Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Spyro and Legend of the Guardians
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4
Spyro and Legend of the Guardians [CLOSED]
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#101 Posted: 00:29:59 17/12/2010
Alright then. It's a done deal.
Wylrin Emerald Sparx Gems: 3784
#102 Posted: 01:31:11 17/12/2010
To give everyone an idea of what the Legend of the Guardians game is like:

Legend of the Guardians is somewhat like a world war aircraft type game, only owls. You are always in flight in the game, and you can go pretty high up in altitude before the game yells at you to stop flying into the sun. smilie There are four different owls you can choose from to play as: a spotted owl (this owl is very fast but has low strength and average health), a barn owl (this owl has maximum health, average strength, and speed that isn't low but lower than its strength), a great horned owl (this owl has low health, a little bit better strength, and its speed is a bit greater than its strength, I do not recommend this owl, but that's just my opinion), and a great gray owl (this owl has good health, maximum strength, but is lacking in speed).

After choosing an owl to play as, you are taught the basic attack/defense/evasion/flight/etc. moves. There are a few moves that you emidiately start out with - a basic strike, barrel roll (evasion), counter attack, breath of qui (they don't call it that but it's the burst of speed you can get), order wingmen (the owls/eagles that accompany you on missions) to attack... and I think that is it. But as you defeat more enemies, more moves are unlocked, such as barge attack (a stronger attack), multi-strike corkscrew (that's the breath of qui; if you target an enemy while doing the breath of qui, you strike them, with this, you can strike multiple enemies), throw (you can throw enemies into rocks and cliffs, which really works well), and my favorite, fall from grace (in this special move, which is not always available, you grab an enemy, plunge to the ground, and at the last moment throw them to the ground and escape; this can defeat any enemy no matter how much health they have, unless they are wearing armour).

Speaking of armour, there are many battlesets in which you can purchase with 'shinies' to enhance your attack strength, health, speed, defense, and prowess (prowess is gained by diving, attacking enemies, and getting shinies, you can use prowess to use the breath of qui, or to order your wingmen). Also, there are many types of enemies (listed as they appear in the game): Crows, Bats, Bat Scouts, Pure Ones, Pure One Guards, Pure One Elite, Hagsfiends. The Pure Ones (all types) are capable of wearing armour. I'm not sure if it enhances them as your owl's armour does, but it does give them additional protection. In order to break an enemy's armour, you have to use the barge attack, throw them just right into a cliff/rock, or use the fall of grace. Any other attack will do no damage to them or their armour. Once all of their armour is broken, they are vulnerable to all attacks just like any other winged creature that hasn't any armour. Hagfiends are just plain nasty. They wear fleck helmets, which cannot be broken. So if you try to do a barge attack on them you will be thrown back by the force of the flecks they bear, being momentarily stunned and vulnerable to any enemy attacks. They will also throw fleck shards at you. If you get hit by them, it is similar to using a barge attack on them, you will be stunned, and be inflicted damage.

If there are any other questions about the gameplay or plot or whatever just ask.
---
"A real intelligence agent has no ego, no conscience, no remorse. Only a sense of professionalism."
- Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:29:43 17/12/2010 by Wylrin
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#103 Posted: 02:10:18 17/12/2010
Well, now I know what to rent.

Quote: Razz
It takes me too long to play games for renting to be feasible, alas.

Sorry it took me extremely long to reply to this.

But Gamefly has no late fees. The advertisements are correct, seeing how I've been a customer for over a year.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:10:57 17/12/2010 by CAV
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#104 Posted: 03:42:40 17/12/2010
Thanks, Wylrin. I'm totally gonna ask for this game for Christmas.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6147
#105 Posted: 08:30:18 17/12/2010
Yeah, this game sounds awesome. Though, I thought you would play as Sorren or his friends.

EDIT: I wouldn't be able to pick between the Spotted Owl or Barn Owl. smilie
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:27:15 17/12/2010 by Bolt
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#106 Posted: 21:01:16 17/12/2010
I heard that you could upgrade your owl as you gain experince in fights and name your own owl. Is that true?
I am a little dissapointed there isn't more owl types though....
#107 Posted: 21:06:53 17/12/2010
I think you should be able to upgrade the owl and name it. That would be cool.
It would be cute to be an Elf Owl.
---
I draw stuff.
#108 Posted: 21:37:17 17/12/2010
Quote: ignitusforever
I heard that you could upgrade your owl as you gain experince in fights and name your own owl. Is that true?

Unfortunately, you cannot name your own owl. But the name is neutral and has its meaning - Shard. As for being able to upgrade your owl, you don't exactly upgrade it, but something like it. As you continue to play the game, new battlesets are unlocked, which give you certain advantages in different abilities. The game isn't really like Spyro when it comes to upgrading your character. To a point, perhaps, since you are always defeating enemies, therefore learning new moves eventually. But the battlesets don't come over how much experience you have / how many enemies you have defeated, they are unlocked as you complete key objectives in your overall mission. One battleset, in particular, is gained after you defeat one of the elite enemies - the Hagsfiend Queen.
---
"A real intelligence agent has no ego, no conscience, no remorse. Only a sense of professionalism."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:37:53 17/12/2010 by Wylrin
#109 Posted: 22:07:02 17/12/2010
Quote: Wylrin

Unfortunately, you cannot name your own owl. But the name is neutral and has its meaning - Shard. As for being able to upgrade your owl, you don't exactly upgrade it, but something like it. As you continue to play the game, new battlesets are unlocked, which give you certain advantages in different abilities. The game isn't really like Spyro when it comes to upgrading your character. To a point, perhaps, since you are always defeating enemies, therefore learning new moves eventually. But the battlesets don't come over how much experience you have / how many enemies you have defeated, they are unlocked as you complete key objectives in your overall mission. One battleset, in particular, is gained after you defeat one of the elite enemies - the Hagsfiend Queen.

Oh, okay. What owl would you say is the best?
---
I draw stuff.
#110 Posted: 22:38:04 17/12/2010
Quote: Bolt
Quote: Wylrin

Oh, okay. What owl would you say is the best?

Because I can't pick from Spotted or Barn Owl.
---
I draw stuff.
#111 Posted: 00:11:00 18/12/2010
My personal favorite is the barn owl. It is a good combination of all abilities and does not lack in any specific ability. However, when I'm in the mood for racing around the owl world (which is part of the bonus missions) I'll pick a spotted owl so I can zoom around and try not to run into anything. smilie

I'll also pick a great gray owl if I feel like beating up bad guys. smilie (It gets hard after a while playing a spotted owl when fighting hagsfiends because they never die!)

The only owl I don't recommend is the great horned owl.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:15:49 18/12/2010 by Wylrin
#112 Posted: 01:01:15 18/12/2010
Okay, thank you.
---
I draw stuff.
#113 Posted: 01:02:29 18/12/2010
We are hearing all these good things about the game, but we all have to remember that it got rather lackluster reviews. That is why I'm gonna rent this before I even think of looking at it at Gamestop.
#114 Posted: 01:17:14 18/12/2010
I never heard of the reviews. But still I'm buying it. I love the movie and nothing will stop me from getting the game, even if is doesn't have the best reviews.
---
I draw stuff.
#115 Posted: 01:34:34 18/12/2010
I remember Nintendo Power giving the Wii version a 4/10.
#116 Posted: 01:42:07 18/12/2010
Really? I'm going to get it on PS3. Anyway, it sound cool.
---
I draw stuff.
#117 Posted: 02:31:48 18/12/2010
I figure that it's even worse on the 360/PS3.

Either way, I'll be giving it a rental when I get my Gamefly membership back.
#118 Posted: 02:34:25 18/12/2010
I won't really care. I'll ask Wyrlin if it is good.
---
I draw stuff.
#119 Posted: 16:08:36 18/12/2010
In my opinion it is a really good game. It has story missions as well as bonus missions in which you can just fly around and do whatever - there are bombing missions, where you are timed how long it takes you to throw hot coals and destroy a certain number of catupalts/balistas. There are also owlet rescue missions, races (you know in Ripto's Rage where there are those portals you enter and you are timed how long it takes you to crash into racecars and stuff, and fly through those rings? Well, the speed flying is pretty much the same. You fly through the rings until you get to the end and they time you.) There are survival missions, where all you do is fight enemies. So the game is a good mixture of storyline and freeplay.
---
#120 Posted: 16:56:07 18/12/2010
Quote: CAV

I tried finding the review on that in the magazines at the libary, but I couldn't find the right magazine.
Anyway, I can understand why the Wii version got a low rating. When I played the demo on ps3, which is also the console I am getting it on, i could just tell that this is the type of game that would be a nightmare to play. I had a horrible time playing Sonic Riders 2 due to the unresponsive controls, so I can't imagine what free flying game with bad controls must be like. Actullay I can, it's probably what results in a Wii landing on your head when your walking by a window.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#121 Posted: 00:21:34 19/12/2010
The great thing about Legend of the Guardians- book wise- is that it explains the history of owls.

I think if Activision followed this and made the history of LoS more deep, it would be very good.

I haven't seen the movie yet, BTW, but when it comes out here I'm going to buy it... I loved the books. And yes, I know they're different.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:07 19/12/2010 by GamingMaster_76
#122 Posted: 01:40:56 19/12/2010
^
Agreed
---
#123 Posted: 05:59:40 19/12/2010
Quote: CAV

I tried finding the review on that in the magazines at the libary, but I couldn't find the right magazine.

Issue 260. The 25th anniversary of the NES. I made a mistake, it got a 4.5/10. smilie

I found a demo on Xbox Live. I'll download it tomorrow and give my thoughts here.
#124 Posted: 10:05:31 19/12/2010
Shouldn't you play as Sorren, Gylfie and so on though (Sorren mostly)? They are the main characters in the movie.
---
I draw stuff.
#125 Posted: 10:09:08 19/12/2010
Technically, you could say Soren's there. He's a Barn Owl. And if I remember what Wyrlin said, you could also say the same for Twilight.
Soren- Barn Owl
Gylfie- Elf Owl(or Pygmy? Forgot.)
Twilight- Great Grey Owl
Digger- Burrowing Owl
#126 Posted: 10:18:08 19/12/2010
Yeah, I guess. But it's not really him. I just find it strange.
Yes, Gylfie is an Elf Owl.
---
I draw stuff.
#127 Posted: 10:22:39 19/12/2010
I know... I was actually thinking of getting the game, but I was really hoping you could play as the Band(This is what the group of the four owls are called in the books).
#128 Posted: 10:25:23 19/12/2010
Yes, and the movie too, I knew what you meant. That's what I was hoping for too.
---
I draw stuff.
#129 Posted: 10:28:14 19/12/2010
Still, the balance of their abilities sound nice. It would be pretty fun if you could play as Metal Beak. smilie
#130 Posted: 10:37:23 19/12/2010
That would be awesome, or Nyra too, like in a mini-game or something. Maybe they could have made made a four player system and change from Sorren, Gylfie, Digger and Twilight freely.
---
I draw stuff.
#131 Posted: 10:41:07 19/12/2010
Mini-games for the chaws.

Like races in the weather chaw, tasks in the coillering chaw, etc., with multiplayer, and you can choose from the owl types in that chaw.
#132 Posted: 10:44:46 19/12/2010
Yeah, fair enough.
---
I draw stuff.
#133 Posted: 10:48:50 19/12/2010
It would be good for a sequel or spin-off. You know, they could literally make 4 more sequels, one for every 3 books, but that's another topic...
#134 Posted: 10:51:38 19/12/2010
That would be a better idea. Krome must have not been thinking when they did this game, not letting you be the Band and all.
---
I draw stuff.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#135 Posted: 10:58:29 19/12/2010
Some games about a movie, book or TV show tend to make you play as "new" characters.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#136 Posted: 20:48:34 19/12/2010
I know, which I think is stupid. I know a few games like that.
---
I draw stuff.
minredd Blue Sparx Gems: 698
#137 Posted: 20:54:44 19/12/2010 | Topic Creator
You do play as a "new" character. An owl breed of your choice named Shard.
#138 Posted: 01:21:21 20/12/2010
Well, you may not be able to play as members of the band, but they are included in the game. You even help ensure that Soren, Gylfie, Twilight, and Digger get to the Great Tree safely in your very first mission.
---
#139 Posted: 01:42:09 20/12/2010
Really? Still, I think it is weird.
---
I draw stuff.
#140 Posted: 01:43:39 20/12/2010
Yes, Soren and the band are often shone and mentioned in the cutscenes in the game.
---
#141 Posted: 01:47:54 20/12/2010
I hope it is good. I can't wait to play it anyway.
---
I draw stuff.
#142 Posted: 00:27:22 21/12/2010
Quote: Bolt
Really? Still, I think it is weird.

Yeah, this is like when Frank West wasn't in Deadrising 2 except for the Xbox version.
Stupid Xbox. Why does that caveman console get everything?
But to be honest, I wasn't expecting to find the Band in the game at all, not after a lot of majour characters that were cut out of the movie. it would be great to see them in the game. I hope I get to kill off Digger.
#143 Posted: 00:36:07 21/12/2010
Don't you like Digger?
---
I draw stuff.
#144 Posted: 00:36:30 21/12/2010
Why Digger? I know he may be really crazy in the movie, but he isn't like that in the book. Why must the young burrowing owl die so young?
---
#145 Posted: 00:39:19 21/12/2010
Well, I've never read the books (even though I really want to) so I don't know what Digger's really like. I don't want Digger to die, he is funny.
---
I draw stuff.
#146 Posted: 00:41:30 21/12/2010
Yeah, Digger is nothing like that in the books. In the books he is always the logical one. And Twilight doesn't have a banjo either. smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:42:18 21/12/2010 by Wylrin
#147 Posted: 00:45:03 21/12/2010
Strange, the movie has made it so different.
---
I draw stuff.
#148 Posted: 00:51:59 21/12/2010
I know. While I was watching the movie I'm thinking, "How can anyone who hasn't read the books even know what's going on?" I am impressed with it, though. I mean, it would be hard to squish such detailed writings into a short hour or two. I was surprised that they even included some of the characters. Some of them - like Otulissa and Nyra - don't be presented until later books. Well, they are presented, but they don't actually do anything epic until the... say.... fourth book? You know who Nyra is in the third book, but she doesn't actually strike until the fourth book. And as for Otulissa, she appears in the second book but really makes an impact in the much later books, such as teaching the new king of Ga'hoole.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:54:10 21/12/2010 by Wylrin
#149 Posted: 00:58:55 21/12/2010
Isn't the movie based on the first three books?
---
I draw stuff.
#150 Posted: 00:59:21 21/12/2010
Pretty much. But the way they set it up Nyra is in the movie like she was in the first book from the beginning. In the books, St. Augeolious and the Pure Ones were different organizations, and even rivals. But in the movie, they were combined together.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:03:24 21/12/2010 by Wylrin
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me