Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > The Ultimate Storage Case...for less than $30.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
The Ultimate Storage Case...for less than $30. [CLOSED]
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#1 Posted: 16:17:16 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
This weekend I found the most amazing toolbox that can be used to carry me beloved collection of Skylanders (and protect their paint jobs). This case was found at Home Depot for the low low price of $24.99 and that's not on sale. It reminds me of my Darth Vader case I had as a kid for my Star Wars figs....the original 77-80's line up...yeah I'm that old. I was previously using the Sortmaster Jr. X 3 but I didn't like how some of them were squished in there and the fact that I had to disconnect them to get what I was looking for. This is a single unit that has collapsing Sortmasters attached to the unit as well as having deeper cells. The reason the Skylanders are sideways in the trays is so that when the unit is in storage mode the figs. are upright so they won't bend in storage. Also for those figs that stand taller there are drawers in the core of the unit 4 X3 and two single cells that are super deep for those taller models...enjoy.

Edit: Here's the link to the Home Depot site for this awesome tool box. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools...1&storeId=10051

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:08:36 23/04/2012 by Tigorus
domer Green Sparx Gems: 379
#2 Posted: 16:21:28 23/04/2012
I'm going to go look for that... Not only for my skylanders, but for my assortment of nails, screws, bolts, and what nots... that's a pretty nice design.

Domer
#3 Posted: 16:23:01 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Yeah I totally love it...the sick part is it's the same freakin price as 3 Sortmaster Jr.'s!!!
Fernandez2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1119
#4 Posted: 17:01:13 23/04/2012
That is impressive. Great find. Wish I'd seen it before.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#5 Posted: 17:02:56 23/04/2012
So, you're saying nothing intrudes on the Skylanders at all with these, the way you have them in there?

Voodoods axe doesn't get bent? If I wanted to stand ALL of the Skylanders straight up, would the plastic lid push down on things like Chop Chop and Ignitor's swords, or Voodoods axe? Would Sunburns top horn (as I call it; the yellow horns lining the top of his head and down his neck) keep him from standing straigt up?

It looks cool, but it looks like each character is still forced to lay sideways, like the Sortmaster Jr. case. However, if all can stand up straight, I may go buy one of these, just to see how I can customize it... for fun.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
PocketGoddess Blue Sparx Gems: 687
#6 Posted: 17:03:18 23/04/2012
That's fantastic, and even better I might be able to get it online once it comes back in stock!

Thanks for posting about this--I've been looking for a Skylanders storage solution. I don't want to leave them out all the time, and this looks like it will be perfect. Easy to get them in and out, and they're protected from damage.
#7 Posted: 17:09:46 23/04/2012
Hmm, I was doing some counting. There are 36 slots, for 39 pieces of Skylanders merchandise. Trying to guesstimate how I would organize my stuff in that case.
---
#8 Posted: 17:10:20 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: GameMaster78
So, you're saying nothing intrudes on the Skylanders at all with these, the way you have them in there?

Voodoods axe doesn't get bent? If I wanted to stand ALL of the Skylanders straight up, would the plastic lid push down on things like Chop Chop and Ignitor's swords, or Voodoods axe? Would Sunburns top horn (as I call it; the yellow horns lining the top of his head and down his neck) keep him from standing straigt up?

It looks cool, but it looks like each character is still forced to lay sideways, like the Sortmaster Jr. case. However, if all can stand up straight, I may go buy one of these, just to see how I can customize it... for fun.

The figs. aren't forced to lay on their side that's intentional. The trays are in a vertical position when stored I want the Skylanders vertical and on their bases when I store them. When the trays are unlocked the Skylanders are on their sides. Also the cells themselves are deeper. Look at Zook on his side there and look how much clearance is still left from is bazooka to the top of the cell. With figs. like Vudood you can store him in one of the center cells that are even taller (See Sunburn, Ignitor, Chop-Chop). Even Whirlwind fits in one of the standard cells without bending a wind.
#9 Posted: 17:20:12 23/04/2012
Interesting. I have one more issue before I pick one of these up myself, to test.

The side drawers look like they just shut, with nothing to hold them shut, should you turn the case on its side, or lay the case on its side, for when traveling. Do the side drawers click shut? Is there something to prevent them from just flying open at the slightest tilt?
---
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#10 Posted: 17:24:28 23/04/2012
Gonna have to check out my local Home Depot tomorrow. Would much rather have a single-handle case instead of three cases.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
#11 Posted: 17:25:29 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Interesting. I have one more issue before I pick one of these up myself, to test.

The side drawers look like they just shut, with nothing to hold them shut, should you turn the case on its side, or lay the case on its side, for when traveling. Do the side drawers click shut? Is there something to prevent them from just flying open at the slightest tilt?

Yes there are two "locking nubs" at the front of each side drawer that fit into slots for each drawer well. It isn't a mechanism like a lock but it does take some effort to open them. I wouldn't be worried about them coming open on their own. Plus when the Sortmaster trays are locked they act as a secondary lock for the drawers....they won't open by them selves under any circumstances.
WhirlWindLover Green Sparx Gems: 318
#12 Posted: 17:42:33 23/04/2012
So, do you know where to get this in South Africa?
---
I read on mytholgy, dragons and griffins. Unicorns too!
smilie Twists of Fury! smilie
Rich246 Green Sparx Gems: 243
#13 Posted: 17:49:34 23/04/2012
Nice! I'll see if I can pick up one of these soon smilie
---
I own:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#14 Posted: 17:50:15 23/04/2012
How many total storage slots are there? I count 14 in the side drawers (2, 3, 3 from top to bottom on each side), 28 individual smaller spots in each of the two sides, and 4 large spots (2 per side). That would be 46 total spots.

With 37 skylanders, 4 adventure packs, and 8 items that's a total of 49 items.

It looks like you can fit the adventure packs and the magic items in the 4 large corner spots. That would leave a total of 42 small spots left over....

Would the portal fit into the 4 spots located in the middle of the side case (where you have Boomer, Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy)? If so Then you could cut out the dividers there store the portal and still have 38 spots left for the Skylanders. That leaves you with one extra space....

Domer
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#15 Posted: 18:22:13 23/04/2012
Wow sweet I'm going to pick one up. If I can't use it for Skylanders I can use it for many other little things I got laying around.
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
#16 Posted: 18:50:09 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: domer
How many total storage slots are there? I count 14 in the side drawers (2, 3, 3 from top to bottom on each side), 28 individual smaller spots in each of the two sides, and 4 large spots (2 per side). That would be 46 total spots.

It looks like you can fit the adventure packs and the magic items in the 4 large corner spots. That would leave a total of 42 small spots left over....

Would the portal fit into the 4 spots located in the middle of the side case (where you have Boomer, Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy)? If so Then you could cut out the dividers there store the portal and still have 38 spots left for the Skylanders. That leaves you with one extra space....

Domer

Yup, you got it 46 is the actual number. I put four Adventure Pack items in each upper drawer since the top drawer on each side is only one cell. The two large cells in the upper corners of the Sortmaster trays are huge as seen in the pic holding two Adventure Packs. This would actually make a great case got Giants as well and especially at that price of $24.99. That's really the kicker for me. I'm sure there might be better cases out there but I have a hard time believing that I will find something better than this at this price point.
Madel Blue Sparx Gems: 584
#17 Posted: 19:08:32 23/04/2012
That case looks amazing. Good find!
---
That's why all the Gryffindors sing: Weasley is our king.
#18 Posted: 19:39:01 23/04/2012
Quote: Tigorus
Quote: domer

Domer

Yup, you got it 46 is the actual number. I put four Adventure Pack items in each upper drawer since the top drawer on each side is only one cell. The two large cells in the upper corners of the Sortmaster trays are huge as seen in the pic holding two Adventure Packs. This would actually make a great case got Giants as well and especially at that price of $24.99. That's really the kicker for me. I'm sure there might be better cases out there but I have a hard time believing that I will find something better than this at this price point.

It's a great case.... it will be perfect if a portal will fit in those 4 spots if you remove the borders.

Domer
Alcatalog Blue Sparx Gems: 753
#19 Posted: 19:40:33 23/04/2012
I currently have 5 Jr's (1 empty); it'd be cool to consolidate into this!
---
Got 38
#20 Posted: 19:44:41 23/04/2012
Got it. The spaces are all about 2.3 X 2.3 inches... the 4x4 spot would then be 4.6x4.6 inches.

The portal measures 6x6 inches so it won't fit... too bad...

Domer
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6303
#21 Posted: 20:00:27 23/04/2012
I counted and there are 46 slots for 51+ skylanders figures (38-53 characters 4-5 places 8 magic items)
---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:31:06 23/04/2012 by AJAwesome
#22 Posted: 20:14:05 23/04/2012
Quote: AJAwesome
I counted and there are 50 slots for 51+ skylanders figures (38-53 characters 4-5 places 8 magic items)

I'm confused? The case listed has 46 total spaces.

3 drawers with 1, 3, and 3 spaces from top to bottom on each side.
then you have 2 large spaces and 14 small spaces within each side case.

That adds up to 46 spaces. (7 + 7 + 14 + 14 + 2 + 2)

There are 37 non varient skylanders (32 normal, 4 legendaries, 1 dark spyro).

Domer
#23 Posted: 20:30:46 23/04/2012
Oh the top side only has 2, I didnt notice so I'll fix it.THX! Another variant I counted was Blue smilie so it totals to 38.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:32:38 23/04/2012 by AJAwesome
#24 Posted: 20:35:31 23/04/2012
Okay. I bought this on a whim, just to test out how it would hold 37 Skylanders, 8 magical items, 4 level toys, without intrusion, but with consistency.

Now this is just my take on this case, but I must say that you have to put a lot of figures in certain spots, just like the Sortmaster Jr. cases, or there will be a lot of bending.

Using Tig's second pic above as a reference, you will see a folded out container with a lid on it. The one with characters like Camo and Zook in it.

Camo has to be in that mid row, like he is in that pic, or else his top yellow horn will bend, BIGTIME! Other characters who only fit in that middle row are -

- Stump Smash (ONLY if you physically bend his right arm backward further than it is)
- Ghost Roaster
- Hex
- Prism Break (but can't sit flush against any of the walls; ie he has to be diagonal)

So, these are all characters that should be saved for the middle - pull out - compartments, unless you want to bend pieces of the figures.

There are only 14 spots in the middle compartment, but there are 12 Skylanders that cause intrusion to the compartments with plastic lids. Those 12 are -

- Voodood (can fit in the fold out compartment, but his axe seriously bends)
- Chop Chop
- L-Chop
- Drill Sergeant
- Sunburn
- Whirlwind (she can fit in the middle row of the fold out compartment, but you have to bend her wings outward and make them straight, if the compartment doesn't do that for you)
- Double Trouble (he can fit in the middle row of the fold out compartment, but the ball on his scepter seriously bends forward)
- Ignitor
- Stump Smash (can fit in the middle row of the fold out compartment, but his right hand bends backwards, or you have to turn him diagonally, in which case, it's no different than the Sortmaster Jr.)
- Trigg (you can actually see this in the right fold out compartment in the second pic Tig posted, middle row, as his right hand is bent outward to the right. I had to physically bend his gun forward to try and fit him in)
- L-Trigg (same as above)

and the one no one ever thinks to include -

- WHAM SHELL

Wham's mace is massive. The middle row compartments on the fold out containers can fit him, but it causes his mace to bend. Wham's mace is half glued, half loose. Even when it pushes his mace down through his bottom hand, it still bends, because the spikes are long.

So the characters I listed above are basically musts for the middle pull out compartments, if you don't want to warp the molding of your figures.

That leaves 2 open spots there, but now there is a consistency issue.

With Stanley Sortmaster Jr. you have to be inconsistent with where you put your figures. In other words, all elements can't be together. However, you can try and be as cosistent as possible. I am able to put all of my level toys in seperate compartments, while also having each magical item grouped together, in 4 seperate compartments.

You can do that here as well, but they won't be near their level toys if that's the case. I also didn't really like the idea of putting my level toys close together. It's bad enough I have to do it with my Sortmaster Jr. case, but that's only barely, as the mast hits the top wing of Darklight Crypt.

I also like the fact, that in the Sortmaster Jr. cases, there are extra big compartments in the top left, top right, middle left, and middle right of each case. When I put Voodood, Whirlwind, Wham Shell, and Double Trouble in those middle left and right sides, nothing intrudes on their plastic, causing their weapons or wings to warp into the position they are being forced in.

So, I think I will be taking this back. Well, hopefully I can. I had removed the stickers from the box, and placed all the inserts into their spots.

The box. That's another thing. I like being able to show off the top of my box. This XL box has too much of a toolbox feel to it. All I could see myself doing, is throwing a huge Skylander sticker on it. However, even then, the texture is scaly, so the sticker won't stick, due to air pockets from the cracks dividing each scale.

Again, that's my opinion. However, when I was placing Skylanders in spots, I kept getting a really uncomfortable feel, as the plastic on some figures was bending in a crazy fashion. I didn't like the consistency. I kept thinking of how cool it would be to do 4 square slots, like this -

for each element. However, more elements than not, had characters that can't even fit into those slots, so it gave it a sloppy look in my eyes, as I couldn't even find spots for my toys and magical items, to be grouped together, to even give it a hint of consistency.

Whoever can find value in these, awesome. However, I like to have my outside case decorated with all the stickers, so that's one bad thing about this case.

One last thing. The middle pull out compartments have spots for 3 characters in 4 pull out compartments. However, one of those compartments is covered by black plastic from the tool box itself. I kept thinking before I bought these, how I could put a character sticker on the clear compartments, to display which character is inside. However, one of those stickers, as well as the character, wouldn't even be visible. That's one other thing I love about Sortmaster Jr. cases. All slots are visible, so I can put a sticker on top to show myself, and anyone who fancies seeing Skylander character stickers, without them being covered.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:41:17 23/04/2012 by GameMaster78
#25 Posted: 20:43:43 23/04/2012
I am confused on which one to get?
---
#26 Posted: 20:50:08 23/04/2012
Well, AJA, it's ultimately up to you.

I am sticking with my Sortmaster Jr. cases. I even found a new way to position Voodood in my cases, where his axe won't bend.

I just like whatever consistency I can have, in trying to keep certain Skylanders items together, and the Sortmaster Jr. allows me to keep my magical items next to my expansion toys, which have their own compartment.

I am going to play with this massive case some more today. However, I just don't see myself liking it. However, what I like and what others like, is what being human is all about. Varying degrees of likes and dislikes.

Both can work. I just like being able to have all characters displayed through a clear lid, with their sticker on top. That's not something I can get from the case Tig bought, as at least 4 slots are covered by the black plastic of the box itself, and in that case, you can only put a sticker on one side (I really wish Activision sold these stickers seperately).

EDIT: This is just one of the reasons I like the Sortmaster Jr. cases.

[User Posted Image]

I like seeing all of the character stickers.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:34:32 23/04/2012 by GameMaster78
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#27 Posted: 21:08:27 23/04/2012
Wow, cool find! There's some at my local Home Depot, I may have to go check this out since, at the moment, all my Skylanders are just occupying a table in my living room.
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
ryum Blue Sparx Gems: 759
#28 Posted: 21:28:29 23/04/2012
I went right out and bought this.

Before I even knew about this forum I had been trying to figure out a way to put these all away. I was originally, and still might handcraft a warhammer style castle. I'm still sketching out the ideas, but til then
(I'm going to make it a christmas present, or maybe not... I don't like the idea of getting started on it til I know what the giants game is going to bring about)

The only thing I found in the mean time was Game's 3 cases idea and that does not make my OCD side happy at all. I don't have wham-shell... but so far all the figures I have fit great. I'm not going to get bogged down in the details and have to have them in there in just a particular way. I like the side compartments though so I can put mine and my kids favorites in those so we don't have to open the case everytime.

Also I do no travel so having room for the portal was not needed.

I think if you do travel, then Game's 3 cases might be the way to go. But for something to keep besides the console or otherwise put away til played with this is the best idea I've seen for that job.
#29 Posted: 21:34:10 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
O.K. here's an update of the positioning:

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

For the record my Voodood has always had a bent axe. In the pic it looks like his axe is touching the wall but it really isn't I can actually wiggle him around a little, not much though.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

For the record none of these are a tight fit. All my Trigger Happy's fit nicely with no bending. Hope that helps.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:35:20 23/04/2012 by Tigorus
#30 Posted: 21:42:15 23/04/2012
I had to bend the gun forward on my regular Trigg's right hand (the one facing straight up) to get him to fit into one of the small slots.

I wonder why some moldings are different?
---
#31 Posted: 21:55:54 23/04/2012
Ok I dont want to bend the figures so I'll get the sortmasters just tell me how to orginize it.
---
#32 Posted: 22:09:24 23/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I had to bend the gun forward on my regular Trigg's right hand (the one facing straight up) to get him to fit into one of the small slots.

I wonder why some moldings are different?

That is strange though since these cells are bigger.

UPDATE: Wham-Shell fits great in the side drawers...WOOT FINALLY GOT WHAMMY!!!!!

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:28:56 23/04/2012 by Tigorus
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#33 Posted: 00:45:33 24/04/2012
Was planning to pick one up today, but when I got to Home Depot, the one they had was so dirty. It looked like it had been heavily used and then returned. They offered me a dollar off the price, but it's cool, I'll just look for it another Home Depot or something.
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
#34 Posted: 15:06:27 24/04/2012
Grats on Whammy, Tig.

Yeah, I knew Whammy would have to be a side drawer. I have the case at work, playing around with it. I am trying to justify keeping it. I just don't like throwing whatever characters next to whoever. I was hoping to keep the elements together.

I don't see why Stanley doesn't just make a case deep enough, so that all Skylanders and items can stand straight up, all the while providing snap together casing, so multiple cases can be tied together.

I am going to play with this case some more. I have the receipt, so if by the time I get off work, if I can't get comfortable with where the characters are placed, I can take it back.

About the gun. L-Trigg fits fine, but regular Trigg's right hand and gun are sticking straight up. I may do a small video to show everyone how hard it was for me to get characters in these slots.

AJA? If you are deciding on Sortmaster Jr. cases, they are at Walmart for 8 bucks a pop in the tool department. Here is how they should fit, but I have altered Voodood in his spot, so that his axe never bends, which means there is now 99% no bending on the characters. The 1% goes to Zook, whose rocket does bend inward just a hair. However, NO other Skylander bends, if placed the way I place them.

TOP CASE -

[User Posted Image]

NOTE: The new way to place Voodood in that case, is to turn him around, so his front is facing down. The bottom and top of the axe will catch both sides of the walls, keeping it in a straight position.

MIDDLE CASE -

[User Posted Image]

BOTTOM CASE -

[User Posted Image]

I am going to tinker around with the cases Tig bought and displayed. I'm hoping it can become the ultimate casing. I am trying my darndest to keep it... if anything... for Giants.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:12:18 24/04/2012 by GameMaster78
Krisiun Green Sparx Gems: 390
#35 Posted: 15:31:53 24/04/2012
I picked up a regular Sortmaster which is larger and deeper than the Jr. version. Almost all characters can stand up with no clearance issues including Voodood and Sunburn. Only Ignitor's sword is slightly pressed down on by the lid. Another 16th of an inch and even he would be fine so I just lay him down to avoid any contact. I don't have a Wham-Shell yet but if he is taller than Ignitor than I will lay him down also. The compartments are large enough that you can even double up some of the narrower characters like Stealth Elf and Chop Chop. The hardest piece to accomadate is the Pirate Ship. Very large and awkward but the the larger compartments can even handle the ship but it has to be placed on an angle. So far the regular Sortmaster is the best solution by far.
#36 Posted: 16:01:42 24/04/2012 | Topic Creator
@ GM.
See the main reason I didn't want to use the Sortmaster Jrs. anymore was because it would bend the wings of Cynder, Drobot, Whirlwind and Sunburn. The other issue was that, unless you store the Jrs. vertical, the extra weight of them being stored on their side starts to bend the pieces of all the figures. With that XL case everything is stored vertically and the figures stand on their bases while being stored. I also understand that you are kind of committed to using those Jrs. since you've already used your stickers lol. I'm also thinking this will be an awesome case for Giants. Like I said before it's also the price point. This case is the exact same price as three Sortmaster Jr. Cases and I feel they protect more and are a better way to store the figures. I just might start adding the stickers to my case...then it really will be like my old Darth Vader Case smilie .

Addition: Another concern I had about storing them on their side in a case like this was that eventually those textured bottoms will start to rub/scratch the paint jobs. Storing them upright takes care of that.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:04:59 24/04/2012 by Tigorus
#37 Posted: 16:05:21 24/04/2012
Hmm... that is odd. Trigg and others are bending in the XL case for me, while characters are bending on you in the Sortmaster Jr. cases. See, for me, the way I have them positioned in the Sortmaster Jr. cases, makes them so they don't bend. My Cynders wings don't bend at all.

Only one character has an object that bends now, which is Zook's rocket. I fixed Voodood, so his axe won't bend.

I am interested to see what you do with your stickers on the case, though. Post pics when you do it.
---
#38 Posted: 16:11:24 24/04/2012 | Topic Creator
But look at your pic, both Sunburn and Cynder are on their sides. Cynder for sure will start to have a bent wing. Take her out and look at her in the same position on a table and watch how her weight is supported by her wings. Also Sunburns wings have got to be a little squished when you close the lid also grating her on the textured bottom when you close it....I'm only saying this because I had the same issues...although I gave Sunburn her own cell.
#39 Posted: 18:07:38 24/04/2012
The way I have it, so Sunburns wings don't bend , is his base is hitting the flooring before his wings. The way to do it, is to sort of Feng Shui it. I put L-Trigg in first. Then I tuck in Sunburn, so his top horn rests on L-Triggs ear. This causes Sunburn to only touch the flooring with his base, while keeping his right wing in enough, that it doesn't bend as well.

I really need to shoot a video to show people. I have a system setup with this case, where the only thing that bends, is Zook's rocket.

I tilted Cynder enough, that her tail hits the flooring, which supports her enough, so her right wing doesn't bend. When I do a video, I will how how her wings are just as spread out as normal.

Trust me. I am super anal about anything of mine getting damaged. I wouldn't be using these cases, if I thought my Skylanders would come out gimped. However, maybe my Skylanders are just different than others. My Sunburns wings were already closed to his body, when I took him out of his DP box.

EDIT: So, I've been tinkering with this case. Figures can fit in all spots (even got Sunburn to fit in a middle row slot on the fold out compartments), but you have to turn them in certain directions.

I found a way to make it look somewhat consistent. I will take pics and upload them, for anyone who prefers Tig's XL case. I even know where people can put stickers on the case, to make it look good.

Only two problems with the configuration I have.

1: Dark Spyro has to be by himself
2: Voodoods axe bends like crazy where I have him, in order for it to have a consistent look.

I will take pics when I get home. I have all elements grouped together.
---
#40 Posted: 18:22:13 24/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm going to be doing something with my stickers as well....involving magnets....and the cards as well. Will post pics soon.
ToxicFate Yellow Sparx Gems: 1137
#41 Posted: 19:13:04 24/04/2012
I picked up one of these yesterday and didn't like it all. It seems like the figures sit way to loose in there and slide all over the place. I'll stick with my Sortmaster Jr's. I also have no problem with anything getting bent in them. You just have to find the right way to position some of them and they fit just fine.
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#42 Posted: 19:41:21 24/04/2012
I don't see why Stanley doesn't just make a case deep enough, so that all Skylanders and items can stand straight up, all the while providing snap together casing, so multiple cases can be tied together.

Just a guess here, but maybe it's because Stanley cases aren't intended for Skylander figures. Again, just a guess. I could be WAY off here.

I just bought this sucker over lunch. It's pretty bulky, but not as bulky as three of the smaller cases, and it's much easier to carry since it's all attached to a single handle. Keeping the receipt in case I come across any problems with fit, but it sounds like the OP likes it. Nice find.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#43 Posted: 19:51:08 24/04/2012
An interesting case, but I am still all about the ArtBin 9007AB case. There are no clearance issues when it's closed and they slots are big enough to hold any of the figures. They don't attach together but that's not a deal breaker for me.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/a.../9007ABOpen.jpg
Zookie Pookie Blue Sparx Gems: 988
#44 Posted: 20:08:08 24/04/2012
Quote: Krisiun
I picked up a regular Sortmaster which is larger and deeper than the Jr. version. Almost all characters can stand up with no clearance issues including Voodood and Sunburn. Only Ignitor's sword is slightly pressed down on by the lid. Another 16th of an inch and even he would be fine so I just lay him down to avoid any contact. I don't have a Wham-Shell yet but if he is taller than Ignitor than I will lay him down also. The compartments are large enough that you can even double up some of the narrower characters like Stealth Elf and Chop Chop. The hardest piece to accomadate is the Pirate Ship. Very large and awkward but the the larger compartments can even handle the ship but it has to be placed on an angle. So far the regular Sortmaster is the best solution by far.

can we see some pic of this one?
#45 Posted: 20:15:58 24/04/2012
Quote: ToxicFate
I picked up one of these yesterday and didn't like it all. It seems like the figures sit way to loose in there and slide all over the place. I'll stick with my Sortmaster Jr's. I also have no problem with anything getting bent in them. You just have to find the right way to position some of them and they fit just fine.

I am sticking with my Sortmaster Jr. cases as well. I tried carrying mine home in the XL case, and they did slide around in there. I was trying to be as still as possible.

When laying on their sides, you don't have to worry about the bases getting scratched, which could hinder the chances of the portal reading them.

However, I was still going to show anyone who prefers the XL cases Tig bought, how each character should go in it. I still will after I update my collection pics for what SHOULD be the final time.
---
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#46 Posted: 20:48:06 24/04/2012
When laying on their sides, you don't have to worry about the bases getting scratched, which could hinder the chances of the portal reading them.

Scratching the base of a Skylander will not affect it's ability to be read by the portal unless it scratches ALL the way through the green bit into the RFID chip itself and that would have to be one heck of a scratch... But a scratch is still damage, albeit superficial, and I know I certainly wouldn't like to get mine scratched so I understand why you would feel that way.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Krisiun Green Sparx Gems: 390
#47 Posted: 21:39:18 24/04/2012
Quote: Zookie Pookie
Quote: Krisiun

I don't have my own pictures but here is a link to the official page. Like I said before it is deeper than the Sortmaster Jr. with almost every figure able to stand up with no clearance issues. I picked mine up at Home Depot.

http://www.stanleytools.com/de...aster+Organizer
Wolffe Red Sparx Gems: 86
#48 Posted: 03:34:41 25/04/2012
Quote: Zookie Pookie

These are my Sortmasters (not Jrs):

[User Posted Image]

All the figures can stand upright except for the Adventure Packs. I threw the Adventure Packs along with their associated items into the larger compartments.

[User Posted Image]

The Pirate Ship is still a little tricky. It kinda sits on its side a bit. The lid may be pressing down on it slightly. Some of the taller guys like Voodood and Ignitor may be touching the lid but barely... not enough to be concerned about any permanent bending or damage. You have the option of not having them stand upright as well.

[User Posted Image]

With a little Dremel magic I modified the case to store the portals nicely as well.

P.S. I've since reorganised a bit and grouped all of the Legendaries together...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:35:36 25/04/2012 by Wolffe
Wolffe Red Sparx Gems: 86
#49 Posted: 03:58:17 25/04/2012
Unfortunately, unlike the Jrs, the Sortmasters don't join up. It can be a little awkward trying to carry three of these.

Also, I just checked and (excluding any of the last three) only Chop Chop (middle right):

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

and Ignitor (middle left):

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

touch the lid at all.

The Pirate Ship needs to be seated just right.
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#50 Posted: 04:11:00 25/04/2012
I bought the case originally brought up by the OP and have no problems with any of my figures nor any of the adventure packs or their accessories. I'm still lacking Camo and Warnado, but by the looks of them, they'll fit just fine in my remaining drawer space. You might run into issues if you're trying to absolutely, positively keep the elements together, but as my wife and I own different characters across the various elements, this really isn't an issue for us. Honestly, this is the easiest to transport, eBest solution that I've seen so far regarding storing/transporting Skylanders. I can only hope that Activison will see this thread and offer something official just like this--giving me further flashbacks to the Darth Vader case days and assigned slots based on character dimensions. smilie
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me