Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > A topic for Classic Spyro Fans
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
A topic for Classic Spyro Fans [CLOSED]
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#1 Posted: 12:19:28 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
This is a topic that has been begging to be made for a long time. I can't go to the General board now without every single topic talking about TLOS, or at least has Legend Spyro/Cynder's name in there somewhere. This is a topic for fans of the Classics, who wish to talk about Original Spyro, the games that started Spyro in the first place, without Legend Spyro and Cynder popping in the topic somewhere. It's a topic for the people who are fans of the originals, and aren't fans of TLOS. I for one, want a break from all the TLOS stuff and SpyroxCynder that keeps on getting shoved down my throat.

There is no reason for the Legend fans to get angry. They have plenty of topics for them to go talk in. I'm sorry Legend fans, but it's the truth. This is a topic for Classic fans, who wish to talk about the classics without TLOS's name getting mentioned (well, at least not getting talked about all the time). I don't see any wrong with a topic like this getting made. If anything, it would keep all the legend hates away from your topics, because now they finally have a topic to talk about the classics.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:15:05 08/12/2010 by DarkCynder_543
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#2 Posted: 12:28:22 07/12/2010
Yaaaay! I think I love you. smilie

Well...what about the classics shall we talk about here? It sounds like you've got the same problem with certain fans that I do (namely that they can't stop beating you over the head with a certain irrelevant couple). That being said, do you have a favorite ship (or ships or lack thereof) from the classic games?

Myself, I'm an avid crack shipper, so I'll pair up just about anyone from the games for a lark (Elora/any girl, Sheila/Bentley, Spyro/nobody, etc.). But I admit to a fondness for Elora/Spyro since it was pretty much the first instance of even a hint of romance I had ever seen in a video game at that time (also: interspecies relationships ftw! smilie).

Oh, and to clear up potential confusion, how are you defining "classic" Spyro for this topic? Do you mean the Insomniac trilogy only or everything up to the end of Shadow Legacy?
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#3 Posted: 12:50:12 07/12/2010
Best. Topic. Ever smilie

I still think Spyro/Elora make the best Spyro couple. What I love is how Spyro seems oblivious to Elora's subtle hints smilie
If not Elora, I think Spyro should be alone. Or with a grown up/mature Ember, simply because 'I lieks her'. smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#4 Posted: 12:54:30 07/12/2010
Heheh, I was about to make a topic like this! Looks like you beat me to it!smilie'

Anyway, anyone have a certain moment in the Classics that they were awe-struck by? For me, it's the Long Glide in Spyro 2. So peaceful! In fact, I loved Autumn Plains as a whole!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#5 Posted: 12:54:50 07/12/2010
Yeah, Spyro was never the brightest crayon in the box. smilie That was part of his charm, though. It's nice to find a hero who can be as dense as anyone else. smilie

I've got nothing against AHT Spyro/Ember. Pink and purple go nicely together. smilie I'm more of an Ember/Bandit person, though; he seemed to pay her the attention she craved and, as I said, interspecies couples ftw. smilie Or Ember/any girl because that's just how I roll. smilie
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#6 Posted: 14:14:01 07/12/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Heheh, I was about to make a topic like this! Looks like you beat me to it!smilie'

Anyway, anyone have a certain moment in the Classics that they were awe-struck by? For me, it's the Long Glide in Spyro 2. So peaceful! In fact, I loved Autumn Plains as a whole!smilie

oh yea I also loved that part in Autumn plains(with that calming music)
also,Fireworks Factory <3!I loved the look of that place,the sky and all!
and being blown out of that canon xD
and lot more places:0
#7 Posted: 14:18:22 07/12/2010
Also, I love the music in Glimmer! It alone makes me want to play the game!
Also, the suprisingly epic, yet mischeivous feel of the boss fights in AHT.
---
#8 Posted: 14:28:09 07/12/2010
I was in awe of the super charge puzzles in Tree Tops and Haunted Towers. The solutions are still impressive feats of platforming for me.

Scenery wise, both Autumn Plains and Winter Tundra always took my breath away, and I adore one of the levels in Midnight Mountain in YotD (it's the crystal mountains one; it's just so pretty).

Heck, much of the scenery in the Spyro games through AHT was always a high point for me. I'm not normally one who cares about environments, but it was all so bright and charming and interestingly designed. It always give me a good sense of the unique worlds in the series.
#9 Posted: 14:34:11 07/12/2010
Quote: Razz
I was in awe of the super charge puzzles in Tree Tops and Haunted Towers. The solutions are still impressive feats of platforming for me.

Scenery wise, both Autumn Plains and Winter Tundra always took my breath away, and I adore one of the levels in Midnight Mountain in YotD (it's the crystal mountains one; it's just so pretty).

Heck, much of the scenery in the Spyro games through AHT was always a high point for me. I'm not normally one who cares about environments, but it was all so bright and charming and interestingly designed. It always give me a good sense of the unique worlds in the series.

oh yes,Crystal Islands,especially when you got that free-flight to find some hidden treasure and to flame that thief x3!
I liked the idea of unlocking the free-flying(even tho it wasn't permanent,but still enough to get around and you can always recharge it) when you get to the end of the level so you can find hidden treasure or just for fun flying x3
#10 Posted: 14:37:10 07/12/2010
Wait...are you saying that it's possible to unlock free flight in any level in YotD, or just Crystal Islands? If the former, I must now how that is done. o.o

Apparently, Crystal Islands was originally going to be a forest level (hence the floating beavers with chainsaws), but they changed their minds at the last minute and didn't really have time to fix the character designs. I'm rather glad it is the way it is; the exploding tress are beautiful (and how often do you get to ever say that in a sentence? smilie).
#11 Posted: 14:43:26 07/12/2010
Oh yeah, a lot of people seem to hate Tree Tops for being hard, but I loved it! I thought I was playing "Sonic the Dragon"!smilie
---
#12 Posted: 14:47:10 07/12/2010
Wait...are you saying that it's possible to unlock free flight in any level in YotD, or just Crystal Islands? If the former, I must now how that is done. o.o

Apparently, Crystal Islands was originally going to be a forest level (hence the floating beavers with chainsaws), but they changed their minds at the last minute and didn't really have time to fix the character designs. I'm rather glad it is the way it is; the exploding tress are beautiful (and how often do you get to ever say that in a sentence? smilie).

hehe I wish xD but ,no It's just for Crystal islands smilieand Super Bonus World.
Maybe there's a way to free-fly with cheat codes with a gameshark,but I'm not sure =/

ow really?a forest level?wow that'd be interesting :0
the first 3 games kinda lacked any forest/jungle levels..
#13 Posted: 14:49:05 07/12/2010
It is possible to fly at anytime with Gameshark. If you have the games on an emulator, you could also get a virtual Gameshark and try it like that.
---
#14 Posted: 14:49:08 07/12/2010
I loved Tree Tops in part because of it's challenge. It took me years to learn the trick to solving that one and it still gives me trouble sometimes. And I can thank that level for introducing me to one of the Insomniac team, in a round about way. This topic kind of makes me want to dig through those e-mails again and try to post them.

Well, there was Tree Tops and Summer Forest, in their way.
#15 Posted: 14:59:34 07/12/2010
I loved Tree Tops in part because of it's challenge. It took me years to learn the trick to solving that one and it still gives me trouble sometimes. And I can thank that level for introducing me to one of the Insomniac team, in a round about way. This topic kind of makes me want to dig through those e-mails again and try to post them.

Well, there was Tree Tops and Summer Forest, in their way.

agreed Tree Tops was pretty challenging smilie but you really just had to follow the thieves,they kinda hint you the way ,but get easily out of sight smilie
And I loved when you finally manage to get to that far away area with the crystallized dragon,and then Spyro tells him ''yea,well you could've found an easier spot to get stuck -.-''
#16 Posted: 15:07:47 07/12/2010
I actually don't find Tree Tops that challenging at all, but you do have to experiment a little to get everything.
---
#17 Posted: 15:12:44 07/12/2010
With my vision being what it is (or isn't, as the case happens to be), levels like Tree Tops were really hard. It took a lot of trial and error before I could follow the one thief successfully.
#18 Posted: 15:18:37 07/12/2010
Well, yeah, it's acceptable in your case, but it bugs me when people bash something simply because it's difficult. IGN docked marks from Sonic 4 because they thought the final boss was too hard. You can imagine my reaction!smilie
---
#19 Posted: 15:54:11 07/12/2010
Pfft. I grew up playing the original NES and was never good enough to beat most of the games on it (it took the combined efforts of me, my sister, and my cousin, plus eight solid hours of playing to beat my favorite game ever the first time, and that one's not even hard). I might not be good enough to beat a game, but I don't bash them for being hard (so long as it's a reasonable kind of hard).
#20 Posted: 17:04:40 07/12/2010
Yeah, Spyro was never the brightest crayon in the box. smilie That was part of his charm, though. It's nice to find a hero who can be as dense as anyone else. smilie

I've got nothing against AHT Spyro/Ember. Pink and purple go nicely together. smilie I'm more of an Ember/Bandit person, though; he seemed to pay her the attention she craved and, as I said, interspecies couples ftw. smilie Or Ember/any girl because that's just how I roll. smilie

Oooh, how could I forget Ember/Bandit? I wish they continued the series. A return of the Sorcerer would be amazing, and Ember/Bandit would be so nice to see.

I don't like Flame/Ember much though..... It just seems like fans pair anyone they can together.

Also, Tree Tops is <3
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
Faun Yellow Sparx Gems: 1291
#21 Posted: 19:05:11 07/12/2010
This is the best topic I have ever seen.

Tree Tops is amazing. I remember last year when my brother decided to buy a new copy of Spyro 1. Talk about nostalgia overload. smilie I'm usually quite happy to sit and watch someone play a game for hours, and when he got to Tree Tops, it was hilarious. He fails at supercharge. It's funny, when I was little, I remembered him being the one that was great at using the supercharge, but now it's me. I cleared Tree Tops for him in only a couple of tries. (He must have got game over about five times)

Also, when me, my sister and my brother played Spyro 3 together, they asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said "I want a fireworks factory!" and now every time we I play through that level they always bring it up. smilie It's been one of my favourite levels ever since.
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Cynder985 Ripto Gems: 425
#22 Posted: 19:07:02 07/12/2010

I didn't even know that! O.o

Anyway, what I really love about the original games is the music. They're really catchy and I couldn't stop listening to them. smilie And for levels, I really hated the Tree Tops level. My favorite level would have to be Lofty Castle because of the music and how beautiful-looking the level is. My favorite homeworld is Winter Tundra because of how ambient the music is and it was the most memorable to me.
#23 Posted: 19:16:26 07/12/2010
I liked the music too! Maybe not half as much as I love Sonic music, but the main themes for Spyro 1, 2, 3 and AHT were awesome! (Actually, AHT probably has my favourite soundtrack out of all the Classic games!smilie)
---
#24 Posted: 19:17:46 07/12/2010
I also love the music. smilie i think that I'm the only one on here that actually likes the EtD music. I thought that it was memorable and fun. smilie
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
#25 Posted: 19:21:24 07/12/2010
I like the music in AHT pretty good as well. Everytime I go to both Dragonfly Falls and Sunken Ruins, I can't help but to get sunk into the music and how lush Dragonfly Falls is. Sunken Ruins had a somewhat mystic feeling to it. Never fails. smilie
#26 Posted: 19:28:22 07/12/2010
Quote: Faun
I also love the music. smilie i think that I'm the only one on here that actually likes the EtD music. I thought that it was memorable and fun. smilie

hehe you're not 8D I really like ETD's soundtrack, especially the speedways and those 2 track which were never used :0(Mid Flute and Andes)
and in general,I just love Spyro 1,2,3's soundtracks <3
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#27 Posted: 19:50:33 07/12/2010
ETD's soundtrack was probably one of the only good things about the game. When I listen to it now, I don't remember what levels any of the tracks were from, but they give me a similar nostalgic feeling to the classic Spyro music. That, and it just sounds cool. smilie I'm pretty sure I remember that Stewart Copeland did the ETD music as well as the original three.

I found the AHT music annoying, though. It stands out too much and gets stuck in my head way too easily, especially the second homeworld's music. smilie
#28 Posted: 19:53:02 07/12/2010
I liked the ETD music, but it wasn't necessarily memorable for me. I only really loved the home world music.
---
#29 Posted: 20:27:02 07/12/2010
Haha, I guess I'm not alone then! My favourite was Luau Island. It;s my favourite level in the game and may well be one of my favourite levels in the whole of original Spyro.
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#30 Posted: 20:45:14 07/12/2010
I loved ETD music! it was my favorite classic spyro soundtrack of all. IMO, it was the most fun to play with it made me happy! :)

Awsome, Faun! I absolutly love luau island and it's music it's awesome, My favorite track woul probably be the dragon realms music but Luau island's a close second!
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:47:34 07/12/2010 by BlackNight12
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#31 Posted: 21:12:03 07/12/2010
Ah, so much!

The music for one. Stewart Copeland is a genius! I don't care what anyone says, he did some incredible stuff in ETD! I'm only a little bummed that some of his music got cut from the regular versions of the first three.

I also loved the music from AHT. It was very cartoonish; like something you might hear in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, IMO. It also kept the bouncy, upbeat tone of Copeland's work and mixed the orchestration and vocals well with synth noises.

The characters were good looking and attractive, but for the most part (at least from what I can see) there is very little/no nasty art or fan fiction of them. Unlike some characters I could mention....

ANYWAAAY... The level designs were pretty awesome too. I loved what they did in AHT with Red's Lab; I'd like to see more tech oriented levels again. Oh, and Summer Forest is jsut beautiful! And don't even get me started on the skies of STD! Sunset colored clouds and stars, perfect! I also loved the Dream Weaver's Home and all the levels therein. With the floating castles, technicolor starry skies, waterfalls that fall forever, and shapeshifting enemies it really looks like a dream! I liked Cloud Number Nine of ETD for many of the same reasons. Heck I like any colorful, high-flying, floating-in-space location.
I also love big levels that lend themselves well to exploration. As many have said, Tree Tops is a good example.
Levels based off of the things fairytales are made of! THOSE are to die for! Good examples are Dream Weaver's and all its levels, Magic Crafters and all it's levels, Crystal Island, Cloud Number Nine, Charmed Ridge, there are other but I'm drawing a blank.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#32 Posted: 21:30:35 07/12/2010
I also like the music in ETD, too. One track I love, but was unused, was Mid Flute. I listen to it all the time. smilie
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#33 Posted: 21:32:04 07/12/2010
The Spyro games that were made between 1998 and 2000, are the Classic Spyro to me, and between 2001 and 2005 is the Original Spyro, that's my opinion.
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#34 Posted: 22:07:57 07/12/2010
Wow, yay! people who agree! I feel kinda happy now! ^_^
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#35 Posted: 22:16:02 07/12/2010
I liked the EtD and AHT music, too, though not nearly as much as the Insomniac three soundtracks (I love every song of those). smilie

And, uh, I've drawn some questionable AHT art, if not nasty. smilie What can I say? Teena was adorable and Red makes a pretty girl. smilie
#36 Posted: 22:19:32 07/12/2010
ETD's music was great. I love Luau Island, level and music smilie
"No problem. Saving pigs on vacation is what I was born to do...."

Also, I liked AHT's music too. It was pretty upbeat and cartoony, and I like that :3
---
#37 Posted: 00:00:01 08/12/2010
Personally, dirty art doesn't bother me. Just look at what Renaissance artists did! Besides, rule 34 is unavoidable.

Anyway, I loved what Moneybags said whenever you refused to pay him. My two favourite quotes are (may not be 100% accurate):
"You don't want to make this magician angry, or I might just turn you into a blue hedgehog."
"What are you saving up for, another sequel?"
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6266
#38 Posted: 01:25:44 08/12/2010
Glad to see some love given to classic fans. Seeing that I'm a fan of both LoS and the classics, I can easily talk about both. But the lack of classic topics made that rather difficult.

ETD had rather good music, then again just about all of the games did. It's a shame that ETD was so god-awful.

And those two Moneybags quotes were in fact great. Growing up with Sonic and being familiar with both Spyro and Sonic only made it better.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:26:57 08/12/2010 by CAV
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#39 Posted: 01:39:58 08/12/2010
This topic= Epic win.
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
#40 Posted: 05:16:22 08/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yaaaay! I think I love you. :D

Well...what about the classics shall we talk about here? It sounds like you've got the same problem with certain fans that I do (namely that they can't stop beating you over the head with a certain irrelevant couple). That being said, do you have a favorite ship (or ships or lack thereof) from the classic games?

Myself, I'm an avid crack shipper, so I'll pair up just about anyone from the games for a lark (Elora/any girl, Sheila/Bentley, Spyro/nobody, etc.). But I admit to a fondness for Elora/Spyro since it was pretty much the first instance of even a hint of romance I had ever seen in a video game at that time (also: interspecies relationships ftw! :D).

Oh, and to clear up potential confusion, how are you defining "classic" Spyro for this topic? Do you mean the Insomniac trilogy only or everything up to the end of Shadow Legacy?

Probably the insomniac games + ETD. To me, ETD is part of the classics, because it somewhat has the same feel as them. AHT doesn't feel like a classic Spyro game at all, besides the gameplay.

Quote: sonicbrawler182
Heheh, I was about to make a topic like this! Looks like you beat me to it!^_^'

Anyway, anyone have a certain moment in the Classics that they were awe-struck by? For me, it's the Long Glide in Spyro 2. So peaceful! In fact, I loved Autumn Plains as a whole!:)

That was my fave glide in the whole game. :3
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:18:58 08/12/2010 by DarkCynder_543
#41 Posted: 07:57:23 08/12/2010
Ah, that glide! It was just..... Amazing. With the music and the scenery, PS1 graphics or not..... Just bliss.
---
#42 Posted: 12:33:10 08/12/2010
I know, right? PS1 Spyro games certainly are ahead of their time, graphics-wise!
---
#43 Posted: 12:49:18 08/12/2010
I liked that glide too. smilie It was so peaceful.
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
#44 Posted: 12:55:48 08/12/2010
I really would love to see the Insomniac games given a graphical upgrade for the modern times. It wouldn't take much and it would be so neat. I personally don't have a problem with the graphics (PS1 Spyro looks the same to me as DotD in terms of graphical quality), but it seems to be a thing most gamers make a giant fuss over, so it'd be cool to see it upgraded.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#45 Posted: 16:25:35 08/12/2010
I can't really be bothered to play any of the Classic Spyro games anymore, I've played them for SO LONG now, it's just getting boring now, tried to play the other Spyro games like 'Season of Ice' 'Enter the Dragonfly' 'A Hero's Tail' 'The Legend of GOONRO' and they all just annoy me. I want something different now, I still like Spyro as a character, but that's it now.
#46 Posted: 18:34:40 08/12/2010
I'd love to see the classic games updated, more than a new game, if I'm honest. I could play the classic games over and over again and never get bored of them!
---
#47 Posted: 06:01:54 09/12/2010 | Topic Creator
A remake would be nice. I would love to see the classics remade with the awesome graphics we have today. But what I really want is a ETD remake. A finished storyline (with Gnasty, who was suppose to be in the game), more homeworlds, return of Elora and possibly YOTD characters, more dragonflies and gems and more levels with grater difficulty.
---
iSO Emerald Sparx Gems: 3143
#48 Posted: 07:38:51 09/12/2010
Classic Spyro thread! :o Yayz!

I'm fascinated by most of the music from the first three games, even though they have a notable pause at the end of the track. In fact, when I listened to the "Dark Hallows" music from Spyro 1 in YouTube around 2008 - I hit nostalgia! The dark, but upbeat song encouraging me to explore the level - heartwarming. It made me wonder how Spyro is doing in this generation.

Another thing is more than the levels, it's the atmosphere. It was a believable place to visit and explore at the time. Such little things want us to know more than what it appears first. The landscape, the characters, the sky, the objects...those little things, a bit more realistic, but still retained it's innocent cartoony-ness.

@Razz: You should definitely repost some of the e-mails regarding the development of the first three Spyro games. Who knows what the classic fans have missed, or would like to rediscover the facts over again, including me!
#49 Posted: 16:32:36 09/12/2010
On the topic of music, sometimes if you spend long enough in a level in Spyro 1, the track will actually change! Happened to me at least 4 times!smilie
---
#50 Posted: 16:36:38 09/12/2010
I would also love remakes of the classics. EtD could be an awesome game if it were finished with a better storyline and levels. Also, any game that has Elora in it would automatically be an epic win.
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me