Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Why Do You Think The Sequels To Spyro Games Aren't Numbered?
Page 1 of 1
Why Do You Think The Sequels To Spyro Games Aren't Numbered? [CLOSED]
SpyroGamer2008 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4203
#1 Posted: 21:43:12 29/11/2010 | Topic Creator
This is just a question that I thought about for a while, and am just curious to what you guys think about it. Why is it that after Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage/Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer, the third game Spyro: Year Of The Dragon isn't numbered? Shouldn't it be Spyro 3: Year Of The Dragon? And shouldn't the other games after Spyro: Year Of The Dragon follow suit? They numbered the 2nd Spyro Game. Why didn't they number the rest of them in the series? What do you think?

Side Note: Now, I know that The Legend Of Spyro games are completely different from the originals, and would most likely not be categorized under the same numbering with the original series. If this series was supposed to be numbered, it would probably be listed as this: The Legend Of Spyro: A New Beginning, The Legend Of Spyro 2: The Eternal Night, The Legend Of Spyro 3: Dawn Of The Dragon. However, I do believe that this series is possible to have no numbers at all in these games' titles, since they are all categorized as different since each title has "Legend Of Spyro" in it.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5243-6111
P.M. me if you want me to add you.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:45:07 29/11/2010 by SpyroGamer2008
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#2 Posted: 21:44:24 29/11/2010
I'm not sure, that's my answer.
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#3 Posted: 21:45:06 29/11/2010
I don't know, maybe they just liked them better without adding in numbers?
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#4 Posted: 21:47:26 29/11/2010
That's something I never really noticed nor thought about. o.o
Maybe it's because the first three games were intended to be a trilogy, so they numbered them: Spyro 1, Spyro 2, and Spyro 3. Maybe they hadn't intended there to be a fourth game, but since Spyro was doing so well they brought up a fourth, but it wasn't part of the original Trilogy, so they didn't number it? Gahh, I don't know!.. Buut, I guess that really doesn't answer your question. smilie
#5 Posted: 21:57:41 29/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: Darby
That's something I never really noticed nor thought about. o.o
Maybe it's because the first three games were intended to be a trilogy, so they numbered them: Spyro 1, Spyro 2, and Spyro 3. Maybe they hadn't intended there to be a fourth game, but since Spyro was doing so well they brought up a fourth, but it wasn't part of the original Trilogy, so they didn't number it? Gahh, I don't know!.. Buut, I guess that really doesn't answer your question. smilie

Well, the first game Insomniac made of the Spyro series didn't have a number, but that's understandable (since it was the first game of the Spyro series). Also, maybe at the time they were making Spyro 1, Insomniac didn't know that there were going to be sequels. But when they released Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage/Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer, they put a number on the game because it was the sequel to Spyro: The Dragon. But the third game (which a lot of people refer to Spyro 3) wasn't numbered. And that's where I got this question. If the first three Spyro games were to be seen as a trilogy, why not number the 3rd game? And why not number the rest of the games following the same story line of Spyro?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:58:09 29/11/2010 by SpyroGamer2008
minredd Blue Sparx Gems: 698
#6 Posted: 00:47:53 30/11/2010
The second usually tends to be "Whatever 2" and the third usually has some standalone title.
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#7 Posted: 01:04:20 30/11/2010
Like Super Mario Bros: Oh Dang, And You Thought There Wasn't A Recurring Villain.

Interesting Fact; Did you know that the third Mario game Americans saw was actually Super Mario Land? Tatanga now is equal to an evil malicious Sorceress who would think nothing of ripping off dragon wings. :3
---
Eh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:10:22 30/11/2010 by Burning Gnorc
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#8 Posted: 02:08:54 30/11/2010
most of the time the time its because its a spinoff but, maybe its because saying spyro 3,4,5 is kind of getting old.
SpyroStar Blue Sparx Gems: 588
#9 Posted: 04:18:36 30/11/2010
Quote: spyrocrash
most of the time the time its because its a spinoff but, maybe its because saying spyro 3,4,5 is kind of getting old.

that. or...

maybe they just forgot? (my first guess)

i forget my good sounding reason but um, i'll edit/recomment when/ if i remember.
---
Just coast with me.
"The secret is I'm angry all the time." - Pete Wentz
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#10 Posted: 05:21:36 30/11/2010
Quote: SpyroGamer2008
This is just a question that I thought about for a while, and am just curious to what you guys think about it. Why is it that after Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage/Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer, the third game Spyro: Year Of The Dragon isn't numbered? Shouldn't it be Spyro 3: Year Of The Dragon? And shouldn't the other games after Spyro: Year Of The Dragon follow suit? They numbered the 2nd Spyro Game. Why didn't they number the rest of them in the series? What do you think?

Side Note: Now, I know that The Legend Of Spyro games are completely different from the originals, and would most likely not be categorized under the same numbering with the original series. If this series was supposed to be numbered, it would probably be listed as this: The Legend Of Spyro: A New Beginning, The Legend Of Spyro 2: The Eternal Night, The Legend Of Spyro 3: Dawn Of The Dragon. However, I do believe that this series is possible to have no numbers at all in these games' titles, since they are all categorized as different since each title has "Legend Of Spyro" in it.

Actually, the American cover for Spyro 2 doesn't have the number two on it. Only the UK cover has that.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#11 Posted: 05:39:22 30/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Quote: SpyroGamer2008

Actually, the American cover for Spyro 2 doesn't have the number two on it. Only the UK cover has that.

It doesn't? I thought it did. Isn't the number 2 behind the title of this picture?

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:39:50 30/11/2010 by SpyroGamer2008
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#12 Posted: 07:18:52 30/11/2010
... Whops, I didn't see that 2 on there. My bad. xD
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#13 Posted: 09:44:51 30/11/2010
They are just mixing it up really. Sonic CD was the third Sonic game(not counting Master System versions of Sonic 1 and 2) yet Sonic 3 came out afterward. Sonic CD was going to be Sonic 2, but they changed that. Also Sonic & Knuckles isn't called Sonic 4, even though it follows on directly from Sonic 3(they were initially going to be the same game, but time constraints meant they had to rush Sonic 3. However, using the Sega "lock-on" feature, you can get the full game with extra features, called Sonic 3 & Knuckles). And we are only getting Sonic 4 now, in 2010.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#14 Posted: 17:08:14 30/11/2010
I used to wonder why YOTD had no number.... But I never wondered for too long. I was too lazy to think of a reason smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
SpyroStar Blue Sparx Gems: 588
#15 Posted: 22:57:22 30/11/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler182
They are just mixing it up really. Sonic CD was the third Sonic game(not counting Master System versions of Sonic 1 and 2) yet Sonic 3 came out afterward. Sonic CD was going to be Sonic 2, but they changed that. Also Sonic & Knuckles isn't called Sonic 4, even though it follows on directly from Sonic 3(they were initially going to be the same game, but time constraints meant they had to rush Sonic 3. However, using the Sega "lock-on" feature, you can get the full game with extra features, called Sonic 3 & Knuckles). And we are only getting Sonic 4 now, in 2010.

that was my good sounding reason. lol
---
Just coast with me.
"The secret is I'm angry all the time." - Pete Wentz
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#16 Posted: 22:59:03 30/11/2010
lol, that's a funny phrase!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
StartheDragon77 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1860
#17 Posted: 17:29:56 01/12/2010
Putting numbers in the title ruins it for me unless they need the numbers.
---
From the day of my birth I was destinend to conquer darkness with a powerful gem. This is my destiny for I am Star the green dragoness.
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#18 Posted: 23:48:37 01/12/2010
Since most of the people who played the games when they were first released were there since game 1, there probably wasn't any need to number them because everyone knew thier order.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me