Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 6 of 26 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 25 26
Both Old and New Fans [CLOSED]
ShadowDragon91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1427
#251 Posted: 04:00:44 24/10/2010
^I may be a both series fan but I'm starting to dislike the Originals because of how overrated they are becoming. Also, about the game Shadow Legacy, it looks like a good game but I wish it was for the PS2 instead of a DS. And about the MegaMan thing, I don't know.
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#252 Posted: 04:06:52 24/10/2010
I see your point about the Originals, though I try to not let fans change my opinions of things.

Shadow Legacy IS fun, but the darker atmosphere doesn't fit Original Spyro much, IMO. As I play it, I keep thinking 'This should've been LOS, not the Originals' because of it. smilie

And to further explain my MegaMan comment... What I'm trying to say is that doing both series, while it is the best course, will NEVER silence the haters, even when they're getting the series they want. They'll continue to bash the series they don't like even when no one is forcing them to play it. I was using MegaMan as an example ( also, I've noticed that fanbase is more mature, so imagine THIS fanbase in their situation...eek).
#253 Posted: 04:16:33 24/10/2010
Quote: IsisStormDragon
I see your point about the Originals, though I try to not let fans change my opinions of things.

Shadow Legacy IS fun, but the darker atmosphere doesn't fit Original Spyro much, IMO. As I play it, I keep thinking 'This should've been LOS, not the Originals' because of it. smilie

And to further explain my MegaMan comment... What I'm trying to say is that doing both series, while it is the best course, will NEVER silence the haters, even when they're getting the series they want. They'll continue to bash the series they don't like even when no one is forcing them to play it. I was using MegaMan as an example ( also, I've noticed that fanbase is more mature, so imagine THIS fanbase in their situation...eek).

^Agreed ^.^
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
#254 Posted: 04:20:50 24/10/2010
YAY I HAVE AGREEMENT!

Sorry. smilie Had to abuse the caps lock for a second.

On another note, I do tend to like underrated stuff more, like Pokemon Gen 3, X-Men: The Last Stand ( from my understanding, it was considered the worst of the trilogy), etc. smilie
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#255 Posted: 18:52:25 25/10/2010 | Topic Creator
And yet even though they don't like one side of the franchise, they still talk about it. Like they can't just ignore it.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#256 Posted: 19:25:30 25/10/2010
Given that LoS is pretty much the only thing modern that people could possibly discuss, they probably can't ignore it.
---
Eh.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#257 Posted: 21:50:37 25/10/2010
Burning Gnorc has the right of it. I'd love to find a place where I could just talk about the older Spyro games, but none exists. Anytime I post Insomniac-themed Spyro art, even, most of the discussion revolves around LoS. It's easier to ignore something when it isn't being shoved in your face all the time.
minredd Blue Sparx Gems: 698
#258 Posted: 23:08:54 25/10/2010
Spyro the Dragon was the first game I ever played(I was scared of the rumble in the controllers... I was young!)and I adored it. Especially skateboarding on a squid, that always gave me a good laugh.

I love LoS for the somewhat darker storyline. old Spyro is still fantastic, but it does kinda lack in plot. I couldn't take any of those villains seriously, but I found dark Cynder awfully believable. Imagine if they remade a darker version of Ripto's Rage with rewritten dialogue and redone graphics. How cool would that be?

Cloudtail is right(Warriors fan?), they're too different to be compared. One's bright happy land and the other is "This is WAR!" It's a big gap. Same character, completely different. It's hard to explain.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#259 Posted: 22:23:17 27/10/2010
I grew up with Classic Spyro and it got me into gaming. I started playing Crash Bandicoot, Mario, Sonic etc, after that. Zelda was the first mature, epic game I played and I loved it. I then started to play Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts etc, while still playing games like Mario and Sonic. But for some reason, I stopped playing Crash and Spyro. I don't know why though. I also stopped playing Spyro right before ANB was released. Because of this, I never realised LoS was a reboot. I also didn't realise it had a serious, deep storyline.

So one day, at the end of July, I found a case with some old PS1 games. Two of those games were Spyro 1 and Spyro 2. I decided to play through them. And I had a blast. So I said to myself,"why did I stop playing these games? There as good as Sonic!" So I started looking at YouTube videos of Spyro and reading some forums. It was then that I ran into LoS. I watched some gameplay of all 3 games and thought it looked interesting. Also, for some reason, when I seen Cynder, I instantly loved her design, aswell as the fact she brought in co-op in DotD. So about a week later, I decided to buy all three games. However, the shops didn't have ANB, so I settled for TEN on Wii and DotD on Xbox 360. There was a special offer on in the shop and because I got DotD, I got the game Red Faction: Guerilla for free.

I played TEN and DotD in order. I was a bit skeptical when I started TEN. I didn't understand the story and the gameplay felt weird seeing as I just played through Spyro 1 and 2. Also the game was one of the hardest games I played in recent times. But nevertheless, I still throughly enjoyed it, storywise and gameplay-wise.

Then I played through DotD. The game opened with a bang, which was awesome. The flying took a bit too get used to, but I loved it once I got the hang of it. The combat was a pretty good improvement over TEN. The graphics were jaw dropping. Storyline drew me in. And it was packed with even more memorable moments than TEN. Also, the co-op worked brilliantly. It quickly became one of my favourite games ever.

After that, I became a huge LoS fan, my love for the classic Spyro games was rekindled and Cynder became my favourite fictional character. I will hold as much nostalgia for LoS as I did for classic Spyro. I still haven't played ANB, but I plan to.

Sorry for the long post. Nobody is probably interested but oh well.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#260 Posted: 22:47:10 27/10/2010
You've just reminded me that I haven't given my Spyro bio. Woo, it's interesting. [/not]

I started with Spyro 2 in 1999 and played the heck out of it (it was my main present for my 8th birthday, my sister got CTR). Next year I got two copies of YotD for Christmas and played the heck out of the copy we kept. At this point, I'm wondering if we'll ever see Spyro's own home. The only two Spyro villains I know are Ripto and the Sorceress.

I didn't continue with Spyro until I got AHT for Christmas in 2004 and soon after got ETD along with CNK with some of my Christmas money. I got stuck trying to get to Crocovile Swamp, so only completed ETD for now, while Ripto and the Sorceress are still the only villains I know personally. I picked up a couple of other handheld Spyro games over the years (SoI and Fusion. I really need to track down SoF and Adventures), replayed AHT a bit, finally got to Crocovile Swamp, flukely managed to get through Dragonfly Falls and get to Coastal Ruins. This is the point I finally meet one Gnasty Gnorc, who I had heard mentions of but didn't know what his significance was, still. At this time, I was also beginning to investigate the Mario series thanks to the fact I had bought a Gamecube by this point. Previously, I had zero interest in Mario and his boring, tame friends. Get the LoS games over the sequential years too, but I didn't play much of them. I got to 2008, and decided to track down the 'missing' PS1 games at Gamestation. Fortunately, they got them all in over a couple of weeks, so the games I get are Crash 1, Crash 2, Crash Warped, Rayman and Spyro the Dragon. I finally find out about Spyro's home after nine years of curiosity, although Gnasty still can't top Ripto and the Sorceress in terms of interesting me. But hey, that turtle dude who keeps messing me up in Mario Party 5 looks vaguely interesting.

Skip to 2010...Sorry oldbie villains, you don't make good Yaoi. :<
---
Eh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:48:26 27/10/2010 by Burning Gnorc
#261 Posted: 14:04:25 28/10/2010
Interesting story! I have played every console Spyro game except ANB, and have played every handheld Spyro game except the mobile games and the handheld LoS games. Super Mario Bros on the NES was the first game I ever played. Then it was Sonic 1. Then Sonic 2. Then Spyro 1. After I played Spyro 1, I got my own Playstation for Christmas.(Apart from SMB, all the games I previously mentioned were played in a neighbours house. Also, I was only 3 years old. I was a gamer from a very young age!)
---
#262 Posted: 03:04:03 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Guys, we're talking about both Old and New Spyro here. Not just one side of the series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this topic is for fans who like both series to talk on.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#263 Posted: 05:11:01 29/10/2010
Can we be a part of the discussion of we like both series but not DotD? smilie
#264 Posted: 05:16:33 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Of course. As long as there is no flaming or disagreements we've heard before on other topics about either series that will cause Old vs New Spyro conflicts, it's fine. smilie
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:26:12 29/10/2010 by Aura24
#265 Posted: 05:45:16 29/10/2010
No worries of that from me. smilie I've already got two or three threads going for the rants. smilie
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#266 Posted: 07:28:21 29/10/2010
Quote: ShadowDragon91
^I agree. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but one not-so-good game doesn't ruin an entire series to me ( I'm looking at you tacked-on MegaMan Zero 4, epic you may be...).

Try telling that to the Original fans. Yet, however, they probably will not listen anyway.

It's the fact that DOTD is far overrated that bugs me. It's a rushed game, like ETD, yet it still seems to be the best TLOS game in the series. I just don't see why so many people love it so much....
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#267 Posted: 08:21:04 29/10/2010
YES.

I'd also like to know how it was that DotD alone turned a fairly reasonable and fun-loving fandom into a large group of snippy fans at best and outright creeps the rest of the time. The only fandom I know of that's actually worse than the Spyro fandom now is the Sonic fandom, and it didn't get like this until after DotD came out.

There are lots of nice classic Spyro fans, lots of nice general LoS fans, and lots of nice fans of the franchise as a whole, but I have yet to meet a DotD fan who can't go five minutes without beating everyone over the head with how great this game is supposed to be and Heaven help us if we try to explain why we don't agree.

To be brutally honest, while I wasn't overly fond of DotD from the start, I probably wouldn't have grown to hate it completely were it not for its horde of savage, nasty fans. You can only be openly harassed so many times before you just start to associate a game with its obnoxious fans who won't leave you alone for more than five minutes.
#268 Posted: 13:15:23 29/10/2010
I am a fan of both.
---
#269 Posted: 20:33:56 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
I wasn't concerned about the New Spyro when I first played ANB. It got me interested in the rest of the trilogy, and I wasn't bothered by the change in atmosphere or redesignation of the characters. Maybe because I like dragons in general.
---
#270 Posted: 20:39:13 29/10/2010
Same here. Also, I like action games like DMC, Tekken, etc. And LoS is one of the best 'brawler' games I've played.
---
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#271 Posted: 20:42:58 29/10/2010
When you've grown up with the characters though, it can take a while to adjust, as it did me. It's like taking everything you love and throwing it away.

I love dragons to pieces, but combat makes me sad smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#272 Posted: 20:49:50 29/10/2010
Having played Spyro since the first game was a demo, I knew going into it that ANB was nothing like the old ones and I was fine with that. I treated ANB and TEN like the completely different entities they are (after all, the only thing they have in common with the older games is that the title character happens to be named Spyro and is a purple dragon). And, honestly, I still like ANB and TEN for what they are. It's just DotD (which couldn't even be bothered to try being consistent with the other two games in the trilogy it's supposed to be a part of >( ).
#273 Posted: 20:58:35 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyroo

At least Spyro is using his claws for something. Dragons have claws for a reason, you know? One of those reasons are for combat.
---
#274 Posted: 21:00:16 29/10/2010
Quote: Aura24

At least Spyro is using his claws for something. Dragons have claws for a reason, you know? One of those reasons are for combat.

Yeah, but when you're used to platforming games..... It's not so easy. I still think they should do a mixture of both - After all, wings are for flying.... Not getting stuck behind a tree, rofl smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#275 Posted: 21:06:07 29/10/2010
I play all types of games, so LoS wasn't too drastic a change for me. I love it as a standalone series, just as I love classic Spyro!
---
#276 Posted: 21:12:31 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
In the classic games, Spyro only charged and flamed his enemies, used powerups, and even used machinery to take down obstacles.

In the LoS, the New Spyro also flamed and charged, and used machinery, but his attacks were expanded to allow tail whipping, using different breath attacks, and the use of his claw swipes. His attack methods were more draconic.

If there was such a Spyro game that blends both of the two Spyros' fighting mechanics, then I would definitely like to see how it will play out.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:13:58 29/10/2010 by Aura24
crazyspyrofan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1042
#277 Posted: 21:19:35 29/10/2010
Sometimes which series I play depends on what mood I'm in,usually I play the orginals for more comedic and the platform styles,but I like TLoS becuase of the fighting and it's more epic. TLoS had a better storyline then the orginals IMO,but orginals is better to play when your in a bad or unhappy mood.
---
"This twisted game needs to be reset,"-Solo Wing Pixy,Ace Combat Zero.
#278 Posted: 21:21:50 29/10/2010
Old Spyro was designed for platforming and you still had to use your brains a bit to defeat some enemies (isn't wasn't always as easy as just flaming/charging them).

LoS...not sure what it's designed for. The attacks look flashy, but it's the same button smash constantly with no variety. I honestly thought it was too much of a stretch that this pudgy little dragon was beating the ever-living-snot out of everything with his wee little body but his fire couldn't do a blessed thing to his enemies.

For the record, dragons have claws for the same reason birds do: to land when flying and to manipulate objects (usually food, but sometimes tools in the case of smarter species).
#279 Posted: 21:24:53 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Old Spyro's attacks were one-hit kills when charging and flaming. Of course, his games were platformers. smilie
---
#280 Posted: 21:28:31 29/10/2010
Quote: Razz
Old Spyro was designed for platforming and you still had to use your brains a bit to defeat some enemies (isn't wasn't always as easy as just flaming/charging them).

LoS...not sure what it's designed for. The attacks look flashy, but it's the same button smash constantly with no variety. I honestly thought it was too much of a stretch that this pudgy little dragon was beating the ever-living-snot out of everything with his wee little body but his fire couldn't do a blessed thing to his enemies.

For the record, dragons have claws for the same reason birds do: to land when flying and to manipulate objects (usually food, but sometimes tools in the case of smarter species).

True,but there are many differences between dragons and birds. I'm pretty sure dragons would defend themselfs with claws if they needed too.
---
#281 Posted: 21:34:11 29/10/2010

If there was such a Spyro game that blends both of the two Spyros' fighting mechanics, then I would definitely like to see how it will play out.

I actually believe they could very well do it, but it would take a bit more effort than most companies would be willing to give.
---
#282 Posted: 21:34:53 29/10/2010
It depends on the dragon. I'll conceded that LoSpyro has a bit of kitten in him and cats tend to scratch. Still, it always struck me as really goofy-looking and implausible that he was fighting with his little baby claws (that aren't even sharp) and itty bitty crocodile teeth (without even having the bite force of a baby crocodile).
#283 Posted: 21:37:19 29/10/2010
You got to remember he is a teenager in DOTD,I think by that time his claws and teeth could do some pretty good damage.
---
#284 Posted: 22:08:56 29/10/2010
Pfft, no he's not. They just changed the art style. He was frozen in time, which means you don't get to grow up. I don't buy the lame apologetics that DotD fans get into trying to explain that massive plot hole.
#285 Posted: 22:14:38 29/10/2010
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Quote: ShadowDragon91
^I agree. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but one not-so-good game doesn't ruin an entire series to me ( I'm looking at you tacked-on MegaMan Zero 4, epic you may be...).

Try telling that to the Original fans. Yet, however, they probably will not listen anyway.

It's the fact that DOTD is far overrated that bugs me. It's a rushed game, like ETD, yet it still seems to be the best TLOS game in the series. I just don't see why so many people love it so much....

I understand your point, DarkCynder_543, I kind of lost interest in the Spyro fandom because of all the fights about which Spyro series is better and so on. I liked DOTD but I kind started to dislike it because it caused the hatred for the TLOS series.
---
#286 Posted: 22:16:23 29/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Easy, guys, we're not talking about the negativity of one side of the franchise here.
---
#287 Posted: 22:46:24 29/10/2010
Pfft, no he's not. They just changed the art style. He was frozen in time, which means you don't get to grow up. I don't buy the lame apologetics that DotD fans get into trying to explain that massive plot hole.

According to the game designers, he was not meant to have grown older in the crystal, it was just a design difference - So you're right, he was the same age.
---
#288 Posted: 22:57:43 29/10/2010
Yay! Someone else read that interview! smilie
#289 Posted: 00:13:16 30/10/2010 | Topic Creator
In the next game, their appearance will probably change depending on the mystery game developer.
---
#290 Posted: 00:17:12 30/10/2010
I hope they just keep the teen look. We don't need another complete design change. Subtle differences are fine though. I won't make a big deal if there is a drastic change, I just rather they don't.
---
#291 Posted: 00:19:23 30/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Or they could change Spyro back into a small dragon again.
---
#292 Posted: 00:24:19 30/10/2010
I wouldn't mind seeing Spyro little again, though when all was said and done, he was still tiny in DotD compared to the other Dragons.

...Come to think of it, while I do like the 'teen' design, it does look kind of wonky... It might be best for them to either make him 'little' again or make him an adult already (*braces for flames*). It's just...he looks like he's in Limbo between those two things.

Unless Spyro is like Ask Ketchum from Pokemon. No matter what the game says....he's still ten years old.
#293 Posted: 00:27:24 30/10/2010

Even if your're right,he got bigger in size somehow. So you could assume he would have sharper claws and sharper teeth,I don't even think animals have to be that old to be able to hurt you,my cat accidently scratched me bad onced and he wasn't even full grown at the time.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:27:43 30/10/2010 by crazyspyrofan
#294 Posted: 00:27:27 30/10/2010 | Topic Creator
I wouldn't be surprised if they merged the Old Spyro design and the New Spyro's into one.
---
#295 Posted: 00:28:47 30/10/2010
YES.

I'd also like to know how it was that DotD alone turned a fairly reasonable and fun-loving fandom into a large group of snippy fans at best and outright creeps the rest of the time. The only fandom I know of that's actually worse than the Spyro fandom now is the Sonic fandom, and it didn't get like this until after DotD came out.

There are lots of nice classic Spyro fans, lots of nice general LoS fans, and lots of nice fans of the franchise as a whole, but I have yet to meet a DotD fan who can't go five minutes without beating everyone over the head with how great this game is supposed to be and Heaven help us if we try to explain why we don't agree.

To be brutally honest, while I wasn't overly fond of DotD from the start, I probably wouldn't have grown to hate it completely were it not for its horde of savage, nasty fans. You can only be openly harassed so many times before you just start to associate a game with its obnoxious fans who won't leave you alone for more than five minutes.

This. I just can't see how DOTD, a rushed game full of plotholes, can get liked by so many people, and is the game that caused such a peaceful fandom to turn into horrible, whiny fans.

The only answers I get when I ask is, "because you can fly". But that answer just makes me want to scream.....
---
#296 Posted: 00:28:58 30/10/2010
I wouldn't be surprised if they merged the Old Spyro design and the New Spyro's into one.

That would be pretty cool to see, imo.
---
#297 Posted: 00:30:35 30/10/2010 | Topic Creator

That would be pretty cool to see, imo.

The Spyro's horns would be a mix between Old and New Spyro's, he would still be purple, his eyes would be purple, but his orange ridge of spines from his head to his back would be a mixture as well.
---
#298 Posted: 00:32:41 30/10/2010

The image I get from that is Spyro's Shadow Legacy design with a TLOS Spyro's muzzle, wings, spikes/spine and tail blade, and the horns going further back a little.
---
#299 Posted: 00:34:22 30/10/2010 | Topic Creator
The mixture Spyro would probably have the charge attack, one-hit kill flame, and use machinery if necessary against obstacles like the Old Spyro would do. And use elemental attacks, and minimum combo melees like the New Spyro does.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:35:16 30/10/2010 by Aura24
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#300 Posted: 00:38:18 30/10/2010
I think of the classic Spyro's muzzle and crest, with a little red in them, horns the face forward when down but which are thick, yellow and ribbed like new's, new Spyro's wings, old Spyro's tail spike, and either Spyro's belly.
He would be funny and make wise cracks at the villains, be kind and polite to his friends, listen impatiently to the elders because he's just eager to get going, smart, easy going, determined... Anything else?
Also what Aura said.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
First | Previous | Page 6 of 26 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 25 26

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me