Page 1 of 1
Organized Upgrade Recommendations [CLOSED]
ryum Blue Sparx Gems: 759
#1 Posted: 19:31:03 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I’ve been using the stickied upgrade thread for a while but my OCD nature has made me have to remake it in an organized way

AIR

Sonic Boom
Quote: Tashiji

Medea Griffin is her most unique contribution to the Skylanders, but I just can't shake the feeling that Siren Griffin still does more damage overall, and by itself, than Medea does even with her upgraded babies. This one is sort of a tossup, though.

Quote: spyroflame0487

SB is the newest one in my collection, and I really like her babbies helping, so I chose that. It's really great to have a little assistance with your attacks, so you can focus on one while the babies go after another and weaken it for you.

Quote: Slivers

Yep, same exact feeling; as cool as Medea Griffin is, Siren Griffen produces more and more-consistent damage. Not to mention when co-op'd with Zap's Sea Slime, the two become the most OP combo in the game. And frame-rate killer if done to the extreme ;-)

Quote: EgoNaut

I chose Medea Griffin (or Griffeon, or Gripheon, or however you spell that damn word) for Sonic Boom. It's rather cute to watch the four little babies chase stuff around, especially when it's your PvP opponent. I have heard all over the place that Siren Griffin does loads more overall damage though so I would recommend you choose that one unless you're desperate for uniqueness.

Quote: BahamtX

My favorite Skylander! Hard to decide with her. The Siren Griffin path is the most widespread and destructive path. So, if you guys want to get through a level fast and just cream your enemies fast then pick Siren Griffin. Me, I prefer the Medea Griffin, because if you pick Siren Griffin, it means you won't be using her Griffin Babies that much and the Medea Griffin path really makes her stand out from all the other Skylanders. It's up to you guys to decide.

Whirlwind

Ultimate Rainbower contributes another entry to the field of "hurlers," or, "another character that just can't keep up with Boomer at throwing projectiles." Tempest Dragon, on the other hand, is incredible, and leaves a grid of electric destruction in her wake that will shred most enemies. Stronger in PVP than one might think.

Whirly was my first Skylander..I bought it before I got the game! I like the Ultimate Rainbower path. Seems to me that it does a lot of damage with the volley shots. I just didn't care for the Tempest clouds that much.

Lightning Rod

Lightning Lord is what I chose. You get a pretty cool "avatar" that does a really nice chunk of damage and makes him into a badass. I didn't see a need for the clouds on the other path which really only give you some defense.

Lightning Lord Path. Really the only benefit of the Typhoon Titan one is the extra clouds. LL Path gives your powerful Grand Lightning a huge powerup. At the end, the Lightning Avatar makes him an incredibly powerful Air Skylander. It does 20 points of damage every couple of seconds, appears to have a high crit. hit ratio, AND makes you turn into this amazing nightmarish thunder god.

Lightning Rod is pretty mediocre in PVP. Lord of the Lightning's Grand Lightning is highly interruptable, and does a lot less damage than the similar Soul of the Flame Ignitor. Not only that, Lightning Rod's not formidable up close like Ignitor is, so there's little he can do to deflect the rush. Zapper satellites don't do enough damage to put away a charging opponent either, if you've chosen Typhoon Titan. TT has added trouble with ranged characters too, due to his VERY low damage-per-hit. His zapper shield won't deter anyone at close range on either build.

So, to sum it up, Lord of the Lightning is pretty good against ranged attackers if you can find any cover on the map, but falls apart against anything close-range. Typhoon Titan is a sitting duck against ranged attackers, and doesn't fare incredibly well up-close either. Unfortunately, Rod is not a great PVPer, and adds to a list of now three Wind champions who can't beat the Earth types they're supposed to be strong to.

Warnado
#2 Posted: 19:31:24 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
LIFE

Camo
Quote: GameMaster78

The cool thing about Melon Master, is you can hide inside the melons, by holding B, instead of them just popping up and dispersing themselves. You can let go of B anytime you're ready to send the melons flying. You can't do this down his Firecracker Vine upgrade path.
Why this is cool down the Melon Master path, is because not only can he hide inside melons that do 60-90 damage per melon contact, but if you have three Sunbursts circling you, it makes him have a preverbial force field around him. If an enemy - or someone in PVP - gets near him, if the Sunbursts don't hurt him, one just needs to let go of the B button for a potential 60-180 or 90-270 damage attack.
Melon Master is the way to go, but the other path is decent, whereas many other Skylanders have an upgrade path that is mediocre at best.

Stump Smash

Nut Crafter gives Stump Smash something unique and downright decent to do. He's not the game's strongest character, but with this build, nor is he the weakest. In my opinion, Meganut Propagation is the better of the Meganut attacks, and Pollen Plume is supremely helpful. Also, with regards to Smash 'N' Bash, you do not want to try melee in the same game as Stealth Elf, Bash and Terrafin. Other characters trying to do it just look silly.

I don't really care for this character at all. He's slow and bulky and..uggh.. I chose the Smash N Bash path because I thought being able to combo and blowing up the Meganut would be good but..ehh. Maybe the Nut Crafter is better..I dunno.

Zook

Choose the Artilleryman path for a whole lot of missle-esque fun! The damage output is pretty high (not as much as Stealth though) and you really have no need for the defense the other path gives.

Zook: Artilleryman path. I really don't see a point in defense in this game, unless you're doing PvP. (And even there, you're much better off doing damage as quickly as possible) You get a lot of power with the bazookas (Arguably Zook's main draw) and the rebound of the exploding shrapnel makes him a nice character to use. Although he's not as powerful as Stealth Elf, he's up there in damage output. I could kill a Knight (100 HP if I'm not mistaken) with a few rockets. What's nice about Zook is that he has a long range of attack. The bazookas go really far. (for reference to those that don't have him, stand on the edge of the Ruins next to Persephone and look at the rock that's floating in the distance. It goes about that far) Only draw back is if a enemy gets up close to you. You'll have a hard time fighting them back off without moving away and getting a better shot at them.

Floral Defender's cacti do huge damage. The initial hit on contact, plus additional hits for every tick as long as you touch the cacti. If you are caught in the middle, this multiplies at an insane pace.

Cacti have a bounceback effect, which repels oncoming foes while also doing damage to them.

His Soul Gem, the final MIRV upgrade, allows splitting mortars that create a cactus on each landing, up to twice before they begin to respawn.

Since Artilleryman doesn't get a MIRV damage upgrade, mortars from both builds do the same damage, and only Floral Defender's spawn cacti.

Even the standard shot, which is the only thing you upgrade on the Artilleryman path, doesn't do much less damage on Floral Defender. 10/12~ish, I believe... not significant enough.

Floral Defender is a beast of epic proportions. He's not as good as Stealth Elf, but don't think that's a slight against him. Zook is the first truly viable defensive character, because his defenses also happen to do enormous damage. Artilleryman, on the other hand, is just another projectile character in the same game as Drobot.

There are nothing BUT upsides to Floral Defender. One of the better overall builds in the game, and probably the strongest of any build of the three new champions.

Stealth Elf

Similarly to Terrafin and Drobot's ideal paths, Pook Blade Saint takes Stealth Elf to a whole different level from the rest of the game's characters; into the fabled "God Tier," if tiers are your thing. Forest Ninja, on the other hand, just makes her very, very good. A PVP God.

Quote: HughyHugh
Go Pook or go home. Scarecrows with spinning axes sound cool, and they make her very good, but trust the entire community on this, go Pook or reset your character. Don't be fooled by Elf Jitsu not being what you asked for. Those dancing swords or whatever you call them, are godly.

For Stealth Elf I chose Pook Blade Saint and it's makes her extremely powerful so i'd recommend it to others, allthough I bet choosing that Forest Ninja Path for a change is very fun too.
Seeing as I've given my Stealth Elf a sort of pirate bucaneer feel (she looks really good wearing the Napolean Hat, by the way), I found the blade upgrades very fitting and fun to use, especially that godly powerful one that makes little floating knives follow her everywhere.
Using Stealth Elf in PvP takes some skill because you can't see her when you're controlling her stealth mode; you just have to use your experience from single player and guess where she is. There's nothing bad about this though, because there is NOTHING MORE SATISFYING in the entire game than pouncing on your opponent out of thin air when they had no idea where you were! With the Pook Blade Saint upgrade path you can take advantage of your opponent's surprise afterwards with all that upgraded melee damage!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:57:36 11/04/2012 by ryum
#3 Posted: 19:31:44 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
UNDEAD

Cynder

Nether Welder is the best for her. It's totally amazing and does a whole lot of damage. It turns her into one of the most powerful characters in the game.

Nether Welder

The upgraded lightning makes Cynder one of the absolute best PVP characters in the game. Exploding ghosts (which the ghost path doesn't have for some reason...) are excellent for escape purposes, and her overall range with this path is completely absurd. Shadowdancer is a powerful path as well, but you're right if you're thinking that it neuters her overall damage a bit. A damaging Shadow Dash is a nice perk, but the lack of exploding ghosts, which were given to Nether Welder instead, goes a long way towards defeating the purpose of picking a ghost-centered path in the first place. Nether Welder seems as though it would be a one-trick pony, but Cynder's initial upgrades are quite formidable, and augmented lightning is just what she needs to actually crack the upper eschelon with Drobot, Stealth Elf, etc.

Hex

Shade Master Hex is one of the game's overall best ranged attackers, and story mode characters in general. Bone Crafter is fun, but the charge time on Rain of Skulls, even when fully upgraded, is still far too high to actually kill anything in story mode before Drobot, Stealth Elf, Terrafin and the other high-ranking characters shred it. Similarly to Ghost Roaster, however, Bone Crafter has a large edge in PVP over Shade Master. Again, choose based on what you’re using her for. Either way, you won’t be disappointed, Hex is awesome. Superb at PVP.

Shade Master is the one I went for. I don't like charging things up that much because it gives the enemies a chance to get in and attack you. (not to mention making you have to charge again.

With Hex, it's a matter of what mode you intend to use her for. In PVP, it's hard to match Bone Crafter. Her defensive superiority with that path is only matched by Prism Break, and it's quite handy in repelling would-be attackers who might try to exploit Hex's awful movement speed. In story mode, though, everything that makes Bone Crafter great for PVP doesn't really do anything of use. You don't need to defend, and Skull Rain charges for too long to be practical, even with the reductions. Shade Master, on the other hand, just demolishes CPU enemies at such a pace that it renders defending at all, or charging up for a move like Skull Rain, irrelevant.

So, base your choice with Hex on what you plan to do with her. We have our primary Hex on Shade Master for story-mode purposes, and with Giants looming, that's looking like a better decision than it did when there was only the one game to worry about. We do have a boxed Bone Crafter Hex for PVP, though, and I must say, she's more than a match for most characters on that path.

Chop Chop, Legendary Chop Chop

You're kind of screwed either way with him. Either you're an average melee in a game filled with godly melees, or you're a defender in a game where an upgraded character doesn't... really... need to defend.

For L-Chops, I chose Vampiric Warrior. DAT GIANT SWORD. Shields are good and all, but attacking is more worth it to me in this game. L-Chops does work with that sword. After trying out the Shield path, it's completely outshined with Vamp Warrior.

Ghost Roaster

Skull Master is a strong contender for the game's best charging attacker, while Fear Eater is unwieldy, drains your health, and doesn't deliver results great enough to overcome these failings. However, in a strange turn of events, Fear Eater, the same build with virtually zero use in story mode, is stronger in PVP than its counterpart. Pick based on which mode you intend to use him more in. Very useful PVPer.

Ghost Roast I chose Fear Eater. I didn't really care for the rushing attack, and I really liked the Ectoplasm Mode. I think both of them are pretty equal though.
#4 Posted: 19:32:06 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
EARTH

Bash, Legendary Bash

Both paths of Bash are incredible. No matter which you pick, you have one of the game's top characters. Let the choice suit your play style. I prefer Granite Dragon, but that’s just me.

I got L-Bash and chose Granite Dragon path. Now, the original reason was because Pulver Dragon didn't sound good..The Rolling attack was fine for me as it was, especially because I just used it to travel faster. BUT THEN! I charged up the Gaia Hammer...and found it does a whopping 240 points of damage. (Effectively being able to wipe out every basic enemy in the game in one hit, including the Knights) Now this was also with the Triceratops Honor Guard upgrade, but it should still do a pretty number on anyone coming your way.

I really love upgrading Bash's Rolling attack, but that's just me. If you prefer power, then go with Granite Dragon; however, if you prefer speed for Bash, go with Pulver Dragon.

Dino-Rang

Don't go with anything but Grand Boomerang Master. While the armor you get down the Earthen Avenger path looks incredible, the actual performance of that path in battle is nothing if not underwhelming.

Those Pummel Traps are effectively useless unless every single enemy is coming right at you, which isn't really the case. Plus it makes you vulnerable for a while. So don't even think about upgrading those things, and go with the Grand Boomerang Master path. Those 'rangs are incredibly powerful, and it's hilarious to fling them around.

Prism Break
Quote: Whisper
For Prism Break, I would heavily recommend the
Crystaleer path.

I admit that I never tried out the Prismancer path, but I doubt it could compare anyways.

With the Crystaleer path, your crystals become a large aoe, that block projectiles, do good damage, and can be dropped without line of sight (you can drop them on the other side of most walls).
Plus your Crystal Eruption becomes stronger to help you deal with the rare occasions you get swarmed at close range.
Not to mention a +40 Armor bonus just for the heck of it.

It's just an awesome path.

<3 Crystaleer

Crystaleer lacks the flash of Prismancer, but is more effective overall, especially with larger targets. It's also more defensively solid. Prism Break is a force in PVP as Crystaleer.

Such a cool looking character needs to have some cool lasers. The Prismancer path will get you this but the only real downside is the gold color of the crystals. If you can get over that, this path will be amazing for you.

For Prism Break I chose Prismancer. I find the more powerful laser beams useful, and the crystals that refract the beams in to three rather than two are fun, though situations where such game mechanics come in to play are incredibley rare. (Shard Soul Prism and some fiddly manual crystal placement may be necessary.) However I must say that I really don't like the awful shade of yellow that prism break's crystals change to when this upgrade path is chosen.
I have heard from other people that the Crystaleer upgrade path is more powerful and more practical, allthough I imagine it be a little less gratifying to use.

Terrafin

Sandhog makes Terrafin a God among Skylanders, while Brawler just makes Terrafin very, very good. Excellent PVP character; hunts most Skylanders like prey.

I chose Brawler simply for the extra damage with the Spiked Knuckles. I mean, traveling in the ground is fun, but I wanted something better for offense. After fulling upgrading him, I basically used him to solo Kaos..and I was only like level 7. Those extra power to your fists allow you to deal a LOT of damage in a short amount of time. I've now tried Sandhog, and I have to say, that one is quite damaging as well and also a lot of fun.
#5 Posted: 19:32:28 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
FIRE

Ignitor

Don't let the sword he's holding fool you, he is meant to be on the Soul of the Flame path. Upgrading his Flame Soul gives you a character who's fast, damages a wide area, and hits HARD. Blademaster gives you a melee who is horribly outclassed at meleeing by Stealth Elf, Terrafin, Bash, and others, as well as out-damaged by his own Flame Soul. Soul of the Flame Ignitor is exceptional at PVP, and in my opinion, one of the game’s overall standout characters.

The Soul of Flame path is probably the best thing ever. When jumping out of your body to do the attack, you can also stay around for a bit, and continue doing damage. Wipes out most of the weak-medium strength enemies in seconds.

Sunburn
Quote: Grandlethal

I chose the Blaze Dragon path after much debate with the wife over the direction. I liked the idea of the teleporting, but found it to be quite cumbersome at times. With the Flamethrower ability with the infinite time is a huge enhancement. It was like playing a slightly weaker version of Double Trouble. The dash attack more than makes up for that difference though. For a character I didn't like at the start, Sunburn now gets a lot more play time.

Quote: ryum

Personally like teleporting more just because it gives me something unique to do with this character. I like the damage it does with the innate evasion from damage you get from being intangible during teleporting, but I hold my final decision for when I can get sunburn fully buffed from heroics and play around with Blaze Dragon which is when it particularly shines.
After doing quite a few levels with maxed blaze dragon aka fire breath I couldn't keep it. It's prossibly more effective but it's the most boring monotonous gameplay in the whole of skylanders. Walking around holding a single button... So I'm going back to teleporting. I really am not all that sure that it is actually less optimal. You can engage a lot more enemies and the aoe area that causes damage is bigger with teleporting.

Flameslinger

While Pyromancer's Supernova is a noteworthy ability, it's unwieldy to use, and during setup time, Marksman will kill everything by just shooting at it. Sometimes plain and powerful beats unique, go Marksman.

Since I wouldn't use Marksman as a preferred ranged attacker versus other Skylanders, I'd recommend Pyromancer over it. Yes, it takes some skill to set up correctly, but it has uber-effectiveness when times and executed correctly. On the Kaos battle, timing it for when Kaos lands or just as the enemy Skylanders appear/Hydras begin is a great example.

Flameslinger can be a great Skylander regardless of which path you choose. Personally, I prefer the Pyromancer path since I like using his flame dash ability and the Supernova. But some people may prefer the Marksmen path overall. Go with whichever one you prefer.

Eruptor

Volcanor allows him to set the entire field ablaze, and the results are surprisingly competitive. Magmanator, however, will never compete with Boomer as a "hurler," so why try? Go with what makes Eruptor unique, or he'll always play second fiddle.

y u so slow Eruptor?! Anyways, I chose the Magmantor path. Volcanor looks cool, but doing the Eruption attacks leaves you wide open for getting hit from enemies. The Beast of Conflagration does a buttload of damage and the side fireballs that come out can assist you as well.

Unfortunately, each path has it's downfalls. Volcanor leaves him vulnerable to ranged enemies and, as stated, Magmanator is second rate to other ranged attacks. Personally, I just like the flaming skulls on Magmanator so have stuck with that :-)

For Eruptor I chose Magmantor allthough I imagine I would have had just as much fun with Volcanoer. I love being able to throw those bouncy, explosive, multiplying and surpisingly powerful blobs of lava as I run around (or walk around; Eruptor is SLOW.)

I have fully upgraded Eruptor down both paths and I said I liked the Magmantor path better before, but I now have seen the power of the Volcanor path and now I like Volcanor the best! If tou choose Volcanor, you will be able to use his eruption ability more quickly and cause massive widespread damage! I love it!
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 14:28:58 15/04/2012 by ryum
#6 Posted: 19:32:55 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
WATER

Slam Bam

Blizzard Brawler is the best. Dat +40 armor makes Slams a walking tank. Although, he is pretty slow. You could tack on the Santa hat which gives you even more armor, or the Lil' Devil hat to make him a bit faster.

Quote: terradorheart
In my opinion, Slam Bam's Glacier Yeti path is by far superior, not only in story mode but in PvP also. Setting up a bunch of ice crystals pretty much stops all enemies around you, and helps block off the field in PvP.

Zap

Personally, Tesla Dragon is the one for me. I like having better breath powers than things like the slime. Really, it's pretty easy to electrify it yourself, and your breath can go right after an enemy, rather than waiting for the enemies to come to you, or trying to set it up.

Tesla is another under-appreciated Path as it doesn't have the "cool" factor of Tesla Dragon. However, it's effectiveness in usage and stunning enemies makes it far superior.

For Zap I chose Slime Serpent because I didn't want another generic projectile character like Spyro. I found this to be an incredibly satisfactory choice that gives Zap a fun and unique role on the battlefield, spreading slime everywhere to immobilize and DoT your enemies, and then picking them off with projectiles. It's also really fun in PvP using all that electrified slime to harass inexperienced opponents! smilie

Quote: Luna-Ice
I just upgraded Zap to the Telsa dragon path as I use his lightning more than anything but am starting to regret it now that I find I am using slime a lot more. He's almost level 8. Should I reset him?

Here's a way I can help you decide: How did you upgrade your Spyro? Because if you upgraded Spyro on the fireball path then yes I would reset Zap and go for the slime path, but if you upgraded Spyro on his charging path then i'd keep Zap on the lightning path.

Zap's slime path is incredibley fun and useful; it allows you to spread high-damge auto-electrifying slime and Zap can spread a lot more of it than he usually can. It's really fun to coat the entire battlefield with the stuff so the enemies (or your PvP opponent) get trapped inside where you can then pick them off from a distance with lightning attacks.
Zap's lightning path, as far as I know, is alright. It's just very similar to Spyro's fireball path and not quite as powerful at that (though don't quote me on that one). There's no real point in having two characters with triple-shot breath attacks which is why I said switch Zap to the slime upgrade path if you chose the fireball path for Spyro.

I have fully upgraded Zap down both paths and I prefer the Slime Serpent. You may not be abie to upgrade his breath ability if you choose Slime Serpent but just as I said with Trigger Happy, Zap is not one of the best long-range attackers and is overshadowed by many other Skylanders who can do it better, even Spyro is better! Slime Serpent also gives you a more variety with your Skylanders as well.

I just finished both paths for Zap and I prefer the Slime path. It's more fun, and adds a new way to deal damage across the entire field. My 5 year also likes it because he can be up close and personal, but with much less risk than when he's playing with a melee. He still has trouble with hit and run tactics with a melee though he is getting the general idea of kiting. The breath path was kind of nice because of the bouncing part, but between spyro, and trigger happy it feels likes it been done before. With the alternative being slime and what it adds that's my recommendation. It's also much more beneficial for co-op play than most of the skylanders path options. This path paired with some skylanders really makes me with there was a difficulty setting in the game. Or like in some games where there are "challenges" where more and more bad guys spawn. In that kind of setting a Slime Zap with be an asset.

Wham-Shell

Gill Grunt

Water Weaver, and there's really no contest. Harpooner only serves to add a very mediocre entry to a game that's filled with strong projectile characters.

Now that I've gone back and tried the other path, Water Weaver is alright. I still liked the fun I had with the Harpoons, but you'll probably end up moving a lot faster with WW.

I die a little inside every time someone claims that Gill Grunt is a naff character because they chose the "Harpooner" upgrade path.
Water Weaver Gill Grunt is an underrated beast of a character who can deal ridiculous quantities of damage in single player and is dangerous in PvP to all but the most skilled oponents.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:54:54 14/04/2012 by ryum
domer Green Sparx Gems: 379
#7 Posted: 19:33:06 11/04/2012
This is excellent! Thanks...

Domer
#8 Posted: 19:33:28 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
MAGIC

Spyro the Dragon, Dark Spyro, Legendary Spyro

Sheep Burner OR Blitz Spyro

His relative strengths as a projectile character are greater than his strengths as a charger, but charging characters are generally better than projectile characters overall in Skylanders, so it pretty well balances out. Spyro will do fine regardless of what you choose; pick based on what you've enjoyed more at the time the game asks you to upgrade, and you won't regret it.

Your best bet is the Sheep Burner path. I tried the Blitz Spyro path for my Legendary one, and I absolutely hate it. The problem is that a lot of the levels don't have a whole lot of space for you to charge up Ibex's Wrath, so you can basically only do a small amount of damage with the regular attack. Sheep Burner allows you to deal a lot of damage fast with the fireballs, and charging it up works quite well too.

For Spyro I chose Sheep Burner and I find him satisfying to use as well as powerful with all his explosions and triple-shots. I would imagine that Blitz Spyro can also be fun to use, if a little fiddly.

Double Trouble

He's amazing on the Channeler Path. His Magic Armageddon attack can deal a ridiculous amount of damage within a few seconds, and the magic beam will assure you that nothing gets anywhere near you.

Channeler.

It doesn't make sense to ignore the clones, because the character seems to be based around them, but looking past that will yield the better path. The Eldritch Beam upgrade is significant (nearly doubling his reach), and Magic Bombs, which are his best attack anyway, become one of the better attacks in the entire game with the Magic Armageddon upgrade. He can do 195 damage in a wide circle in under 3 seconds with this; few characters can claim a punch like that one. Additionally, and sadly, the doubles aren't really that much less powerful than on the Conjuror path, and form valuable added defenses even if they're not his "main" ability. This one is a no-brainer.

Wrecking Ball

Total Tongue wins because it's more fun. You can even use it through some walls to get items that you may have been cut off from! All around though, Wrecking Ball is a rough character to do a lot of damage with.

I've tried the tongue path recently and I still prefer the Ultimate Spinner Path. But that's just me.

Quote: Jin Saotome
Quote: Brony
I've read Tashiji and spyroflame's list..but what should I choose for Wrecking Ball?

I can't speak for PVP but I recommend tongue path after doing both and resetting.

Tongue path allows you to eventually eat items for life and power up your burp attack. Eat one item and your burp is darker, goes farther, does more damage. Eat two or three and your burp turns read, does 60-90 damage, goes all the way across the screen and through multiple enemies! You can also snag items through certain walls and across gaps. But every time you eat an item or an enemy (soul gem) you get +10 life. So he's a regenerating eating machine.

His forcefield path does more splash damage but it's very difficult to control. You'll be able to roll faster, through enemies, and make the forcefield explode after stopping. But his charged multi-directional burp attack does the same thing so it's kinda like having two of the same attacks. I wasn't happy with the forcefield path because of this and reset him. Now that I'm on the tongue path it feels like it's how Wrecking ball was meant to be played.

While the tongue doesn't do as much damage as his forcefield roll/splash, it's more useful and easier to use in general. Try rolling through knights/high HP baddies and not killing them, only to have them stab you when you stop spinning. Ugh With the tongue I can whack them from a distance and charge my burp to nail them for big damage.

Voodood

Marauder is easily superior to Elementalist. A powered-up Zipline Axe actually allows him to keep up with the best speed-wise, and speed is the most important thing in Skylanders. Heightened axe damage makes him a force up close. Voodood is excellent in PVP with this build; if you can master the aim and timing of Zipline Axe, he can clip the wings of some of the game’s better ranged attackers with relative ease.

With Marauder, Voodood may be the most under rated, highest damaging Skylanders.

I was hesitant about what path to choose for Voodood, but I eventually chose Marauder and I was relieved to hear from others that this was the right choice by comparison to Elementalist. As Marauder, Voodood is a powerful melee character whose zipline axe can deal incredible damage with practice and the right timing. The trip wires are also fun to use in PvP, especially against newbs who are too scared to walk across them. smilie
#9 Posted: 19:33:43 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
TECH

Boomer

Boomer on the Demolition Troll path is the best "hurler" in the game, and a strong character overall. The Clobber Troll alternative is mediocre circular-AoE melee, with a decent charge attack that still can't keep pace with a flurry of bombs.

Demolition Troll is the path of great fun. Troll Bombs away will make quick work of anything that's out to destroy you while most of the bombs you can toss will assist you in stealthily ridding the enemies in your path.

Demolition Troll is so so so fun! Just remember to practice dropping Troll Bombs while throwing Dynamite :-)

Drill Sergeant

Megadozer (charging) is his only worthwhile build. Battledozer (drill guns) is one of the worst paths for any character in the game, and gives people who play it the flawed impression that Drill Sergeant sucks. Drill Sergeant is a surprisingly strong PVPer as Megadozer, and one of the game’s absolute quickest characters after Heroic Challenges.

I chose the Battledozer path simply because ROCKETS. While the Megadozer was alright, but you deal much more damage with the rockets on the Battledozer path. The Auto Blaster can take out smaller enemies from the rear, and the MIRV Drill rockets can deal damage to a wide array of enemies.

Drobot

If you don't pick Master Blaster, you basically have two options. Reset him, or get your head examined. Master Blaster is among the top builds for any character in the game. Amazing at PVP; a guaranteed win against inexperienced opponents and a worthy choice for serious battles as well.

Master Blaster. How could you NOT want the robot dragon to have giant laser attacks. I found the Quadratic Blasters to make quick work of just about everything in the game. You can still send out the bladgears to do nice damage, but in their basic form they take care of a lot of enemies.

Trigger Happy, Legendary Trigger Happy

Go with Golden Money Bags. This seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom, but as a strictly ranged character Trigger Happy pales next to some of the game's better projectile flingers like Hex and especially Drobot. His coins build up to be surprisingly powerful AoE damage, and his guns don't suffer much in the tradeoff. Bouncing bullets are overrated.

Gotta go with the Golden Frenzy. I never really cared for the Pot of Gold thing anyways; I only ever used it to take care of enemies who were up on a platform. The coins blasting off the wall will clean the level in a matter of minutes.

Golden Frenzy. Golden Gun's Interrupt and LONG range is awesome. However, that's not the main reason for this path. The Golden Yamato Blast is simply the most OP ability in the game. It is the only ability I have found in the game that can shoot through walls up up/down elevation changes. Combine that with it's crazy damage output and you simply power it up before heading in to the next room/area, fire away, and walk in to collect the EXP and coins. The singular downfall is that it doesn't work well in Kaos battles.

Unlike the Golden Money Bags which several other Skylanders (Boomer) can do similar/better, Golden Frenzy is so good, unique, and not duplicated by another Skylander that it is simply a must "Path" for everyone IMHO.

I chose Golden Frenzy with Trigger Happy because I find all that shooting oh so satisfying, especially with those bouncing bullets all over the place. I also find that other people visiting my house have a lot of fun with Golden Frenzy Trigger Happy when I play Skylanders with them.
I'm sure Golden Money Bags is a powerful upgrade path if a little boring, and It'd be a fun surprise to see more Trigger Happy players use it.

Can't decide with this one. Golden Money Bags improves his throwing abilities and is stronger than the Golden Frenzy, but the Golden Frenzy is more widespread. Plus, Trigger Happy is not one of the best long-ranged attackers. He still is a good one, but he is overshadowed by many other Skylanders like Hex, Drobot, and Boomer. So I'd say I like the Golden Money Bags the best.

Quote: ryum

I first picked the Gun path because it made sense to me, then I read a lot of recommendations for the money bag path so I reset and tried that. I found hurling the bags to be very bland vs bouncing bullets and the lose of Yamato Blast which is by far the most OP attack in the game IMHO.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:02:03 11/04/2012 by ryum
#10 Posted: 19:34:41 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I am going to copy and paste the reviews of which recommendations I think are insightful. What I most want is something like.

I’ve tried both paths and I like X path over Y path because of (and explain) or I tried both paths and I like X path because of this, and Y path because of that and explain

Or if you only did one path explain why you like it. I just want more than I picked X path because I liked it. That doesn’t really explain anything to me, and though I like the input it’s not overly helpful/

Picking a path purely for the fun factor is cool with me to, just explain please.

Hopefully no one will be offended if I didn't quote you after a while you see the same carbon copy answer, and I don't see the need to put it on there over and over

I'll add warnado and camo upgrade recommendations when they are made.

Special Thanks to Tashiji, and spyroflame0487 for the especially organized explanations that made making this post a lot easier

The reason for the multiple posts is I couldn't get past the character limit. I tried to do it faster so there wouldn't be an interrupting post but there is a 10 sec mandatory delay... so oh well

if anyone (a mod) wants to let me make a post with no character limits I'll repost then. So it will be more organized
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:02:19 11/04/2012 by ryum
WhirlWindLover Green Sparx Gems: 318
#11 Posted: 19:43:03 11/04/2012
Oh my ..... Someone else with OCD, I'm amazed I've never met anyone else like this, except my mom.
---
I read on mytholgy, dragons and griffins. Unicorns too!
smilie Twists of Fury! smilie
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#12 Posted: 19:44:04 11/04/2012
Great idea smilie I always ctrl+f my way through all the pages and it can be a bit of a pain. If you keep this up to date it will be extremely helpful smilie
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#13 Posted: 19:46:33 11/04/2012
Hahah I'd just like to say that all of my recommendations are based on pure gameplay/regular storyline. I don't play in the PvP whatsoever (I don't even have another nunchuck.. ;___; ) so keep that in mind with my recommendations.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason I didn't do Sunburn was because I ran out of characters limits.

I chose the Blaze Dragon path for him. Basically, I really love breath attacks, and the flamethrower is a wonderful one. I didn't really care for running away, especially in regular playthrough (there's really no need) and just holding the attack button lets you kill everything with fire. It does a constant stream of damage, and increases the longer you go without getting hit (10, then 20, then 30)
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:14:23 11/04/2012 by spyroflame0487
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#14 Posted: 19:47:00 11/04/2012
I just made one for Camo on the upgrade path topic. That's based on his Melon Master upgrade path, which trumps his Vine Virtuoso path. However, unlike some Skylanders who have a horrible upgrade path, and a good one, both of Camo's paths are good, but Melon Master moreso.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#15 Posted: 19:47:54 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
keeping it up to date won't be hard assuming people put their upgrade recommendations here or the official thread. After the first few pages of the official thread it really goes off the rails and the posts are all over the place. Since I've already imported what I think is the useful info from there I just gotta check the last page occasionally. hopefully by keeping a post per element I won't run into the character limit. if I do... oh well. At least most of the info will be put together.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:49:33 11/04/2012 by ryum
Mendon Red Sparx Gems: 39
#16 Posted: 19:54:26 11/04/2012
I officially dedicate my first post here to tell you how awesome you are. Now my girlfriend and I don't have to do all that digging. Thank you.
#17 Posted: 19:55:46 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: GameMaster78
I just made one for Camo on the upgrade path topic. That's based on his Melon Master upgrade path, which trumps his Vine Virtuoso path. However, unlike some Skylanders who have a horrible upgrade path, and a good one, both of Camo's paths are good, but Melon Master moreso.

just added it I had to cut out a lot cause I already hit the character limit on that thread. Sorry about that.
Grandlethal Green Sparx Gems: 174
#18 Posted: 20:09:37 11/04/2012
Adding for Sunburn:
I chose the Blaze Dragon path after much debate with the wife over the direction. I liked the idea of the teleporting, but found it to be quite cumbersome at times. With the Flamethrower ability with the infinite time is a huge enhancement. It was like playing a slightly weaker version of Double Trouble. The dash attack more than makes up for that difference though. For a character I didn't like at the start, Sun Burn now gets a lot more play time.
---
Owned: All except - smilie and smilie
#19 Posted: 20:15:43 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Grandlethal
Adding for Sunburn:
I chose the Blaze Dragon path after much debate with the wife over the direction. I liked the idea of the teleporting, but found it to be quite cumbersome at times. With the Flamethrower ability with the infinite time is a huge enhancement. It was like playing a slightly weaker version of Double Trouble. The dash attack more than makes up for that difference though. For a character I didn't like at the start, Sun Burn now gets a lot more play time.

added, and thanks
#20 Posted: 20:27:19 11/04/2012
If you're hitting your character limits already maybe you should have made 1 post per Skylander... Although you could just quote which path people have chosen (with or without a couple of words explaining why) in the hope that if people want to know why they will click on the link on the quote and read it themselves? It's not ideal but it will alow you to list more opinions.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
terradorheart Green Sparx Gems: 418
#21 Posted: 20:33:22 11/04/2012
In my opinion, Slam Bam's Glacier Yeti path is by far superior, not only in story mode but in PvP also. Setting up a bunch of ice crystals pretty much stops all enemies around you, and helps block off the field in PvP.
#22 Posted: 20:49:08 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Deandria
If you're hitting your character limits already maybe you should have made 1 post per Skylander... Although you could just quote which path people have chosen (with or without a couple of words explaining why) in the hope that if people want to know why they will click on the link on the quote and read it themselves? It's not ideal but it will alow you to list more opinions.

Yeah that sounds cool, but with the 10 sec delay there would have been no way to stop interrupting posts.

In a perfect world I would have had no character limit, or I could lock my own thread til I could finish the set up then open it up. With what was provided this was the best I could do. Also knowing what people picked does not provide me with any info. I want to know the reasons, and explanations. Having to jump from thread to thread to get the actual info would not have been useful to me.

I'd rather have a bit of good solid info that's organized than a TON that is scattered and buried in what I consider to be not so useful posts.
#23 Posted: 20:55:09 11/04/2012
Well I did say it wasn't ideal smilie

Maybe you should organise all this data off-site and link to it from here? I'm trying to think of a better option and so far that's my most viable. It's either that or getting Dark52 to help you out...
---
#24 Posted: 21:10:42 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
If a mod can lift the character limits I'll remake the original post.
voodude Blue Sparx Gems: 715
#25 Posted: 21:18:34 11/04/2012
smilie sad i wasn't quoted... but thanks for camo!
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieITALIAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#26 Posted: 21:22:46 11/04/2012
^ lol I know that feel
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:22:55 11/04/2012 by LevanJess
#27 Posted: 21:30:51 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
It was 14 pages. I was bound to miss some that's why I put in the disclaimer. Feel free to link or post your recommendations and I'll add as I can. Like I said I am running into a character limit so agreeing posts or very similar recommendations just doesn't work out logistically
#28 Posted: 21:48:34 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: terradorheart

Thanks and added
Seewolfe78 Green Sparx Gems: 331
#29 Posted: 21:56:38 11/04/2012
Awesome!!! I've been avoiding the other thread for its lack of organization, you made my CDO (It's alot like ocd but in the proper order) happy! Thanks for the cleanup!!
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
GSOsmilie
CynderFan1309 Gold Sparx Gems: 2235
#30 Posted: 22:38:25 11/04/2012
Looking at the "this is sooooooooo much better" "ive ttly been ignoring the other bcuz its 2 big" replies this might as well be the new sticky thread. Hardly any use for the old one anymore.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#31 Posted: 22:40:55 11/04/2012
^ Yeah
Nothing wrong with that anyway, I guess this is a better way for it to be handled
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:41:53 11/04/2012 by LevanJess
#32 Posted: 21:57:15 14/04/2012 | Topic Creator
does anyone know if there is a time limit on edits or something? I tried to add a few more recommendations to my posts above and it says

Error: must enter a message
in red

but when I closed everything out and tried again it worked. I made me a bit worried I might get locked out. So I just wanted to ask

Also added my Zap recommendation
after "bed time" I'll put in a couple of more I pulled aside to be added.
EgoNaut Yellow Sparx Gems: 1730
#33 Posted: 17:24:17 15/04/2012
This is a really good idea for a topic and I'm sure a lot of people here will find it useful.
---
S1: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
S2: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
S3: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
dwattzdrummer Gold Sparx Gems: 2413
#34 Posted: 03:16:41 16/04/2012
This will make your lives easier first off, I have a youtube account called, wdrumz and I do Skylander Upgrade Reviews BUT also Heroic Challenge Reviews. That being said here are my results so far:

(Keep in mind my guys are 28/28 Heroics done so far)

Trigger Happy: Golden Money Bags Path hands down, so powerful and so underrated

Boomer: I tried the Clobber Troll Path and it SUCKS in PVP compared to Demolition Troll, I was so ticked I didn't do it sooner.

Drobot: Master Blaster Path

Drill Sergeant: I did the Megadozer Path but I want to try the Drill/Gun one any thoughts?

Spyro: Sheep Burner Path, not that strong on PVP sadly...

Voodood: Marauder Path hands down, it's amazing

Wrecking Ball: Did the Ultimate Spinner Path, not sure how good the other one is. On PVP his spinner does lots of dmg.

Double Trouble: Channeler Path is SOOO MUCH BETTER than the Doubles Path, did it and in PVP it SUCKS

Gill Grunt: Water Weaver Path hands down

Zap: Did the Slime Serpent Path and changed to Telsa Path, though boring it is so good atm. The lightning shoots off of walls! So useful and his wave attack is so strong when it automatically electrifies itself

Slam Bam: Did Glacier Yeti Path but it sucked in PVP so I did the Blizzard Brawler Path and I love it, he is a tank!

Eruptor: Did both, Volcanor Path is so much better than the other one

Flameslinger: Arrow Path easy

Sunburn: Flame Lord Path but I have no idea how good the Blaze Dragon is

Stealth Elf: Pook Blade Path, shocker... she's too good haha

Stump Smash: Nut Crafter Path is sooo fun

Zook: Floral Path, those cacti RULE!

Bash: Did his Roll Path but it sucks in PVP, do the Granite Dragon Path hands down, it's insane 0_O

Prism Break: Crystaleer Path he is a GOD so strong!

Terrfain: I have him on Sandhog Path and his is a God like many state

Dino-Rang: Master Boomerang Path, this guy is a monster!

Chop Chop: I did the Shield Path, now I am on the Vampiric Sword Path and it is just okay. I don't like him very much.

Ghost Roaster: Skull Master Path is so good, those ghost can heal you if you eat them up!

Hex: Did the Orb Path and hated it, Bone Crafter Path makes her a god in PVP

Cynder: Did the Shadowdancer Path and it is fun.

Sonic Boom: Did both paths but I like her Medea Griffin Path more, when you summon those babies onto an enemy it does 40 dmg

Whirlwind: Tempest Dragon Path makes her a beast!

Lightning Rod: Lightning Lord Path and he is soooo strong if you can nail someone dead on with that lightning god summoning attack
---
wdrumz YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wdrumz
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:48:34 21/04/2012 by dwattzdrummer
#35 Posted: 15:24:47 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
yep I agree with a lot of your choices, but not all. Like the fear path for ghost roaster, I tried that and it was terribly boring way to play especially when I switched and found he has one of the best charge attacks. The thing that does suck is his charge has that annoying laugh so I really don't play him all that much anymore.
#36 Posted: 21:47:10 18/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I have not been home or my computer for a long enough time to keep updating this I hope to import some camo, and warnado path recommend since they seem to have become more common.

I have them also, but have not had a chance to check both paths yet
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me