darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > GamerNation: Skylanders vs. Disney Infinity (with pennyman himself!)
First | Previous | Page 3 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6
GamerNation: Skylanders vs. Disney Infinity (with pennyman himself!) [CLOSED]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#101 Posted: 14:58:48 19/08/2013
Quote: awesomerockets
For anybody who's played it, is it fun? How similar is it to Skylanders if at all?

The game is way too easy. Toy Box Mode, for kids, will be way too hard. Too much to read and too many menus that pop up with different button presses.

My kids never had a hard time playing Skylanders, because there was no camera to control. In Infinity, they keep falling into the water, because now they have to control the cameras. That's why I stated it's going to be tough for the little ones. Sucks the little ones will buy it, and it will be too late when they see how they now have to fiddle with cameras in 3D gaming.

FLYING CONTROLS! SUCK! Nuff said.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#102 Posted: 15:15:00 19/08/2013
how is the online gameplay gamemaster78?
imanirox890 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#103 Posted: 17:58:54 19/08/2013
Quote: Ninpire
i think disney shouldve waited for skylanders to die before they tried to release their own game :/ its getting a lot of haters

Nah they should have made a better game. My cousin got it and we played...Let me tell you if two teens have a hard time with Toy Box then I guess anyone younger than us will have an even tougher time. The playsets were a bit too easy to really give you a good playtime and the camera control is annoying too. Not too sure about the online mode because we didn't try it but everything else...meh. I think Disney was trying so hard to cash into the Toys to Game thing that they let that get in the way of their game making. Toy Box is limited to the playsets you get, which might be hard for those who aren't trying to pay for overly expensive Playsets and Figures.
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#104 Posted: 18:33:11 19/08/2013
Quote: imanirox890
Quote: Ninpire
i think disney shouldve waited for skylanders to die before they tried to release their own game :/ its getting a lot of haters

Nah they should have made a better game. My cousin got it and we played...Let me tell you if two teens have a hard time with Toy Box then I guess anyone younger than us will have an even tougher time. The playsets were a bit too easy to really give you a good playtime and the camera control is annoying too. Not too sure about the online mode because we didn't try it but everything else...meh. I think Disney was trying so hard to cash into the Toys to Game thing that they let that get in the way of their game making. Toy Box is limited to the playsets you get, which might be hard for those who aren't trying to pay for overly expensive Playsets and Figures.

Ah, I see. Well I'm never gonna play it so it doesn't really matter to me
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#105 Posted: 21:46:33 19/08/2013
The reviews are interesting and the scores are all over the show. The PA Report hate it (http://penny-arcade.com/report...through-poor-ex), Joystiq seems to like it, it's just all over the place.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#106 Posted: 00:00:42 20/08/2013
Quote: Sleepy0429
https://www.facebook.com/photo...elevant_count=1

I WANT TO KILL THE DAD!

well lets boo them off.
Someone may have lost there job.
Idiots

I feel sorry for the workers there.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#107 Posted: 00:04:19 20/08/2013
The uploader put the Skylander toys in the DI section on purpose, but mentioned they put them back in the right places afterwards.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:04:38 20/08/2013 by Aura24
voodood90 Blue Sparx Gems: 973
#108 Posted: 01:16:34 22/08/2013
Quote: awesomerockets
Disney Infinity took none of the characters, locations, or any thing that has been in a Skylanders game. The only thing that's the same in any way is bringing toys to life. Just because Skylanders did it first doesn't mean anything afterwards is a rip-off! There was probably a game bringing toys to life before Skylanders that just wasn't popular! Does that mean Skylanders is a rip-off too? No! They are two very different games and if they thought it was a rip-off, Activision would have done something by now.

^This x INFINITY
---
Haters gonna hate
Bakers gonna bake
Elevators gonna elevate
#109 Posted: 03:11:44 22/08/2013
They didn't even steal the toys to life... the Infinity toys feel like soulless keys used to unlock items, not toys coming to life in the game.
---
shelbysmiler Red Sparx Gems: 27
#110 Posted: 04:09:49 22/08/2013
infinity and skylanders both r funsmilie
I actully haven't played infinity
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#111 Posted: 04:13:41 22/08/2013
The video was fun, but they really should've waited till both Infinity and Swap Force are out. Then, those who are begging for a comparison can be content to a degree.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#112 Posted: 04:17:43 22/08/2013
The game is made up of three major parts:
The Toys – Representing the characters you can play in the game.
The Toy Box – a level/game editor, in which you can build anything you’d like
The Play Sets – 4-7 hour long games focused on one of Disney’s Franchises.
I’ll tackle them one at a time…(Triple post incoming)

The Toys:
The toys are really awesome. Like… really, really awesome. They look and feel great. I was sceptical of their price point at first (they cost about 20% more than Skylanders across the board), but that cost is totally worth it for the figure. Not so much for the in-game effect you get from the figure though…
Unlike the Skylanders toys, it doesn’t seem like much of anything is saved on the toys. They have character levels (which don’t do anything), but there are no individual gold hodes, items or skill sets (in the game at all, let alone saved to the figure) – and as a result the toys feel much less interesting in the game.

The Skylanders toys feel like the toys themselves are the characters and you put the characters on the portal to use them in the game. Conversely, the Disney characters feel like they’re keys you’re obliged to use to unlock enjoyment. It’s a subtle difference, but you soon find that putting your own Jack Sparrow on the portal is identical to putting ANY Jack Sparrow on the portal, and then some of that fun and wonder of your toy coming to life quietly slips away.
This is disconnect is accentuated by the opening of the game, in which you see (and briefly even play as) some of the characters you don’t have figures for. You see them… you play as them. And that just intensifies the nagging annoyance in the back of your mind, that reminder that the other character is in there, and you just don’t have the right $25 key.

So while the physical toys are impressive; the lack of any special ability tree or customisation really detracts from the appeal of ‘Toys in the Game’. While there are differences between characters from different franchises (for example, the Lone Ranger and Mike from Monsters Inc), there is little difference between characters from within a single franchise. The Incredibles dodge this bullet (as their abilities as based on their superpowers), but apart from them, the monsters all share the same abilities, the Pirates all share the same abilities, etc.
And to add insult to injury, the special unique powers that characters can get are in the form of physical disks. For those not in the know, power disks are small disks that unlock power-ups or items when placed on the portal. That you have to buy separately. In blind packs of two. For $8 a pop.

The toys aren’t so much ‘in the game’ as they are a not-particularly-subtitle paywall, blocking you from doing what you want to do in the game… which brings me to…
---
#113 Posted: 04:18:02 22/08/2013
The Toy Box:
So the core of the game is a Toy Box, which people compare to Minecraft – but that comparison only holds up if you’re comparing it to Minecraft with a super-flat world, stuck in creative mode. In reality it’s closer to the Halo Forge or, an even better comparison, a 3rd person Little Big Planet. And much like LBP, you can make almost anything you can dream up.
The controls are simple, but a tad fiddly and I fear younger children might have a hard time. Nevertheless, older kids will be able to whip up all manner of amazing environments, while adult world builders will be able to make highly interactive mini-games via the multitude of programmable items.
I’ve already see neat pinball games and a Donkey Kong clone made inside the tool-set, and the thing has only been out 48 hours.

There are hundreds of items that you can use, but you only get a handful to start out with. You have to unlock more by playing the play sets (the ‘campaign’ part of the game), doing challenges, levelling up and generally farting about – which is cool. Except the items you unlock are random.
When you explore the world or do challenges you get ‘spins’. You spend these at a shop where you play a small slot-machine game that grants you a random piece (or pieces) to build with.
Annoying, but it’s not quite as bad as it seems – when you start, the spinner shows you a table of 12 pieces and you can reset that series of 12 as many times as you like, until there are a few bits you need. Then you spend your spins and get one of those 12 randomly. So you can control the randomness to some extent, but the way it works means your dreams of building a castle may well be dashed as the curser passes over the bit you want, again and again and again… normally in favour of sidewalks or hand rails.

So, spinner game aside, the Toy Box sounds pretty solid, and it is, but unlike Little Big Planet you can’t unlock all the pieces just by playing around and using spins. Oh, no.
Many of the best and most interesting pieces are hidden away inside of the Play Sets, only three of which come with the game – so if you’re not planning on getting all the play sets, some of the best items will be forever denied to you.
And even if you DO have all the Play Sets, many of the most significant items are hidden inside a vault inside the play set. And that vault requires every figure related to that play set to open. Each Play Set also has smaller locked boxes that can only be opened by a specific character – and that’s fair enough. It’s a nice bonus for having that figure. But the stuff in the vault is so vital, that the restriction comes across as punitive rather than a reward, and it furthers that nagging feeling that the toys are just keys.
Want to make a level themed after Monsters Inc or The Incredibles? I hope you have all the toys, or you’ll be missing vital pieces.

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, other items require a specific physical ‘power disk’. Yep, those blind-buy packs again.
So if I want to make a level themed around Wreak-it-Ralph (and I do), I’ll need to buy blind packs of disks until I can find the little disk that unlocks the Wreak-it-Ralph items in the toy box, and the disk that unlocks the Wreak-it-Ralph sky-box in the toy box. If you want to make Nemo’s reef or Alice’s Wonderland, you had better start buying up those packs and hope the right disk falls out. Oh, and if you like TRON, tough luck – those building block/skydome were random draws in rare EB Exclusive packs.
And unlike Skylanders, in which you can use an add-on level once and unlock it forever (meaning you can borrow one from a friend and then give it back once the content is unlocked), the Disney Infinity power-disk has to stay on the platform the whole time. Lose the tiny disk and you lose the ability to make worlds with those items.

Building is fun, but it’s just so aggravating how many pay walls you’re constantly bumping into… and even the stuff that isn’t pay-walled is handed out so inconstantly. If you’re trying to build one specific thing, you’re likely to get frustrated when you can’t get that one vital piece.
---
#114 Posted: 04:18:12 22/08/2013
The Play Sets:
The Play Sets are the most conventional part of the game. Each Play Set is a self-contained 3-7 hour game that focuses on one franchise and features an adventure in that world (along with the chance to unlock items from that world for your toy box). The game comes with three play sets (Monsters Inc, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Incredibles); there are two available in stores (Lone Ranger and Cars) and a Toy Story play-set is coming before the end of the year.

I like that each Play set is quite different. Monsters Inc is basic stealth, Lone Range is My First Red Dead and Pirates is My First Assassins Creed 4.
That is the end of my list of good points… on with the slamming….

I’ll start with the most publicised problem first – only characters from the featured franchise can play in the play set, so you can’t have the Lone Ranger running about Monster University or Mr Incredible running about a Pirate Ship in the Caribbean.
Those paying attention will quickly spot that the starter pack comes with three play sets, and only one character for each of those play sets, so those wanting to play co-op need to pay for an additional $50 pack of three characters in order to play co-op. After paying $120 for the base game, that stings more than a little.
It also raises an interesting question around characters coming out later this year. We’ll be seeing characters from Nightmare Before Christmas and Wreak-it Ralph, but without related play sets – which would suggest that there is no ‘normal’ game for those characters to play in. So they’re basically re-skins of characters we have already, just nerfed so that you can’t use them in the ‘game’ bit of Infinity.
If only that was the only problem with the play sets – but, alas, it’s not. It’s really, really not.

I’ve praised Skylanders for cleverly creating a game that is fun for people (of all ages) while still being simple enough for children (like my niece, who is only three) to play as well. Infinity has managed to do the total opposite of that, bravely forging forward with a campaign that will frustrate children while boring adults.
A lot of this comes down to two simple factors that Skylanders didn’t allow – jumping and manual camera control. Complain about that lack thereof in Skylanders all you like, but that fact is that TFB did plenty of focus testing, and they got to watch kids playing their game fail simple jumps and fall to their deaths over and over and over again.
This is a lesson that Infinity didn’t choose to learn. More than once Infinity presents the player with an unwieldy camera and/or jumping puzzles. In fact, users are asked to make percussion jumps and double jumps at various points.
The controls are also more complicated – using all four face buttons, both sticks, both triggers, the right-bumper and the directional pad. That is too much for most younger kids (hell, even I occasionally ended up mashing the wrong buttons thanks to their inexplicable decision to map your primary attack to the top button).

So that explains why young kids might have trouble, but that extra complexity means the game will be more entertaining for adults, right? Wrong.
While the more complicated navigation will lock out younger players, older players will still be boarded to death by a game that offers exactly zero additional challenge. You have a health bar, but it’s meaningless, as the only penalty for death is a 2 second animation as you respawn in exactly the same place. You don’t lose money, you don’t get sent back a short way, you don’t have any downside at all.
Now, I don’t have the Cars play set, but I assume it’s full of car racing - and so perhaps a 2 second delay while you pull yourself together is meaningful in that instance. However in every other set I’ve played, the lack of real death means that combat is robbed of any impact at all… just pull on the trigger until the baddies are gone – don’t bother dodging, there’s no point.
The lack of combat means that the play sets feel like a mind-numbing ,and repetitive, chore as you gad about doing fetch quests.

But the biggest crime of all is that the play sets just feel soulless. They don’t have the same vibe as the source material; they feel slapped together for the sake of having a ‘single player experience’. As gamers we all know that feeling – it’s the feeling you get when you play a rushed movie tie-in… the sort you stop half way through, because you just can’t be arsed finishing it.
If they’d nailed the right vibe, the above stuff wouldn’t matter so much. People would play it for the experience of playing a fun Pirates or Monsters game, but it doesn’t – and that puts the focus back on the tedium of non-combat and the simple, repetitive quests.

I can’t put my finger on what it is that makes it feel so… empty. It might be that the areas suffer from a ‘Little Big Planet’ sense of level construction where you can see the seams where it was stitched together - but unlike LBP where that was charming, here it makes it feel… plastic. Or it might be where things are clearly out of place, like the civilians in The Incredibles play set all being odd little toy Russia- doll people instead of ‘normal’ NPCs. Or most the NPCs in the Lone Ranger being human-shaped sign-posts.
Whatever it is, it makes the play sets something you have to endure to get pieces for the Toy Box mode, rather than something you’d set out to intentionally play for enjoyment.

Infinity does have co-op for up four players via PSN/XBLA. That is awesome, and it’s something that Skylanders needs to pick up. Like… soon.
Meanwhile you can obviously also share and download other people’s levels, which promises LBP levels of fun – although seeing other people use pieces I can’t will build within me a white-hot rage, I’m sure.

Bottom line:
Infinity might be a fun construction set. Perhaps. I can’t tell for sure, as it’s hidden under layers of physical DLC, the necessary to play through dreadful single player campaigns and a unlock system that doesn’t give you the items you need.
I can’t stress enough how awful the DLC/toy-unlock system for this game is. Skylanders got a lot of flak for its “physical DLC” model, but the fact is you can see and explore the whole game with just eight figures. In Infinity you need every toy if you want to experience the whole game - every figure, play set and blind-buy disk is required. It makes Skylanders look positively thrifty.

I’ll be buying the Wreak-it-Ralph figures that come out around Christmas, but I can’t imagine getting anything beyond that. To quote a friend, I just don’t have affinity for Infinity.
---
#115 Posted: 04:30:57 22/08/2013
Lol, you just made me hate Infinity. Good review, you should post it on youtube. I was considering getting Infinity, but I'll stick with Skylanders.
And I never thought of the camera angle thing before, I guess I just took Skylander's great camera for granted.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
rsmith11 Blue Sparx Gems: 851
#116 Posted: 12:58:50 22/08/2013
Quote: GameMaster78
Quote: GhostRoaster
pennyman did good...the other guys flying blind.

I went by Best Buy tonight and saw their space--half of Skylanders is now taken up by Infinity. My wife saw the 13.99 prices and said "fuhgetaboutit". I'm going by tomorrow just to see how much of a buzz is there.

I'm not buying Infinity. My wallet can only afford one franchise.

So, tomorrow, TRU will have exclusive blind packs, that supposedly includes a random exclusive power disc, right? WRONG! They advertise that on the website, but little do people know that EVERY exclusive blind disc pack has the same exclusive power disc, "Mike's Car." The other disc is a random disc that can be found in any normal blind pack.

So, if no one knows the answer, as you purport, then how do you know the answer? Sounds deceptive by your account, but I've done zero research on this.

I did my research. People on Disneyinfinityfans posted this info. Every blind exclusive pack tomorrow supposedly only has 1 of the ten exclusive discs, and it's "Mike's Car."

I will be buying 10 of them tomorrow, but will only open 3 to prove this point. I will then take the other 7 back to the store.

Or, instead of opening the packs and dealing with dupes, you could just buy a large quantity of packs, place the pack on the base to see whats inside, open the packs you need and take the unopened ones back for a refund.

Just saying there's more than one way to beat their system.
#117 Posted: 14:57:13 22/08/2013
I finished the Pirates playset 100%, and I can just say that it doesn't take anywhere near 10 hours to complete. I did it in 6 hours.

To echo the words of Tel above, the game WILL frustrate the young kids. I don't see really young kids, that have an easy time playing Skylanders, having an easy time beating the last fight in Pirates. There is too much involved, when it comes to controlling the camera in order to see everything you're fighting (which is about 3 different things at one time coming at you from various angles).

My oldest daughter, who I was thinking about the most - along with my son - when I bought Infinity, has already been asking the past two days to play Minecraft again, instead of Infinity. She has literally given up on Infinity, and it's only been a mere 4 days since launch.

She was so confused due to all the button presses needed to access the wand, plus either holding LT and aiming with the camera analog to either delete or edit, or change to spark mode and edit, which then you press up and down on the D-Pad, to move up and down.

It has waaaaaaaaaaay too many different ways to do the same thing, that it confused her so much, that she just gave up.

My kids seemingly only wanted Infinity for the Toy Box Mode, but now only my son plays it. I keep telling him to play the playsets to unlock new stuff for Toy Box, and he keeps refusing to even play them.

It kind of sucks you unlock stuff for the game's biggest selling point, having to earn "spins" which are hard to earn, and playing 6 hour long (to 100%) playsets to even fully tap into the potential of the completely frustrating Toy Box Mode (for kids).

It's just overall frustrating.

However, I look forward to picking up my 7 year old daughter from school today, only to hear "I want to play Minecraft when I get home," just like she has for the past 2 days.

Disney Infinity was a huge bust in my house. It's too frustrating for my daughter, so the 2 kids who I think would have liked it most, has gone down to 1. With Final Fantasy XIV coming out this Saturday (for those of us in early access), my son will forget about Infinity then, because he already has a level 13 character on that game, whereas I am level 20.

Looks like Infinity is already an afterthought in this household, and it only took 4 days.

I kept telling people here who defended Infinity, that games come out so often, that people move on faster than anything. Well, FFXIV is already going to be the game of the household until Swap Force comes out.

The only thing I can say about Infinity now, is that it's a good novelty item to own, for when gaming goes digital only (that's when I stop buying games and just fall back on what I own). Nothing more. Disney only has themselves to thank for this. Their game is a jumbled - frustrating - mess, due to all of the menus, which doesn't allow for ease of access to kids, like Minecrap (yes I hate Minecraft with a passion) does.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:05:02 22/08/2013 by GameMaster78
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#118 Posted: 15:20:33 22/08/2013
I finished the Pirates playset 100%, and I can just say that it doesn't take anywhere near 10 hours to complete. I did it in 6 hours.

To echo the words of Tel above, the game WILL frustrate the young kids. I don't see really young kids, that have an easy time playing Skylanders, having an easy time beating the last fight in Pirates. There is too much involved, when it comes to controlling the camera in order to see everything you're fighting (which is about 3 different things at one time coming at you from various angles).

My oldest daughter, who I was thinking about the most - along with my son - when I bought Infinity, has already been asking the past two days to play Minecraft again, instead of Infinity. She has literally given up on Infinity, and it's only been a mere 4 days since launch.

She was so confused due to all the button presses needed to access the wand, plus either holding LT and aiming with the camera analog to either delete or edit, or change to spark mode and edit, which then you press up and down on the D-Pad, to move up and down.

It has waaaaaaaaaaay too many different ways to do the same thing, that it confused her so much, that she just gave up.

My kids seemingly only wanted Infinity for the Toy Box Mode, but now only my son plays it. I keep telling him to play the playsets to unlock new stuff for Toy Box, and he keeps refusing to even play them.

It kind of sucks you unlock stuff for the game's biggest selling point, having to earn "spins" which are hard to earn, and playing 6 hour long (to 100%) playsets to even fully tap into the potential of the completely frustrating Toy Box Mode (for kids).

It's just overall frustrating.

However, I look forward to picking up my 7 year old daughter from school today, only to hear "I want to play Minecraft when I get home," just like she has for the past 2 days.

Disney Infinity was a huge bust in my house. It's too frustrating for my daughter, so the 2 kids who I think would have liked it most, has gone down to 1. With Final Fantasy XIV coming out this Saturday (for those of us in early access), my son will forget about Infinity then, because he already has a level 13 character on that game, whereas I am level 20.

Looks like Infinity is already an afterthought in this household, and it only took 4 days.

I kept telling people here who defended Infinity, that games come out so often, that people move on faster than anything. Well, FFXIV is already going to be the game of the household until Swap Force comes out.

The only thing I can say about Infinity now, is that it's a good novelty item to own, for when gaming goes digital only (that's when I stop buying games and just fall back on what I own). Nothing more. Disney only has themselves to thank for this. Their game is a jumbled - frustrating - mess, due to all of the menus, which doesn't allow for ease of access to kids,like Minecrap (yes I hate Minecraft with a passion) does.

Me too!!!!!
---
Skybagel Gold Sparx Gems: 2092
#119 Posted: 16:08:18 22/08/2013
I was at Target the other day, and the Skylanders and Infinity displays were right next to each other. There was a mother and her children at the Skylanders display, which was fairly tapped into, then next to it, the Infinity display was barely even touched. Mind you this is the second day Infinity was out, and the shelves were probably not restocked in a single day (it was the morning of August 19th.) Out of everyone in the electronics section at the time, not a single person even looked at Infinity except myself, looking at a few figures and putting them on the base. The racks were pretty much full, I pulled a Mike Wasowski off of a rack with about one missing, and that was pretty much all that was missing. Of course, this is just one town in one state in one country, but based on others unbiased reviews and gameplay videos, to me it looks like Infinity isn't going to be as much of a major hit as some thought it would.
---
Whoop whoop! Yellow Sparx on the day of Swap Force's release!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:09:51 22/08/2013 by Skybagel
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#120 Posted: 16:12:22 22/08/2013
...I agree 1000% about the minecraft thing. My bro is obsessed with it,and is skyping and playing with his friends as I type this. "Oh, look at my building, Look at my enchanted tools, look at my farm" and I hate it. I found it OK at first, but it got boring fast. Sorry Steve, you are an annoying little poophead. There, I said it.
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#121 Posted: 16:23:30 22/08/2013
Quote: somePerson
Quote: Sleepy0429
https://www.facebook.com/photo...elevant_count=1

I WANT TO KILL THE DAD!

well lets boo them off.
Someone may have lost there job.
Idiots

I feel sorry for the workers there.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL THAT'S WHY I LOVE HIM!!!

And then...
[User Posted Image]
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:24:29 22/08/2013 by LloydDXZX
#122 Posted: 16:28:55 22/08/2013
I went to my local Walmart yesterday, and their Infinity section was full. It looked like nothing had sold.

I don't know why I even worried. The game costs far too much to get into compared to Skylanders. Some characters are marked that they only play in one of the two modes of the game, starting with wave 2. I see no value in paying full price for gimped characters who can't do as much as the characters that are the same price, and can play in both modes.
---
#123 Posted: 16:51:15 22/08/2013
Yeah, it is like in cartoons how a guy (representing Skylander fans) sees through a telescope that a meteor (Disney Infinity) is gonna hit the earth (skylanders) So the guy panics and then the meteor hits but it is only a pebble.
---
nyeheheheheh

Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#124 Posted: 19:06:52 22/08/2013
Can we stop with the hating? It gives us Skylanders fans a bad name.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
imanirox890 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#125 Posted: 19:42:18 22/08/2013
Quote: hardcoreignitor
Yeah, it is like in cartoons how a guy (representing Skylander fans) sees through a telescope that a meteor (Disney Infinity) is gonna hit the earth (skylanders) So the guy panics and then the meteor hits but it is only a pebble.

I feel like you referenced a show but I can't remember which one
#126 Posted: 20:09:28 22/08/2013
Quote: Matteomax

It's not really hating though. As a customer of Infinity, I have a ton of complaints as both a gamer and a parent. Infinity brought it's flaws upon itself, honestly.

I am just trying to save impulse buyers from making the same mistake I did, which was buying into Infinity.
---
#127 Posted: 20:13:56 22/08/2013
Though some Skylander fans have simply been bashing the game like children simply because of its similarity to Skylanders and never even laid a finger on the DI game.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
skylandergiants Yellow Sparx Gems: 1020
#128 Posted: 20:15:34 22/08/2013
Quote: Aura24
Though some Skylander fans have simply been bashing the game like children simply because of its similarity to Skylanders and never even laid a finger on the DI game.

That's because most of them are children.
---
---
---
It's time for Africa.
#129 Posted: 20:18:17 22/08/2013
Or teens who act childish.
---
skylandergiants Yellow Sparx Gems: 1020
#130 Posted: 20:23:49 22/08/2013
Yep..
---
---
---
It's time for Africa.
#131 Posted: 20:31:30 22/08/2013

I think my three post diatribe accounts for more than mindless hate...

I think, going back and comparing the two games again, it's interesting to note how Infinity's toys feel like mare keys and Skylanders toys feel like toys in the game. I think that's something we take for granted about the skylanders model, as it's an idea that seemed so simple, and it turns out it's not.
---
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4136
#132 Posted: 20:32:04 22/08/2013
It's sad that it sound DI is worse then Skylanders and it costs more.....
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#133 Posted: 20:35:38 22/08/2013
i like infinity.

i have to say, the lone ranger playset is the best.
#134 Posted: 21:02:16 22/08/2013
Quote: ZapNorris
i like infinity.

i have to say, the lone ranger playset is the best.

I can't even bring myself to boot up the Monsters University, Incredibles, or Cars playsets. They just seem so uninteresting. I may give Lone Ranger a try, but I knew this was going to happen.

People - like me - are going to dislike certain playsets due to their style of gameplay, or due to not feeling the characters related to said playset. My friend, for instance, said if he buys Infinity, there's no way he would touch the Cars playset, despite needing it to unlock everything in the Toy Box. He hates the Cars series of movies and characters overall.

The game, overall, is very hit or miss. Even if they do Marvel and Star Wars in the future, that doesn't automatically make them good games, in my opinion.

I kinda wish I could sell it all for the cost of everything, once my son gets tired of it. He didn't even ask to play it today after school, like he has the past 3 days. I think he's already done, too.
---
#135 Posted: 21:36:52 22/08/2013

It's not really hating though. As a customer of Infinity, I have a ton of complaints as both a gamer and a parent. Infinity brought it's flaws upon itself, honestly.

I am just trying to save impulse buyers from making the same mistake I did, which was buying into Infinity.

...and i like reading gamemasters78 complain about diesny infinity, it brings a smile to my face every time i read how much that game sucks smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:38:18 22/08/2013 by kappapopm
#136 Posted: 22:08:25 22/08/2013
Think we got that when you kept worshipping his review on DI related topics.
---
#137 Posted: 22:37:53 22/08/2013
Quote: Aura24
Think we got that when you kept worshipping his review on DI related topics.

SToP STALKING ME!!!!1
#138 Posted: 23:09:41 22/08/2013
You kidding me? Aura is 21, maybe more but I am basing it off of her GB, and (put up your emotional self defense walls Kappa) By your grammar, you must be 9!
---
nyeheheheheh

#139 Posted: 23:17:48 22/08/2013
Quote: kappapopm

...and i like reading gamemasters78 complain about diesny infinity, it brings a smile to my face every time i read how much that game sucks smilie

Yeah, but don't like it as a means to hate Infinity, like seeing me complain because they're legitimate complaints.

I know some here who are siding with the reviewers who gave it a good score, like to think others on this "Skylanders" site are disliking Infinity just because we're on a Skylanders site, but their shortsightedness on the matter isn't my problem.

Infinity really is a love or hate game, but I say that to others here as a customer and parent who's invested hundreds into it, but see how much of a ripoff it truly is. I am not saying this to rile up others - although diehard Disney/Infinity buffs might get chapped; again not my problem - but I am saying this, because the game truly is mediocre. I am trying to save others money. I am not here with the intent on trolling ANY property in the "Toys to Life" genre. So, my complaints and Infinity bashing are with merrit.

Kappa, if you own Infinity and hate it because you know you wasted money, by all means, have at it. However, you really shouldn't hate it, just because it isn't Skylanders.

If you haven't bought into Infinity, just stay away from it, that's all I have to say. It's terribad.... really.

But don't rely on my review of it only. Take into consideration, people's likes and dislikes with it. I am not the end all be all of the world or gaming.

I am just a gamer who sees Infinity for what it is, which is a jangled mess of menus, confusion, medicority on behalf of SOME playsets (only Pirates has appealed to me enough to beat it and even then it was getting repetitive by around the 4-5th hour of playing), and a MASSIVE ripoff due to some figures not even being able to play in playsets, but cost the same as those who can. Power Discs don't help in easing the feeling of being ripped off either.

My opinion, again, but not absolute (NO reviewers reviews are absolute, NONE).

My review isn't a weapon against Infinity, it's just a warning.
---
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#140 Posted: 00:03:37 23/08/2013
Went by Walmart the other day to check out the Skylanders and found their aisle unchanged. Looked around a corner at the far end of the aisle to find Infinity. Fully stocked with the portal. Put a Randall on it just try it out. The music is nice and the gameplay video looks fine, but hearing GM's review and my own dislike due to the character choice among other feature choices, I will still pass.

I may pick up a Jack Skellington figure when he comes out jsut so he can make a nice decoration beside my TV in my room.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#141 Posted: 02:55:56 23/08/2013
My friend, for instance, said if he buys Infinity, there's no way he would touch the Cars playset, despite needing it to unlock everything in the Toy Box. He hates the Cars series of movies and characters overall.

Yeah, I’ve got basically the whole starting lineup, except for the Incredibles Kid and the cars set/figures. I hate cars, so I’ll be skipping those toys altogether - and in game they just play like people who are stuck, unable to hop out of their cars... how is that fun? You get the exact same gameplay experience by making any other character hop into a car.
I’m trying to tell myself I want that kid, just to unlock the last of the Incredibles content, but….Meeeeh.

But here’s the thing…I have almost all the figures available and well almost $300nzd worth of toys… and I still feel like I’m locked out of most of the content!
The problem is those stupid little disks – so much content, whole worlds and tile sets, all locked behind those blind-buy disks. And there is no way I’m going to spend money on blind disks – buying things I can’t see and doubling up.
But if you want to build Wreak-it-Ralph worlds, or Nemo worlds, or whatever – you HAVE to look for the related disks, spending $8 a pop in hopes of getting the ones you need.
And don’t even get me started on the Tron disks – in exclusive, limited Gamestop packs.

So here is this awesome tool-set that purports to let you build anything you can imagine, but $300 later I still can’t build anything close to what I want to, even though the content is there on the disk and I’ve put out hundreds of dollars. That’s just… I don’t even have the words to describe how mucked up that is.
---
#142 Posted: 03:10:55 23/08/2013
Quote: Doomslicer
Lol, you just made me hate Infinity. Good review, you should post it on youtube. I was considering getting Infinity, but I'll stick with Skylanders.
And I never thought of the camera angle thing before, I guess I just took Skylander's great camera for granted.

Dude, super young kids like my niece can't even walk-right. Watching her try Infinity... she was always looking straight up at the sky, or at the ground. It was tragic. I had to do the old "I'll move while you shoot" trick.
Until Infinity I never appreciated how clever they were to make a game that could challenge me while still being playable by kids.
---
#143 Posted: 03:17:26 23/08/2013
Yeah. Nightmare mode in later levels (even earlier ones, with Goliath drow that do 300 damage and only have about a second or two of venerability) for Skylanders can be challenging even for good players, but as for the easy difficulty I know 6-year olds who can pass through most of a level without too much help (with the right characters).
---
#144 Posted: 03:19:20 23/08/2013
Ah Disney Infinity, the supposed "end" of the Skylanders, Twas nothing but a man behind a curtain. (Meaning it seems so great, but it stinks, much like the Wizard from The Wizard of Oz)
---
nyeheheheheh

LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#145 Posted: 13:01:05 23/08/2013
I watched some videos about Infinity... And the only way that I would buy this is...

1.The toy box! It looks awesome!
2.Wreak it ralph (not out yes) smilie
3.If I get a lot of money!

The chapter looks very bad!
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
#146 Posted: 14:43:14 23/08/2013
Quote: Tel Prydain
Quote: Doomslicer

Dude, super young kids like my niece can't even walk-right. Watching her try Infinity... she was always looking straight up at the sky, or at the ground. It was tragic. I had to do the old "I'll move while you shoot" trick.
Until Infinity I never appreciated how clever they were to make a game that could challenge me while still being playable by kids.

One of the glories of Skylanders, for little kids, is the fact the cameras automatically change throughout the level, but never to where you can't see anything.

I started getting upset when my oldest daughter was having a hard time battling the camera, rather than Syndrome's robots.

I don't think Infinity is marketed towards kids very well. Heck, even in the commercial, you see teens more than children, talking about the game.

The power discs is a stupid idea if you ask me.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8257
#147 Posted: 17:04:07 23/08/2013
After reading all of this, I've decided not to get Infinity. I'll admit that Toy Box looks fun, but since you have finish 6-10 hour play sets (Which looked boring from the start) and get all characters for that playset to unlock content is just ridonculous. The fact that certain characters can only be in Toy Box, but not in story mode cost the same as story mode characters is a ripoff, the game over all is much more expensive than Skylanders. Glad I saw both of your reviews, I'm saving my money for Swap Force now.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:10:05 24/08/2013 by HeyitsHotDog
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7409
#148 Posted: 18:30:13 23/08/2013
I think I will only get Jack Skellington, just for the fig.(I think he looks cool imo.) Otherwise, the game isn't for me. Also, my sister has gone on a "I HATE DISNEY INFINITY BECAUSE IT IS A RIPOFF OF SKYLANDERS" rampage. She ranted about it for 5 mins. She only likes Jack Sparrow(?).
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
Hot Dog 542 Gold Sparx Gems: 2872
#149 Posted: 18:35:04 23/08/2013
Quote: gillgrunt987
I think I will only get Jack Skellington, just for the fig.(I think he looks cool imo.) Otherwise, the game isn't for me. Also, my sister has gone on a "I HATE DISNEY INFINITY BECAUSE IT IS A RIPOFF OF SKYLANDERS" rampage. She ranted about it for 5 mins. She only likes Jack Sparrow(?).

I think I'll only get a few characters just for figures too. Mainly Jack Skellington and the Lone Ranger pack. When the prices go down, of course...
---
Quote: Bimle
Why is it that so many people have hardons for dogs?
First | Previous | Page 3 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me