Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Will The Spyro Franchise History Repeat Itself?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Will The Spyro Franchise History Repeat Itself? [CLOSED]
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#1 Posted: 00:56:31 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Okay, so here's a brief description of the life of the Spyro franchise:

Three games which began the series made by Insomniac.
Insomniac ran out of ideas, and Spyro was sold to Universal/Vivendi.
Spyro became obscure after a few GBA only games were released.
Then, Vivendi trusted Check Six with Spyer and the glitchiest Spyro game of all time, Enter the Dragonfly was released. Many fans lost failth in the franchise.
Then Eurocom made A Hero's Tail. Many fans feel very differently about this game. Some love it, others hate it, some even call it Spyro's last decent game.
Then The Legend of Spyro begins with A New Beginning, made by Sierra. The Legend of Spyro was called a reboot of the series, almost like the whole thing started over. (See first sentence)
Then LOS was continued with The Eternal Night.
Finally came Dawn of the dragon. Like a Hero's Tail, this was recieved very differently by different fans. Some hate it, some love it, some say it ruined the whole LOS trilogy, and others have lost faith in the Spyro franchise.

My theory is this: Now that Sierra and Activision have merged, and a movie is supposedly on the way, will they attempt to make another Spyro game this year, and conequently will the game be utterly foul? (Could someone tell me if there was mention of Enter the Dragonfly a decent amount of time before its release so I can improve my theory?)

And if the game is just plain bad, will Activision give up on Spyro? (I hear they are all about the profit when it comes to thier games) Will second rate handheld only games be produced as a result? Will Spyro be sold again? If so, will the game be revamped once more, regress back to the classics, or will they attempt to continue where LOS left off?

What do you think?
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 01:09:04 03/09/2009
They already confirmed that the next Spyro games will be set in the LoS universe, since the purpose of the trilogy was to re-create the world and the characters. Activision hasn't done anything to Spyro yet.

Off topic: Is this topic about anything DotD-related? If it's talking about the other Spyro games or the franchise itself, then it should be in the General section. Just saying.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:17:49 03/09/2009 by Aura24
Doppel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1244
#3 Posted: 01:24:14 03/09/2009
Yet another SpyroLUVA attempt to inject Old Spyro.

Get this::

OLD SPYRO WILL NOT COME BACK.
Cynder_Rox Gold Sparx Gems: 2322
#4 Posted: 02:09:55 03/09/2009
Spyro's dead. In both heart, mind, and industry. The next Spyro game will never come.
#5 Posted: 02:18:52 03/09/2009
Well, someone's seems negative today...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#6 Posted: 02:35:13 03/09/2009
I still don't understand the mindset of Bobby Kotick and Activision. Sierra published several awesome games (like the King's Quest series) and had a few good ones on the way (BrĂ¼tal Legend). But they decided to scrap these series and instead kept the sub-par/mediocre Spyro & Crash franchises. Their warning to Sierra was that if Spyro & Crash couldn't meet certain sales standards, they'd get the axe.

I think that somewhere out there, a third-party company exists that could do good with the Spyro franchise. But Activision Blizzard is not, in my mind, the company to take Spyro "under its wing." If I were Sierra, I'd sell the franchise now that my "precious reboot trilogy" ended and beg Activision to let me help out in the next Call of Duty installment. *shot* <.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
JAK Emerald Sparx Gems: 3034
#7 Posted: 02:39:19 03/09/2009
This is a good topic. It kinda strikes an interesting point.

That ANB would be re-released under a rush job to beat the movie out.
---
Don't mess with JAK
#8 Posted: 11:37:45 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Doppel

Uh, no it isn't. I just suggested that as a possibility. Really, anything could happen.

I like your Idea HIR. And thanks JAK, but I wasn't suggesting a re release of ANB, I meant a whole new game, a continuation picking up where DotD left off. Though maybe they would release a game about the movie. My dad and brother think so. Could you imagine?! A game about a movie about a game! That's just lazy! Unless they correct all the mistakes of LOS...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:41:41 03/09/2009 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
xx chloebabez Yellow Sparx Gems: 1087
#9 Posted: 12:01:01 03/09/2009
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
Quote: Doppel

Uh, no it isn't. I just suggested that as a possibility. Really, anything could happen.

I like your Idea HIR. And thanks JAK, but I wasn't suggesting a re release of ANB, I meant a whole new game, a continuation picking up where DotD left off. Though maybe they would release a game about the movie. My dad and brother think so. Could you imagine?! A game about a movie about a game! That's just lazy! Unless they correct all the mistakes of LOS...

actually a game about the movie would be good. smilie
#10 Posted: 12:18:42 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Biut the movie is about a game! The movie will be repetitive since most of the ppl who watch it will be Spyro fans, and another ANB game would be even more repetitive.
---
#11 Posted: 12:20:35 03/09/2009
^ oh yeah! i never though of that. but if the movie had a different storylin from any of TLOS games, a game would be good.
#12 Posted: 13:33:22 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Yeah I agree...
---
#13 Posted: 17:06:22 03/09/2009
I don't want there to be a game about this so-called movie, which is about a trilogy of games in the first place. That's definitely making for a paradox and a headache. @.@
---
#14 Posted: 18:14:22 03/09/2009
SpyroLUVA, if this topic is about the next Spyro game or something like that, shouldn't this be in the General section, and not in the DotD section?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:32:10 03/09/2009 by Aura24
#15 Posted: 18:28:48 03/09/2009
Quote: Aura24
Well, someone's seems negative today...

I'm pessimistic. Get used to it and the truth.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:29:21 03/09/2009 by Cynder_Rox
#16 Posted: 18:31:42 03/09/2009
But, there are going to be more Spyro games. They confirmed it.
---
#17 Posted: 18:35:45 03/09/2009
But, there are going to be more Spyro games. They confirmed it.

Have you seen the way Sierra is handling things? Unless they change the Spyro games or sell it off it's getting the boot.

A recession and bad games just DO NOT mix...
#18 Posted: 19:01:07 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
I agree with HIR (again) and Cynder_Rox's last post. Feel free to ask dark52 to move this topic for me Aura24.
---
#19 Posted: 19:09:10 03/09/2009
But they haven't done anything to Spyro that will make him return the franchise to its roots or not. Most of us are positive that they'll continue the Spyro games in the LoS universe, plus they're keeping quiet about Spyro for a while until the time is right to give out info.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:11:12 03/09/2009 by Aura24
#20 Posted: 19:37:46 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
I know that.
---
#21 Posted: 20:46:47 03/09/2009
But they haven't done anything to Spyro that will make him return the franchise to its roots or not. Most of us are positive that they'll continue the Spyro games in the LoS universe, plus they're keeping quiet about Spyro for a while until the time is right to give out info.

Continue in the LoS universe...? Ooooh, tsk, tsk. That's a bad move.
#22 Posted: 21:00:49 03/09/2009
The LoS trilogy was made in order to recreate the world of Spyro and its characters; a reboot of the Spyro franchise. It wouldn't make sense if they suddenly went back to the Old Spyro if the fans are already used to and like the new Spyro.
---
#23 Posted: 21:07:59 03/09/2009
The LoS trilogy was made in order to recreate the world of Spyro and its characters; a reboot of the Spyro franchise. It wouldn't make sense if they suddenly went back to the Old Spyro if the fans are already used to and like the new Spyro.

The new Spyro has done horribly. It would be foolish to continue it since we already know what the out come is.

I've said it before, the only way they could continue with it is if the took it in a new direction.
#24 Posted: 21:16:02 03/09/2009
Not by making a Spyro game with a sudden new universe. It's your opinion that the new Spyro has done horribly, and by the looks of the franchise, they'll be likely to continue on with the new universe of LoS.
---
#25 Posted: 21:36:54 03/09/2009
Not by making a Spyro game with a sudden new universe. It's your opinion that the new Spyro has done horribly, and by the looks of the franchise, they'll be likely to continue on with the new universe of LoS.

i enjoyed TLOS. and you right, they probabbly will continue with that universe as the games were a success. but thats if they do.
#26 Posted: 21:59:46 03/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Cynder_Rox

The new Spyro has done horribly. It would be foolish to continue it since we already know what the out come is.

I've said it before, the only way they could continue with it is if the took it in a new direction.

I like that idea but I think Aura24 is right. I'm hoping though that Spyro does badly in the sales, gets sold and the next maker does another change.
---
cynder21 Gold Sparx Gems: 2214
#27 Posted: 00:09:14 04/09/2009
they probaly will make more in LOS and if they sell spyro it will still probal;y take place in LOS universe, but what if they sell it and the game turns out to be worse than ETD? i wish insomniac could take spyro back, buts that not happening but they could even make LOS games even better :/
---
This old place has changed too much
BlackDragonAJ89 Green Sparx Gems: 480
#28 Posted: 01:09:42 04/09/2009
Uh, just because it's set in the LOS universe doesn't mean they can import things from the old universe in a la like with Hunter or make shout outs and references.

As for Sierra, sadly I say:

1979-2008. May you rest in peace.

You know, if I could get enough knowledge about 3D games and programing, I could just build my own dang Spyro game for everyone. Of course, I'd get the ***** out still even though I'd mix everything from old and new and in between together... >.>
---
"Never argue with a fool; some people can't tell the difference."smilie
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#29 Posted: 02:35:04 04/09/2009

Well, the smart thing to do would be to sell the franchise to a decent 3rd party development team. Maybe Spyro should go back to being a one-console exclusive game, so that way they could focus on refining the heck out of LoS Spyro's notoriously poor control schemes.

The heck with it, I want Sony Computer Entertainment of America publishing the next Spyro game, not Activision! >.<
---
#30 Posted: 04:27:49 04/09/2009
Sorry, economy sucks right now. So we're stuck with LOS or else kill the franchise... =/
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#31 Posted: 04:56:28 04/09/2009
I'll take "Or Else Kill the Franchise" for 200, Alex. *brick'd for stupid reference*
---
Feral_Miskunn Blue Sparx Gems: 976
#32 Posted: 12:26:57 04/09/2009
another game will be made if not now then in a hundred years time like the pattern it already came with.
then a gap
1 crap one no ones impressed
1 that picks up interest
that everyone suddenly get exited
1 is ok but people want something slightly different
1 thats good but open ended
?
movie
two paths...
1. death
2. rebirth and more interest
---
Faith Hope Love and the greatest of these is Love
#33 Posted: 13:31:46 04/09/2009 | Topic Creator
That's basically what I suggested Feral_Miskunn.

What games has Sony Computer Entertainment of America made HIR?
---
AssassinTyler Ripto Gems: 400
#34 Posted: 14:21:40 04/09/2009
Spyro's dead. In both heart, mind, and industry. The next Spyro game will never come.

and this is the part where i destroy you with a barrarge of gun fire
#35 Posted: 14:38:36 04/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Yes, they lived in DotD, but how???
---
Giveitup13 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1004
#36 Posted: 16:54:21 04/09/2009
Good question.
---
Signature?I'm too lazy to type one.
#37 Posted: 16:54:44 04/09/2009
Quote: AssassinTyler

and this is the part where i destroy you with a barrarge of gun fire

SAKURAI: (laughs)

WRIGHT: You know, everyone has a little narcissism in them; I make a game that appeals to that little bit of narcissism.

Yeah Will, I'm sure you do that... but I think some other games can appeal to it too...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#38 Posted: 17:15:35 04/09/2009 | Topic Creator
What do you mean AJ?
---
#39 Posted: 18:24:14 04/09/2009

They don't make the games. They're the Western division of the publishing studio for games exclusive to PlayStation consoles.

They published the original Spyro trilogy and are in charge of PlayStation exclusive games made by Western development teams such as Ratchet & Clank, the Uncharted games, and inFamous to name a few.
---
#40 Posted: 20:46:40 04/09/2009
What do you mean AJ?

Narcissism = Extreme egotism that is so bad, you literally believe that the world owes you everything and that you make the world go 'round.

Note that not everyone is a narcissist when I say this because of what Will Wright said to one of the reviewers about his games; we all have some narcissism in us, it's what gets us out of bed so to speak. But those who are really bad about are true narcissists.

To give a good example of where one can find the extreme egotism/narcissism, just go to DeviantArt... Seriously, there's a reason why stamps, fan art, fan fiction, yoai, yuri, and such got popular in the first place there; people who had such enormous egos made sure to shove it into everyone's face that it eventually evolved into the norm.

You should also see the TVTropes article "Small Name, Big Ego" and the Wikipedia articles over Narcissism for better info. It's why we've been involved in our nasty divorce so long...

Oh well, better get back on topic...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
BlinktheCookie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3556
#41 Posted: 23:39:20 04/09/2009
Wow, AJ is full of Smarties...

I'm one of those who theorises that they will keep the old "three games to an era" tradition and probably do something completly different.

Honestly, I want a handheld Spyro game like SOI, SOF, or AOTR instead of the crappy side-scrolling handhelds of ANB, OTCC, and TEN. I'm one of those who likes to play games you can actually take with you
#42 Posted: 02:04:32 05/09/2009
To be honest, I really didn't like any of the handheld versions of Spyro. Just never played right in my opinion. Maybe the one for DS wasn't awkward, but the GBA ones were...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#43 Posted: 02:05:14 05/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR

They don't make the games. They're the Western division of the publishing studio for games exclusive to PlayStation consoles.

They published the original Spyro trilogy and are in charge of PlayStation exclusive games made by Western development teams such as Ratchet & Clank, the Uncharted games, and inFamous to name a few.

I know that Chris and Mike made LOS and worked for Sierra who published it, but why have Sony Computer Entertainment publish the next games? They probably won't have anything to do with the game other that its publication, right? I know some of the games they have published were good, but that was not thier fault, was it? That was the fault of the maker of the game, right?

I understand what you're saying AJ, but what does that have to do with this topic, and who is Will Wright? I agree with you that the GBA Spyro games weren't good.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:08:31 05/09/2009 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
#44 Posted: 05:11:20 05/09/2009
Sierra dictated how most of the game went. They were one of those few publishing companies that actually got involved with the game in some way, shape, or form. Activision Blizzard hardly involves themselves with most of the games they publish. The exceptions are Call of Duty and Guitar Hero. SCE does a decent job overseeing the publishing of the games... especially considering they're an electronics manufacturer and not a strictly video game company. I want them publishing the next Spyro because I would rather Spyro be an exclusive game again. In case you didn't notice, Spyro games have generally been better when they've been exclusives for particular consoles (only exceptions are Fusion and Shadow Legacy). I also think Spyro would fit better on the PlayStation, which is the control scheme Spyro games seem to be the best with.
---
#45 Posted: 05:40:51 05/09/2009
However HIR, you keep forgetting the key player that keeps all that happening:

CRAPPY ECONOMIC SITUATIONS.

Right now, as nice sounding as an console exclusive is, it really doesn't work. Had Spyro had some more years behind him and had a truly devoted fanbase (which with all the fighting over LOS and the old ones and such, it's non-existent) , then maybe. But hell, Metal Gear is an old franchise, over 20 years old, and it's still console flipping.

In my view, I'd rather have titles like Spyro be third party and multiconsole as opposed to a single console 1st party. Let's face it, while a nice new PS3 would be a great partner for my Wii on the shelf, I got college tuition, and most importantly, I have to put food on the table and have a roof over that table, and being that I have to be stuck in Crapsack land California, it's completely impractical to buy another console just for one or two games. And I'm not the only one having to do that...

Frankly, I could really care less "who's the true game company" at this point in time; technically in my opinion, all the good game companies died after the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis was created and gaming was all about marketing schemes, corruption, and slamming people down in the consumerism world (sure, Sierra, Blizzard, and Maxis were still making decent stuff, but they got picked off one by one).

Also note that Sony's unneeded features in the PS3 are what's bringing down. Most people are willing to pay $150 for a game console that's decent, but not $300+. Also, the DVD/BLU-RAY player and many other of the extra gadgets crammed into the system are a total waste because people already have those things (You can get a good DVD player these days for $20; and a BLU-Ray for around $50). So really, Sony's digging their own hole here.

And take note of this (especially if you hate Micro$oft and Wal-Mart, who may fuse to become the Buy N Large or Umbrella Corp.), there's this supposed program being developed by Microsoft that will scan body motions and your physique to control the game... so there went the Wii's innovation...

I guess the only thing I can do is move forward... hey, at least we still have things Linux, MAC, and Unix trying to stir some competition...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
AssassinTyler Ripto Gems: 400
#46 Posted: 15:39:30 05/09/2009
i make the world go round...with a very big wheel...some times it squeaks
#47 Posted: 17:36:18 05/09/2009
Yes, yes, the recession is hitting the video game industry quite hard. Even sales of Wiis are down. ^.^
---
#48 Posted: 18:21:28 05/09/2009 | Topic Creator
Its hitting EVERYWHERE like a ton of bricks!
---
BlinktheCookie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3556
#49 Posted: 19:24:54 05/09/2009
Quote: HIR
Yes, yes, the recession is hitting the video game industry quite hard. Even sales of Wiis are down. ^.^

Does that mean Wiis will be cheaper?
#50 Posted: 21:38:46 05/09/2009
Wiis are already the cheapest thing out there that's not a handheld. <.<;
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me