Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What do you think is happening to Spyro?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What do you think is happening to Spyro? [CLOSED]
Spyros_fan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1028
#1 Posted: 19:44:55 20/03/2011 | Topic Creator
With Skylanders coming out, I'm not sure...

I mean, it's the first Spyro game without the whole SPYRO thing... it's SKYLANDERS, then Spyro.

I think Spyro is turning into what most things are these days... and that's not good for us old fans. A lot of Spyro fanatics were turned away from TLoS, and I highly doubt they like this new idea. I LOVED Spyro's old look. I didn't quite like any game from after YotD through ANB. People don't like change.

I also don't like the idea of 'toys' being integrated... do you know how much money they'll make from this? If it results in a pure CONSOLE game in the future, I'm ok then.

Still, it's Spyro... I might get it and the Spyro figure (it better come with the game smilie )

So, what are your thoughts on the subject? Are you sill a fan?
---
Visit my dA! (my username is dragonweyrgirl)
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#2 Posted: 19:49:18 20/03/2011
3 Figures come with the game... If Spyro didn't, it would render the game unplayable... Also, Activision did say a while ago that Skylanders was made to introduce a new audience to Spyro, so they can make their decision on what to make next after they know they've got a good and reliable target market.

Also, the whole plot of Skylanders revolves around Spyro being taken from his own world to Skyland. So a game set after Skylanders would most likely be in the dragon worlds... It would probably still be a re-boot, but set in a more original like world.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#3 Posted: 19:55:08 20/03/2011
I'm still a fan, and I'm waiting to try out the game before saying whether or not it sucks. I am interested in what they are trying, and this is actually a step in the right direction for Activision, since the Spyro film never would've made as much money as Skylanders will. The toy idea is something new to the table, and if Toys For Bob could actually pull it off, it can be revolutionary in the world of gaming.

To me, this is a possible stepping stone for Spyro. If the reception is good, then Skylanders will continue as it's own franchise, while Spyro will get an independant game. Or in other words, Activision is trying to dig Spyro out of his grave slowly and carefully, because if they do so quickly (make an independant game on the spot), the Spyro franchise is much more likely to crash and burn.

People don't like change, but it happens, and you have to get used to it. So far, most Classic fans have been whining about the design, and continue to hang on to how this isn't the game that they wanted, even though the entire game is based off of the Insomniac trilogy that made Spyro the cultural icon he is today.

So in the end, I'm interested in the game. I'll probably wait for critics to review the game before getting it, and even then I'll perfer to try it first. But it's an interesting idea that can turn out very well, and is garenteed to give Activision the money they so desire.

And yes, Spyro comes free with the game.
#4 Posted: 20:00:30 20/03/2011 | Topic Creator
I thought I remembered reading that figures were included. Thanks for clearing that up smilie

@CAV:
I haven't been on dS in foreeever smilie what do you guys call a Spyro fan who likes the old games and the trilogy? That would be me :3

I'm interested in the game too, but I'm trying not to sound (so sorry if I did smilie') like I hate the game already. I do like change if it's employed properly, and I hope this turns out ok.

As long as it doesn't involve me to invest too much money, I'll get it smilie (like you have to buy so many things to have an advantage)
---
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#5 Posted: 20:24:52 20/03/2011
Quote: Spyros_fan
I thought I remembered reading that figures were included. Thanks for clearing that up smilie

@CAV:
I haven't been on dS in foreeever smilie what do you guys call a Spyro fan who likes the old games and the trilogy? That would be me :3

I'm interested in the game too, but I'm trying not to sound (so sorry if I did smilie') like I hate the game already. I do like change if it's employed properly, and I hope this turns out ok.

As long as it doesn't involve me to invest too much money, I'll get it smilie (like you have to buy so many things to have an advantage)

You only need 1 toy to complete the game normally, to complete it 100% you'll need to buy 5 extra toys (one for the rest of the elements) than the 3 that come with it...
#6 Posted: 20:44:40 20/03/2011
Quote: Spyros_fan
@CAV:

Someone that likes both incarnations of Spyro is considered..........a fan of both Classic and LoS. *shrug* I fall under the same catagory as well. There was a topic for those kind of fans, but it died.

It didn't sound like you hate the game. It sounded like you had mixed feelings.

And like Bionicle said, you only need one toy to play through the game.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#7 Posted: 20:46:43 20/03/2011
Maybe if skylanders is successful Spyro will be in his own games again and be in a sequel to skylander.
#8 Posted: 20:50:49 20/03/2011 | Topic Creator
:3 thanks guys~
---
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#9 Posted: 00:28:11 21/03/2011
From what reactions I see to LoS, AHT, and Skylanders, I think Spyro is going the route Sonic did, only in a far worse way.

AHT: This was quite a bit different than the first four, which were pretty similar (no matter how much you bawwww about ETD's gliches), and just didn't seem to be accepted too much. Could be the childish nature.

LoS: As this was a reboot, plenty of people were not happy with it. New fomula, new world, redesigns, ect ect. While some people like it and like it AND the original games, TEN's immense difficulty (unless you slave through and get all upgrades and Dark Spyro) and DotD's horribleness (critic reviews, as most fan reactions are pretty generic and from younger fans) did not help it. Neither did the serious and dark story.

Skylanders: Not a Spyro game, but it's been three years since DotD, which shows not a huge department is working on Spyro (unlike Sonic, who gets at least one game a year, main stream or side game), and this game is based on Spyro, which will catch the attention of Spyro fans. This may also show what Activision is thinking of the franchise. However, there is yet ANOTHER redesign and different universe, which isn't helping.

So I think Spyro's going down the crapper... I might like all the games (excluding DotD, but I'm being general here), but that doesn't mean Spyro's non-fanbase image is being helped, and since Spyro doesn't have a MASSIVE fan base, that really matters. Mario and Sonic can pop out horrible games and they'll be bought well enough to pay for the production cost and then some, but not Spyro.

*ramble ramble*
#10 Posted: 00:34:54 21/03/2011
^That post kinda shows that what's killing Spyro is the raging fanbase that constantly says that a certain game isn't the game they wanted and how the developers should listen to the fans. And that's ironic when the game with the most hate is DotD, which was made using suggestions from the fans.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#11 Posted: 02:57:43 21/03/2011
Yeah, the fanbase right now is just being picky on the type of Spyro game they want. They think that by complaining to Activision or the game developer making the game, they will get what they want in Skylanders that will make them satisfied. The devs shouldn't be listening to fans in the first place, because of fanservice and other things that will make a Spyro game go wrong in the end..
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:03:23 21/03/2011 by Aura24
#12 Posted: 03:17:11 21/03/2011
^Like I said, DotD is proof of how it's not a good idea to listen to the fans. I like the game, but so many more people hate it.
#13 Posted: 03:25:10 21/03/2011
Activision should keep ignoring the fans who are picky, especially since they've seen the negative results of DotD when Sierra listened to the fanbase...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:27:46 21/03/2011 by Aura24
#14 Posted: 03:28:17 21/03/2011
What I find funny though is how the fans hated it, but the critics thought it was decent at best. :3
#15 Posted: 03:42:01 21/03/2011
The Spyro fans who think Spyro is done for when they saw Skylanders and complaining to Activision, are the ones bringing the franchise down. It's not Activision who is "ruining the franchise", it's the Spyro fanbase who are picky...
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#16 Posted: 04:09:36 21/03/2011
I'm with Aura and CAV: it's not the games going downhill, it's the fans.

Critically, DotD was a pretty big failure, and it was made with fan input. The fans got what they wanted and many of them felt mediocre about it at best (some hated it outright) while it introduced into the fanbase a new subset of fans which created a rift so wide that nothing will bridge it.

So far, Skylanders is actually proving quite successful where it counts: with adults and kids who are the target audience and who are outside of the Spyro fandom proper. It's also worth noting that this is the first time since the Insomniac days that we've seen this much Spyro news in the gaming world, and the first time ever that we've seen him appear outside of gaming circles (even at his best with Insomniac, USA Today didn't write about him).

Honestly, it fills me with glee that the fanbrats are screaming their heads off about this and claiming it's going to fail when, in truth, it's already surpassed their beloved "true" Spyro games.
#17 Posted: 04:15:01 21/03/2011
Heh, their "true" Spyro games... smilie

Their Spyro games they want that are "true" to them are the ones they want Insomniac to develop so badly. They can keep on dreaming.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:22:14 21/03/2011 by Aura24
#18 Posted: 05:12:34 21/03/2011
I don't even think it's that. I suspect that by "true Spyro game" they really mean "my fanfic about Spyro x Cynder/poorly realized OC" or "my bad fanfic about my poorly realized dragon OCs who are better than Spyro" in game form. The few people who really just want the Insomniac games again are generally delusional and just can't admit to themselves that it will never happen and even if they just rereleased the old games with spiffed up graphics/sound they'd whine.

Activision is doing the right thing by giving this fandom the finger. Frankly, we've earned it over the past three years.
#19 Posted: 05:17:54 21/03/2011
Or to some fans, the addition of Cynder or other popular characters from the Spyro series in the games that would be a Spyro game "true". Or that some fans are dedicated on hating Activision that they think it's only the company's way of making money and "milk the franchise".

Yeah, they should keep on ignoring the fandom's demands.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:36:20 21/03/2011 by Aura24
#20 Posted: 05:39:11 21/03/2011
Oh, let's not mince words here. When fans say they want "other popular characters" in their Spyro, they mean "Cynder, and only Cynder" every time. They throw in the "other" in an attempt to not look too much like the hordes of frothing Cyndorks (unless they're one of the three people who remember that there were characters in this series that weren't dragons, in which case "Cynder" usually doesn't enter into their vocabulary).

I've been watching a fair bit of Zero Punctuation this evening. smilie
#21 Posted: 05:41:42 21/03/2011
I've seen fans wanting Sparx to be added in Skylanders so the game would be a Spyro game to them too, since Spyro and Sparx has been together since the very beginning.
---
#22 Posted: 06:12:23 21/03/2011
I've seen that around, too, but it took them several weeks to notice Sparx was missing (as far as we know). The "b'aww, I want Cynder!" started almost immediately.
#23 Posted: 15:15:11 21/03/2011
^Actually, it was rather fast for people to note Sparx missing. Just one day after it was announced there was a topic asking where was Sparx. Cynder took a few more days, but in the end they're easily the louder bunch. Because apparently it's a bad thing to miss a character that was small and forgettable (I usually forgot Sparx was there), but was around for the entire franchise. But it's a crime to not put in a character that was made for one series and one series only, that was finished and laid to rest almost 3 years ago.

And regarding an earlier comment, the fans mostly hated DotD, while critical response was lukewarm, and in some places better than the first two LoS games. This shows that only the fans were really butthurt about the game, which is ironic when the game is based off of their own ideas. It makes me laugh every time, especially when they say that IGN hated DotD, even though they gave it a 7.3/10.
#24 Posted: 01:49:11 22/03/2011
Those fans failed to see that their fan suggestions caused DotD to receive low reception, and now they're doing it again with Skylanders.
---
#25 Posted: 02:05:02 22/03/2011
^Low reception with the fans, not the critics. :3
#26 Posted: 17:17:45 22/03/2011
Oh right smilie
---
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#27 Posted: 17:20:22 22/03/2011
Yeah, DotD actually didn't do too badly with the critics....better than Sonic Unleashed.....smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#28 Posted: 20:39:08 22/03/2011
^this

And in some places DotD did better than the other LoS games, although usually ANB came out on top.
#29 Posted: 21:28:47 22/03/2011
I personally don't see what is so great about ANB. It's overrated in the same way Super Mario Galaxy 1 is.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#30 Posted: 21:29:59 22/03/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I personally don't see what is so great about ANB. It's overrated in the same way Super Mario Galaxy 1 is.

And AHT is under-rated? Lol.
#31 Posted: 21:34:15 22/03/2011

Mario Galaxy 1 is overrated? No. The second is better though.

And ANB isn't really overrated. I'd say it's exactly where it should be, at the 7.5-7.7 mark.
#32 Posted: 21:36:43 22/03/2011
I thought Mario Galaxy 1 was overrated.
It was a great idea, yes, but it was WAAAY too easy, and as a result, was repetitive.
Same goes for ANB.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#33 Posted: 21:46:36 22/03/2011
Quote: CAV

And ANB isn't really overrated. I'd say it's exactly where it should be, at the 7.5-7.7 mark.

I looked on GameSpot and they gave it a 5.0
#34 Posted: 21:52:38 22/03/2011
Gamespot gave Sonic Unleashed a lower score than Sonic 06...they are not to be trusted....
---
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#35 Posted: 21:53:02 22/03/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

I looked on GameSpot and they gave it a 5.0

I'd say that's reasonably what I'd say in my Book, but at the end of the day there is no "Right" or "Wrong"... it all falls down the the Gamers opinion.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#36 Posted: 22:00:46 22/03/2011
I hope SSA isn't the new Raving Rabbids, where Rayman is pushed out of the way until he's absent completely.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#37 Posted: 22:05:02 22/03/2011
Quote: TheWereCat
I hope SSA isn't the new Raving Rabbids, where Rayman is pushed out of the way until he's absent completely.

It's all too easy for it to happen.
I hope it's more in line with Kid Icarus Uprising.
---
#38 Posted: 22:06:48 22/03/2011
Gamespot gave Sonic Unleashed a lower score than Sonic 06...they are not to be trusted....

How are they not to be trusted just because of that? They gave many games a lower score than Sonic 06. They gave Black Knight the EXACT same score as Sonic 06.
#39 Posted: 22:07:48 22/03/2011
OK, I phrased that wrong....they are not to be trusted by MOI!
---
#40 Posted: 22:12:49 22/03/2011
To me, Gamespot is like everyone else, hit and miss.

And to them, ANB is the best LoS game, with a 5.5/10, while the other two each got 5/10. They didn't like them. But at least they weren't THAT harsh on TEN like IGN was.
#41 Posted: 22:14:27 22/03/2011
Yeah....IGN gave TEN a lower score than Soni...*shot*

...But at least they had a decent DotD review...
---
#42 Posted: 22:16:53 22/03/2011
They were harsh on TEN, but at the same time they made sense. They weren't like X-Play and hated on the game just because they gave Samus a personality and made her look human. THAT'S NOT A VALID REASON TO GIVE A GAME A 2/5!

Ahem, sorry. Got a little carried away there.
#43 Posted: 22:18:47 22/03/2011
I was just annoyed IGN lied about some things in their TEN review.
---
#44 Posted: 22:25:39 22/03/2011
For the most part they made sense though.

But I really hated X-Play's review of Metroid Other M. Yeah, the game isn't fantastic. I'd give it a 7.5/10 at best. And I don't mind them if they gave it a 2/5 for a good reason. But they didn't.
#45 Posted: 22:29:02 22/03/2011
Haven't played that, but I want to...
---
#46 Posted: 19:00:34 23/03/2011
Reviewers just try forcing their opinions onto others, in a way saying; "I'm right, you're wrong"
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
#47 Posted: 21:38:14 23/03/2011
Quote: Malefor0001
Reviewers just try forcing their opinions onto others, in a way saying; "I'm right, you're wrong"

Sometimes reviewers get an inflated her and believe that they are right. In the end, it's an opinion. Just because you're a reviewer doesn't mean you're right. That's what I'm going to follow when I start doing reviews.
#48 Posted: 18:24:02 25/03/2011

Sometimes reviewers get an inflated her and believe that they are right. In the end, it's an opinion. Just because you're a reviewer doesn't mean you're right. That's what I'm going to follow when I start doing reviews.

I always try to end my review by saying that "This is just my Opinion, and you shouldn't follow this unti you see/play/read the book/game/film."
---
waytodawn96 Green Sparx Gems: 399
#49 Posted: 19:35:19 29/03/2011

reporters tend to do that, and 9 times out of 10, it frustrates and confuses the reader which is why i like to experience the games i want to play for myself.
---
Is it possable to go to bed dead and wake up alive???! smilie I'm Random and proud of it!
Summers94 Blue Sparx Gems: 585
#50 Posted: 20:14:13 29/03/2011
It was getting better, with the legend of spyro series. But removing sparx and hunter in the new game is a strange move, since every spyro fan loves them, and they have both been in the game since the first trilogy???

I really really hope the game is a sucess, but i can see Spyro getting ruined with the skylanders story :'(
---
Matt Summers
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me