Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Spyro: Year of the Dragon vs. ...Skylanders Giants?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Spyro: Year of the Dragon vs. ...Skylanders Giants? [CLOSED]
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3376
#1 Posted: 22:56:37 20/01/2013 | Topic Creator
(I wasn't really sure what section to put this topic in since it's about 2 games :/)
In the 'Top Games' section of this website the two games 'Spyro: Year of the Dragon' and 'Skylanders: Giants' are both rated the exact same with a 92.8% being both rated higher than any other 'Spyro' game. No offense to those who like 'Giants' but seriously? Is this game really that great to be considered the best 'Spyro' game ever created? (Correct me if you think otherwise) True I haven't played 'Skylanders Giants', but I have fully played through 'Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure' and according to both fans and critcs alike 'Giants' really is barely any different to it's predecessor, it's been said many, many times that it isn't even as good as 'Spyro's Adventure' let alone better, it's also scored average scores of 60/100(ONM). Whereas 'Spyro: Year of the Dragon' is universally adored by fans and critics alike (including myself), claiming a score average of around 9/10 AT LOWEST, some fans have even said that it's one of the greatest games ever created! So then this raises the question... How comes these games are rated the same!? I could be wrong, 'Skylanders: Giants' could be better than games like 'Super Mario Galaxy' and 'Majora's Mask' but viewing its average fan praise and average critic ratings, I just don't see how this could be.
---
"I have my own system, don't get involved"
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#2 Posted: 23:14:56 20/01/2013
i dont know i love them both!
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#3 Posted: 23:28:56 20/01/2013
YOTD is no way my favourite of the original trilogy - GTG would get that. But, I personally don't think that Skylanders is better than GTG either. What you're forgetting is that the ratings are based on average. YOTD could have mostly 4 or 5 stars where as Giants could have more 5 stars than YOTD, but also have a lot of 2 or 3 stars ratings; in a way that makes them equal on average.

In that case, YOTD would technically be the higher rated - but we can't tell.
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#4 Posted: 23:35:25 20/01/2013
yeah I was kinda wondering about that..... anyway, YOTD is way better.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
Gohan Green Sparx Gems: 270
#5 Posted: 23:42:49 20/01/2013
Year of the Dragon.

Classic Spyro Fan at Heart <3
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#6 Posted: 00:05:11 21/01/2013
Well for some people, Giants is their favorite game. We have to keep in mind the periphery demographic here. Both YotD and Giants are relatively simple games at their cores. But the Insomniac Spyro games existed at a time when the standard for kid games often included a certain degree of frustration, whereas nowadays many games for younger kids are relatively easy to get through the Story Mode. Skylanders: Giants isn't really designed to be criticized from the perspective of older gamers, like many professional reviewers. If it does a sufficient job entertaining a kid, he's going to like it and give it a "good" rating.

Now I'm not saying I think Giants is better than Year of the Dragon. YotD isn't my favorite game in the Insomniac trilogy (that's Ripto's Rage), but I do think it's a very fun game and is a more enjoyable experience than Giants... <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#7 Posted: 01:10:29 21/01/2013
Well it IS just a Top Games section on a site. It's not that bad if you have a different opinion from it.

I haven't played Giants yet, but I do still like YotD more than SSA (though I still love SSA).
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:12:17 21/01/2013 by LevanJess
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7931
#8 Posted: 10:35:22 21/01/2013
Year of the Dragon. I played a little of S:G last night and thought it was actually pretty cool but cant compare to the Classics
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#9 Posted: 12:10:49 21/01/2013
It's a complicated one, because probably the majority of fans for Giants, have only just gotten into Skylanders, and therefore don't really know nothing about the older Spyro games, so in that case; they're not going to know any different; whereas the older gamers do know different, and therefore have differed opinions.

And by the way, Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer is my favourite one; I think the additional playable characters sort of spolied the experience for me in Spyro: Year of the Dragon. It's like you've got to get used to a new character all over again, and the controls, and responses of these characters aren't exactly all that great. The best one, would probably be between Sgt. Byrd, and Sheila the Kangaroo.

It's a tough one to understand, but I think it's mainly because Skylanders: Giants is relatively new, so that's why it's getting high ratings? Just think back to the days of when Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon came out, smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:11:45 21/01/2013 by SuperSpyroFan
#10 Posted: 01:57:43 22/01/2013
^It's not so much the constantly switching characters that bugged me in YotD, I just honestly don't believe the other characters handled particularly well. For example, Agent 9's jump was extremely stiff. <.<;
---
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#11 Posted: 02:05:54 22/01/2013
YotD it's better in these case, because Skylander Giants it's a very new game and obviously will get high scores in this web site (the first ones rating that game should be the Skylanders fans if I'm right), but I read it's not good as SSA in other sites.

Anyway, YotD should be the number 1 because it's an old and extremely fun game from the series and it has an excellent score in other web sites.

If I have to choose another game, it will be Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage/Gateway to Glimmer (My first Spyro game >.< )

^-^
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#12 Posted: 02:17:54 22/01/2013
Quote: HIR
^It's not so much the constantly switching characters that bugged me in YotD, I just honestly don't believe the other characters handled particularly well. For example, Agent 9's jump was extremely stiff. <.<;

Agent 9 was my least favourite character to play as, many levels seemed rushed, and I hear they kinda were.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:18:17 22/01/2013 by Wild
#13 Posted: 02:41:04 22/01/2013
Quote: Wild

Agent 9 was my least favourite character to play as, many levels seemed rushed, and I hear they kinda were.

Yeah, Insomniac really couldn't get the 3rd person shooting thing down for him. Thankfully, they of course made a 180 a few years later when they did Ratchet & Clank. <.<;
---
#14 Posted: 22:40:22 22/01/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Some people are just crazy. jk lol

Skylanders Giants isn't a Spyro game, btw. Neither is Skylanders Spyro's Adventure (despite the very misleading title). Even though I haven't played Skylanders Giants, I already know that it isn't in the same league as Spyro Year of The Dragon. It's not even in the same league as Spyro Enter The Dragonfly or even Spyro Orange The Cortex Conspiracy. smilie

Skylanders and Giants are not Spyro games at all. They are games with Spyro in them, calling them Spyro games would be like calling 'Crash Twinsanity' a Spyro game. And I would say I enjoyed 'Enter the Dragonfly' more than Skylanders 1 (I know Im wierd) but its DEFINITLY better than 'Orange'
---
#15 Posted: 00:59:00 23/01/2013
Quote: TorchSheep
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Some people are just crazy. jk lol

Skylanders Giants isn't a Spyro game, btw. Neither is Skylanders Spyro's Adventure (despite the very misleading title). Even though I haven't played Skylanders Giants, I already know that it isn't in the same league as Spyro Year of The Dragon. It's not even in the same league as Spyro Enter The Dragonfly or even Spyro Orange The Cortex Conspiracy. XD

Skylanders and Giants are not Spyro games at all. They are games with Spyro in them, calling them Spyro games would be like calling 'Crash Twinsanity' a Spyro game. And I would say I enjoyed 'Enter the Dragonfly' more than Skylanders 1 (I know Im wierd) but its DEFINITLY better than 'Orange'

Yes, it's pretty much been established Skylanders is its own franchise, although it does make a lot of nods to the two Spyro universes. Whether the developers are doing this to bring in older fans or not, I can't really say for certain.
---
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#16 Posted: 02:08:38 23/01/2013
You know what i find weird? Most, if not all of the people who voted against spyro had 600+ gems. They joined here for spyro, of course they'd vote for him. I bet 3/4 have never even played 'landers. I cannot vote, as i havent played spyro.
lolwhut Emerald Sparx Gems: 4171
#17 Posted: 02:09:30 23/01/2013

Bentley had quite a small jump too; I believe that's why he never had that many jumping areas. Also Agent 9's first person shooter challenges were incredulously difficult the first few times around. I didn't like how slow the other characters moved about either. However, YOTD was the first one I remember ever playing after I took over my older sister's file. Skylanders, however, seem quite expensive (even though the technology behind it is pretty advanced) and their abilities aren't as amazing as you would expect from the first commercial. Also, each Skylander doesn't look as colorful and friendly as the characters from the original trilogy. So, this is just my opinion, but I'll stick with YOTD, thank you (once Skylanders becomes a platformer/combat game with actual jumping at any time and Skylanders that are acknowledged by their actual names instead of just "Skylander", I might lean more in that direction).
---
DeviantArt: ThatSketchyDragon
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6147
#18 Posted: 10:20:30 23/01/2013
Funny, I rated YotD five stars and S:G one star just then and YotD went back on top, because Skylanders was above it before I just did that.
Shows how close they are then. :/
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#19 Posted: 12:21:44 23/01/2013
I don't even know if I ever bothered giving ratings. *shrug*
---
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5448
#20 Posted: 12:25:20 23/01/2013
Can't say for sure as I've never played YOTD, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I would pick that, because I love retro games, loved GTG/RR and ect.
Plus, this is one topic where you can kinda tell who's going to win anyway. But I guess this is all for fun.
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#21 Posted: 12:26:11 23/01/2013
LOL, i just 1-starred Giants to see what will happen, and suddenly YotD is first place on main page! (I 1-starred just to see what'd happen. I didn't knew I can't change rating now. I'm going to change it ASAP. Sorry, Giants fans smilie)
---
Any Osu fan here?
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#22 Posted: 21:07:29 23/01/2013
Giants is GOOD, but not AMAZING like YotD.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#23 Posted: 22:36:41 23/01/2013
I gave Giants 1 star and YOTD 5. Now its top!!! smiliesmiliesmilie
---
oh my god
#24 Posted: 23:00:40 23/01/2013
Are we really going to turn this into some type of competition? <.<;
---
King_Pika Blue Sparx Gems: 544
#25 Posted: 23:13:01 23/01/2013
I honestly prefer RR. However,

You said Giants could be better than Majora's Mask or Galaxy? This shall not do.
---
"Regretting never, our dreams will be... Halfway to forever! Our light comes shining through. Reach down deep, big defeat. Do all that we can do!"
Edd Red Sparx Gems: 87
#26 Posted: 23:13:37 23/01/2013
[User Posted Image]

booo hooo
---
Don't let the excitement spoil your grammar, Eddy.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#27 Posted: 18:24:23 24/01/2013
One-voting games you don't play on purpose just to get your favorite game on top? What nice actions and things that make me wonder why I'm still trying to find a place where there're no fandom wars.

Skylanders Giants is good,as someone said,but it's not a great game.Now,YotD is in the same boat, no matter what nostalgia says,for completely different reasons.It's like saying Pokémon Red is better than B2W2 or vice versa. You're comparing two things that shouldn't be compared simply because you hate a title and/or praises another.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:24:41 24/01/2013 by Bifrost
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6147
#28 Posted: 21:17:20 25/01/2013
Actually, my favourite game is TLoS: ANB, not YotD. I love both Skylanders Giants and Year if the Dragon, but I was merely just seeing how close they were. An experiment I guess you could say?
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#29 Posted: 21:27:32 25/01/2013
Year of The Dragon without a doubt.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
LegendaryFlames Emerald Sparx Gems: 3791
#30 Posted: 18:13:16 26/01/2013
Year of the dragon
---
smilie@Jetbytes everywhere elsesmilie
Deadmau5 Fan 98 Red Sparx Gems: 79
#31 Posted: 22:18:11 26/01/2013
Tough question. I love classic spyro and have very fond memories of playing the games when I was quite young. On the other hand, I also like skylanders giants a lot too. If I had the chance, I would get the 3 classic games again. I'm honestly going to say year of the dragon. I like skylanders, but prefer the classic series just a bit more.
---
Ghosts N Stuff!
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#32 Posted: 05:30:12 30/01/2013
Year of the Dragon, not doubt about it.. I'm a classic fan and will always will be, and YOTD is my favourite out of the three. I've played the Skylanders series, and I thought they're just okay. It's a good series, but I got bored half way through Spyro's Adventures and haven't played it for a long time. I haven't even bothered with Giants.

I know I shouldn't judge when I haven't played Giants yet, but Giants is said to be similar to Spyro's Adventure. If I thought the first one was just 'meh', then the second game will give me the same reaction.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#33 Posted: 21:59:26 04/02/2013
come on people, rate YOTD!! the rating's dropped! D:
---
oh my god
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9329
#34 Posted: 22:13:30 04/02/2013
Quote: Jaggedstar
come on people, rate YOTD!! the rating's dropped! D:

What's the point? It will mean that people would be doing it for the sake of it, without actually meaning it.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#35 Posted: 05:49:48 06/02/2013
^Forget about the rating, YotD is much better than Giants =)
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
#36 Posted: 11:33:29 06/02/2013
Quote: SamXala

agreed. smilie
---
oh my god
#37 Posted: 16:12:10 06/02/2013 | Topic Creator

agreed. smilie

agreed
---
#38 Posted: 16:13:37 06/02/2013
Well I certainly had more fun when I played YotD than I did with Giants... of course, there's about a 12 year age gap coming with that. I still enjoy YotD today, but that could be attributed to nostalgia, too...
---
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#39 Posted: 16:22:32 06/02/2013
Quote: TorchSheep

agreed. smilie

agreed

agreed
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
onyxshards Red Sparx Gems: 59
#40 Posted: 13:55:05 09/02/2013
YotD HANDS DOWN! At least tere was sparx in it and you didn't have to pay anoher $200 to complete it.
---
May the shards pierce my skin.
#41 Posted: 17:30:22 09/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyrobaro
Quote: onyxshards
YotD HANDS DOWN! At least tere was sparx in it and you didn't have to pay anoher $200 to complete it.

....Sparx is in Skylanders....

And you only need the starter/booster pack to complete the story, meng.

I think he meant 100% it.
---
Blackhawk Blue Sparx Gems: 650
#42 Posted: 00:39:00 13/02/2013
My descision is to choose Year of The Dragon over Skylanders Giants. I beleive that the first Skylanders was better then the second therefore Year of The Dragon is better.
---
I love Star Wars! Especially RC-1207 "Sev" <3
"I have become a shadow of my former self. I am a monster. I am a ghost. I'm a warrior from Hell..." - Me
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#43 Posted: 03:32:32 13/02/2013
half the people havent played both games.

me? i didnt play spyro, so no votes.
#44 Posted: 15:17:45 21/02/2013
The other day I kept clicking on the Home button and each time I did, S:G and YOTD switched places from top to second smilie
---
oh my god
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me