Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Is there anything you don't like about Classic Spyro?
First | Previous | Page 4 of 4
1 2 3 4
Is there anything you don't like about Classic Spyro? [CLOSED]
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#151 Posted: 21:06:00 07/12/2010
There's a lot more to do in classic Spyro though when it comes to speedrunning - That's what I meant. I own Sonic 06 and pretty much every Sonic game released, so I'm aware of what glitches exist there smilie

I guess I'm with Stormy on this one. There's not much you can do after LoS, other than speedrunning (which I personally find very boring on the Legend games)..... There's no easter eggs to find either, which saddens me smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#152 Posted: 21:42:09 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
When it comes to speedrunning, Sonic is better by far. In Spyro, just charge through a level, throw in a couple of jumps, a glitch or two and that's it.
In Sonic, you have all that, plus physics, different characters for the one level, tons of different paths in one level and not to mention levels that are actually built for speed. Also, different Sonic games have features that are unique to each game and lend well to speedrunning, such as Wisp powers in Sonic Colours. Also, the physics in Sonic make it fun to muck around in! (Of course, Sonic 06 isn't that great for speedrunning, so that's an exception.)

As for LoS, you can experiment with combos (I still have more techniques I want to test), speedrun, and in DotD, it' really fun to muck around(especially when you use cheats). But I do understand that different people have different opinions.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#153 Posted: 21:50:00 07/12/2010
Ah, I understand where you're coming from. I actually prefer DotD with cheats on, I don't like experimenting with combos though.

But you're right! We all have different opinions smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#154 Posted: 22:26:50 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I totally understand why people don't like LoS, but I think calling it a bad game is a bit much. A bad game is a game that simply doesn't function, and can't do what it's supposed to do without a ton of bugs getting in the way(Sonic 06, I'm looking at you!). LoS is mainly a fighting/beat-em-up type game, and as a fan of this kind of stuff, I can say that it does that well, but it's certainly not going to make people who don't like fighting games change their mind. It's just like the way Classic Spyro games won't make people who dislike platformers change their minds. (Of course, I'm talking on a general scale here).

In fact, here is something that will blow your mind:
When I was a kid, I only liked platforming, skateboarding and racing games. I HATED fighting/beat-em-up games, the only exception being Tekken 3. So, if I played TLoS when I was a kid I would probably of hated it until now (In fact, I think that's one of the reasons I stopped playing Spyro for a couple of years).

If you want to know why I hated fighting games as a kid, it's because I could never memorise a moves list and could not think quickly in a battle, so I button mashed. That's why I sometimes get annoyed when people call a game bad because "it's a button masher". There is no such thing as a button mashing GAME, just button mashing PLAYERS. Heck, fighting games aren't the only games that you can button mash in!smilie

Whew, sorry! I think went astray there!smilie
---
#155 Posted: 22:33:47 07/12/2010
Haha, that's okay smilie

For me, it was the opposite - As a kid, I liked fighting games, but nowadays, I don't find them much fun. Seeing combos can be fun I'll admit, but they really have to make me go 'woah, awesome' so to speak, and sadly the Legend games don't have any moves that do so (Except maybe furies).

And I got hit by every possible major glitch in DotD, which would explain why I do consider it a bad game, from my own personal experience smilie
Of course, many people have been lucky and not got hit with any so..... Yeah.
---
#156 Posted: 23:04:30 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
You have the Wii version, am I right?
I hear the Wii/PS2 version is a bit dodgy. I have the Xbox 360 version so I wouldn't know. In my copy, I have only experienced two or three annoying glitches and they were not very major. I am actually interested in picking up the Wii/PS2 version to see what it's like.
---
#157 Posted: 23:13:11 07/12/2010
Yep, although I am looking to get a PS3 copy. One thing I can't fault with DotD is the graphics smilie
---
#158 Posted: 23:54:56 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, it's one of the best looking games I've seen on Xbox 360!smilie
I have been interested in getting a PS3 copy just to see what flying feels like with the SixAxis. It has no trophies though, which is really weird considering the time it was released.
---
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#159 Posted: 00:42:56 08/12/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler182
The biggest flaw of Classic Spyro for me may be hard to understand, but bear with me:

They aren't ageing very well. Or rather, you have to give them a couple of years to really enjoy them again. When I finished them as a kid, I did not want to go through them again, as they just were not fun once I finished them and knew all the level designs. That's probably why I stopped playing Spyro in the first place. Now, years later, I was able to play through them and enjoy it, but now...I think I should give them another couple of years.

And I don't get the same thing with Mario, Sonic or Crash, or even TLoS. Those games have a fun exploration and speedrunning element and what not, but Spyro only has an exploration element. The levels are boring to speedrun. And also, TLoS(and some Sonic games) have a a combat system that is fun to experiment with. Classic Spyro ONLY has exploration, and I won't be able to truly enjoy it again until I have forgotten the level designs. That's why I want to find my copy of Spyro 3 and re-buy AHT, as I have forgotten their level designs and what not. The same happened with Spyro 1 and 2, but I found them, and was able to relive the game, but now that I have beaten them again, they are not fun for more than 30 minutes.

I completely agree. Like with Sonic Colours, I am already on the third last level and I rented it four days ago. But some of the levels will be worth playing over and over with the speedrunning, so I won't get bored with it for awhile.
Classic Spyro doesn't have that. I usually fall into the same category. After I play the games and know the levels, I get bored pretty quick.
#160 Posted: 00:54:10 08/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Also, in Classic Spyro, most things are hidden in pretty predictable places(unlike some of the Red Rings in Sonic Colours!smilie).
---
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#161 Posted: 02:57:28 08/12/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler128
@Stormy: Speedrunning isn't the only thing that let's me enjoy a game after 100% completion, it's just a good example. There are lots of little things that help me enjoy a game after completion. Classic Spyro just did not have anything like that for me. It's not even fun to muck about in! I always have to wait years for a Classic Spyro game to be fun again. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I made a topic about expressing negative aspects towards Classic Spyro, so I may as well contribute!

@sonicbrawler128: Don't worry, I get what you were doing. I've met enough people who have tried to do that that I can tell the difference between someone stating their opinion and someone who thinks that they'll change mine if they argue enough. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I think you're wrong, necessarily.

I definitely agree about the games losing their sense of awe the first time around, though. Some of the things were unpredictable the first time around, but once you know where they are it's easy (like Haunted Towers). But I think that's true of every game. Once you've completed it, there's very little to be surprised about anymore, unless you actually missed something the first time around. That's the reason I wish there were more games out there like classic Spyro. I enjoyed it a lot, but there's no way it could ever be the same as the first time I discovered everything.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:57:57 08/12/2010 by Stormy
#162 Posted: 12:47:58 08/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I know, but with Classic Spyro, it's especially true. With a Sonic game, I can still be awestruck by finding an amazing shortcut in a level, and I'm just like "Wow, did I really do that!?". And these shortcuts can sometimes require knowing the level like the back of your hand, so, in a Sonic game, knowing a level can help you enjoy it more. And in a fighting game, knowing how different characters play helps you to enjoy it more. But in Classic Spyro, knowledge makes it less fun. I just REALLY wish there could of been something that lets me still amaze myself after I hit 100%(or 117%).

To be fair though, Spyro 2 & 3 made attempts. Spyro 2 gives you infinite Superflame, while Spyro 3 had the Skill Points.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#163 Posted: 12:56:41 08/12/2010
Spyro 2 also has skill points. smilie
#164 Posted: 12:57:24 08/12/2010 | Topic Creator
It does? I gotta check it out!smilie
*plays Spyro 2 for a bit*
Done 'em all..... that was fun!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:17:03 08/12/2010 by sonicbrawler182
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#165 Posted: 23:57:49 08/12/2010
Also, in Classic Spyro, most things are hidden in pretty predictable places(unlike some of the Red Rings in Sonic Colours!smilie).

Yeah, sometimes I die 3 times in a row just trying to get one ring. Evantullay I just decided it wasn't worth it.
#166 Posted: 16:34:45 09/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Ohoho, but it's WELL worth getting all them! The reward is awesome!smilie
---
ShadowDragon91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1427
#167 Posted: 03:19:30 10/12/2010
Quote: torok
I HATED how they made Sparx Spyro's life bar, and also how they incorporated the dragonflies as the companions and protectors of the dragons in ETD. I mean, dragons are supposed to be these powerful creatures and yet they rely on an insignificant magical bug! That just makes all dragons look weak!

I so totally agree with you Torok, I thought that was a rather unrealistic idea they made. I mean, dragons are extremely tough creatures and they don't need a tiny insignificant insect to protect them (they can hold their own quite well.) And yes, that REALLY made the dragons look wimpy.
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
#168 Posted: 03:45:58 10/12/2010
Unrealistic in a world of dragons: a phrase that really shouldn't exist.

I rather liked Sparx being Spyro's life meter back in the day. It was the first time we didn't have some screen-cluttering random bar or set of numbers to remember. I found it quite refreshing and it added to the sense of magic in the games.
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#169 Posted: 03:51:29 10/12/2010
Yea, I never really had a problem wiyh sparx being your energy! I knda like it actually! smilie
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#170 Posted: 11:24:47 10/12/2010
Quote: Razz
Unrealistic in a world of dragons: a phrase that really shouldn't exist.

I rather liked Sparx being Spyro's life meter back in the day. It was the first time we didn't have some screen-cluttering random bar or set of numbers to remember. I found it quite refreshing and it added to the sense of magic in the games.

I totally agree with you, it's kind of like Crash Bandicoot and the Aku-aku mask.

I must admit that 'In the World of Dragons' does sound a bit stupid, but I didn't really care about that, I was too young to even reason with anything, I guess when you don't reason with stuff like that, it makes it more enjoyable, I don't know.

EDIT: It's only a game at the end of the day, you can't make it too realistic. In my opinion, I find the 'realistic' games a little bit boring, I like to have a bit of fun and weirdness mixed in.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:25:45 10/12/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#171 Posted: 21:37:42 10/12/2010
Sparx being Spyro's healthbar can be from Sparx being manifestation of Spyro's soul, his ilusion (noticed how nobody talked to Sparx during cutscenes?), or his skin is as sensitive to Spyro's health as chameleon's to emotions...
---
Keep smile
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#172 Posted: 23:02:49 10/12/2010
That's kind of how I thought of it; I've always imagined Spyro and Sparx as being linked in a similar way. "A manifestation of Spyro's soul" is a good way to put it.
#173 Posted: 23:06:25 10/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Well, people did notice Sparx:

A dragon tells you about him in Spyro 1.
Hunter knows he disappeared in ETD.
Hunter talks to him in AHT.
The GBA games.

Also, Sparx goes with Sheila, Sgt.Byrd, etc.
Not to mention the prologue to the Japanese Spyro 1.
---
#174 Posted: 23:26:47 10/12/2010
Really? What does he do in the prologue to the Japanese Spyro?

And, yeah, I saw him as sort of being magically connected to Spyro. There's a great fic about it all by ScarabDynasty called "Dum Spyro Spira" (or something like) that was really well written. Of course, the fact that no adult dragons have dragonflies leaves a rather sad thought in my head.
#175 Posted: 23:34:22 10/12/2010 | Topic Creator
In the prologue to the Japanese Spyro 1(it's in the instruction manual), it shows how Spyro and Sparx came to the Artisans. Basically, a group of thieves are running by with two eggs, but some dragons spot them and scare them off. The thieves drop the eggs, one red, one yellow and green. Suddenly the eggs start to hatch. Spyro comes from the red one and Sparx comes from the yellow and green one. The dragons decide to raise the two newborns, and the fairies cast spells on them, to protect them (Spyro's flame?). It says they were like brothers to each other.
---
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#176 Posted: 23:39:34 10/12/2010
Thats cool, I never knew about that!
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#177 Posted: 23:45:14 10/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Here it is:
---
waytodawn96 Green Sparx Gems: 399
#178 Posted: 01:12:20 11/12/2010
I grew up on classic spyro, but, i think LOS suites me better basicly because i like the deeper,darker storyline, and i think that aplies to all LoS fans. if you don't like it, than your not that type of gamer. correct?
---
Is it possable to go to bed dead and wake up alive???! smilie I'm Random and proud of it!
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#179 Posted: 01:21:29 11/12/2010
What I don't like about the classic Spyro games (1-AHT) is that they are a little easy. You can basically play through it once and you got the gist of everything. But the beauty of the classics was that you didn't have to collect everything to beat the game. Plus they gave you a neat little reward (an extra level and extra cut-scene) if you did get everything.

But all in all, yeah, that's basically what I didn't like about the classics was that they are, with out a doubt, easy to get used to. As for the emptiness of Spyro 2 and onward. . . I always figured because of the evil that was going on at the time, people decided to to stay in their home-worlds, plus some of the portals weren't working do to the lack of magic or orbs, so that could explain that.
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
#180 Posted: 01:32:09 11/12/2010
I've got the Japanese Spyro 1 and I've seen the manual (so...pretty...!) but I can't read a word of Japanese so I didn't have a clue what it was saying. smilie

As for the emptiness of the games, I suppose at least Spyro 2 actually gives you a good reason for it; Elora disappears because she has a lot of stuff to do to fix things, the Professor has experiments to work on, Moneybags won't stick around if he can't profit from it, and Hunter...just wanders around as he sees fit. smilie It's still pretty empty, though.

When it comes to the difficulty/easiness of the classic Spyros, I actually can't fault them. The games were made for a young audience and were kind of easy on purpose (though they did try to even that out with challenges like the skill points). In contrast, LoS doesn't even know what its target audience is (one of the most oft repeated complaints the series gets is that the gameplay is far too tough for youngsters but too easy for older players, or it just outright cheats (knocking Spyro off a ledge while he's staggering from a blow, a gang of enemies beating him to a pulp while he literally can't recover because of the game code, etc.)).
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#181 Posted: 02:12:39 11/12/2010
Spyro 3 doesn't technically have emptiness, it depends on how well you play the game. Play it well, you'll only see people outside in the first home-world, play it normally and you'll find the inhabitants waiting for Spyro to collect enough eggs so they can go back home. ETD, well pretty self-explanatory there, it was in unfinished game smilie .

The difficulty, yeah, it was aimed for kids, so that makes sense why the game is a little easy to get use to. This is not to say that I won't die a couple of times through out the play-through, but yeah, its pretty straight forward: Charge, Flame, or other, to get rid of your enemies. LOS, especially TEN smilie, has a very, frustrating difficulty curve, if it ever had one. As you said Razz, they will either kick you when your down, or they will have a very misleading jump distance, or you'll get knocked off an edge. . . what fun.
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
#182 Posted: 13:57:20 11/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Well, I'm used to fighting games, so LoS wasn't actually too bad in terms of difficulty. TEN was a challenge though. Basically, in any fighting game, enemies will get you when your're down, but the whole point is to get THEM down before they get you!smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:59:38 11/12/2010 by sonicbrawler182
#183 Posted: 13:58:38 11/12/2010
I never did find TEN that challenging though..... I actually find ETD more of a challenge overall, what with that Monkey Monastery slide and all.
---
#184 Posted: 14:04:03 11/12/2010
When I was a kid I found the Classic Spyro games kind of difficult, not too difficult though, they were fun and challenging, nowadays, I don't really fail on them as much, and I just like to play them for nostalgia and a bit of fun, TLOS I can't play for anything, it's not my type of game.

EDIT: In my opinion, The Legend of Spyro isn't Spyro.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:05:15 11/12/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
#185 Posted: 14:45:06 11/12/2010
The thing is, back then the internet wasn't used as much I guess..... So it was up to you to do all the searching which made it a bit more difficult. Not to mention there weren't as many games, so everything was kinda unique.

Nowadays, you can just look up a guide when you get stuck so..... Less challenging. On top of that, practically every game walks you through (OH NO A CLIFF PRESS X TO JUMP). I hate that with all games nowadays, I don't need to be taught the basics. It's not my fault if some people are too lazy to read an instruction manual when they're stuck smilie
---
#186 Posted: 14:47:13 11/12/2010 | Topic Creator
But they original Spyro games are not innocent of over-tutorialing. Heck, they made a joke about it in AHT!smilie
---
#187 Posted: 14:54:43 11/12/2010
When I was a kid, it took me a long while to glide to a ledge, I was only like 8 or 9, and the hover I could never get, that took me like ten tries! LOL, I wasn't very good at games back then.
#188 Posted: 14:55:25 11/12/2010
No, I meant in the original, very first game. They gave you tips, but that was it smilie
---
#189 Posted: 14:58:36 11/12/2010
Right?
#190 Posted: 14:59:24 11/12/2010
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Right?

That was aimed at sonicbrawler smilie
---
#191 Posted: 15:00:47 11/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Oh right, I thought you meant Classic Spyro in general!smilie
---
#192 Posted: 20:48:01 13/12/2010
In Spyro: Year of the Dragon, just as you go in to fight the Sorceress, there is no cut scene whatsoever, nothing, I found that disappointing, and there isn't really a decent ending in my opinion, it's not really that epic, just random. It's like Insomniac Games couldn't be bothered to be kind of a little bit serious about it considering it will be their last ever Spyro game.

EDIT: I also find the Sorceress fight, really, really dull and easy, I still think that Ripto in Spyro 2 is epic.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:48:44 13/12/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
#193 Posted: 20:51:41 13/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, even if it's a light-hearted game, there should still be some tension for the final boss. The original trilogy lacked that, especially YotD, and so did ETD. Also, the second Sorceress fight was too mini-game like. Not to mention most Classic Spyro bosses are too easy.
---
#194 Posted: 20:54:04 13/12/2010
Yeah, even if it's a light-hearted game, there should still be some tension for the final boss. The original trilogy lacked that, especially YotD, and so did ETD. Also, the second Sorceress fight was too mini-game like. Not to mention most Classic Spyro bosses are too easy.

To be honest with you, the only Classic Spyro boss I find challenging, not hard, not easy, is Ripto from Spyro 2. He's kind of challenging in ETD, but you sort of get used to it.

Classic Spyro needed more of a story, as when you're playing through it, you seem to forget about the story as it is not that important. I don't think you're really meant to take much notice of the storyline with these classic ones, especially the first three.

EDIT: But with the Legend of Spyro, it did have a story, but it felt rushed and over done to me.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:54:45 13/12/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
#195 Posted: 20:59:48 13/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, the Ripto fight in Spyro 2 was the only REALLY cool boss in the original trilogy.

Spyro 1 had virtually no story, Spyro 2 had a bland plot (at face value) and Spyro 3 had a pretty cool plot.
---
#196 Posted: 21:01:34 13/12/2010
Yeah, the Ripto fight in Spyro 2 was the only REALLY cool boss in the original trilogy.

Spyro 1 had virtually no story, Spyro 2 had a bland plot (at face value) and Spyro 3 had a pretty cool plot.

They all seem pretty much the same to me, LOL. Never mind, I never used to worry about it when I was younger, but now, Spyro does need a really decent storyline, and one that needs to have spent a lot of time on.
#197 Posted: 20:30:44 20/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I agree.
---
First | Previous | Page 4 of 4
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me