darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > The end of Skylanders and a death of a toy frenzi...
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
The end of Skylanders and a death of a toy frenzi... [CLOSED]
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#1 Posted: 13:03:16 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
this is not skylanders anymore and toy for bob have left the skylanders to do other things. we got two good games and that was it, if not toy for bob comes back with skylanders3. this new skylanders is like lego did come with 'lego bionicle'. it have some similarity's but its not lego as we know it but something new. i am not into this and there is no innovation or magic here to be had at all. you remember the magic putting your skylanders on the portal, and it did comes to life ingame, that was magic. now you got some bad butt ugly looking figurines you can take a part and mix with other figurines, its a mess...

no other skylanders are compatible with this game, its 'collect them all' over again with 40++ figurines to collect. there is no spyro in this game, so you can ask the question do it belong on darkspyro at all??.. even giants had a spyro. this is just so wrong and looks like a desperate attempt by bobby and activision to battle 'disneys infinity' game that will come out this summer.

i am so disappointed, i know this will be the end of skylanders, if not toy for bob will come back. activision will just ruin skylanders like they did guitar hero. for me i am done with skylanders for now, i am not sure i will be getting any of the giants that is not yet released. what is the point?.. there is no skylanders3 in sight where you can use them in, like you did with the first skylanders. as a fan of spyro and skylanders this new skylanders swap-force feels like a hit in the stomach.... and not something i ever will be using money on.

rip skylanders 2011-2012....
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3281
#2 Posted: 13:13:42 05/02/2013
I think you're overreacting on a number of points:

* No Spyro - No-one has said Spyro won't appear in this game.
* It's like Lego - The only similarity with Lego is that there are two things that attach to each other.
* No innovation or magic - When you pull the top half off a Skylander on the portal and put on a different top half and you see that happen in the game, that's innovation and magic.
* Bad butt ugly figurines - When I saw Wash Buckle I thought the same, but then I saw the rest. Some of the designs might not be my cup of tea, but I'd say 90% of what I've seen are really great looking. Look at the high res pictures we have of all the new characters. That Rocket dude that looks a bit like Ignitor is awesome!
* No other Skylanders are compatible with SWAP Force - Wrong. All Skylanders are compatible, they just don't split in half.
* Toys For Bob have left to do other things - We have no idea what TFB are working on. For all we know it's the next-gen Skylanders game. It would make sense seeing as every other COD game is made by a different developer. Quality doesn't suffer there, I doubt it'll suffer here either.
* Activision will ruin Skylanders - I doubt they'll ruin it, but they may over-saturate the market with it. Kids are fickle though, they jump on and off trends. Skylanders might be a 3-5yr gig and then it's over or it may last forever like Pokemon. In any case, I'm sure we'll continue to get great quality games and figures.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
Tupelo Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#3 Posted: 13:15:55 05/02/2013
I'm a bit confused...i watched a video that said the figures in your existing collection are still compatible. I certainly agree with some things youre saying, and id be lying if i didnt say i saw this coming. The first game was by far the best, and these new characters dont have the same "feel" to them. But im not going to hate till i see it.
#4 Posted: 13:38:31 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: wideawakewesley
I think you're overreacting on a number of points:

* No Spyro - No-one has said Spyro won't appear in this game.
* It's like Lego - The only similarity with Lego is that there are two things that attach to each other.
* No innovation or magic - When you pull the top half off a Skylander on the portal and put on a different top half and you see that happen in the game, that's innovation and magic.
* Bad butt ugly figurines - When I saw Wash Buckle I thought the same, but then I saw the rest. Some of the designs might not be my cup of tea, but I'd say 90% of what I've seen are really great looking. Look at the high res pictures we have of all the new characters. That Rocket dude that looks a bit like Ignitor is awesome!
* No other Skylanders are compatible with SWAP Force - Wrong. All Skylanders are compatible, they just don't split in half.
* Toys For Bob have left to do other things - We have no idea what TFB are working on. For all we know it's the next-gen Skylanders game. It would make sense seeing as every other COD game is made by a different developer. Quality doesn't suffer there, I doubt it'll suffer here either.
* Activision will ruin Skylanders - I doubt they'll ruin it, but they may over-saturate the market with it. Kids are fickle though, they jump on and off trends. Skylanders might be a 3-5yr gig and then it's over or it may last forever like Pokemon. In any case, I'm sure we'll continue to get great quality games and figures.

let me address the innovation a bit... swapping out parts of a figurine is nothing new, we have lego for years. if swap-force have two part of one figurine it does not make it anymore magic... the magic of the figurine vanished with giants.

the quality of these new swap-force skylanders look flimsy and design wise it all look just tacked together. not close to the quality of toy for bob. the new portal looks like a fruit stand.. don't get me started...

skylanders are now becoming a cod game.. but skylanders aren't made for that thing. the series gonna burn out fast with two of same in one year, costing 400 dollars for each version of the games if you buy all... over-saturate=ruin game serie...

if you support this new swap-force skylanders cash-in, then ok. but don't try tell people it is the good old and this continue the skylanders we know because it ain't...
#5 Posted: 13:52:01 05/02/2013
I don't understand how anyone can say changing a physical toy and having that change reflected in a video game isn't magical.

Flimsy? This looks flimsy?

[User Posted Image]

We're getting one game per year. I'm sure there'd be many people moaning if they had to wait two years for each Skylanders game. The kids this is aimed at would surely desert the franchise and move onto something else...like Disney Infinity for example.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:53:07 05/02/2013 by wideawakewesley
DragonsDream Green Sparx Gems: 435
#6 Posted: 14:08:16 05/02/2013
They Changed it now it sucks
boo hoo
---
available: Darklight Crypt smiliesmiliesmilie(sealed), 17 other common S1s & adv. packs (EU only)
want:smiliesmiliesmilie
The word is "should've" never "should of"
#7 Posted: 14:09:12 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
yes flimsy... just compare it to anything that have been released before... in fear for losing out on disney, activision have this new rubbish skylanders coming out.. its typical of them... and don't get me wrong i love the skylanders and the quality of toy for bob, but this new thing is just nothing of that.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:09:33 05/02/2013 by kappapopm
#8 Posted: 14:16:05 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: DragonsDream

there is nothing wrong with changes if it is done correct, this is not the case here. if you like these swap-force so much then go buy them, no one is stopping you... for me the skylanders end here with toy for bob.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:18:27 05/02/2013 by kappapopm
Graz73 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3215
#9 Posted: 14:19:31 05/02/2013
I'm not saying I love this swap-force announcement, but I have heard SEVERAL kids say "wouldnt it be cool if you could customize your own character?" Now you can, at least in the broadest sense.

And, for all of the fans looking for the "good old days" of skylanders, I'm sure you'll still be able to use your old characters and magic items. So, if you dont want a "Swap force" just play the new game with Spyro or stealth elf or whatever. (and probably level them up to level 20?)
---
For Trade: EyeSmall, Punch Pop Fizz, Lava Barf Eruptor(black): PM to deal!
#10 Posted: 14:19:55 05/02/2013
Do you own a Series 1 Hex? That is the definition of flimsy. Nothing in SWAP Force comes close to that!
---
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#11 Posted: 14:50:14 05/02/2013
lol ima gona see alot of missing parts as I have little kids in the house. I wont rage for now as im still waiting for ingame gameplay and added features. if nothings change it will be the death of skylanders.
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#12 Posted: 15:01:58 05/02/2013
i will not be getting the characters, i just want to play the game with my 47 skylanders i already have. maybe a few series 3, too.
DocCroc Yellow Sparx Gems: 1668
#13 Posted: 15:37:41 05/02/2013
I know this is the Internet and everything, but it seems way too early for the gloom and doom concerning a game we only just heard about. We knew they were doing another game, we knew it'd have some kind of gimmick, and we knew they'd be doing stuff like Lightcore and reposes. The only real surprise is that TFB is splitting the load with Vicarious Visions, and it's too early to know if that's a good or bad thing.

If you're getting burned out on the series, that's totally understandable, dropping hundreds of dollars on toys for a game every year will be taxing for even the most die hard fans. At least wait for more news to come out before judgments are being made. Your money is safe right now.
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#14 Posted: 15:41:22 05/02/2013
Quote: X-Treme
i will not be getting the characters, i just want to play the game with my 47 skylanders i already have. maybe a few series 3, too.

Be prepared to not be able to do everything in the game. With giants, you were penalized if you didnt swap to a giant in spots and were not able to complete the game entirely. In the original, and giants, you couldnt get to all areas due to not having all the elements. Reading the press, it appears there will be areas where you will need the rocket boots to get across a gap to continue on. Dont think for one second that there will be some special ability of a not packaged with the game swap force character that you will have to have in order to complete 100% of the game.

as i said, i am going to attempt to hide this from my kids.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#15 Posted: 15:46:30 05/02/2013
Quote: DocCroc
I know this is the Internet and everything, but it seems way too early for the gloom and doom concerning a game we only just heard about. We knew they were doing another game, we knew it'd have some kind of gimmick, and we knew they'd be doing stuff like Lightcore and reposes. The only real surprise is that TFB is splitting the load with Vicarious Visions, and it's too early to know if that's a good or bad thing.

If you're getting burned out on the series, that's totally understandable, dropping hundreds of dollars on toys for a game every year will be taxing for even the most die hard fans. At least wait for more news to come out before judgments are being made. Your money is safe right now.

This.
We haven't even seen one second of gameplay footage.
I swear, some of you are worse than the people who are going boo-hoo about Alicorn Twilight Sparkle just because it's a change, and that is no compliment.

And again, if you're just not interested in the series, or don't like Vicarious' track record, that's fine.

But claiming that this is the death of the series is absurd- kids will want this new game and their parents will buy the new game because it makes them happy, and that could practically fund the whole franchise. Skylanders will sell while kids are interested in it. And the overwhelming majority of kids will be interested in this simply because it's going to be the new Skylanders game.
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#16 Posted: 15:53:29 05/02/2013
Spoiler alert: You're going to buy every one of the figures anyway, and then complain that Skylanders 4 looks horrible next year. Trust me on this.
Ace XSX Blue Sparx Gems: 761
#17 Posted: 15:59:24 05/02/2013
Quote: GamingMaster_76
Quote: DocCroc

This.
We haven't even seen one second of gameplay footage.
I swear, some of you are worse than the people who are going boo-hoo about Alicorn Twilight Sparkle just because it's a change, and that is no compliment.

And again, if you're just not interested in the series, or don't like Vicarious' track record, that's fine.

But claiming that this is the death of the series is absurd- kids will want this new game and their parents will buy the new game because it makes them happy, and that could practically fund the whole franchise. Skylanders will sell while kids are interested in it. And the overwhelming majority of kids will be interested in this simply because it's going to be the new Skylanders game.

I completely agree with this statement
---
Best mega evo pokemon= MEGA CHARZARD X
SSF Faves : smilie , smilie , smilie , smilie , smilie ,etc.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#18 Posted: 16:00:22 05/02/2013
I don't know if I like this. smilie

No online... again? No mention of Adventure Packs, so we're out 75 bucks for another short game?

The name alone, has nothing to do with the storyline. And, speaking of the storyline, it doesn't even mention Kaos. I dare say this seems like a cash grab here. Kaos Alliance would have been better, as it sounds like a progression of the story.

First was Spyro's Adventure, which used the name Spyro to draw people in. Then there was Giants, which told the story of Giants. Swap Force is a type of toy. Bah, I don't know.

No online or mention of Adventure Packs hurts things, in my opinion.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#19 Posted: 16:03:39 05/02/2013
Quote: GameMaster78

The name alone, has nothing to do with the storyline. And, speaking of the storyline, it doesn't even mention Kaos. I dare say this seems like a cash grab here. Kaos Alliance would have been better, as it sounds like a progression of the story.

Kaos is mentioned, from the link:

SWAP Force takes place in the Cloudbreak Islands, a fresh new area that features a magical volcano. Every 100 years, this volcano erupts and replenishes the magic of Skylands. It’s from an accident with this volcano that the SWAP Force got their swapping powers. But now Kaos is back and he wants to build the “Evil-izer” machine to spread darkness with the volcano instead. I trust you won’t let that happen.

http://oneofswords.com/2013/02...ers-swap-force/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:05:09 05/02/2013 by DocCroc
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#20 Posted: 16:05:42 05/02/2013
I don't know if I like this. smilie

No online or mention of Adventure Packs hurts things, in my opinion.

I agree with your point, there absolutely NEEDS to be a way to add or unlock additional level content farther into the life of the game to ensure that the characters released wave 2 and on have something new to play on or at least for me, their play value is greatly diminished as was the case for Giants.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#21 Posted: 16:13:20 05/02/2013
If they don't add online, they're screwed.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#22 Posted: 16:34:20 05/02/2013
If they don't add online, they're screwed.

Not from my kid's perspective. My son could care less about online play, it's more fun for him when his friends come over and vice versa.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:36:07 05/02/2013 by wideawakewesley
#23 Posted: 16:45:11 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
so the new thing is changing body parts but it is just not enough and now we have 'jumping' as the big new thing, its just laughable. the skylanders don't even look like skylanders they could be in any game out there, usually games that are in the bargain price bin for one dollar. activision have killed of skylanders series with this crap... where are you toy for bob???... please come back!!... stop this new stinker in the making!!
#24 Posted: 16:47:32 05/02/2013
There's already a complaint tread over here: //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=73322
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#25 Posted: 16:48:08 05/02/2013
Toys for Bob are busy working on Skylanders 4 - yes, they're pulling a CoD by switching between developers each year.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#26 Posted: 16:49:58 05/02/2013
Some fans complained about the lack of jumping for a while.

And TFB were given space and freedom for a while for them to come up with new ideas for Skylanders.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#27 Posted: 16:50:24 05/02/2013
Give it up kappapopm and keep your complaints to one thread rather than spraying it all over the forum. We get it, you don't like it, you won't be buying it. What more needs saying?
---
#28 Posted: 16:52:53 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
this bamoth of crapstick they call swap-force, i will never call a continue of the series... if bob for toy comes out with a new skylanders game it will be named by me as no.3... that you can eat your words on....
#29 Posted: 16:53:52 05/02/2013
Kappa, now you're just raging over a game that's not even out. smilie Calm down, please.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Mori-DogMovies Blue Sparx Gems: 921
#30 Posted: 16:53:55 05/02/2013
There are plenty of children that aren't allowed to play online. And for good reason. I don't want my 3 year old running into the likes of anyone from this forum. I'm a bit insane, but you guys take it to a whole new level...
---
ME: "Who's this, sweetheart?" MY DAUGHTER: "That's Camo...he poops fruit!"
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#31 Posted: 16:55:30 05/02/2013
OK I just have to say what defines what a skylander is.This is like the case with the 3rd gen of pokemon with people bashing it and saying they don't look like pokemon.So if there is no need for you to hate on this game when it is not even out yet.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
finnsllc Blue Sparx Gems: 902
#32 Posted: 17:18:24 05/02/2013
The kids could care less about online. They are not allowed xbox live play anyway, nor on DS. So not a big deal to us, i understand from a strictly "gamer" point of view though. That being said, these games are marketed to children, so maybe there is a method to the madness of no online ability. It is something to consider. By not including online it is less costly to develop and maintain as well as maintenance is nonexistent.
I personally don't like this so far, so far meaning at first glance with no real info.
---
NEW JERSEY USA. Ok, go ahead, I've got popcorn now.
#33 Posted: 17:20:16 05/02/2013
Im looking for the links that they will be having 8 new adenture packs this game. the story of the packs are around the swapforce 8 characters. but yea really no online and 2 max player was a huge letdown.
---
finnsllc Blue Sparx Gems: 902
#34 Posted: 17:38:51 05/02/2013
if the expansion packs worked with SSA and SSG that would be the cherry on top of a new game. of course they will not.
---
NEW JERSEY USA. Ok, go ahead, I've got popcorn now.
#35 Posted: 17:42:56 05/02/2013
well the new adv packs are for the swapforce figures so I suppose they wont work for SSA and Giants.
---
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13909
#36 Posted: 17:45:46 05/02/2013
^ If that was from the Wired article then I believe that's just a confusingly arranged list. The areas it mentions aren't toys but parts of the level like the elemental gates.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#37 Posted: 18:21:31 05/02/2013
Quote: kappapopm
there is no spyro in this game, so you can ask the question do it belong on darkspyro at all??.. even giants had a spyro. this is just so wrong and looks like a desperate attempt by bobby and activision to battle 'disneys infinity' game that will come out this summer.

Didn't you say the same thing about Series 2 Spyro in Giants, when you didn't know all of the Series 2 Skylanders?
---
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#38 Posted: 18:38:27 05/02/2013
I haven't read anything that confirms that there will be adventure packs let alone 8. Not having online capabilities is not as big a deal for us as long as there is something that add/unlocks new content such as adventure packs, so the game has play value past the first few weeks.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
OldClassicGamer Blue Sparx Gems: 816
#39 Posted: 18:43:58 05/02/2013
I agree with OP
#40 Posted: 18:57:42 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: OldClassicGamer
I agree with OP

thanks good to see someone understand smilie
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#41 Posted: 18:58:18 05/02/2013
Okay I think I will explain what I think.I like the idea of customization as they finally listened to the fans.The figs this time around aren't the best but look awesome in game.The graphical improvement looks great and I hope they keep making them more better.For those bashing the game while not even out you should wait and by the game yourself and try it out.If you don't like it sell it.For now stop posting hate topics and go play the old games.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
WUMBOSIMPSON Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#42 Posted: 19:34:50 05/02/2013
Quote: Aura24
there is no spyro in this game, so you can ask the question do it belong on darkspyro at all??.. even giants had a spyro. this is just so wrong and looks like a desperate attempt by bobby and activision to battle 'disneys infinity' game that will come out this summer.

Didn't you say the same thing about Series 2 Spyro in Giants, when you didn't know all of the Series 2 Skylanders?

He sure did.
no new spyro figurine? WHAT SH1T IS THIS!?
---
cry baby, I am
#43 Posted: 19:37:38 05/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: WUMBOSIMPSON

He sure did.
no new spyro figurine? WHAT SH1T IS THIS!?

yeh yeh yeh... LOL...

but seriously this time i am 100% sure we are not gonna get a spyro...
Nroc-Nuika Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#44 Posted: 21:16:04 05/02/2013
Series 1 Spyro, Dark Spyro, Legendary Spyro and series 2 Spyro will ALL still work if there's no series 3 Spyro.

Kappa, you're judging a book on its cover. It's a game was was announced not even 24 hours ago. Why don't you save your thoughts till we ALL know more about it and THEN say it sucks if you feel it still deserving of it.
---
I always forget to check my guestbook
krayzie Green Sparx Gems: 196
#45 Posted: 21:41:56 05/02/2013
Activision is going to turn skylanders into the next Guitar Hero...
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#46 Posted: 21:46:25 05/02/2013
Some fans complained about the lack of jumping for a while.

And TFB were given space and freedom for a while for them to come up with new ideas for Skylanders.

I hope.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#47 Posted: 22:00:23 05/02/2013
but seriously this time i am 100% sure we are not gonna get a spyro...

Yeah... the memory of your 'No Series 2 Spyro in Giants?!' rage topic still comes to mind.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:02:05 05/02/2013 by Aura24
ClayFace Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#48 Posted: 22:02:03 05/02/2013
Trust me, Spyro IS GOING TO MAKE IT.
#49 Posted: 22:02:56 05/02/2013
Spyro is a fan favorite, of course he would have a high chance of having a Series 3 figure.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:03:20 05/02/2013 by Aura24
DragonsDream Green Sparx Gems: 435
#50 Posted: 22:15:47 05/02/2013
Will Spyro have an S3? we don't know
Will Spyro be left out? We don't know

they have shown exactly 1 series 3 repose, out of 16 announced. Anyone (like the OP) who makes claims about Spyro at this point is simply delusional or so in love with the sound of his own voice he will continue to barf his claims all over these boards until someone agrees with him.
---
available: Darklight Crypt smiliesmiliesmilie(sealed), 17 other common S1s & adv. packs (EU only)
want:smiliesmiliesmilie
The word is "should've" never "should of"
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me