Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Who hates Cynder? [Same reason]
First | Page 2 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6
Who hates Cynder? [Same reason] [CLOSED]
GoldenDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#51 Posted: 22:48:25 17/01/2010
Quote: IsisStormDragon
May I please ask just what makes Cynder a Mary Sue? Because I can't see it. Then again, my definition of a Mary Sue is someone who's 'god', which she was not...

I have to agree with you there.

Even though I dislike her looks in DotD, I still think that she has a heroic personality, not a "goodie goodie" one.
---
~Best friends 'till the end of time: GamingMaster_76smilie and Nicksmilie~
Everyone has a dark side. Whether or not you choose it is the question.
xx chloebabez Yellow Sparx Gems: 1087
#52 Posted: 22:49:50 17/01/2010
Probablly because some viewed her as 'hot', yet she had very powerfull elements and a determined and positive attitude. Not to mention turning to sassy and sarcastic.

Mabye the positive attitude was a good thing, and the elements wern't so bad. What just annoyed me was the rest of her attitude/personality and design.
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#53 Posted: 22:56:28 17/01/2010
Now, the sassy and sarcastic part of her personality is what annoyed me. I did find it amusing, but it wasn't her...
neonspyro Blue Sparx Gems: 651
#54 Posted: 23:14:32 17/01/2010
Hey she's hormonal, shes growing up along with Spyro, girls get a little sassy during thier teens, puberty etc smilie
---
Cynder loves Spyro! They're gonna have a happy family with cute little eggs :3 ITS NOT THE END!(I'm actually crying!My DA: Draconicmaster.deviantart.com
#55 Posted: 23:16:08 17/01/2010
Ha! So True!
---
Lord_of_Sheeps Gold Sparx Gems: 2352
#56 Posted: 23:18:24 17/01/2010
May I please ask just what makes Cynder a Mary Sue? Because I can't see it. Then again, my definition of a Mary Sue is someone who's 'god', which she was not...

What defines a Mary Sue is not just having Godly powers, but how every character (both main and minor) either falls madly in love with her/him or become instant friends even though they had done something terrible.

Like at the end of ANB, when Spyro defeats Cynder and rescues her from the vortex of doom and takes her back to the Temple, all of the guardians just seem to forgive her for what she did and invite her to stay at the temple?

I didn't mind how Ignitus acted towards her (because he's the kind and understanding father figure), but I was expecting more of a fight from either Terrador or Cyril againest letting Cynder stay because she was corrupted by darkness, who knows when she'd turn her backs on them and kill them when they least expect it.

Between the Guardians (and maybe even Spyro) and Cynder, they should have been suspicious of Cynder due to her past deeds and who she associated with.
#57 Posted: 23:23:34 17/01/2010
I wasn't saying just having godly powers, I was also meaning 'sinless', 'can do no wrong'. Honestly, what defines a Mary Sue today defines a lot of people... Not saying that to offend anyone, but it's true. Now, I do agree with you about Terrador and Cyril, but it seemed to me that if Ignitus said something, you don't question it... smilie And no, they did not 'instantly' become friends with her. Their behavior struck me as more 'Just act nice'...
#58 Posted: 23:41:37 17/01/2010
Quote: neonspyro
Hey she's hormonal, shes growing up along with Spyro, girls get a little sassy during thier teens, puberty etc smilie

Uhh...a little, disturbing. I'm in my teens, yet i dont act sassy most of the time. i just stick along with my personality. Cynder's was changed so suddenly....
#59 Posted: 23:44:05 17/01/2010
Myfic begins with the elders being suspicious of cynder and Spyro tries prove them wrong, thats what brings Spyro n cynder together in my fic. As Spyro is the first person to ever fight for her for no other reason than to help her. Since she was hatched she had never known kindness or friendship and Spyro gives this to her willingly, so they fall for each other. At first cynder doesnt know what love feels like etc and is confused and angry at first but Spyro puts her fears and misgivings to bed.
---
Cynder loves Spyro! They're gonna have a happy family with cute little eggs :3 ITS NOT THE END!(I'm actually crying!My DA: Draconicmaster.deviantart.com
#60 Posted: 00:14:08 18/01/2010
Yep! Spyro's just that good!
---
#61 Posted: 00:24:22 18/01/2010
@chloe: being trapped in a crystal for three years can do that to you, and waking up a teen, tied to another dragon at ten foot and being attacked by a 150ft monster when you wake up AND having to fight your previous master who enslaved you and knowing you'd caused the death of so many AND having to put up with Spyros bo at night since you can only get ten feet away i think we'd all be confused pissed and sacred lol smilie
---
Tango Gold Sparx Gems: 2076
#62 Posted: 15:30:48 18/01/2010
A mary sue is a perfect female charactor, they can be different. Some are sassy, some are damsels. Theire still sue's.

Sue's usually have loads of powers, or one ultra rare power.
Sue's are beatiful or sexy.
Sue's usually never make any mistakes.
Sue's usually are great fighters.
Sue's usually don't make much sense, like knowing how to sword fight when their a normal teenage girl who lives with their abusive parents.
Sue's usually have a tragic past.
Sue's nearly always fall in love with the hero.
Sue's are a lot of things.

I say "usually" because you can have different sue's.

Cynder has 4 elements, even though she's not suposed to be purple.
Cynder is both beutiful and sexy to lots of people.
She never makes mistakes.
Great fighter.
Her personality doesn't make much sense but I guess knowng how to fight might have come from gaul.
Has a tragic past.
In love with hero.

CYNDER IS A SUE!
Whitedragon Ripto Gems: 963
#63 Posted: 16:19:10 18/01/2010 | Topic Creator
I'm also sick of the Cynder copys. Is my fandragon the only one out of the Legend of Spyro universe and in the Orignal Spyro universe?
#64 Posted: 19:49:11 18/01/2010
Quote: Tango
A mary sue is a perfect female charactor, they can be different. Some are sassy, some are damsels. Theire still sue's.

Sue's usually don't make much sense, like knowing how to sword fight when their a normal teenage girl who lives with their abusive parents.

Great fighter.
Her personality doesn't make much sense but I guess knowng how to fight might have come from gaul.
Has a tragic past.
In love with hero.

CYNDER IS A SUE!

Is there such thing as male Sue or is it just females? Because gosh darn it, Captain Kirk from Star Trek sure comes across as a 'Sue', but no one says anything about him.
#65 Posted: 19:56:09 18/01/2010 | Topic Creator
Marty stu he his then.
Does anyone have a orignal Spyro character?
#66 Posted: 20:00:04 18/01/2010
I understand how much people dislike Sues, but every time I read about what a Sue is this is the impression I get:

EVERY. LITTLE. THING. MAKES. YOU. A. SUE.

I'm dead serious. *thinks for a minute* All the X-Men characters are Sues then... smilie
#67 Posted: 20:09:08 18/01/2010
It's gary stu! Not marty stu!
#68 Posted: 20:17:29 18/01/2010
What is wrong with a female character being a great fighter?

What is wrong with a female falling in love with the hero ( Cinderella/Prince Charming anyone?)?

And Cynder made mistakes, she just hid it. Ever wondered how the pirates caught her? She probably messed up somewhere.

Now, I understand the sword thing, but that's it.

What's wrong with a female character being beautiful ( I do have a problem with sexy, however)?

OH OH Writers can't give their characters tragic pasts? Depth has just died.

Again, why can't the female lead fall in love with the hero? *thinks of old Disney movies again*

A lot of things? Why not EVERYTHING then? I know! Let's make every character a train-wreck!
#69 Posted: 20:46:53 18/01/2010 | Topic Creator
Agreeable.
Lord_of_Sheeps Gold Sparx Gems: 2352
#70 Posted: 21:01:16 18/01/2010

There's nothing wrong with a female being a great fighter.

It's when the writer decides that she has these god like supernatural powers that either don't make sense or don't belong in the story or shouldn't be possible (by story cannon), or when she wins all the time and never gets seriously injured is when the character becomes over redundant.

Quote:
What is wrong with a female falling in love with the hero ( Cinderella/Prince Charming anyone?)?

Again, there is nothing wrong with the female falling in love with the hero.

However, if the writer fails to provide development between the two (such as simple dinner conversations, subtle flirting, ect.) and just have the hero fall madly in love with the female with no validated reason is another example of Mary-Suedrom.

A very good example of this is Spyro and Cynder, she just spills out a random "I love you" when through out the whole trilogy, you never once saw her or Spyro show interest in one another. (Bet my money some cyn/spytard is going to drop a spam bomb on me and go on an all out rant)

Quote:
And Cynder made mistakes, she just hid it. Ever wondered how the pirates caught her? She probably messed up somewhere.

Mary Sues can also become sudden damsels in distress in order for the hero to come rescue her and admit his "undying love" to her (which thankfully didn't happen with Spyro, thank god).

Quote:
What's wrong with a female character being beautiful ( I do have a problem with sexy, however)?

Nothing wrong with being pretty (though it would be a refresher to have a female lead that wasn't)

But again, it's when either the hero or any other male character starts swooning over her repetively that grinds peoples gears.

Quote:

A writer giving their character a tragic past is very tricky because so many writers have done this, that it's become something like a trend.

The only problem, and a major one at that, is that many times, the tragic characters "tragic" past becomes so over the top and ridiculous that it's down right laughable.

Quote:
Again, why can't the female lead fall in love with the hero? *thinks of old Disney movies again*

Most of Disneys' movies were based off old fairytales and bedtime stories you tell children when you tuck them into bed.

They're meant to give children something to dream and imagine about (brave knight rescuing the damsel from the evil beast, or how a kiss awakens the sleeping beauty) and many of those old fairytales also had a moral at the end that either refered to "Finding one's true love" or "All those who do good things will be richly rewarded."

Quote:
A lot of things? Why not EVERYTHING then? I know! Let's make every character a train-wreck!

Yeah, you do that then.

In the mean time I'm going to go off and whip my OCs into shape.
#71 Posted: 21:10:20 18/01/2010
I agree with what you said Lord_of_Sheeps. It's just that Tango's post was very incomplete and gave me the wrong impression ( meaning no offense to her). Now, I have one last thing to say about this Mary Sue argument:

What isn't a Mary Sue? Because it's getting very difficult to figure this one out, as it seems to me that the Book of Mary Sues says characters that are train-wrecks aren't Sue-ish... Hence my comment about making every character a train-wreck.

And I shall make my OCs the way they're supposed to be and not worry about people whose Sue-sensors are in overdrive.
#72 Posted: 21:22:43 18/01/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: Lord_of_Sheeps

There's nothing wrong with a female being a great fighter.

It's when the writer decides that she has these god like supernatural powers that either don't make sense or don't belong in the story or shouldn't be possible (by story cannon), or when she wins all the time and never gets seriously injured is when the character becomes over redundant.

Agreed

Quote:

Again, there is nothing wrong with the female falling in love with the hero.

However, if the writer fails to provide development between the two (such as simple dinner conversations, subtle flirting, ect.) and just have the hero fall madly in love with the female with no validated reason is another example of Mary-Suedrom.

A very good example of this is Spyro and Cynder, she just spills out a random "I love you" when through out the whole trilogy, you never once saw her or Spyro show interest in one another. (Bet my money some cyn/spytard is going to drop a spam bomb on me and go on an all out rant)

Quote:

Mary Sues can also become sudden damsels in distress in order for the hero to come rescue her and admit his "undying love" to her (which thankfully didn't happen with Spyro, thank god).

Quote:

Nothing wrong with being pretty (though it would be a refresher to have a female lead that wasn't)

But again, it's when either the hero or any other male character starts swooning over her repetively that grinds peoples gears.

Quote:

A writer giving their character a tragic past is very tricky because so many writers have done this, that it's become something like a trend.

The only problem, and a major one at that, is that many times, the tragic characters "tragic" past becomes so over the top and ridiculous that it's down right laughable.

Quote:

Most of Disneys' movies were based off old fairytales and bedtime stories you tell children when you tuck them into bed.

They're meant to give children something to dream and imagine about (brave knight rescuing the damsel from the evil beast, or how a kiss awakens the sleeping beauty) and many of those old fairytales also had a moral at the end that either refered to "Finding one's true love" or "All those who do good things will be richly rewarded."

Quote:

Yeah, you do that then.

In the mean time I'm going to go off and whip my OCs into shape.

Argeed (filler)
#73 Posted: 16:21:14 19/01/2010
You asked what made a mary sue, I answeared, you asked more questions but Lord_Of_Sheeps answered before me. Thank you Lord_Of_Sheeps for clearing that up.
Night Owl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1942
#74 Posted: 16:41:34 19/01/2010
I think she was awful in DOTD, but her design wasn't too bad, but she didn't have to be as thin as a stick. smilie In TEN she looked pale for a black dragon, and she was fat. smilie In ANB she was perfect. :3

All in all, I one third hate her, one third slightly dislike her and one third like her.
---
Back from hibernation.
#75 Posted: 17:10:58 19/01/2010 | Topic Creator
Agreed
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#76 Posted: 18:21:00 19/01/2010
Young dragons tend to be tubby when they're young, then they grow slim when they're teenagers. You can't blame TEN Cynder for that, Spyro was a little tubby too when he was young in ANB and TEN.

Still, DotD Cynder just isn't the Cynder we all know.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#77 Posted: 18:36:41 19/01/2010
The tubbiness makes em even cuter smilie
---
#78 Posted: 19:25:15 19/01/2010 | Topic Creator
I think Orignal Spyro was cutest
dragonboy135 Blue Sparx Gems: 712
#79 Posted: 22:16:41 20/01/2010
i think cynders a pretty good character although i like her evil form a hell of a lot more. (i dont know why smilie)
---
is it possible that you can move the world... is it possible to jump the stars...... is it possible... that im thinking? smilie OMG thats new!!!
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#80 Posted: 22:30:47 20/01/2010
Quote: Aura24
Young dragons tend to be tubby when they're young, then they grow slim when they're teenagers. You can't blame TEN Cynder for that, Spyro was a little tubby too when he was young in ANB and TEN.

But how do you KNOW that for certain? I mean, she was a puppet throughout ANB, and those memories had completely scarred her thoughts and personality throughout TEN. Quite obviously, the three year "sleep" may have given her mentally the opportunity to think over what she had done and come to gripes with her issues. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#81 Posted: 22:40:40 20/01/2010
Yeah, but her personality was so sudden, without any explanation.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#82 Posted: 06:10:06 21/01/2010
What bugs me is that I find it very hard to believe that a sad character would suddenly go all sassy, and sarcastic... It's just very hard to believe, because I'm used to her being 'not so happy'. I miss her other personality.

Quote: Whitedragon
I'm also sick of the Cynder copys. Is my fandragon the only one out of the Legend of Spyro universe and in the Orignal Spyro universe?

My is in TLOS universe, but he doesn't like like Cynder, or Spyro.....
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:16:35 21/01/2010 by DarkCynder_543
#83 Posted: 06:14:25 21/01/2010
Yeah, they should've had her old personality first then slowly develop it into that sassy attitude when Cynder felt that she needs to fight against Malefor.
---
Zithdaitoh Diamond Sparx Gems: 9603
#84 Posted: 06:16:11 21/01/2010
Yeah, they should've had her old personality first then slowly develop it into that sassy attitude when Cynder felt that she needs to fight against Malefor.

I agree. That would have been better. Just having her personality suddenly change makes no sense...
---
OBSERVE MY WRATH: OOPS. *tree blasts off*
"You think you have authority over me? How foolish."
*looks at Platinum Sparx status* I feel old.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#85 Posted: 06:31:56 21/01/2010
Quote: Tango

Great fighter.
Has a tragic past.
In love with hero.

CYNDER IS A SUE!

Oh crab cakes.... Looks like one off my characters is half a marry-sue then.... <.>

Yeah, that would off been better. I probably wouldn't off even reconise (sp?) the personality change if it changed that way, until I suddenly play TEN again.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
BEST FAN EVER Gold Sparx Gems: 2194
#86 Posted: 06:44:38 21/01/2010
I hate characters that are mary sues. especially characters that are WOW, I'VE GOT EVERY POWER
---
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it then copy and paste this in your signature.
#87 Posted: 19:19:03 21/01/2010
Quote: HIR

But how do you KNOW that for certain? I mean, she was a puppet throughout ANB, and those memories had completely scarred her thoughts and personality throughout TEN. Quite obviously, the three year "sleep" may have given her mentally the opportunity to think over what she had done and come to gripes with her issues. <.<;

I agree with HIR on this one. It is possible.
Zxva The Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 982
#88 Posted: 19:55:56 21/01/2010
Well another "topic war" abouth Cynder how nice smilie
(Just for the title "Who hates Cynder?" I don't)
#89 Posted: 21:43:10 21/01/2010 | Topic Creator
When I first joined this site I didn't know who Cynder was.
BlinktheCookie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3556
#90 Posted: 22:31:42 21/01/2010
Quote: DarkCynder_543
What bugs me is that I find it very hard to believe that a sad character would suddenly go all sassy, and sarcastic... It's just very hard to believe, because I'm used to her being 'not so happy'. I miss her other personality.

In my AU she's "not so happy" but instead of a moping wad of guilt, she's irratable and rebellious and Spyro is more like a guy friend to her whom she's SLOWLY forming a relationship with.
ConvexitySpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1018
#91 Posted: 09:31:56 23/01/2010
In DotD Chronicler just sayed something ''purple dragon can wield many abilities what others cannot. Other dragons can master one element, purple dragon can master four of them.''
What is the idea in 4 elements for CYNDER? smilie
She's not purple dragon.
---
It's not a lake, it's an ocean.
My deviantART
smiliesmilie Best buddies forevah! \o/
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#92 Posted: 09:37:35 23/01/2010
Quote: ConvexitySpyro
In DotD Chronicler just sayed something ''purple dragon can wield many abilities what others cannot. Other dragons can master one element, purple dragon can master four of them.''
She's not purple dragon.

It is abilitty, she become purple when she get them...
---
Keep smile
#93 Posted: 16:25:53 23/01/2010
But she's not a purple dragon. EL screwed up with her scale color when they were rushing to make DotD.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:45:02 23/01/2010 by Aura24
#94 Posted: 16:48:28 23/01/2010
But she's not a purple dragon. EL screwed up with her scale color when they were rushing to make DotD.

It does not depends on color of scales, but color of heart...
---
Keep smile
#95 Posted: 16:59:52 23/01/2010
Quote: matesds

It does not depends on color of scales, but color of heart...

Well, they said in DotD that she was merely unusually gifted with four elements, but she isn't purple, because unlike Spyro who can (hypothetically) master an infinite number of elements, Cynder will only EVER have four.... Period.....

LOOK........... CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---
#96 Posted: 17:23:22 23/01/2010
She's not purple dragon.

We all know that isn't true, but if it was true, it would be a major plothole, seeing as Cynder was originally a Black Dragon.
#97 Posted: 18:45:37 23/01/2010
Quote: xx chloebabez
She's not purple dragon.

We all know that isn't true, but if it was true, it would be a major plothole, seeing as Cynder was originally a Black Dragon.

I just tried to solve it! It should be plausible if "Purple dragon" is "just" abilitty... Think about it a little!
---
Keep smile
#98 Posted: 19:43:27 23/01/2010
Cynder's a BLACK dragon. Period. She got her powers because she was corrupted by Malefor. End of story.
---
#99 Posted: 20:18:55 23/01/2010
Purple is I magical variation, perhaps being trapped in a crystal made from the purple dragons energy gave her the ability to retain 4 elements hm? has anyone thought of that? maybe his affinity for the elements leeched into her while they were together in the crystal
---
#100 Posted: 20:26:33 23/01/2010
That could be possible.

But *gets flame retardant suit*

I can smell the flamers already.
---
First | Page 2 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me