Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Dark master [CLOSED]
Exhumor Green Sparx Gems: 147
#1 Posted: 16:36:24 03/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Who hates this big son of @#$@#. smilie
torok Platinum Sparx Gems: 6123
#2 Posted: 19:06:24 03/11/2010
i do... but i find him ok for an evil character.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#3 Posted: 22:52:27 03/11/2010
I'm gonna hazard a guess, you've only played ANB and don't know anything about TEN/DOTD?
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#4 Posted: 04:08:03 04/11/2010
Oh, me, meeee! They built him up so much and he was kind of menacing when he was dead, but when we finally saw him in DotD he was one of the lamest villains I've ever seen. And I want to slap whoever did that to Mark Hamil's voice. >(
DeathStar Yellow Sparx Gems: 1539
#5 Posted: 07:21:36 04/11/2010
His voice was alright. But he was way to easy, and they couldn't put the words of Cynder's past into clear words. That sucked.
---
"oh sweet sweet sounds of 80s synthesizers, alleviate me...."
Omikron Dragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2227
#6 Posted: 08:39:26 04/11/2010
Malefor?...oh please.
---
"Life is one long process of getting tired."- Samuel Butler
FireFlight99 Blue Sparx Gems: 942
#7 Posted: 12:54:32 04/11/2010
Quote: Razz
Oh, me, meeee! They built him up so much and he was kind of menacing when he was dead, but when we finally saw him in DotD he was one of the lamest villains I've ever seen. And I want to slap whoever did that to Mark Hamil's voice. >(

I completely agree.
---
Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies~Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, The Beatles.
Thunderdragon14 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8109
#8 Posted: 13:06:22 04/11/2010
Quote: Exhumor
Who hates this big son of @#$@#. smilie

dont go rampage on malefor smilie
---
Quote: Alydol
go back to whining about your fish
Cynderfyre Emerald Sparx Gems: 3813
#9 Posted: 17:05:16 04/11/2010
I loved Malefor in the images the Chronicler (I think) shows Spyro in TEN. In DotD... I don't know, just didn't seem sinister enough.
---
Sitan ali dinamitan
#10 Posted: 17:23:15 04/11/2010
I'm with you, Cynderfyre. He seemed pretty cool in TEN, but in DotD...ugh. My left sock is more menacing (and a more challenging boss fight smilie).
#11 Posted: 17:45:50 04/11/2010
It was nice to see his story develop in TEN, by looking at the iamges and seeing him quite young then older. When I look at those images, it doesn't make me think of DotD Malefor at all.

And he didn't quite seem evil-looking enough in DotD, his teeth and mouth were wierd. The DotD artwork of him doesn't seem evil enough either, just kinda angry looking.

I wonder what a boss fight with TEN Malefor, Spyro and Cynder would've looked like...
---
Sitan ali dinamitan
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#12 Posted: 17:47:35 04/11/2010
I was expecting Malefor to be an much more villanous character... to non-evil in this one.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#13 Posted: 19:45:36 04/11/2010
I didn't mind him in DotD. I think he made a good villain either way, but I still prefer him from ANB and TEN. He was so.. mysterious, and I liked the statue of him. That's how I assumed he'd look in DotD, but in DotD, he just looked plain wierd, and his teeth were all flat, reminding me of a turtle..
Omikron Dragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2227
#14 Posted: 19:56:04 04/11/2010
^He looked and SOUNDED plain weird. This completely destroyed his (like you said) mysterious aura.
---
"Life is one long process of getting tired."- Samuel Butler
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#15 Posted: 20:07:23 04/11/2010
smilie I forgot to add how wierd he sounded. He sounded like.. I can't even describe the oddness of his voice. If they just toned down the effects added to his voice, that may have made it way better. smilie

He just didn't seem to live up to that mysteriousness about him that was built up throughout ANB and TEN. I'm sure if the game wasn't rushed, they could have made Malefor what he was originally supposed to be.

To me, Malefor was like one of those huge, menacing, mysterious shadows on a wall, but you don't know what it really is in ANB and TEN, and in DotD, the shadow maker is revealed to just be an innocent little bunny smilie
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#16 Posted: 20:09:50 04/11/2010
He was a let down. I don't really hate him, but I don't like him much.
Let down #1:
WTF DM, no corrupt Cynder?!
#2:
Hey! HEY! I'm over here! No, OVER HERE! C'mon! Aim at me ya big galloot! I'm pounding on the back of your head and your firing ice missiles in the opposite direction!
#3:
Uh, sorry, what? Clear your throat, I can't understand you. You want a strepsil, or some water?
#4:
Why are we all still here? Why didn't you destroy the world, oh I dunno, THREE YEARS AGO?!
#5:
You summon the Golem right? Soo... did you have those guys free them and try to sacrifice them? If so, WHY?!
#6:
Sorry, I know it's not just you, but I don't get the whole civilised pre battle conversation with the villain thing. I mean really, if you want them dead so badly why not just lurk in the shadows high above them (grip the wall or something) and body slam them when they enter? Honestly, they're strong, but you'd crush em so easily like that! Just a simple jump, a loud boom and it's all over!
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#17 Posted: 20:09:57 04/11/2010
I didn't like it when he popped up after the Golem fight and announced the Destroyer to everyone, it just seemed to... public, if you get what I mean. I'd have prefered him appearing to just Spyro in some kind of vision, or better, no appearing at all at that point.
---
Sitan ali dinamitan
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#18 Posted: 20:14:00 04/11/2010
Well, it was a war. Opposing factions in a war do make public announcements to each other sometimes.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#19 Posted: 21:18:38 04/11/2010
No. No they don't. Not ever in the history of war has anyone ever done that. That's like painting a target on your head and saying "Hey, shoot me! I'm right here!". You have spies so you can find out what the enemy is doing because your enemy is smart enough not to tell you...

...unless your Malefor.

Granted, this is the genius who, instead of having his enemy killed in a thousand simpler, easier, more sure-fire ways, instead decided it was a brilliant idea to bring the enemy to him for no reason whatsoever. None. At all. He says when you meet him that he used Cynder to lead Spyro to him, but he never explains why. It's just plain stupid!
#20 Posted: 21:22:29 04/11/2010
Why have Spyro come to him? So he can defeat Malefor?! I like your Idea of him being a spirit, that would have made sense for him to want Spyro and Cynder with him.
---
#21 Posted: 21:26:23 04/11/2010
I was mainly referring to other fantasy stories. And in this day and age, we have internet broadcasting, so people at war could actually make a public announcement his way. And Malefor used a magic crystal to make his announcement.

Malefor wanted to inform Spyro of the truth about purple dragons. He probably wanted Spyro and Cynder to join him too. And he probably wanted Cynder for more reasons than one....*remembers DotD parody series episode 8*
---
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#22 Posted: 21:26:31 04/11/2010
In the eternal night he seemed to be a little more of a big deal. I actually think they made him seem a whole lot more menacing and darker. i would have liked to see Krome do the third part of the trilogy it they probably would have done him a ton better! and if i were him no way i would anounce all of my plans to the enemy. thats kinda...dumb.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:30:51 04/11/2010 by BlackNight12
#23 Posted: 21:39:19 04/11/2010
Well, the destroyer was coming out anyway, may as well rub it in the heroes' faces!

smilie I have a a giant behemoth, you have two little dragons, NEHNEHNEHNEHNEEEHNEH!
smilie smilie
---
#24 Posted: 21:43:14 04/11/2010
I highly recommend you read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War". It will end any willingness you have to make excuses for the world's dumbest villain (Malefor). Just because a bunch of other hack fantasy writers did it doesn't mean it isn't stupid. D&D is not a good guide for how to write a decent story.
#25 Posted: 22:03:29 04/11/2010
Dumbest Villain? Pfft, there are waaaay worse villains than Malefor. Ripto is worse IMO. I actually thought of a way they could make him a well developed villain in the next game (if he were in it). Malefor isn't special IMO, but has potential. He was the final boss, I was supposed to beat him, so he served his purpose well. That's all I cared about in regards to him. I was just saying that there was no negative consequence for him announcing his plans.
---
#26 Posted: 22:11:48 04/11/2010
I have to disagree. Ripto was set up as a goofy sort of villain (though I found him pretty menacing when he was threatening to kill people since I got the impression that he really meant it). His schemes made sense and he did his best not to get his hands dirty until the very end when he had no other options left. He was also a considerably tougher boss fight. Ripto is even frequently compared with Napoleon both in and out of the fandom (the fact that he's pretty much based on the man, only made kid-friendly, helps).

Contrast this with Malefor, who was built up to be a serious and evil villain but turns out to be generic and no challenge whatsoever. He goes out of his way to make life easy on his enemies and is reading from the comic book supervillain's handbook (and we all know how well those schemes work). And as far as him serving his purpose as a game boss, he didn't even do that. He was, in fact, a massive letdown for most players, especially since the boss fights in the two games before were a much greater and more interesting challenge than he could ever hope to be.
#27 Posted: 22:19:26 04/11/2010
The battles in the other games were WAY harder! on more then one ocassion i deemed Gaul invincable,lol. I am not a big Ripto fan but he did serve his purpose and lived up to the bad guy he was supposed to be opposed to the dark master who was not quite what he could have been.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:20:42 04/11/2010 by BlackNight12
#28 Posted: 22:31:07 04/11/2010
But even as a goofy villain, Ripto isn't great. He's got nothing on Dr.Eggman, who has also been adapted to be a pretty serious villain in some games, as well as Bowser. Ripto actually gets pretty grating to me. And he let's anger take over sometimes, causing him to make mistakes. I liked Red more.

Malefor did actually show a lot of merit, messing with the heroes' heads and what not. He has the potential to be the next Sephiroth. They just need to use the character wisely. And maybe make the series less about a huge war, and make Malefor feel more like a "personal" villain, if you know what I mean.

Maybe he had the same opinion that Eggman had in Sonic Unleashed, lol! The games were released close to each other!

Malefor is actually hard in co-op. He has a significant health boost too.

And I think Ripto would of actually succeeded in creating Riptonia, if he just came into that world, showed off his leadership talents, showed he could make Avalar a better place, won the hearts of the Avalarians, and then take his leadership and rule democraticly!
---
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#29 Posted: 23:03:30 04/11/2010
I did a spit take when I saw someone compare a children's video game to The Art of War in terms of writing. I know that video games can have some nice plots, but come on!
---
Eh.
#30 Posted: 23:03:57 04/11/2010
Ah, but Ripto wasn't built up to be a god, so his mistakes are reasonable ones. Same with Red. You may not like them, but they at least don't aspire to be so much more than they are.

The only time Eggman ever struck me as a decent villain was when he was Dr. Robotnik in the Sonic SatAM. And I agree with that one Kefka cosplayer about Sephiroth: he's an overrated mama's boy. smilie

Yeah, but that's not much of a villain. I think he would've succeeded in creating Riptonia his way. The only reason he didn't was because of a certain purple dragon.
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#31 Posted: 23:12:28 04/11/2010

I agree. For someone they bulit up to be the master of darkness and suffering, he sure looks..average.
I also hated it that he was way to easy to fight once you figured out all his moves. I mean, the ENTIRE trilogy was based on Spyro fighting Malefor to the death to save the World, and the fight being easy enough for Fourth graders to beat is both a slap in the face and painfully anticlimatic.
#32 Posted: 23:14:24 04/11/2010
SatA Robotnik was LAME, not true to Dr Eggman at all. :/
---
Eh.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#33 Posted: 23:19:11 04/11/2010
Quote: ignitusforever

I agree. For someone they bulit up to be the master of darkness and suffering, he sure looks..average.
I also hated it that he was way to easy to fight once you figured out all his moves. I mean, the ENTIRE trilogy was based on Spyro fighting Malefor to the death to save the World, and the fight being easy enough for Fourth graders to beat is both a slap in the face and painfully anticlimatic.

Yesssss I agree! I was so disappointed with him.... I was honestly excited about him (for a long time, the only thing that really got me excited with the Legend games) and then we saw him. D:

The fight is only truly hard on co-op, as you're both losing HP instead of just one. But it was a letdown.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#34 Posted: 23:55:21 04/11/2010
I had mixed feelings about Malefor. The way you defeated him was SUCH an epic fail. I was really bummed. .-. But I loved his evil laugh. Awesomeness. I think Mark Halmin did a great job for Malefor, but it was hard to understand him because of the echos of his voice. I think they tried too hard when it comes to making him evil and "scary." And I was expecting a bit more while fighting him, and his back story confused me.

So I say he was OK, but Gnasty Gnorc pwns him by far.
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#35 Posted: 00:17:11 05/11/2010
...the world's dumbest villain (Malefor).

Actually, there are worse (or at least one that I know of).
#36 Posted: 00:21:52 05/11/2010
Quote: Gwenio

whom would that be Gwenio?
---
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#37 Posted: 00:36:50 05/11/2010
Quote: BlackNight12

whom would that be Gwenio?

I do not feel like giving names (it is a good game except for the main villain); however I will say what the villian did wrong. You meet him four times, and he never tries to kill you himself. The first time events prior to the cutscene with him leave your character too weak to stand up, and he merely threatens and kicks you. The second time you have show that you will continue and have a vital clue needed to complete your quest. He says the jourey ends here for you and walks off leaving two underlings to fight you. The third time might be exused because you are not alone; one of the most powerful good wizards is with you. The last time is like the second, only you are closer than ever and he leaves more minions. Also, when you get to the location for completing your mission there is no one to stop you, and he know where that was (he found out when you did by spying on you).

Storywise, the most unforgivable part about all this is what you are doing ends up helping him (which would have made him about average), but the ending dialog before the 'to be continued' says that he really thought you were going to do something that would have actually brought an end to him.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#38 Posted: 00:44:30 05/11/2010
I kinda do
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#39 Posted: 15:00:16 05/11/2010
None of that sounds familiar and I badly want to know who this villain is, Gwenio. PM me? smilie
Exhumor Green Sparx Gems: 147
#40 Posted: 16:19:32 05/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Well I know he was cooler looking in TEN, but his voice in DotD was so, so.... weird smilie
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#41 Posted: 16:20:27 05/11/2010
^ And hard to understand.
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
#42 Posted: 16:37:23 05/11/2010
There's a clip in the voice actor interview for DotD of Mark Hamil reading his lines as Malefor unedited and it's awesome. The garbling of his voice was just stupid on the part of the developers. I actually had to turn the subtitles on to figure out what he was saying! How lame is that?
Cynder_fan Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#43 Posted: 17:00:13 05/11/2010
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
He was a let down. I don't really hate him, but I don't like him much.
Let down #1:
WTF DM, no corrupt Cynder?!
#2:
Hey! HEY! I'm over here! No, OVER HERE! C'mon! Aim at me ya big galloot! I'm pounding on the back of your head and your firing ice missiles in the opposite direction!
#3:
Uh, sorry, what? Clear your throat, I can't understand you. You want a strepsil, or some water?
#4:
Why are we all still here? Why didn't you destroy the world, oh I dunno, THREE YEARS AGO?!
#5:
You summon the Golem right? Soo... did you have those guys free them and try to sacrifice them? If so, WHY?!
#6:
Sorry, I know it's not just you, but I don't get the whole civilised pre battle conversation with the villain thing. I mean really, if you want them dead so badly why not just lurk in the shadows high above them (grip the wall or something) and body slam them when they enter? Honestly, they're strong, but you'd crush em so easily like that! Just a simple jump, a loud boom and it's all over!

I agree to all the above..

Quote: Cynderfyre
I didn't like it when he popped up after the Golem fight and announced the Destroyer to everyone, it just seemed to... public, if you get what I mean. I'd have prefered him appearing to just Spyro in some kind of vision, or better, no appearing at all at that point.

Ummehh... I think I'd rather have him there...

No. No they don't. Not ever in the history of war has anyone ever done that. That's like painting a target on your head and saying "Hey, shoot me! I'm right here!". You have spies so you can find out what the enemy is doing because your enemy is smart enough not to tell you...

...unless your Malefor.

Granted, this is the genius who, instead of having his enemy killed in a thousand simpler, easier, more sure-fire ways, instead decided it was a brilliant idea to bring the enemy to him for no reason whatsoever. None. At all. He says when you meet him that he used Cynder to lead Spyro to him, but he never explains why. It's just plain stupid!

Now if I could change it, I'd make it atleast more intimidating, actually try to use corruption, make a reason why he say Cynder brought him there

Quote: sonicbrawler182
I was mainly referring to other fantasy stories. And in this day and age, we have internet broadcasting, so people at war could actually make a public announcement his way. And Malefor used a magic crystal to make his announcement.

Malefor wanted to inform Spyro of the truth about purple dragons. He probably wanted Spyro and Cynder to join him too. And he probably wanted Cynder for more reasons than one....*remembers DotD parody series episode 8*

You know, I based my main villian off of Malefor and I'm glad I made him better..... Knowing mine, he would have tortured/killed Spyro and kept Cynder XP

Well, the destroyer was coming out anyway, may as well rub it in the heroes' faces!

smilie I have a a giant behemoth, you have two little dragons, NEHNEHNEHNEHNEEEHNEH!
smilie smilie

smilie

I have to disagree. Ripto was set up as a goofy sort of villain (though I found him pretty menacing when he was threatening to kill people since I got the impression that he really meant it). His schemes made sense and he did his best not to get his hands dirty until the very end when he had no other options left. He was also a considerably tougher boss fight. Ripto is even frequently compared with Napoleon both in and out of the fandom (the fact that he's pretty much based on the man, only made kid-friendly, helps).

Contrast this with Malefor, who was built up to be a serious and evil villain but turns out to be generic and no challenge whatsoever. He goes out of his way to make life easy on his enemies and is reading from the comic book supervillain's handbook (and we all know how well those schemes work). And as far as him serving his purpose as a game boss, he didn't even do that. He was, in fact, a massive letdown for most players, especially since the boss fights in the two games before were a much greater and more interesting challenge than he could ever hope to be.

Ripto was awesome and worked... Now when he was brought back into the games... that's when he sucked..

But even as a goofy villain, Ripto isn't great. He's got nothing on Dr.Eggman, who has also been adapted to be a pretty serious villain in some games, as well as Bowser. Ripto actually gets pretty grating to me. And he let's anger take over sometimes, causing him to make mistakes. I liked Red more.

Malefor did actually show a lot of merit, messing with the heroes' heads and what not. He has the potential to be the next Sephiroth. They just need to use the character wisely. And maybe make the series less about a huge war, and make Malefor feel more like a "personal" villain, if you know what I mean.

Maybe he had the same opinion that Eggman had in Sonic Unleashed, lol! The games were released close to each other!

Malefor is actually hard in co-op. He has a significant health boost too.

And I think Ripto would of actually succeeded in creating Riptonia, if he just came into that world, showed off his leadership talents, showed he could make Avalar a better place, won the hearts of the Avalarians, and then take his leadership and rule democraticly!

*dictatorship. Like he'd let you vote for another person smilie

Ah, but Ripto wasn't built up to be a god, so his mistakes are reasonable ones. Same with Red. You may not like them, but they at least don't aspire to be so much more than they are.

The only time Eggman ever struck me as a decent villain was when he was Dr. Robotnik in the Sonic SatAM. And I agree with that one Kefka cosplayer about Sephiroth: he's an overrated mama's boy. smilie

Yeah, but that's not much of a villain. I think he would've succeeded in creating Riptonia his way. The only reason he didn't was because of a certain purple dragon.

Robotnic isn't a seriously bad villain, but SatAM Eggman was funny with SatAM sonic XP

"I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!" - Classic line to hear XP

Quote: Burning Gnorc
SatA Robotnik was LAME, not true to Dr Eggman at all. :/

Who cares? He was sometimes humorous to me

Really? Could you name them?
---
Local technician who comes up with rediculous ideas
#44 Posted: 17:19:07 05/11/2010
I care because the Robotnik in that series was one dimensional and uninteresting, whereas Eggman is amusing and deep.
---
Eh.
#45 Posted: 17:20:00 05/11/2010
Quote:
Robotnic isn't a seriously bad villain, but SatAM Eggman was funny with SatAM sonic XP

I gotta say it: I think you guys are mixing up the Sonic SatAM (real title: Sonic the Hedgehog) with The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. The SatAM is the one that had Princess Sally, the half-robot Bunnie Rabbot, and Dulcy the dragon. The Nostalgia Critic has a great review of both series (loooots of strong language; viewer beware).
#46 Posted: 19:28:45 05/11/2010
There's a clip in the voice actor interview for DotD of Mark Hamil reading his lines as Malefor unedited and it's awesome. The garbling of his voice was just stupid on the part of the developers. I actually had to turn the subtitles on to figure out what he was saying! How lame is that?

The first time i heard his voice i was like, jeeze if only i could recognize that he is indeed speaking english! if it were not for the subtitles to this day i would still be wondering, did he say" at last my guests have arrived" or "alas my geese have survived".smiliesmiliesmilie
---
#47 Posted: 20:03:18 05/11/2010

Yeah me too! Link to the vid PLEASE!
---
#48 Posted: 20:44:30 05/11/2010
Here it is.

Elijah Wood starts talking about Mark Hamil and you hear his voice clip around 2:10. We also find out that Wayne Brady is more amusing than Sparx and that Elijah Wood isn't acting during LoS, he's just being himself.
#49 Posted: 21:06:34 05/11/2010
Nice! If it were a little deeper, it'd be perfect.
---
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#50 Posted: 22:36:05 05/11/2010
Quote:

I gotta say it: I think you guys are mixing up the Sonic SatAM (real title: Sonic the Hedgehog) with The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. The SatAM is the one that had Princess Sally, the half-robot Bunnie Rabbot, and Dulcy the dragon. The Nostalgia Critic has a great review of both series (loooots of strong language; viewer beware).
I watched that review. I only wish he'd review Sonic Underground....
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me