Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Is there anything you don't like about Classic Spyro?
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4
Is there anything you don't like about Classic Spyro? [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#101 Posted: 10:00:49 06/12/2010 | Topic Creator
"WHAT ABOUT GNASTY GNORC!?"smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#102 Posted: 10:23:52 06/12/2010
I actually have always liked his original voice. I like Tom Kenny more, but that first guy (whose name I always forget) is probably my second favorite voice for the purple dude. Heck, I even did some ancient fan comics (now lost to time) inspired entirely by the fact that his first voice was also the Taco Bell dog. smilie
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#103 Posted: 10:38:21 06/12/2010
I loved the first voice-over, thought it was funky, lol, and cute. Tom Kenny made Spyro sound a little older, and slightly more mature. I think his first name was Carlos, can't remember the second name, who voiced Spyro 1.
#104 Posted: 11:06:57 06/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I love all of Spyro's voices(well....I LIKE AHT Spyro). His first voiceover, had some really funny, meme-worthy lines.
"WHERE'S GNASTY, I'LL TORCH HIM!"

I've actually thought about making an LoS parody series on YouTube, and voicing him like his Spyro 1 voice!smilie
---
#105 Posted: 11:18:24 06/12/2010
So am I the only person who's noticed that the gripes folks have with the old games are pretty small when compared with the newer games?

Thus far, everyone has a little bit that bugs them, but on the whole folks here seem to really like the old games despite their flaws.
#106 Posted: 11:54:15 06/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I love both Classic and TLoS despite their flaws. I can think of big enough flaws for both(in fact, I can pick more things I don't like for Classic Spyro), but I like them equally. Classic does some things better than TLoS and vice versa.
---
#107 Posted: 12:53:41 06/12/2010
In my opinion, the first three Spyro games are really fun, there are some flaws that could have been improved on, ETD and AHT are both rubbish, I used to like AHT, but it all just seems to be challenged based, and you're just forever collecting boring collectibles. I didn't mind the collectibles in the first three games, they actually helped you in the game, which was interesting. AHT is like Crash Bash to me. TLOS just gets on my nerves.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#108 Posted: 14:52:32 06/12/2010
Quote: Razz
So am I the only person who's noticed that the gripes folks have with the old games are pretty small when compared with the newer games?

Thus far, everyone has a little bit that bugs them, but on the whole folks here seem to really like the old games despite their flaws.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I guess this is why the older games are so much more popular compared to the newer games smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#109 Posted: 16:48:25 06/12/2010
I couldn't figure out emulation well enough to get my 360 controller to work with anything. Got any tips?

Make sure you have the right drivers for the emulator, otherwise it won't find the controller
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
#110 Posted: 16:59:49 06/12/2010
Currently, I've got an Xbox 360 controller that pretty much just works with my Steam games and that's it (though I did use it as a mouse for a while). I sort of almost figured out how to get my DS emulator to work and never sorted out how to get the PS1 emulator working.
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#111 Posted: 17:03:19 06/12/2010
The PS1 emulator is a pain, you need 100000000000 drivers to get it to work and sometimes you'll get the wrong drivers and nothing works(curse). You might have to look on the ePSXe site to see how to get a controller to work, I only know how to get the keyboard to work
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
#112 Posted: 18:06:32 06/12/2010 | Topic Creator
All this talk about emulators has got me thinking...

Is there an emulator for the Zeebo? I MUST INVESTIGATE!!
---
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#113 Posted: 19:19:17 06/12/2010
Quote: torok
Quote: Gwenio
Skate/snow boarding. Enough said.

Spyro snow boarded?

Yeah, in the Super Bonus World of YotD.
Am I really the only one who liked the skateboarding? D:

Quote: Spyroo

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I guess this is why the older games are so much more popular compared to the newer games smilie

Yeah, and why Spyro is pretty much forgotten nowadays. It's funny that whenever I ask someone about Spyro, they think of the original three. "The first three were amazing, but they started to suck after the PS1" or "They still make Spyro games? Really?" smilie
#114 Posted: 19:27:55 06/12/2010 | Topic Creator
When I was drawing Spyro, some guys in my class recognized him, and one of them said:
"Oh, I ******* love Spyro. The only one I played was Enter the Dragonfly, but I want to play the others."

My face was just likesmilie_O

Funny thing was, I was drawing DotD Spyro, yet they still recognized him!smilie

Also, when I was drawing DotD Cynder while in the green room for a musical, someone recognized her and said:
"Is that the lady dragon from Spyro? I forget her name though..."
Another guy thought I was drawing a Sonic character, and another guy thought I was drawing a Pokemon....OH, I just had a brilliant idea for a drawing!smilie
---
Faun Yellow Sparx Gems: 1291
#115 Posted: 19:33:34 06/12/2010
Emulators annoy me. They're great, but My PS3 controller only worked for one day and the next time I tried to use it with the emulator, It didn't work, no matter what I tried. smilie I'm just going to get a USB controller or something. It's a lot less effort.
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#116 Posted: 19:33:50 06/12/2010
Quote: Stormy
Quote: torok
Quote: Gwenio
Skate/snow boarding. Enough said.

Spyro snow boarded?

Yeah, in the Super Bonus World of YotD.
Am I really the only one who liked the skateboarding? D:

Quote: Spyroo

Yeah, and why Spyro is pretty much forgotten nowadays. It's funny that whenever I ask someone about Spyro, they think of the original three. "The first three were amazing, but they started to suck after the PS1" or "They still make Spyro games? Really?" smilie

I loved the skateboarding x3 especially going of those huge ramps and trying to preform all those tricks while in air :0

and lol its pretty much the same here,especially if I'm doodling something in school and some people come and go all :''ow is that Spyro?man,I love those ps1 games with him x3'' etc...
#117 Posted: 19:45:12 06/12/2010
Also a lover of the skateboarding, even though I usually hate those type of games!

And yeah, whenever I bring up Spyro at work, people usually say 'Oh I remember him. He was great on the PSX' or, like Stormy 'They still make Spyro games?' smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#118 Posted: 20:32:41 06/12/2010
Hmmm... I don't like how it becomes so empty and lonely in RR and Yotd. actually it does the same in EtD also.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#119 Posted: 20:43:38 06/12/2010
Honestly...I don't get these empty void complaints. Then again, the interaction with the characters felt empty the FIRST time around to me, anyway.
---
Eh.
#120 Posted: 20:46:30 06/12/2010
Imagine walking to say a store to pick up some things. and no one at all was anywhere to be seen. no other people, no cars and no one in the stores.

thats what it feels like. empty, loneliness...:(
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:47:10 06/12/2010 by BlackNight12
#121 Posted: 20:56:26 06/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Play Shadow of the Colossus, then you will know what a truly isolated game is like!:3
---
#122 Posted: 21:21:52 06/12/2010
Quote: BlackNight12
Imagine walking to say a store to pick up some things. and no one at all was anywhere to be seen. no other people, no cars and no one in the stores.

thats what it feels like. empty, loneliness...smilie

Sounds like heaven! That's why I always use self-service tills!
---
Eh.
#123 Posted: 21:24:02 06/12/2010
Oh, I see.xD

well, let me see what else don't I like... it's hard theres not much that I dislike about the old spyro series! :3
---
#124 Posted: 21:35:30 06/12/2010
No hover in Spyro 1 after playing the other two for days on end?
---
Eh.
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#125 Posted: 22:06:56 06/12/2010
People didn't like the Skateboarding?.. D: That was one of my most favorite parts of any of the Original Spyro games, and a leading reason why YotD is my favorite Original Spyro game.

As for things I disliked?.. I completely agree with BlackNight on the lonely part. After you completed the levels, they were just so lonely and.. gahh, I hated it. It gave me the loneliest feeling.. I've always hated that part about the Original Games. Some of the levels just gave me the heebie-jeebies in general as a little kid, and I don't know why. They still do! smilie Oh, a good example would be that swamp world (I forget it's name) in Midday Gardens. I absolutely hated it. The only reason I played through it was because I had to.
#126 Posted: 22:13:38 06/12/2010
Quote:
People didn't like the Skateboarding?.. D: That was one of my most favorite parts of any of the Original Spyro games, and a leading reason why YotD is my favorite Original Spyro game.

I know, I loved the skateboarding levels! me and my brother would play it for hours and hours... I think I want to play it now...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:13:58 06/12/2010 by BlackNight12
#127 Posted: 22:14:09 06/12/2010
I played Spyro 2 today, and I'm getting a sad feeling, I think I'm getting too old for it, but I like it, but should I be liking it for my age? I get confused, so I had to stop playing it, and I played Tomb Raider instead, I was a lot happier then.
#128 Posted: 22:15:47 06/12/2010
I know! Same here! I love the Enchanted Tower's Skateboarding. The music and design just all goes together so well, I can't get enough. Me and my friends always play it non-stop and try to beat eachother's records. smilie I've never gotten tired of it to this day.
#129 Posted: 22:19:13 06/12/2010
I havn't played it in ages... I might play it though, I loved it too much back then! We sucked at first and then we got real good after playing it for like two hours staight!xD
---
#130 Posted: 22:27:33 06/12/2010
I feel sad now, it is really weird, everytime I play Spyro, I feel like I am too old to play it, and then I feel like a loser. Does anyone else get the same feeling or am I weird?
#131 Posted: 22:30:06 06/12/2010
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
I feel sad now, it is really weird, everytime I play Spyro, I feel like I am too old to play it, and then I feel like a loser. Does anyone else get the same feeling or am I weird?

No, I don't. I won't ever be too old. I still love them and you should too, it doesn't matter how old you are. smilie

as long as you still have fun playing them you should keep on playing them no matter your age!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:30:58 06/12/2010 by BlackNight12
#132 Posted: 22:31:12 06/12/2010
Hmm, i don't think I've ever gotten that feeling. You're never too old for Spyro!
#133 Posted: 22:37:25 06/12/2010
Quote: Burning Gnorc
No hover in Spyro 1 after playing the other two for days on end?

This! smilie If I got back to Spyro 1 after playing the other two, I always forget you can't hover and drop down and die.
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#134 Posted: 23:26:25 06/12/2010
Yeah, that bugged me too.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#135 Posted: 00:00:27 07/12/2010
@First Post
Couldn't agree more. Nothing is perfect, and the people who think they can get away with ranting and labbeling people idiots who complain about the Original seris just because there's more original seris fans than TLOS fans annoy me.
Comic Relif- What's supposed to be funny in the original games just seems silly and stale to me.
No Challenge- There never seems to be any real challenge in these games. The only parts I couldn't get past was when the levels were desgined to make people get lost.
#136 Posted: 13:41:31 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
The biggest flaw of Classic Spyro for me may be hard to understand, but bear with me:

They aren't ageing very well. Or rather, you have to give them a couple of years to really enjoy them again. When I finished them as a kid, I did not want to go through them again, as they just were not fun once I finished them and knew all the level designs. That's probably why I stopped playing Spyro in the first place. Now, years later, I was able to play through them and enjoy it, but now...I think I should give them another couple of years.

And I don't get the same thing with Mario, Sonic or Crash, or even TLoS. Those games have a fun exploration and speedrunning element and what not, but Spyro only has an exploration element. The levels are boring to speedrun. And also, TLoS(and some Sonic games) have a a combat system that is fun to experiment with. Classic Spyro ONLY has exploration, and I won't be able to truly enjoy it again until I have forgotten the level designs. That's why I want to find my copy of Spyro 3 and re-buy AHT, as I have forgotten their level designs and what not. The same happened with Spyro 1 and 2, but I found them, and was able to relive the game, but now that I have beaten them again, they are not fun for more than 30 minutes.
---
#137 Posted: 13:44:44 07/12/2010
No, I get what you're saying. I just find more than exploration though, I find it an opportunity to theorise and analyse and extrapolise (hey, extrapolate didn't rhyme). Every run through for me is another opportunity to pick out the details I missed before and to further contemplate the jigsaw of the world!
---
Eh.
#138 Posted: 13:59:28 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I was mainly referring to gameplay, as it is the most important aspect to me. The story is always fun to theorise and analyse, but the gameplay is just a matter of playing through it, enjoying the hell out of it, get bored of it, give it a couple of years, and THEN enjoy it again. There is not much to experiment with in terms of gameplay, so you have to wait until you have forgotten the level design. Sure, there's a couple of glitches, but they are usually uninteresting or just show a lack of polish in some areas(Sunny Flight, Glimmer and Double Jump Bug come to mind).
---
#139 Posted: 14:04:19 07/12/2010
I wasn't referring to story either. I like to look at details as I'm playing through the levels. You can leam a surprising amount by just watching the emotions of an enemy as they die. :3
---
Eh.
#140 Posted: 14:06:00 07/12/2010
I'm with Burning Gnorc on this one. In terms of gameplay, I find that I have that problem with even my most cherished of gmaes; I can't instantly replay any of them and have to set them aside for a little while before I'm interested again. It's a satisfying thing for me, though, like finishing a favorite book for the umpteenth time. And I tend to find new things every time I play the old games, even though I've got the first two literally memorized.
#141 Posted: 14:13:04 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I find new things too, but they are not always good, partly the reason why I started this topic.:/
However, I do find good things too!smilie
---
#142 Posted: 14:29:58 07/12/2010
I must have gotten really lucky, because I have yet to hit a glitch or anything nasty like that in any of my Spyro games (except that one time AHT erased itself on me D: ). Heck, I didn't even hit any of the glitches in EtD (but it was still a horrible game to play).
#143 Posted: 14:47:20 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
By bad things, I don't neccesarily mean glitches, just flaws I did not notice as a kid. However, there are a lot of glitches, but there aren't many "intrusive" ones, just pointless things, like getting out of bounds. The only fun one I can remember was swimming in the air. Most glitches have to be searched for to find them.
---
#144 Posted: 19:44:05 07/12/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler182

And I don't get the same thing with Mario, Sonic or Crash, or even TLoS. Those games have a fun exploration and speedrunning element and what not, but Spyro only has an exploration element. The levels are boring to speedrun. And also, TLoS(and some Sonic games) have a a combat system that is fun to experiment with. Classic Spyro ONLY has exploration, and I won't be able to truly enjoy it again until I have forgotten the level designs.

Classic Spyro only has an exploration element? Since when?

If you were talking about the first game I'd agree with you, but Spyro 2 and 3 had a lot of varying gameplay beyond exploration in the minigames. Whereas TLoS doesn't really have either exploration or varying gameplay that I noticed.
#145 Posted: 19:50:49 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
The minigames are boring after like the first two tries, so they aren't exactly the games high point. I preferred exploring to minigames, and the exploring is good until you beat the game, then you have to give it a couple of years, and THEN it's fun again. Some minigames are boring full stop. :/
---
#146 Posted: 19:56:48 07/12/2010
The minigames are boring after like the first two tries, so they aren't exactly the games high point. I preferred exploring to minigames, and the exploring is good until you beat the game, then you have to give it a couple of years, and THEN it's fun again. Some minigames are boring full stop. :/

Yeah, I agree with you there that some of them were boring; I'm just pointing out that it's incorrect to say that exploration is the only thing to do in the game. =P I did find a lot of the minigames fun though, like the Speedways and the skateboarding. And the additional characters like Sheila, Sgt. Byrd, and even Sparx added a lot of different gameplay styles to YotD.

I also don't see how LoS is any more varying than the originals as you say since the levels are linear and there's very little variance in the combat gameplay. I always found myself wishing the levels would just end already; they felt so repetitive to me.
#147 Posted: 20:14:56 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I think I phrased it incorrectly.

What I mean is, Mario, Sonic, Crash and even TLoS can still be fun after you beat them, as they have levels that are good for speedrunning (Mario, Sonic, Crash) or have combat systems that are fun to experiment with (Some Sonic games, TLoS). But these games all have some sort of exploration element while first going through them, and although that goes away when you finish the game, you can still have fun by speedrunning or experimenting with combos and such.

However, with Classic Spyro, there is nothing like that. There are minigames you could improve your score in, but they usually just aren't fun enough for me to want to do that, and the only minigames that record your scores are speedways and skateboarding, if I remember correctly. And the levels are just not good speedrunnig material, and there is no experimentation involved with fighting in Classic Spyro, as most enemies are easy to kill.
---
#148 Posted: 20:16:30 07/12/2010
And the levels are just not good speedrunnig material.

Oh, you haven't discovered the joys of real glitches and in Spyro 2's case, double jump >D
---
#149 Posted: 20:24:45 07/12/2010
Oh, I didn't realize you were only talking about speedrunning. I've never done a speedrun, so I guess that doesn't apply to me. :P I think people who speedrun the classics do the game as a whole rather than individual levels, though.

And personally, I'd be much more interested in improving my scores in speedways and skateboarding levels than running through levels and beating up enemies as that bores me after a while. But of course, that's all up to individual preference. :)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:25:20 07/12/2010 by Stormy
#150 Posted: 20:54:23 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
@Spyroo: I HAVE discovered the glitches, including the double jump, but it's still not fun. And you want glitches? Play Sonic 06. Or any Sonic game. In fact, here's a cool glitch I just found on YouTube. (Actually, DotD is the best Spyro game for glitches):

@Stormy: Speedrunning isn't the only thing that let's me enjoy a game after 100% completion, it's just a good example. There are lots of little things that help me enjoy a game after completion. Classic Spyro just did not have anything like that for me. It's not even fun to muck about in! I always have to wait years for a Classic Spyro game to be fun again. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I made a topic about expressing negative aspects towards Classic Spyro, so I may as well contribute!

Also, just so people aren't getting the wrong idea, I don't think Classic Spyro instantly becomes a bad game after you complete it. I just think it loses the sense of awe you get while exploring and finding stuff for the first time. It goes from being "awesome" to just "pretty cool", if you get what I mean! smilie
---
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me