Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 4 of 5 | Last
1 2 3 4 5
DOTD Overrated? [CLOSED]
BlackDragonAJ89 Green Sparx Gems: 480
#151 Posted: 23:15:47 24/03/2009
For every one person that I know that knows who Spyro is (the main character, at least), there's about 9 who don't even know what Spyro is.

I think even Starfox might be more well known than Spyro.
---
"Never argue with a fool; some people can't tell the difference."smilie
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Ratchet Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#152 Posted: 09:30:43 25/03/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: BlackDragonAJ89
I still disagree with you on the parts about Copeland.

First off, have you heard the term "smiling for the camera?" Yeah, I'm pretty sure that especially during the 90s that I would really want to work on something rather childish when the rest of my career was really successful being in a rock band, a rather well known rock band if that. Also, how in the heck could he do his job? I mean he was working for a near mega corp and he got stuck using Garage Band (remember, Sony had invited the CD, so they were rather not having to worry about money, and I'm pretty sure that Insomniac was getting enough money from Sony to invest into better programing). Seriously? Just how in the heck do you put up with that?

I mean if Maxis (even without working for EA) could hire an orchestra, why couldn't Sony provide better equipment?

Firstly, as I've said, we cant really read stewart copelands mind. And as He accepted the interview and said a whole lot of positive things about working with spyro and such, theres more evidence that Stewart liked working with Spyro, even if you think that he thought it was childish.
Also, if you look at Stewart Copelands own website, theres a picture of Spyro and out of all the soundtracks he worked on over the years chose to put Spyro on his live radio. I think hes pretty PROUD of Spyro!

Quote:
Also, I haven't seen any of those magazines, so therefore, it doesn't really matter; people still don't see the games.

How can you be sure that there were bundles of magazines with Spyro plastered on it in the 90s if you cant see the magazines these days.

Quote:
And while you brought up the arcade; the reason why I think it's the best is because it was a really large-scale social medium. Nobody cared all that much for story there, it was basically all about your skill on the game, scores, playing with other players, and atmosphere. I guess it seems here that most people here were too doped up on their N64s/Playstations to go to the remaining arcades and actually have a good gaming experience. But what am I saying? I've played so many different kinds over the years that everything's just one big blur.

And I have nothing against the Arcade era. I agree, it was probably the best. But as I was saying, you cant judge a game by its story.

Quote:
So if the original Spyro's were so good as you're telling me, then why hasn't gaming history marked them for anything? If you ask anyone on the street that didn't know you, and you asked them "who's the first character you think of when you think of video games", chances are it's going to be Mario, and maybe Sonic. In fact, the only games most people will probably know of will be Mario, Sonic, Halo, Zelda, Everquest, Pac Man, Final Fantasy, and sometimes Sim City (but more or likely the Sims).

Yes but I'm sure that when most gaming fanatics say "spyro" they mean the PS1 ones. Spyro isn't one of the bes games ee, but it is better than TLOS.
#153 Posted: 19:57:30 25/03/2009
Quote: Ratchet
Firstly, as I've said, we cant really read stewart copelands mind. And as He accepted the interview and said a whole lot of positive things about working with spyro and such, theres more evidence that Stewart liked working with Spyro, even if you think that he thought it was childish.
Also, if you look at Stewart Copelands own website, theres a picture of Spyro and out of all the soundtracks he worked on over the years chose to put Spyro on his live radio. I think hes pretty PROUD of Spyro!

I still doubt it though; working as a video game musician is a pretty tough and a backhanding job; the game company will screw with you quite a lot with everything (I've dealt with it before with a small indie company; it's not fun, especially if you never get allowed to see the game) If you read from most developer interviews and blogs as well as general game development advice, you'll often find that the musicians are view more like property than people, and that the stuff you do is completely "optional". But of course, because the company wants you to make them money, you HAVE TO act all happy for whatever you do, no matter how screwed over you get. I'm pretty sure he doesn't really care all that much for the game as much as you think he does.

Quote:
How can you be sure that there were bundles of magazines with Spyro plastered on it in the 90s if you cant see the magazines these days.

Have a recording of a TV show for kids that you had during the 90s with commercials? That's where you'll find him being plastered at.

Quote:
Yes but I'm sure that when most gaming fanatics say "spyro" they mean the PS1 ones. Spyro isn't one of the bes games ee, but it is better than TLOS.

Nope, they will just generalize it as "that one purple dragon" with no particular game in mind. Also, most real game fanatics will prefer Japanese games so anything made in America or Europe will always suck (or just not be as good) in their mindsets.

I just don't know what to say; I used to own Ripto's Rage, and I played through it, forgot about it, and moved on. Sure, you can preach to me about how awful the Sierra stuff is, in which in my mind it's nothing compared to SC Societies (which is a game that's ruined the franchise, and with legit reasons too). I guess the reason why I like the Sierra ones are because of all those "dreaded" tropes and cliches that exist in it, in which the old ones have probably just as many if not more tropes and cliches that would annoy a person too.

In fact, I could go flat out and say that it's because of the old Spyros that games suck these days; the fact that we now have to have hi-def 3D graphics and wacky gameplay because of the N64/PSX and that you need 50+ team members just to make a game these days that tries to provide a decent story yet has to ensure we have over-animated characters in thick worlds, which results in everything else getting the bad end of the deal and a game that isn't fully enjoyable (or not even finished as in some cases, right Sakuria?) Heck, what did happen to those days before the SNES when companies just made games?

I don't know about you, but this industry has certainly done something wrong at some point in time, and I think it happened way before black dragon sues and clock towers that bring authority into our cities.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Cynder_543 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1277
#154 Posted: 10:57:46 28/03/2009
Wait, before ANB came out, wasn't ANB suposed to come before STD happend? What happend there? Why did they discided to make it a completly different story?
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#155 Posted: 22:40:45 28/03/2009
I agree. They f'ed that up. A New Beginning was an alright game, it was Spyro-ish enough to be believed to have happened before StD. But TEN totally messed up and made it like an alternate storyline altogether. And DOTD went further.
So yeah, LOS has no relation to the true Spyro series.
#156 Posted: 09:42:39 31/03/2009 | Topic Creator
I remember when ANB came out and It was still stated as prequel. I was furious, I found it a Prequel not true or worthy to the series. A direct prequel I mean.
#157 Posted: 19:57:39 31/03/2009
I was snooping around on the internet, and I found out why Insomniac got rid of Spyro: they couldn't make him do anything new! And as a the president of the time Ted Price says "he didn't have hands, so he couldn't hold a gun." I don't know about you, but this just screams that the Spyro of the time was indeed, an Attitude the Whatever spoof of Sonic that was supposed to outsell said hedgehog.

This also proves that all game developers are morons at times. I'm pretty sure I could have come up with ideas for the series that would actually work and make for a good game.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
sparx rules Blue Sparx Gems: 650
#158 Posted: 23:35:23 31/03/2009
I wish the levels were BIGGER it was not what I had expected. I would give it a 5/10
---
Spyro rocks my world but Sparx rules it.
#159 Posted: 11:00:16 02/04/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: BlackDragonAJ89
I was snooping around on the internet, and I found out why Insomniac got rid of Spyro: they couldn't make him do anything new! And as a the president of the time Ted Price says "he didn't have hands, so he couldn't hold a gun." I don't know about you, but this just screams that the Spyro of the time was indeed, an Attitude the Whatever spoof of Sonic that was supposed to outsell said hedgehog.

This also proves that all game developers are morons at times. I'm pretty sure I could have come up with ideas for the series that would actually work and make for a good game.

well yeah, insomniac left the series due to spyro's limitations, and i think due to a little bit of bordom too. insomniac were obviously more inclined to shooters
#160 Posted: 14:37:23 02/04/2009
Kind of stupid if you ask me; not everyone is all that wild about shooters (if you know what I mean).
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#161 Posted: 18:23:06 04/04/2009
Well their next series doesn't fall under the shooter category. Ratchet & Clank is a 3D adventure, with just as much platforming action as baddie-bashing. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#162 Posted: 07:31:56 19/04/2009 | Topic Creator
Insomniac were a company that liked to do shooters. 3/4 of they're franchises were shooters
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#163 Posted: 12:14:56 19/04/2009
Although they did a sloppy job with the Spyro game. They should be taking a longer time and doing a better job at making the next Spyro game in the future.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
#164 Posted: 16:22:01 19/04/2009
Actually, they almost always send out a new game every year. The only year after starting the Ratchet franchise that didn't see a Ratchet game released was 2006, and that's because they were working on Tools of Destruction. The newest release, A Crack in Time, has been under development since ToD was finished, and when Quest for Booty was completed, the staff working on that began helping the team already working on ACiT.

Maybe, now that Sierra is a part of Blizzard, they can split up their staff so they can work on multiple projects at once, that way they aren't rushed for time. <.<;
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#165 Posted: 05:17:04 29/04/2009
Well, I do admit one thing about DotD...it was rushed. There were going to be more scenes in the game, but they didn't have time to add them in. Since they suddenly changed developers, they had to make DotD from scratch with EL, which is why the game was short as TEN.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#166 Posted: 12:05:02 29/04/2009
Quote: Aura24
Well, I do admit one thing about DotD...it was rushed. There were going to be more scenes in the game, but they didn't have time to add them in. Since they suddenly changed developers, they had to make DotD from scratch with EL, which is why the game was short as TEN.

Oh, THAT is why it was short... I thought it was short because they spend most off there time doing the grapics and then onced they finished doing the grapics, they had less time to work on the actrul game so they rushed it. I guess I was wrong. smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Cynder789 Green Sparx Gems: 272
#167 Posted: 21:28:17 30/04/2009
If u look at the ground under cynder and sypro u can see that they are above the ground it is so odd they r like a foot off the ground.
---
So i'm random what's new.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#168 Posted: 13:57:30 01/05/2009
My 2 cents:

Yep, I think DotD is overrated. The gameplay isn't what it was supposed to be, the story was mangled, and the voice acting...don't get me started on how horrible the voice acting got. I was exceedingly disappointed by this whole thing.

Ah well. Maybe the next one will be better.
#169 Posted: 18:04:29 01/05/2009
And hopefully Activsion doesn't mess up the next Spyro game, with their ideas I mean.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#170 Posted: 14:43:49 02/05/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: Razz
My 2 cents:

Yep, I think DotD is overrated. The gameplay isn't what it was supposed to be, the story was mangled, and the voice acting...don't get me started on how horrible the voice acting got. I was exceedingly disappointed by this whole thing.

Ah well. Maybe the next one will be better.

Well atleast you agree with me on SOMETHING, Razz smilie
Yeah, This game isn't perfect, Nothing like it was supposed to be.
Zerospyro Green Sparx Gems: 208
#171 Posted: 20:38:55 02/05/2009
And hopefully Activsion doesn't mess up the next Spyro game, with their ideas I mean.

I think as long as Mike Graham takes some time to listen to our opinions about Spyro and any future games things should turn out all right. For me personally my gripe with DOTD was the melee combat. I found it difficult to do proper air combos unlike in ANB and TEN. Enemies would fall down too quickly once you knocked them up in the air, even when using Cynder's Shadow Strike. Still I want Spyro to continue for as long as possible before his eventual end. I've played almost all the games since the original trilogy and to me Spyro rocks!
---
Skylanders: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#172 Posted: 20:55:48 02/05/2009

I doubt they'd do something like that. Although, I've seen it happen before. <.<;
---
#173 Posted: 20:59:24 02/05/2009
I'm still angry at them for ruining DotD, with rushing the game with EL and changing character designs that wasn't meant to be changed in the first place.
---
#174 Posted: 05:38:35 04/05/2009
Let's see: current date is 2009.

What date is everyone who's optimistic seem trapped in: 1987.

Sorry, Actionvision won't care about Spyro; it's not a Cash-Cow franchise and it seems that people are getting bored with dragons these days.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#175 Posted: 12:27:31 04/05/2009
I was expecting better from ELB, who made one of my favorite games of all time (not this) but instead the finale to the series turned out to be a big letdown.

Monstrously overrated by TLOS fanboys and fangirls. Defintiely the worst of the three.
#176 Posted: 17:59:39 04/05/2009
Not to mention some fans who are now obsessed of DotD Cynder and see her as sexy and better than her ANB and TEN forms. It's ruining the character she once was before DotD.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:05:10 04/05/2009 by Aura24
#177 Posted: 18:16:07 04/05/2009
Ah, but Mike and Chris DID listen to the fans when they were making DotD...and look where that got us.

OMG, Ratchet and I are agreeing?! The Apocalypse is night! smilie
#178 Posted: 18:33:56 04/05/2009
Come to think of it, they did reply to us at the old Sierra forums and answered some of our questions.
---
crashpro Gold Sparx Gems: 2027
#179 Posted: 23:41:43 04/05/2009
TehLOoSe IS DEAD! YEAH!!! *Goes back to play Spyro 1-3 and A Hero's Tail.

I hated TLoS. NOTHING felt like the REAL Spyro games. Why does Spyro have a health bar? Why is Billy West voicing Sparx?

Hopefully they will finally get rid of that retarded-excuse for a damsel-in-distress; Cynder in the next game.

THAT'S RIGHT, CYNDER FANGIRLS (And some fanboys... ?_?) I hated Cynder. Dragging her around in DOTD was pointless and dumb. There you go.

-Peace
#180 Posted: 23:44:45 04/05/2009
Whoa there, crashpro, do we even know if they're continue with the LoS games or not? We don't. We have to wait until new information comes out, which is probably going to come out after the Spyro movie.
---
#181 Posted: 06:06:52 05/05/2009
Somebody call the waaaaaaaaaambulance.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#182 Posted: 09:58:05 05/05/2009
I think they should start over. Well not start the whole game again like they did with TLOS. I mean start from YOTD and continue from there again....
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
#183 Posted: 19:20:10 06/05/2009
I'd rather they didn't. That's how we got EtD. D:

I wouldn't mind a return to Spyro being fun, though. I'm replaying LoS and I rather regret having been suckered in by its fanbase. The games really aren't good. The nicest thing I have to say so far is that the art is nice, the music is nice, and ANB Dark Cynder is mildly interesting. Everything else? Feh.

They should consider giving Spyro something of a personality makeover. The more I see of LoS Spyro, the more disturbed I am. He is the biggest wuss I've ever seen, has no moral values of his own, will do whatever is asked of him without question... Does anyone else find it unsettling that kids are supposed to look up to such an obvious weakling? He's less a hero and more a literal victim of circumstances.
#184 Posted: 20:40:07 06/05/2009
Yeah...the art style and character designs of DotD kinda ruined the Legend of Spyro trilogy for me. Heck, if Sierra hadn't inferred with switching game developers and such just to make the game epic, then I would still like DotD today. I hope Activision doesn't do something foolish like Sierra did, changing character designs and other things.
---
#185 Posted: 05:00:20 07/05/2009
Quote: Razz
They should consider giving Spyro something of a personality makeover. The more I see of LoS Spyro, the more disturbed I am. He is the biggest wuss I've ever seen, has no moral values of his own, will do whatever is asked of him without question... Does anyone else find it unsettling that kids are supposed to look up to such an obvious weakling? He's less a hero and more a literal victim of circumstances.

Funny thing is, most of the people here looked up to characters who were rude, stupid, unaware of history, and scared of the future. While I was annoyed by many of the shows and movies, many of the youngsters here actually believed that school was a prison, that Sonic was the coolest thing alive, and that sugary cereals were good for them.

Let's put it this way; whenever I see a video game character, I see just pixels, voice samples, and codec commands. Therefore, I don't look up to any kind of people what so ever (whether real or fictional) because I never needed to. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in a rough childhood and live in a decade dissonance; the world is incredibly different.

With that being said, this just went over everyone's heads, and now I will talk about some facts and jargon, unless everyone has Hollywood ADHD...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#186 Posted: 03:26:38 08/05/2009
Oddly, I don't share your views, though I too have had a very rough life (growing up with a serious disability and a mental disorder you didn't know you had until you were an adult will do that to a person).

As a writer and a human being, I think it's important for people to have good role models. If we have no one to look up to, we have nothing to aspire toward, either. I do find it disconcerting that so many people look up to such bad role models. I don't like what our young people are being given as heroes these days. It disturbs me that they are expected to look up to incompetent, weak, moral-lacking figures, non-thinking "heroes", fictional and otherwise.

Of course, I'm a crotchety old lady who is involved in an actual civil rights movement and my experiences color everything. I think all stories are important, so it is the duty of the storyteller to make them good because someone will always be watching. It is at least the storyteller's duty to make an effort. Alas, most are just in it for a cheap buck and don't really consider what it is they're really doing (see the LoS creative team for a good example).

No room for Hollywood AD/HD here. I'm too busy dealing with the real thing. smilie

Also, you kids get off my lawn! *shakes rake at everyone* smilie
#187 Posted: 06:07:56 08/05/2009
Well for me, not having to look up to role models for anything, I've actually come pretty far and well in life. So I think that theory doesn't apply to me. Besides, all my inspiration comes from abstract thoughts and feelings as opposed to coming from people and characters in media.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#188 Posted: 06:34:23 08/05/2009
If there weren't people like Morris Frank, Professor Jernnigan, Zisca, and Sun Tzu, I wouldn't be who I am today. And if no one was inspired by Martin Luther King Jr., where would be today?
#189 Posted: 17:36:12 08/05/2009
Ideas and emotions can inspire as well, even when they aren't coming from a specific person.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#190 Posted: 12:37:56 11/05/2009
Of course, but where do ideas come from if not from people? Even if you get your idea from nature, you, a human being, were still the only thing that could think of it.
#191 Posted: 16:41:09 11/05/2009
Not really; my saying is "everyone always has a better idea than you." Just because I thought of it doesn't mean it's original and good as opposed to the random person on the street.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#192 Posted: 01:30:42 12/05/2009
Yeah, but if no one ever gets those ideas out, they are worthless. And it often takes someone with the brains and the guts to speak out before anyone knows.

Before General Zisca, no one had ever thought to use most of the war strategies we use today. Before Morris Frank, no American thought that a blind person could go about his day independently. Before Martin Luther King Jr., no one had the guts to point out to an entire country that generations of abuse were wrong.

This list can go on indefinitely. Someone on the street can have an idea and maybe it is better than the version that makes its way to the public, but that person's idea is worthless if it never gets used.
#193 Posted: 06:42:13 12/05/2009
DotD had the same methods as ANB and TEN though. For example, the previous two games showed enemies appearing and blocking your access to another area, and once you defeat them all, the obstacle that blocks your way disappears.

However, the fighting method was a lot different. No more LoS Spyro doing kung fu moves, but in DotD, he's doing moves that seem a little more violent than the moves he did in ANB and TEN.

I don't see why Sierra would think switching game developers and art style for the final conclusion of the LoS trilogy would make DotD epic.
---
#194 Posted: 12:51:25 12/05/2009
The fighting in DotD was about as bad as it had been previously. You get mobbed by so many enemies that you don't know which one you're fighting or which one just hit you, and then you die a couple dozen times before you get lucky. Or turn on the invincibility cheat. smilie
crashpro Gold Sparx Gems: 2027
#195 Posted: 23:18:36 12/05/2009
Bottom line, let's get a REAL developer and the REAL Spyro back.
#196 Posted: 04:43:41 13/05/2009
Technically, there is no REAL Spyro nor REAL developers.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#197 Posted: 05:36:05 13/05/2009
Actually, I think the problems with the Spyro franchise are in large part due to executive meddling. If the producers and executives at Sierra would just let the developers do the work, or at least hire some decent writers, some of these problems wouldn't exist.
#198 Posted: 05:48:47 13/05/2009
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The ones who were already working on the Krome version of DotD were interrupted by Sierra, who thought it would've been a good idea to make Spyro and Cynder look like teenagers and changing game developers, just to make the last chapter of the LoS game trilogy epic for Spyro's 10th anniversary. Sadly, that attempt failed.

If the executives of Sierra hadn't interferred with their ideas, then there would've have been any plotholes and confusions in DotD.
---
DARK CINDER Ripto Gems: 1062
#199 Posted: 05:54:09 13/05/2009
who is star fox?
#200 Posted: 07:25:07 13/05/2009
Oh, there probably would have still been plotholes (there were a few in ANB and TEN), but a lot fewer.

Star Fox is a long-running and popular set of Nintendo games.
First | Previous | Page 4 of 5 | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me