Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Should They Just Leave it?
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4
Should They Just Leave it? [CLOSED]
ShadowCynder12 Green Sparx Gems: 122
#101 Posted: 23:26:15 02/07/2010
Quote: Feather Dragon
Quote: DarkCynder_543

I also agree. I would never watch a fan movie. Fan movies are just fake movies, just like how you can get fake games, IMO.

Well actually, fan movies are real movies, they just aren't usually licensed. A fan movie is only a bad thing if the user is trying to make money off of it. Otherwise most license holders don't bother with them because they believe their huge companies can always make better products than, what is usually, two or three people, and they know that people will buy it because of the attitude that "fan products suck because they're fake, this is official so it must be good!" This is a common attitude that comes from what the general public sees of fan products, the majority of which end up on Flash sites like Newgrounds and usually have poor quality, most of the good products are buried under it, thus giving fan made products a bad name.

I encourage everyone to give an individual product a chance and judge it on it's own quality and not simply turn your nose up to it just because it isn't official.

My words only go so far though. smilie

I agree. Fan movies aren't bad if they're made well. I don't like to say this, but a lot of fan movies are poorly made lately.
---
SPYRO HATERS ARE JUST JEALOUS smilie
smilie smilie
Feather Dragon Green Sparx Gems: 146
#102 Posted: 00:07:03 03/07/2010
Quote: Zackeio
Unfortunately my memory is not as infinite as I would like it to be... The best assumption that I can give you is that I found it on a web article. I believe IGN has the article in their archives. . .

Ah here it is:

Click

This is where I found the info. The Spyro wiki, not exactly the most reliable of sources but nonetheless info that hope can be useful to you.

Perhaps my memory is scrambled at the moment but I got the feeling that it was indeed Insomniac that gave out this info. If the Dragon News Network is still up and working then by all means check that place out.

I would question that Wiki, but I suppose it has it's sources.

What's with that EtD story on there? I've never heard that side of Ripto.

Heh, maybe the dragonfly thing became a tradition after Spyro and Sparx? Just speculation.
---
Aim high in life but watch out for flying boxes!
My tips for RP.
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#103 Posted: 00:14:10 03/07/2010

I would question that Wiki, but I suppose it has it's sources.

What's with that EtD story on there? I've never heard that side of Ripto.

Heh, maybe the dragonfly thing became a tradition after Spyro and Sparx? Just speculation.

Its all up in the air to put it bluntly. I'm still unsure why Ripto despises dragons, EtD doesn't really give a reason nor does RR / GtG. I never played the GBA games, so my standpoint on this is shaky.

I suppose that it would be a nice tribute to Sparx and Spyro, for every young dragon will now I have a Guardian Dragonfly to protect them... as long as they keep them nice a fed of course smilie .
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
Cuzzberry Gold Sparx Gems: 2081
#104 Posted: 15:34:13 03/07/2010 | Topic Creator
^I love that you're looking into the stories and stuff, but remember guys, these games were made for little kids. Like 8 or 9 I think, and that was about the age I was playing them. When kids are that little, they never question a story, so the writers probably thought they would never need to fill in the plotholes. It's kind of in a way lazy, but they probably don't want to confuse the players either with an extended story.smilie
---
Wow... It's been awhile!smilie
#105 Posted: 16:08:29 03/07/2010
As long as it gets message across, the job done, or gets to the point there is no harm or foul on my end. However, how it is executed is another manner though.

Nonetheless the more detail and loose ends you tie up the better, it just makes flow more steadily instead of randomly bouncing off of one thing to the next, fast pace to slow pace etc.
---
My Gallery
#106 Posted: 18:13:58 03/07/2010
I think they actually wanted Spyro to have a story, in all honesty. They didn't need to put Gnasty's origin or the dragon type bio in the manual, but they did, which tells me thy put more work into it then they needed to.

When I was 8, which was around the time I got into Spyro, I didn't think about the story very much either, until I beat the game and then started asking my mother where all this stuff came from and we started overanalyzing it. We're like that. We also overanalyze the graphics, she loves the skies in Spyro 1 and I have to agree their graphics are pretty good.
---
My tips for RP.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#107 Posted: 04:54:20 05/07/2010
Unfortunately my memory is not as infinite as I would like it to be... The best assumption that I can give you is that I found it on a web article. I believe IGN has the article in their archives. . .

Ah here it is:

Click

This is where I found the info. The Spyro wiki, not exactly the most reliable of sources but nonetheless info that hope can be useful to you.

Perhaps my memory is scrambled at the moment but I got the feeling that it was indeed Insomniac that gave out this info. If the Dragon News Network is still up and working then by all means check that place out.

That information's from the Japanese manual, actually...
Eternaly Spyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1092
#108 Posted: 17:12:47 05/07/2010
I loved TLoS. I think it was a lot better than the old ones I hope they keep going from where DoTD left off.
---
I <3 UNICORNS.
#109 Posted: 20:18:36 05/07/2010
Quote: GamingMaster_76

That information's from the Japanese manual, actually...

I would love to know if that was authorized to be added to the story by someone from the company. The Japanese have a habit of doing everything differently from everyone else when it comes to multi-regional icons. I suppose that's why Spyro never took off in Japan though, at least from what I'm seeing of their lacking of box art in the games section of this site.

I think mentioning that in a new game would give more detail to the plot though, provided somebody ever picks up the franchise again. I have the sneaking suspicion nobody wants to touch it after the reboot if only because it created the kind of problem in a franchise no sane company wants to adopt, and that would be a divided and, at best, disagreeable fanbase. (Would you want that mess on your boards? I certainly wouldn't.)

Edit: Didn't realize that was a swear word.
---
My tips for RP.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:20:21 05/07/2010 by Feather Dragon
#110 Posted: 21:06:40 05/07/2010
@ Feather Dragon:

Indeed, that was another reason why a disapprove of TLOS. It created an unnecessary segregation between fans. Its an on going struggle on what the fanbase wants from Spyro.

Still, TLOS would be nothing without the original trilogy and its post trilogy. smilie

However people like TLOS for their own reasons, reasons that go beyond by ability to understand. smilie
---
My Gallery
#111 Posted: 21:27:41 05/07/2010
@ Feather Dragon:

Indeed, that was another reason why a disapprove of TLOS. It created an unnecessary segregation between fans. Its an on going struggle on what the fanbase wants from Spyro.

Still, TLOS would be nothing without the original trilogy and its post trilogy. smilie

However people like TLOS for their own reasons, reasons that go beyond by ability to understand. smilie

Usually this is how reboots are, especially when they toss aside every well-known staple to the fanbase that was already established. Whereas previous games were free-roaming, treasure-hunting adventure games with some focus on platforming elements, the series degraded into a linear, overly story-driven free-style combat game. These worlds meet through like icons and that should never be, it's transitions like this that kill franchises.

Other things killed this one though, such as lazy level design and a flame limit. smilie Spyro doesn't NEED a flame limit, I thought it was cool in aHT and EtD where breath was more than an attack. LOS could probably go somewhere if they took that out and focused less on shoddy beat em up mechanics and more on adventure and platforming, which, I will admit, DotD tried to do, but compared to the level of complexity the older games had in their balance of giving Spyro powers and making him use them, that game came up very short. If Activision continues development on it, they need to really get it together and understand what makes Spyro Spyro.

Besides, I used infinite flame code on DotD anyway. Screw breath limits, since when do dragons need trinkets to breathe fire anyway? That just made them feel underpowered.
---
My tips for RP.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:30:13 05/07/2010 by Feather Dragon
#112 Posted: 21:46:57 05/07/2010

Usually this is how reboots are, especially when they toss aside every well-known staple to the fanbase that was already established. Whereas previous games were free-roaming, treasure-hunting adventure games with some focus on platforming elements, the series degraded into a linear, overly story-driven free-style combat game. These worlds meet through like icons and that should never be, it's transitions like this that kill franchises.

Other things killed this one though, such as lazy level design and a flame limit. smilie Spyro doesn't NEED a flame limit, I thought it was cool in aHT and EtD where breath was more than an attack. LOS could probably go somewhere if they took that out and focused less on shoddy beat em up mechanics and more on adventure and platforming, which, I will admit, DotD tried to do, but compared to the level of complexity the older games had in their balance of giving Spyro powers and making him use them, that game came up very short. If Activision continues development on it, they need to really get it together and understand what makes Spyro Spyro.

Besides, I used infinite flame code on DotD anyway. Screw breath limits, since when do dragons need trinkets to breathe fire anyway? That just made them feel underpowered.

THAT, could not be more closer to the truth than in DOTD in the first part of the Warfang level. You are the savior of the world and you can control the four elements at will, but when it comes to saving victims from a burning building. . . well, sorry jack your powers don't work, you have to get buckets of water to douse these flames. . . *shakes head* smilie I'm sorry, but that makes no sense.

All in all, TLOS is unfortunately the aftermath of unprofessional-ism, poor Development, and poor Game designing. If Activision Blizzard thinks that they can get away with making a sloppy game than they are only hurting themselves for a good solid game franchise.

Besides your not called a pro, just for the heck of it, your called a pro because you are capable of doing what others cannot do (and that's putting it mildly smilie ).
---
My Gallery
#113 Posted: 01:25:39 06/07/2010
I think the limited breath was a good addition, but only for the first two of the trilogy. in DoTD, it drained too fast.

Quote:
Other things killed this one though

• Lack of puzzles
  • Really hard bosses that keep killing you right at the end(TEN)
  • One path only(ANB and TEN, a little of DoTD)
  • Unpolished plotholes(DoTD: CAN'T STOP SAYING THIS!!!)
  • There are not enough dragons
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:26:18 06/07/2010 by GamingMaster_76
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#114 Posted: 01:28:17 06/07/2010
They left an opening in the conclusion of DotD. They should continue where it left off, or do a different storyline with the same character in the same universe.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#115 Posted: 02:53:44 06/07/2010
Quote: Aura24
They left an opening in the conclusion of DotD. They should continue where it left off, or do a different storyline with the same character in the same universe.

Well they could do that. . . but like Cuzzberry saidd, should they do that? I know a lot people know of my distastes for TLOS, but the only logical explanation that I can come up with is for them to re-do TLOS and make it one game. . . if they decide to continue from their remixed / rearrangement then. . . well I guess it depends on how well their remixed / rearrangement went.

If successful then go for it, if not then concentrate on ETD and tying up SL. From there, try expanding Spyro's Universe without destroying the main concept and magic that made it great. . . Why a reboot, why!? smilie

Anyway, it all depends on how serious Activision Blizzard handles their fun with Spyro. Blizzard is still working on Diablo and Starcraft, and Activision, well I could care less. If the Spyro team that is under Activision handles any scenario well, then perhaps this segregation of fans could come to a close, peacefully. . . Hmm.

That reminds me, the separation of fans. . . I wonder how well they can make amends with whatever this new direction will bring? smilie
---
My Gallery
#116 Posted: 05:54:00 06/07/2010
They can't. Not with a division this big, anyway.

The original Spyros had amazing puzzles, focus on collectibles, go-anywhere style levels and a simple plot. The new Spyros have heavy focus on combat, a blasted breath limit, one-way levels and a complicated plot. You can't successfully merge elements frm each game without killing another element. Example; If you had a breath limit in EtD, that game would be so broken, and that's EXACTLY why we don't need it, along with other things, in Spyro games resembling the older ones, because everything you could add into them (Flying, breath limit, EXP, combat) would either be totally pointless or break the game. Same for if you tried taking elements fro older Spyro games and putting them into LoS.

Fans of beat em ups don't want to think that much about some of the complex level design in the original Spyro games. If you add that in LOS it's going to kill the flow, especially since you would still have hoards of enemies to fight. If you give Spyro infinite breath in LOS, the enemies are no longer a threat. If gems were collectible, you would only have a certain amount of times to refill your health.

It just can't work. I get the feeling the only reason anyone even cares about LOS is because they like the deeper story so I think someone should make that series 3DS exclusives when they come out and make the main series go back to SL or work on EtD or some remakes of older games. They can focus on LOS's story more on a handheld so it's more like a spin-off and less like a reboot. We don't need a reboot.
---
My tips for RP.
Crashfan25 Ripto Gems: 496
#117 Posted: 08:12:37 06/07/2010
The only thing we need right now is to finish off the story where Shadow Legacy left off. We can't let Spyro to rest in peace until you finish his original adventures!
#118 Posted: 13:17:58 06/07/2010
They can't. Not with a division this big, anyway.

The original Spyros had amazing puzzles, focus on collectibles, go-anywhere style levels and a simple plot. The new Spyros have heavy focus on combat, a blasted breath limit, one-way levels and a complicated plot. You can't successfully merge elements frm each game without killing another element. Example; If you had a breath limit in EtD, that game would be so broken, and that's EXACTLY why we don't need it, along with other things, in Spyro games resembling the older ones, because everything you could add into them (Flying, breath limit, EXP, combat) would either be totally pointless or break the game. Same for if you tried taking elements fro older Spyro games and putting them into LoS.

Fans of beat em ups don't want to think that much about some of the complex level design in the original Spyro games. If you add that in LOS it's going to kill the flow, especially since you would still have hoards of enemies to fight. If you give Spyro infinite breath in LOS, the enemies are no longer a threat. If gems were collectible, you would only have a certain amount of times to refill your health.

It just can't work. I get the feeling the only reason anyone even cares about LOS is because they like the deeper story so I think someone should make that series 3DS exclusives when they come out and make the main series go back to SL or work on EtD or some remakes of older games. They can focus on LOS's story more on a handheld so it's more like a spin-off and less like a reboot. We don't need a reboot.

Your saying that LOS' gameplay needs to be kicked out the window then? I can see a game studio merging the Storyline aesthetics into LOS and the Originals, but I guess gameplay like LOS and Originals are going to have to be like mini games or something.

Think about it, every since GtG / RR Spyro has been popping up with loads of different mini games for a change of pace in gameplay flow. Sometimes you are racing against a clock, battling a mini-boss on a jet propelled ski boat with a cannon at the hull, saving helpless caveman from being eaten, stuck in some ball and rolling down a track or hill, etc. Maybe one of the types of mini games could be the beat'em style in LOS.Where you have to fight your way through some gauntlet like run with no fodder or health?

But that leaves to what the main gameplay should be. . . I think it be better for it to be the original gameplay instead of LOS. This way you get a nice "easy" flow to one point to the next, and then you can go on a detour, the mini games, if you want to reach to your destination faster, or to find some secret hidden area. . . Like I said it all depends on how serious Activision Blizzard takes their fun.

I recall ETD put the flying sections as mini games in their game. . . not exactly what I had in mind but it did save on space and trying to find the flying portal, or without having the disappointment that all you found was a flight level *shrugs* smilie . This way as you are going through the level you know the main objective is to survive or reach the end of the level, get the talisman or collect all of this and then leave. However if you want to complete the level then you'll need to find those special portals that will lead you to a mini game and it can be a:

• Beat'em up gauntlet run
  • Saving people
  • Flight level
  • Sparx level
  • Supercharge speed run, or puzzle
  • Elite enemy showdown
  • Super Boss mode
  • Platform puzzle (loved those)
  • Underwater racing
  • Super slide - whatever.

Of course those are simply just examples.

As for Story merging, yeah, I have to get back to you guys on that one, that one seems really tricky smilie .
---
My Gallery
#119 Posted: 20:57:54 06/07/2010
I guess if the beat 'em up levels were optional in some way, the problem is that you would need to do them just to finish the game, but personally, if they worked more like, say, Sgt. Byrd's level in that mountain level in Spyro 3 (YotD) (I forget the name of the level, it's the one that uses Town Square from Spyro 1's background and you fight cat wizards.) where he would fight cat witches, I could deal with that, but none of that limited ammo / health BS please, it wasn't there before and we all did just fine. Power-ups that lasted a limited time are perfectly welcome though, as long as they aren't entirely mandatory.

I do love those slides and platform puzzles though. The ones from EtD in Thieves' Den and that glitchy farm level were fantastic, but I do honestly believe we should go back to Spyro 1's 'goal' when it comes to 'the end of the level', in that it didn't have one, the Return Home portal was virtually worthless for more than one incident and the goal was to locate as much treasure and dragons (Preferably all of it) in the level. Reaching the portal didn't effect your percent at all. I liked that. It made it feel less like the levels held your hand on where you were supposed to go - Oh, sure, the way to the exit was the most obvious route, but that's the fun part, figuring out what the signifficance of the side routes is for, and less focus on one route would allow the level designers to focus more on the 'open-world' feeling. In terms of clever level design, Spyro 2 didn't have it and Spyro 3 tried to have it, did a better job but did fall short where Spyro 1 succeeded. The levels were significantly more linear, but still infinitely better than EtD's attempt. The whole game needs reworking. It's just too small, too short and too easy.

And yes, I'm saying toss out LOS's gameplay in the main game. Confine it to minigames and focus on what Spyro's all about, but I'm fie with the idea of a deeper story and if the thought put into the elements could be directed in other areas besides combat we would have an excellent game again.
---
My tips for RP.
#120 Posted: 21:29:46 06/07/2010
Stone hill fits the bill perfectly for the open world feeling for each level. AHT kinda has that as well. The levels in AHT were way bigger than any Spyro game that I've played. The problem though was that each level felt like a homeworld to me... perhaps that is just a personally feeling smilie .

If they want to go with bigger levels, than AHT is definitely the way to go. However, a map on display is definitely required though. That was the draw back to AHT. Sometimes I would just be minding my curiosity and wind up in a level. And having to constantly pause and check where you are gets a little exasperating at times.

Still, bigger levels means that you will either be roaming around a lot or doing a lot of things in each level. Bigger levels means few levels as well. The smaller the level the more variety you can have, the bigger not so much. Virtual space is one of those things that you have to keep in mind when making a video game. Eat too much of it then performance levels can drop.

Its going to be hard trying the find that perfect balance of gameplay and Story. Mario games, especially Super Mario games, have very short levels (3 - 20 min long levels). However because they are short, there are different varieties and much more of them that fit within the Mario theme. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 fit that bill.

So in turn of how big you want the level to be would mean, how long do you want that player to stay in that level for? Original Spyro Trilogy levels weren't that big or in this case you weren't they for a long time. Probably 5 - 15 minuets tops for just normal levels and then maybe add 10 more to that for the harder ones.

Who knows, besides they can add more to a short level with the mini-games and what to make it seem longer when in reality its just two or three short levels built into one. As for the start and finish line approach. . . I guess that can be thrown out, I did like how in the old Trilogy you didn't have to go through the exit portal, you can just hit start and then exit level and BAM your back in the home world with all the stuff you collected.

As for a deeper story. . . there will be no point if it doesn't stay with the true Spyro concept. Another thing that disappointed me in TLOS smilie . If they would have made one of the first trilogy games stories deeper and more serious, I wouldn't mind. Mario, especially his RPG have gotten really edgy for a Mario game before and they sold really well (Paper Mario Thousand year Door and Super Paper Mario ring a bell). Heck even Spongebob has gotten serious, yet still holds the magic that is Spongebob.

Spyro has loads and loads of potential, Activision Blizzard will need to take their time with him to make sure they will bring Spyro's full potential or more.

In a nutshell: Combine short levels together to make one big one, this way it will still hold variety yet seem big at the same time. Deeper story is welcomed but stay true to what Spryo truly is. Collection is definitely needed, what to collect, I could care less, it could be toenails I wouldn't care, be disgusted, but wouldn't care.
---
My Gallery
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#121 Posted: 00:19:23 07/07/2010
Quote: Cuzzberry
Yeah, but even if they did do that, what would they have to rebound on in that situation? Oh gosh, and the last thing they need to do is bring back Gnasty Gnorc for a 3rd time! If they did that I think I would rip my hair out! smilie

The last thing they need to do is to bring back the orignals. Their okay, but most of the time, they just annoyed or bored me. But then again, they look awsome compared to TEN...
I think they should just stick to one thing. I understand re-booting the seris after,about, four years, and switching it again after the majour dis like of TLOS, but that's it. If they keep changing it, they mine as well flush Spyro down the toilet. If they said the game is going to be in a diffrent deriction, were most likely not going to see the orignal style again. But I am not going to be suprised if the newest game will be shot down.
#122 Posted: 07:42:43 07/07/2010
Actually, I didn't mean to say that a player should stay in a level longer, but they the level shold be less linear. I spent 3 years completing Spyro 1. Why? Because there were so many brilliant puzzles that tripped me up such as that blasted dragon in Dry Canyon you need to glide around a wall to get to. That took me a month to figure out. Game design like that needs to come back. Stuffing the levels with minigames isn't the same as that level of adventure, it's just a cheap way out of work for the LDs. One or two minigames is fine but they shouldn't sacrifice the brilliance of basic adventure puzzles. I couldn't tell you how long it too me to find that secret in Haunted Towers. (I hope you know the one *wink wink nudge nudge*)

They aren't that long if you know how to do them, but if you don't, those small but brilliantly designed levels from Spyro 1 could take hours.

I get the bit about aHT, the levels didn't have a consistent theme. (Neither did Spyro 2 or 3) but you didn't go through portals anymore and it was very non-Spyro, but still a good direction for a company that isn't the original.
---
My tips for RP.
#123 Posted: 13:24:15 07/07/2010
Ah, yes, I know the one that you're talking about. But, IMO nothing is as confusing and exasperating as the one in Tree Top Terrance in the Beastmakers homeworld. . . even now that takes me quite a while to figure out what supercharge ramp to jump off from smilie . Puzzles like that, that not only take some brain power but skill level as well are welcomed in my book. I would prefer that over mini-games, or even a equal balance of both would be nice smilie .

It was nice to know that dragons that you saved congratulated for such a tricky puzzle though, and hearing Spyro some what vexed was refreshing as well.
Quote:
That was some ride Spyro, You really learned how to master the Super charge.

Yeah, well you could have picked an easier spot to get stuck!

Something along those lines. All in all, skill based puzzles and even good all fashion brain puzzles like the ones in Spyro 2, I beileve it was called Idol Springs, where you have to jump on some boxes in the right order so they are all lit up, and the buttons that need to be hit in the right order as well, was fine by me.

Instead of pick this up and put that there, or attach yourself here, and then pull that here, and climb up this and swing your partner over here. All of those probably wouldn't have been so bad if it were more challenging or better implemented. Most of the time it felt forced, as if you have no choice but to do it.

Another reason why unlimited flight should be kicked out the window (if not then limit me so that I can't just fly forever). It destroys way to many skill and puzzle requirements in the game. Sure, downdrafts, but honestly, some of them appear out of complete nowhere, especially in the Ruins of Warfang . . . ugh smilie

Levels like Dry cannon and Haunted Towers are what I meant with the whole portal mini game example. I suppose they don't have to be in a different area like Spyro 3's Skateboard challenges and Partner switch areas. I guess that way it feels more like a secret and puzzle, to later figure out. As you progress through your game you hear about that secrete area from another dragon so and so along the way in the game.

Like that one dragon that told you that secret in the Artisains homeworld; would have never thought to jump on all the stepping stones. So I guess a game that rewards, and or punishes you for your curiosity is in order then?
---
My Gallery
#124 Posted: 18:41:52 07/07/2010 | Topic Creator
Ah, yes, I know the one that you're talking about. But, IMO nothing is as confusing and exasperating as the one in Tree Top Terrance in the Beastmakers homeworld. . . even now that takes me quite a while to figure out what supercharge ramp to jump off from smilie . Puzzles like that, that not only take some brain power but skill level as well are welcomed in my book. I would prefer that over mini-games, or even a equal balance of both would be nice smilie .

It was nice to know that dragons that you saved congratulated for such a tricky puzzle though, and hearing Spyro some what vexed was refreshing as well.
Quote:
That was some ride Spyro, You really learned how to master the Super charge.

Yeah, well you could have picked an easier spot to get stuck!

Something along those lines. All in all, skill based puzzles and even good all fashion brain puzzles like the ones in Spyro 2, I beileve it was called Idol Springs, where you have to jump on some boxes in the right order so they are all lit up, and the buttons that need to be hit in the right order as well, was fine by me.

Instead of pick this up and put that there, or attach yourself here, and then pull that here, and climb up this and swing your partner over here. All of those probably wouldn't have been so bad if it were more challenging or better implemented. Most of the time it felt forced, as if you have no choice but to do it.

Another reason why unlimited flight should be kicked out the window (if not then limit me so that I can't just fly forever). It destroys way to many skill and puzzle requirements in the game. Sure, downdrafts, but honestly, some of them appear out of complete nowhere, especially in the Ruins of Warfang . . . ugh smilie

Levels like Dry cannon and Haunted Towers are what I meant with the whole portal mini game example. I suppose they don't have to be in a different area like Spyro 3's Skateboard challenges and Partner switch areas. I guess that way it feels more like a secret and puzzle, to later figure out. As you progress through your game you hear about that secrete area from another dragon so and so along the way in the game.

Like that one dragon that told you that secret in the Artisains homeworld; would have never thought to jump on all the stepping stones. So I guess a game that rewards, and or punishes you for your curiosity is in order then?

Oh my gosh, I know! I was just playing that about 2 weeks ago and it took me about an hour to figure out how to get to that one dragon that was out in the middle of nowhere. Jeezums that was tough...
---
#125 Posted: 01:39:52 08/07/2010
Yeah I miss puzzles like that. I guess adding minigames like on Spyro 3 would be cool though.

I wouldn't want timed flight. I don't know... It feels cheap and frustrating and would serve no purpose gliding and platform puzzles wouldn't serve. Just limit it to levels built for it and maybe let Spyro cheat his way through a new game + you have to earn. Maybe give you Supercharge, superflame and infinite Sparx and lives as well. At least you can earn the right to break the game, and besides, how many of us, in some way or form, dreamed of Spyro flying through the games as kids? I used to think of how awesome that would be (which drove me to climb every high spot on Spyro 2 I could get a claw over smilie) so I think it's a fitting reward.
---
My tips for RP.
#126 Posted: 02:31:10 08/07/2010
I think flight should only be available at the end of the game when you have 100%, for free use in any level, and during the speedruns- of course if they did that the levels would have to be larger. Unlock new levels designed for flight after 100%, and secret areas in levels only assessable with flight, in my opinion is a good idea...
#127 Posted: 03:53:01 08/07/2010 | Topic Creator
I think flight should only be available at the end of the game when you have 100%, for free use in any level, and during the speedruns- of course if they did that the levels would have to be larger. Unlock new levels designed for flight after 100%, and secret areas in levels only assessable with flight, in my opinion is a good idea...

Yes, I agree. But now that they've had free flight in one game, it's kind of hard to get rid of it in the next game.

*After DOTD came out*

Spyro Player: Yes, finally Spyro can fly!

*After the next new game*

Spyro Player: What the-? That doesn't even make sense!
---
#128 Posted: 03:55:21 08/07/2010
Well, this IS Activision we're talking about.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#129 Posted: 03:57:43 08/07/2010
Of course, it'd be in either another reboot or an original.

Oh and those secret areas contain extra bonuses and gems, bringing the percentage of completion above 100%(I'd put it between 127% and 153%).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:21:51 08/07/2010 by GamingMaster_76
#130 Posted: 06:26:12 08/07/2010
Quote: Cuzzberry

Yes, I agree. But now that they've had free flight in one game, it's kind of hard to get rid of it in the next game.

*After DOTD came out*

Spyro Player: Yes, finally Spyro can fly!

*After the next new game*

Spyro Player: What the-? That doesn't even make sense!

That's why we need to toss LOS, it broke Spyro into a million tiny pieces, especially with flight.

I'm not against flight. I bought DotD for flight, but after playing it I realized how broken it was and would sacrifice the awesomeness of flying for good level design and the privilege of earning flight...

Yes I agree with making flight a reward for 100% completion and making unlockable levels designed for flight. But I would put the percentage on an even number or one in the 5s-10s category because that feels less random. Maybe 150-200%.
---
My tips for RP.
#131 Posted: 20:58:37 08/07/2010
LOS was created to reinvent Spyro's universe. If they toss that idea away for some stunt Activision thinks will get them more money, like another reboot, fans will be hating on the reboot, just like the Old Spyro fans hating on the New Spyro for three years.
---
#132 Posted: 00:27:42 09/07/2010
As my professor in college said, "don't try to re-invent the wheel". To me that's what TLOS tried to do with Spyro. There was no need for it IMO, but I digress. . . As for the dilemma of free flight. One way to approach it is to have Spyro being able to fly at any given moment but, only at a certain height. Now Spyro can fly higher, however he would need the assistance of a fairy's kiss to make him fly higher. This is similar in Haunted Towers where those fairy's would kiss Spyro and for a short time he can have superflame.

I was thinking that the ability to fly at larger heights can either be for a limited time or forever.

For a limited time then that means the fairy's can be scattered around the level and Spyro can go back or reach another one to fly higher to get the next area of the level.

If not for a limited time, then Spyro will have to "rescue" the fairies at different heights of the level so that when they kiss him, he can fly at that height at which they were saved from. However, each fairy location will be revealed or uncovered once you rescued a low height level fairy first.

As an example lets say there are four height levels that Spyro can fly at. In order for him to do so he must rescuing the four captured fairies sequentially from lowest to highest. Its not required to beat the level, but if you want to get everything it might be best to check it out.

Still, if Spyro can't fly at any given moment or not this will still meat the requirement of Spyro being able to fly, rather its a speed run or a level that requires Spyro to collect the amount of whatever he is collecting to get to the next world via flight.

I wouldn't want a Spyro game that isn't true to what made him lovable in the first place: A platfomer - action adventure - collecting / completion game.
---
My Gallery
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#133 Posted: 00:35:32 09/07/2010
Well, technically, they could just drop the whole free-flight - Pokemon is frequently dropping one feature, and adding in a new feature in it's place, and I'm sure the same could be done with Spyro.

If they could do it right, we could be saying 'Shame about free-flight, but oh well, this is just as good'.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#134 Posted: 00:48:33 09/07/2010
Quote: Spyroo
Well, technically, they could just drop the whole free-flight - Pokemon is frequently dropping one feature, and adding in a new feature in it's place, and I'm sure the same could be done with Spyro.

If they could do it right, we could be saying 'Shame about free-flight, but oh well, this is just as good'.

That's if it satisfies the need of the consumers requirement; in other words that's if they not only implement it but players like the new addition to it. You can implement anything as much as you want but if people don't like it then this means that its either an implement problem or the general concept doesn't fly.

And if it doesn't fly then that game studio can be in a real mess then. That can cause distraught within the studio which can distract them for quite some time. The best way to avoid that problem is to not only meet the requirements of the consumer but to add something that they didn't ask for and see the response to it. If the majority like the new addition then try implementing it in the next game, if not then at least they can identify the problem straight out.

That or go beyond what the consumer asked for to dazzle them, and to show the world want you can do.
---
My Gallery
#135 Posted: 02:36:44 09/07/2010
Well, merging storylines...

Malefor is born after [original]Spyro dies, who never knew he was a legendary dragon, and the other purple dragons became 'extinct'? Then, Malefor becomes imprisoned, and [legend]Spyro is born afterward? Though that does clash with my fangame idea...
spyro super fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#136 Posted: 03:23:49 09/07/2010
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
The Legend of Spyro series has ended FULL STOP, in Dawn of the Dragon the ending was clearly made to be a FINAL ending to the whole series, there seriously can't be another TLOS game, that would be a bit stupid if they decide to continue on with it.

I can't believe that Spyro has ended, I mean, he's still got lot's of potential. It's like me saying: "Well, I doubt if they could make any more Ratchet and Clank games" and most of you, if not all of you, would disagree and say that there is still potential there, which there is.

I think the sensible thing to with Spyro is these five options:

Go back to the original series and continue the storyline just after 'Year of the Dragon' and kind of reinvent the rest of the storyline so it's like 'Enter the Dragonfly', 'A Hero's Tail' & 'Shadow Legacy' never exisisted.

-or-

Go and remake the orginial series, updates graphics, extend the levels areas a little bit, all that....

-or-

Continue from 'Shadow Legacy' as mentioned before

-or-

Make another reboot, but make it more decent than the last reboot.

And in my opinion, I hate Mario, used to love it as a kid and play it on my Gameboy Colour but now it just annoys me, with Zelda, I don't own a Nintendo console or Wii so straight away I wouldn't be interested in that. Although I have seen videos of it on YouTube and it looks pretty good and I've often thought to myself, why not make Spyro like that? But then again, I suppose fans would moan about it because it is copying Zelda.

you forgot

make another adventure for them in the same universe
---
Kiyoteru Hiyama - "You're engulfed in a sorrowful melody, come and sleep now.
Hereafter, the beginning of a tragedy must be burned into your eyes."
bacon Red Sparx Gems: 36
#137 Posted: 03:37:37 09/07/2010
Alright alright alright.... Sigh.... Alright. I didn't wanna get dragged into this thread, but I just feel a need to. Although I could go into my usual rant about how LoS was pointless and that they should have just stuck to the old style and characters, I think I'll do something a little different. I don't know whether I'm repeating anything, because I haven't read through anyones posts, because they're all 10 ******* paragraphs long! But you're saying that they should just stop where they're at and that there is nothing to improve on. You are also speaking as if they have confirmed a new LoS game. They haven't even confirmed a new Spyro game. At this point I am uncertain as to whether I think there is even gonna be a new one. And if there is, I'm scared to think of what it's going to be like. After Activision merged with Vivendi, Sierra had to go because they, "Didn't fit Activision's requirements." So Spyro is now is being maintained by Activision, who has either decided to give up on Spyro, or they're looking for someone to continue it. And if I remember correctly, Spyro being maintained by someone else is how LoS came to be. So if this were to happen again, the results could be... unspeakable...
---
"HAAX!" - Dr. Haax on Haax
"No one says Gaston to Gaston!" - Gaston on Gaston
"Math!" - Ch4r13s 3ps on Numb3rs
#138 Posted: 04:05:03 09/07/2010
Well, merging storylines...

Malefor is born after [original]Spyro dies, who never knew he was a legendary dragon, and the other purple dragons became 'extinct'? Then, Malefor becomes imprisoned, and [legend]Spyro is born afterward? Though that does clash with my fangame idea...

"Well rumors of our extinction was 'slightly exaggeration'. We just wanted some peace and quite".

Personally story merging between the Originals and LOS is like mixing water and oil. I can't think of a logical solution for that besides the cliche: It was all a dream nonsense smilie. . . hmm or that it was just a story. . . anyway its two completely different universes, and when two universes collide, well scientifically the aftermath is usually two destroyed universes that either get blown up for good, or a new universe is born form it. In layman's terms: Another Reboot. . . and that's no good smilie .

Maybe if Spyro was told like a story book, similar to that in Spyro 2 and 3 (when you were to continue and take break from the game) then I can see Spyro being used in many different scenarios. . . but I think it be better if they just made it so that each game was like a chapter in his story book or something.

*moans* I miss the whole "In the World of dragons" intro. Made it sound so. . . mystical for a lack of a better word smilie .

Quote: bacon
Alright alright alright.... Sigh.... Alright. I didn't wanna get dragged into this thread, but I just feel a need to. Although I could go into my usual rant about how LoS was pointless and that they should have just stuck to the old style and characters, I think I'll do something a little different. I don't know whether I'm repeating anything, because I haven't read through anyones posts, because they're all 10 ******* paragraphs long! But you're saying that they should just stop where they're at and that there is nothing to improve on. You are also speaking as if they have confirmed a new LoS game. They haven't even confirmed a new Spyro game. At this point I am uncertain as to whether I think there is even gonna be a new one. And if there is, I'm scared to think of what it's going to be like. After Activision merged with Vivendi, Sierra had to go because they, "Didn't fit Activision's requirements." So Spyro is now is being maintained by Activision, who has either decided to give up on Spyro, or they're looking for someone to continue it. And if I remember correctly, Spyro being maintained by someone else is how LoS came to be. So if this were to happen again, the results could be... unspeakable...

Pretty much that sums up what we are doing or what this thread has lead to smilie.

And if I may, and if I'm not mistaken: Vivendi merged with Sierra, and Sierra merged with Activision, and Activsion merged with Blizzard to become: Actvision Blizzard. Its like one big melted pot of different studios now. . . man times are rough smilie .
---
My Gallery
#139 Posted: 04:34:18 09/07/2010
Yeah, Sierra and its employees only moved into the Activision department. They didn't lose their jobs or anything.
---
#140 Posted: 05:37:34 09/07/2010
Adding flight in any form takes away the potential for platforming puzzles, adding limited flight feels... limited, making levels designed for finding something like fairies would be more like a gimmick that could be replaced with platform levels or true flying levels like in the first three games and booting flying altogether will irritate a lot of fans...

This is a tough one. You can't very well sever Spyrp's wings or that will anger people even more, implementing flight in a platformer requires limits, but then that takes away the purpose of flight = what humans would call one of the godliest of powers because it is the uultimate freedom. Adding too many limits to it cancels out the feeling gained from it and makes it feel more like a cheap gimmick.

One way I see flying work is like it did in the BK series for N64; being confined to pads in the level. You could use them whenever you like, you could even use them for as long as you like, but if you land or go into another part of the level, you'll land and you must return to that pad to use it every time, but then the levels would need to be designed for it...

I would love to just hand Spyro to Rare... (Forgive spelling errors, this keyboard I am using is a bit stiff.)
---
My tips for RP.
S240sx24 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1970
#141 Posted: 06:24:47 09/07/2010
Well personally the whole LOS series can be a great game if put some effort into it, you know the whole story book idea would have been a good idea in the LOS spyro becuase it was a trilogy, usually trilogys are turned or based on books example twilight but thats another story. I know the LOS universe has so much to offer, I think they ought to stay in that universe and just tweak on it. They tried with old spyro and stopped they tried everything with the old series and it was doing ok to a point other than the first 3 games time for a change, unfortunatly old spyro WILL NEVER be the same unless insomiac buys spyro back again, but I think the LOS spyro can work under someone elses guide, but again that company needs to take their time with it not rush it, There were so many areas in DOTD that I bet made you go, hmm wonder whats out there, wonder what would have been out there if I was aloud to explore more. But it wasnt and it was rushed, I think what killed it was the fact having big name actors voice the characters and I think that spent most of the money and limited game production, its not hard at all to be a character I could do it for sure, so yeah I think that killed the games productivity alot and cut game funding in half.
---
please let me know what you think about my art, I'd really appreciate it.
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=27051
#142 Posted: 13:38:10 09/07/2010
Hmm, Flying has become quite the dilemma. Add flight to the regular levels, you lose platforming aspects to game, take it away and you irritate fans. . . Perhaps we are forgetting that Spyro is a young dragon. Him being able to fly like an adult will seem like Godmode for him. There has to be some sort of limit to his gift of flying.

Even BK had a limited flight system: You need a certain amount of red feathers just to fly, and you will use each one up to gain a higher altitude, once of all them are gone, well you can't ascend anymore. BK's flying also had them slowly descend back to Earth, and if you land, well you're back at square one, and have to trek your way back to a flying pad.

Tails, in Sonic the Hedgehog Series, also had a limited flight, he couldn't climb well but his thrust was excellent. Besides, me personally, I never saw the limited of either flight, limiting, I saw it as a challenge. I wanted to know exactly how high can go and wonder if I can make it or not. Even seeing Tails or BK fall down back to Earth did not deter me to try again from a different angle or to find a different route to reach where I was supposed to go.

I don't think just giving players all the tools needed at the start just so they have a huge one-up over the game is necessary. Now mind you there are games like that, but those types of games are extremely unforgiving and they are extremely fast paced. Look up a game called Alien Soldier and you'll see what I mean. You can beat them of course, but that takes really good hand eye coordination and reflexes just to survive and or beat the game.

Perhaps fans of Spyro have to give themselves a limit for a challenge, I mean that's the Game part of a Video Game is the challenge. Can't just give it to you, you have to earn it. Similar to changing into Super / Hyper Sonic, or reaching the Grand Master Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2. It may have been a long journey but it was worth once you beat it.

Besides I think adding Flying into Regular levels (or not whirlwinds and wind currents could work as well) can add some interesting level design. In the Original and LOS series we see piece of the Earth floating in mid air, maybe with the gift to fly (or not) we can use that gift to reach to that part of the next level or fly under them to see if there is a secret for us to unveil.

The possibilities are endless. . . well to a point technology isn't that advance yet smilie .
---
My Gallery
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:38:58 09/07/2010 by Zackeio
#143 Posted: 17:10:52 09/07/2010
Yes, a game needs its challenge and you should earn flight - at the end of the game after you get everything. Then you could fly to your heart's content through all the levels with no stupid limit and no risk at breaking the game.

ou know, it's really quite easy to cheat BK's flying, just press B when you aim at the sky and you'll do that missile thing, it takes you pretty far, just try not to hit the forcefield. I do it all the time in that dinosaur level, which is pure amazingness to fly in, and I've never dropped below a hundred feathers. Not to mention there's a code you unlock fairly early that gives you twice as many feathers. And I still manage to not break the game because you still have to work your way to the flight pad and most of the items are behind bars, in secret areas and so forth. Now, if you want to design a Spyro game like that, you'll need to come up with some different collectibles because dragons on high cliffs or gems scattered around won't work anymore, but in theory it could work, given the fans can accept a change. (I doubt I can but... meh.)

As for Tails... I hate Tails' flying, to be honest. I like my platformer puzzles, sure, but when it comes to flying, I don't want some cheapo package with a time limit that barely makes up for the bad control, I want the full deal! I want the freedom to soar the freaking skies to my heart's content, doing loops in the air and spinning around floating platforms, I loved that about Spyro 1's levels, shame they took looping in the air out in later games. Tails' flight doesn't feel like flight, it feels like a heavily bosted jump, and you'll never imagine the words that came out of my mouth when I go to take off soaring in SA1 and see that now he flies for even LESS than before. All through playing Sonic I always wondered "When is this stupid fox going to stop being a wuss? If he didn't sit in that dang plane all the time he wouldn't be so out of shape!" Truthfully, Sonic is a horrible example of how flying in a video game should be.

Besides, Tails flies like a helicopter, Spyro flies like a plane. Tails exists in a universe of momentum physics (Poor quality or not *coughSA2cough*) and his flight is limited in that flying up makes him slower and flying down makes him faster. This is useful in platforming because it still gives the feel of precision jumping puzzles, just on easy mode. Spyro is constantly flying forward like a plane, he's always propelled forward and though the older games worked more on building speed, he's still faster than either Tails from Sonic or Kazooie from BK (God that bird is so slow, but lol @ sniping in the air) which not only takes away percision platforming, and possible screws you up, but it makes it pointless because of how fast you can complete the level.

...But that's the flight for Spyro that works best when working against a timer or in general, such as
Gnasty's Loot where you could infinitely fly, but that level was one level and its gimmick was height control, I wouldn't want to do that for every level because that could get monotonous fast, not to mention I can't imagine the devs could keep designing fresh new levels based on that concept without turning it into some kind of arcade-style on-rails game.

Which is why I think they should just offer it as a reward at the end of the game on the premise that Spyro is a little dragon and needs some magic fairy's kiss to fly, and maybe it wears off by the next game and some other item will give it to him then. This is an item to work for if you complete 100%, and besides, other games have tossed out limits as rewards for completing them 100%. Okami comes to mind, you have the powers of a god (Lightning, making things bloom, etc) but you have limited magic to use them. Well, if you get 100%, you can use them to your heart's content. The only catch is you need to have an item equipped, so maybe at the end of a game make the power to fly an equip item that takes up a limited space of three. In the case of Okami, usually it's wise to have the Lucky Cat, Peace Bell and Water Tablet equipped, but to have the beads that let you godmode up the new game +, you need to give up a slot, it isn't a huge hindrance, but it doesn't matter because you've already beaten the game once.

Flying, in and of itself, cannot be a challenge. Or better worded, it should not be a challenge. There's barely a way to design a platformer around it without limiting it which feels cheap (Sonic), redesigning the way you play a platformer (DotD) or putting annoying restrictions on it such as speed and control. (BK)

I understand the 'game' part of video game, but there's also the 'video' part, which is the visual vehicle for your adventure, and if something doesn't feel convincing it can ruin the experience. Ex: Flying. What is flying to humankind? It's the ultimate freedom, the best means of getting around and even to some a godly power or gift. Many legends in human history tell of powerful winged creatures (Dragons?), superior beings (Spirits or deities often are drawn with wings) or even our own modern-day fantasy. (Super heroes can often fly. (Batman is just handicap smilie) and look at DBZ and popular Anime. A quote from Deathnote is a good example where the protaganist tells a god of death that wings are a sign of ultimate godhood.)

Because of the general impression of what flying is supposed to be, and because it can either be so easily cheapened or destroy the founding of a game utterly, it's one of the most controversial topics for a video game. Spyro, however, suffers from a problem; he is one of the many mythical beasts of human fashioning which is blessed with wings, people expect a dragon to fly, and being limited to gliding also feels cheap. This is only justified in that Spyro was learning to use his relatively small wings in the first game but as the series progressed, I assume people were beginning to wonder when he would learn to fly. Or rather, when it would be implemented in his games, because I'm sure everyone has wondered "I wonder how flying freely through Lofty Castle or Tree Tops would feel..." That's why I press the matter of an after-game reward. You would get the old level design and then you could wonder, but at the end of the game... you could find out.
---
My tips for RP.
#144 Posted: 19:14:28 09/07/2010
Quote: S240sx24
Well personally the whole LOS series can be a great game if put some effort into it, you know the whole story book idea would have been a good idea in the LOS spyro becuase it was a trilogy, usually trilogys are turned or based on books example twilight but thats another story. I know the LOS universe has so much to offer, I think they ought to stay in that universe and just tweak on it. They tried with old spyro and stopped they tried everything with the old series and it was doing ok to a point other than the first 3 games time for a change, unfortunatly old spyro WILL NEVER be the same unless insomiac buys spyro back again, but I think the LOS spyro can work under someone elses guide, but again that company needs to take their time with it not rush it, There were so many areas in DOTD that I bet made you go, hmm wonder whats out there, wonder what would have been out there if I was aloud to explore more. But it wasnt and it was rushed, I think what killed it was the fact having big name actors voice the characters and I think that spent most of the money and limited game production, its not hard at all to be a character I could do it for sure, so yeah I think that killed the games productivity alot and cut game funding in half.

The LoS was probably meant for the older players who grew up with Spyro, since it's "dark and serious". It doesn't matter to me, I still like the light-heartening atmosphere of the Old Spyro.
---
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#145 Posted: 20:05:13 09/07/2010
I'll read the rest of the long posts later, unless someone wishes to summarize it all for me.
For I'll say this:
1. Although Spyro lost TONS of his popularity and fame, he is still very popular and dropping the franchise would be a loss of money.

2. He still has much potential. With some tender love and care, there could be a Spyro game all fans can enjoy, old and new alike. He may also be returned to his former glory if put in the right hands.

3. Despite how much I dislike LOS, I can see them not wanting to ditch it given all it was meant to do, though I really think they should. I understand that many people like it and that's fine, thier opinion, but I hope they all realize that there are loads of ways an epic Spyro game(if you can call LOS that) can be made and made well. Furthermore Spyro and Cynder have just defeated who I took to be something like ultimate evil, and I have to wonder where they can go after that. Sure, they could keep the universe and characters, but if they were to fight a standard villain (ie along the lines of Ripto) it would seem meh compared to all the hype that was Malefor (and he WAS all hype). As for introducing a new evil like him, it would be redundant, IMHO. If they continue at all with LOS, it should be ONE more game only (I'd like a whole remake of DotD) made only for the sake of fixing all plotholes, character designs and personalities, and giving a better end to Malefor and the character's relationships with eachother.

4. As far as returning to the old goes, I think it might be wise given all the fans who left and may come back if that happened. Spyro was also a bigger seller back in that day (look it up; around 5 mil. units sold per game for ONE conole back then, as opposed to the around one mil. sold today for MANY consoles.) There was also a big loose end left at the End of Shadow Legacy; the Sorcerer is working on a machine to trap everyone forever,but it just ends. Also, a game which ties in ALL the worlds from Spyro's past game would be AWESOME on a full screen home console. Classic Spyro games were simple but fun, featuring light humor, wide and beautiful worlds, simple gameplay, colourful characters, and upbeat catchy tunes.

5. Whatever happens WILL happen; I REALLY doubt that they would buy Spyro and not do anything with him, even if they are taking a long time with it.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:05:30 09/07/2010 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#146 Posted: 20:09:03 09/07/2010
Quote: Aura24
Quote: S240sx24

The LoS was probably meant for the older players who grew up with Spyro, since it's "dark and serious". It doesn't matter to me, I still like the light-heartening atmosphere of the Old Spyro.

You'd think that they'd realize that many fans who grew up with Spyro LIKE the kiddish lighthearted atmosphere, otherwise we would have stopped playing and wouldn't have grown up with the series. Sheesh.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#147 Posted: 20:17:51 09/07/2010
Playing the same thing: going to different worlds through portals, pilot machines in different Spyro games could've been a little boring after a while, in my opinion. Not every game franchise remains the same, they go through changes.

And you posted two times.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:18:08 09/07/2010 by Aura24
#148 Posted: 22:09:03 09/07/2010
smilie Hmm. . . I don't know FeatherDragon. . . something, doesn't feel right. If Activision Blizzard gives us the gift of free flight as an End Game Reward (EGR), then the new problem is: how to top or carry that over into the next game. Its just like what CuzzBerry said "In DotD we can fly now; but in this game we can't" . Is being able to fly at any time, all rules barred, going to be part of the games Story or is it just Gameplay exclusive only?

This is just like in Spyro 2 to Spyro 3. . . In Spyro 2 you are given the EGR of Superflame and can start over with it through a little glitch in the game (if you can call it that). However in Spyro 3, you start out at square one with no Super power-ups whatsoever. . . This can irritate fans just as much. I guess you can say that they went through all that work for nothing, so what was the point of it? Its similar to how Sonic can become Super in one game, and then in the next his back to square one. This has birthed many questions like "Why doesn't he just keep them?" .

However that's taking it from a gameplay perspective. If the gift to fly at any time was Story driven, then would this mean a change in Spyro's gameplay from that game forth?

Before I go on, I do concur with you and others that being able to fly at anytime is indeed a wonderful feeling / reward . . . but all feelings come and go; and being able to fly can just be as monotonous as jumping to this platform and hitting that. This reward will have to spawn a new challenge for Spyro (Player) to over come as well.

If they do make the gift of being able to fly at anytime Story driven, then this is going to open a whole new threshold of challenges, and rewards for Spyro's development as he progresses through his video game career. However, will this clash to what the originals were that made it so great? Will this make Spyro into what is now Sonic? Maybe, maybe not, (man I hope not smilie ) . But these are things to consider.

Perhaps I'm being a devil's advocate. . . it seems like the originals had it right. Only being able to fly through certain levels and the rest being just platforming sections. . . grr, it seems Spyro is heading towards the same area as Sonic. Being able to turn Super / Hyper will be no different than to be able to fly through any stage outside of speed run only when you get everything in that game.

True, you do make a valid point when saying "When is Spyro going to actually fly?" however we also want Spyro to stay young, we don't want him to age. Will him being able to fly age him or will him being able to fly overpower him? Spyro does have lots of self abilities such as:

• Head Bash
  • Swimming with no air limit
  • Climbing
  • Gliding
  • Hovering
  • Double Jump
  • Skateboarding
  • Unlimited breath (short range, but hey unlimited)
  • etc

adding one more can make him too over powered. However if they are going to give him lots of abilities and or gifts, then that would mean the difficulty would have to ante up. Enemies would have to survive longer besides one - two hits, or they would have to have a more serious drive to stop you in your tracks.

This also means more puzzles (skilled and or brain power) to be implemented and used just right into the gameplay.

In a nutshell: Being able to fly at any given moment as an EGR is indeed a welcomed gift among us. However the aftermath of such gift is questionable. smilie
---
My Gallery
#149 Posted: 23:59:20 09/07/2010
My short response to that, since a few people are beginning to complain about long posts, is:

1: Spyro obtains an item and is able to fly with it, this is his EGR, which also unlocks new treasure rounds (Flying levels, for those not nerdy enough to read the manuals. smilie) and flying-related puzzles and even areas in existing levels with new flying-based quests (Not all of these need to be timed, maybe a simple treasure hunt around one level, a dogfight with other dragons in another level (That sounds like a fun Live game, actually. smilie) an obstacle course in another, etc. (I've thought about this... =()

2: Spyro trips and falls and loses the item. smilie ... What? It's possible. Okay okay, some evil villain steals the item and some other treasure, makes a huge mess, kidnaps a couple of Spyro's friends (Playable characters?) and he has to stop them, and will obviously receive the same EGR at the end...

However, the thing with 2 is that everyone expects a sequel to rise above, so not only would you need the same EGR but you would need an improved one, so say Randomvillainman enhances it to give you fireballs as well. Then, not only can you have the same kind of ideas such as the extra flying content but you get things like target practice and even areas that could only be accessed by blowing them up with a fireball.

Obviously this means that games henceforth need to make gameplay designed around your newfound abilities, and I admit, flying around all the time would get boring, but that's why game companies need to keep their games fresh without losing their original concept. (I agree though, Spyro does not need to go the way of Sonic. smilie) You just build off of what Spyro already has. Ex:

-Well, he can fly in the first game so let's give him superflame in the next one!
-Well, now that he's gotten these two things, how can we make him better? What about different breaths that will be powered up along with fire?

And honestly, I don't think they should think ahead any further than three games since that's the pattern for Spyro anyway.

But obviously the game needs new abilities for Spyro to be fresh, it also needs new challenges and areas to explore with different goals to keep it interesting. That's why I find Spyro's gimmicks to be so appropriate. In every level, and in every world for Spyro 1, you had some kind of gimmick or enemy or whatever that made the level feel different from everything else. The problem with LOS is that all the enemies and levels are essentially the same thing with harder difficulty. It didn't have anything environmental or otherwise that made it special.

The thing is, peoplee think the only way to match a powerful character is to make the enemies just as powerful with multi hits and stuff, but nobody considers just making the environment more open for them. Once you have those new powers, you can master your current environment; the part of the level you had access to, so why not with your EGR give you a wider range in the level to access? One with puzzles and flying enemies that, while still dieing in one hit, are more suited to your new form of exploration? What about enemies that have the appearance of only being able to die by your new powers? Ones that have things like full metal armor that die by your fireballs or even things like an after-game item to collect that might unlock something on a previous game?

Well, that wasn't as short as I thought it would be... But I do agree, the EGR can be problematic in some areas, at least past the third game from my perspective.
---
My tips for RP.
#150 Posted: 00:42:53 10/07/2010
So, FeatherDragon in a nutshell:
The EGR is a removable item that is given to Spyro (Like keys to the family car if you will smilie ). In the next game he loses the item to the villain and the villain does his/her endeavors that prompts Spyro to head into action.

Zackeio in a nutshell:
The EGR is part of the next villains plot. Spyro goes on another adventure, to rescue his friends, worlds, and to regain his item. EGR will grant Spyro either Superflame or elemental breaths - which may hint the theme of the game. Different homeworlds with different gimmicks like Spyro 1.

Well played indeed FeatherDragon smilie. This definitely makes the EGR less godly like then I had pictured yet still effective at the same time. Perhaps the EGR is like a magical orb that Spyro swallows at the end of the game and then later he figures out that he can fly. Of course thinking that this is the original Spyro personality lets say that he runs into Randomvilainman - no wait... Mrs. Villain's henchmen bullying some helpless victims. Spyro feeling over confident flies in and starts torching bad-guy booty, well done I might add. However Spyro being over confident gets sucker punched right in the gut, causing him to not only getting the wind knocked out of him but his EGR as well.

The henchmen stunned at first are quickly relieved that they found the missing artifact for Mrs. Villain's master plan. Spyro tries to get up again, but is having trouble regaining his strength. The henchmen laugh heartily as they leave their victims scared, dazed, and for Spyro's cased: vexed.

That is just an idea of what could happen. But, eh I always felt that my storytelling abilities could be better smilie

However this does put Spyro back at Square one, but at least we know why though. So this may be a get the ultimate item back ordeal, but at least its better than starting at square one just cause its a new game. Now to continue with my little "scenario" I guess Spyro could be feeling a bit vexed that he lost his new item and would like to avoid a lecture for his elders repeating themselves for him to not lose the EGR and he should use it wisely, and blah-blah. So perhaps Spyro just goes off to find his EGR again and finds out that some of his friends from other worlds have been captured as well, and that Mrs. Villains henchmen are starting get a little out of hand, and so begins another adventure!

As for the home-worlds, yeah, I like that myself... maybe there could be more to the dragon realms besides just Avalar, Forgotten, and the current Spyro 1 worlds? Maybe there will be other worlds with other types of dragons (Chinese Dragons comes to mind smilie ) and Spyro goes about that world like he did in Spyro 1 - 3? Who knows maybe the game that will feature his EGR or the one before it will hint on where he actually comes from? That will be pretty interesting.
---
My Gallery
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me