Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Spyro and Legend of the Guardians
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Spyro and Legend of the Guardians [CLOSED]
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#51 Posted: 03:56:12 27/11/2010
Awesome video, and may I add, a lot more fitting than for Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole. The first three books the movie was based on didn't have that dark, epic feel to it as the later ones did.
Quote:
(though the trailer confirmed my suspicions that it was just the hero's journey as interpreted by George Lucas with owls)
I take offense to that! George Lucas, that stupid director who once said that special effects are only one part of the movie is now re-relasing the Star Wars prequels in 3-D just for the money isn't worthy of being compared to Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole!
Sorry about that, but to be honest, I am really starting to not care about what people think around here anymore....
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6124
#52 Posted: 04:06:05 27/11/2010
There was a time, probably before you were born, when George Lucas was a respectable (and good) filmmaker. I was alive back then and I've watched him dissolve into whatever he is now and spit all over his own legacy. It's sad. I still remember when Star Wars was actually cool. Watch the original films (6. A New Hope, 7. The Empire Strikes Back, and 8. Return of the Jedi); they're good (it helps that they were written by other people, back when Lucas couldn't get away with everything).

You'll note that I was comparing Ga'hoole to the original Star Wars here (y'know, the good ones?). A cliche isn't always a bad thing (though if you're old enough, it does mean that there are no surprises for you whenever films/games go down the road everyone's traveled before). But I'll say it: Ga'hoole, LoS, and hundreds of other things you kids love today would not exist had George Lucas not made those movies. And what do you think Ga'hoole is? They aren't releasing a new book every few months just for the fun of it (hint: they do it to make money).
Wylrin Emerald Sparx Gems: 3784
#53 Posted: 16:13:17 27/11/2010
The Legend of the Guardians trailer almost fits perfectly in with Spyro, with the guardians and vanquishing evil. Only it's owls instead of dragons. smilie
---
"A real intelligence agent has no ego, no conscience, no remorse. Only a sense of professionalism."
- Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
minredd Blue Sparx Gems: 698
#54 Posted: 17:51:22 27/11/2010 | Topic Creator
New book? Guardians of Ga'Hoole ended several years ago if I remember correctly. The only series that still pumps out books that fast that I know of is Warriors(which I love<3).

I've never seen the original Star Wars or anything like that, I grew up in a Trekkie family smilie
#55 Posted: 17:55:57 27/11/2010
Quote: Razz
There was a time, probably before you were born, when George Lucas was a respectable (and good) filmmaker. I was alive back then and I've watched him dissolve into whatever he is now and spit all over his own legacy. It's sad. I still remember when Star Wars was actually cool. Watch the original films (6. A New Hope, 7. The Empire Strikes Back, and 8. Return of the Jedi); they're good (it helps that they were written by other people, back when Lucas couldn't get away with everything).

You'll note that I was comparing Ga'hoole to the original Star Wars here (y'know, the good ones?). A cliche isn't always a bad thing (though if you're old enough, it does mean that there are no surprises for you whenever films/games go down the road everyone's traveled before). But I'll say it: Ga'hoole, LoS, and hundreds of other things you kids love today would not exist had George Lucas not made those movies. And what do you think Ga'hoole is? They aren't releasing a new book every few months just for the fun of it (hint: they do it to make money).

First of all, don't refer to me as 'a kid'. That's so disrespectful. And second, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, if it weren't for people who go up in flames when you try to claim your opinion as fact, (Don't get me wrong, I am annoyed when people do that too.) I would say your dead wrong.

Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole is a book seris about owls who live in a fantasy world, fighting for what's right. It was made into a movie so they could make tons of merchandise to make money off both, I think it's safe to say that Star Wars probably had nothing to do with the creation with either of these things.
With Spyro, it was a popular game seris re made into TLOS trilogy. Both seris don't have a thing about it that can be compared to Star Wars. How could Star Wars be responbile for the creation of these seris if they're nothing alike?
And to get things strait, the last Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole book was released a long time ago. By that, Kathryn Lasky (The author) made it clear Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole isn't just a cash cow to her. Sure, the books are publsihed to make money, that's how the author and the publishers chose to make their living. George Lucas is a diffrent story. The prequels, the plague to the Star Wars seris, are being re made into 3-D, something just about everyone hates and finds useless. There really is no reason to do this besides just for the money.
#56 Posted: 18:19:25 27/11/2010
Quote: ignitusforever

First of all, don't refer to me as 'a kid'. That's so disrespectful. And second, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, if it weren't for people who go up in flames when you try to claim your opinion as fact, (Don't get me wrong, I am annoyed when people do that too.) I would say your dead wrong.

Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole is a book seris about owls who live in a fantasy world, fighting for what's right. It was made into a movie so they could make tons of merchandise to make money off both, I think it's safe to say that Star Wars probably had nothing to do with the creation with either of these things.
With Spyro, it was a popular game seris re made into TLOS trilogy. Both seris don't have a thing about it that can be compared to Star Wars. How could Star Wars be responbile for the creation of these seris if they're nothing alike?
And to get things strait, the last Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole book was released a long time ago. By that, Kathryn Lasky (The author) made it clear Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole isn't just a cash cow to her. Sure, the books are publsihed to make money, that's how the author and the publishers chose to make their living. George Lucas is a diffrent story. The prequels, the plague to the Star Wars seris, are being re made into 3-D, something just about everyone hates and finds useless. There really is no reason to do this besides just for the money.

Hon, I'm almost 30. Unless you're over 21, you are a kid. It's not disrespectful, it's just the truth.

Aaaand, you've totally missed the point I was making. Completely and utterly. What I'm saying is that, were it not for the original Star Wars and things like it that came out in the 60s/70s, nobody would have bought Ga'hoole to publish in the first place and there would be no books, no movie, no game, and no merchandise.

As for LoS being inspired by Star Wars, watch the movies, my dear. The entire story of LoS is ripped straight from Star Wars (and Lord of the Rings, right down to having Frodo voice Spyro). There's not a single original idea in it; you can find everything that was in LoS somewhere else (but particularly LotR and SW).

I'm glad to hear that Ga'hoole the books did come to an end. I wasn't sure if they were like Animorphs back in the day (where a new book came out every month until KA Applegate got sick of them and killed off pretty much the whole cast) or not. Does anyone know how many books there were? I've got fourteen or so right now.

As regards George Lucas, nobody is more frustrated about what he's become than me. Like I said, I grew up when Star Wars was actually cool (before the prequels) and it kills me to hear my little brother say it's stupid because he's only seen the garbage that is the franchise today. The George Lucas I'm talking about is the guy from the 70s who knew how to make a decent movie, let someone else write his scripts, and didn't see his audience as nothing more than mindless money machines.

Did you even read my initial post? Your reply just looks like you read "George Lucas" in the same sentence as "Ga'hoole" and decided I was saying they're the same thing. For the record, I have no opinion on Ga'hoole right now beyond that it looks interesting, the concept amuses me, and I will probably enjoy the books.
#57 Posted: 20:17:03 27/11/2010
Quote: minredd
New book? Guardians of Ga'Hoole ended several years ago if I remember correctly. The only series that still pumps out books that fast that I know of is Warriors(which I love<3).

I've never seen the original Star Wars or anything like that, I grew up in a Trekkie family smilie

Yes, the Guardians of Ga'hoole series ended at book 15, "War of the Ember". There are also two other books, "A Field Guide to the Great Tree", and "Lost Tales of Ga'hoole".
---
"A real intelligence agent has no ego, no conscience, no remorse. Only a sense of professionalism."
#58 Posted: 20:46:08 27/11/2010
Quote:
Hon, I'm almost 30. Unless you're over 21, you are a kid. It's not disrespectful, it's just the truth.

Aaaand, you've totally missed the point I was making. Completely and utterly. What I'm saying is that, were it not for the original Star Wars and things like it that came out in the 60s/70s, nobody would have bought Ga'hoole to publish in the first place and there would be no books, no movie, no game, and no merchandise.

As for LoS being inspired by Star Wars, watch the movies, my dear. The entire story of LoS is ripped straight from Star Wars (and Lord of the Rings, right down to having Frodo voice Spyro). There's not a single original idea in it; you can find everything that was in LoS somewhere else (but particularly LotR and SW).

I'm glad to hear that Ga'hoole the books did come to an end. I wasn't sure if they were like Animorphs back in the day (where a new book came out every month until KA Applegate got sick of them and killed off pretty much the whole cast) or not. Does anyone know how many books there were? I've got fourteen or so right now.

As regards George Lucas, nobody is more frustrated about what he's become than me. Like I said, I grew up when Star Wars was actually cool (before the prequels) and it kills me to hear my little brother say it's stupid because he's only seen the garbage that is the franchise today. The George Lucas I'm talking about is the guy from the 70s who knew how to make a decent movie, let someone else write his scripts, and didn't see his audience as nothing more than mindless money machines.

Did you even read my initial post? Your reply just looks like you read "George Lucas" in the same sentence as "Ga'hoole" and decided I was saying they're the same thing. For the record, I have no opinion on Ga'hoole right now beyond that it looks interesting, the concept amuses me, and I will probably enjoy the books.
Yes, I have read your post.
I am sorry to hear that about George Lucas. I think the same thing is happening to Warriors and Erin Hunter.
Anyway, i still don't get what you mean with the connection of Star Wars , Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole and it's publication. As with TLOS, well, Anyone could walk up to me, say TLOS ripped off so and so, and I would belive it. Now that I think about it, if TLOS has managed to dumbfound me with it's stupidtity it can rip off anything it likes. If were talking original Spyro.... no way.

So if you have fouteen Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole books, your only missing two or three. There's 15 in the entire seris, and two feild guides, like Wylrin already pointed out.
#59 Posted: 00:48:40 28/11/2010
Ah, thanks for the Ga'hoole info. I'll have to double check, but I think I did get all of them (I know "War of the Ember" was in my batch).

The connection things like LoS and Ga'hoole shares with Star Wars is a very particular version of what's known as "the hero's journey". The hero's journey is one of the most common forms of Western story telling. Star Wars is a really simple kind of hero's journey that follows a pretty rote path that, in modern times, has become very cliched. It starts with a young boy who finds an older mentor and is then cast out of his current place in life (usually by some terrible family tragedy). He goes on to become a hero, has some struggles as a hero, falls, then rises again to be an epic hero.

The real hero's journey is much more complicated than that and creates very diverse stories. The George Lucas version of this story is simple and has been used so much in modern films and books that it's getting pretty worn out as a means of telling a story. But if Lucas hadn't popularized the hero's journey as he did with the first Star Wars movies, we wouldn't be seeing so many stories just like it today.

I can't speak in detail about how this relates to Ga'hoole yet, but it was the impression I got out of the trailers for the movie and what I read off the back of the first book way back when. As for how LoS does it...lord, I could go on for hours about that (though, to be fair, LoS also rips off Lord of the Rings in many massive ways, and it takes its cues from the new Star Wars (the bad ones)).
#60 Posted: 01:22:23 28/11/2010 | Topic Creator
The thing I love about the Guardians which is different from LOS is it isn't "this chosen one will save us all." It's more "this soldier had a good idea in the right place at the right time." Guardians of Ga'Hoole is more anti-destiny for the first six or so books. The movie is more "destiny" oriented then the books.

I guess I have a tendency to... Not dislike things. Only thing I don't like is Twilight, other then that I've at least enjoyed or dismissed the flaws in every movie, video game and book series or character I've ever seen/played/read. I guess because there's a LOT of things I haven't seen(I've only read 3 book series in my life and seen very, VERY few movies, some of which being How To Train Your Dragon and Shrek).
#61 Posted: 02:18:08 28/11/2010
Quote: Razz
Ah, thanks for the Ga'hoole info. I'll have to double check, but I think I did get all of them (I know "War of the Ember" was in my batch).

The connection things like LoS and Ga'hoole shares with Star Wars is a very particular version of what's known as "the hero's journey". The hero's journey is one of the most common forms of Western story telling. Star Wars is a really simple kind of hero's journey that follows a pretty rote path that, in modern times, has become very cliched. It starts with a young boy who finds an older mentor and is then cast out of his current place in life (usually by some terrible family tragedy). He goes on to become a hero, has some struggles as a hero, falls, then rises again to be an epic hero.

The real hero's journey is much more complicated than that and creates very diverse stories. The George Lucas version of this story is simple and has been used so much in modern films and books that it's getting pretty worn out as a means of telling a story. But if Lucas hadn't popularized the hero's journey as he did with the first Star Wars movies, we wouldn't be seeing so many stories just like it today.

I can't speak in detail about how this relates to Ga'hoole yet, but it was the impression I got out of the trailers for the movie and what I read off the back of the first book way back when. As for how LoS does it...lord, I could go on for hours about that (though, to be fair, LoS also rips off Lord of the Rings in many massive ways, and it takes its cues from the new Star Wars (the bad ones)).

Why didn't you say that in the first place? I tend not to catch on very quick if it isn't explained in detail.
With that all figured out, I must say, *Francis voice* I hate cliches!
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7105
#62 Posted: 17:08:41 28/11/2010
I hate some cliches, couldn't care less about some, and.....now wait for it.....LOVE others!
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#63 Posted: 19:28:37 28/11/2010
A cliche isn't always a bad thing. Remember, it got that way because it was loved. When done right, a cliche can be great.

I read "The Capture" last night and I rather enjoyed it. I give lots of props to the author for knowing her stuff when it comes to owls and making the token girl character a lot more significant than usual. The orphanage was creeeepy. o.O
#64 Posted: 19:36:53 28/11/2010 | Topic Creator
When you said "When done right, a cliche can be great." the first thing I thought of was How To Train Your Dragon. It's the old boy and his dog, boy and his dad story, but there's something so charming about it that made it one of the years best movies.

St Aggies is supposed to be creepy! It's basically a concentration camp for children. And yeah, Gylfie is pretty useful, so are other females you'll meet in the second or third book like Otulissa. She's a snob you can't help but grow to love.
#65 Posted: 19:38:43 28/11/2010
Exactly!

Less concentration camp, more re-education center (but those are still creepy). I wasn't really expecting that when I picked up the books. smilie

I loved Hortense, too, poor thing.
#66 Posted: 19:39:12 28/11/2010
But, just like other things, different people have different opinions on different cliches. smilie
---
#67 Posted: 21:53:14 28/11/2010
St Aggies was very creepy indeed. The moonblinking even more so. In the movie I actually flinched the first time I saw a moonblinked owlet. However, that may not be saying much... it doesn't really take much to make me flinch. smilie
---
#68 Posted: 22:08:18 28/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Metroid: Other M had a lot of cliches too(and over TWO HOURS of cut scenes), but I really enjoyed it. It was basically a movie for me.

And yes, Hortense. She's my favorite forever D;
#69 Posted: 22:10:46 28/11/2010
I REALLLLY want that game! Samus is awesome!
---
#70 Posted: 03:24:12 29/11/2010
Cliches may be great, but whatever happened to orignalty? Creativity? Imagination? Ambiton to create your very own work?
#71 Posted: 09:39:28 29/11/2010
Don't worry, that isn't leaving us anytime soon....
---
#72 Posted: 23:43:13 29/11/2010
Hmm, you think the rest of the world would follow LittleBigplanet and start COMING UP WITH THEIR OWN IDEAS!!!!
#73 Posted: 01:29:38 30/11/2010
A lot of people are coming up with their own original ideas, it's just not always easy to get those things out into the mainstream or widely known.
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#74 Posted: 01:37:47 30/11/2010
Just to point out, you stop being a kid at 18, as opposed to 21.

Edit: Well, okay, that is in British culture, as our age limits cap off at 18.

...And I have nothing to say about the Owl drama.
---
Eh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:39:51 30/11/2010 by Burning Gnorc
#75 Posted: 03:32:02 30/11/2010
You're a legal adult in the US at 18 (you can buy cigarettes and dirty magazines, at least), but you're still in school and can't gamble or drink. Most Americans don't consider folks to be real adults unless they're 21 and up (or unless they've lived through some insane stuff and are coping with it well, but nobody who's been through that kind of life would likely be on this forum).
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#76 Posted: 10:24:15 30/11/2010
Generally the British government don't consider you a real adult until you're 21 either. Neither do I, if I'm honest.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#77 Posted: 10:34:13 30/11/2010
In Ireland, it's definitly 18.
---
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#78 Posted: 14:01:27 30/11/2010
That's not true, Spyroo. At 18 you can do practically everything, including drink and gamble. The only things you can't do have ridiculous age limits (would you seriously consider a 22 year old a child? Because the minimum age to be pestered by charity workers is 23, believe it or not), but you're otherwise an adult and can start paying taxes.
---
Eh.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#79 Posted: 16:57:03 30/11/2010
Quote: Burning Gnorc
That's not true, Spyroo. At 18 you can do practically everything, including drink and gamble. The only things you can't do have ridiculous age limits (would you seriously consider a 22 year old a child? Because the minimum age to be pestered by charity workers is 23, believe it or not), but you're otherwise an adult and can start paying taxes.

It is true, via our government. Pay attention to news stories more - They refer to a 19 year old as a teen. NOT as an adult.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#80 Posted: 21:54:52 02/12/2010
Does anyone else think it's weird that Spyro and The Guardians of Ga'hoole conversation turned into how old you have to be to be an adult? smilie
---
#81 Posted: 21:56:25 02/12/2010
Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking! So....back on topic?
---
#82 Posted: 21:44:46 03/12/2010
Another epic mixture of Spyro and Legend of the Guardians:

---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:46:33 03/12/2010 by Wylrin
#83 Posted: 21:55:30 03/12/2010
Hmm... pretty kewl!
---
#84 Posted: 23:02:32 03/12/2010
I still like the first one better, though. smilie
---
#85 Posted: 23:06:11 03/12/2010
Yeah, in the first one, when it said "THIS FALL", I thought it said "THIS FAIL"!smilie DERP!
---
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#86 Posted: 01:56:27 04/12/2010
Quote: ignitusforever
Hmm, you think the rest of the world would follow LittleBigplanet and start COMING UP WITH THEIR OWN IDEAS!!!!

FRUIT NINJA! <3
#87 Posted: 15:34:19 13/12/2010
Okay, I found this video that is completely weird that is Legend of the Guardians related and it kind of scared me at first because it was so random:

---
#88 Posted: 00:51:37 14/12/2010
Okay Even though I am mad they made fun of Gaurdian's of Ga'Hoole, it is AWESOME! Give me a link to the real video! PLEASE?!?
The ironic thing is in the books the Owls never liked the seagulls much because they were "wet poopers."
Yeah, I was never crazy about that concept either. smilie
#89 Posted: 16:06:04 14/12/2010
Okay, the link to the video is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DkRbXIYYtM
---
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#90 Posted: 16:29:29 14/12/2010
Nice find, Wylrin.
#91 Posted: 19:15:38 14/12/2010
Quote: Wylrin
Okay, the link to the video is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DkRbXIYYtM

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
waytodawn96 Green Sparx Gems: 399
#92 Posted: 20:50:08 14/12/2010
Quote: Spyroo
Ever get the feeling we were ripped off? ._.

Well, its obvious that the-YES THEY DID!!!!
---
Is it possable to go to bed dead and wake up alive???! smilie I'm Random and proud of it!
#93 Posted: 00:40:55 15/12/2010
I really need to stop searching google for weird owl videos... Notwithstanding, here it is, and despite the fact that whoever made the video obviously doesn't like the Legend of the Guardians movie, it is good.

---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6147
#94 Posted: 20:24:27 15/12/2010
I just saw the movie and it is just one word, awesome. The animation is unreal and I like the slow motion parts a lot.
Is this game out on PS3?
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#95 Posted: 03:07:10 16/12/2010
Wow, who made this stupid parody? It's like a broken record, literrlay.
And yes, the games out for PS3. i can't wait to play it if I get a PS3 for christmas!
#96 Posted: 06:17:39 16/12/2010
Yeah, I can't wait to get it either. The movie was awesome.
I wonder what the flecks will do to you in the game.

I hope I get it for Christmas. And it's awesome how the movie is Australian!
---
I draw stuff.
#97 Posted: 20:53:03 16/12/2010
The flecks basically do the same thing in the game as they do in the books and movie. They make you lose control if you get too close to them. Also, the hagsfiends throw them at you, which not only causes damage, but also makes you vulnerable to attacks momentarily.
---
#98 Posted: 20:54:57 16/12/2010
That sounds cool, you must have the game.
---
I draw stuff.
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#99 Posted: 22:04:01 16/12/2010
I want the game too. I considered getting it a while back but I didn't, for some reason... Is it worth the money?
#100 Posted: 23:49:33 16/12/2010
@DragonLover I'll let you know when I get the game!
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me