Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Where did the idea of TLoS come from?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Where did the idea of TLoS come from? [CLOSED]
waytodawn96 Green Sparx Gems: 399
#1 Posted: 20:40:40 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
It seems alot like the last airbender, but better in my opinion. does anybody know where activision came up with it?
---
Is it possable to go to bed dead and wake up alive???! smilie I'm Random and proud of it!
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#2 Posted: 20:42:12 01/12/2010
I'm pretty sure that Activision didn't own Spyro at the time that TLOS started.
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#3 Posted: 20:47:29 01/12/2010
It was Sierra who came up with it, and seems like a pretty straight forward thing to me, and thus required little to no effort of the creator's part.
Really though, It doesn't take much to come up with this: a young hero with no idea of his power or great destiny learns of his power and destiny and then uses his power to slay loads of powerful monsters and a big bad overly powered evil dude, and fulfils his destiny.
Is anyone else reminded of Harry Potter or Eragon?

As for the one-button melee a moron could come up with that, same goes for the multiple elements thing, especially when you consider that there have always been fire, ice and storm dragons, not to mention the fact that multiple breaths were used in Spyro before Sierra had a thing to do with it.

So yeah, asking how they 'came up with it' is a silly question IMO, given that everything about it has been done before, but about a thousand times better.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#4 Posted: 20:51:22 01/12/2010
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
It was Sierra who came up with it, and seems like a pretty straight forward thing to me, and thus required little to no effort of the creator's part.
Really though, It doesn't take much to come up with this: a young hero with no idea of his power or great destiny learns of his power and destiny and then uses his power to slay loads of powerful monsters and a big bad overly powered evil dude, and fulfils his destiny.

As for the one-button melee a moron could come up with that, same goes for the multiple elements thing, especially when you consider that there have always been fire, ice and storm dragons, not to mention the fact that multiple breaths were used in Spyro before Sierra had a thing to do with it.

So yeah, asking how they 'came up with it' is a silly question IMO, given that everything about it has been done before, but about a thousand times better.

LOL, FTW!
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#5 Posted: 21:00:09 01/12/2010
Dragonlance and AHT. Not even kidding.

The producers, Mike Graham and Chris Wilson, first joined the Spyro team on Shadow Legacy and they pretty much used that game and AHT as the templates for LoS. In a talk with fans, one of them also said that they got much of the ideas for the Guardians and their elemental powers from the Dragonlance novels.

Everything else is old-hat movie cliches, so it could be argued that the rest of it came from Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Gameplay wise, they pretty much just ripped off God of War and the Lord of the Rings games to an increasingly pathetic degree as the series went on.

Edit: Argh! Activision is Universal's gaming studio and Universal is the only company who has ever had the rights to the Spyro franchise.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:02:16 01/12/2010 by Razz
#6 Posted: 21:08:45 01/12/2010
WONDERFUL.
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#7 Posted: 21:11:19 01/12/2010
Let's not turn this into a topic about how little effort they threw into the game and how they sucked, please. I myself liked the storyline, but I didn't put much thought into where they got the ideas.
StartheDragon77 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1860
#8 Posted: 21:12:25 01/12/2010
Quote: Razz

The producers, Mike Graham and Chris Wilson, first joined the Spyro team on Shadow Legacy and they pretty much used that game and AHT as the templates for LoS. In a talk with fans, one of them also said that they got much of the ideas for the Guardians and their elemental powers from the Dragonlance novels.

Everything else is old-hat movie cliches, so it could be argued that the rest of it came from Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Gameplay wise, they pretty much just ripped off God of War and the Lord of the Rings games to an increasingly pathetic degree as the series went on.

Edit: Argh! Activision is Universal's gaming studio and Universal is the only company who has ever had the rights to the Spyro franchise.

You know everything rips off everything.
---
From the day of my birth I was destinend to conquer darkness with a powerful gem. This is my destiny for I am Star the green dragoness.
#9 Posted: 21:12:34 01/12/2010
Well let's not turn it into something that you want to base of your opinion on it in the first place with the storyline. Hypocrital much?
#10 Posted: 21:14:47 01/12/2010
I don't understand what you're saying, sorry, and I don't know if that was aimed at me or not..
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#11 Posted: 21:19:53 01/12/2010
Quote: Darby
Let's not turn this into a topic about how little effort they threw into the game and how they sucked, please. I myself liked the storyline, but I didn't put much thought into where they got the ideas.

^This. Yeah, let's not turn this topic into a LoS-sucked topic please.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#12 Posted: 21:30:46 01/12/2010
Quote:

There's a big difference between paying homage to something, being inspired by it while still putting effort into it, and actually ripping it off. Guess what LoS is? Just excusing plagiarism or poor story telling with that line is part of why so many things are second-rate knock-offs these days.

Getting ideas from Dragonlance (already an obvious rip off of the LotR novels and Dungeons and Dragons to start with) is sad but a little excusable. Ripping your entire plot and most of your character ideas from one of the most poorly received games in your own franchise (Shadow Legacy) is just pathetic and some of the laziest writing I have ever seen. Granted, the LoS team was so busy pumping all it's money into over-paid celebrity voice "talent" that they couldn't afford to hire actual writers and had the producers write the scripts, so make of that what you will.

And I'm not holding back unless the original poster on this topic asks me to. It was already compared to "The Last Airbender", one of the worst films ever made, in that opening post. The stage is set, dahlings.
#13 Posted: 21:32:30 01/12/2010
Aww, she called us darlings, how jolly.
#14 Posted: 21:36:10 01/12/2010
Quote:

There's a big difference between paying homage to something, being inspired by it while still putting effort into it, and actually ripping it off. Guess what LoS is? Just excusing plagiarism or poor story telling with that line is part of why so many things are second-rate knock-offs these days.

Getting ideas from Dragonlance (already an obvious rip off of the LotR novels and Dungeons and Dragons to start with) is sad but a little excusable. Ripping your entire plot and most of your character ideas from one of the most poorly received games in your own franchise (Shadow Legacy) is just pathetic and some of the laziest writing I have ever seen. Granted, the LoS team was so busy pumping all it's money into over-paid celebrity voice "talent" that they couldn't afford to hire actual writers and had the producers write the scripts, so make of that what you will.

And I'm not holding back unless the original poster on this topic asks me to. It was already compared to "The Last Airbender", one of the worst films ever made, in that opening post. The stage is set, dahlings.

^This!
---
#15 Posted: 21:38:07 01/12/2010
Quote:

^This!

^Bum!
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#16 Posted: 21:38:18 01/12/2010
Trouble is, it's hard not to say it's a rip off really, considering everything has been done a million times over, in a much better way.

For me, I just get the idea that they were too lazy to think up something creative, someone had an idea, and decided to put a famous brand name on it just to get it to sell.

Let's be honest - None of the LoS games would be anymore popular than Dragon Rage if they had gone without Spyro on the box.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#17 Posted: 21:48:18 01/12/2010
The first poster doesn't decide whether this topic turns bad or not. Whoever posts here does. Aura and I were simply saying we shouldn't turn this topic into another TLoS sucks topic. I don't see what's wrong with that. But do whatever you want. I have nothing else to say here.
StartheDragon77 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1860
#18 Posted: 21:56:32 01/12/2010
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

^This!

^Bum!

Once again no one see my point. *sigh* Whatever. But my opinion remains the same.
---
From the day of my birth I was destinend to conquer darkness with a powerful gem. This is my destiny for I am Star the green dragoness.
#19 Posted: 22:24:37 01/12/2010
Darby, you missed this in my comment:

Quote:
It was already compared to "The Last Airbender", one of the worst films ever made, in that opening post.

This is already a "LoS sucks" topic from the start. But, for the record, I was doing my best to be diplomatic in my very first post on this. Whether you like it or not, the producers/writers have stated that they got a lot of ideas from Dragonlance, which is a pretty bad sign from the start.
#20 Posted: 22:38:52 01/12/2010
I never denied that TLoS may have ripped anything off. smilie
And yes, I read that. I just didn't think it was fair to assume it's a LoS sucks topic from the first post simply because it was compared to The Last Airbender. That's all.
Oh, and when I first commented, I didn't have your post in mind. It wasn't really aimed at you, I don't want you to think it was. Just to clear that up.
#21 Posted: 00:23:25 02/12/2010
Ah, thanks for the clearing up. smilie I'm rather accustomed to folks thinking that everything I say is about how much LoS sucks since I'm usually the first/only one to say it in a topic. smilie

When it gets down to it, LoS has a few good points. But I'm just done trying to apologize for the elements in it that legitimately are bad. One of those elements really is the story, which is one of the most unoriginal, cliched things I've ever seen. In parts, that works to LoS's advantage, but on the whole, it comes off as the inferior product it is.
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#22 Posted: 19:05:34 02/12/2010

Harry Potter is nothing like TLoS you nogbert.
waytodawn96 Green Sparx Gems: 399
#23 Posted: 20:03:38 02/12/2010 | Topic Creator

That.......was.......EPIC!!!
---
Is it possable to go to bed dead and wake up alive???! smilie I'm Random and proud of it!
#24 Posted: 20:40:34 02/12/2010
Quote: Ice Dragoness

Don't call me names ratface. The are similar; both feature a young character living amoung people who aren't thier kind (Harry=muggles; Spyro=Dragonflies), both are destined to kill a really powerful magic user (Harry=Voldemort; Spyro=Male***), both are very powerful (Harry=magic; Spyro=all elements), both have a backstory of sorts which sets thier destinies in motion (Harry=Boy Who Lived; Spyro=Legendary Purple Dragon of Prophecy).

Get it?
---
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#25 Posted: 00:58:41 03/12/2010

Don't call me names ratface. The are similar; both feature a young character living amoung people who aren't thier kind (Harry=muggles; Spyro=Dragonflies), both are destined to kill a really powerful magic user (Harry=Voldemort; Spyro=Male***), both are very powerful (Harry=magic; Spyro=all elements), both have a backstory of sorts which sets thier destinies in motion (Harry=Boy Who Lived; Spyro=Legendary Purple Dragon of Prophecy).

Get it?

Your point?

If you simplify stories like that nearly all of them are the same as at least some other(s). Yes a unique one may be written occasionally, but as more is written that gets harder and there are fewer that make a good story left. Either find something very specific and unusual or do not say one thing copied another.

---

However Razz is correct that Dragonlance was an influence; specifically they said so after I pointed out to someone else on the official forum how dragons could have fear as a special ability. In the Dragonlance books all dragons instill magical fear in their (non-dragon) enemies, and that is where the idea for Cynder to have a fear element came from.

A Hero's Tail and A New Beginning began being developed around the same time. A Hero's Tail and Shadow Legacy were sort of like tests to see is some of their ideas would do well.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:04:12 03/12/2010 by Gwenio
#26 Posted: 01:25:14 03/12/2010
Where did you get your info about AHT and SL being developed along with ANB? From what I recall, AHT was nearly done when SL came into being and SL was done before they started ANB (since Mike and Chris were part of the SL team).

As for LoS taking from Harry Potter...I honestly don't see it. Both use a similar story base (prophesied hero saves world), but that's literally the only similarity I can think of. LoS takes a lot more from God of War, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings/generic fantasy than anything else.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#27 Posted: 01:26:22 03/12/2010
As for LoS taking from Harry Potter...I honestly don't see it. Both use a similar story base (prophesied hero saves world), but that's literally the only similarity I can think of. LoS takes a lot more from God of War, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings/generic fantasy than anything else.

Yeah I don't see the Harry Potter similarity neither. No resemblance whatsoever..
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#28 Posted: 01:29:32 03/12/2010
Where did you get your info about AHT and SL being developed along with ANB? From what I recall, AHT was nearly done when SL came into being and SL was done before they started ANB (since Mike and Chris were part of the SL team).

It was in that time frame (from the start of AHT to the release of SL, that is when work on planning it started at least); it came up at one point during the discussions.
#29 Posted: 01:33:37 03/12/2010
Ah, okay. It's been a few years, so my memory is rather fuzzy.
#30 Posted: 02:00:51 03/12/2010
IDK why, but it reminds me of HP...
---
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#31 Posted: 03:34:06 03/12/2010
LoS doesn't remind me of any one thing in particular; just a lot of fantasy cliches pasted together to make a story.

But anyway, I always kind of thought that LoS sort of evolved from Shadow Legacy. It's not a huge leap to get from one to the other: just add the generic hero's journey storyline and some "darkness" and you're all set.
#32 Posted: 08:05:10 03/12/2010
When I discovered the plot and cast of SL, I think I had a literal facepalm moment. If anything, LoS really is a direct rip of SL, just with anything that might be considered fun and whimsical surgically removed and replaced with "dark" and "edgy".
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#33 Posted: 10:28:03 03/12/2010
Quote: Ice Dragoness

Get it?

They are still compleatly different logfog.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#34 Posted: 13:11:13 03/12/2010
Here is my resmblances between Spyro and other things:

Original Triolgy: Mario, Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie(for obvious reasons).
AHT: Same as Original Trilogy.
SL: Zelda.... Spyro never talks and the game opens with Spyro sleeping, just like almost any Zelda game where you play as a child Link.
LoS: Not much, but it defintely resembles Lord of the Rings a bit, and somehow reminds me of Final Fantasy.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#35 Posted: 17:42:17 03/12/2010
An underdeveloped mind.

The end.
#36 Posted: 20:52:20 03/12/2010
Oh, funny!
smilie
---
#37 Posted: 03:34:45 04/12/2010
The part that especially reminded me of TLotR was in DotD, where you had to protect the catapault from the siege towers or whatever. Just the Dragon City level in general was especially similar to TLotR. Any war-like scenes instantly remind me of TLotR.
Phantom Platinum Sparx Gems: 5241
#38 Posted: 05:15:22 04/12/2010
One word: POT.
---
CAUTION!
Falling Chandeliers
#39 Posted: 12:09:03 04/12/2010
No, pot is how you come up with Sonic Colours!smilie

"I WAS SOOOOO HIGH DURING THAT GAME! THE COLOURS....THE COLOURS!"
---
Phantom Platinum Sparx Gems: 5241
#40 Posted: 15:47:09 04/12/2010
POT is what made LOS, LND, Disney sequels, Justin Bieber, and the song prettty green onions.
---
CAUTION!
Falling Chandeliers
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#41 Posted: 16:42:56 04/12/2010

I kind of always guessed thats were they got the legend games idea from from shadow legacy but, i didn't AHT to.
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#42 Posted: 17:30:28 04/12/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler182
No, pot is how you come up with Sonic Colours!smilie

"I WAS SOOOOO HIGH DURING THAT GAME! THE COLOURS....THE COLOURS!"

Hey, that may be plausible, but I still belive it's a good game.

Quote:
The part that especially reminded me of TLotR was in DotD, where you had to protect the catapault from the siege towers or whatever. Just the Dragon City level in general was especially similar to TLotR. Any war-like scenes instantly remind me of TLotR.

Same here.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:31:05 04/12/2010 by ignitusforever
#43 Posted: 17:44:16 04/12/2010
It is LSD not LOS.
#44 Posted: 17:58:29 04/12/2010
Sonic Colours is one of my favourite games ever!smilie
---
#45 Posted: 20:34:49 04/12/2010
@Sonicbrawler: I want iiiiiiiit D:
@SuperSpyroFan: Huh?
#46 Posted: 20:38:46 04/12/2010
LOL, I know!smilie
---
#47 Posted: 01:05:58 05/12/2010
For the record, speaking as someone who has done pot, you get way better ideas (that make a lot less sense) than LoS, and you may or may not remember them afterward. LoS is the product of laziness, so don't link it to something that has nothing to do with it (and which you have no understanding of).
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#48 Posted: 01:34:20 05/12/2010
Do you mean a lot more sense, or do you mean that they're just so crazy and insane that they're awesome?
---
Eh.
#49 Posted: 01:59:45 05/12/2010
More the latter than the former. smilie They're awesome ideas at the time, but if you remember most of them later, you're main thought is "What was I thinking?". smilie

(For the record, guys, don't do drugs. You will possibly remember doing some really stupid things, and if you don't, the people who were with you will and they take great pleasure in reminding you of them. smilie Or you will wind up in the ER and have a very un-fun few days after that.)
#50 Posted: 02:02:51 05/12/2010
I did pot last summer coz i was curious. I didn't even get high...
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me