Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Still a Spyro Fan Today?
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Still a Spyro Fan Today? [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 16:22:14 20/04/2011 | Topic Creator
This topic is for fans who still adores Spyro today, who don't take part in neither the Legend, the Classic, nor the Skylanders side of the Spyro fanbase trying to compare which Spyro is better than the two other in silly debates. I know I'm not the only one here who still likes Spyro despite Skylanders.

Anyone here who doesn't like or hate one type of Spyro in the series, only likes one side of the franchise so much that you believe Spyro is "dead" when one of the reboots came, are nostalgic Spyro fans itching and whining for Insomniac to do the Classics again, or has only negative feelings about either of the three Spyros and their universe, this topic ISN'T the right topic for you. You can only get some word in, as long as you don't talk negatively about the Spyro series or any of the three Spyros.

No raging, no ranting, and no flaming please.

Classic Spyro - The very first Spyro that started it all. Classic Spyro appeared in the first part of his game series with flying colors, with its originality, platforming, humor, exciting challenges, evil but fun villains, a number of loveable characters, and worlds we've explored and adored through the old games.

Legend Spyro - Another type of Spyro that was revamped as part of the reboot that was aimed for older players and to recreate Spyro's world and universe for future installments when Classic Spyro was losing his popular glow. His game series were in the form of Action games, a genre most older gamers play nowadays. Legend Spyro was a dragon of prophecy; a rare purple dragon born every ten generations capable of manipulating the arts of Fire, Ice, Earth, Electricity, Dragon Time, and others none thought possible. He had a love interest, and even had a few allies that were re-imagined from Classic Spyro's universe to fit in with LoS universe. Legend Spyro's story lasted in a game trilogy, which, unfortunately to some, didn't continue as expected after his conclusion upon defeating the very evil that plagued his world.

Skylanders Spyro - Another re-imagining of Spyro that has qualities of both Classic and Legend Spyro, something most of us have been wishing for. Skylanders Spyro hailed from a rare line of magical purple dragons AND had many exciting adventures, referencing both Classic and Legend Spyro all in one. He has some homage to the Classic Spyro's universe in his upcoming game: having the return of the sheep, the ability to control and use vessels for his advantage, his gathering of gems and other treasures that rests within vases, chests, or simply lying on the ground, has two main techniques that are very much like Classic Spyro's Charge and Flame attacks, and many other clear references the game developers have researched.

His character design immediately made the majority of the fanbase everywhere go out in a rage and in a wide sense of denial when it first appeared. To some, Skylanders Spyro's very character design is making most of the fanbase immediately try to do the impossible, like sending emails to Activision to make them cancel the game of Skylanders mostly because Spyro looks different rather than playing the game themselves, or demanding the game developers to change his design to the nostalgic fans' liking till they get the design "those fans think that looks like the Spyro they know and love". Some even prefered the Legend Spyro, the type of Spyro they have despised so greatly in the past, over Skylanders Spyro. Fortunately, the fans who still love Spyro today doesn't mind Skylanders Spyro's character design, and still see him as the purple dragon we've adored all these years. It is a possibility, that this Spyro has the potential to get the Spyro series back on track if his new game succeeds.

Now, despite all the drastic changes, the changes in Spyro's character design, the reboots of his universe, in the Spyro franchise, do you still love the Spyro series today?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 18:50:37 21/04/2011 by Aura24
Superspyrodude Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#2 Posted: 16:25:07 20/04/2011
Yes, I do.

As much as I hate to see that no refresh of the old games has been done, I still love that purple dragon. smilie
---
I'm a music composer!
I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him, I am nothing. ~Sergei Rachmaninoff
Cynder985 Ripto Gems: 425
#3 Posted: 16:38:04 20/04/2011
I'm a huge Spyro fan. No matter how much the series changed and no matter how much Spyro looks different, I still love the little guy. smilie

Skylanders looks promising to me already since the game's going back to the series' roots. I don't care how Spyro looks in that game. Not every video game character has to look the same everytime. Only thing that matters to me the most is the gameplay. Heck, Spyro looks freaking awesome in Skylanders! smilie

So yeah, I'm still a fan of the Spyro series. smilie
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#4 Posted: 16:49:34 20/04/2011
I'm still a fan. I'm only a Classic fan and LoS fan as of now. I can't be a fan of Skylanders when it's not out yet. It doesn't look too promising so far due to generic looking gameplay, but if they make some unique levels with interesting gimmicks, it could be good.

Haven't been playing much Spyro recently though.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#5 Posted: 16:54:54 20/04/2011
I'm a fan of Spyro. I enjoy the Classics mostly, I like to play the Legend series from time to time but not too often. And I'm interested in Skylanders too, I also have a Spyro t-shirt with a picture of him on which is just awesome.
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#6 Posted: 17:58:33 20/04/2011
I like how you think you're going to have a topic without flaming and crap, Aura. Really do. It's sad.

That being said, while I am perfectly happy with the Classic Spyro and generally prefer the LoS Spyro, I'm uncertain about Skylanders. Why even make it a big deal? I see it as if Spyro in that one Crash game was a whole other Spyro. *shrug*

I can't say I love Spyro anymore though. I certainly enjoy the games, but I believe the franchise may be getting into deep water (not just because of fans).
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#7 Posted: 18:30:55 20/04/2011
I'm not the Spyro lover I used to be, but I still enjoy the series.

Classics: Loved them.
tLoS: First two were okay. Not keen on DotD.
Skylanders: I love how it looks.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#8 Posted: 18:35:16 20/04/2011
I'm not sure I count. I still like Spyro in general (I wouldn't own all of the console games and keep hunting down the handhelds if I didn't). When I'm alone and not near any other fans, I can even still say I like LoS. And Skylanders looks like a breath of fresh air to me.

So, yeah. I do actually like Spyro itself as a whole, it's just the entire fandom that's worn thin over the years.
emberelora Emerald Sparx Gems: 3059
#9 Posted: 18:40:22 20/04/2011
I do definitely think my love for Spyro has decreased a heck of a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm still not a fan of the games.

To be honest I never got into the LoS series. It's not that I hated them, I have tried them out. I just didn't get drawn into the plot of it all.

I will say the original Spyro trilogy will always be my favourite. Just because they were simple, and I suppose had a lighter feel. They're the sort of games I'll never get bored of, but with the LoS games once I played them I didn't want to play them again.

I'm going to see what Skylanders brings, as from the sounds of it it has the potential to be a very interesting game. I won't judge it until I've played it.

Despite not actually playing a lot of games lately anyways, I'll always enjoy the Spyro series. Although I will admit the fanbase has changed a heck of a lot, and I think sometimes a huge fanbase like that can be a turn off.
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:44:02 20/04/2011 by emberelora
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#10 Posted: 18:41:15 20/04/2011
I fall under this catagory. I love all incarnations of Spyro.

But my tolorance of the fanbase is wearing thin.
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#11 Posted: 18:46:49 20/04/2011
Quote: CAV

Agreed.
The fanbase is at war with itself.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#12 Posted: 18:51:05 20/04/2011
The fanbase isn't bothering me at the moment. I don't care about what the shallow people think.

TBH, I think I'm losing interest in the franchise. Don't know why. There is only one thing keeping me on this site, and it's not Spyro.
For some reason, I just don't feel like playing the ones I own anymore, regardless of whether it's Classic or LoS. smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#13 Posted: 19:20:56 20/04/2011

I agree with this as well. The Spyro fanbase is making the Sonic fanbase look normal. :/
Spyro-Gamer Hunter Gems: 7372
#14 Posted: 21:31:00 20/04/2011
I love Classic Spyro. After all, he IS the one who started it all.
I guess LoS is ok, I'm not as much of a fan for that trilogy as the Classics.
And I probably won't ever buy Skylanders. I don't like it that much anyway. And it's just a game that includes Spyro. I don't think it's based on Classic Spyro and LoS.
Skyqueen Emerald Sparx Gems: 3282
#15 Posted: 00:17:51 21/04/2011
I love both Classic and LoS Spyro. Although I'm starting to like Classic Spyro more than LoS, but I still do like LoS. I don't know what to think about Skylanders since it hasn't come out yet.
---
N/A
#16 Posted: 00:33:25 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyro-Gamer
I love Classic Spyro. After all, he IS the one who started it all.
I guess LoS is ok, I'm not as much of a fan for that trilogy as the Classics.
And I probably won't ever buy Skylanders. I don't like it that much anyway. And it's just a game that includes Spyro. I don't think it's based on Classic Spyro and LoS.

If you only love one of the Spyros and don't like the others much, may I ask why did you post here?

Skylanders Spyro is indeed based on the qualities of both Classic and Legend Spyro. Or are you talking about the game itself that you don't know much about, never played, and only judging by gameplay videos?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:39:33 21/04/2011 by Aura24
#17 Posted: 00:44:49 21/04/2011
I haven't seen or played either.
But Skylanders is a game that includes Spyro. It is not a game that is entiriely based about him.
And so what if I only like one form of Spyro? That is my opinion.
#18 Posted: 00:48:48 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Indeed it is.

So, Spyro-Gamer, if you like only one form of Spyro, then do you like the LoS Spyro and Skylanders Spyro as equal as the Classic Spyro? Your answer to this very question will reveal if you really count as a Spyro fan who still loves Spyro in all of his forms or not, on this topic made only for fans who love all the forms of Spyro and is still a Spyro fan despite the changes.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 02:08:39 21/04/2011 by Aura24
Sukia Green Sparx Gems: 281
#19 Posted: 00:55:14 21/04/2011
I like all versions of Spyro, I don't mind that much how his appearance changes. I loved Classic Spyro and LoS Spyro, but I have yet to see about Skylanders Spyro. His design doesn't bother me, it's just that you have to BUY the characters that bothers me. As long as they're not too expensive/unreasonable in price.
#20 Posted: 00:55:54 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Sukia
I like all versions of Spyro, I don't mind that much how his appearance changes. I loved Classic Spyro and LoS Spyro, but I have yet to see about Skylanders Spyro. His design doesn't bother me, it's just that you have to BUY the characters that bothers me. As long as they're not too expensive/unreasonable in price.

Don't worry, you don't have to buy all the toys. And they all cost under $10. :3
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#21 Posted: 01:00:52 21/04/2011
I'm like Razz. I dunno if I count or not. I mean, I love the classics, I don't really like TLOS (ANB was quite descant), but I'm really interested in Skylanders. I've never been so interested in a Spyro game for a long time. C:

Classics will always be the best to me, but I'm liking the looks of Skylanders, and I'm sick and tired of all the hate....
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Smirf991 Green Sparx Gems: 441
#22 Posted: 01:33:12 21/04/2011
If I count, I don't know. I will leave that up to whoever wants to decide. (Not really).
I neither love nor hate the Spyro games, as a whole.
#23 Posted: 02:09:18 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I'm like Razz. I dunno if I count or not. I mean, I love the classics, I don't really like TLOS (ANB was quite descant), but I'm really interested in Skylanders. I've never been so interested in a Spyro game for a long time. C:

Classics will always be the best to me, but I'm liking the looks of Skylanders, and I'm sick and tired of all the hate....

I'm sick of all the hate too. Nothing stays the same forever, not even the character design of Spyro.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:10:46 21/04/2011 by Aura24
#24 Posted: 02:12:56 21/04/2011
if You wanted to know, that is one of the comments that gets a lot of responses that you did not ask for in this topic.
IT is life, there will be haters.
There is nothing that anybody can do. smilie
#25 Posted: 02:15:55 21/04/2011
I love the heck out of the Insomniac games and I'm disgusted by the way many fans, especially the classic ones, have been acting about Skylanders. Heck, one of the nicer things I can say about LoS is that it looked good (in spite of some...questionable character designs). Skylanders looks great and it's a nice breath of fresh air for a franchise that's been stagnating of late.
#26 Posted: 02:17:18 21/04/2011
And so what if I only like one form of Spyro? That is my opinion.

Then you shouldn't really be here. This is for people that like all 3. smilie
#27 Posted: 02:18:53 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Smirf991
if You wanted to know, that is one of the comments that gets a lot of responses that you did not ask for in this topic.
IT is life, there will be haters.
There is nothing that anybody can do. smilie

The haters would know better than to comment on this topic, if they read the first post that is.

Quote: Razz
I love the heck out of the Insomniac games and I'm disgusted by the way many fans, especially the classic ones, have been acting about Skylanders. Heck, one of the nicer things I can say about LoS is that it looked good (in spite of some...questionable character designs). Skylanders looks great and it's a nice breath of fresh air for a franchise that's been stagnating of late.

Most of them acting picky, that's what. Wanting to change Skylanders Spyro's character design to make him look like a copy of Classic Spyro and saying that Skylander Spyro's design "ruined their childhood" and all that talk.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:21:49 21/04/2011 by Aura24
#28 Posted: 02:23:32 21/04/2011
I like LoS too! The graphics are great for that. The storyline is a bit muddled to me. It's like Spyro is having another life. Exactly how old was he in the Classics? Or is ANB, when he is shown chasing Sparx, set after him rescuing the dragons, claiming orbs, saving eggs, freeing dragonflies and defeating Red?
#29 Posted: 02:23:48 21/04/2011
I hear the exact same thing from LoS fans, but what gets me is that I sort of expected it from them (younger crowd, generally a part of the generation that feels entitled to whatever they want, etc.) but I thought the classic fans were above that kind of crap since most of them are older (or so I thought; some of the hate I've seen is coming from people nearer my age, though).
#30 Posted: 02:28:28 21/04/2011
I know that if this topic goes past the first page, the haters would most likely ignore the first comment.
I am just saying.

I love the designs of the games with burning hate. ???

But I can't call the new design a "Breath of fresh air", it's to expensive to pump it down here.
#31 Posted: 02:28:37 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
I like LoS too! The graphics are great for that. The storyline is a bit muddled to me. It's like Spyro is having another life. Exactly how old was he in the Classics? Or is ANB, when he is shown chasing Sparx, set after him rescuing the dragons, claiming orbs, saving eggs, freeing dragonflies and defeating Red?

Yes, but do you like Skylanders Spyro as equal as Legend Spyro and Classic Spyro?

Spyro was possibly 12 years old, when the third game, YotD, came out since the game took place during the Year of the Dragon, which happens every twelve years.

I hear the exact same thing from LoS fans, but what gets me is that I sort of expected it from them (younger crowd, generally a part of the generation that feels entitled to whatever they want, etc.) but I thought the classic fans were above that kind of crap since most of them are older (or so I thought; some of the hate I've seen is coming from people nearer my age, though).

And some of the fans now prefer Legend Spyro's design, the one they despised so much, over Skylanders Spyro.
---
#32 Posted: 02:34:58 21/04/2011
Haha, kudos Smirf991! smilie

Aura: I had to spend a lot of time getting used to LoSpyro's looks and, even then, it was mostly just making excuses; he's cute but pretty bland for me. Skylanders Spyro (Skyro?) is so over the top and unlike anything that came before him that I couldn't help but notice. smilie Design-wise, I like Skyro even more than ISpyro (it helps that Skyro takes several pages from the Charles Zembillas guide to drawing purple dragons smilie).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:35:51 21/04/2011 by Razz
#33 Posted: 02:37:50 21/04/2011
I like LoS too!

I thought you said you didn't?
#34 Posted: 02:41:34 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Smirf991
I know that if this topic goes past the first page, the haters would most likely ignore the first comment.
I am just saying.

I love the designs of the games with burning hate. ???

But I can't call the new design a "Breath of fresh air", it's to expensive to pump it down here.

You mean "burning passion" smilie

Haha, kudos Smirf991! smilie

Aura: I had to spend a lot of time getting used to LoSpyro's looks and, even then, it was mostly just making excuses; he's cute but pretty bland for me. Skylanders Spyro (Skyro?) is so over the top and unlike anything that came before him that I couldn't help but notice. smilie Design-wise, I like Skyro even more than ISpyro (it helps that Skyro takes several pages from the Charles Zembillas guide to drawing purple dragons smilie).

Spyro still looks cute and purple. They kept his color, he still looks like a dragon, and still has that spunky look on his face X3

I like LoS too!

I thought you said you didn't?

I thought she said that as well in the past, as I recall... <.<
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:42:34 21/04/2011 by Aura24
#35 Posted: 02:43:24 21/04/2011
I don't really like TLOS (ANB was quite descant

This is the proof.
#36 Posted: 02:44:17 21/04/2011
I said I didn't like it much. It's alright. As I said, I'm a bit confused with the storyline in ANB.
I haven't played it yet, but I'm still confused with it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:44:47 21/04/2011 by Spyro-Gamer
#37 Posted: 02:47:57 21/04/2011
"I don't really like" doesn't mean "I think it's alright".
#38 Posted: 02:50:15 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
I don't really like TLOS (ANB was quite descant

This is the proof.

At least DarkCynder_543 was being honest, she wasn't sure if she counted as a Spyro fan who likes all three Spyros or not.
---
#39 Posted: 02:51:50 21/04/2011
OK THEN.
LoS is alright.
Does that make sense?
#40 Posted: 02:53:18 21/04/2011 | Topic Creator
OK THEN.
LoS is alright.
Does that make sense?

Spyro-Gamer, you don't have to force yourself to like LoS to be on this topic. If you don't like all Spyros, including Skylanders, then you don't have to post on here.
---
#41 Posted: 02:57:34 21/04/2011
No, I said LoS is alright. That means liking it, and not liking it. In the middle. Bah what am I saying...?
#42 Posted: 03:04:06 21/04/2011
@aura

no I meant hate.
I know what I meant.

@S-G
There will never be anything that will help you communicate everything exactly the way that you think it. Sorry about that. I know how it feels.
#43 Posted: 03:08:30 21/04/2011
Hmmm...
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#44 Posted: 03:16:39 21/04/2011
Even though I may not be as much of a Spyro fan as I was when I was around 5, I'm still a Spyro fan today, and I'm personally hoping that Skylanders Spyro gets his own series if this game does well. I like Spyro's design in that game.

I agree. I love the Insomniac Spyro games to death, and I even like ETD, but the fans just give the series a bad name. smilie

They should at least wait and play Skylanders first before complaining.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:25:44 21/04/2011 by DarkCynder_543
SpaceKase Green Sparx Gems: 255
#45 Posted: 04:05:07 21/04/2011
I don't think there's a particular Spyro that I hate.

The Insomniac games were my childhood, and I still love them. Despite the pixellated, polygonal glory of them all, I think they still hold up pretty well, even if they were fairly easy; they were all a blast to play. Every time I play them, I have fun, and feel better afterwards. I love Insomniac Spyro, himself, too; spunk and fire and stubbornness, combined with genuine caring, all wrapped up into one cute, purple, scaly package.

The Legend of Spyro trilogy, I was skeptical on at first, but I tried it, and now it's grown on me. They're not as fun to play as the first three, I don't think, but still decent. The games, themselves, are only okay as games. Not good, not bad, just okay. As Spyro games, though? I think they're a really interesting take. I loved the epic-sounding music and the darker atmosphere; for that reason, I can see why a lot of fans prefer it to the earlier games. Legend Spyro took a while to grow on me, too, but he did. Elijah Wood did a pretty good job on him; his voice gave him a much softer and less mischievous, but no less virtuous feel. Again, it was an interesting take on a character I was already fond of.

I guess I can't give a fair analysis of Skylander Spyro, since his game hasn't come out yet, but what I've seen of him and his game so far looks promising. Even without taking Hans Zimmerman and the writers of Toy Story into account, the settings for the game look pleasant and fun to play, and I LOVE that they've brought the sheep back, hopefully to charge down and flame, just like the old days. smilie Apparently, there's been a lot of backlash against Spyro's design, itself. </understatement> Well...I'm not a part of that. I'll admit, my first reaction to it was "What the...!?" I mean...he's had four designs before that, guys, can't you give it a rest!? Still, it's grown on me now, like Legend Spyro. He's so ugly, he's actually kinda cute. Just look at that little mischievous, underbite-laden grin! :3 I'm looking forward to this game's release. When it finally comes, I hope I'll still be able to say that there is no version of Spyro that I dislike.
---
None of your business, Sam.
#46 Posted: 04:10:25 21/04/2011
I agree with most of that.
but all I can say is that he is so ugly, he is still ugly.
I like the design, It is something new for us to enjoy and destroy.
#47 Posted: 04:41:47 21/04/2011
I do agree with some of that also. Spyro is ugly but I guess he's a little bit cute. But I know I'll never try playing the game. I don't have the game console.
#48 Posted: 04:47:02 21/04/2011
What are you on now?
#49 Posted: 04:48:04 21/04/2011
Skylanders. I can't buy the game. I don't have the game console for it. And I don't really want the game anyway.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:48:32 21/04/2011 by Spyro-Gamer
#50 Posted: 11:48:10 21/04/2011

That's what gets me, too. Most people I've seen that are around my age keep complaining about Skylanders, too. I just find that really immature and pathetic. I know they hate the game, but they need to act their age about it and not act like children. <.<
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me