Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Spyro the dragon or The legend of Spyro series?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Spyro the dragon or The legend of Spyro series? [CLOSED]
Crush Gold Sparx Gems: 2812
#1 Posted: 08:38:33 25/09/2007 | Topic Creator
What do you like best? My fave is The legend of Spyro series. Because, it is more story, and Ignitus and Cynder are so cool! I also like Spyro and Sparx' new look.
---
You can lie... *Smirks* But your bladder can't. Ha ha ha!
Quote: dark52
Dagnabbit.
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12148
#2 Posted: 10:51:17 25/09/2007
Spyro the Dragon!
zacoda1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1121
#3 Posted: 11:12:40 25/09/2007
id have to say legend of spyro because more exciting things happen but spyro the dragon is good so...urk
---
The ones with the greatest courage...Tested by All might and will...Will traverse A Farly advanced Obstacle....The test of life...
Pyro girl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1752
#4 Posted: 16:03:10 25/09/2007
Spyro the Dragon all the way!
---
Kakarot, I think I'm going to puke ~Vegeta
Live Long and Prosper ~ Mr. Spock
I'm stupid, I'm Stupid ~ Starscream
SilverDragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#5 Posted: 17:33:44 25/09/2007
Spyro the dragon series... because of spyro's new look and more funnier gameplay.
---
https://dragcave.net/user/Makatootie
artiste_violet Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10803
#6 Posted: 20:22:23 25/09/2007
Ugh... it's hard to choose!! But I'd say the original Spyro because it was more...original. But I only like the ones made by Insomniac. The others are ok but they just won't beat the classics.
RedWelshDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#7 Posted: 20:28:18 25/09/2007
Ok, STD is very original, interesting, good graphics for the time (still good now, kinda) and Insomniac rule! ;smilie

TLOS is not as original, the elements have been used so many times - give it up people, graphics are excellent, storyline is much more developed than STD, but no character returns, sparx is useless....

Hmmm... STD.
---
College is a refuge from hasty judgement.

Definition of a college lecturer: someone who talks in other peoples sleep.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#8 Posted: 00:21:41 26/09/2007
Spyro the dragon... but only because of the first three games and the GBA games. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Rexy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1313
#9 Posted: 01:48:38 26/09/2007
The original story arc was fun to get into up until Year of the Dragon; since then the feel faced degrade after degrade, first by making Ripto a recurring character, secondly by eventually removing Stewart Copeland and the original voice actors after Enter the Dragonfly, and thirdly by facing a lot of missed opportunities for A Hero's Tail. A New Beginning got me back into the series, and so I have high regards for the Legend arc right now (obviously).

So yeah, I pay no part in choosing between the two, because they are both generally fine by my accord.
#10 Posted: 09:30:40 26/09/2007
[User Posted Image]
Look how dorky he looks now!

[User Posted Image]
NOW THAT'S A DRAGON!
EternalSpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#11 Posted: 10:12:52 26/09/2007
The top one looks more dragonish......
---
As the Night of Eternal Darkness apporaches, Spyro is haunted by .... Maps of the U.S. and Canada, and traffic capability for just $216.76 from Amazon.com
ThatsSoRaven Yellow Sparx Gems: 1166
#12 Posted: 12:01:16 26/09/2007
Spyro the Dragon series. I hate his new look, I mean, look at his eyes!
---
"We'll be right back after these messages from Binford Tools." Tim "the Toolman Taylor" or Al "Insert insulting middle name here" Borland
#13 Posted: 13:00:27 26/09/2007
Quote: ThatsSoRaven
Spyro the Dragon series. I hate his new look, I mean, look at his eyes!

yeah! they look...strange.
Dazzy Gold Sparx Gems: 2476
#14 Posted: 14:30:24 26/09/2007
The Spyro The Dragon Series, where it all began, Spyro taking on Gnasty Gnorc, Gnasty's Loot, Purple Gems worth 25, come on that is heaven for any Spyro fan!
---
Spyro The Dragon Rules
Pyro girl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1752
#15 Posted: 15:11:48 26/09/2007
Yeah! You said a mouthful, Dazzy! And I definitely much prefer Spyro's original look! STD is as absolute classic!
---
Kakarot, I think I'm going to puke ~Vegeta
Live Long and Prosper ~ Mr. Spock
I'm stupid, I'm Stupid ~ Starscream
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#16 Posted: 15:41:46 26/09/2007
The original series and the LoS series are two entirely different games for me. Ultimately, I probably like the original three best (especially the first one) because of nostalgia and they're so dang trippy. But I do love the LoS series as well.

In regards to the new Spyro looking dorky: please keep in mind that he is supposed to be a realistic dragon. When you combine certain animals (in Spyro's case, I can clearly see alligator, puppy, kitten, fish, and gazelle), it's bound to look a bit strange. He will grow into his body eventually (though we probably won't see it in-game) and he'll look really awesome.
ignitus Ripto Gems: 311
#17 Posted: 20:26:32 28/09/2007
The new spyro does not look like a moron! Id say the legend series! Cuse it kicks the old ones tail! (sorry got carried away!) New spyro: Now thats a dragon! Old spyro:Blah blah blah!
zacoda1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1121
#18 Posted: 20:39:39 28/09/2007
HIS EYES? you cant say that i like his new eyes more than any other thing on him!
---
The ones with the greatest courage...Tested by All might and will...Will traverse A Farly advanced Obstacle....The test of life...
spyroiac Green Sparx Gems: 196
#19 Posted: 19:33:07 07/10/2007
His eyes aren't supposed to be purple, too xD

I PREFER SPYRO THE DRAGON.
---
SpyroxElora pwns.
Along with HunterxBianca. ♥
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#20 Posted: 20:12:54 07/10/2007
I like the Legend Of Spyro Series but you cannna beat the classics smilie
hunter Blue Sparx Gems: 767
#21 Posted: 14:49:11 15/10/2007
I never was into the origional but I did like hunter, it was my brother that played them, when he got legend, that is what I liked. I liked it because the charecters were better designed, I liked the cutscenes and the action was good.

Well if you liked the cutscenesenes to spyro, go on this thread and it'll give you links to 2 good playlists on youtube.
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=2029
Last edited at 14:52:53 15/10/2007 by hunter
Michael Yellow Sparx Gems: 1326
#22 Posted: 18:59:40 15/10/2007
Oh, the Legend series. Firstly, the character models are more realistic and are better, and secondly, because the games of the Legend series are actually linked.
emberelora Emerald Sparx Gems: 3059
#23 Posted: 19:32:49 15/10/2007
STD! STD! yup. you guessed it. Spyro the dragon series. the insomniac crew made tasks in their levels. which made the world challenging and make you play more. The legend of spyro series is good. but nothing beats chillin' out on the spyro the dragon trilogy, doing awesome glitches!!!
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
me Fodder
#24 Posted: 17:45:13 20/10/2007
LOS for storyline...hmm...STD for gameplay....
LOS!!! Woot LOS rocks
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#25 Posted: 18:00:57 20/10/2007
I'd have to say TLOS because now he got a girlfriend!!!

Why are all of you rooting for the STD's?? They kill tons of people every year!!

OK stupid joke alert, I just couldn't resist
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
Last edited at 18:04:14 20/10/2007 by SpyroxCynder
emberelora Emerald Sparx Gems: 3059
#26 Posted: 18:06:20 20/10/2007
i do like the LOS series, it's just that i've liked the STD series longer. And it's kinda hard for me to change.
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
#27 Posted: 18:10:34 20/10/2007
Yeah the STD series is the one 'that started it all'
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
Dragginwings Gold Sparx Gems: 2279
#28 Posted: 19:18:11 21/10/2007
I would probably like Legend better, because of what michael said. I'm getting TEN on Tuesday, so I'll get back with you.

EDIT: Nah, I prefer Spyro the dragon.
Last edited at 01:57:26 30/10/2007 by Dragginwings
iloveJames Red Sparx Gems: 12
#29 Posted: 22:15:43 29/10/2007
I like the top picture best.
---
smilie I'm Cynder's number one fan, please! smilie
Last edited at 22:18:14 29/10/2007 by iloveJames
Captain Spyro Red Sparx Gems: 65
#30 Posted: 23:41:30 29/10/2007
Why not both? smilie

For me to share my opinion, I just believe it would be best to split up the Spyro the Dragon series series into different segments. Not based on timeline, just preference. And just because I list the TLoS series on the bottom doesn't mean I hate it. I'm just trying to logically explain my position starting with the Spyro series and ending with the Legend series. Anywho...

To start off, I have a natural tendency to side with the Insomniac trilogy mainly because those three games started it all. Out of all the games, they feel the freshest and feel like genuine 3D platformers. All three games just have that almost perfect combination of ingredients to make them that special. Not too mention, they rank the highest out of all the games when it comes to the 'fun factor.'

After them, I would would put the Digital Eclipse GBA Spyro trilogy and Spyro: A Hero's Tail after the Insomniac trilogy. Why? These four games are the most successful in trying to capture what made Spyro 'Spyro' after mess that was EtD. Now, saying that, these games also felt rehashed and just didn't have the spark that the original trilogy had. The games were still fun, however. I appreciate that Digital Eclipse and Eurocom put in the effort to not just cash in on Spyro, but to actually try and make some fun games. The GBA trilogy and AHT were just that. Nothing new, but fun.

After that, Spyro Orange and Shadow Legacy fall into this category. These two games are good for what they are, but they aren't really anything special. They fell short of the marks placed by AHT and the Digital Eclipse GBA trilogy. Orange, while fun in its own right, just kinda felt...put together with only modest inspiration. Shadow Legacy...I really don't know. I'd have to play it again. Not bad, but nothing really special.

Then, of course, there's the trainwreck known as Enter the Dragonfly. Now, I'll stop short of calling it a bad game. If you leave out the glitches and some stuff like that, then the game would've been pretty good. We have music by Stewart Copeland, Spyro's voice by Tom Kenny, and a promising adventure. Unfortunately, it's the glitches that really make this game unplayable. Yes, I played through and beat the game, but not only was it unplayable, it felt TOTALLY uninspired. I give Orange and Shadow Legacy credit here, but EtD seriouly falls flat in this respect. Good ideas, poor execution.

Now, that just leaves the Legend of Spyro series. And I reiterate, don't read into it being placed below EtD. Why? Because this series is pretty darned good. I give Krome and Vivendi SERIOUS credit for having the guts to reinvent the series and take it to a new direction. Now, I have only played A New Beginning, but what I played, I enjoyed A LOT. Spyro certainly has a lot of potential here. To me, this one game has breathed new life into a series which I followed and loved since 1998. It basically got me looking forward to Spyro games again after Shadow Legacy. The combat system was fun, the music was AWESOME (love yah Copeland, but orchestral freakin RULES), I absolutely adored the story, and the production values were commendable. On the other hand, in similar fashion to AHT, some things felt rehashed. Regardless, I tip my hat to Krome.

Now, my final answer...is that I choose both. Why? Cause they're different and they're fun. I can't compare either series. Plus, it's a little unfair to compare a series of 2 games (so far) with a series of 10 games (5 console, 5 handheld). In the end, while I have a natural preference towards the Insomniac trilogy, I love them both. smilie

I'm am no Spyro the Dragon fan. I am no Legend of Spyro fan. I am a Spyro fan, plan and simple.
---
Bob: So, what will you do next?

Spyro: I'd say the sky's the limit!
destroyer2424 Green Sparx Gems: 341
#31 Posted: 04:10:21 31/10/2007
legend all the way
---
the legend of spyro is my favorite series of spyro games
I love playing the banjo and kazooie series
http://forums.kameo.com/forums/default.aspx
Dragongyrl1000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1939
#32 Posted: 11:30:34 31/10/2007
I say both actually. I like both because both of them look very cute, but if I was to choose one, then it would probably be the new one.
---
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who do matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess
Spyro_is_cute Red Sparx Gems: 57
#33 Posted: 12:56:52 31/10/2007
The legend of Spyro! Spyro looks so much better now!
---
I finally got TEN on PS2!!
Its really COOL!!
Last edited at 12:58:35 31/10/2007 by Spyro_is_cute
Crush Gold Sparx Gems: 2812
#34 Posted: 16:50:23 31/10/2007 | Topic Creator
Couldn't agree moresmilie
---
You can lie... *Smirks* But your bladder can't. Ha ha ha!
Quote: dark52
Dagnabbit.
robby Yellow Sparx Gems: 1513
#35 Posted: 20:39:59 31/10/2007
my favroite spyro game hmmm.........
probley year of the dragon coz thats the first game i got good times good times
---
Ya rite chaps
RenanSpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1619
#36 Posted: 15:50:51 02/11/2007
I like both of them, but I don't like Spyro's new look too much... (because of His face and specially his eyes). After all, I think TLoS is a bit better, but still has a lot to improve...
---
Classic Spyro rocks!
#37 Posted: 19:23:39 03/11/2007
legend of spyro is becoming better and better

hope more tlos are coming
---
Dragongyrl1000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1939
#38 Posted: 00:11:52 04/11/2007
Yup. It sure is. I just hope that they make the third sequel to TEN longer and harder!! I like games being difficult because it makes you do the same thing over and over again if you die and because it takes longer for you to beat it. I don't know why, but I just do. I don't like games that are too easy, like ANB.
---
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who do matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess
#39 Posted: 01:38:18 04/11/2007
eternal night was better than anb but I dont like sparx's new voice

david spade was better at sparx;s voice
---
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#40 Posted: 15:04:23 04/11/2007
The original series was colourful and kiddy and thats what got me into Spyro. The Legend of Spyro series is more dark and I'm not in favour of the whole fighting over platforming. I like ANB, but the fight scenes are too frequent (DS version I own).

I choose Spyro the Dragon. I liked it better that way, but I do like the new legend trilogy also.
#41 Posted: 11:12:08 08/11/2007
okay, you know whats messed up, is at wendys, they have a pic of spyro on the bag, i think its on the shadow game side, and hes just ALL serious!! I was like what the french toast!?!? this isn't spyro!! oh well at least the key chain is like the cutest thing eva!!! *squeals with girlsih voice*
---
SweetyPieGeri Red Sparx Gems: 45
#42 Posted: 17:42:44 14/11/2007
Totally Spyro The Dragon. I don't know why but i really dont enjoy TLOS That much :S I have ANB but after playing that it gave me second thoughts on TEN :S
---
My YouTube Channel If you want to live smilie Style!
Twilight Blue Sparx Gems: 742
#43 Posted: 23:16:41 17/11/2007
Oh the agony of choice, I'll forgoe it and just say I love both very equally, infact they... no, I can't be bothered starting that argument again.
---
As long as I don't have to do anything, I'm kool with it.
Akatsuki Konan Red Sparx Gems: 59
#44 Posted: 13:26:31 05/12/2007
Spyro the Dragon: I love the graphics, the music... Its my first game! And I love it(I love the classics)! The legend... Mhm... Cute... The lyrics are very good... But I prefer STD.
---
Hello! I have 12 years old and Im from Italy... My English is short ... ps: Questo sito รจ bellissimo! (<-In English: This site is very beautyfull!)
lapetitemort Green Sparx Gems: 177
#45 Posted: 11:13:07 19/12/2007
Spyro the Dragon... everything about the new one... just seems like a r-tard...
---
--The Small Death--
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#46 Posted: 17:58:16 19/12/2007
New in all ways. If the old ones had been anything but a dragon or there had been games like the new ones I would never have really played the originals.

So far as how Spyro looks, the new is better except for the snout.
Last edited at 18:05:54 19/12/2007 by Gwenio
#47 Posted: 09:02:39 20/12/2007
well that would just proves that your not a real gamer at all... you pry just started playing games... like a few years ago or something... you pry never played any of the originals... how can any of you guys.. even like the new games without at least respecting the old games... if no one made the older games... how would anyone know how to improve..... this goes for any game...
---
--The Small Death--
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#48 Posted: 13:46:06 20/12/2007
I have all the Spyro games that were for the PS1 and the PS2.
#49 Posted: 04:53:57 21/12/2007
well thats great, you have them... do you play them.. every once in while... do you even like playing them... or do you have theses games.. sitting in a box somewhere..... or perhaps you let a friend borrow these games... and they are sitting around at their house... never to be seen by your eyes again... lol... sorry... the old games where about the dragon... just so you know.. it was about the adventures spyro had....(if did play the games.. you would know that)
---
--The Small Death--
Twilight Blue Sparx Gems: 742
#50 Posted: 09:08:02 21/12/2007
I have played every PS1-PS2 console Spyro game currently available and I would have to say that I long ago felt that the old games were getting SERIOUSLY boring and now they have developed a new Spyro story that sounds interesting and looks interesting. However in reality I'm not impressed, the story has yet to become interesting or at least original and fighting seems to be ALL you do and that gets boring VERY fast. I only played through them to see the story which, as I said before, is pretty "been there, done that" anyway.
The OS series at least kept me entertained for a few years, the TLoS series has yet to accomplish a week of consistent entertainment.
Story wise the TLoS series is quite a bit better in that its more story in it, but it loses most of that positive because the story is tired and cliche'.
(Incase your wondering I'm a story nerd, I mainly like games that have good stories).
In summary:
OS series: Fun with lots to do and stuff to collect with varying enemies and low to moderate combat focus with nice lighthearted and atleast moderately original stories.

TLoS series: Very dark (in lighting and atmosphere) with a HIGH! combat focus and little else to do other then fighting the same remodeled enemies over and over with one or two level specific enemies in a poor attempt to break the enemy monotony with a heavily cliche'd and unoriginal story that tries and fails to make the series interesting.
---
As long as I don't have to do anything, I'm kool with it.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me