Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > I'd like to understand this..
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
I'd like to understand this.. [CLOSED]
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#1 Posted: 22:27:15 25/03/2010 | Topic Creator
There have probably been many topics on this, but i want to get my opinion in. I hope you don't mind..
Why DO people hate TLoS so much?? I think it was fantastic.
The original series...i used to love it as a little kid. But compared to the new Spyro, it's got no action. It's just collecting things and stuff. Don't get me wrong, of course i love the original Spyro. It's classic and i love it. but TLoS is perfectly good too.
It really wasn't that confusing. I got it perfectly fine, and i think they left out some things on purpose. I love having to actually figure certain things out. But then again, they might have left other things out on accident. Everyone makes mistakes. And, i don't see why people especially hate DotD. That was definitely my favorite game of all. The graphics were great. it was a little short, but i loved it. I don't think it was a bad plot at all. I can play and replay that game over and over again.
You can still enjoy the original Spyro. That's a classic, just go back and play it again, but obviously Spyro is in new hands. It's not going back, and that's definitely fine by me. The new games are amazing, in my opinion. I think they should definitely continue with the new Spyro.
From what i've read here, a lot of you liked the original, spunky spyro. Would you like TLoS if he was still a little spunky?? For me, that would make it complete. I guess i just don't like how people trash TLoS and say it sucks. I'm not aiming this at anyone at all in particular.
Basically, i just see it this way...They made a series of "Original Spyro"s...They stopped producing the games and sold him to Sierra. Sierra basically made it into a whole new game series with the same characters, reinvented.

Please, don't take what i said the wrong way. I'm a huge fan of Spyro, original and TLoS,and I respect your opinions and i hope you respect mine. i don't understand why people dislike the trilogy(which is what i typed this up to ask, basically)I want to know what you think and why.
Do you like TLoS or Original better??

Sorry for ranting on and on..and again, i hope what i've said doesn't make anyone mad for any reason.

*edit*And to add on to this...same thing goes for Cynder and people calling her "Mary Sue"...her favorite form was , as a matter of fact, in DotD(in my opinion) Come on, she isn't that bad. She's spunky.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:39:19 25/03/2010 by Darby
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#2 Posted: 22:30:08 25/03/2010
Thank you again.

And please for God's sake enough with this bloody Mary Sue crap!
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#3 Posted: 22:30:52 25/03/2010
I'm glad you made this topic. I don't understand why people criticize it so much either.
#4 Posted: 22:32:42 25/03/2010 | Topic Creator
I'm so glad to see people agreeing with me. After reading a lot of trash about the series, i wasn't sure if anyone would.
xx chloebabez Yellow Sparx Gems: 1087
#5 Posted: 22:37:26 25/03/2010
I love both Original Spyro and TLoS as much as each other, nothing against any of them. But there were a few mistakes in DotD that needed fixed, but i did like the game after all.

I think the reason for many fans on here liking the Original Spyro better is that its what Spyro started off as, they mabye grew up on the games and disliked the sudden change of amosphere to the Spyro games, we can safely say they are both very different style of games. It just depends in the style of Game the player likes better.

Very good point however.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#6 Posted: 22:40:21 25/03/2010
As much as Spyro has changed throughout the years, I still like playing BOTH the Old Spyro and the New Spyro. Some fans, old Spyro fans, criticize the new Spyro because of his "looks", the little mistakes made in DotD, and the "dark and serious" atmosphere of the trilogy.

I always wondered, instead of whining and complaining about the changes in our favorite game series that usual happen in every other game franchise, why not just say they're BOTH Spyro series in their own universes and move on?

And there are many reasons why Cynder in DotD is unfavored. Mainly because of the fantards drooling over her DotD design and bothers other fans about how "sexy" she looks. And her attitude suddenly changed in DotD, making her from remorseful to sudden change of spunk.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:46:46 25/03/2010 by Aura24
#7 Posted: 22:41:43 25/03/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: xx chloebabez
I love both Original Spyro and TLoS as much as each other, nothing against any of them. But there were a few mistakes in DotD that needed fixed, but i did like the game after all.

I think the reason for many fans on here liking the Original Spyro better is that its what Spyro started off as, they mabye grew up on the games and disliked the sudden change of amosphere to the Spyro games, we can safely say they are both very different style of games. It just depends in the style of Game the player likes better.

Very good point however.

That definitely makes sense. The old and new spyro are completely different types of games. The original was simpler and just not so complicated. TLoS is like a whole step up. I like both, for different reasons. Thank you
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#8 Posted: 22:42:37 25/03/2010
Crazily enough, when I first played ANB, I was sad that they changed Spyro's past and everything.

But I got over it, and saw that somehow, someway, Spyro was STILL there, and grew to like it.

I wasn't even a teenager then.
#9 Posted: 22:47:28 25/03/2010
Quote: Aura24
And there are many reasons why Cynder in DotD is unfavored. Mainly because of the fantards drooling over her DotD design and bothers other fans about how "sexy" she looks.

I do that as a joke. But I haven't done it here yet or Spyro forums but I have done it once or twice
---
#10 Posted: 22:49:26 25/03/2010
Your welcome :3 Its a reasonable explanation, but i bet if Original Spyro was brought back into the making, Original Spyro fans would still complain. They are called ''classics'' for a reason ya know, remaking Original Spyro would never be the same again.
#11 Posted: 22:52:28 25/03/2010
Yeah, and they would whine to Insomniac to make the games again. But it's been confirmed that there is no chance of them going back to Spyro. And even if Activision made an old Spyro game, it wouldn't have the same originality as the first three games had.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#12 Posted: 22:53:52 25/03/2010 | Topic Creator

And there are many reasons why Cynder in DotD is unfavored. Mainly because of the fantards drooling over her DotD design and bothers other fans about how "sexy" she looks. And her attitude suddenly changed in DotD, making her from remorseful to sudden change of spunk.

I see where that comes from. I guess people hate the change, which also goes for the change from original to TLos series.

Quote: IsisStormDragon
Crazily enough, when I first played ANB, I was sad that they changed Spyro's past and everything.

But I got over it, and saw that somehow, someway, Spyro was STILL there, and grew to like it.

I wasn't even a teenager then.

i accidentally deleted my post, don't ask..
When i first saw ANB, i didn't even bother to play it because it looked so different, but i gave it a chance and i LOVED it, and still do, obviously, to this day.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:57:15 25/03/2010 by Darby
#13 Posted: 22:56:38 25/03/2010
If this whining keeps up, the Spyro fanbase will be like the Sonic one before long...

*shudders*
#14 Posted: 22:59:15 25/03/2010
Exactly my point Aura, as much as i love Original Spyro, he belongs in the past now. There is a very small chance Insomniac will take Spyro back, but i dont really care. I doubt even them would be able to create another Original Spyro atmosphere (technology, graphics have improved e.t.c).
#15 Posted: 23:00:28 25/03/2010 | Topic Creator
If this whining keeps up, the Spyro fanbase will be like the Sonic one before long...

*shudders*

...and that would be because people who hate TLoS sooo much come waste their time trashing spyro ON a spyro site..i've never understood that. Hope that didn't offend anyone.
#16 Posted: 23:01:33 25/03/2010
And they go as far as making online petitions, thinking it would bring the old Spyro back. They're in a losing battle, and some fans are only giving other old Spyro fans false hope.
---
#17 Posted: 23:18:55 25/03/2010
Then that just proves their gullibility.
---
#18 Posted: 23:26:46 25/03/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: xx chloebabez
Exactly my point Aura, as much as i love Original Spyro, he belongs in the past now. There is a very small chance Insomniac will take Spyro back, but i dont really care. I doubt even them would be able to create another Original Spyro atmosphere (technology, graphics have improved e.t.c).

I completely agree with that. It could ruin the classics, which are better left alone. The new Spyro is great, anyway. I don't think it would be necessary to switch back to the old. In fact, I'd definitely prefer TLoS. It's great
#19 Posted: 00:58:53 26/03/2010
I also like both classic and tlos but I have a preference for tlos
---
#20 Posted: 00:59:54 26/03/2010
^Same here, actually.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#21 Posted: 01:06:34 26/03/2010
Quote: Apoc

Same, I like them both but i like the designs for TLOS better.
#22 Posted: 01:08:40 26/03/2010
Just to annoy the TLOS fantards I will cover Guide You Home and make it longer!
---
#23 Posted: 00:41:33 27/03/2010 | Topic Creator

^Same here, actually.

Quote: wspyro

Same here, as well. I definitely prefer TLoS. I love it. ut the classics are good too.

haha, i like that song actually,But it's not like I'm obsessed with it. lol
#24 Posted: 00:43:14 27/03/2010
Quote: Darby

^Same here, actually.

Quote: wspyro

Same here, as well. I definitely prefer TLoS. I love it. ut the classics are good too.

haha, i like that song actually,But it's not like I'm obsessed with it. lol

Oh believe me, with these guys, change ONE thing and they'll flip
---
#25 Posted: 00:48:03 27/03/2010 | Topic Creator
ha, oh geez, i'd like to see that
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#26 Posted: 01:49:20 27/03/2010
I thought ANB and TEN were fine. I just have a bone to pick with DotD because it was so... bleh. It was just not the right way to end the trilogy. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#27 Posted: 02:02:43 27/03/2010
I've got to say, for people who want to know why people don't like LoS, you guys are sure making it hard for those of us who don't like it to state our reasons. That first post reads like this to me:

"Why do you hate LoS? Since you hate it, your opinion is invalid. You should love it because of these reasons, regardless if said reasons are why you hate it."

Have you guys stopped to consider that some folks are tired of being hit over the head with LoS by its fans? I wouldn't hold quite as much against the trilogy if I weren't continuously running into people who start screaming every time I even hint that it's not the greatest trilogy of games ever made.

Anyway, as a former LoS fan, here are my reasons in brief and no particular order for going to the dark side and loathing these games:
* DotD was a giant letdown
* the fandom is petty and vicious
* I don't like what the games teach children
* Cynder's usurpation of the franchise is irksome
* LoS is what Spyro was created to parody
* seen/read the exact same story too many times
* too many annoying, pointless pop-culture references
#28 Posted: 03:10:56 27/03/2010
Quote: Razz
I've got to say, for people who want to know why people don't like LoS, you guys are sure making it hard for those of us who don't like it to state our reasons. That first post reads like this to me:

"Why do you hate LoS? Since you hate it, your opinion is invalid. You should love it because of these reasons, regardless if said reasons are why you hate it."

Have you guys stopped to consider that some folks are tired of being hit over the head with LoS by its fans? I wouldn't hold quite as much against the trilogy if I weren't continuously running into people who start screaming every time I even hint that it's not the greatest trilogy of games ever made.

Anyway, as a former LoS fan, here are my reasons in brief and no particular order for going to the dark side and loathing these games:
* DotD was a giant letdown
* the fandom is petty and vicious
* I don't like what the games teach children
* Cynder's usurpation of the franchise is irksome
* LoS is what Spyro was created to parody
* seen/read the exact same story too many times
* too many annoying, pointless pop-culture references

Well, call me a hypocrite if you want it makes no difference, I never said anything like that along those lines. If you don't like LOS well then that's fine with me, just don't come and start preaching on how great classic was because then I'll get a little pissed.

Yes I have considered it. But I have also considered the fact that LOS fans are tired of classic fans continuously bashing them over something so trivial. Which is true, it isn't the greatest trilogy ever made.

*So were the next games AFTER YoTD. Maybe a select few were decent.
*There are a few fans who aren't petty and vicious. But the fandom in general, yes I agree.
*What the hell ARE they teaching children that games like God of War, GTA IV and other games aren't teaching them now only ten fold?
*The franchise is still only based on Spyro. I will only be conviced that she "usurped" the franchise is when the next game is called Spyro & Cynder.
*How is it a parody?
*Just because something is unoriginal doesn't mean it's bad. Games like Diablo 2, Devil May Cry, God of War, Hellgate: London had similar stories and they're very good.
*Care to name a few examples?
---
#29 Posted: 05:41:04 27/03/2010
Aaaand there's my above point proved. That's cool that you like LoS. Trying to make me like it by telling me why the games I DO like aren't great in your opinion is not changing my mind. I gave you my reasons and I am not here to argue with you about them. If you like LoS, that's fine. I'm not here to change your mind. Please stop trying to change mine. I've played the games and been in the fandom for years, I know why I'm not a fan better than anyone else.

If anyone wants to legitimately ask me about why I don't like LoS and leave the bias at the door, I'd be happy to PM folks, but I have no intention of talking about it here because, as you can see, it will start drama.

As for those pop culture references, though, just listen to Sparx. At least half of what he says is a dated reference to something, if not his entire personality. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:43:03 27/03/2010 by Razz
#30 Posted: 05:48:19 27/03/2010
Look, we're all entitled to our opinions of LoS. Most of us like both Spyro series, and others can just hate the LoS for the change in atmosphere of the long-running franchise, the re-boot, or the simpliest mistakes that were made in the last chapter of the trilogy. If we can only agree that both series good in their own way and not fight over which is better, then there wouldn't be any flame wars or arguments I guess.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:49:27 27/03/2010 by Aura24
Skyqueen Emerald Sparx Gems: 3282
#31 Posted: 06:26:45 27/03/2010
I like both original and TLOS. :3 But I like LOS better, but don't get me wrong, I do really like original Spyro too.
---
N/A
#32 Posted: 07:51:44 27/03/2010
The people who hate LoS don't all hate it for being different from the classics. In fact, none of the reasons I listed have anything at all to do with the classics. I never compared the two and never will; they're very different games. The things I hate about LoS are all to do with the games themselves (and the fandom that has formed around them).

Of late, I've noticed that people who like LoS or who are in the middle tend to just shout down anyone who doesn't like it. Honestly, I think most old-school Spyro and non-LoS fans have simply vacated the fandom. They got sick of never having a chance to air their thoughts without someone starting a fight or just tired of the direction the fandom has gone in.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:02:51 27/03/2010 by Razz
black dragon Ripto Gems: 2470
#33 Posted: 14:37:39 27/03/2010
The old games and the newer ones both have different systems. I can totally understand as to why some people do not like it. Also it took away many of the old traditions. Such as unlimited Breath and the old appearance. Also they completely changed Spyro's personality. The newer ones had a bunch of plot holes in it, and over all it just seemed different. I personally enjoyed AHT and SL more than the TLoS series.

And as Razz said, TLoS fans tend to disprove of those who don't like the series, of their precious SpyroxCynder.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:43:14 27/03/2010 by black dragon
#34 Posted: 16:58:30 27/03/2010
Still, some of the old fans don't have to repeat their reason why they hate the LoS over and over and over again. It gets annoying. And they never stop ranting about the changes and let it go.
---
#35 Posted: 17:02:52 27/03/2010
Somebody wake me when people stop making argument-provoking topics like this...

ZZZZZZZZZZ...

(hint: Darby, close the topic if you please)
---
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#36 Posted: 18:17:11 27/03/2010
There are LOADS of reasons to hate LOS. I've an essay to write so I can't be bothered to write the mall here at this time. However, if I manage to get the time and inclination I'll do a thought out video rant on all there is to dislike about LOS and the good things about the classics.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
black dragon Ripto Gems: 2470
#37 Posted: 20:31:50 27/03/2010
SpyroLUVA you are just begging for a flame war.
#38 Posted: 22:04:16 27/03/2010
Still, some of the old fans don't have to repeat their reason why they hate the LoS over and over and over again. It gets annoying. And they never stop ranting about the changes and let it go.

I honestly haven't seen many LoS-haters posting in any topic that doesn't have to do with them and I think it's unfair that there is literally no place where they can express themselves. This topic specifically asked for their input, but even here (and from the outset) everyone is complaining every single time any of them says a word.
#39 Posted: 22:16:51 27/03/2010
A word.

DAMNIT, HIR. NOW YOU'VE DONE IT. You're trying to start another flame war aren't you?! >.<
---
Sakuyamon Blue Sparx Gems: 920
#40 Posted: 22:37:50 27/03/2010
I love the first original Spyro games mainly because they were my first games, and I would simply dislike TLoS for its take-over on the franchise.
But then why I hate (I know, it's a big word to use, but still...) it?

*In my opinion, the entire saga is just a rip-off about The Lion King and Harry Potter, two of my favourite things. I can give you proof, if you want.
*The most of the fandom. The MOST, not all of it. You can't even pair Spyro with another female character that isn't Cynder that the Cyntards flame you (I've seen this happen, luckily it still not happened to me)!
I understand, if you don't like something, don't look at it. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all, and if you still have to say that, say something of constructive. But if you flame, I'll ignore you. Keep flaming, and I'll start getting angry. And then they say they was just 'expressing their opinion'
*Cyntards. And I mean people who are obsessed with her and can't take even a critique on 'their' dragoness. Her adult!Form was pretty cool, I admit, but then she turned in what we call 'Dark!Sue'.
*The recolours. I mean, now that the TLoS games are out, I see TONS of recolours of official art. And it's a thing I really hate. Maybe this isn't an hate reason at all...
*Cynder's dubbing in my game version was so damn emotion-less. Ok, no apparent reason here.

(Lol TD;RL)
---
http://kaylathedragoness.deviantart.com/ (My Deviantart)
#41 Posted: 23:01:57 27/03/2010
Lion King and Harry Potter? Now that's quite funny.

The first 3 games were obvious Croc clones. But to avoid tl,dr I won't list them
---
#42 Posted: 23:38:34 27/03/2010
HIR: Bwahaha! smilie

Sakuyamon: Man, I feel you with the Cyndorks. I've been harassed, literally, by my fair share of them. They're fun (and easy) to troll, though. >D

I never noticed the Lion King/Harry Potter connection, but there's no question that LoS is a very derivative, cookie-cutter epic. I predicted everything that would happen in the trilogy (which was disappointing because I was hoping they wouldn't be THAT cliched with it) in large part because I've seen/read the exact same story a dozen times or more (it's especially derivative of the new Star Wars trilogy, but it cribs off Dragonlance (the game designers admitted this one) and LotR like nobody's business, too; but mostly, it's just A Hero's Tail and Shadow Legacy made faux epic and I've got proof). And I will personally throttle the first person who comes in whining "But ALL stories are derivative!" That is a giant load of dragon turds that I wish people would stop propagating. It's not true, it's a lazy argument, and it discredits the true imaginative power of humanity.

Er... *climbs off soapbox* smilie
#43 Posted: 01:00:38 28/03/2010
LoS was as predictable as the back of my ha... OH MY GOD WHEN DID THAT GET THERE?!

Just kidding, folks, it's only a cookie crumb! *noms* <.<;
---
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#44 Posted: 01:12:45 28/03/2010
Disclaimer

Personally, I don’t care if you disagree or agree to what I’m about to say for this topic. I really don’t, so if you get offend by what I say in this post, don’t post a response. If you agree about what I say in this post, good for you, I won’t reply back. If you have issues with what I said in this post, then PM me, I won’t bother posting any further in this topic, unless needed to. >!*This is all my opinion, not fact! Let that sink into your heads before you begin reading to what I have to say*!< . Also I apologize in advance if this starts a flame war. This was not my intention! One last note, this reply is a long one, 8 pages wroth I believe, so read at your own discretion, also It looks like I need more than one post ( 4 more to be exact, wretched character limit!)
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
#45 Posted: 01:13:10 28/03/2010
Rebooted = Segregation

This is one the biggest reason why I dislike the TLOS series. Its whole existence to me is a just like a wall, segregating old fans from new fans. It was crafted and built without our consent or agreement and has no purpose but to continue to tear each other further and further apart. Old fans cry out for quality nostalgic games again, and new fans cry out for the old fans to like TLOS.

Why? Why should the old fans stoop to such a level? Why are we the ones that are unfair? Why are we the ones being painted the oppressors and tyrants, while it was this series that started the whole damn thing to begin with?

This is what I mean; this is why I dislike TLOS. This didn’t happen until TLOS reared its ugly head with its so called “reinvention”. The only thing Activision invented was a way to get at each other’s throats. The problem being that old fans are stuck on the other side of the wall, the wastelands if you will. While the TLOS fans are in their closed society, filled with trees, warm sunlight and clean air, and unification… just like a utopia. Tch! How sad, a utopia is just a fancy name for hell. The old fans are stuck living off a dying land while the TLOS fans are stuck in an isolated bubble, like rats in a cage.

This was unsung, uncalled for, not needed… yet it’s here, festering like a wound…

Activision wanted to re-create the Spyro series for their own needs, not our needs, not for our enjoyment… they didn’t care from the start. I can take changing styles, I can take a new direction in storytelling, but once a company starts dinking around with the original characters personality… that’s when I start getting agitated.

Spyro, no… this, purple crocodile with horns and wings, that can breathe fire and other various breathes, is not the Spyro I know and grew up with. This purple reptile dares take the name of Spyro the Dragon… Spyro is not some fickle, drippy, goody-two-shoes, mindlessly obedient, Gary-Stu! He is a fiery vigilante, fearless, cocky, swashbuckler and has gumption to boot. He does things that he feels is right, not because others tell him its right. Sure the dragon elders told him to do this and that, but only because it would help him on his quest. Besides, at the time during the first game that was the goal to begin with, in later games, Spyro helped out people just because he felt it was right… and all he wanted to do was take a vacation.

Gary, or TLOS Spyro, is so fickle that one minute is this obedient little piece of crap, the next minute he is reluctant to follow orders… what the heck? What is this game teaching its targeted age group?

“You should listen to your elders, but when you start having strong feelings for someone that they disapprove of you shouldn’t listen them. It’s ok they will allow you to go after them anyway” … *shakes head*.

It boggles my mind how people can like Gary, it really does. I bet is only because he is voiced by a well-know actor. I guess that says that TLOS fans are pretty vain.

Some say I’m being unfair, just like a TLOS fan would say, I suppose. Unfortunately, TLOS fans, IMO, seem to be short sighted and narrow minded at times. Why should my opinion upset you so much, but yet I’ll allow your opinion to stand, despite if I disagree with it or not? TLOS fans say just as much hurtful and outlandish things to old fans just as much old fans do to them. Calling old fans “Not true Spyro Fans” just because they post their opposing opinions is very, very immature. How dare they play high horse on someone who has been playing these games series before they were even born or even heard of Spyro? They don’t even have to be just TLOS fans, it could be someone who played the original games in the first place and say such things.

Now do see what I’m getting at? No respect to the original fans is here in TLOS… They completely took everything that old fans liked about the original series and threw it all away. They tossed the original fans aside and basically said: “If you don’t like it our way then you can go and rot in the wastelands for all we care”. I rather rot away then be some mindless sheep!

No one can disagree with TLOS fans or your just a Spyro hater, is basically what people say when they attack an opposing opinion. Wake up! Nothing is perfect, not even TLOS… oh jeeze especially not TLOS… Allow people to have their opinions.

No matter what fandom you go to, no matter what forum, there were always be two opposing sides. And within those sides there will be “splinter groups” that makes each demographic look bad. In other words: It only takes one stupid person to ruin it all for the rest of us.
---
My Gallery
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:27:24 28/03/2010 by Zackeio
#46 Posted: 01:13:50 28/03/2010
Bigger isn’t always better & Spoon fed Story

TLOS tries to be this epic and big story that was supposed to appeal to both Adult and Kids. In other words the Developers and Produces wanted to do something that never yields good results. They try to make everyone happy, as it seems. By taking Spyro the Dragon and perverting him to some fantasy epic action flick. I didn’t ask for this, I don’t know what Spyro fan did. Do I mind, no, but when this is the outcome of it… yeah I do mind.

It wasn’t just the story that they tried to improve. They also thought the combat system from the original games was too boring… uh hello you’re a dragon! What the heck, what sane creature will go up against a dragon!? “Oh taking out your opponent with just a flame breathe is too easy”… again you’re a dragon! Do you know how hot a match stick gets? Do you know how hot a bon fire can get? If you stick your hand in a campfire, your hand will be cooked in like ten minutes. Now take that and put it in a creature that can do this every time it exhales… yeah you’d be dead in one shot too! My point is that Activision actually dumbed down the combat system and made it pointlessly complicated. Tell me this: How come when my fire breathe is at its max, how come a grunt can run straight through it and hit me? This is a grunt, a low level enemy and I can’t take care of it with one of breathes at full power? Ridiculous. At a low level, I can understand, but at max level, I should be able get rid of them in less than a second.

Activision made Spyro into some pointless beat’em up. There are times that I really yelled at my TV saying “Why I’m doing this! Why do I have to fight off this big wave of enemies? What point does this serve? ”. It’s pointless, it’s inconceivable, and it’s unbalanced. Gary can go through waves after waves after waves of enemies and not show any compassion for them or concern, yet when it comes to certain enemies (or in this case Cynder) he hesitates and doesn’t want to hurt them… just ugh!

And to make matters worse, Activision decided to play that old cliché, you know the one, you’re the chosen one and you’re the only you can save the world cliché. Now I wouldn’t mind this cliché… if this game actually had good storytelling. The whole TLOS story gags me with a spoon. It’s so stupid, so mundane, so redundant, clichéd, and above all just pointless. It tries so hard to be serious, but it ends up falling flat on its face. The thing is, because Activision rebooted the series and did something fresh, this means that players are viewing a blank picture. This means that the storytellers have to write up scenarios that will get the players to actually be immersed in the new world that they are trying to create. Did it work for me? Heck no. Considering that I can’t really talk to the inhabitants of each island/province, I can’t get a feel for the world that they live in. In fact I wouldn’t give two cents to care, seeing as soon as you complete a level your forced to go to the next one and there’s no time to just sit and observe, not like there isn’t a point too.

The inhabitants of each province are so one dimensional, there’s no point in even engaging them in conversation. It’s like with Sonic 06 NPC’s, they are so boring, so bland, I asked myself, why are you even in this game, your just a waste of polygons. But heck at least 06 had the decency to put in ambience, and heck at least you can actually talk to the NPC’s.
---
My Gallery
#47 Posted: 01:14:23 28/03/2010
Plot holes = Clashes with itself

Oh my gosh… there are so, so, so many plot holes that its mind boggling at times. It makes no sense how there can be so many plot holes in this game series. The plot holes in themselves make the entire series a joke. As an example:

In ANB, where Ignitus, Gary and Sparx were reopening the temple doors, the first door they come across needs to be opened by two statues that are located on the other side. Ignitus continues to explain that there is a small tunnel that leads to the INSIDE OF THE TEMPLE! STOP! That right there makes no sense. Why is there a tunnel leading into the Temple? See, now I know how the Dark Master’s Forces got in there. Here’s another one:

There are three doors that need to be opened in the temple. The first one Ignitus tells you that there are statues that need to be pushed in order to work. The second, Ignitus chants a spell that opens the next door, it does nothing. Ignitus tells Gary to open the door the old fashion way, which is to PUSH TWO STATUES IN PLACE! STOP! What was the point in spell? Why bother chanting if the door opens up via statues? Also, why are these door opened up by statues? Wouldn’t it all be via spells or a way that only a dragon would know? And again another:

When reaching the last door, Ignitus suggest they turn back; Gary is shocked, Ignitus continues telling Gary that the following door is LOCKED BECAUSE OF INTRUDERS! STOP! The last two doors are locked because of intruders. The first door was locked because Cynder’s forces knocked the statues out of place. The second door was locked for the same reasons. So why of all sudden am I being told this? Here’s another:

In DOTD, when Hunter, Gary, Mary (AKA Cynder), and Sparx reached Warfang, they are separated by a crumbling tower. Hunter tells Gary and Mary that THEY CAN’T COME THROUGH THIS WAY! STOP! Why? I can fly now remember? Last time I checked there are no air restrictions for a dragon. So why am I forced to travel on foot to reach Hunter? Also as a fun note, the area that Hunter ran into, is the same area that you fight the Green Troll later in the chapter, isn’t that just lovely. But wait there’s more:

In the same chapter as previously stated, Gary and Mary have to rescue a bunch of moles from a burning building. They can’t use the breathes to stop the fire, they can’t just fly up there to save them, they can’t just fly up the building and pound down through the roof to save them, no, they have to get BUCKETS OF WATER! STOP! And you wonder how I can’t take this game seriously. I’m a dragon, nay, I’m the savior of the world and I can’t save a bunch of “helpless victims” from a burning building with any of powers. What the heck!? What’s the point of this? Why am I forced to do this? Also, the building they are trapped in is no taller than two stories, aka 20 feet, that’s ridiculous. Jump out, hit the ground and start rolling if you somehow caught on fire. Oh but the fun doesn’t stop there:

In the same chapter while you are trying to save the moles, you are attacked by Dark Master Forces. Now take note of that. Once you saved moles you are given a cut scene showing the Dark Master Forces troops in a large mass with siege towers and other weaponry, MARCHING TOWARDS THE CITY TO INFLITRATE IT! STOP! Hello! You guys can burrow and reappear at any given moment. Why are they making such a big deal of storming through the gates of Warfang? What purpose does it have? And mind you, we already encountered Dark Master Forces in the city already. And it just keeps on coming:

In TEN, when Gary and Sparx are captured by the Scavengers and when they defeat Skabb for the first time, Gary and Sparx, chase Skabb via flight. As they are pursuing, Gary is being hailed by in coming cannon balls which, unfortunately miss him. From this point, GARY IS NOW CHASING SKABB ON FOOT! STOP! Why, again why!? Gain altitude or lower altitude, and continue chasing him through flight. Honestly is really jarring to see Gary just up and fly away, when I’m forced to do all that nonsense on foot. Seriously why does he bother continuing on foot? He doesn’t look tired when he does fly, and there’s no sound reason or explanation that tells the player why he does continue on foot. This brings us to one of my “favorite” plot holes:

During the events of ANB when Gary confronts Cynder (the badass Cynder, not that DOTD Cynder – Mary Sue) for the last time; Cynder reverts to her normal self, and convexity begins to implode. Cynder gets sucked into convexity with Gary going after her. GARY COMES OUT FLYING WITH CYNDER IN HIS CLAWS AND FLYS OUT OF CONVEXITY! STOP! What!? How!? How can Gary fly out while carrying Cynder? Cynder has to weigh as much as Gary does at this point. This produces, drag which is the force that slows down any flying object (That and gravity but). Now Convexity is capable of sucking in BOULDERS, how can Gary fly out of here? He has two opposing forces acting on him, Cynder’s weight and Convexity’s pull… *shakes head* just ugh!

There are more, oh boy are there more, but these are the ones that drive me the craziest.
---
My Gallery
#48 Posted: 01:14:50 28/03/2010
Closet sexist themes

This is, stupid! I’m not even female I find this to be so sexist. This makes me wonder how girls can like TLOS!? It gives females no or very little justice. Oh in case you haven’t figured it out by now, this little section is about Cynder or the Mary Sue of DOTD.

Cynder is the only female dragon in this entire universe… how!? How is that possible? This immediately and has proven to itself, makes the notion that Cynder and Gary are to be a couple… what!? Now I’m sure TLOS fans will bring up The Lion King, which mind you yes it was a good movie, but I did find that part to be… freaky. Now back on track here, how is it possible that there is only one female dragon in this universe? And how sexist is that that all the Guardians are Males… what? Oh come on, if you’re going to have Guardians one or two of them should be female. Nope, they’re all male, and they are the only dragons next to, Malefore, the Chronicler, and some NPC dragons which make no appearance in the first two games, that are here. My point is that, Cynder from the start, of this trilogy was nothing more than Gary’s squeeze toy.

As an example: When Gary first fought her, and she pretty much open up a can of butt whopping on him, Gary says that there is something familiar about her. Later when he actually defeats her; she converts to her true self… ugh! That’s just one thing that I realized… here’s another. Not only is Cynder the only female dragon in this world but she’s evil as well. Oh yeah, taking something out of the book of Genesis are we? Come on, I’ve heard that one before… don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that female characters don’t make a good villain (Kerrigan, Vertigo, The Sorceress, Maleficent, etc) but when she’s the only female in the entire world you just got to stop and think that this is so wrong. Gary who is male is beating up some female and then she later submits to this all male society… what!? NO! NO! NO! That is so------------------ wrong!

Activision didn’t even give Cynder another female character to bond with, or share female things with. This is so sexist, if not just stupid. She’s has no one to share about female things with, no one… and don’t give me this crap that the elders will provide information for her, or the Chronicler would do that. NO! In fact that’s disturbing if they did know, they don’t have estrogen pumping throughout their entire body on a daily basis, they wouldn’t know what that feels like, and frankly I don’t even want know … scary!

And it doesn’t stop there… oh boy. When Cynder is starting to leave the Temple, Gary tries to stop her, or tries to reason with her. Gary gives no indication of being concerned for what Cynder is feeling. All he says is that he doesn’t want her to leave. What? Oh yeah smooth move, why don’t you, I don’t know, say why she’s uncomfortable here, or say that she’s free to do as she wants. Personally if I was her friend I would say my two cents and let her choose what to do. If she’s feels that it’s best for her to leave, then I would suggest tagging along with her because I’m concerned for her here. This shows that despite what happened, someone actually cares for her, and is willing to support her (and yes me being a guy I can see how a female can take this the other way). I wouldn’t say that I don’t want her to go and provide no reason why.

It gets much worst in DOTD. In the start the game, Cynder decides to let Spyro lead, I ask, why? Cynder you lead an army that literally took over the four islands. Why are you submitting to Gary? Sure he defeated you, yeah big whoop-dee-do, and you submit to it what he says so easily. That drives me nuts! Why is she forced to be Gary’s side kick!? Now do you understand why I call her Mary in this game? But it doesn’t stop there; when the Golem comes after Gary and Mary for the last time in the first level, the Golem grabs Mary… *sigh* it be better if the Golem grabbed Gary! Yeah! That would’ve of been badass! Also just to show how inconsiderate Gary is towards Mary, when they are escaping, Hunter, Sparx, and Gary just jet out there leaving Mary behind to deal with Golem trying to grab her again! What the heck!? Honestly! Chivalry is DEAD in this game.

Oh, oh there’s more! Before the dam level, Mary gives out plan to Gary; Gary likes the idea, but its Gary, who explains this plan to the rest of the group… why!? Honestly why!? Why didn’t Gary just encourage Mary to say this to the rest of the group!? It gets worse from here.

When Gary and Mary defeat the Destroyer, it’s Gary who gets the praise. Towards the end of the game it’s Gary who has the most concern for not Mary, what the heck!? They completely ignored her presences in these parts. Man if I were Mary I’d be PO’ed right now! Oh but there’s so---- much more!

Before this, and mind you this is what really ticked off, when Gary and Mary met the hermit in Avalar, the hermit goes off putting down Mary that she will concede and be the dark master puppet again. Pretty much saying that since she’s a girl she has no power (I know that’s not what he really meant, or did he?). Gary makes a very weak attempt to protect her during this, and Mary doesn’t do much good for herself either. This is suggesting that Mary is too weak willed or doesn’t love herself enough to really stand up for herself, just what must female characters do in a male targeted series… *rolls eyes*. And lastly, this is what just makes literally throw my game controller across the room.

When Mary concedes to Malefore’s powers, Mary asks Gary why he isn’t fighting back. Gary says that Malefore has left nothing left for him to fight for. STOP! Ok, if this is a fight of who gets to mate with the female, then honestly Gary, you’re a wuss! But guess what Mary somehow breaks out of Malefore’s powers and goes to Gary’s side…. Why!? Gary wouldn’t fight you to save you from Malefore; he just sat there and gave up! What feelings does she have for him? How can she have feelings for him? I don’t know any woman who would fall in love with Gary… Just ugh!

That’s all the reasons why I dislike TLOS, well no not really, I could have added more but I think 6 pages worth of ranting is good enough. Also again, I’m not saying my opinion has to be law, I’m not saying I’m right; this is all what I FEEL. Don’t bother trying to convince me otherwise; honestly I don’t need a helping hand with that department.
---
My Gallery
#49 Posted: 01:15:28 28/03/2010
Too large to read. I'm sure somebody will come up with a counter argument.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:16:03 28/03/2010 by HIR
#50 Posted: 01:24:27 28/03/2010
Yeah, I wonder why there weren't any other female characters in LOS.
---
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me