Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Why the Spyro Movie was cancelled!
Page 1 of 1
Why the Spyro Movie was cancelled! [CLOSED]
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#1 Posted: 16:47:09 15/05/2010 | Topic Creator
If you are upset that the Spyro movie is cancelled, you can find theroies here! Are if you find evidence or have a theory, post it here!
Quote:
They cancelled the movie because of Activision making the next game go in a different direction. And they didn't bother telling us about its cancellation that happened 2 years ago.
Thanks for this quote goes to Sapphire24 on Gamespot.
The same thing happened with the Halo Movie. They were just developing the first few scenes of the movie when they cancelled it. Bungie wanted to make more games before they made a movie.
That is kind of the same reason they cancelled Spyro, which is almost good news. If this is the true reason why it was cancelled, then that means they'll probaly start working on the movie after the next game comes out.
If Spyro contniues to grow, then a movie would roll in money for sure, and any company wouldn't ignore that.
The only bad news is the part about going in a diffrent deriction. After a huge, unexplained, cracked transition that changed the genre's, chracters, setting, story, and silliness, their going to change all of that again??
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:48:12 15/05/2010 by ignitusforever
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 17:20:20 15/05/2010
I doubt that the movie was going to be good anyways. With the same movies they made Garfield gets real or Scooby Doo: the Mystery Begins, it made kinda doubt it.

By the way, shouldn't this topic be in the Spyro movie section?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:26:39 15/05/2010 by Aura24
christiangirl94 Green Sparx Gems: 387
#3 Posted: 17:22:17 15/05/2010
A small theory I have is that they decided to cancel it because so many people thought and said it was going to be bad because it's made by the same people who made Eragon. And many people think Eragon is horrible (except me, I love Eragon smilie ).
---
- Alpha and Omega - Coming to theaters September 17
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#4 Posted: 19:00:02 15/05/2010
Given all the huge flaws in LOS, I think a reboot would be ise. I'm not just talking about the plothles, I mean there are huge things in the whole trilogy that would make a game in LOS universe impossible. For example, Malefor was the ultimate evil right? Where does a hero go after they slay ultimate evil? Aside from fighting the real lord of darkness (ie. the devil), I can't think of any kind of villain that wouldn't seem wimpy (for want of a better term) comapred to what Spyro has just done. Also, given Spyro's immense natural power I think it makes a lot of aspects that could make a game alot more fun and versatile (such as essential tools, alternate routes to a destination like a hidden passage, vehicles etc.) obsolete.

Granted there was a passage in the temple in ANB, but then that was understandable, Ignitus was just one dragon and Spyro didn't know how to use his powers in full yet. However, in DotD, both Spyro and Cynder are fully trained in how to utilize thier powers, AND there were four adult dragons with them outside the Ruins of Warfang. So tell me, why did Spyro and Cynder have to go through that long tunnel to get the keys and open the gate when they and the other dragons could have used thier collective power to blow the gates open? At the time I didn't think of it, and I only just realized it now, but now that I think of it, it seems a tad redundant to me. Any one agree?
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#5 Posted: 19:06:56 15/05/2010
Puting all the cutscenes from the trilogy altogether was pretty much a movie too.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#6 Posted: 19:16:57 15/05/2010
How?

Also, do think they'll release what they've done with the movie so far? If they've done anything that is?
---
#7 Posted: 19:21:06 15/05/2010
The game cutscenes in order from ANB, to TEN, and DotD would pretty much be a short movie of the whole trilogy.

If Activision didn't allow them to show what they've progressed.
---
#8 Posted: 19:40:59 15/05/2010
Pretty ****ty movie though, eh?
---
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#9 Posted: 22:06:34 15/05/2010
I think they would have just copyed ANB with the movie.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#10 Posted: 01:10:23 16/05/2010
I wounder what this new direction is? Going back to the originals? But doing that isn't "new" though. I'm guessing they're doing another reboot. Hopefully a one that isn't so crummy.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#11 Posted: 01:11:08 16/05/2010
My theory.
Quote: Movie Producers
Hi, Sorry to tell you this, but we've canceled the movie due to how much more popular the original Spyro was. We don't want to upset the fans any more with the Legend trilogy. The game producers have also decided to go in a different direction; so you might be able to get a little from them.
Regards,
[insert signature here]
#12 Posted: 01:14:01 16/05/2010
I beleive they said different direction, not new direction. Classic Spyro IS different from LOS, very different I might add.
---
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#13 Posted: 15:21:58 16/05/2010 | Topic Creator
Iv'e got to be honest, even though there is tons of flaws in TLOS, I do like TLOS better. I do like the story better, I like the dragon shapes better, and I like the gameplay better too. I find the orignal to be long,boring, sometimes to hard, and sometimes too easy. The orignal games did have their good parts though. Oh,crud, I am torn.
#14 Posted: 15:24:35 16/05/2010
Part of the dragon designs in vlassic Spyro was due to a lack of technology. Things came out looking blocky and lacking in detail.
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#15 Posted: 06:43:30 19/05/2010
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
I beleive they said different direction, not new direction. Classic Spyro IS different from LOS, very different I might add.

To tell you the truth, I don't know why I wrote what I did in the other post. =\

Your right. Classic Spyro is a different direction. I have my fingers crossed.

Quote: ignitusforever
Iv'e got to be honest, even though there is tons of flaws in TLOS, I do like TLOS better. I do like the story better, I like the dragon shapes better, and I like the gameplay better too. I find the orignal to be long,boring, sometimes to hard, and sometimes too easy. The orignal games did have their good parts though. Oh,crud, I am torn.

IMO, the story line is crap, the dragon shapes are crap, and the game play is crap. Heck all of it is crap. xD
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:46:00 19/05/2010 by DarkCynder_543
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6147
#16 Posted: 07:03:58 19/05/2010

It may mean a new direction SpyroLUVA.

Quote: ignitusforever

Yeah, I find tLoS better some how- not saying I don't like the classic- I think the powers are better and the storyline is better in a way...
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:26:08 19/05/2010 by Bolt
#17 Posted: 12:16:05 19/05/2010
I tell you we need a mix! A mix of old and new and a few different things. Yes, a mix is the fix, if done right!
---
cornys Blue Sparx Gems: 665
#18 Posted: 20:39:39 19/05/2010
I honestly think that it was a hoax all along. The Games weren't big enough to yeild a movie this time around anyhow. Now these people are finding their way into authority as to the future of the franchise...
---
The USS Tiger Tank
General (3)
http://www.utanks.com/Referral.aspx?ID=241
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:42:41 19/05/2010 by cornys
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#19 Posted: 21:14:00 19/05/2010
it was gonna be ****
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#20 Posted: 21:21:57 19/05/2010
Quote: cornys
I honestly think that it was a hoax all along. The Games weren't big enough to yeild a movie this time around anyhow. Now these people are finding their way into authority as to the future of the franchise...

Given the availible evidance, it is not possible for it to have been a hoax.
#21 Posted: 21:38:28 19/05/2010
The producers of the LoS trilogy were also trying to get involved in the Spyro Movie sometime in early 2009.
---
cynderslove Red Sparx Gems: 25
#22 Posted: 05:34:17 20/05/2010
what i think is that the company just came up with and excuse saying that they didn't want to afend the origanle spyro fans because they couldn't even find a drector to shoot the movie and they think that no would even care if that movie came out but i care and i was hoping to spyro has been around since 1998 -2010 so do you think they sould get of their asses and make the movie i would be sweet to see specally if they get james cameren to direct the movie sence his avatar movie set best picture level even higher
#23 Posted: 21:45:37 20/05/2010
It's got nothing to do with lazyness. Activision wants to take Spyro in a different direction, and I assume/hope that they cancelled the movie because the movie was supposed to be in the LOS universe, and the next game might not be in the LOS universe, at least not as it is.
---
#24 Posted: 00:55:43 22/05/2010
yeah a new direction that does not even focus on the making of the movie its just i been playing spyro games ever since they came out and in the movie they could have add information that they didn't put into the game and they are afride that no one would go see the movie or that the movie is so great that they would have to make movies for the other game they have came out with over the years. for example look at DOOM it was a computer game then made into a movie
#25 Posted: 13:49:05 22/05/2010
No, it's npt cancelled because they're worried it'll such and certainly not because it'l be too good. They cancelled it because the new direction is most likely not in the LOS universe, at least not as we know it.
---
#26 Posted: 18:09:51 22/05/2010
It's a "different" direction. Not a new direction.
---
#27 Posted: 21:19:04 22/05/2010
Yeah, we established that already, and I was the one to do it. I misspoke just then.
---
#28 Posted: 21:26:11 22/05/2010
I just hope Mike Graham is still in charge, otherwise the Spyro series will be runned by a group of immature people who never experienced in working with the Spyro franchise.
---
#29 Posted: 21:35:19 22/05/2010
Excuse me? Who are you to say that they're immature? You don't know them. FYI, Mike and Chris had no expericence with Spyro either when they stated to my knowledge, and look what happened: A HUGE chunk of the fandom left, to be replaced in part by a bunch of immature fantards who can't take a negative comment and perves who drool over Cynder. Not only that, but I don't think they hired actual writers who know how to write! The whole bloody story is derivative, cleche and linear. And am I the only one who thinks many of the characters are 2 dimentional and lacking in proper developement? Also, devoted fans or not, LOS doesn't even border the number of units sold by Spyro 1, 2, and 3. The next game should be pretty good as long as they get makers who have experience making fun platformers, characters who don't drive fans mad with 'sexiness' and ACTUAL WRITERS!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:35:31 22/05/2010 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
#30 Posted: 21:40:02 22/05/2010
In your opinion, of course.

This is Activision we're talking about, SpyroLUVA. They're now the publishers of the Spyro series, and they're probably not as open-minded as Sierra was.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:40:24 22/05/2010 by Aura24
#31 Posted: 21:49:47 22/05/2010
I know of the article in which Bobby said some bad things about innovation, but never the less, Actvision has been in charge of some VERY popular games for quite some time. They wouldn't have stayed on top for this long if they didn't know what they were doing. As for open mindedness, why don't YOU try being open minded? Activision hasn't said two words about the new game and you're already speaking ill of Spyro's future with them. For goodness sake, have faith. Given that we know nothing of the game just yet, the potential for greatness is through the roof as far as any of us know.
---
#32 Posted: 21:54:56 22/05/2010
Easy for you to say. <.<

We don't even know what direction they'll take the Spyro series, with Activision cancelling the movie and taking away the idea of the LoS composers returning. They'll probably do another reboot.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:57:39 22/05/2010 by Aura24
#33 Posted: 22:17:23 22/05/2010
All the more reason to have faith. There's no telling what will happen next, so it could be something mind blowingly awesome, maybe something none of us thought would work for Spyro.
---
#34 Posted: 04:45:10 23/05/2010
why don't they make the movie like what they do for the cinemaic sences in the game that could be a way to get the movie back into the spot light like for the example the trailers for the legend of spyro siries if they can make a trailier why not make a movie like that
#35 Posted: 04:59:41 23/05/2010
Activision probably wouldn't allow it anyways. They cancelled the movie. Even if some movie company did make a Spyro movie, Activision owns the rights to the Spyro franchise, and they would probably go and cancel it.

Movie's cancelled. End of story.
---
jamieque Blue Sparx Gems: 766
#36 Posted: 21:15:01 24/05/2010
The Spyro movie was pretty much dead from the word go because it was going to be a retread of the game storyline with a few new elements thrown in that were cut from the original game due to money issues and a short development time. As for another company doing a Spyro film that is already happening in private and nothing Activision does will stop that project from being completed.

As for them currently owning Spyro I assure you their ownership of the franchise is not 100%. There are others who have a small stake in the property as well. They are just the majority shareholders/owners of the property at present. However, that may change in the near future depending on how well this so-called 'DIFFERENT DIRECTION' they are taking with the franchise pans out. Personally, if they are going to do another reboot then Spyro is screwed because it doesn't matter how well they have managed their own properties. Spyro didn't start out being their property from the beginning. Insomniac Games created Spyro and the only way to revive his popularity is to bring back the original universe but with a slight LOS twist. In other words, a merger of the two realities/universes needs to be done. However, to do so would require a really good story to merge the two into anything that even remotely approaches the word AWESOME. It can be done because the upcoming Spyro film has a story that does re-capture the magic of the original while bring in the spirit of Legend.

The franchise needs professional help in the writer department if it is to survive. And when I said professional writers I mean writers who at least have some knowledge or have at least taken the time to do some actual research into what made the original Spyro work as well as the elements of the Legend games that also worked well and merge the two. A merger can be done and should be done. However, it will take a team of writers who know how to balance the different aspects of the two versions into making a proper game that works.
#37 Posted: 21:29:05 24/05/2010
^ MOAR TRUTH!

I don't think the stories of classic and new should meet. If they don't follow LOS directly, they should restart Spyro in the old, but keep elements of LOS.
I.e. multi hit combat, multiple breaths, maybe a prophecy about Spyro, maybe the new characters but edited to be suitable to the game.

They should get rid of SxC and Spyro's wimp attitude. Bring in comedy, mini games, wide worlds with lots to explore, a thick, interesting story and It's could be golden.
---
#38 Posted: 21:31:23 24/05/2010
I still say they should make a Spyro game with qualities of BOTH the old and the new Spyro. That way, there won't be any debates or arguments on the two sides of the franchise.

The Old Spyro isn't the old Spyro without Universal as its publisher.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:52:16 24/05/2010 by Aura24
#39 Posted: 22:05:12 24/05/2010
^I agree, but I think Activision ond whoever they pic could make a good classic game. Do you suppose InOmniac would accept the project if they were asked to make the next game?
---
#40 Posted: 23:56:31 24/05/2010
I kinda doubt it, since Insomniac isn't one of the game developers Activision has as one of their game developer studios.
---
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#41 Posted: 16:08:46 25/05/2010
They should get rid of SxC and Spyro's wimp attitude. Bring in comedy, mini games, wide worlds with lots to explore, a thick, interesting story and It's could be golden.

Well, why getting rid of it altogether? Something can be done, which will also make SxC funny, such as... IDK, love-hate relationship? Or arguing, belive it or not, I found it strange, but also found it popular for humans... You are such weird creatures.
---
Keep smile
#42 Posted: 16:35:45 25/05/2010
I agree, I don't find any wrong with Spyro's compassionate attitude. I do agree that the SxC thing was rushed, but it doesn't have to be gone all because of DotD. The producers can fix that, instead of getting rid of them.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:42:03 25/05/2010 by Aura24
#43 Posted: 20:48:42 25/05/2010
I have nothing against compassion either. It's the fact that compassion seems to be his biggest/main personality trait, with no obvious, inspiring confidence or toughness. SxC could work; I like the love hate thing.
---
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#44 Posted: 20:56:21 25/05/2010
I can live with his compassionate side but at the same time I don't want it to be his main trait. Keep his tough guy, yet nice guy attitude in the original games, and make him be like this... bully for the bad guys if you will.

You go around messing with people in such a way, Spyro will come and give you a wedgie you never thought possible. . . Punishing those who do evil but not killing them, IMO, seems to fit Spyro perfectly.

I mean he can act concerned for someone's well being, but in a tough guy/ upstart / smug way, just to play face. But I digress.
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:57:36 25/05/2010 by Zackeio
#45 Posted: 21:44:50 25/05/2010
A perfect fit for Spyro indeed!
---
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#46 Posted: 22:41:24 25/05/2010
Yeah, like Zakeio said - I don't mind his compassionate side, but as his main trait.... Bleh. It was mostly Spyro's attitude and personality in the first game which prompted me to buy it in the first place.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
The Gunslinger Ripto Gems: 477
#47 Posted: 04:30:24 26/05/2010
A romance story between Spyro and a dragonfly that comes to a tragic conclusion on its wedding night could send Spyro off to convince himself that he is not a mindless killer. Hence he decides to take on the Dark Master, the evil of evuls to prove to himself that he's truly a good dragon and not a killer.

He also has to live with the fact that he is trying to defeat the dark master out of selfish reasons, not pure ones.
black dragon Ripto Gems: 2470
#48 Posted: 17:24:22 26/05/2010
Making the game go in a different way isn't a reason to cancel the movie. The movie was about LoS, not LoS + the next game.
#49 Posted: 19:57:41 26/05/2010
If they made a Spyro movie I think it should be the current Spyro.

@theGunsliger, that's actually pretty cool, though I'm not 100% on the dragonfly wedding idea. Perhaps he's just living a happy life with the other dragons, dragonflys and other creatures, despite his anger issues, until one day he gets super p*ssed for some reason and hurts/kills someone and is banished. Or he is framed for something he never did and is exiled. Once exiled he defeats Malefor to prove himself to be a good guy/exposes the real villain when he returns.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me