Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Is there anything you don't like about Classic Spyro?
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Is there anything you don't like about Classic Spyro? [CLOSED]
ClassicSpyroFan Green Sparx Gems: 458
#51 Posted: 22:04:38 01/12/2010
Misty Bog is the one level out of the entire game where I expect to die, this includes Gnasty's levels.
---
I use Arthur in MVC3, mad?
Send forth the hoards, Sir Arthur shall slay them.
Spyro 1 120% speed running record- 1 hour 58 minutes 2 seconds.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#52 Posted: 22:21:25 01/12/2010
Nope, that's not him. He's one of the hidden dragons in the level.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#53 Posted: 22:23:11 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Ok! I just had to post that!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#54 Posted: 22:27:33 01/12/2010
Do you mean the dragon that intends to tell Spyro a story?
---
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#55 Posted: 22:30:12 01/12/2010
Oh yes, that reminds me.

At least you want to root the dragons in LoS. In ETD/AHt they're sympathetic in a jerky way at most, and in the originals they're as much arseholes as the gnorcs they banished. When Spyro is the least sadistic of them all, you know the race is screwed up.
---
Eh.
#56 Posted: 22:34:59 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Heh, I love the way both Spyro universes are quite screwed up when you look closely!
---
#57 Posted: 22:41:54 01/12/2010
It's not the universe, just the dragons. I mean, it's not that you have to be pure and good and innocent to be endearing to the audience (I'd certainly root for those cheeky fauns in Magma Cone!), they're just borderline on outright cruel (especially with sheep. No wonder Toasty willingly worked for Gnasty, it was less risk to him). It does add a layer of complexity I guess, but it also has the problem of not really making the protagonists the protagonists, if you see what I mean.
---
Eh.
#58 Posted: 23:01:04 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I totally see what you mean. (I also love the fauns in Magma Cone!) I might look for this sort of stuff in the Sonic games....
---
#59 Posted: 00:20:21 02/12/2010
I actually didn't pick that up from the dragons in the first games. I thought the AHT elders were rather incompetent and Magnus was a bit creepy, but they didn't seem any worse than anyone else (especially when compared with the giant butt heads that Sgt. Byrd and Hunter had become o.O).

With the LoS dragons, though...eugh. The more we saw of them, the less I liked them. Talk about a bunch of fantasy bigots. Those dragons had a major entitlement and superiority complex (which wasn't helped by every other species licking their toes every time they showed up).

The Insomniac dragons didn't seem to be that jerk-ish to me. They were trapped in crystal the first time you talk to them and at least one of them was very concerned for the rest. There also seemed to be a lot more cooperation between the dragons and the other creatures (fairies, mostly, but also whatever the Ballonists were), and they seemed genuinely concerned about their young (which is more than can be said of anyone in AHT or LoS).
#60 Posted: 00:35:34 02/12/2010
-That video of Bubba only illustrated one of the many examples where dragons were being more than just jerks and going outright sadistic (the tough dragon in Dry Canyon who thinks of several ways to catch and eat some of the vultures and pretty much ALL the Spyro interviews ), and that example of a dragon being concerned doesn't exactly suggest that they're not bigots. In fact, outside of fairies and some crustaceans who "co-operate" by basically being used, they pretty much are bigots/supremists (sheep are a species too!). That said, they're also kinda justified in both series with the bigot thing; they're DRAGONS, I'm not going to deny that you don't want to cross a mad dragon.

-And...you're saying that no-one cared for their young in LoS? I can get why you'd say that in AHT (bar Nanny, obviously), but there weren't any young for there to be concernn about in LoS, any potential young were killed by Gaul before the Guardians could do anything!

-When I said jerky, I guess you could say that incompetant could also be used for that gap. I didn't find anyone that sympathetic in AHT save for the Turtle Mother, Teena and some green dude I can't remember the name of.
---
Eh.
#61 Posted: 00:53:48 02/12/2010
~ Given that the vultures actively try to kill you and other enemies in the games have caused a lot of problems, I don't really blame the dragons for being a bit over-the-top, especially the more "brutish" dragon species like the Peace Keepers (warrior class) and Beast Makers (a bit backwater). On the whole, most of the dragons in the first game seemed pretty nice but vague. Again, most of the other species we meet in the first game don't even talk, so it can be argued that they're food species (eating a hamburger doesn't make you a bigot, after all; and, for the record, no dragon has ever said anything mean about sheep or fodder animals, Spyro is the only one of them who seems to like to torch them), or enemies who attacked first. The other species that do cooperate with the dragons actually seem to be doing it of their own accord (the Balloonist is legitimately concerned fordragons and dragon eggs and the fairies really do seem to like you). Every single other species you run into in the games is either outright food or an enemy that threw the first punch. Though I will say it was pretty uncalled for that the dragons were making fun of Gnasty unprovoked (though, again, it is implied that he lives in the wastelands for a reason).

~ It could be argued a bit that dragons might be racist early on (Spyro's "goat" remark to Elora could be argued as a bigoted statement if you really want to look at it that way), but they seem to be very welcoming to new species. In RR, Gnorcs are even helping at Dragon Shores and YotD we see that the dragons have forged a friendship with the people of Avalar, going so far as to let Hunter and Zoe live with them. The end of the game also implies that relations with Avlar on the whole are open and have been since the second game, while much of YotD implies that the dragons worked in tandem with all the creatures of the Forgotten Realms before the Sorceress banished them.

~ In regards to LoS, I'm speaking specifically of what happened in the Temple in the opening scene. Ignitus had literally no reason to just grab one egg and the other Guardians (at least Volteer) could have helped to move one or two more. That particular story is so focused on being cliche, though, that it ignores some really basic things (like: when caring for the hope of your species, you should have a back-up plan in case of emergency and you shouldn't dump all your eggs in a place that's on the borders of a war zone). I've always been bothered by Ignitus just grabbing Spyro's egg (which had even been placed apart from the rest) and no others, and then he didn't bother to try and fight when he saw dragon children being murdered right in front of him. Given the desperate situation he was in at the time, he literally has no excuse for not defending those eggs with his life, but he instead chooses to cower and do nothing. And let's not talk about some of the things he and the other adults do to Spyro that really can be classified as child abuse. Just because he's a special dragon doesn't excuse that.

~ I'm with you about AHT. Most of the cast is really unrelateable and come off as being a bit cold. This is why that game is better played when you don't take any of it seriously at all. smilie
SpyroStar Blue Sparx Gems: 588
#62 Posted: 03:40:53 02/12/2010
Quote: Razz

~ I'm with you about AHT. Most of the cast is really unrelateable and come off as being a bit cold. This is why that game is better played when you don't take any of it seriously at all. smilie

that's how i felt about it. the very first time i played the game and hunter said something like, "the door behind you that i just opened" my first thought was wow, i remember when you were the goofy dumb one. i knew from then i couldn't take the other characters seriously.
---
Just coast with me.
"The secret is I'm angry all the time." - Pete Wentz
#63 Posted: 04:23:09 02/12/2010
I stopped the minute Sparx started talking about small dark holes. D: smilie
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#64 Posted: 05:58:06 02/12/2010
You were controlling Spyro with the D-pad? Why? I always used the control sticks. That was, in fact, one of the fancy innovations of the original Spyro: the fact that you weren't trapped in a grid-based movement set and could use the analogue stick to move him.

Oh god, Misty Bog frogs. D: I enjoy that level since the trees scared the crap out of me when I first saw them and it has one of my favorite dragons in the whole game in it, but those damn frogs! Oh, I hate them to this day. >(

I thought they were only fodders when I first played the game. When I went up to them, they attacked me, and I was like, "WTF KILLER FODDERS!!!111". xD
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#65 Posted: 06:18:53 02/12/2010
I use the D-Pad in all my Playstation games that allow it. For some reason it feels awkward to use the control stick with the Playstation controller. =/
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#66 Posted: 01:26:22 03/12/2010
Skate/snow boarding. Enough said.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#67 Posted: 01:26:52 03/12/2010
Quote: Gwenio

^This. I don't like those challenges much out of the Classic Spyro trilogy...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:27:11 03/12/2010 by Aura24
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#68 Posted: 01:28:31 03/12/2010
You were controlling Spyro with the D-pad? Why? I always used the control sticks.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah, I didn't have control sticks, I was using a REAALLY old PS1 controller
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
#69 Posted: 01:34:45 03/12/2010
Man, I'm sorry Apoc. That sounds like it was a miserable experience. I recommend finding the games again and playing them the way they were intended (with an analogue stick).
#70 Posted: 03:28:55 03/12/2010
I have to admit, hearing that people didn't like the skateboarding kind of surprises me. Those were always my favorite minigames; I'd always have competitions with my brother to see who could get the highest score.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#71 Posted: 03:35:37 03/12/2010
The sledding part in YoTD was a pain to accomplish.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#72 Posted: 03:42:22 03/12/2010
It was at first. I got so sick of hearing Hunter say "I think my tongue is frozen! You'd better not lose again!" smilie I enjoyed the challenge for the most part, though.
#73 Posted: 08:03:54 03/12/2010
I loathed the skateboarding/snowboarding bits. It's like racing games for me, only far more confusing, thus, even less fun. I'm a platformer and puzzler, not a skateboarder.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#74 Posted: 09:39:38 03/12/2010
I hate skateboarding games, they just bore me to death.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#75 Posted: 10:56:14 03/12/2010
Quote:
I never liked how the worlds in all three games became so depopulated after you played them, especially in RR and YotD. You'd start out meeting all these fun people and talking to them, but in the end, they were all gone. D: It made goofing around in the games after you were done with the story a rather depressing experience (getting those skill points was so loney D: ).

I though I was the only one who noticed that :'D

All-over: Sparx's voice annoyed me in the non-handhelds. D:<
Original trilogy: Levels could get repetitive or too difficult at times without a hint of what to do, levels were kind of short, skateboard controls, slipping, linear levels that just had mini-quests, unpopulated levels, EXTREME SKILL POINTS, disappearance of Elora and the Haunted Tombs Agent 9 challenge.
Handhelds: Lack of real diversity, difficulty of Agent 9 levels, dying right after finishing something and having to do it again, SEASON OF ICEsmilie. And for SL, a bit too much combat/glitches.
EtD: Glitches, not really interesting, style, lack of diversity. But IT'S NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE SAY!!! smilie (IMO...)
AHT: A few annoying glitches, cheesy moments and a few small problems. Disappearance of Shelia/Bianca
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:00:45 03/12/2010 by GamingMaster_76
#76 Posted: 12:55:28 03/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I like the Tony Hawk games, but they are the only skateboarding games I played properly and liked. Anything else just wasn't fun. The Spyro skateboarding was like the Tony Hawk style, but was far more generic and had a lot less tricks. Also, Spyro flaps his wings when he jumps, making jumps kind of floaty. It is an alright diversion, but the fact it was used so much and was made out as a big feature annoys me.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#77 Posted: 14:19:53 03/12/2010
It wasn't used that much, you only ever got a skateboard challenge about two or three times in the whole game.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#78 Posted: 14:56:37 03/12/2010
Yeah, the skateboarding in Spyro was hardly made out to be a big feature nor was it used much. It's just that some people enjoyed it.

And yeah, I hated re-visited levels when everyone disappeared from them too D:
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#79 Posted: 16:47:29 03/12/2010
Man, I'm sorry Apoc. That sounds like it was a miserable experience. I recommend finding the games again and playing them the way they were intended (with an analogue stick).

My experience was full of laughs tbh. I can do that, with a PS1 emulator and a 360 controller for the PC. I used to use the keyboard and that went really well. smilie
---
#80 Posted: 16:53:14 03/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Try playing Sonic Adventure DX or Sonic Heroes with a PC keypad! smilie
(Actually, I can still play really well with a keypad.)
---
#81 Posted: 16:55:06 03/12/2010
I played it with a keyboard
---
#82 Posted: 16:57:22 03/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Really? How was it?
---
#83 Posted: 17:00:22 03/12/2010
****e
---
#84 Posted: 17:05:05 03/12/2010 | Topic Creator
LOL, I am actually able to play pretty well, but that's because I am so used to Sonic games!smilie
---
#85 Posted: 17:08:13 03/12/2010
I've never really been a Sonic fan
---
#86 Posted: 23:34:19 03/12/2010
I couldn't figure out emulation well enough to get my 360 controller to work with anything. Got any tips?
#87 Posted: 23:51:45 03/12/2010 | Topic Creator
My brother got my PS3 controller working on his emulators. He used it mainly for PS1 ROMS.
---
#88 Posted: 00:17:53 04/12/2010
Now that would be even better!
#89 Posted: 00:20:39 04/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I could ask him how to do it if you want. He's in my room, playing Assasin's Creed: Brotherhood!
---
#90 Posted: 01:11:39 04/12/2010
I would like to know how that works, if it's not too much trouble. smilie
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#91 Posted: 01:30:31 06/12/2010
I am surprized no one said they didn't like the Sparx challenges from Year Of The Dragon, I had a terrible time in those levels everytime. :/
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
torok Platinum Sparx Gems: 6123
#92 Posted: 01:36:57 06/12/2010
Quote: Gwenio

Spyro snow boarded?
#93 Posted: 01:42:45 06/12/2010
Waugh, the Sparx levels! D: They get better the more you play them, but they still suck. I think I had done my best to forget them. smilie
TheBlackDragon Red Sparx Gems: 36
#94 Posted: 01:45:36 06/12/2010
Why do we dwell on the past ?
---
TheBlackDragon
Lila-the-dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 762
#95 Posted: 01:49:06 06/12/2010
What i dont like about the classic spyro? My cousin lost the first game, and i lost the third game!
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#96 Posted: 01:49:13 06/12/2010
I always tried to never enter Sparx levels, but if I wanted to get the highest percentage finished in the game, I would take forever in those levels. Thankfully those levels weren't in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:50:25 06/12/2010 by Kariana
#97 Posted: 04:02:28 06/12/2010
I never really found Sparx's levels to be much of a problem, I found that if you use strafe a lot and guerilla warfare (attack then run) you can survive most encounters with the huge waves of enemies. Besides that I would always save the fireball spreader for either bosses or rooms with massive amounts of enemies.
---
Ratchet Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#98 Posted: 07:24:43 06/12/2010
Theres plenty of things I dont like about the original spyro games, dispite being a big fan:
- Collecting ever single gem pisses off alot of people (not really me, because the game doesnt force you to do it to complete the game normally)
- Some minigames are not incredibly fun (again, not compolsory)
- The annoying glitches such as the speedway glitch in spyro 3 (there arnt many annoying glitches though)
- too easy (though I really don't mind that anyway cause these days I dont play Spyro for a challange but more to see how fast I can beat it or parts of it)
- Some music tracks were a bit generic (but most rocked)
- The Story in Spyro 1 is quite lame (but fixed in spyro 2 and 3)
- The controls in Spyro 1 arnt the best (again, fixed in spyro 2 and 3)
- Spyro 1 has quite repetative gameplay (again, fixed in spyro 2 and 3, and is what to expect from a 3d platformer anyway)
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#99 Posted: 07:36:48 06/12/2010
I hate the Sparx levels in YOTD... they were so annoying and boring. D:
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#100 Posted: 07:56:53 06/12/2010
spyros voice in the first one gaaaaahhhhhh.
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me