Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 3 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
DOTD Overrated? [CLOSED]
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#101 Posted: 15:45:33 07/03/2009
You are 100% right, Ratchet. Amen to that. Well-said.
BlackDragonAJ89 Green Sparx Gems: 480
#102 Posted: 19:27:01 07/03/2009
Wow, little kids are telling me what a game is? Impressive! It's like the 80s never even happened!

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but seriously, 90s gaming is really crappy compared to 80s gaming. Where as 90s cared only about graphics and money, 80s gaming was more so about experimenting and trying to come up with believability. Play something like the original Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy, and you'll see what I am talking about. Sure, it's really cruddy 8-bit, but all the story telling involved in some of that stuff was quite incredible, not to mention most of the music that Nintendo has bootstrapped to them now is from that generation.

And don't forget the arcade. It's probably older than the consoles are.

And according to this website, the golden era of gaming is before the 80s:
Golden Age of Gaming is during the 70s

Now that's real gaming.
---
"Never argue with a fool; some people can't tell the difference."smilie
Visit my DA pagesmilie
DARK CINDER Ripto Gems: 1062
#103 Posted: 19:31:18 07/03/2009
its morons like this that made me not like DOTD well i went on it today and i loved it i give it a 9/10 now and im never agreeing with the snobs of this site again
Ratchet Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#104 Posted: 02:37:28 08/03/2009 | Topic Creator
Quote: BlackDragonAJ89
Wow, little kids are telling me what a game is? Impressive! It's like the 80s never even happened!

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but seriously, 90s gaming is really crappy compared to 80s gaming. Where as 90s cared only about graphics and money, 80s gaming was more so about experimenting and trying to come up with believability. Play something like the original Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy, and you'll see what I am talking about. Sure, it's really cruddy 8-bit, but all the story telling involved in some of that stuff was quite incredible, not to mention most of the music that Nintendo has bootstrapped to them now is from that generation.

Now that's real gaming.

Everyone has their own opinion on which gaming era is the best. But seriously, each era has their fair share of crappy games. there's an uncountable number of awful games on the Atari & NES. Lots of games just into advertising like "Silver Surfer". While yes there are crappy games in the 90s too, Spyro isn't one of them.
IMO, i have to agree. 80s era WAS the best, and there was a whole lot of crap in the late 90s. but gain, Spyro was not one of them
Apieceofmeat700 Ripto Gems: 132
#105 Posted: 08:33:06 08/03/2009
but by some point NOBODy knew if spyro and cynder was going to die or not
it was a major shocker when i found out the possibility
he's way young for that crap
#106 Posted: 10:47:44 09/03/2009 | Topic Creator
Nobody knew taht they wouldn't die? lol, so was that an epic plot twist? Not making characters die? lol, atleast we knew that someone would die, and ignitus dying i put down as a predictable plot twist even before the game was released.

They should of put a real plot wist in. something taht could make you think. What malefor said was obviously fake, so that didn't count
Cynder5 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1315
#107 Posted: 13:20:54 09/03/2009
In my opinion, Dawn of the Dragon is a 10/10. The graphics were great, the free flight for me, especially in "The Valley of Avalar", was amazing, the co op was nice, and having the ability to control Cynder was wonderful. I love that game!! I hope that they make more Spyro games like this one.
Different people have different opinions. So, I respect everyone's opinions on this. This is just mine.
Cynder5 smilie
#108 Posted: 19:38:38 09/03/2009
And there is nothing wrong with that. But it's when you force it down somebody's throat that "ONLY DUH DRUE PYRO IZ DUH PIRST PREEE!" or "SIERRA IZ DUH ONLY ONZ TO GEET IT RITE!", especially if you haven't been around games long enough to actually know the difference between classic and crap (yeah, I still remember when I went up close with the light zapper gun to shoot the ducks).

It's okay to have opinions, but don't act like it's the golden truth and everyone has to believe it, for the real truth is probably incredibly harsh, and sometimes is of something nobody even expected.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#109 Posted: 01:54:33 10/03/2009
Don't mention Duck Hunt! I was only a 1 year old when I first heard that evil laugh that still haunts me! <.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#110 Posted: 03:41:54 10/03/2009
THE DOG IS SEEING INTO YOUR SOUL...... Of course, I'd shoot the dog every now and then.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#111 Posted: 10:44:48 10/03/2009 | Topic Creator
And there is nothing wrong with that. But it's when you force it down somebody's throat that "ONLY DUH DRUE PYRO IZ DUH PIRST PREEE!" or "SIERRA IZ DUH ONLY ONZ TO GEET IT RITE!", especially if you haven't been around games long enough to actually know the difference between classic and crap (yeah, I still remember when I went up close with the light zapper gun to shoot the ducks).

It's okay to have opinions, but don't act like it's the golden truth and everyone has to believe it, for the real truth is probably incredibly harsh, and sometimes is of something nobody even expected.

Well Im not like any of that. But while the truth may be twisted. usually the truth is obvious, like in spyro's case
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#112 Posted: 22:47:57 13/03/2009
I thought DOTD was a great game! Better than the other TLOS games! But the collectables are pretty much crap.
#113 Posted: 01:46:26 14/03/2009
Yay, somebody else who didn't like the collectibles! You know what the next Spyro game needs? SKILL POINTS! :D
---
Doppel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1244
#114 Posted: 02:54:21 14/03/2009
I like DotD, and I am still playing it long after I beat Malefor.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#115 Posted: 03:02:59 14/03/2009
Quote: Doppel

Me too. Any true Spyro fan would like both the original trilogy games and the LoS series, no matter the changes.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:05:52 14/03/2009 by Aura24
#116 Posted: 04:26:11 14/03/2009 | Topic Creator
And I admit i'm not a true Spyro fan, like many many others who left the series after Spyro 3 or TLOS. But you really cant expect someone to like all spyro games, especially which the fact that TLOS is obvious garbage along with SL, orange, and somewhat ETD and AHT
#117 Posted: 16:04:52 14/03/2009
I thought Eurocom did a good job with AHT, personally. <.<;
---
#118 Posted: 04:19:14 15/03/2009
Actually, there are people out there who like Spyro no matter what the game, whether it's those originals or those Sierra ones, they like them all. What's the problem with that? That's like saying a person who likes all the Starfox games is stupid (especially when they don't gripe and complain about everything and just enjoy the series as a whole). Yes, there will be favorites, but any fan who can enjoy the series no matter what happens always gets a lot of respect from me.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Cloudtail4ever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#119 Posted: 04:45:18 15/03/2009
It's not nearly impossible to like all the Spyro games. The only people who don't, really, are those who can't accept change. I, personally, liked the change. The old stuff was getting rather, well, old. Just the whole idea of the gameplay, it was practically the same throughout the earlier games. The fact that they introduced a new style and plotline really, in a way, brought Spyro back to life again. Not that he had "died out" previously, but tLoS took a whole new spin on things. I think both tLoS and the originals are the same in terms of fun, personally.
---
"Man, if mom could see me now... We'd have zombies on top of everything else."
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#120 Posted: 05:13:59 15/03/2009

Now that's real gaming.

So your saying

Halo, Gears of war, half-life 2 , portal, Elder scrolls Obvivlion, C&C 3, left 4 dead , Team Fortress 2, GTA SA ect ect are all bull****
#121 Posted: 13:41:44 15/03/2009
Well, if you don't like shooters and war games, and you really think that 90s was the "good old days", then yeah.

All I'm trying to say is that the 90s games aren't any better (in fact, some of them are really quite worse) than today's games.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#122 Posted: 14:47:24 15/03/2009
Well, if you don't like shooters and war games, and you really think that 90s was the "good old days", then yeah.

All I'm trying to say is that the 90s games aren't any better (in fact, some of them are really quite worse) than today's games.

I liked the early 90s... back when the Genesis and SNES were at WAR! *dives into bunker, puts on military helmet* <.<;
---
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#123 Posted: 15:26:20 15/03/2009
I'm re-playing DotD again. That and Croc 2 are on my playing for a while on the PS2 list. (except, I was THIS close to finish the last level in the Cassack villiage, but the dang cutscenes froze on me.)

I think it is a bit overrated. I'm not really hyped up about it, and I'm a gihugic Spyro fan of all Eras.

@Aura24
You my dear, win a cookie. *hands you one* Who cares of it's Original, LoS, or Season Eras? It's SPYRO! smilie
Apieceofmeat700 Ripto Gems: 132
#124 Posted: 22:01:15 15/03/2009
Quote: Ratchet
Nobody knew taht they wouldn't die? lol, so was that an epic plot twist? Not making characters die? lol, atleast we knew that someone would die, and ignitus dying i put down as a predictable plot twist even before the game was released.

They should of put a real plot wist in. something taht could make you think. What malefor said was obviously fake, so that didn't count

...nevermind i mistyped about the ''nobody knew'' thing...idk what others knew it or not
but it was still major shocker when my friend partaily spoiled the DotD ending for me and i was still going to be picked-off if Spyro died....
Doppel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1244
#125 Posted: 22:06:50 15/03/2009
DOTD isn't that overrated because it was a break from all the Krome-style games, and I'm tempted to say something trashy.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:07:48 15/03/2009 by Doppel
#126 Posted: 05:21:25 16/03/2009
Quote: Apieceofmeat700
Quote: Ratchet

...nevermind i mistyped about the ''nobody knew'' thing...idk what others knew it or not
but it was still major shocker when my friend partaily spoiled the DotD ending for me and i was still going to be picked-off if Spyro died....

I would've liked it if someone died...not that I hate anyone, but it would've been a great ending to the trilogy if Spyro died to save the planet.
---
#127 Posted: 17:05:22 16/03/2009
That would be probably one of the biggest cliches ever, for those who are trying to keep count back home...
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
Cynder_543 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1277
#128 Posted: 08:49:29 18/03/2009
Quote: Aura24

Me too. Any true Spyro fan would like both the original trilogy games and the LoS series, no matter the changes.

*Sighs* I just hate it when people say "A true Spyro fan would...." Just cut it with the "true Spyro fan" stuff already! A true Spyro fan dosn't have to love every single game!

I also hate it when people say "I LOVE DOTD BECAUSE OFF THE FLYING AND CO-OP!!! Nuff said". What is so great about it? Why are you "drooling" over this flying and stuff? I think it was a little bit off a let down. Just saying "I like DOTD because off the flying" is stupid. OMG the flying! Big deal. The flying wasn't all that great to me, it wasn't really flying acturly. You were only flying about 5cm above the ground. >.> Oh, the armor wasn't all that good eather (but DOTD was still a great game) My god, if they make another TLOS game (which will probely happen because there is alot off imature, young kids out there that LOVE the things that was complety cr@p like the flying in DOTD), I might not be a Spyro fan anymore. It was the originals that kepted me hooked. Now that TLOS is out, my "Spyro fan" thingy is going

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

If it wern't for that cr@ppy button mashing, I would off loved TLOS...... Oh, and if Serria continues with TLOS, they would find that all there Spyro fans are now new, imature kids that are 11 years and under and that almost all the old Spyro fans that they had for a long time (that would be 13 and over by now) would off left with an angry grin on there face because they don't like what Spyro has become. I don't wan't something like that to happen, but unfortently, it will. smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Tango Gold Sparx Gems: 2076
#129 Posted: 18:55:28 18/03/2009
Quote: Cynder_543
Quote: Aura24

*Sighs* I just hate it when people say "A true Spyro fan would...." Just cut it with the "true Spyro fan" stuff already! A true Spyro fan dosn't have to love every single game!

I also hate it when people say "I LOVE DOTD BECAUSE OFF THE FLYING AND CO-OP!!! Nuff said". What is so great about it? Why are you "drooling" over this flying and stuff? I think it was a little bit off a let down. Just saying "I like DOTD because off the flying" is stupid. OMG the flying! Big deal. The flying wasn't all that great to me, it wasn't really flying acturly. You were only flying about 5cm above the ground. >.> Oh, the armor wasn't all that good eather (but DOTD was still a great game) My god, if they make another TLOS game (which will probely happen because there is alot off imature, young kids out there that LOVE the things that was complety cr@p like the flying in DOTD), I might not be a Spyro fan anymore. It was the originals that kepted me hooked. Now that TLOS is out, my "Spyro fan" thingy is going

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

If it wern't for that cr@ppy button mashing, I would off loved TLOS...... Oh, and if Serria continues with TLOS, they would find that all there Spyro fans are now new, imature kids that are 11 years and under and that almost all the old Spyro fans that they had for a long time (that would be 13 and over by now) would off left with an angry grin on there face because they don't like what Spyro has become. I don't wan't something like that to happen, but unfortently, it will. :|

I'm over 11, I like TLOS. ^.^
#130 Posted: 19:46:22 18/03/2009
Dude, I'm almost 20 and I like the Sierra trilogy. Whine about something that actually has a problem with it, like:

The original creator of a game series that was known to be hard and yet fun all the same time deciding to take his franchise into a "new direction" only to screw it up and make it so easy and cheezy that pretty much any vet hates it and has very crappy technical problems occurring with it.

Or

The biggest fighting game of all time, one that is going to be the original creator's very last game, to be completely half-baked, crappy fan service, lousy online, and a story that's more to annoy than to be enjoyed and to have a fanbase complain about it losing it's competitive edge as opposed to everything else wrong with it.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#131 Posted: 01:38:48 19/03/2009
Oh the first two LoS games were fine. But seriously, developer swapping for the final game of a story arc? That's about smart as an underwater electrical socket. It makes no sense, see? <.>
---
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#132 Posted: 01:44:19 19/03/2009
... To be really honest, I actually enjoy the rolling instead of the flying myself.

Does anyone think that the rolling action is faster then running in the game?
#133 Posted: 05:42:57 19/03/2009
Dude, I'm almost 20 and I like the Sierra trilogy. Whine about something that actually has a problem with it, like:

The original creator of a game series that was known to be hard and yet fun all the same time deciding to take his franchise into a "new direction" only to screw it up and make it so easy and cheezy that pretty much any vet hates it and has very crappy technical problems occurring with it.

Or

The biggest fighting game of all time, one that is going to be the original creator's very last game, to be completely half-baked, crappy fan service, lousy online, and a story that's more to annoy than to be enjoyed and to have a fanbase complain about it losing it's competitive edge as opposed to everything else wrong with it.

I just don't like it when people act as if ANB and TEN was a game that god made. Its like as if if anyone says it stinks, people act as if its agains the rules to say that and they go and attack those people who said that it sucks. I don't see whats so great about those two games. Its just full of button mashing. The only reason I can think off to why people love those two games and think that they rule all games is because people just LOVE action and button mashing these days. ;>.> If you think that TLOS is the most greatest action game off all time, then you don't know what an action game REALLY IS. I remeber trying out a real action game and boy was I imprese. The combat was acturaly good and even know it had lots off button mashing, I enjoyed the button mashing because the combat was that good. ANB and TEN was nothing compere to that game. And that game was a real action game. If TLOS is suposed to be an action game, then its nothing more then an embarasment compere to other games. Wait until you guys play real button mashing game, and you should think the same thing I did. <.< Oh, and the puzzles in TLOS were rubbish. I didn't even had to think about them to get though the game, they make it SOUND so exciting but hard at the same time, but if you play the game, it is a brainless and easy game. Thats why you never trust trailers, they only show all off the exciting and hard bits and they never show all off the boring parts. smilie

Oh, this is my opinion. If you complain about this, then your not taking my opinion and you need to read my sticky topic in the stuff and noncense section.
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
#134 Posted: 18:54:03 19/03/2009
The Wall of text is just showing how stupid you are. Learn to separate your paragraphs more and try not letting things run on top of each other and I might take you a little more seriously.

I've been playing games for practically forever, as I said, ranging back to the days of NES when I was barely 2, even if I did lose and have that dog laughing at me, so I've seen a lot happen to the games. They went to being innovative with the NES and early SNES to being marketing schemes that pretty much dominated the rest of the SNES era and N64/Playstation eras to being technical gimmick fests that are of the Gamecube/Wii/PS2/PS3 days happening now.

So really, I could care less about what happened with the series; all Sierra is doing is being a game company, and you can't blame them for that.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#135 Posted: 06:15:49 20/03/2009
^ That is how I wright okay? Not even your mean and anoying mature comments can change that. I can't help it, thats how I wright and I'm not going to work really hard on changing it just because some guy that I don't even know told me too. smilie

I didn't even get what you just said just then....

I don't really care eather but I do care if they change Spyro to something REALLY different. It came from great to rubbish. And once again, this is mine opinion!
Great- Embarasment
Cheerful- Dark
Thinking and puzzly - Brainlesly smashing buttons all the time
Nice, cheerful music- Dark, opra, anoying music
10 year old dragon on a big advnture- 12-15 year old dragon on a short adventure
Spyro is kind but stuborn- Spyro is seriouse, not funny and does what ever he is told.

TLOS is basicly a really bad game but has Spyro in it to make all off the Spyro fans droll all over TLOS. smilie The only reason why Serria is going to continue TLOS is because all the Spyro fan people on there website are TLOS fans. Non off them are originals because they don't even go on there. If some original lovers would go on there and tell them that they don't like TLOS and that your only getting imature, 8 year olds to love your game, then Serria might think twice about it. All I want is that they don't continue that TLOS cr@p. Why must I get ditched just because I don't like it? smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
#136 Posted: 19:34:39 20/03/2009
Oh bo-ho. The way I look at it:

Original Spyro:

Spoof of SONIC the HEDGEHOG, designed to be thought as better as Mario. Pretty flat storyline, rather simple gameplay with extra side quests, and music by a guy of a famous band who could care less about the game (and is stuck using Garage Band as opposed to a high-end system considering he's working for SONY). Lots of loud, annoying commercials.

Sierra Spyro:

A cross between the usual dragon lore and a Walden Media fantasy, with no intentions of going against other games. Not as cliche-storm storyline, but still simple gameplay, just thicker universe. Music done in orchestral/fantasy style from a game company known for good music since the mid 80s. No commercials or merchandising needed to sell the game.

I respect Sierra more and their version more, just because of the last sentence. "No commercials or merchandising needed". The Sierra game could actually become an art, where as the other is just an example of how bad you can make a game when it comes to making it artistic. You don't commercialize art, or else it's just a marketing scheme.

Besides, I'd probably tell Sierra that instead of taking Spyro to his old formula, that they, Sierra, should use their old formula on Spyro: Good music and everything trying to kill you.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#137 Posted: 00:41:30 21/03/2009
smilie Just stop it please. This is just what I think. This is my opinion. Respect it and live with it! >.>
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
#138 Posted: 02:07:51 21/03/2009
I think that LoS Spyro could turn out very good... with more than a year of development and an immediate developer swap. Also, the music's quality seemed to have diminished between TEN and DotD, probably due to the rushed release date. <.<;
---
#139 Posted: 09:30:53 21/03/2009
Quote: HIR
I think that LoS Spyro could turn out very good... with more than a year of development and an immediate developer swap. Also, the music's quality seemed to have diminished between TEN and DotD, probably due to the rushed release date. <.<;

You sir, has just won the internet! Thats exsatly what I think! smilie If they would off spent another year to make it, then it would off been a great game. Maby cut out some off that combat and make Spyro not so seriouse... If they would off done that, then TLOS would off been great games. But I would still like the originals better because I have been with them since 2000 (I was playing them since I was five. But watched my sister play them when I was four) and I remeber loving them and I was so obested with them until TLOS came.... Why won't serria just spend two years to make TLOS instead off rushing for the relise date!?!?!
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#140 Posted: 11:54:46 21/03/2009
I thought Eurocom did a good job with AHT, personally. <.<;

Personally I think A Hero's Tail is by far the best game in the Spyro series. Eurocom does a good job with everything they make.
#141 Posted: 19:13:05 21/03/2009

You're absolutely correct. If LoS was put into the hands of a better company, than, with some tweaks, the games could be pretty good.
There are two types of companies for games out there:
Those who rush a game to make a date and make money RIGHT THEN.
or
Those who take their time to make a quality game, and in the long run, make more money off a better game than the rushed games.

Sierra fits under the first.
---
#142 Posted: 22:48:40 21/03/2009
Personally, I think ANB and TEN's story lines are a bit lame..... o3o
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
#143 Posted: 03:15:39 22/03/2009
Quote: Cloudtail4ever

You're absolutely correct. If LoS was put into the hands of a better company, than, with some tweaks, the games could be pretty good.
There are two types of companies for games out there:
Those who rush a game to make a date and make money RIGHT THEN.
or
Those who take their time to make a quality game, and in the long run, make more money off a better game than the rushed games.

Sierra fits under the first.

Let's face it, Cloudtail4ever, bigger developing companies like Square can afford to take more than one year to make a game. Cause they have other ways to get the cash flowing in. While the Final Fantasy team is slaving over FF XIII, which doesn't even look like it's coming out in 2009 at the rate things are going, they've got other departments working on Final Fantasy spin offs, Kingdom Hearts games, and TWEWY (although, the KH department developed this too, so they much have branched off temporarily so some people could continue work on 358/2). <.<;
---
#144 Posted: 03:38:27 22/03/2009
O.o I didn't mention anything about Square in that. And if I implied it, I didn't mean to.
But, you ARE right...didn't Sierra get bought out by Activision? Or were they always a part of it?
---
#145 Posted: 20:02:11 22/03/2009
I think Actionvision bought out Sierra.

And since all Actionvision cares about is Guitar Hero, well, that explain while little Sierra has to rush everything. =/

What ever happened to the 20 member teams that used to make video games??
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#146 Posted: 15:23:16 23/03/2009 | Topic Creator
Actually, there are people out there who like Spyro no matter what the game, whether it's those originals or those Sierra ones, they like them all. What's the problem with that? That's like saying a person who likes all the Starfox games is stupid (especially when they don't gripe and complain about everything and just enjoy the series as a whole). Yes, there will be favorites, but any fan who can enjoy the series no matter what happens always gets a lot of respect from me.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with those "true Spyro fans", but you really cant expect someone to like every game. Its just not the way they are. The "true spyro fans" are usually 11 year olds or younger, 25 year old dragon nerds or adults with asperges. the same goes for the TLOS fans.

Quote:
It's not nearly impossible to like all the Spyro games. The only people who don't, really, are those who can't accept change. I, personally, liked the change. The old stuff was getting rather, well, old. Just the whole idea of the gameplay, it was practically the same throughout the earlier games. The fact that they introduced a new style and plotline really, in a way, brought Spyro back to life again. Not that he had "died out" previously, but tLoS took a whole new spin on things. I think both tLoS and the originals are the same in terms of fun, personally.

Cant accept change? Well yes I cant accept change...for the worse. In some ways if something changes entirely but still for the better, i dont like it. But if a game changes things and the game gets worse, thats when i dont like it. Because you should only change if it is for the better, otherwise its an epic fail, like TLOS.

As for the old stuff, there was no evidence it was getting old.....at all. Many TLOS lovers use AHT as an example of what happened, but AHT is boring and has many faults. Faults which make it not a match to the originals. I can easily play Spyro 3 again and again and not get bored as i do with AHT in 2 hours. AHT sucked and the originals deserved better games. Also, the Oriiginal universe could of changed to accompany new genres and storeys. they could of had an epic button masher game with the oriiginal too, but decided not to.

And for your last point, if it aint broke, why not fix it, instead of buying a new, crappier model.

Quote:
Original Spyro:

Spoof of SONIC the HEDGEHOG, designed to be thought as better as Mario. Pretty flat storyline, rather simple gameplay with extra side quests, and music by a guy of a famous band who could care less about the game (and is stuck using Garage Band as opposed to a high-end system considering he's working for SONY). Lots of loud, annoying commercials.

Sierra Spyro:

A cross between the usual dragon lore and a Walden Media fantasy, with no intentions of going against other games. Not as cliche-storm storyline, but still simple gameplay, just thicker universe. Music done in orchestral/fantasy style from a game company known for good music since the mid 80s. No commercials or merchandising needed to sell the game.

I respect Sierra more and their version more, just because of the last sentence. "No commercials or merchandising needed". The Sierra game could actually become an art, where as the other is just an example of how bad you can make a game when it comes to making it artistic. You don't commercialize art, or else it's just a marketing scheme.

Besides, I'd probably tell Sierra that instead of taking Spyro to his old formula, that they, Sierra, should use their old formula on Spyro: Good music and everything trying to kill you.

lol, look who's playing pessimest and optimist. trying to make the great thing sound like crap and a crap thing sound great..

Firstly, storyline. Compared to platformers at the same time, the story in spyro 2 and 3 were very well developed. have some of the best voice acting of the day, and even had twists. Storyline is flat compared to games of these days, or the final fantasies of the day, but final fantasy was ppretty much all drugged up on storyline and things like story always get better as the ages progress (NES games had the falltest storylines ever, and arcade had none).

Atleast the storyline was better than TLOS. Compared to games of these days, the TLOS storyline comes out on the bottom. Filled with cliches, plotholes and gary-stus/mary-sues. not to mention tonnes of ripoffs.

Simply gameplay? Maybe, but alot alot more advanced than TLOS anyway. And Frankly, the side qests made the game. If you dont like side quests, you obviously didn't like Spyro. And what would be the alternative to side quests anyway? A tonne of platforming, collecting and exploring? Then TLOS fans would complain its too boring like Spyro 1.

And Stewart copeland not caring less about the game? Are you the psychic here who can read stewart copelands mind? In an interview he can be seen playing spyro, enjoying it and having fun creating the music. In other words, it wasn't his boring day job which makes him want to kill himself when he gets out of bed every moring like YOU think.

And loud commercials. If you want something to be sold it uses commericials. Its common fact.

Now onto TLOS.
No intention of challanging other games? Well no, Instead it STEALS from other games and waits in the corner while mums buy there kids spyro games thinking "hey, a dragon, he/she'll like that". And since when did challenging games become evil?

Not cliche storyline? Oh please, the games practically have CLICHE stamped all over it. A chosen one, Someone discovering who they really are, someone dying at the end of the game, someone evil who turns good. Yes the originals had cliches as well, but they werent the kinds of games everyone is like "OMG, The storys the b3st!!!!111" and so could be excused.

The music. Boring. Still computerised but this time epic boringness and stressfullness. Designed to either make you panic, or fall asleep. Some of it is nice, but generally not as catchy and great as stewart copeland's tunes.

as for Advertising. TLOS is advertised lots. There are many games without ads, TLOS is not one of them. I also open K-Zone and all those game magazines and see TLOS plastered all over it. Not to mention deals with stors such as wendys. TLOS is advertised as much as Spyro was in the 90s, or more.

And TLOS isn't art. Nuff said.

Oh and reguarding AHT. I liked some bits. Like how it parodies things. And the step to unlimited gems (used to not like the idea, like it now)
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 15:54:29 23/03/2009 by Ratchet
#147 Posted: 02:24:03 24/03/2009
I still disagree with you on the parts about Copeland.

First off, have you heard the term "smiling for the camera?" Yeah, I'm pretty sure that especially during the 90s that I would really want to work on something rather childish when the rest of my career was really successful being in a rock band, a rather well known rock band if that. Also, how in the heck could he do his job? I mean he was working for a near mega corp and he got stuck using Garage Band (remember, Sony had invited the CD, so they were rather not having to worry about money, and I'm pretty sure that Insomniac was getting enough money from Sony to invest into better programing). Seriously? Just how in the heck do you put up with that?

I mean if Maxis (even without working for EA) could hire an orchestra, why couldn't Sony provide better equipment?

Also, I haven't seen any of those magazines, so therefore, it doesn't really matter; people still don't see the games.

And while you brought up the arcade; the reason why I think it's the best is because it was a really large-scale social medium. Nobody cared all that much for story there, it was basically all about your skill on the game, scores, playing with other players, and atmosphere. I guess it seems here that most people here were too doped up on their N64s/Playstations to go to the remaining arcades and actually have a good gaming experience. But what am I saying? I've played so many different kinds over the years that everything's just one big blur.

So if the original Spyro's were so good as you're telling me, then why hasn't gaming history marked them for anything? If you ask anyone on the street that didn't know you, and you asked them "who's the first character you think of when you think of video games", chances are it's going to be Mario, and maybe Sonic. In fact, the only games most people will probably know of will be Mario, Sonic, Halo, Zelda, Everquest, Pac Man, Final Fantasy, and sometimes Sim City (but more or likely the Sims).

But why is this so? Because most of those games are either quite old, or they've done something really memorable. Frankly, I haven't seen a single Spyro game push the envelope in any area to actually earn recognition to the status of Mario, whether it's the 90s or the Noughties, none of them have. Chances are, depending on how the trend is, Spyro will probably just fizzle out within 10 years with no one giving all that much care.

But as for me, I just get games with characters who don't have brick personalities or product placement everywhere, stories that make sense, and music that's actually allowed to be expressive (or can sound good when it's not being in the game) and be enjoyed by non-gamers.
---
Visit my DA pagesmilie
#148 Posted: 02:45:45 24/03/2009
Just on that little tidbit on people not knowing Spyro...a few months ago, I asked my uncle (who works for Microsoft) if he knew what Spyro was, and he said he'd never heard of it before.
---
#149 Posted: 21:38:15 24/03/2009
Well there have been what, one decent, one okay, and one terrible Spyro game released on Microsoft consoles?
---
#150 Posted: 21:50:32 24/03/2009
That's a good point, too smilie
I wasn't saying Spyro was bad, I was just saying he's not as popular as some other franchises.
---
First | Previous | Page 3 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me