Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Wave One Traditions ? [CLOSED]
Camo Lover Yellow Sparx Gems: 1109
#1 Posted: 03:38:36 22/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I was just wondering if anyone else had a tradition each time a new skylander game comes out . To start you off. I always go to Baskin Robbins to get a milkshake after getting my wave one from toys r us.
What about you guys ?
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#2 Posted: 04:14:49 22/07/2015
I get a cake and 'share' it with my Skylanders, though I'm the one who always finishes it ...
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#3 Posted: 08:39:51 22/07/2015
I don't know if this count but I always try all my old characters out each time I unlock the new hub.
It's always great to see them again each time with some little extra (voice acting, jumps, jump attacks),

I wonder which extra will SuperChargers add.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2635
#4 Posted: 08:45:34 22/07/2015
I literally run through the stores and snatch whatever there is I want,
Then if I have some money left i buy food and eat it,
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#5 Posted: 09:43:46 22/07/2015
Quote: Dark Snap Shot
I literally run through the stores and snatch whatever there is I want,
Then if I have some money left i buy food and eat it,

Ditto.
---
^ You all know it's true
#6 Posted: 10:21:00 22/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I also like to hide the skylanders around the house for my little brothers to find.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10104
#7 Posted: 11:23:12 22/07/2015
I leave DS for the week to avoid rampant spoilers; then resist buying overpriced on ebay because they first days will be hetic like that living abroad. But if things are slow that day I risk a little and look up gameplay of who I'm undecided on.

But who knows, now that I'll go for Digital Owners I might be able to catch up with y'all and join the discussion. Then I'll definately scan all my skylanders as soon as the hub opens and buy soul gems for whoever in the last game was in an AP I don't have(happened twice so).
(and crai everytiem that I'll have to wait a month to 100% it or even play as Fiesta - sure mail is getting faster but the closer to xmas the bigger the chance of delays)
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 11:49:23 22/07/2015 by Bifrost
terrafin2299 Ripto Gems: 3418
#8 Posted: 11:37:21 22/07/2015
Since the game usually comes out around my birthday, this one this year being two days before, we normally plan my party with my family around that day
sprocketrocket Emerald Sparx Gems: 3679
#9 Posted: 11:52:30 22/07/2015
me and my kids got to walmart for the midnight release and get the characters (and vehicles for this game) we find best
---
"When your beard is getting weird, Beard Spray! For men!"
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#10 Posted: 13:40:32 22/07/2015
Last year my gf and I went to TRU at midnight. Couldnt buy a lot due to moving into a new apartment literally the day it was released. But we still had fun with what we had. But we are going to go to the midnight again this year.
SkylandrPurists Emerald Sparx Gems: 3461
#11 Posted: 13:43:18 22/07/2015
I buy the BradyGames Guidebook with the game!
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#12 Posted: 15:01:56 22/07/2015
Midnight at TRU for figures, even though I always seems to have starter packs preordered elsewhere. Last year was GameStop, I think.

I always get the guide too, and the collector's edition when they offer one.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#13 Posted: 15:28:56 22/07/2015
Quote: Drek95
I don't know if this count but I always try all my old characters out each time I unlock the new hub.
It's always great to see them again each time with some little extra (voice acting, jumps, jump attacks),

I wonder which extra will SuperChargers add.

I do this to see if my old Skylanders still work
skylandsfan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5344
#14 Posted: 15:35:20 22/07/2015
I normally go to pick up my order then afterwards I look around the stores.
---
My life will not be complete until I own Sun Dragon
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#15 Posted: 15:45:05 22/07/2015
Mine is to pick up everything that I can at TRU at midnight (that I haven't preordered elsewhere) then go home and sleep until around 5-6:00 AM, get up, go wait outside Target until they open, grab any/all day 1 Target exclusives, grab breakfast, then go sit in the parking lot in front of GameStop until they open and I can pick up the rest of my loot (previously a Dark starter and Collector's strategy guide). Probably predictable behavior for anybody who listens to the SkyCast, but hey, systematically grabbing them all ASAP leads to less headaches down the road. smilie

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#16 Posted: 15:48:52 22/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I guess this proves it's not just the game that's cool it's the hype and tradition of getting it too.
Goldfish Green Sparx Gems: 461
#17 Posted: 15:53:17 22/07/2015
I buy the stuff, then buy a box to store them in. yeah, I got nothing cool.
---
If bone bash roller brawl isn't OP, i'll be mad.
#18 Posted: 16:50:30 22/07/2015
Quote: Camo Lover
I guess this proves it's not just the game that's cool it's the hype and tradition of getting it too.

I love going out and trying to get everyone on my list. It's always fun to see who is out on the shelves and who isnt, just hoping to get something new.
#19 Posted: 16:51:49 22/07/2015

Definitely.

Each time I buy a new character, item, Starter or Adventure Pack I'm still as excited as I were during SA's times.

The toy/collection emotional bond is one of the strongest aspects of this franchise. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#20 Posted: 16:55:51 22/07/2015
One of the best feels in this franchise is opening the toys. I love that feeling.
#21 Posted: 17:16:05 22/07/2015
That's so true!

Each time I buy a new Starter Pack I usually plan to play for 4 hours straight... And always end up playing only for an hour and a half because I keep admiring the new figures... smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
jdavplay Blue Sparx Gems: 650
#22 Posted: 17:23:21 22/07/2015
IIRC for the first 3 games it was buy 2 get 1 free, so I got everyone at launch. Starting with Trap Team, I only got store exclusives and the Trap collector box, and all of the wave 1 traps with the buy 1 get 1 for $1 sale. Stuck to my guns and only bought new chars when they were at least 30% off. Worked out rather well, so I'll do the same for SuperChargers.
#23 Posted: 17:27:40 22/07/2015
Since I usually can't play the game straight away when I get them(mail, meaning weekday, meaning uni or other places to go), I usually spend much more time admiring the figures or the packaging before anything anyway. I just feel silly spinning it around near my face but sometimes the details are just that good(got really surprised with you need a few looks to notice the damage in some of the Trap Masters' armor).
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#24 Posted: 17:38:03 22/07/2015
i always go to a TRU/Gamestop when it it opens. this year it's TRU, like the last vv game.

I have a pre-ordered copy of the wii u regular starter at gamestop, plus i want to get Stormblade, Fiesta, Dive-Clops, and the Gill Grunt racing pack.

So why be at TRU, you ask? 2 words-

Dark Bowser.

This year, i'm gonna try to find a TRU doing a midnight launch.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:10:06 22/07/2015 by ZapNorris
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#25 Posted: 17:39:10 22/07/2015
Quote: darkchylde28
Mine is to pick up everything that I can at TRU at midnight (that I haven't preordered elsewhere) then go home and sleep until around 5-6:00 AM, get up, go wait outside Target until they open, grab any/all day 1 Target exclusives, grab breakfast, then go sit in the parking lot in front of GameStop until they open and I can pick up the rest of my loot (previously a Dark starter and Collector's strategy guide). Probably predictable behavior for anybody who listens to the SkyCast, but hey, systematically grabbing them all ASAP leads to less headaches down the road. smilie

-Doug

My new tradition: 1. Digital download 2. enjoy with current characters. If they wow me with the vehicle section with my Instant Hot Streak then I'll hunt out three vehicles.

As opposed to spending $400+ at launch at TRU midnight launch, because of the stunts they've pulled.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:44:52 22/07/2015 by TakeYourLemons
boomerfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1602
#26 Posted: 17:39:21 22/07/2015
i go and play the first couple of levels of the game on our tv downstairs with a bottle of coke and cheesey doritos. I know it sounds unhealthy but its what i like to do.
---
smilieBRING THE BOOM!smilie
#27 Posted: 17:41:48 22/07/2015
I haven't played games with snacks around for months. Usually just when I have friends over if ever - I'm too focused on the game to remember there's food nearby unless I'm actually hungry. No rituals for me to play a new Skylander game once it's on the console. - except maybe always start with Hex.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:11:05 22/07/2015 by Bifrost
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#28 Posted: 18:12:08 22/07/2015
So mine is a little more personal. My son started going with Swap Force Release, when he was 4 to go and get our pre-orders. I'm big on midnight releases, and couldnt wait to take Gavin to the first one, which Skylanders is our game. My buddy runs the Game Stop, so i get up Sunday morning go get G from his mom's then we go to Game Stop before the store opens, he picks out the guys he wants and helps set up the displays. Then we go get any special editions at Toys R Us, Target, and Wal-Mart. We go get some chips juice, basically junk food and boom! we play the rest of the day. Last 2 years thats what we've done, going to do the same this year smilie
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
#29 Posted: 18:15:07 22/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I hope you enjoy it. I know I will be enjoying my personal large milkshake.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#30 Posted: 18:26:08 22/07/2015
I get up early, and wait outside the store for half an hour, to ensure I'm one of the first ones in the store, and to get all the characters I want (and this year mainly to ensure getting a dark edition, since after I got mine on launch last year, I never saw another).
---
Dead
undeadmaster Gold Sparx Gems: 2126
#31 Posted: 18:46:45 22/07/2015
I go to the TRU midnight release with my dad and stay up till 3:30 playing. Then I wake up at 6:00 and play all day.
---
I probably won't be back for like a year.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#32 Posted: 00:35:08 23/07/2015

Definitely.

Each time I buy a new character, item, Starter or Adventure Pack I'm still as excited as I were during SA's times.

The toy/collection emotional bond is one of the strongest aspects of this franchise. smilie

I agree. It never gets old for me. I just have no idea where the franchise is headed though as it seems they are starting to run out of gimmick ideas.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#33 Posted: 01:00:03 23/07/2015
Quote: SkylandrPurists
I buy the BradyGames Guidebook with the game!

I do this every year too, but last years stunk with the mystery gates and made the guide about 20% useless. I cannot think of anything I do special aside from waiting at the store's door to get my game and figures and then going off to play the game for hours on end. Oh and of course I'll waffle on Dark Spyro about the game thoughout the entire day. smilie
---
Stay Cool!
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#34 Posted: 01:30:30 23/07/2015
I go to GameStop right when it opens while listening to the main theme of the previous game through my ear buds and when I get home I unbox my supply to YouTube and play the entire day. I also use Camo as my first character each game. This year I might start off with High Five due to this year involving cars and him being my favorite Skylander of all time.
LimeLight Green Sparx Gems: 403
#35 Posted: 01:42:34 23/07/2015
I go to Walmart when 3-4 hours before it opens try to get everything I can especially the exclusives and then repeat for GameStop Toys r us and best buy then I try the new game out
---
Skylanders is SuperCharged!
Here`s my game
Skylanders Guardians is coming... //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=121735
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#36 Posted: 03:07:38 23/07/2015
Beat up all the kids in line and take their skylanders.

Usually for Wave 1 since the first game, I take a look and see what stores are doing for preorder bonuses, that kind of thing. if anything is significant, i may go buy it on launch, but i've found waiting for Black Friday is a far better idea. For the most part, I pick up store variants on launch because I know how finnicky they can be, although I don't really see that happening considering how well stocked variants have been for the past few years.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#37 Posted: 03:24:54 23/07/2015
I always stop by my local Target, then the Toys R Us right next door. Then I do a youtube unboxing and start off the game with the mascot character in the starter pack.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#38 Posted: 03:53:33 23/07/2015
I sleep early, get my bike ready, get on the bus and make sure i have an energy drink or coffee so I can be awake and ready to hunt down the Skylanders every time a new wave is out especially wave 1.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#39 Posted: 05:55:37 23/07/2015
I drive to Target (best place to buy the games and figures were I live), buy the game, see if there are any wave 1 characters I might have an interest in, drive home and have a lecture from my Mom about still playing Skylanders (SuperChargers will probably my last one for a while), and then start a playthrough of it.
#40 Posted: 11:01:42 23/07/2015
My mum always stares at me in disappointment each time I take a new Starter Pack (or character) home. smilie

Oh, but I learned how to immediately stop the discussion.

"Good God, when will you stop buying those toys...?"
"And when will you stop buying cigarettes...? You know last time I checked Skylanders weren't dangerous for my health. So, mommy, care to say something against them again...?"

It might sound harsh but trust me it's the only way to play peacefully without having to continuously hear her grumbling about how I'm childish and how I should start becoming mature...
You would do the same after 6/7 years of the same complaints... smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#41 Posted: 13:03:08 23/07/2015 | Topic Creator
I know your pain. I'm 16 and my mum says how it's for ten year olds. And I say why cant I enjoy it ?
blastermindROB Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#42 Posted: 13:27:08 23/07/2015
EVER SINCE SWAP FORCE DARK EITION AND EVERY WAVE ONE TRAP MASTER OR SWAP FORCE CHARACTER BUY
BUT NOW 2 DARK SUPERCHARGER PACKS IS ENOUGH FOR NOW

Blastermind=Life
---
"Kaigan: Grimm! (Door creaking open) Kokoro no door! Hiraku dōwa! (Suspenseful music; pages flapping)"
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#43 Posted: 13:41:20 23/07/2015
My mum always stares at me in disappointment each time I take a new Starter Pack (or character) home. smilie

"And when will you stop buying cigarettes...? You know last time I checked Skylanders weren't dangerous for my health. So, mommy, care to say something against them again...?"

It might sound harsh but trust me it's the only way to play peacefully without having to continuously hear her grumbling about how I'm childish and how I should start becoming mature...

I know your pain. I'm 16 and my mum says how it's for ten year olds. And I say why cant I enjoy it ?

My whole family is like that. I love Skylanders but it's sad when people always associate it with money. "Why I enjoy my game without everyone on the web and my family keep reminding me how much it costs?" I always think.
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#44 Posted: 14:00:07 23/07/2015
I'm 38, and my son is 6 now, its what we do. smilie
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#45 Posted: 14:32:45 23/07/2015
Quote: GigaCamo

My whole family is like that. I love Skylanders but it's sad when people always associate it with money. "Why I enjoy my game without everyone on the web and my family keep reminding me how much it costs?" I always think.

My whole family thinks it's childish. My dad has even tried to talk me out of it completely... and steer me towards infinity. smilie

which is actually pretty stupid of him. Think about it. skylanders has lore, unique characters... and infinity just has a "deep bench." but i buy it anyway because it's my only chance to make groot ride a teacup through a skatepark. smilie

i really need to think of a way to let my sister and dad firmly know... "hey, this is my money, this is what i like.. leave me alone."

but i'd get killed.
#46 Posted: 14:59:42 23/07/2015
Quote: ZapNorris

My whole family thinks it's childish. My dad has even tried to talk me out of it completely... and steer me towards infinity. smilie

which is actually pretty stupid of him. Think about it. skylanders has lore, unique characters... and infinity just has a "deep bench." but i buy it anyway because it's my only chance to make groot ride a teacup through a skatepark. smilie

i really need to think of a way to let my sister and dad firmly know... "hey, this is my money, this is what i like.. leave me alone."

but i'd get killed.

Yeah nothing against Infinity but it definitely isn't less childish than Skylanders.
If anything the later is waaaay deeper because it has lore, coherent worlds, unique characters and settings as you said.

That's also what I reply to Amiibo's fanboys: could you please show me a game made specifically for Amiibos?
They always start grumbling about how it was their deepest dream to play as Samus and also own her figure in the same game.

Guess what? I always dreamed of being a frickin' baby t-rex equipped with a gyro-exosuit armed with rocket launchers.

No TtL franchise is "mature" per se but some of them have been developed with something more in mind... smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:38:01 24/07/2015 by Drek95
Insane01 Gold Sparx Gems: 2038
#47 Posted: 18:03:06 23/07/2015
After I'm done shopping for whatever's out on launch day, go home and sleep. I'll be up all day on 9/19 and don't get home until roughly between 7-8 AM, catch the bus to TRU and shop, I'll probably be quite exhausted.
---
" Am I the mad one or are you?"
then, again, "we're all mad here
"
#48 Posted: 18:04:29 23/07/2015 | Topic Creator
It's a shame really. Skylanders can be such a good game if you give it a go. In 2011 I did not like the idea. Looked too childish. After watching a game play video I got it in november 2011. But one day before I got my SSA starter pack at Argos. I got my first skylander. Camo ... ( Not sure if he was out then but that's what I remember )
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#49 Posted: 18:38:07 23/07/2015
I go to tru a little before midnight to get them then hit walmart.Go to bed till 6 play a bit go to target then church then enjoy the game with my family
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#50 Posted: 06:35:25 24/07/2015
Quote: ZapNorris

but i'd get killed.

Yeah nothing against Infinity but it definitely isn't less childish than Skylanders.
If anything the later is waaaay deeper because it has lore, coherent worlds, unique characters and settings as you said.

That's also what I reply to Amiibo's fanboys: could you please show me a game made specifically for Amiibos?
They always start grumbling about how it was their deepest dream to play as Samus and also own her figure in the same game.

Guess what? I always dreamed of being a frickin' baby t-rex equiped with a gyro-exosuit armed with rocket launchers.

No TtL franchise is "mature" per se but some of them have been developed with something more in mind... smilie

Amiibo is mostly just collected and not played with, it's for the 'nonstalgic' people
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me