Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Why do you think Spyro wasn't in The Chronicler's book?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Why do you think Spyro wasn't in The Chronicler's book? [CLOSED]
DeathStar Yellow Sparx Gems: 1539
#1 Posted: 16:08:19 09/03/2011 | Topic Creator
Why do you think Spyro (and Cynder) wasn't in The Chronicler's book?
---
"oh sweet sweet sounds of 80s synthesizers, alleviate me...."
Spyrogon Emerald Sparx Gems: 4280
#2 Posted: 16:17:13 09/03/2011
Because the Chronicler's book lists dead people, and Spyro wasn't dead.
---
I have such an uncreative username.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#3 Posted: 16:23:41 09/03/2011
Since Spyro isn't dead, he isn't listed in the Book of Death. I thought it was obvious...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#4 Posted: 16:24:50 09/03/2011
The reasons have been summed up in two posts.
Thats a record!
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#5 Posted: 16:27:29 09/03/2011
Kind of what those guys said, though I don't think Spyro is alive, either, and the Chronicler hints that he couldn't find Spyro in any of his books.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#6 Posted: 17:42:06 09/03/2011
3 years later... This topic...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:42:14 09/03/2011 by bionicle2809
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#7 Posted: 17:44:30 09/03/2011
Quote: bionicle2809
3 years later... This topic...

It doesn't help that there have been more of them!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#8 Posted: 22:39:24 09/03/2011
Quote: Aura24
Since Spyro isn't dead, he isn't listed in the Book of Death. I thought it was obvious...

^This
Lila-the-dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 762
#9 Posted: 02:54:00 10/03/2011
Actually...the Chronicler states that he can kinda see the future. Remember in TEN, he took out the book, and told spyro about Cynder and all that? I dunno if spyro's alive or not, you know that could just be what IGNITIS is thinking?
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#10 Posted: 02:59:16 10/03/2011
I don't think the ending was supposed to be something so complicated and confusing. They simply weren't in the book of death, so they lived.
Lila-the-dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 762
#11 Posted: 03:01:11 10/03/2011
Yeah xD But we all know some one is bound to go deeper into this, leading into a comic or story.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#12 Posted: 03:05:58 10/03/2011
Quote: Spyrogon
Because the Chronicler's book lists dead people, and Spyro wasn't dead.

^this

And Razz, maybe he wasn't alive. But he wasn't dead either, so he still isn't listed.
#13 Posted: 03:19:33 10/03/2011
I know. That's pretty much exactly what I said (and have said no less than three times in the past month on this site). smilie
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#14 Posted: 13:48:15 10/03/2011
The only thing I've never understood is why he didn't just check Spyro's book in the first place...
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
riverhippo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1049
#15 Posted: 14:45:09 10/03/2011
Quote: DeathStar

I did not read this question so obviously like everyone else did.

Instead I read it as, "What do you think was the reason that the writers of the story left Spyro and Cynder out of the Chronicler's book?"

Now that's a question. It could be they left it open for expansion. Maybe they wanted to mess with us. The popular (and lame) suggestion is that the writers messed up and didn't know what the heck they were doing. But I think they did. It's very possible future LoS were thought of, and anyone who barks, "But it was a trilogy...!" is ignorant. Terminator, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Die Hard--all examples of movie sagas that weren't limited to a trilogy basis. I believe that if DotD had been more successful than it was, a game to continue the Spyro-Cynder story would have continued. There are several people that are curious to how that would have gone. I know I am.
#16 Posted: 14:54:24 10/03/2011
Quote: riverhippo

Instead I read it as, "What do you think was the reason that the writers of the story left Spyro and Cynder out of the Chronicler's book?"

Now that's a question. It could be they left it open for expansion. Maybe they wanted to mess with us. The popular (and lame) suggestion is that the writers messed up and didn't know what the heck they were doing. But I think they did. It's very possible future LoS were thought of, and anyone who barks, "But it was a trilogy...!" is ignorant. Terminator, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Die Hard--all examples of movie sagas that weren't limited to a trilogy basis. I believe that if DotD had been more successful than it was, a game to continue the Spyro-Cynder story would have continued. There are several people that are curious to how that would have gone. I know I am.

Thank you!
The trilogy excuse is irrelevant, really. Just look at the Classic Spyro games.
---
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#17 Posted: 14:55:28 10/03/2011

I'm curious too. One big question I want answered is if Spyro heard Cynder say "I love you" before the Earth exploded.
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4271
#18 Posted: 16:36:06 10/03/2011
Quote: spyrocynderfan7

I'm curious too. One big question I want answered is if Spyro heard Cynder say "I love you" before the Earth exploded.

He heard it because in the last scene they're playing togheter...
#19 Posted: 16:44:01 10/03/2011
That doesn't necessarily mean he did, but I presume he did.
---
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#20 Posted: 17:10:06 10/03/2011
...Aren't we going into this too deeply?
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#21 Posted: 17:14:42 10/03/2011
BUT IT'S FAUN!!
---
#22 Posted: 17:24:07 10/03/2011
I don't think he heard her. Honestly, I think she said it out of on-going confusion (he's her first friend in her entire life and the games make it clear that she really doesn't understand the way the side of good works and it confuses her; what else might she think in this situation but that she might love him, even if she doesn't). Most likely he didn't hear her, she's not going to bring it up again because she's had some time to think, and they're playing together because they're friends.

In reality, she said it for pure fanservice. The producer-writers knew it was a popular fan pairing and, as with almost everything else in the game, they put that in for the fans.

As for the ending itself, it's very obvious they put that in as a loop hole on the off chance they would make more games in the LoS setting. Everything does that these days.
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#23 Posted: 17:30:03 10/03/2011
I think he heard her, but we'll never know. I think that's supposed to be left to the fans, and each person can think what they will. So I don't think there's a right or wrong answer there
#24 Posted: 17:31:29 10/03/2011
Agreed! There's a lot of stuff in LoS that was like that. Some of it really is just lazy/poor writing but Chris Wilson and Mike Graham (the producer-writers) mentioned back in the day that they left a few things up in the air specifically for the fans.
#25 Posted: 17:36:13 10/03/2011
That's cool of them then. I love storys like that, even if other people hate them. It's kinda why I love FFXIII's story.
---
#26 Posted: 17:53:26 10/03/2011
That's why I still have some fondness for LoS, ultimately. The first two games actually did have a lot of potential story merit (and I used those holes like crazy back in the day). Heck, I think I even had fun filling in the holes from DotD at one point, before the wave of obnoxious fans destroyed my ability to like anything about it. Alas, now I can't handle watching any of the LoS cutscenes; turns out Elijah Wood's Spyro annoys me almost as much as Christina Ricci's Cynder. smilie
#27 Posted: 17:57:08 10/03/2011
Quote: Razz
Agreed! There's a lot of stuff in LoS that was like that. Some of it really is just lazy/poor writing but Chris Wilson and Mike Graham (the producer-writers) mentioned back in the day that they left a few things up in the air specifically for the fans.

I see what they were trying, but that wasn't really a smart move, because then we get topics like this and we all wonder which ending is canon.

And let's not forget what the fantards can do. smilie

That's why I still have some fondness for LoS, ultimately. The first two games actually did have a lot of potential story merit (and I used those holes like crazy back in the day). Heck, I think I even had fun filling in the holes from DotD at one point, before the wave of obnoxious fans destroyed my ability to like anything about it. Alas, now I can't handle watching any of the LoS cutscenes; turns out Elijah Wood's Spyro annoys me almost as much as Christina Ricci's Cynder. smilie

I didn't bother to fill the plotholes of DotD. To me, they simply murdered the story, and I left it at that.

I'll honestly say that Elijah Wood is one of my favorite VAs. But the lines he would get are so damn corny, and it didn't help that he didn't put much emotion.
#28 Posted: 18:44:00 10/03/2011
Like I said, some of the "open ended" stuff in LoS is really the result of poor writing. The unfortunate thing is, no one knows what was bad writing and what was left open on purpose because the writing is so bad.

It didn't take me long to reach the same conclusion as you did in terms of plot holes in DotD, CAV. The fun I had with filling in gaps from ANB/TEN went away shortly after DotD (though it was fun writing that Ignitus/Elora fic idea with a friend while it lasted).

As a voice actor nerd, I loath celebrities being cast as VAs. I didn't mind Wood in "9" (he actually had a director for that one who made him do more work and I have no doubt that they hired someone to do some ADR to fix his mistakes, because every time a celebrity is used in voice work they do have to hire a pro VA to fix it). But in LoS...eugh. Granted, I hate Spyro's personality in that series as a general rule. Elijah Wood is good at playing the "kicked puppy" kind of hero, which is fine in it's place (it works great for Frodo Baggins), but Spyro was supposed to be made of stronger stuff and he's such a wuss in LoS. It drives me crazy and I want to punch him in the mouth every time he talks.
#29 Posted: 19:00:48 10/03/2011
I know that. But the pieces they did leave open on purpose ends up confusing others and makes the entire fanbase rage.

I didn't bother to tie together LoS with Classic. It was a reboot, and I left it at that.

I don't mind celebrities being VAs, provided they actually know what their doing, and that they try. Most don't bother, but at the same time I felt as though Wood was doing what he does best: play the underdog hero that knows nothing about what's going on, but still tries to make a difference and get others to fight along with him (9, LoS, and Happy Feet ring a bell?).

But I do agree that Wood didn't have the emotion to drive the Spyro character. He didn't do very well. Then again, neither did Tom Kenny (Kenny's VA for Spyro didn't cut it for me). What I find funny is that LoS is where I first found Wood, and from there I learned all of the other roles, and he fit in better with those.

I'm going off in a tangent aren't I?
#30 Posted: 19:11:38 10/03/2011
Whoa, whoa! Who said I was tying it together with the originals? Heck no! Not even when I liked LoS. I was just trying to make the LoS universe itself make sense (and Elora was the LoS version of herself; she was the amazonian queen of a tribe of warrior fauns smilie).

To be fair, Wood was playing a role he's good with (I think the poor guy's been type cast at this point) and he did well enough for an actor. He needs a lot of improvement, but he's not the worst I've heard (even within LoS *cough*Christina Ricci*cough hack*Wayne Brady*wheeze*). When it comes down to it, LoS has a lot of mistakes, and while Wood isn't the worst thing in it it's very clear they cast him in the role for his name and type casting alone and nothing else. He does much better in other performances (like I said, I enjoyed him in "9" and I happen to rather like the Lord of the Rings films in part because of him).

I always rather liked Tom Kenny's Spyro. He made him a friendly punk. Granted, I like Tom Kenny in general and it amuses me to no end that he was the voice of almost every incidental character in RR. smilie

Haha, no worse than I am. smilie
#31 Posted: 19:20:41 10/03/2011
Oh. I must've misread that. My mistake. When you meantioned Elora/Iggy it looked like you were trying to put the incarnations together.

Wayne Brady as Sparx was a huge mistake. Sparx sounded like he was dying of throat cancer. And I still don't find much wrong with Ricci. She just seems run-of-the-mill, and was very forgettable.

That's true. It felt like he was just tossed in there. They wanted big names so people can look at the game. Skylanders is doing the same in terms of writers and Hans (freakin) Zimmer.

I never cared for Lord of the Rings, so I don't know what he did there. But I liked him in 9, and he was decent in Happy Feet and Deep Impact.

To me Tom Kenny didn't work as Spyro. It just never hit it off for me. Otherwise from that role though, Tom Kenny is legendary.

Nah. I think I'm worse.
#32 Posted: 19:21:03 10/03/2011
The movie I believe Elijah done best in was Green Street. He was brilliant in that.

I don't think he put his all into his Spyro role, but I still think he did well.
---
#33 Posted: 19:36:13 10/03/2011
I was bothered hugely by the constant changes in the voices for two of the major characters in the series. Seriously, there was no call for that to have happened. I can understand not being able to get David Spade back for Sparx, but Billy West, Cree Summer, and Mae Whitman are all professional VAs who need the work just as much as anyone else and who can act circles around the rest of the cast (I'm a huge Cree Summer fan and I was rather cheesed off when they didn't get her back for Cynder).

As for Ricci as Cynder, if you're one of the folks who put a lot of stock into voice work like I am, you'd hate her performance, too. Her dead pan performance actually ruined what was supposed to be the most emotional scene in the game for a lot of players.

The difference between the big names in LoS and the big names in Skylanders is that the SKL big names are big for the exact things they've been hired to do (write and make music). That's a good thing. In LoS, however, the big names are big for completely different reasons (these are movie actors who, when it comes right down to it, don't really need to be in the games because the kids playing don't know who they are and the kids' parents who do don't care).

He played the main character of Frodo Baggins, which, alas, is how he got typecast as LoS Spyro. Spyro is supposed to be a Frodo-esque epic hero, but because of the poor writing he just comes off as being a wimp (especially since one of the major character traits of Frodo is that he is pretty weak and is relying almost entirely on his friends and allies to see him through his horrible quest; when push comes to shove, Frodo actually gives in to the darkness and is saved only by his friends).

Wood did well with what he had in LoS (no direction, little prior voice work experience, and a bad script), but that still doesn't really make the performance good. I may as well say that I never played LoS for Spyro; I was in it for Cynder and her alone and didn't consider the series to have anything to do with the Spyro franchise outside of sharing the title character's name and LoS Spyro also being purple.
#34 Posted: 19:47:31 10/03/2011
Yeah that wasn't needed. It seems as though Oldman and Wood are the only ones to keep their roles.

I still think Spade is the best Sparx out of all 3 of them. As for Cynder, I dunno. I guess I'd say Whitman since Summer sounded like she was overacting at times, and Ricci was forgettable. And I understand why they didn't get Summer back. Maybe it's because her voice is too deep to play a child Cynder. Then again, that really shouldn't have stopped them from getting her to do DotD Cynder....

I try to put work into VA and I try to pay attention. Like I said, I just found it very forgettable, which basically is a way of saying "I don't care that she was the VA". It did ruin a good amount of scenes, but otherwise she didn't leave any sort of mark. To me it's like "she's there". That's it. She's just......there.

I didn't try to compare Skylanders and LoS in terms of big names. Besides, I'd always perfer Hans (freakin) Zimmer over anyone that was part of LoS, VA or not.

I know that, but I never watched the films so I don't know if he did well or not. And I plan to watch them soon so don't spoil it. =P

I agree with you there. I don't want to sound corny with the whole "he gets an A for effort", but with the little direction he was given, I have to do so. But you think that by DotD he would've nailed the role. But he didn't.

I played LoS simply because I was a kid and I was glad to see one of my childhood heroes in another game. To me, Cynder was a bonus, because I knew nothing about her until I started playing the game. I was a kid. I didn't follow gaming news. *shrug*

Well what do you expect from a reboot? Of course the personality and character itself will be different. Same with Skylanders. Then again, he doesn't talk.

Speaking of which, am I the only one that thinks of the anger piece of GLaDOS (the red orb) from Portal when I hear Skylander Spyro's snarks and growls?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:48:37 10/03/2011 by CAV
#35 Posted: 19:50:34 10/03/2011
I'm quite critical of voice acting, including my own, but I still think Ricci done quite a good job. The way she did the Ignitus scene actually enhanced it for me. I think I know what most people wanted her to do, and I'm glad she didn't. smilie

I liked all the Sparx VAs equally. *puts up flame sheild*

Meh, I guess I just liked it all in general.
---
#36 Posted: 19:57:04 10/03/2011
What really kills me is that he's actually worse in DotD, after a few years of experience, than he was in ANB, when he was pretty new to the whole thing. Alas, DotD was a botched job from the start.

When I picked up LoS I didn't know what it was. I was completely uninterested but Cynder's dark form design was neat and when I heard Cree Summer speaking for her it got my interest. I believe my initial reaction upon starting the game the first time was to laugh so hard I hurt myself. smilie

We don't know that Skylanders Spyro doesn't speak. It's likely he does and we just haven't seen any in-game cutscenes.

It might just be you, CAV. smilie I've picked apart GLaDOS' angry core (literally) and all I think of when I hear it is that programmer having more fun than should be legal making those terrible noises. smilie

You're allowed, SB. smilie Not everyone wants to puncture their ear drums with a Q-tip when they hear Ricci's Cynder. smilie
#37 Posted: 20:09:02 10/03/2011
I noticed that now too. I don't think DotD was botched. I was like every other little kid. I was excited and I wanted it since it came out 2 weeks after my birthday so I can get a late birthday present.

I saw the commercial and I wanted it for Christmas. It was first on my Christmas list and I got it. I was happy and I played it after playing all of the other stuff I got. I'll let you know about one thing: Bionicle Heroes is a crap game. Don't try it.

I doubt he does.

I don't know. I've had Portal (Still Alive for the 360) for about a week now and I'm addicted. I played through it 4 times and now when I pick up the anger core and it starts growling, it reminds me of Skylanders Spyro, only with a deeper tone. Ah Portal, thank you for making life better.

"Maybe you should marry that thing since you love it so much. Do you want to marry it? WELL I WON'T LET YOU! How does that feel?"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:09:50 10/03/2011 by CAV
#38 Posted: 20:09:19 10/03/2011
I actually thought he was not as good in DotD, but still acceptable for me.

I got back into Spyro less than a year ago and found out LoS was a reboot, partly because I accidently found one of Razz's dirty SpyroxCynder pics, and it raised a lot of questions for me(and I had searched "funny spyro pics" on Google Images when I found it, m'kay). I had seen two positive reviews for DotD in magazines I regularly read, so that got me interested. Then I bought the games.

Spyro's growls make me think of a higher-pitched Sonic the Werehog! smilie

I was referring to me liking Wayne Brady's Sparx, as EVERYONE but me seems to hate him!smilie
---
#39 Posted: 20:36:15 10/03/2011
CAV: Come to my Portal 2 thread and join the fanning! I loooove Portal and I am so excited for the upcoming game (which is actually being released either the day before or on my birthday)!

SB: Oh lawd, I'm sorry! smilie Looking back on all that stuff, I really don't know what I was thinking. D: Fandom makes us do stupid things. Ah well. I've moved on (now if only some of the people who find my gallery would do the same smilie).

Your allowed to like Wayne Brady's Sparx. smilie I rather like Wayne Brady as a comedian and I didn't really pay attention to him as Sparx (since I really don't like LoS Sparx outside of a few lines in TEN and a couple in ANB that make me laugh).
#40 Posted: 20:45:44 10/03/2011
Me loves Portal too. Definitely getting the sequel. Gamer Tag and PSN is in the sig, if you want someone to play co-op with. smilie

I was skeptical at the start of TEN and DotD, bit a got to like them, and now I love them. Over 100 hours logged into DotD... :^|3

@Razz: Don't worry about it!smilie
I don't get offended by that kind of art. And the questions going through my head were not about what was going on, but rather:

"Why does Spyro look different?
Why is he not doing Elora or Ember?
And WHO THE HELL IS THAT GUY ON TOP OF HIM!?.....wait...Cynder's a chick?"

Lawlz!smilie
---
#41 Posted: 20:53:56 10/03/2011
CAV: Come to my Portal 2 thread and join the fanning! I loooove Portal and I am so excited for the upcoming game (which is actually being released either the day before or on my birthday)!

Portal thread? WHERE!?

And it comes out a day prior to your birthday.

Can't wait for Portal 2. Getting it on the release day, no exceptions. And that means the game is very important since the only other game I ever got on release day was Brawl.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:02:19 10/03/2011 by CAV
#42 Posted: 20:59:07 10/03/2011
When's it out again?smilie
---
#43 Posted: 21:02:05 10/03/2011
April 18th in the US......well then I guess I made a mistake. I thought it was coming out on the 16th. smilie
#44 Posted: 21:05:45 10/03/2011
That's 10 days after my birthday.
But I was thinking on getting a 3DS, as there is a special offer goin'....
---
#45 Posted: 21:10:47 10/03/2011
That's a little less than 6 months before mine. smilie

What's the offer for you?
#46 Posted: 21:12:40 10/03/2011
If I trade in my DSi and two select DS games, I can get the 3DS for 139.99 euros.
---
#47 Posted: 21:49:45 10/03/2011
For me, if I trade in the DSi, I get 70 USD back. And if I sell the DSi XL, I get 100 USD.
#48 Posted: 22:03:01 10/03/2011
I'm not trading my DSi XL and I'm still miffed at the 3DS. They finally make a handheld I can play just in time to release a new version that I can't play! *shakes fist*
#49 Posted: 22:05:41 10/03/2011
I'm trading it in because the 3DS has all the features the DSi has, plus more. And I because I want whatever Sonic game comes out on it.... smilie
---
#50 Posted: 22:28:13 10/03/2011
That's why a lot of people are doing it, which makes sense. Alas, I do not have that option (can't see a normal DS screen, so DS XL is my only option).

Also, here is the Portal thread. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:31:09 10/03/2011 by Razz
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me