Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
DOTD Overrated? [CLOSED]
Ratchet Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#1 Posted: 02:42:25 19/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Who Here think thats DOTD is largely Overrated! I mean Everyones ooing and ahhhhing at the graphics which are pretty avarage These days (I think it's because they compare it to previous TLOS games which also had below avarage Graphics), Lots of Games graphics are better than DOTD, Take Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction.
Also, the Flight is clunky, Sure you actually stay in the air and not come down but it feels like there's some hand pushing you down all the time and you have to pull yourself up. It's hardly free flight as their so many frikin restrictions. The Length is not much improved i mean it's better but it's still really short, compared to Some other Spyro games. There's defiently not as much exploration as we hoped for and even the bigger levels (Avalar) were pretty small and had bad level design (parts of levels looks the same as others). There was also tonnes of invisible walls too. The collectables were crap. The Armour was useless, it hardly felt like it was on and the gameplay was easy enough that you didn't need it. The armour also seemed to have no difference between other pieces of armour apart from design too. The combat system uses button mashing as much as ANB and TEN. And as For the story, A Total let down. There was no twists or anything. It was just Destroyed the Dark master, the games over. We knew SOMEONE would die so that's not surprising either.

Before You start jumping all over me, i'm not trying to bash this game, but i'm saying that this game is not a 10/10 game like alot of people were saying. As that would make it perfect. I'df give it around a 6.75
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 03:09:32 19/12/2008
I'd give it a 5.1/10 probably. It's got nothing new, it's all repetitive and clunky. It phailed in my mind... not an EPIC PHAIL like ETD, but a phail through and through. I had more fun with Ratchet & Clank Future 1.5, which was equally as short, equally as repetitive with the combat, and had just as disappointing a story (except for a brief part of the ending).

I actually sold DotD about a month ago and got the full price back on it. >_>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#3 Posted: 04:16:51 19/12/2008 | Topic Creator
ETD was defiently Craptastic But I did have more fun on in than this game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:17:05 19/12/2008 by Ratchet
Spyro2008 Ripto Gems: 1353
#4 Posted: 04:53:10 19/12/2008
Quote: Ratchet
Who Here think thats DOTD is largely Overrated! I mean Everyones ooing and ahhhhing at the graphics which are pretty avarage These days (I think it's because they compare it to previous TLOS games which also had below avarage Graphics), Lots of Games graphics are better than DOTD, Take Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction.
Also, the Flight is clunky, Sure you actually stay in the air and not come down but it feels like there's some hand pushing you down all the time and you have to pull yourself up. It's hardly free flight as their so many frikin restrictions. The Length is not much improved i mean it's better but it's still really short, compared to Some other Spyro games. There's defiently not as much exploration as we hoped for and even the bigger levels (Avalar) were pretty small and had bad level design (parts of levels looks the same as others). There was also tonnes of invisible walls too. The collectables were crap. The Armour was useless, it hardly felt like it was on and the gameplay was easy enough that you didn't need it. The armour also seemed to have no difference between other pieces of armour apart from design too. The combat system uses button mashing as much as ANB and TEN. And as For the story, A Total let down. There was no twists or anything. It was just Destroyed the Dark master, the games over. We knew SOMEONE would die so that's not surprising either.

Before You start jumping all over me, i'm not trying to bash this game, but i'm saying that this game is not a 10/10 game like alot of people were saying. As that would make it perfect. I'df give it around a 6.75

DotD was a waste... smilie
Cynder_Rox Gold Sparx Gems: 2322
#5 Posted: 05:23:20 19/12/2008
It had great potential...Just should have taken more time to do it...
#6 Posted: 11:19:22 19/12/2008 | Topic Creator
It Defiently was Not what We hoped, Or what they could do with a character like Spyro anyway.
Crush Gold Sparx Gems: 2812
#7 Posted: 12:05:04 19/12/2008
Quote: Skyqueen
Quote: Spyro2008

NO! DOTD WAS SO NOT A WASTE!!!!!! IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SPYRO GAMES EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD U SAY THAT??? AND ANYWAY, DRAGONS HAVE TO FLAP THEIR WINGS IF THEY WANT TO STAY IN THE AIR! THEY STORY WAS NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT NOT! A TOLTAL LET DOWN!! THE COMBAT SYESTEM WAS AWESOME!!!! THE LEVELS WHERE GREAT TO EXSLORE!!!! U MUST SEE THAT SIERRA PUT ALL THAT EFFORT INTO DOTD! AND U SAY IT SUCKS!!!!!! ARGH!

Let him say what he want. It his oponion. Live with it!
But this is my oponion: I think DOTD is a great game.
---
You can lie... *Smirks* But your bladder can't. Ha ha ha!
Quote: dark52
Dagnabbit.
Tango Gold Sparx Gems: 2076
#8 Posted: 15:27:35 19/12/2008
Not more
"ORINGINALS ARE BEST"
"TLOS SUCKS"
"DOTD SUCKS"

Topics...*groan*
#9 Posted: 15:35:34 19/12/2008

DotD was a waste... >_>

NO! DOTD WAS SO NOT A WASTE!!!!!! IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SPYRO GAMES EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD U SAY THAT??? AND ANYWAY, DRAGONS HAVE TO FLAP THEIR WINGS IF THEY WANT TO STAY IN THE AIR! THEY STORY WAS NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT NOT! A TOLTAL LET DOWN!! THE COMBAT SYESTEM WAS AWESOME!!!! THE LEVELS WHERE GREAT TO EXSLORE!!!! U MUST SEE THAT SIERRA PUT ALL THAT EFFORT INTO DOTD! AND U SAY IT SUCKS!!!!!! ARGH!

To counter:

We can say it was bad because this is the internet and we have the freedom to express our opinion...
Yes, dragons have to flap there wings, you could flap wings in the speedway levels in the Original trilogy. But Spyro's not supposed to be a good flier. By having free flight, it killed a major running joke in the series...
The story was riddled with certain annoying cliches and much more! e_e
---
Crashdude55 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1090
#10 Posted: 16:18:05 19/12/2008

Jesus Christ, fangirls.
#11 Posted: 21:24:21 19/12/2008
I can't see why people react like that over others oponions. Isn't it more important what you think yourself?
---
Dagnabbit.
#12 Posted: 22:03:53 19/12/2008
Eh, it's a cycle. If you ask me, fans of the original trilogy are just PO'd because Insomniac chose to take the big-eared Lombax and his metal backpack to the next-gen consoles instead of Spyro. And the LoS fans are just angry at the original trilogy fans for ridiculing these games so much. I really think that most of the Legend fans are actually much younger than the Insomniac fans, which is WHY they think LoS is incredible. Let 'em mature a little, then try their hands at a game series that's really challenging like Halo or Devil May Cry and they might finally come to some sort of realization. >_>
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#13 Posted: 00:45:42 20/12/2008
Quote: HIR
Eh, it's a cycle. If you ask me, fans of the original trilogy are just PO'd because Insomniac chose to take the big-eared Lombax and his metal backpack to the next-gen consoles instead of Spyro. And the LoS fans are just angry at the original trilogy fans for ridiculing these games so much. I really think that most of the Legend fans are actually much younger than the Insomniac fans, which is WHY they think LoS is incredible. Let 'em mature a little, then try their hands at a game series that's really challenging like Halo or Devil May Cry and they might finally come to some sort of realization. smilie

Yeah, Spyro fans who has stuck with Spyro since his first PS1 game and enjoyed all of them til DotD will find negative opinions about the LoS series rather offending. Plus, Insomniac ran out of ideas for Spyro and gave the game series to someone else in hopes of continuing or renewing the series in a new light.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:57:53 20/12/2008 by Aura24
#14 Posted: 02:02:28 20/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Yeah, We can't blame Insomniac. It's obvious they were running out of ideas and they WANTED to do something different.

Oh and Tango, I am just saying taht DOTD is not 100% like all these people say it is. It's gamplay has somewhat more features than different games, but this does not make it the best.
#15 Posted: 09:57:45 20/12/2008
Quote: Aura24
Quote: HIR
Eh, it's a cycle. If you ask me, fans of the original trilogy are just PO'd because Insomniac chose to take the big-eared Lombax and his metal backpack to the next-gen consoles instead of Spyro. And the LoS fans are just angry at the original trilogy fans for ridiculing these games so much. I really think that most of the Legend fans are actually much younger than the Insomniac fans, which is WHY they think LoS is incredible. Let 'em mature a little, then try their hands at a game series that's really challenging like Halo or Devil May Cry and they might finally come to some sort of realization. smilie

Yeah, Spyro fans who has stuck with Spyro since his first PS1 game and enjoyed all of them til DotD will find negative opinions about the LoS series rather offending. Plus, Insomniac ran out of ideas for Spyro and gave the game series to someone else in hopes of continuing or renewing the series in a new light.

I stick with all the Spyro games everytime they came out. I got all of them. I was a fan of the original, until LoS came. And by the username, I was fan of the original when I joined this sitesmilie
---
Dagnabbit.
#16 Posted: 13:22:13 20/12/2008
Yeah, We can't blame Insomniac. It's obvious they were running out of ideas and they WANTED to do something different.

Oh and Tango, I am just saying taht DOTD is not 100% like all these people say it is. It's gamplay has somewhat more features than different games, but this does not make it the best.

No game is 100% what people say.
Doppel Yellow Sparx Gems: 1244
#17 Posted: 15:07:03 20/12/2008
Quote: Crush

Let him say what he want. It his oponion. Live with it!
But this is my oponion: I think DOTD is a great game.

Her opinion, GO SUCK IT! smilie

I'll play this for myself!
#18 Posted: 16:43:45 20/12/2008
Uh... huh?! o.0
---
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#19 Posted: 18:32:41 20/12/2008
That's Doppel for you.

Doppel, the point was, there's no need to yell at people for having an opinion. She can love DotD as much as she wants as long as she doesn't annoy people by being an unreasonable, screaming fangirl, like in that post. Nobody cares that she likes DotD; they just care that she's being annoying by posting in all caps, not to mention overreacting to the fact that people disagree with her.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:34:15 20/12/2008 by Stormy
#20 Posted: 22:13:16 20/12/2008
Yeah, the all-caps rant did over-do it just a smidge. ~_^
---
Cynder_543 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1277
#21 Posted: 02:30:03 21/12/2008

Um Skyqueen, its HIS own opineon. Plz just deal with it...
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Spyroboy Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12336
#22 Posted: 03:48:07 21/12/2008
ETD was defiently Craptastic But I did have more fun on in than this game.

smilie It was funny how you could go right through the gates without unlocking them smiliesmilie
---
「恋愛なんてだっさー‼ヤングは迷わずテクノブレイク一択でしょ‼」
elder volteer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1663
#23 Posted: 15:16:01 21/12/2008
.....well im young and i have about 5 or 6 old spyro games and to tell you the truth i was waiting all that time thinking when the crap are they gonna let him fly and now he realy dose and you guys all put it down i sware you guys are pardy popers DotD was a great game so i dont know why you guys have to put it down i agree i wish it was a longer game and all but the LoS has a good story line and DotD had some good suprises in it and know spyro looks like a real dragon in the old ones he had like a flat face it looked retarted...
---
Brawl!!! Friend meh!
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=31744&page=1#2003580
#24 Posted: 01:21:23 22/12/2008
^ Once again, people have there OWN opeions. smilie Why don't you "TLOS lovers" just stop ditching the "originals lovers". smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:22:32 22/12/2008 by Cynder_543
#25 Posted: 01:44:47 22/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Quote: Tango

No game is 100% what people say.

Exaculy.Just some peop can't get over "ONG YOU CAN FLY !!!11111" and "OMG, PLAY AS CYNDER!!!11111ONEONEONE".
The games Good, But not 100%, Nor is it 99.9% (Which is pretty much 100% with one tiny little fault, but this game has major faults)
randomwarrior Yellow Sparx Gems: 1067
#26 Posted: 03:56:41 22/12/2008
Combat was bad, weak and heavy attack were not a good idea and it is very hard to land melee hits, they hardly do any damage either.

EL went flop with their first try and I think they'll be handing over the company yet again.

I admit that even though TLOS wasn't as super as the originals, it did breathe a little life into Spyro. After AHT I felt that Spyro was rolling down the hill. TLOS helped it up a little but then it started rolling down again.

Let's hope that this time the developers can listen to their fans and improve on the next Spyro. Sure I don't think they'll go back to the originals but they should remake the originals then move on. DOTD was a weak ending to the trilology, but with improvements the LOS series can be better. Everyone has their own opinion ... just stop clashing! Proving other people wrong won't help but suggesting in ways to improve is what you should be doing, myself included.
---
"You have too many roads, demolish them and replace them with streets to save on maintenance.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING, YOU WILL REGRET THIS"
#27 Posted: 10:35:49 22/12/2008
The originals were great. Esperserly the first 3. After that, Spyro started to become (like randomwarrior said) less popular and ETD made it even worst. I gotta admid, TLOS made Spyro popular again. All the "younger Spyro fans" became really intrested in these games. Spyro wasn't as popular as he was back in 1998. But soon (even though I think DOTD is one of the best Spyro games ever) the popularity proberly has gone down again dew to most of the people who don't really like DOTD. If they would of made ETD and the other games just like the first three, Spyro would still be popular today. They will proberly will not only have "younger" fans who love TLOS that much that they ditch other people who hate TLOS, making them imature. smilie
---
The Doom Song
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Please read my story!
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#28 Posted: 19:52:29 22/12/2008
I like the game itself, its a brilliant game but realy I think that the trailers were out to make it seem more EPIC than it actualy is. They added that bit where you would be attacking the Golem one-on-one (or two-on-one) not just hitting its hand like it actualy is. Also Malefor, who many of us have been realy looking forwards to, only actualy made an appearence at the end of 'Attack of the Golem' and the final boss fight itself. However, Cynder in ANB appeared in the end of every level and the final boss fight and Gaul appeared in TEN more than Malefor so Malefor was kinda a let down. I wantted to be seeing MORE of Malefor than we actualy did, I expected Malefor to be like more sinister than he is, like someone who is going to try and convince you to join him not be a coward (there I said it) and just use his magical powers to turn them evil. I expected him to be the size of the world. They made that build up from february about it was going to be amazing but it realy turned out that it wasn't as good as expected. Still, I would give this game 8.5/10.
#29 Posted: 23:29:19 22/12/2008
I hope Sierra chooses a different developer for the next game, personally. Maybe Krome or Eurocom again. <.<
---
#30 Posted: 23:31:03 22/12/2008
I thought ELB were perfect! Nothing wrong with them, like Sierra said they realy did a good job with the design for the enemies and stuff (also I noticed something, on the DOTD art galleries some of the notes next to the pictures are written in french smilie)
#31 Posted: 23:32:24 22/12/2008
Aside from the graphics (which were waaaaay too blocky/bright anyway) it was a dud... so better to choose a developer that'll put in good gameplay. e_e
---
#32 Posted: 23:39:14 22/12/2008
Yeah but if there bright then it adds to the feel, if you don't want bright get the PS2 version, its as dark as TEN (JK) but I've seen vids of it on the 360 + PS3 and there realy bright and it adds to the feel of the game
#33 Posted: 23:51:24 22/12/2008
I have HORRIBLE depth perception as well as issues with my sight. Bright/flashy = BAD FOR MY EYES! @_@
---
#34 Posted: 23:59:07 22/12/2008
Ah I see (no pun intended) still I think you can lower the brightness somewhere (I did it once but I can't find it anymore smilie)
#35 Posted: 13:49:45 23/12/2008
Um.Um.

You use the options menu! yay!

(I had the same problem but now its fine)
#36 Posted: 13:58:20 23/12/2008
I know but it doesn't come up on the options anymore, not even on the games main menu.
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#37 Posted: 19:12:00 23/12/2008
From what I played, it wasn't very good. Graphics are overrated. Seriously. Big deal. On the PS2 they looked nice and colourful but the original games still look better.

The gameplay is what really matters, and it wasn't very good. The free-fly mode was okay. The combat system sucks, it's what I hate in recent Spyro games.

Storyline again is too serious and generic, Spyro in DOTD is the most bland hero I've ever seen. I wanted that Hermit guy to hit him with a roundhouse kick to the face.
#38 Posted: 00:27:04 24/12/2008
XD that last line was hilarious! ^_^
---
#39 Posted: 11:51:11 24/12/2008 | Topic Creator
Yeah, Playing ANB again I noticed that Spyro is a HUGE Gary-stu in DOTD even compared to him in ANB!
jimmy dragon Ripto Gems: 841
#40 Posted: 17:45:10 26/12/2008
yes i agree it is overated.
AntauriWolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1248
#41 Posted: 17:00:14 27/12/2008
I personally thought the game was pretty neat. But, all I've played in my life are Spyro games. So that would probably explain why I don't have much to compare DotD too.
But even if I have played other games, I would probably still think that DotD is awesome.
Dark Cynder_27 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6041
#42 Posted: 00:00:38 29/12/2008
the game was good but free flight is you can go as high as you want and no chapters after you complete the game
ShadowDragon91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1427
#43 Posted: 22:49:50 01/01/2009
Yeah, Playing ANB again I noticed that Spyro is a HUGE Gary-stu in DOTD even compared to him in ANB!

Let's not start the Mary-Sue thing please....
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
Cerapter Red Sparx Gems: 93
#44 Posted: 22:53:42 01/01/2009
Graphics are more than adequate, they're beautiful. The gameplay, however, is bested by several other games. The game also feels a little thrown-together and could've spent some more time in development and testing.

But the emotional (and thus highly individual) aspect is overwhelming. I thoroughly love the game.
---
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:54:29 01/01/2009 by Cerapter
#45 Posted: 22:58:10 01/01/2009
Quote: Cerapter
Graphics are more than adequate, they're beautiful. The gameplay, however, is bested by several other games. The game also feels a little thrown-together and could've spent some more time in development and testing.

But the emotional (and thus highly individual) aspect is overwhelming. I thoroughly love the game.

I agree....
---
It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons, fore thou art crunchy, and taste of chicken...
Cerapter Red Sparx Gems: 93
#46 Posted: 23:06:55 01/01/2009
Of course, that aspect is greatly affected by which of the other games you've played and what you thought about them. That's what we're really discussing here. Oh, and then there's the players whom the game didn't even touch, and who therefore focus on the external factors in the game, like the graphics.

Personally I can love this game because I stopped playing Spyro when Enter the Dragonfly was released. I haven't even played the other games in this triology, so I haven't noticed how things have changed, and DotD was so different from the old triology that I could accept is as being a different story.
---
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.
#47 Posted: 23:08:34 01/01/2009
Some people only care about graphics sometimes...
---
#48 Posted: 02:02:28 02/01/2009
Well, some of us were greatly disappointed by this game. I for one, was actually content with the work that Krome had done in both ANB and TEN, especially given the lack of time between the two titles. I just think that it really was a mistake to do a developer change for one game, which coincidentally ended up being the LAST game in the trilogy. That was a real strike out by Sierra. And I'm not just talking about the graphics in this game. The controls were wacky and messed up, the flight system made even ANB's two measly flight levels seem like pure gold, there were only two bosses who didn't put up a decent fight, and adding in a major aspect of exploring the environments like in the original games just threw the rhythm of the Legend trilogy completely off. >.>
---
#49 Posted: 04:03:33 02/01/2009
They could work on the combat system a little more though...no offense...
---
#50 Posted: 14:31:02 02/01/2009
This might make some of you think.

I love BOTH Spyro series, the newer ones are epic, with intresting fighting moves and cool elements.
The older ones where longer, had lots of puzzels, and lots of intresting charactors.

I woul like to fight for both sides in this arguement, but because so many people hate TLOS, because they make thousends of topics about how rubbish it is, I'm starting to like TLOS more.

So, to TLOS fans.

Tlos has lots of mistakes and errors, but they are good games to play, most people like it more, so there is little chance they will go back to the orgininals, so why do you argue?

To the original fans.

The orgininals where great games, they where fun, but if they would have carried on, Spyro would have died. I dought the orgininals will ever come back, as much I would like that.
Every time you make a topic like this one, you lose more of me, and more of the other original fans.

Your fighting a losing battle, give up.
Making anymore of these topics about this case won't change anything.

I conclude my case.
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me