Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Your Most Overrated/Underrated Spyro games
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Your Most Overrated/Underrated Spyro games [CLOSED]
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#51 Posted: 00:04:35 22/01/2011
SL is underrated. It was a nice change. If only they had put time in to fix the bugs and give it more polish and replay vale. Im still pretty happy with what it was, though.
ANB on DS is underrated. The game was a good challenge, since it had over 50 puzzles in it(Nothing compared to Layton games with over 400 estimated for the next installment though), and the boss battles on it were simply awesome.
SoF was underrated. It's like a portable version of the first three. 'Nuff said.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:08:20 22/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#52 Posted: 00:07:44 22/01/2011
Quote: Dragons4ever45
Honestly, I feel like the Legend of Spyro series is overrated

Some people think they're the best three spyro games ever, and some don't. I think there are some parts that could have been better, but these games were a decent change from the original series. They have a decent story, Graphics are good, Though the flying controls aren't the best, DoTD, Romance is a very........different thing to recreate in games and I believe the whole "I love you." thing between Spyro and Cynder was not as good as it could have been. The coolest thing about Malefor was the cutscene right before the battle. ANB needed much more storyline to it and TEN I have not played but I watched the final boss battle against Gaul and that.....hmmmmmm......Was ok, could have been better could have been worse. Also Sparx in this seires is a smart mouth little punk and I'm surprised he didn't get torched by the end of ANB, he's funny I'll give him that but he really needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut. Overall They are good enough to buy but not the best out there

I agree with half of this. Mainly about TLOS being overrated.

The originals may seem to be the ones that are overrated, but their not. Just look at the polls. DOTD wins by a long shot every time. And TLOS also wins by a long shot every time. It has thousands of young fans who thinks they're the best games ever.... I just want to slap them all across the face.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#53 Posted: 00:11:06 22/01/2011
^ This. It may seem like it gets a lot of hate, but that's nothing compared to how many kiddies think they're the best games evar.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#54 Posted: 00:11:40 22/01/2011
What really ruined the trilogy for me was DoTD. Krome would probably still be in development and have made a better game of it if EL wasn't hired.

The other two I'm fine with, loved both. ;3
ANB is probably my tied favorite with its sequel, just because it had the most variety of the 3, the awesomest feel, my favorite characters and a great DS version.
But TEN comes with the coolest storyline and the best jokes(I think you want me to repair a pie!) as well as two of the best handheld titles and a decently good mobile version. It also had some of the best level designs, and the most challenge.

DoTD is far behind because of the bad storyline, poor execution and overrated mechanics.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:39:40 23/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#55 Posted: 01:50:37 22/01/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182

I see a lot more hate for LoS than love for it, so I don't see how it's overrated...

Like I said, it's overrated by its fans, who act like it's the best game ever when it's really not that special and got mostly bad reviews.
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#56 Posted: 03:09:29 22/01/2011
If you really love a game that much, it's not overrated to that person, however, it is to the others who dislike it. Same thing goes for people who think a game's underrated.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#57 Posted: 03:37:27 22/01/2011
LoS is definately overrated by the little kids that never played the original games and won't accept another opinion. But there are also the people that want to destroy the games with fireworks, and it almost balances everything out. That's why I say DotD is in the middle. There's two sides.

Although I do agree that I see more fanbrats than haters.
#58 Posted: 08:16:07 22/01/2011
Quote: Darby
If you really love a game that much, it's not overrated to that person, however, it is to the others who dislike it. Same thing goes for people who think a game's underrated.

Possibly. I love KH to bits, but I can still see that it gets overrated often.

Same with underrated - To me, a game that is underrated doesn't get much attention compared to others. A real example of underrated would be Fur Fighters.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#59 Posted: 12:15:19 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote:
Same with underrated - To me, a game that is underrated doesn't get much attention compared to others. A real example of underrated would be Fur Fighters.

If that's the case, then LoS is definitely underrated. I read that Spyro is now considered a "cult" gaming series, especially the LoS games.
The Classics were AAA listers, while I consider the LoS games B or A listers....

When it comes to the Classics, I see more fanbrats than haters. When it comes to LoS, I see more haters(at least on here), however, I expected this, as I have this "theory" when it comes to certain game franchises.

I haven't met any little kids who overrate LoS....yet.

And SL is underrated, but only slightly. It's a fun enough game, but it didn't feel like an actual RPG to me.
ANB on DS is definitly underrated. The unlockables were awesome!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#60 Posted: 12:58:47 22/01/2011
Overrated: The Eternal Night
Underrated: A Hero's Tail
#61 Posted: 13:22:50 22/01/2011
Quote:

If that's the case, then LoS is definitely underrated. I read that Spyro is now considered a "cult" gaming series, especially the LoS games.
The Classics were AAA listers, while I consider the LoS games B or A listers....

When it comes to the Classics, I see more fanbrats than haters. When it comes to LoS, I see more haters(at least on here), however, I expected this, as I have this "theory" when it comes to certain game franchises.

And SL is underrated, but only slightly. It's a fun enough game, but it didn't feel like an actual RPG to me.
ANB on DS is definitly underrated. The unlockables were awesome!smilie

I wouldn't say that at all.... Just take a look at most topics here - They're TLOS everywhere.

By attention, I don't just mean on here - I mean all around the net. Look at Youtube - Search for a Spyro music video and all you find are LoS ones with a few classic mixed in. Search DeviantArt - Most of the pics are Legend.

LoS gets a lot of attention from fans, perhaps only TEN being the odd one out.
---
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#62 Posted: 14:45:10 22/01/2011
Ah, but LoS is what we have now, what's continuing; essentially, there's nothing more to say about the classics. It's done and dusted, sadly. LoS is the future of the Spyro franchise: it was made to create a new world for Spyro, therefore the next games will be set in that world, too. You don't see fan-comics about the classics because there aren't anymore stories left to tell, whilst there's so many loose ends left by DotD that fans want tie-up. ShaloneSK's comics, for example, are set after the events of DotD.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#63 Posted: 15:27:55 22/01/2011
Hm.

The Lion King is old and finished, but you still see fans re-creating stories. Not all of them are set after Simba's Pride either - Many are set during the events before.

And seeing as SL was left on a cliffhanger..... smilie
---
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#64 Posted: 15:59:40 22/01/2011
Imo there alot of stuff you could do with classic Spyro =/
Storywise and gameplay (I 've got alot of ideas smilie)
TLoS just seems sorta finished to me =/
I really can't see what could you do next in TLoS,that isn't ''fanficy'' If you get me.
Malefor was the ultimate evil trying to blow up the planet and all =/
They powned him,restored the planet and everybodys happy...It's a decent ending to a trilogy...
#65 Posted: 16:10:17 22/01/2011
Quote: Spyroo
Hm.

The Lion King is old and finished, but you still see fans re-creating stories. Not all of them are set after Simba's Pride either - Many are set during the events before.

And seeing as SL was left on a cliffhanger..... smilie

smilie Hehe, when I was about 9 I wrote a story about Mufasa and Scar as cubs... It wasn't very good, but I was obsessed!

And am I the only person who doesn't think that it was left at a cliffhanger? The ultimate darkness is gone, evil has turned to good (Red at peace with the dragons) and the Realms are peaceful, now. The very last line is that the dragons are ready and waiting; to me it sounds like they don't need protection anymore, since they're prepared for whatever might come in their way, unlike in the previous games where they weren't. I think it was an appropriate ending for the original series, since it tied up all the loose ends and gave Spyro's darkest challenge.
---
#66 Posted: 16:13:43 22/01/2011
Nah, to me, it just said 'He'll be back, and we'll be waiting to beat him again'. I don't believe the Sorcerer was the most powerful enemy Spyro faced either (I feel as though the Sorceress was).

Otherwise, it could be argued that DotD wasn't left at a cliffhanger - They defeated the ultimate evil, that's the end of the series - Kinda like what Kimbia said.
---
#67 Posted: 16:22:12 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
DotD's ending is like the ending to DragonBall GT(think that's the name...DragonBall fans, correct me if I'm wrong!smilie). It COULD be left as is, but it also has more than enough potential to continue.
---
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#68 Posted: 16:23:03 22/01/2011
Overrated: DoTD/TeN
Underrated: EtD
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:56:39 22/01/2011 by Blackholes_Wolf
#69 Posted: 16:23:45 22/01/2011
DotD's ending is like the ending to DragonBall GT(think that's the name...DragonBall fans, correct me if I'm wrong!smilie). It COULD be left as is, but it also has more than enough potential to continue.

But then..... That's the exact same ending SL had smilie;
---
#70 Posted: 16:25:42 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
I know....and?(I never mentioned SL's story, just was talkin' bout DotD's ending)smilie
---
#71 Posted: 16:29:54 22/01/2011
I know....and?(I never mentioned SL's story, just was talkin' bout DotD's ending)smilie

Pfft, my bad smilie
---
#72 Posted: 16:36:29 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
To me, SL's ending was outright cliffhanger. It was left at that, but it shouldn't of been. They should of made a sequel before starting LoS, or made the ending actually completely end the story.

DotD could be left as is, but there is so much amazing potential to keep it going. Storywise, LoS definitly has much more potential than the Classics. I also think it does gameplay-wise, but that's a personal thing, and I don't want to have to answer to everybody about that.
---
#73 Posted: 16:49:56 22/01/2011
It would seem odd to not continue DotD, since the whole point of tLoS was to introduce a new universe in which to create the new games in smilie It would be ironic if they discontinued it.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx [online] Gems: 9329
#74 Posted: 16:50:55 22/01/2011
To me, SL's ending was outright cliffhanger. It was left at that, but it shouldn't of been. They should of made a sequel before starting LoS, or made the ending actually completely end the story.

DotD could be left as is, but there is so much amazing potential to keep it going. Storywise, LoS definitly has much more potential than the Classics. I also think it does gameplay-wise, but that's a personal thing, and I don't want to have to answer to everybody about that.

I think that anything could have potential, lol.
#75 Posted: 16:59:34 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
I'm not saying the Classics have no potential left....they've got quite a bit actually. I just think LoS has much more potential, as you can do most of the stuff from the Classics in LoS.
---
#76 Posted: 17:23:49 22/01/2011
I'm not saying the Classics have no potential left....they've got quite a bit actually. I just think LoS has much more potential, as you can do most of the stuff from the Classics in LoS.

I agree- things change more in the LoS world then the classic world because of the more developed storyline. If you bought a classic, you knew there would be sheep, gems followed by an evil boss. You can't change that formula in a classic Spyro game, yet it seems a little unimaginative to follow that same route, if you know what I mean?
---
#77 Posted: 17:29:03 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
And, as I said, you can do most moves from Classic Spyro in TLoS, plus combat, and flying in DotD. You could actually recreate the Classic formula in the Merkury engine, and whatever engine DotD uses. TEN on DS is actually kind of like the Classics, in a way.
---
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#78 Posted: 17:46:20 22/01/2011
Quote: TheWereCat

I agree- things change more in the LoS world then the classic world because of the more developed storyline. If you bought a classic, you knew there would be sheep, gems followed by an evil boss. You can't change that formula in a classic Spyro game, yet it seems a little unimaginative to follow that same route, if you know what I mean?

Kinda like Sonic,Mario and some other dontcha think?
You know there would be rings ,often robots and an evil boss in a Sonic game...And that Mario would use pretty much a same story every time.
and they are doing well ...(well Mario better than Sonic but he's starting to improve)
it's the gameplay and the stuff they do with it that makes the games a fun adventure.
You could follow a same formula but always add something to spice it up(the level variety,chars, various mini games,collectables etc)
The thing is with LoS that it felt pretty much like a movie....and the gameplay is what you do between the cutscenes,which is often fighting rows of enemies with button mashing(yes you can find different ways to beat something,but if you can beat it just by random button mashing,why complicate it for yourself?especially in DoTD) yes there are a few platforming sections but it's still overshadowed by the combat...

I think its actually quite opposite...
You cannot do alot of stuff from the classics in TloS.
It's limited when it comes to that.
You couldn't have all those crazy levels with robots,hi-tech stuff,portals and alot of other cus It just wouldn't fit with the overall mood and setting of LoS.It would be out of place ...
However you could make Classic Spyro have a bit more darker story,creepier levels and stuff but still have it whimsical and fun.
Tho that's just my opinion =/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:30 22/01/2011 by Kimbia28
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#79 Posted: 17:48:27 22/01/2011
I never thought of the Original Games like Mario and Sonic, and to be honest, I like that Spyro's different. It's a change from those type of games.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:43 22/01/2011 by Darby
#80 Posted: 17:52:03 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
In ANB, there was too much combat. I felt TEN and DotD had an equal balance though.

And the thing with Mario and Sonic is that they are easier to develop for(well...Mario is anyway). And, as I said, most of the moves from Classic Spyro are in TLoS anyway, so there is no need to strip away the combat, as that's called "downgrading".

And there is no such thing as a button mashing game, just button mashing players.
---
#81 Posted: 17:52:54 22/01/2011
Quote: Kimbia28
Quote: TheWereCat

Kinda like Sonic,Mario and some other dontcha think?
You know there would be rings ,often robots and an evil boss in a Sonic game...And that Mario would use pretty much a same story every time.
and they are doing well ...(well Mario better than Sonic but he's starting to improve)
it's the gameplay and the stuff they do with it that makes the games a fun adventure.
You could follow a same formula but always add something to spice it up(the level variety,chars, various mini games,collectables etc)
The thing is with LoS that it felt pretty much like a movie....and the gameplay is what you do between the cutscenes,which is often fighting rows of enemies with button mashing(yes you can find different ways to beat something,but if you can beat it just by random button mashing,why complicate it for yourself?especially in DoTD) yes there are a few platforming sections but it's still overshadowed by the combat...

I think its actually quite opposite...
You cannot do alot of stuff from the classics in TloS.
It's limited when it comes to that.
You couldn't have all those crazy levels with robots,hi-tech stuff,portals and alot of other cus It just wouldn't fit with the overall mood and setting of LoS.It would be out of place ...
However you could make Classic Spyro have a bit more darker story,creepier levels and stuff but still have it whimsical and fun.
Tho that's just my opinion =/

But in ETD and AHT they weren't really making enough changes to that formula; in Sonic, we had a nice 3D enviroment instead of a 2D one and Mario... Well, compare SMB to SM64 or Galaxy- it always comes up with something new and exciting! Spyro was staying the same but with better graphics. The only classic-style games I can think of that took a different route was Fusion (dude, it sounds better) and Shadow Legacy, but neither got very good reviews.
---
#82 Posted: 17:57:58 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
AHT was going in the right direction, IMO.

I think my ideal Spyro game right now would be:
1) A TLoS RPG
2) A game that mixes the formulas of DotD and AHT, with new things as well. Preferably in an LoS setting, but Classic setting would be fine.

And you CAN put crazy environments in LoS...remember the dreams in TEN?
---
#83 Posted: 18:00:15 22/01/2011

I don't agree with you, they both have enough potential, and you can change things to keep it like the classics, example, AHT.
#84 Posted: 18:06:36 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
I think LoS has more potential because:

1) More interesting characters(Classic Spyro characters remind me of Sonic characters too much).
2) TLoS can do humour well, but Classics can't do dark very well(as shown in SL).
3) TLoS has combat and can do whatever the Classics can, but Classic Spyro shouldn't have a heavy emphasis on combat(again, as shown in SL). If you put combat in the Classics, you may as well be playing a TLoS game.
---
#85 Posted: 18:08:33 22/01/2011

1) More interesting characters(Classic Spyro characters remind me of Sonic characters too much).
2) TLoS can do humour well, but Classics can't do dark very well(as shown in SL).
3) TLoS has combat and can do whatever the Classics can, but Classic Spyro shouldn't have a heavy emphasis on combat(again, as shown in SL). If you put combat in the Classics, you may as well be playing a TLoS game.

I still think they both share the same amount of potential.
#86 Posted: 18:13:52 22/01/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Yeah, same here. Classic was never really given a chance to do dark anyway.
---
#87 Posted: 18:14:53 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
SL was it's chance, and it failed.
---
#88 Posted: 18:15:17 22/01/2011
Quote: Spyroo
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Yeah, same here. Classic was never really given a chance to do dark anyway.

I think of the Classic Spyro games did have darkness to it, I think it would be cool. I've always thought that Gnasty's World and his levels brought a bit of darkness to StD.
#89 Posted: 18:17:02 22/01/2011

But like you said, it's like a RPG, completely different from platforming, could that be one of the reasons why it failed? And I don't really care for much for handheld games.
#90 Posted: 18:19:33 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
It was SUPPOSED to be an RPG, but it hardly felt like one(and I'm not saying that because it's real time. I love real time RPGs, but SL was only "alright").
---
#91 Posted: 18:20:36 22/01/2011
It was SUPPOSED to be an RPG, but it hardly felt like one(and I'm not saying that because it's real time. I love real time RPGs, but SL was only "alright").

Whatever then.
#92 Posted: 18:23:04 22/01/2011

I meant at an actual console, not handheld.
---
#93 Posted: 18:27:13 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
The gameplay wasn't the only reason I thought it "failed at being dark".

The dialog was very basic, almost babyish, and the characters just didn't fit. They would have to drastically change the characters to make them fit, but people won't like that. Thus, LoS is made, ditching all but 3 characters, and starting a new timeline.

I think SL is a good game, but I don't see it as dark at all, other than the music.
---
#94 Posted: 18:31:11 22/01/2011
That, if anything, was more Sierra's fault. I don't consider it dark really, but to be honest, it had potential. It was clearly Sierra's 'test' to see what they needed to improve on to then transform it into TLoS.

I would only consider it classic's chance at being dark if it was on a major console.
---
#95 Posted: 18:33:32 22/01/2011
I'm not sure anymore, but a bit more darkness in the Classics probably would have been fine.
#96 Posted: 18:33:48 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Still....I don't see a point in making the Classics dark if we already have TLoS...
---
#97 Posted: 18:37:30 22/01/2011
Still....I don't see a point in making the Classics dark if we already have TLoS...

I don't really like the gameplay in TLoS, and they changed the designs and personalities, and it doesn't have enough light-heartedness for me, and I find it very boring too.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:37:47 22/01/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
#98 Posted: 18:47:16 22/01/2011
Quote: Darby

Not sure if you were disagreeing with me or not, but yes, I understand that. You're basically saying overrated or underrated is based on personal opinion, which is the whole point of this thread in the first place and is exactly what I gave in my post.

Quote:

ANB on DS is definitly underrated. The unlockables were awesome!:D

What do you mean by "AAA listeners"? I've never heard that term before.

And I have seen tons of young LoS fanbrats, but not as many (maybe only one or two) young original fanbrats. This was mainly around the time when DotD was still pretty new, though, so that might explain it. I don't see them nearly as often now.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:48:00 22/01/2011 by Stormy
#99 Posted: 19:10:26 22/01/2011 | Topic Creator
AAA listers are games that have huge advertising campaigns, promotions, merchandise and big budgets. Spyro's Kingdom is apparantly going to be AAA.

I only got back into Spyro in the Summer, so that would explain me not seeing many fanbrats. Although, I know people who are afraid to show that they like LoS, and usually don't speak in topics like this. But they are far from fanbrats.

I actually made this topic so people would state their overrated/underrated games not only on their personal opinion on a game, but also based on what seems to be the games general reception.

Example:

I think ANB is a solid, 7/10 game, which is on par with it's critical reception, but I called it overrated because the Classic fans and Krome fans made it sound like a masterpiece, and they also said it was Cynder' best showing(she's my favourite fictional character, so naturally, that interests me). It's great, but too repetitive, and storywise, IMO, it's the worst in the trilogy(it does have quite a good standalone story though). I also think it's the worst gameplay-wise(but again, still good alone). I was very disappointed by Cynder's appearence, as I thought she would of had a fair amount of screentime and dialogue, seeing as everyone said she was awesome in it.....but I HARDLY seen her! She was good, yes, but I was expecting a lot more.
---
#100 Posted: 19:46:56 22/01/2011
Yeah, now that the hype has died down, I guess not many people really overrate LoS anymore. It used to be that nearly everyone in every Spyro community I've been to would say that it's completely perfect, deny any flaws, and throw a fit about "haters" if someone pointed out something they didn't like (I've even seen people getting death threats for not liking it), but now that I think about it I haven't been seeing that lately. Although if I think it's crap and most people say it's at least OK, I'd still call it overrated. :P

It's kind of a demonstration of how sad this fandom can be if people are afraid to say they like a video game, though. Since when is Spyro such serious business that we have to judge people so harshly for not agreeing with them?
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me