Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Remember the old army topic craze? (MAIN TOPIC CREATED)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Remember the old army topic craze? (MAIN TOPIC CREATED) [CLOSED]
Samius Hunter Gems: 9303
#1 Posted: 19:13:21 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Main topic created here: //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=128444

-----

A lot of people seemed to think it was a good bit of fun, seeing how it lasted longer than some other trends, so I thought I'd make something out of that.
Simply put, I've thought of a simple forum game where darkSpyro users across the forum can group up to create armies, equip themselves, and duke it out with other armies in monthly tournaments for the title of the ruling army. I aim to make it something long lasting that people can put effort into if they wish, like the "dS Survivors"-topics.

For an individual user this would include joining an army, "creating" your character (which would go by your username), setting your skills, equipping yourself, and then working with your army to participate in battles against other armies to get more money, more equipment, and to be the most badass army around.

You can personalize your army by naming it, drawing a logo for it, giving it a slogan, etc. If you're imaginative, you could even think of a backstory. Every army in the game would have their own individual page in my Google Drive. I'll also post links so that you can look at them freely.

The battles themselves would be simulated by me at home, using a set of rules which I created. I will then post full battle reports for you to look at in the game topic itself, so you can actually see the individual actions of all characters, and the outcomes of those actions.

It'll probably be another day or two until I can get the actual topic with all the links up, but I thought I'd give you a heads up so that it could potentially have players ready right away. Make sure to tell your friends about this too, if you think that they'll be interested. People from all boards are welcome, even though I can't post this on the Skylanders boards for obvious reasons. Bigger armies obviously have an advantage, so it's going to pay off to ask around for members.

Now get those recruitment topics up and get ready to do your part for your army.

(Needless to say, I'll also be taking in suggestions from you guys, if you have any.)

For equipment. I currently have a load of weapon/armor types to choose from (these will be complimented with skills regarding what your character is good at). These include:

- Daggers
- Swords
- Two-handed swords
- Axes
- Two-handed axes
- Maces
- Mauls
- Spears
- Halberds
- Staffs
- Javelins
- Bows
- Crossbows
- Bucklers
- Shields
- Large shields
- Robes
- Leather armors
- Chainmail armors
- Platemail armors
- Trinkets

I also have four quality tiers for equipment.

- Crude
- Fine
- Masterwork
- Legendary

Legendary equipment are effectively "unique" equipment. Only one of each can exist in the game at any given time. They come loaded with special rules, and usually serve as a reference towards some character in Spyro games (currently only LoS characters, but I'll make more in the future if the game stays up). They are awarded randomly as loot from large battles, and to characters that do something awesome enough to deserve wielding them. They also have set amount of battles in which you can wield them, so they'll eventually disappear (this is to prevent characters from snowballing by getting to wield godly equipment all the time).
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:27:52 28/04/2016 by Samius
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#2 Posted: 19:17:49 26/04/2016
I don't remember this from before, and I still don't really understand, but it looks interesting! smilie
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12212
#3 Posted: 19:19:43 26/04/2016
I'll create my character tomorrow. Or is that too late?
#4 Posted: 19:22:37 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
I'll put up the character creation process when I create the game topic itself (in a couple of days), from thereon you can create your character whenever, as long as the game keeps rolling. I'm just posting this in advance in order to give people some time to form armies.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10259
#5 Posted: 19:37:18 26/04/2016
Isn't that just RP though?
Either way, hey, I remember doing that in some super old forums(way smaller though, it was 3-man teams at the most), some people would even write fanfics with overdramatizations. If I'm not swamped with sprite work I'll see what I can brainstorm until then. You guys know me and my love of lore.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:38:41 26/04/2016 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#6 Posted: 19:41:27 26/04/2016
I didn't understand exactly how it works, but I'm quite interested in it. Maybe I will participate if it happens.
---
Bruh
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3593
#7 Posted: 19:46:50 26/04/2016
Woah, nice. I'm so down for this.

A think a certain army of mine will rise soon.
---
My life is complete.
#8 Posted: 19:52:09 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
If anyone is interested in the legendary stuff, here's what I've already designed. In the parenthesis is the name of the character that the item represents.

Lightning Coat - Legendary leather armor (Volteer)
Blessing of the Elements - Legendary shield (Spyro)
Malefor's Ire - Legendary Mace (Malefor)
Dragonfly Wings - Legendary Trinket (Sparx)
Pillar of Fire - Legendary Sword (Ignitus)
Earthsplitter - Legendary two-handed axe (Terrador)
Warlord's Rage - Legendary axe (Gaul)
Hermit's eye - Legendary staff (That cheetah Hermit dude from DotD)
Hunter's Aim - Legendary Bow (Hunter)
Ban Hammer - Legendary Maul (dark52, I wanted to include him.)
Horn of Ice - Legadary dagger (Cyril)
Cynder's Heart - Legendary buckler (Cynder)
Spirit of the Destroyer - Legendary two-handed sword (The Destroyer)
Scales of the Chronicler - Legendary Plate mail (The Chronicler)

Quote: Bifrost
Isn't that just RP though?
Either way, hey, I remember doing that in some super old forums(way smaller though, it was 3-man teams at the most), some people would even write fanfics with overdramatizations. If I'm not swamped with sprite work I'll see what I can brainstorm until then. You guys know me and my love of lore.

You could think that, but there is no roleplaying involved. Your character is you, as a darkSpyro user. The game is about letting people group up with other users to create "armies", and then compete against other users in an arena-kind setting.

Or, in theory it is. We'll have to see if enough people are interested in it.

Quote: Crash10
I didn't understand exactly how it works, but I'm quite interested in it. Maybe I will participate if it happens.

I didn't explain all of it here, as the post would've looked rather overwhelming to many. It's very simple, and there's not a lot of rules for the players to consider.

If you wish to participate you should at first find other users who are interested and create a team with them. Later you'll get to customize your own individual skills and equipment, and then we'll start to team vs team battles.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:53:25 26/04/2016 by Samius
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#9 Posted: 19:54:31 26/04/2016
join the army to kill the savages from isis

#10 Posted: 20:44:07 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Just for everyone to know, even if this idea doesn't take off now, I will still save the content that I created for this forum game so that we can perhaps try again at some other date.
In any case I will create the topic, but I expect these first couple of days to gauge people's interest in the idea pretty accurately.
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 9166
#11 Posted: 20:55:32 26/04/2016
Heh, I was just thinking about doing something like this earlier. Sounds cool, I'll see if any of my friends are interested!
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
SuperSpyroFan55 Gold Sparx Gems: 2265
#12 Posted: 21:03:35 26/04/2016
This is why I don't play RPG's that often... so many words...
---
eggmans gona pop dat cherry
#13 Posted: 21:14:38 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Skyhunter
Heh, I was just thinking about doing something like this earlier. Sounds cool, I'll see if any of my friends are interested!

Thanks! The more people we get in on this, the better the experience will be.

Quote: SuperSpyroFan55
This is why I don't play RPG's that often... so many words...

You should've seen the other forum game that I was making.
#14 Posted: 21:24:33 26/04/2016
As for the armies, since that'll come up first, how do we go about it? Does it have to be meta or can we put ourselves in classic/LoS/Skylanders or a mix of them even?
---
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#15 Posted: 21:35:40 26/04/2016
I will create my own army called the Communist Manifesthoes
#16 Posted: 21:46:30 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
As for the armies, since that'll come up first, how do we go about it? Does it have to be meta or can we put ourselves in classic/LoS/Skylanders or a mix of them even?

The term "army" takes it's roots from an old trend on Stuff and Nonsense, where a bunch of people created topics labeled "[X]'s army", had a bunch of users join up, and then had "fights" with other armies which carried over to other topics. It was a good bit of fun for a while, and no-one really took it seriously.

Here "army" simply means a team consisting of several users. Small armies might be just a 2-4 users, while larger ones might have more than a dozen. You can ask around if any of your friends are interested in joining up, and I also predict that we'll see at least one actual recruitment topic for an army. Really, how you go at it is up to you. You just need a team of users that are ready to play. Once you have a team, just let me know and It'll be official.

The character creation process and how the game actually works might seem a bit confusing at first, but it's quite simple. It will all be explained once I get the topic up and running in a couple of days.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:47:04 26/04/2016 by Samius
#17 Posted: 21:54:01 26/04/2016
Oh, though you had to get a clan name relating to Spyro or something. *throws idea about Neo Malefor's Undead Army into the trash*

where it belongs
---
#18 Posted: 21:56:43 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Oh, though you had to get a clan name relating to Spyro or something. *throws idea about Neo Malefor's Undead Army into the trash*

where it belongs

Oh yeah, that's not necessary. You could call your army "The Memelords" if you wanted. Any kind of logos, slogans, backstories, etc. are completely optional and are simple added customization for your (future) army page.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#19 Posted: 22:00:39 26/04/2016
I'm working on an army right now, so if I wanna make a topic, where do I put it? In S&N, RP, or Forum Games?
#20 Posted: 22:06:22 26/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
I'm working on an army right now, so if I wanna make a topic, where do I put it? In S&N, RP, or Forum Games?

S&N would be the place for that. Anywhere else it would be off-topic.

And if people give you gripe for starting a trend, tell them to join the game and make their own army to try to beat yours up for it.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#21 Posted: 22:23:34 26/04/2016
Yes I remember, Dark Palutena never forgets
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#22 Posted: 23:55:49 26/04/2016
Few questions:

1. Is this something that is necessary to be in, or is being in these "battles" optional whether or not you're part of an army?

2. If I want to lead an army, does that mean I have to be in every single topic involving this game?

3. Is this set up in a similar way as the dS Hunger Games and Survivor topics?

I think that's all that I can think of.
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:56:13 26/04/2016 by pankakesparx456
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#23 Posted: 01:25:01 27/04/2016
*Breathe in*
*Breathe out*

It's time to get all of my friends onto this site

Nah I don't have friends
---
^This might be sarcasm.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6132
#24 Posted: 01:29:07 27/04/2016
I want a Keyblade, please can I have a Keyblade as my weapon?
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7577
#25 Posted: 05:27:56 27/04/2016
Is it too late to make a character, Sami?
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#26 Posted: 05:32:15 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: pankakesparx456
Few questions:

1. Is this something that is necessary to be in, or is being in these "battles" optional whether or not you're part of an army?

2. If I want to lead an army, does that mean I have to be in every single topic involving this game?

3. Is this set up in a similar way as the dS Hunger Games and Survivor topics?

I think that's all that I can think of.

Yeah, it's completely optional. Even if you create a character you don't automatically join battles. Whenever you want to participate you have to physically let me know on the topic. This is to prevent armies from utilizing inactive people in battles.

Quote: The Bone Chompy
*Breathe in*
*Breathe out*

It's time to get all of my friends onto this site

Nah I don't have friends

That would be very dedicated of you.

Quote: Seiki

I suppose you can imagine your weapon to be a key. I have drawn pictures of what the equipment that the characters use sorta looks like, but they only serve as guidelines for people don't have any imagination of their own.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6132
#27 Posted: 07:46:28 27/04/2016
Quote: Samius

I suppose you can imagine your weapon to be a key. I have drawn pictures of what the equipment that the characters use sorta looks like, but they only serve as guidelines for people don't have any imagination of their own.

This is my weapon.

[User Posted Image]
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#28 Posted: 09:59:22 27/04/2016
Quote: Samius

This is my weapon.

[User Posted Image]

ew no

oblivion best keyblade
---
My life is complete.
#29 Posted: 10:47:11 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
A quick update everyone!

For those who want to know how the game works (most of you, I suspect), I have now created the basics of the character creation process, and how to play the game. I also have some art to show you.

These are the Basics. There are only about 2 pages worth of text, even though the file is seven pages long. You'll see why.
I recommend that you take a look at the "Playing the game" section before you read about character creation. That way it'll seem less overwhelming, knowing how it all comes together.
https://docs.google.com/docume...dit?usp=sharing

I also just uploaded some drawings of different kinds of gear. It's not all finished yet, but I'm getting there.

Here is a picture with all the art for the crude (lowest-cost, lowest-quality) equipment in the game.
[User Posted Image]

Here is a picture with the art of most (three are still unfinished) of the Legendary equipment in the game.
[User Posted Image]

(The pictures are not all to scale, but you get the general idea.)

These may be updated and added to in the future, but right now I just want to get the game up and running as quickly as possible.
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#30 Posted: 11:45:51 27/04/2016
So, how do we make a character? Do we have a sheet or something? Do we chose skills?

As for this whole army stuff, omg. I remember dark vs light. Aw yeah dark was dominating, then whe had strider vs Camo, I was like "YOINK UNDERWORLD ARMY JOINING CAMO"
Aaah... glorious.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:48:45 27/04/2016 by BlackWing116
#31 Posted: 11:50:38 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: BlackWing116
So, how do we make a character? Do we have a sheet or something? Do we chose skills?

As for this whole army stuff, omg. I remember dark vs light. Aw yeah dark was dominating, then whe had strider vs Camo, I was like "YOINK UNDERWORLD ARMY JOINING CAMO"
Aaah... glorious.

I'll put the character sheet up later today, and then the topic itself tomorrow. Then we can start killing.
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 9166
#32 Posted: 12:25:31 27/04/2016
Did you draw those yourself? They look incredible!
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
#33 Posted: 12:49:40 27/04/2016
IF we day, are we dead forever? That'd be sad if you can't participate anymore...
#34 Posted: 13:18:59 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Skyhunter
Did you draw those yourself? They look incredible!

Thanks, I did. I still have the fine equipment AND the masterwork equipment to draw though.

IF we day, are we dead forever? That'd be sad if you can't participate anymore...

No, if you die you're automatically resurrected, and you can partake in the next match.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8444
#35 Posted: 13:32:42 27/04/2016
Can I see an example of a completed character should look like? I'm making mine right now and am having trouble with what it should look like.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#36 Posted: 14:00:22 27/04/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Can I see an example of a completed character should look like? I'm making mine right now and am having trouble with what it should look like.

Same. I got some ideas on what I want to look like. but I don't know if my character is even qualifiied, like, before I cheat and stuff. xD

Also,very dumb question, but is it possible to act as a solo waiiror or anything? While I think I'm somewhat good in Skyhunter's army, I've prefered a solo act, but I think that's impossible. Asking it anyways.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:25:59 27/04/2016 by BlackWing116
#37 Posted: 14:33:24 27/04/2016
Rules seem pretty good! I'll wait for an example before getting mine going as well.

I'm starting to consider keeping my army recruitment thread on my signature but it's linking to S&N which is a no-no for Skylanders boards. Nobody but Crash10 joined :C
---
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#38 Posted: 15:03:50 27/04/2016
what are we gonna do about the very uneven numbers between armies?
#39 Posted: 15:04:27 27/04/2016
Quote: arceustheprime

I was considering asking this too.
G2nt Yellow Sparx Gems: 1130
#40 Posted: 15:05:35 27/04/2016

youre all going to die
---
Boop!
#41 Posted: 15:08:43 27/04/2016
Quote: G2nt

youre all going to die

lol we'll get resurrected derp. smilie
#42 Posted: 15:19:31 27/04/2016

They could win one round and then have some handicap for the next round, maybe?
#43 Posted: 15:25:28 27/04/2016
You know, something I find sounding rather Obvious. The bigger your army, the more resources and equipment you need. Why not weaken bigger armies qua resources and give the smaller armies a little push by giving them the same amound of resources as the bigger once, but since they're small, there's more for one individual?
#44 Posted: 15:30:29 27/04/2016
I just read the doc. Very interesting.

What program are you using to execute the battles?
---
My life is complete.
#45 Posted: 15:43:12 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

I'll post the character sheet within a couple of hours, and I can also make an "example" character of my own to show you how it's done.

Well, what usually happens when a big army and a small army clash?

I don't imagine that everyone in Strider's army will create a character, even though they did "join up", but I suppose I could implement a rule that says that an army can only outnumber the other army by a certain percentage, so there would effectively be a limit to how many guys you could field in a battle.

Still, building an army is part of this game, so if you want to get bigger you need to try to find more guys. Try asking around.

Quote: MagicFizz
I just read the doc. Very interesting.

What program are you using to execute the battles?

I'm going to do it by hand like the seasoned, dice-rolling nerd that I am.

Rules seem pretty good! I'll wait for an example before getting mine going as well.

I'm starting to consider keeping my army recruitment thread on my signature but it's linking to S&N which is a no-no for Skylanders boards. Nobody but Crash10 joined :C

If you have friends there you could ask them personally if they're interested in beating up S&N- users. The game is not exclusive to any one board, so they may join up just as well if they're interested.

And if it's a problem that current topic is in S&N, I'll create the main one in Forum Games tomorrow.
#46 Posted: 15:48:04 27/04/2016
My friends are all on other armies :C was just too late to invite I guess,couldn't do anything about it since I was on the street.
---
#47 Posted: 15:54:22 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
My friends are all on other armies :C was just too late to invite I guess,couldn't do anything about it since I was on the street.

Well, fortunately the game hasn't even started yet. If people do like it and get interested, I'm sure that there will be plenty of people looking to join up in different armies. All active armies will also be shown in the second post on the game topic itself, so it's not like you'll lose visibility completely if your topic on S&N doesn't stay up.
#48 Posted: 15:59:07 27/04/2016
Can we form alliances or nah
#49 Posted: 16:04:33 27/04/2016
Regarding my last question, I'll repeat. Is it Impossible to be a lone warrior?
#50 Posted: 16:06:05 27/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
Can we form alliances or nah

In theory, yes, and I suppose armies could join up with each other to fight against bigger armies in battles, but that obviously wouldn't work in the monthly tournaments.

I would much rather break any really big ones in smaller sub-armies to get more armies into play, but it's not in my power to do that.

Regarding my last question, I'll repeat. Is it Impossible to be a lone warrior?

You can do that, I suppose. But you're not going to get a buff by going alone, so it would probably be very painful in the end.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:07:45 27/04/2016 by Samius
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me