Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Perception [CLOSED]
Smirf991 Green Sparx Gems: 441
#1 Posted: 02:15:30 22/03/2011 | Topic Creator
I have no idea what the right place for this is, so it is here.
I also have no idea if this is already out there.

Perception, I think, is the main reason that haters hate this game. How they view Spyro is to limited to allow the thought that Skylander is, in fact, a Spyro game. The entire Spyro fanbase, as far as I can tell, is made of two people, those that keep an open mind to what a dragon can be, and those who only accept a dragon as something that follows rules.

Skylander, because it is not a game for Spyro and only Spyro, is controversial. It is targeting the people that haven't set what they like in a Spyro game. Acti wants to allow the games to grow and expand in different ways, or widen the views of the new generations.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#2 Posted: 02:25:55 22/03/2011
That is a good theory. Although I don't get why they would be afraid of a wider universe when they accepted LoS characters so easily. It isn't out of the question, but there are things out there that could prove this theory wrong.
#3 Posted: 02:31:44 22/03/2011 | Topic Creator
Los was still about Spyro. Mostly Spyro.
Also, the only playable character(s) was/were dragon(s)
#4 Posted: 02:43:25 22/03/2011
Yes, but people still found it to be just fine how they were introduced to new characters.

And playing as Cynder didn't seem to be a problem (people actually prefered playing as her). So why not a few other characters, most of which you don't even need to buy/play as?
#5 Posted: 03:22:20 22/03/2011 | Topic Creator
I know. I agree with you. People should embrace the idea of different characters, but the non dragon characters is what they dislike. People were fine with Cynder because she is a dragon.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#6 Posted: 16:49:03 22/03/2011
While I don't agree with Skylanders being a Spyro game(simply because Activision themselves said it wasn't), I agree with everything else.

Only, I don't really like the approach to different characters, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
ccrogers15 Ripto Gems: 248
#7 Posted: 23:39:34 22/03/2011
activision is stupid for what they done. Honesty why would a company reboot the original spyro series after shadow legacy? Honetly! The series was good the way it was and i think the LOS series killed it, then this just destroyed spyro for good. Are they retarted? Look on wiki! the ratings and sales are outstanding for the first 3 then after all of them were bad! Why dont they get the hint?
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#8 Posted: 23:40:57 22/03/2011
Ccrogers15, calm yourself down. smilie
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#9 Posted: 02:13:00 23/03/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: ccrogers15
activision is stupid for what they done. Honesty why would a company reboot the original spyro series after shadow legacy? Honetly! The series was good the way it was and i think the LOS series killed it, then this just destroyed spyro for good. Are they retarted? Look on wiki! the ratings and sales are outstanding for the first 3 then after all of them were bad! Why dont they get the hint?

This is a prime example of the people who can't "open their eyes".

The second kind of people.
#10 Posted: 02:16:33 23/03/2011
And ccrogers has just given us an example of him being a fan who can't open his eyes, and only let his emotions over a video game get the better of him. X3
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#11 Posted: 02:22:20 23/03/2011
Quote: ccrogers15
activision is stupid for what they done. Honesty why would a company reboot the original spyro series after shadow legacy?

That wasn't Activision. Sierra did that.
#12 Posted: 02:27:50 23/03/2011 | Topic Creator
I thought that Shadow was a great time to reboot. The characters needed a change.
#13 Posted: 10:25:21 23/03/2011
Quote: Smirf991
I thought that Shadow was a great time to reboot. The characters needed a change.

Characters needed a change, and Shadow left a bad taste in the mouths of many, including me. It was only expected that the series would eventually be rebooted. Better sooner than later.
#14 Posted: 21:45:30 23/03/2011 | Topic Creator
Now, if we can convince every one here that the reboot was going to happen, and that game was a good place, then the world will be a slightly better place. But...

human nature is a *****.
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#15 Posted: 20:30:59 24/03/2011
Nothing wrong with a reboot if done properly. By done properly I mean that they maintain the 'essence of a character and its game. By essence I mean what made that game what it was (ie. enjoyable, popular) in the first place. If LOS had been the same old Spyro (cocky kid dragon, plenty of comedy, centered on platforming and scavenger hunting,and the same characters) with a slightly darker plot and moderate but necessary changes to make it all work and fit well together, then it would have been spectacular. But to just throw away what Spyro always was to his fans (See above) and replace it with something that was actually nothing like what the fans called Spyro was a stupid, careless thing to do. Fine, I get that change was needed as were new fans, but they could have made the changes and drawn in new fans fairly easily without alienating and in many cases outright enraging and upsetting so many old fans.

*Sigh* Whatever, it's over now (thank GOODNESS!) and thier lack of caring and attention paid to older games has already done its damage to the game and its fanbase, end of story. All we can do now is sit back and hope that this Skylanders endeavour manages to please both sides of the fandom (at least those open enough to try it, LOS and Classic included) as well as draw in some more fans who won't rant and rave and thereby repel some older fans from the fanbase, as was the case with some Cynder and SxC fans.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#16 Posted: 20:38:54 24/03/2011
LoS had a lot of Classic influence, IMO.
---
#17 Posted: 20:42:37 24/03/2011
Now, if we can convince every one here that the reboot was going to happen, and that game was a good place, then the world will be a slightly better place. But...

human nature is a *****.

Agreed.

Quote: sonicbrawler182
LoS had a lot of Classic influence, IMO.

To me, Skylanders has more Classic influence than LoS.
#18 Posted: 20:54:40 24/03/2011
^ What he said (the second thing) Or at least it seems that way so far.
---
#19 Posted: 20:55:10 24/03/2011
I hardly see any in Skylanders. Art wise, it has more Classic influence than LoS, but not gameplay. Skylanders looks closer to LoS in terms of gameplay to me, as it clearly has more of a focus on fighting. But LoS had a lot of platforming, and even more puzzles than the Classics had.

And I think it's more important to focus on a fuctional game than character essence and similarities...*coughETDandSonic06cough*
---
#20 Posted: 21:54:35 24/03/2011 | Topic Creator
I think the definition of a platforming game is stretching a little, but what is now being added I think helps Platforming games.

Platforming games are "jumping" from "platform" to "platform" while getting the character to solve puzzles and over come challenges. There is nothing about open levels that makes a platforming game, but they help, a lot.

Jumping and Platform do not have a set definition in this definition.
#21 Posted: 21:58:26 24/03/2011
Yeah, LoS feels more like a platformer to me. The only Classic game I felt was really platformy was AHT.
---
#22 Posted: 22:18:02 24/03/2011 | Topic Creator
They tried to make that one more of a platform game, but they never really succeeded.
#23 Posted: 22:19:03 24/03/2011
I think they did.....there was a lot of jumping around, and Spyro was more nimble in it.
---
#24 Posted: 22:27:05 24/03/2011 | Topic Creator
Yeah, that is one part of a platforming game. Now where did the other elements go, I wonder... Oh!!! into jokes about the game!! smilie

I now know what to add to this
two people, those that keep an open mind to what a dragon can be but have preferences, and those who only accept a dragon as something that follows rules and tend to ignore reason.

bold = added

Quote: anything
I can quote anything!!! smilie
#25 Posted: 22:29:21 24/03/2011
Yeah, that is one part of a platforming game. Now where did the other elements go, I wonder... Oh!!! into jokes about the game!! smilie

I now know what to add to this
two people, those that keep an open mind to what a dragon can be but have preferences, and those who only accept a dragon as something that follows rules and tend to ignore reason.

bold = added

Quote: anything
I can quote anything!!! smilie

.....I'm sorry, what?
---
#26 Posted: 22:31:16 24/03/2011 | Topic Creator
which...

The first quote is from the top of the page, the second is a joke.
#27 Posted: 12:00:43 25/03/2011
I hardly see any in Skylanders. Art wise, it has more Classic influence than LoS, but not gameplay. Skylanders looks closer to LoS in terms of gameplay to me, as it clearly has more of a focus on fighting. But LoS had a lot of platforming, and even more puzzles than the Classics had.

And I think it's more important to focus on a fuctional game than character essence and similarities...*coughETDandSonic06cough*

Judging from the trailer, I'd say SLSA has plenty of platforming, and only light combat. LOS on the other hand only had a little platforming (ie. getting up stairs, getting over the odd hole; except TEN, that had a better amount of platforming than ANB or DotD, IMO) and TONES of combat (Stupid Tall Plains ship, stupid respawning horde in the Well of Souls).
---
#28 Posted: 15:34:09 25/03/2011
By the looks of the trailer, you can't even manually jump.
---
#29 Posted: 15:56:53 25/03/2011
By the looks of the trailer, you can't even manually jump.

That's just it right there, conkerbrawler. You're relying on the trailer's minor clips of Spyro instead of upcoming gameplay of him. smilie When more gameplay is revealed, we'll see Spyro's moves and actions more.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:09:27 25/03/2011 by Aura24
#30 Posted: 16:42:53 25/03/2011
It's called previewing, Aurakins. Impressions....trailers are made to give us them, and the trailer was basically a montage of fights and killing and BLOODY MURDER!!!......aherm....and it had a few spring pads....
---
#31 Posted: 16:45:54 25/03/2011
Please. We only saw Spyro's fire breath, charge attack, his flight upgrade, and we saw him running in the teaser trailer, that's all. That doesn't mean Spyro can't jump manually at anytime. He needs the spring pads to get to higher places obviously.

When more gameplay is revealed, then we'll see.
---
#32 Posted: 16:53:28 25/03/2011
I've seen some gameplay footage of Spyro. He can jump freely like in every other game.

And besides, plenty of games don't have jumping, and there isn't a problem.
#33 Posted: 16:55:24 25/03/2011
The tell tale signs of my statement:

1) Did you see the height of some of the ledges the characters used spring pads for? Seriously, I could make those jumps. Why is it they can't without a spring pad?

2) Characters like Gill Grunt and Ignitor don't look capable of jumping. However, we know Gill Grunt can use a water jetpack, and that Spyro can fly. I'm assuming some characters have a "hover" ability as opposed to a regular jump, that let's them travel on a raised layer, similar to some top-down games I have played in LBP2.
---
#34 Posted: 16:55:29 25/03/2011
It might be a problem for hardcore Spyro fans who are used to jumping and gliding as Spyro.
---
#35 Posted: 16:56:53 25/03/2011
Some characters will obviously be able to jump higher than others.
#36 Posted: 17:40:13 27/03/2011 | Topic Creator
There are 32 character. The producers are creative and repeative. There will be other characters that can jet. If spyo has wings, what makes him who he is is flying, why would they not add gliding?

Edit:
That what the wrong thing to say:
I should have said, "Why wouldn't Spyro glide? And why would all the characters jump to the same height? they are different in material."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:13:21 02/04/2011 by Smirf991
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me