Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Fox News host calls Robin Williams 'such a coward' over alleged suicide
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Fox News host calls Robin Williams 'such a coward' over alleged suicide [CLOSED]
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#51 Posted: 02:09:50 16/08/2014
Well suicide is the selfish and coward way to go out imo
---
words. letters. filler.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#52 Posted: 02:16:23 16/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

[User Posted Image]
_________
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#53 Posted: 03:11:25 16/08/2014
Quote: Kitty
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

[User Posted Image]
_________

excuse me for having an opinion
---
words. letters. filler.
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#54 Posted: 03:22:06 16/08/2014
When you are in those shoes, let's see whether you think it's still cowardly and selfish.
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#55 Posted: 03:27:26 16/08/2014
I feel like I'm the only person indifferent towards suicide. I mean if they commit suicide, is it terrible? Yes. Is it their fault? Perhaps. Is it selfish? In a certain way.
However, if I'm not allowed to take another persons life as I have no authority over them, who am I to tell them what to do?

I don't know. My views are pretty ****ty.
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#56 Posted: 03:33:17 16/08/2014
I haven't been even close to suicidal since I was 11-12-ish but I found out one of my friends currently is and at the risk of being flamed I will say it is selfish in a way.
That being said, that friend had many reasons to and I almost felt like it would be easier for them (I actually personally view suicide as a sin in most cases, but for the love of all things decent let's not bring religious views into this discussion or it'll really flame up so nvm that), but I'm am so so thankful they didn't and that I found out in time. If someone I love is going to die, I want them to die happy, not broken, but I guess that's kinda irrelevant to this. I'd far rather have them get help or someone to be there for them and help them through than them to die miserable.

Back on topic, wow FOX...
This is why I don't watch news shows at all any more.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:34:22 16/08/2014 by Doomslicer
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#57 Posted: 03:52:36 16/08/2014
Fox, fox, if they can't report it, GREAT!!!!!

I freaking hate fox news.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12221
#58 Posted: 05:19:42 16/08/2014
Quote: CAV
I'm very upset that Robin is gone and that he took his own life. It's tragic that he wasn't able to overcome his depression despite years of efforts and attempts at it (as well as sobering up). And that guy really needs to word his thoughts better and not be a dick.

BUT

I really hope people aren't going to start justifying suicide now or even implying that people who don't commit suicide are the cowardly ones.

Quote: Spyro Fanatic
Quote: zer0dch
I haven't seen the video yet, but suicide is an act of selfishness and cowardlyness. I love the guy, but suicide isn't the way to go.

How the **** is facing death on your own terms cowardly? The ones who cling onto life at the last moments not wanting to die are the cowards.

Think of depression of a severed internal blood vessel. The bleeding is constant, you feel it during the day and night, even in your dreams you can't escape. Eventually the bleeding stops and you become nothing but a husk. You either feel pain or nothing at all. Joy is completely gone and you can't figure out why. Everyone throws their two cents worth at you, enforcing their selfish and rude opinions on how you should live with no understanding, knowledge and consideration on how you feel. I keep getting told life is made by your choices, and if that's true then suicide is a part of life and I'll make my own decision on weather I'll do it or not.

And how is it selfish to those around you? If someone I loved killed themselves, it was their own choice and they're no longer in pain, for the first time in their life, they're free from everything. But to say it was selfish of them and now you're in pain, guess what, you're now feeling what they felt and you hate them for it. How selfish and cowardly is that? You've learnt nothing.

Suicide has always been considered a permanent solution to a temporary problem (even Robin has said that in interviews in the past). Robin was an exception in that depression plagued him for years (perhaps decades), but for most of us fits of actual depression don't last nearly as long. And when you commit suicide, that's it. Game over. It's done with. You felt that the only way to handle your depression and bad thoughts was to take your entire life away and leave your family and friends in a state of grief and guilt. That's selfish. And a refusal to handle depression head on and end your life is also cowardly. It may be a very scary idea to kill yourself and many people who attempt suicide find a way over that fear, but it's still taking the easier way out and damaging everybody around you in the process. It's like self-destructing.

And that last paragraph of yours would only further make the other party feel guilty over the actions of somebody they loved. What if they didn't do anything to cause their depression? What if they did something but the person never said it?

We seem to be going off the implication that whoever is depressed is depressed on the scale as Robin was, and at a similar length. Robin was a special case of someone who tried for years to get help and get over it and he just couldn't (and even then I find it tragic he took himself). Most people aren't like that. They're depressed for a few months, maybe a few years, and they still have moments where they find peace and happiness. Perfectly capable to get help, and if it's a teen suffering it, it's also very easy to assume that it'll be over once they escape high school or whatever it is that plagues them.

So yeah. I do think that in most situations suicide is a selfish and, perhaps even cowardly act. Killing yourself ends up appearing and being the easier way out of temporary problems. And when you do it, you're not only ending your life forever, but you're also condemning people who cared about you to feel just as bad as you did.

Just gonna reiterate that what I said above is not about Robin. I don't like that he committed suicide but I also understand that this has bothered him for a large chunk of his adult life and he had already tried to get help.

Thank you for actually making an argument that I can have a decent talk with. I definitely agree that family members and friends do suffer when you take your own life. I also know that there are many people with depression who are overly self conscious and think that they are becoming a burden on their family and friends. Many think that taking their own life would alleviate the supposed pain they're placing upon those around them. I suppose what I'm trying to explain is that depression and suicide has a significantly different effect on those who experience it and shouldn't be summed up with the "cowardly" and "selfish" opinion when the full extent of the condition will never be known or understood by anyone else except for the person experiencing it.

I also agree that for a large majority of depression cases, suicide isn't a reasonable answer. A teen in high-school may have depression for a few months, whilst another may have it for years and decides to commit suicide. Does this mean that the teen who had it for a few months was better at handling their condition than the one who had it for years? Maybe so, or maybe they just two different people who can't be compared in any other way except for experiencing the massively broad condition known as depression. You can never fully get into another individuals brain and understand why and how it effects them. The brain develops logic pathways that solidify when a particular pathway is used and proves to be the one with the most favorable outcome. For example, if negative thinking seems to help a person through a situation, but for you it only hinders, doesn't that mean one way of thinking is right or wrong?

Thank you again for replying directly to my comment. I can understand where you're coming from due to your clearly defined ideas in your post. If I'm coming across as offensive, try not to take it too seriously.
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#59 Posted: 08:42:51 19/08/2014
Oh great, FOX is at it again. This is just as bad as the time they insulted The Muppets, which was totally uncalled for.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me