darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > Toys for Bob is the best developer ever happened to Spyro (after Insomniac :P)
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3
Toys for Bob is the best developer ever happened to Spyro (after Insomniac :P)
TheDragonlord99 Red Sparx Gems: 90
#101 Posted: 20:17:48 14/04/2018
Quote: Bionichute
If you want an explanation for Skabb, its mostly that he's this really terrible joke villain that takes up a large chunk of an already very short game. You can do comedic secondary villains, but you need to have maybe a bit more to them than "He's stupid and his pets control him", which is a twist that's been done many times. Except its not even a twist and is just there from the start, so there's no joke beyond that.

The best I can compare is Captain Slag from R&C: Tools of Destruction. He's a comedic secondary villain, but he actually does anything throughout the game and is allowed to be a character in his own right. Skabb really isn't a character and is just a boss character for a boss character. Slag is also paired with a main villain who isn't just generic evil man, so there's that too.

And his two fights are both just way too simplistic for a game that has a GoW-style combat system. They're designed like basic platformer bosses instead of anything that actually makes use of the system. I'm not going to call it a straight up bad boss fight because it isn't, but it is a waste of the combat system.

You aren't wrong as far as simplicity goes, but this trilogy HAS done worse in that regard (those bosses you can only go left to right on for example).
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#102 Posted: 20:19:26 14/04/2018
I said it wasn't a twist, in the post. The problem is that there's nothing to him beyond that and the parrots being annoying, and only one of them is annoying and also has the problem of being annoying to the viewer because the writing can't do jokes well.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#103 Posted: 20:27:06 14/04/2018
Do they even make jokes? I just remember threats and insulting Sparx.

And you're asking for characters with more depth in a while trilogy of one, two, three note characters. He fits right in. That's not bad on its own, it's just meh.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#104 Posted: 22:01:52 14/04/2018
Classic Spyro purists: "LoS was too serious REEEEEE"

Also Classic Spyro purists: "The jokes and humour they do have ruin the atmosphere REEEEEE"

This is why we can't have nice things.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#105 Posted: 22:31:26 14/04/2018
ANB and TEN(maybe including Darkest Hour, Krome's original name for DOTD) as its own IP is one of these things I wish I could look into another alternate continuity of the world to see. It's got such good aesthetics and art direction, it just needed better quality and content; if it wasn't rushed like the other two and given a better budget, maybe...
---
#106 Posted: 22:34:03 14/04/2018
There is no such thing as "too serious".

"Too dark" or "too gritty"? Yeah. But LoS was neither of those things. It was just kid-friendly high fantasy.

I'd argue Classic Spyro is actually genuinely darker than LoS, since it actually has some more legitimately violent and potentially creepy/disturbing things.
---
#107 Posted: 22:36:43 14/04/2018
Yeah, LoS is very straight foward with the dark parts, as much as fans might overplay the edginess. Cynder's corruption, the fact that she's shunned, the Apes being turned undead forever for ditching Malefor, the poison in the Ancient Grove mutating everything that drinks it, the Fellmuth using wildlife as entertainment... That's actually it, really(that made it to the game obv, I'm not counting Pyra or the Shadow Wraith info). Classic and Skylanders I could go on forever, especially with the level cutscenes and everything to do with the Undead element.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:38:09 14/04/2018 by Bifrost
#108 Posted: 22:42:52 14/04/2018
Most of the darker stuff in LoS is either told/implied but not directly shown, only relevant for a brief moment, or it's not explored very deeply.

Classic Spyro usually had its darker stuff shown directly and if not, it described them in detail. Malefor's motivation was "I want to destroy the world", the Sorceress' motivation was "I want to brutally tear the wings off of these adorable and innocent baby dragons for nothing more than personal gain".
---
#109 Posted: 22:52:52 14/04/2018
Malefor's goals are more drastic and world ending but hearing a bad guy say they want to destroy the world isn't going to put uncomfortable imagery into your head. It's the stock, kid-friendly motivation for a villain. Destroying the world could mean just simply blowing it up or deleting it from existence but that's quick and painless.

Hearing about how a villain wants to specifically tear the wings off of baby dragons paints a pretty uncomfortable image in most people's minds. Which is why it's the darker motivation.

That's not even getting into all of the other little dark things in Classic Spyro, like the Gnorcs with blood soaked knives, the fact that Spyro is constantly playing double agent in Spyro 2 and making Avalar's citizens kill each other just to get some mcguffins, etc...

In a lot of ways, Classic Spyro actually reminds me of South Park, lol.
---
#110 Posted: 23:00:42 14/04/2018
The presentation also changes everything.

Malefor saying that the destiny of purple dragons is to awaken some Golems and bring the Great Cleansing(which we already saw is a lot of fire) is pretty violent, but it's the usual doomsday villain deal. Gaul and Cynder, as an extra, are also just like "wow I'll awaken my master and he'll take over the world, you small dragon don't understand how powerful he is". Still the usual villains.

Sorceress, word for word, says "I don't have to kill them; it just keeps them from wriggling around so much!". The fact she says it in such a callous way makes the mood that much darker. A comical kid friendly villain DEFINATELY wouldn't kill for an excuse that doesn't even involve the heroes/minions in their way.

Also, Skylanders. Just like the Sorceress, Kaossandra mentions how she turned a random person undead,burned down her castle and razed the entire nearby area with ice, but there were "no hard feelings". I might not like her in the games and she isn't even a villain in the show, but being callous is like a villain scariness multiplier.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 23:03:50 14/04/2018 by Bifrost
#111 Posted: 23:06:05 14/04/2018
There's also the fact that nobody in-universe is DISGUSTED by Malefor or anything. Like yeah, doomsday is bad and they wanna stop it, but of course the heroes want to do that.

The Sorceress' plan was portrayed in-universe as this horrifying thing. It makes Bianca switch sides, and even then, she can't fully do so instantly because of the Sorceress' hold over her.
---
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#112 Posted: 03:00:00 15/04/2018
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Classic Spyro purists: "LoS was too serious REEEEEE"

Also Classic Spyro purists: "The jokes and humour they do have ruin the atmosphere REEEEEE"

This is why we can't have nice things.

I mean, the problem is mostly that none of the jokes are... good. Sparx is maybe one of the worst comedic relief characters I've seen in a game, primarily for being annoying, but also terrifying
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#113 Posted: 06:39:33 23/04/2018
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I mean, to be fair, the story that TLOS was trying to achieve was too serious for something like Spyro, imo, but even then what humor it had felt forced or just unfunny half the time given the context of what was going on.
There's still some things that I find funny, but it does kind of feel out of place for what they were trying to go for most of the time, and even then I feel like the story would've been better suited for something entirely new than something like Spyro. :/

It's unfortunate too, because I really like what they were trying to go with in terms of the story, but it just feels really out of place for something like Spyro, and personally I think it would've been better off as its own IP.
(Obviously you'd need to replace all the Spyro stuff, but they could easily replace that with something else, possibly even a completely different dragon character)

I got to agree with everything here. I think LOS had a lot going for it and I was digging the story, but the fact that it was a reboot of the Spyro franchise was what I felt was the downfall. It couldn't continue at the same time as classic Spyro because of this. I also honestly felt that the games would have befited game-play wise if they went with the R&C route and went slightly higher in the ranks (T rating), so the gameplay wouldn't have been dragged down due to trying to remain kid friendly. I also personally think this way they could have gone more all out in terms of story.

Also the games could have easily have been their own franchise without copyright if they changed Spyro's colour and name, as well as changing Sparx, the gems and Hunter, because the games held zero similarities to the original except for keeping three characters and the gems. The personality of Spyro doesn't even need to be changed lol.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me