Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Let's Play a Game [CLOSED]
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#1 Posted: 00:00:22 24/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Remember when you could have a topic on the general board where a certain black/gray/blue/purple dragoness didn't get shoe-horned in? I'd like to have a topic like that again, so I'm starting a game in this thread.

The Rules

For one week (today until Saturday, October 30), don't mention Cynder in this thread.

Talk about anything else Spyro-related you'd like, but leave her out of it. If her name is even brought up or "SxC" appears anywhere in this thread (outside of this first post, of course), the game is over and the topic will be closed.

The Prize

If you guys can pull this off, I'll draw something nice featuring Cynder.

Okay, guys, do me proud! Ready....GO!
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#2 Posted: 00:22:27 24/10/2010
Why not. I think I'll enjoy a drawing from you especially Spyro related.

So speaking of which, does anyone at all take notice to the little doodads in the Origins of Spyro's games? For example in the background some of the buildings will have different flags on top of them. Each Flag was different each world, I don't have to the link to showcase them but I was wondering if anyone else stopped to take a look at them. I do every once in awhile just to see what they look like.
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
#3 Posted: 00:26:30 24/10/2010 | Topic Creator
I think I always vaguely knew that the flags were different but I didn't take much note of them individually. I was too busy having fun setting fire to every last piece of scenery that would burn. smilie
#4 Posted: 00:31:56 24/10/2010
It did nothing, but heck, it was fun nonetheless. But still there's a lot of this kind of stuff just hanging around that no one, or more precisely very few people take notice of. For example, Lofty Castle. . . The stars are below you when you look down. Pretty freaky if you ask me. Makes me think that if they ever decided to go back that kind of stuff will just blow some peoples minds. I know it through me for a loop. But its that kind of originality that makes these types of games more. . . enjoyable IMO.
---
My Gallery
#5 Posted: 00:39:29 24/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Wow, I hadn't known that about Lofty Castle, either! smilie Granted, I've got a good reason, but still. smilie

Even without seeing the little things, there's just a ton of amazing things in those Insomniac games in terms of environment, enemy, and level designs that are mind-blowingly awesome. I'd love to see a re-release of those first three games with updated graphics (like the God of War and Sly Cooper collections that are out now).
#6 Posted: 00:47:01 24/10/2010
Quote: Razz
Wow, I hadn't known that about Lofty Castle, either! smilie Granted, I've got a good reason, but still. smilie

Even without seeing the little things, there's just a ton of amazing things in those Insomniac games in terms of environment, enemy, and level designs that are mind-blowingly awesome. I'd love to see a re-release of those first three games with updated graphics (like the God of War and Sly Cooper collections that are out now).

Its never going to happen though. Even if they did, someone, something will screw up somewhere and some Spyrotard will find it and make a big deal out of it, and make a multiple post long rant about it and post it on a forum *ahem*me smilie [/lightly].

I hate to be that kind of fan, but The originals had such colorful variety to them that makes them just so. . . lovable. They were so unique that the only thing that was bad about them was that they were too easy. But still even the simple little things like burning plant life, or seeing multiple planets in the sky, or different viarety in colors in the sky just brought so much life into them.

Still this is not the say that LOS or the Predecessor Trilogy from Insomniacs games don't have the same potential. After all when it comes to these things, execution is key.
---
My Gallery
#7 Posted: 01:05:18 24/10/2010 | Topic Creator
I'll admit that I hesitate when I remember that the possible character model they might use for a graphic update to the classics is Gary. D:

What I'm really talking about, though, is the sort of collection where the content of the game is unchanged (as with the God of War and Sly collections), they just spiff up the graphics and all three games (with possibly some fun extras) are on one disc. I guess it would be more like Super Mario All-Stars.

And if you look at this from a perspective outside the fandom, it could be a series-saver. Most non-Spyro fans don't like the new games and the classics are still getting high review scores on their PSN releases. This sort of release would be an easy way for Activision to make money and it would potentially show them the validity of the older, less serious titles. It would also potentially save the whole franchise from its impending demise (because, let's face it, none of the new games have done for Activision what they were supposed to and that is usually a death sentence for any franchise; I'm honestly surprised that Spyro's Kingdom is still being worked on).
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#8 Posted: 01:08:20 24/10/2010
Meh, if they took leaves out of NSMBW's book, then a remake would turn out quite nicely IMO.

Not NSMBDS though, I didn't like that one.
---
Eh.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6147
#9 Posted: 01:12:56 24/10/2010
I can't believe that Activision is trying to hide the new Spyro game from us. They deleted Aura24's topic on the forums. They're so weird sometimes. And I think they should have had Krome make DotD too.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#10 Posted: 01:18:53 24/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Oh man. The mere thought of a Spyro re-make along the level of NSMBW is just... *drools* (I've been playing that a lot of late. smilie) And I liked the DS one, too, but I've been playing Mario since the 80s and am totally a fan of anything that resembles the classic platformers. smilie

re: Spyro's Kingdom
Honestly, I don't think Activision is hiding the info to be mean or anything. At this stage in the game, the project could still be cancelled. The reason they aren't announcing anything yet is because they aren't ready to and I think they want to minimize any leaks because that information is likely to change in the future anyway.

I totally agree about Krome. They were working on DotD back when it was still "The Darkest Hour". I think having them make it would have made the game tons better. It would have at least felt like it still belonged to its trilogy.
#11 Posted: 01:30:14 24/10/2010
Yeah, Activision could cancel the game at anytime. Even though they've been working on it for like two years, it would be hard work gone down the drain.

Most people think that DotD wouldn't be dark enough to be called the Darkest Hour, but if Krome made it, then it probably would. I wonder what Malefor would have looked like with Krome doing him. The storyline could have been different, but I doubt it. And isn't Dawn of the Dragon from Bruce Lee or something?
---
I draw stuff.
#12 Posted: 01:36:36 24/10/2010
Quote: Bolt
Yeah, Activision could cancel the game at anytime. Even though they've been working on it for like two years, it would be hard work gone down the drain.

Most people think that DotD wouldn't be dark enough to be called the Darkest Hour, but if Krome made it, then it probably would. I wonder what Malefor would have looked like with Krome doing him. The storyline could have been different, but I doubt it. And isn't Dawn of the Dragon from Bruce Lee or something?

That's "Kiss of the Dragon".

Anyway, a redux of the originals would fan-freaking-tastic, IMO. But, do you think that they should keep the orignal VA's and upgrade the sound, or get new VA's (or get Tom Kenny) and upgrade the sound?

Personally I go with the first one, the second one seems likely but eh, I'm not in the mood for a new VA for Spyro smilie .
---
My Gallery
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#13 Posted: 02:12:55 24/10/2010
I constantly wonder what DotD would have been like if Krome had made it. I absolutely love the cutscenes in TEN and ETD, so I always wonder what DotD cutscenes would have looked like. What happened to Krome anyway? What made them go downhill?
#14 Posted: 03:20:05 24/10/2010
No idea...
---
I draw stuff.
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#15 Posted: 03:50:43 24/10/2010
Guys, when we talk about Krome characters, we get too close to losing the game...

So... Do we have any Elora fans here? (lol, i've become obsessed with hersmilie) What does everyone here think of her?

And personally, I think that a remake of the old Spyro games would be supremely awesome smilie
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#16 Posted: 10:12:52 24/10/2010
YAY! A game! How fun!

OK, I think I'll take part. I changed my avatar especially for the game,

May I ask, am I the only one who liked AHT as much as the Insomniac games? IMO, it really expanded on the Original formula quite well. Storywise, it wasn't good at all(the only classic style game that had a good story was YotD, IMO) but the jokes and fourth wall breaking moments were really funny IMO. I also liked the Zelda style progression, and the light RPG elements. The new abilities kept things fresh too.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#17 Posted: 10:48:58 24/10/2010
It ended up growing on me in a big way, almost to the point of equaling the classics. I just like humourous whimsy, which the game gives in spades.
---
Eh.
#18 Posted: 11:56:50 24/10/2010
Yeah, me too. I probably like DotD more, but AHT was just real good fun! It was pretty long too. I liked playing as Hunter and Blink. Also, the soundtrack was great. I want to get it again, but I can't find it in any shops. smilie
---
#19 Posted: 12:28:09 24/10/2010
Nothing second-hand? That sort of surprises me, there's usually at least one copy available. Must be that new wave of love that the game is getting...
---
Eh.
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#20 Posted: 14:17:38 24/10/2010
Actually, AHT was my second favorite game, right after StD. I love the jokes and animation. And although I'll be flamed for saying this, I think Jesse Harnell (that's his name, right?) was better than Tom Kenny. Tom Kenny never sounded like Spyro to me.

I really love AHT, though. I play it all the time just for fun. And my mom always taunts me about an imbarassing topic about the game:

I <3 smilie
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
#21 Posted: 14:38:00 24/10/2010
Quote: Queen_Cynder
Guys, when we talk about Krome characters, we get too close to losing the game...

So... Do we have any Elora fans here? (lol, i've become obsessed with hersmilie) What does everyone here think of her?

And personally, I think that a remake of the old Spyro games would be supremely awesome smilie

If we were playing the game on that Elora topic.. we would have lost the game..

Quote: sonicbrawler182
YAY! A game! How fun!

OK, I think I'll take part. I changed my avatar especially for the game,

May I ask, am I the only one who liked AHT as much as the Insomniac games? IMO, it really expanded on the Original formula quite well. Storywise, it wasn't good at all(the only classic style game that had a good story was YotD, IMO) but the jokes and fourth wall breaking moments were really funny IMO. I also liked the Zelda style progression, and the light RPG elements. The new abilities kept things fresh too.

You aren't the only one. I love AHT! The story.. was okay (way better than ETD IMO)..
But yes, I foun the jokes amusing, and I loved Spyro in the game. I loved his personality, and I actually loved his voice. His sarcastic personality was so cute

Actually, AHT was my second favorite game, right after StD. I love the jokes and animation. And although I'll be flamed for saying this, I think Jesse Harnell (that's his name, right?) was better than Tom Kenny. Tom Kenny never sounded like Spyro to me.

I really love AHT, though. I play it all the time just for fun. And my mom always taunts me about an imbarassing topic about the game:

I <3 smilie

I don't see why you'd be flamed. It's just your opinion. I actually love Spyro's voice in AHT. It was so cute! And it really fit his sarcastic personality. I swear I used to have a kiddie crush on Spyro in AHT... smilie I also loved the facial expressions in the game. I don't know why.. And I loved the colorful world designs. The game was so happy. I want to go play the game now...
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#22 Posted: 14:42:49 24/10/2010
I actually loved AHT as much as the Insomniac games too. I didn't mind Spyro's voice (preferred Tom Kenny, but that wasn't so bad either). Deep down, I really loved being able to play as Flame or Ember, even if their voices didn't change smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#23 Posted: 14:53:10 24/10/2010
When I was younger, my friends and I, we'd play the game all day long, just trying to unlock Flame and Ember. We were so excited you could actually unlock two other dragon characters. smilie
I'm really hoping they're in the next game. That would be amazing.
#24 Posted: 15:01:58 24/10/2010
Not a fan of Harnell's Spyro, for some reason. He seemed a little too snarky for my liking.

The designs = <3, though, same with the exaggerated cartoony style. And I always play as Ember nowadays.
---
Eh.
#25 Posted: 16:22:20 24/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Haha! And here I thought I was the only person obsessed with Elora. smilie

Reaching back to the DotD topic, I thought it was inappropriately dark as it was, actually. There's a point in the game, at least for me, that hits this nasty depressing patch and it just never recovers from it. Sparx being gone is a lot of it, I think. As for the story being better if Krome had done it, it could have been since they already had a lot of the nitty-gritty parts of game-making out of the way and could have spent more time fleshing out the story.

As for AHT, yeah, I like it a lot, too. Not for it's gameplay or story, mind, but because the stuff between the lines is absolutely fantastic. smilie The music and atmosphere of the game was really good, to. Next to the Insomniac three, it's my favorite Spyro game.
Pyro-Spyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#26 Posted: 16:28:34 24/10/2010
Back to the earlier discussion, I've noticed that the flag in the Beast Maker's home world is silver with a white shield.. smilie

Then with the hidden things that are really creepy, in Lofty Castle when you're walking across those bridges with the Killer Cupids, if you look down there's an endless hole that kind of looks like a toilet bowl... IDK, it's always scared me! smilie
#27 Posted: 23:48:44 24/10/2010
In Ireland, it can be hard to find old games. It's not the best country for gamers!

I like all of Spyro's voice actors. Tom Kenny made him sound quite casual (except in ETD. Didn't like him there.) Jesse Harnell made him sound spunky and goofy. (Now that I think about it, he kind of makes Spyro sound similar to Zidane in Dissidia: Final Fantasy.) Elijah Wood was great and really made Spyro sound mature in DotD. In ANB and TEN, he gave him a child-like innocence.

One thing I find hilarious in AHT is that when your're running, Spyro looks like he is stoned!

I also love the joke about Spyro having ADD. They're literally telling us Spyro is mentally challenged. I also liked the jokes that were really close to being inappropriate, but never actually crossed the line!

Also, I noticed that I'm the only Red Sparx here! D:
---
#28 Posted: 00:07:33 25/10/2010
I was a red sparx up until yesterday.

I preferred the parodies. The whole Ball Gadget sequence was a highlight.
---
Eh.
#29 Posted: 00:37:16 25/10/2010
Yeah, agreed. Nintendo references FTW!
---
#30 Posted: 01:09:29 25/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote:
I also love the joke about Spyro having ADD. They're literally telling us Spyro is mentally challenged.

Hey! I resemble that remark! smilie (I've actually got ADD, just like Ben Franklin and Leonardo daVinci.)

I prefer the spunky, "jerk with a heart of gold" Spyro in the older games to the "kicked puppy" Spyro of LoS. Wood did a passable job, but he's only ever played the one role (kicked puppy/victimized hero type) and that's the same role he takes on for Spyro.

The parodies and jokes in AHT make it for me. smilie I love the not-so-subtle innuendo they throw in all the time. smilie
#31 Posted: 01:51:07 25/10/2010
Oh! I wasn't trying to be offensive, just thought that something like that being brought up in a Spyro game was really funny, that's all.

We all have our own opinions. I do realise you had an up-down experience with TLoS. I actually thought LoS Spyro was pretty spunky at times IMO. Like sometimes when he was talking to Sparx, Sniff and Scratch, and even "your one"!

I thought the TLoS story was well thought out and deep, and reminds me of Kingdom Hearts for some reason. But that's for another thread!

Yeah, the humour in AHT was great. I liked the way Spyro spoke to Gnasty and Ineptune casually, as if they were old friends. Reminds me of Family Guy. But I also loved the gameplay!
---
#32 Posted: 02:28:09 25/10/2010 | Topic Creator
I know you weren't. smilie I thought the ADD shout-out in AHT was pretty funny, too, if a little obvious (what's more fun is to recognize that Spyro has ADD without being told directly smilie).

I'm something of a voice acting nerd, so I'm pretty picky sometimes, I'll admit. And I do have my favorites (Cree Summer, Billy West, Tom Kenny, etc). smilie

*sits on hands to keep dissenting opinion to herself* smilie

The gameplay definitely has it's fun moments. smilie
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#33 Posted: 05:28:57 25/10/2010

So... Do we have any Elora fans here? (lol, i've become obsessed with herXD) What does everyone here think of her?

And personally, I think that a remake of the old Spyro games would be supremely awesome :D

I've always wanted a remake of the first three spyro games.... Seeing them in the graphics we have today, plus being a lot harder would be awesome. :3
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#34 Posted: 10:40:01 25/10/2010
I've recently become interested in voice acting myself, partly because I noticed that I'm good at it myself. Other people tell me I'm good too. It recently got me a solo line in one of the songs in a musical. I think most of the voice actors in all the Spyro games are really good. They always fit the part their given really well. Also, a little off-topic, but have you ever seen the different voice actors for Sonic characters? If so, what do you think of them?

While were on the topic of a Spyro remake, I once seen a relly cool picture on deviantArt. It was a screenshot from Spyro 1 edited to look like it was running on the DotD next-gen engine. It was super-special-awesome! smilie
---
#35 Posted: 16:34:33 25/10/2010 | Topic Creator
I've only heard the voices for the Sonic SatAM and that was a cast of people who went on to be famous even outside of VA circles (Tress MacNeil, Cree Summer, Kath Soucy, etc).

Oh yeah! That was by Artisteviolet, if I remember rightly.
#36 Posted: 17:53:03 25/10/2010
Yeah, that was the artists name, I believe.
---
#37 Posted: 17:33:44 27/10/2010 | Topic Creator
It's not much of a challenge if nobody's posting, so here's a bit of a bump.

What characters from older games would you have liked to see in LoS besides Hunter?

I think it would have been a lot cooler if the Dark Master had turned out to be the Sorceress, myself. And, of course, I would have loved to see Elora, Sheila, Bianca, and Zoe make an appearance.
#38 Posted: 17:39:14 27/10/2010
The Sorceress as the Dark Master? I don't see it myself because it'd be a case of doing the same mistake twice which, while it is often done with recurring villains, just does't seem to suit her or the severity of her mistake.
---
Eh.
#39 Posted: 18:13:16 27/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Ah, but you forget that LoS is a complete series reboot. This would be the Sorceress' first mistake in this universe. smilie

Basically, I'd envision her as being similar to Malefor only a lot more interesting (since she'd have at least one big cliche, being a male big bad, out of the way), and hopefully more competent (sorry Malefor fans, I thought he was a moron in DotD; he made a pretty menacing dead guy in TEN, though).
#40 Posted: 18:45:04 27/10/2010
Eh, but the weight of her last appearance would still hang on her shoulders.

Besides, I don't see what gender has to do with it. If anything, they'd treat her worse than they did Malefor; let's face it, the villainesses in the series don't exactly get great treatment, they either turn good before recurring so there are less villainesses in the first place (Bianca is the earliest example of this) or they get killed off and are never seen from again and have a pee-poor amount of fans (Woe is me, even when Red did his own repentance in SL, Ineptune was never the favoured baddie. smilie ).
---
Eh.
#41 Posted: 18:52:23 27/10/2010
I think Bianca could be some sort of alchemist or something. Also, it would have been cool if Flame and Ember were playable in DotD, allowing 4 player mode! Zoe could be someone for Sparx to get along with. Elora could be some sort of magical musician or something. I know, my ideas are pretty far fetched! smilie'
---
#42 Posted: 18:53:20 27/10/2010 | Topic Creator
It's not like we're ever going to see Malefor again, so I don't really see how the Sorceress being the baddie in his place makes much of a difference on that score.

As for female villains, it tends to open up more possibilities of evil when they're the big bad. You rarely see them in that role, which is a pity. Malefor being an evil male dragon was expected. If he'd been a female villain with that kind of ruthlessness we saw in the first two games, it would have taken a lot of people by surprise, I think. Plus, we'd at least get one other female in the LoS games, and a purple one at that. smilie

*sarcasm* Well, of course nobody's going to treat Ineptune nicely. She's ugly and fat. Anything that isn't gorgeous on sight is obviously evil. */sarcasm* smilie (Yet another failure on LoS' part for me; evil was always ugly and good was cool and pretty. At least in AHT, Red looked like every other dragon elder, and in the old games enemies ranged from grotesque to gorgeous, as did heroes.)
#43 Posted: 18:53:47 27/10/2010
4 player mode would only work online, nowadays. Nobody has the time for good old 4 player house bouts anymore.

Edit @ the Sorceress argument: I...guess, although it'd still mean that fem!Malefor would have had one game under her belt as being a confirmed female, thereby just adding to the pile of dead villainesses. At least he can lay claim to being the second dead male...although evil purple dragons always die too. :/

Red I can understand as a subversion to the rule (although your mileage may vary on how pretty the elders are...), but...when were the enemies in the old game ever gorgeous? The main villains (Gnasty, Ripto and the Sorceress, and I guess Grendor) were ugly as sin too, as well as the common enemies you fought, and anyone who was pretty (BIANCA AGAIN) quickly saw the light and turned good. And any good guys who didn't look so pretty? They were pretty much discarded after their one appearance, or made to be an arsehole. *coughMoneybagscough*

On the other hand, being ugly never stopped the males garnering a fanbase; Ripto's rather popular, as is Malefor, and Gnasty also has quite a fanbase too (as humourously noted on the Draco in Leather Pants article on TV Tropes). The less said about poor Mario and his tendency to be completely left in the cold when talking about fan crushes, the better...but this is a more fundamental hypocrisy discussion regarding the expected standards in regards to males against females, not just Spyro talk.
---
Eh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:06:38 27/10/2010 by Burning Gnorc
#44 Posted: 19:06:36 27/10/2010
Well, Malefor wasn't ugly IMO, just sinister looking and a bit badass. As for Gaul, well... he's an ape! And remember who was the villain in ANB? They were hardly ugly! smilie LOL
---
#45 Posted: 19:07:22 27/10/2010
Said villain did a heel face turn, that doesn't count.
---
Eh.
#46 Posted: 19:09:46 27/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Careful there, we're getting close to loosing the game.

Haha, I just noticed your icon, Burning Gnorc! That's awesome. smilie Is there a larger version of it anywhere?
#47 Posted: 19:16:27 27/10/2010
Personally, none of the villains make me cringe, not even the regular enemies. Although, you have to remember that the original trilogy was on PS1 with blocky graphics. Compare the Gnorcs there to the Gnorcs in AHT, and there is a huge difference in how ugly they are! Also, I think Spyro himself doesn't look too great in ETD. And in the PS1 trilogy, his eyebrows were rectangular and floated in front of his face!
---
#48 Posted: 19:16:37 27/10/2010
I noticed we were getting close, didn't want to drag it any further than the one sentence.

Large version of it is here. He's a friend of mine from SoA, really generous to those he likes. He even drew me some BDSM Vector/Espio in exchange for me doing a Sonamy doodle, and everyonne who knows him knows that he hates going into that sort of territory.

Edit: The AHT Gnorcs were cute, especially the little concept art Gnorc with the dragging arm wings!
---
Eh.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:18:43 27/10/2010 by Burning Gnorc
#49 Posted: 19:23:55 27/10/2010
Agreed! Also, I thought those little pirates in TEN were cute. I also thought the Grublins were cool! Not to mention all the hilarious enemies in Spyro 1! I mean, one of the bosses was a sheep dressed as a pumpkin man!
---
#50 Posted: 19:27:48 27/10/2010 | Topic Creator
That is awesome. smilie

You're still re-affirming my point (that being that there was considerably more variety in terms of character design on both sides in the old games vs. the new ones). smilie

For the record, I loved the apes. They were cool-looking, made funny sounds, and it's not too often you get to fight monkeys. smilie I very much disliked the way the story treated them, though ("Oh, they're just evil because they're apes"; fantasy racism much? D: ).
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me