Page 1 of 1
Toys for bob or vv [CLOSED]
Skylandskid Blue Sparx Gems: 721
#1 Posted: 21:18:37 28/06/2016 | Topic Creator
The two Skylanders companies have made 4 and 2 games respectively, but who do you think does it better. Tfb did ssa, Giants, trap team, and imagainators while VV did swap force, and superchargers. I for one enjoy tfb games more because he characters seem more thought out.
---
rest in peace, Dreamcatcher
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#2 Posted: 21:26:25 28/06/2016
They're both good for different reasons. TfB is better at lore and more well-thought out characters, and VV is better at making actual games.

TfB's issue seems to be more that they overestimate their capabilities, judging by how Trap Team's 90+ new characters went about as well as dipping bread in water. VV seems to understand their limitations and just do the best they can, and it usually ends up being better.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#3 Posted: 21:26:58 28/06/2016
Toys for Bob. VV got some points for me with better narrative and graphics,but what we've seen of Imaginators showed that TFB is still the one that knows their brainchild through and through. They both have their shortcomings - VV loses the game's indentity easily and loves some hitstun, TFB takes more than they can chew and during TT lost control of power creep - but TFB really is the one that I can get hyped for.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:28:36 28/06/2016 by Bifrost
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#4 Posted: 21:44:56 28/06/2016
dont forget the bala brothers have left vicarious visions, and this can make huge change in the next skylanders game from vicarious visions.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:45:57 28/06/2016 by CountMoneyBone
B-BOB358 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1029
#5 Posted: 21:57:09 28/06/2016
Yeah toys 4 bob games are the true Skylanders games for me.

as the original creators they have a better vision of what the game should be , sometimes they don't fine tune it completely right , but they generally move in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong , SF was well done in general and you could tell they put a lot of work into it , but SF and SC just feel so side questy.

I actually think the best system would be for toys 4 bob to make the main game and characters and VV to design all the mini games, expansion levels and battle arenas etc. instead of splitting their creations they should work together to carry the load. which actually sounds like something they started looking into for imaginators..... So good.
---
SA & Giants are the best skylanders games. I miss the old style.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#6 Posted: 22:03:03 28/06/2016
For me, TFB. VV is technically the better developer, and I had hopes for them after Swap Force since that game was pretty decent, but Superchargers left me kind of disappointed after I realized there really wasn't anything to do in the game unless you really like racing... That, and TFB has more creativity in terms of character and environment design, I feel.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Deja Vu Platinum Sparx Gems: 5461
#7 Posted: 22:03:39 28/06/2016
TFB. The roster of their games is very diverse, though they also make characters that I really dislike as well as some amzing ones. VV really messed it up with SC, but their characters are usually likeable, there's no VV character I really hate.
As for the games, well SSA is my favorite game and Light & Dark were intoduced in TT soooo... but I guess the VV games have more depth, while the TFB games are mostly about the same thing, beat the bad guy and his minions/companions (Doomlanders, Doom Raiders, Evillanders etc.) Giants was the most different game imo. It felt more like a journey where you just go to places and talk to people. SSA had the different levels based on the elements and it was overall the darkest Skylander game so far, atmosphere wise. And TT had the villains, who offered an interesting adventure.
SF was a big step forward after Giants because it was something entirely new. SC was, well a good game if you ignore the forced gimmick. The VV games had more story. They had Kaos' mom in SF and the Darkness and Glumshanks in SC, the NPCs also played a big role there.
Overall TFB is better for me, but I understand if someone prefers VV, I did when SF was released, but TFB topped it with TT.
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#8 Posted: 22:27:45 28/06/2016
TfB. Giants is my fav.
---
Any last wishes?
stealth Yellow Sparx Gems: 1040
#9 Posted: 22:53:12 28/06/2016
Idk, personally I don't think any game beats SSF. Once again, personally. So I would say VV. I also tend to like the movesets of VV characters more, they usually are more fun to play for me.
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#10 Posted: 00:19:31 29/06/2016
What I like about TFB is their charcters .

What I like about VV
Level design
Story line
Graphics
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#11 Posted: 00:49:29 29/06/2016
TfB.
I really don't want to sound fanboy-ish but it's just what I sincerely think: TfB games are the only ones that feel like proper Skylanders games to me.
Activision really put all their efforts to remove iconic features in the last couple years (*clap clap*) but I'm convinced TfB has a rather clear idea of the series no matter what.

I'm really interested in seeing what V.V. will be able to do now that it's under a new direction, but I'm generally not a fan of their ideas.

Not to mention I honestly think TfB always looks at what V.V. did right and wrong and learns from previous mistakes; V.V. so far... Not that much.
But both teams indeed have a nice alchemy (and not only when it comes to the graphic engine... Sorry): V.V. makes the series advance and take risks, while TfB look at what has been done and adjust it while delivering their own ideas.
Don't want to make it sound like V.V.'s games are Betas or something like that, they do have value on their own.

I'm happy both teams are on board, in the end. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:58:47 03/07/2016 by Drek95
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#12 Posted: 01:07:49 29/06/2016
Toughie. TFB keeps that humble, homely feel that makes me nostalgic for the old games, but VV keeps moving forward, making big leaps and innovations, which can be quite cool. Therefore, it's honestly a tie for me.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#13 Posted: 01:33:15 29/06/2016
Toys for Bob can make some really dumb desicions with their games, but at the end of the day... they are just more fun than VV's games.
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#14 Posted: 01:59:02 29/06/2016
From the previous games I played

VV puts like more environment objects to pick up if you seen magna charge in swap force pick up objects. And levels are kinda longer.

Tfb makes storyline more exiting most of time and makes better design of skylanders.
There level are slightly short in my opinion from Giants.

That something I know about em both from previous games I played from ssa to STT
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:59:48 29/06/2016 by sky-dragon
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#15 Posted: 02:04:25 29/06/2016
At their best, VV is immensely better.
They made both the best game and the worst game.
SSF and SSC.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#16 Posted: 02:23:18 29/06/2016
REDONE POST

Well, alright, so both have pros, but both have cons. Lets start with VV.

VV has made some pretty good games, but both of their games have left me disappointed. Now, Swap Force's gimmick was really interesting, but the graphics on the Wii really ruined it for me, and plus, it removed some characters I really liked in previous games. Overall, the story was good, but I just can't love it as much as I would want to. Superchargers on the other hand, it had a really good story and switched things up a bit. The villain has won, and they added a very sinister villain, The Darkness. Plus, that ending... I could not stop laughing. Overall, VV makes more mature storylines of their games, which some older fans like me would enjoy. Though, the gimmicks and sometimes graphics can be very disappointing, and their characters aren't the greatest, but don't get me wrong, Astroblast. Nightfall, and Splat were all great characters, plus some others from Swap Force :3

TFB on the other hand, they have made some characters that are fun and not too overpowered, they great better gimmicks and they are who creates the magic in the games. They started this whole thing. Even though it's a smaller paragraph, I don't have any other words other then Wow, TFB takes it home smilie
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:25:38 02/07/2016 by Luminous35
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#17 Posted: 11:11:09 29/06/2016
Quote: Drek95

I'm really interested in seeing what V.V. will be able to do now that it's under a new direction, but I'm generally not a fan of their ideas.

Not to mention I honestly think TfB always looks at what V.V. did right and wrong and learn from previous mistakes; V.V. so far... Not that much.
But both teams indeed have a nice alchemy (and not only when it comes to the graphic engine... Sorry): V.V. makes the series advance and take risks, while TfB look at what has been done and adjust it while delivering their own ideas.
Don't want to make it sound like V.V.'s games are Betas or something like that, they do have value on their own.

I'm happy both teams are on board, in the end. smilie

it sure will be interesting to see what the next offering from vv will be without the balas... it can end up being something totally new and exciting smilie

anyway when it comes to vv games and beta. they did go a bit far this time with ssc and releasing a 200+ mb of bug fixing. and adding content missing from the disc on release later that changed the game. i just hope this trend dont continue, its a very expensive game and when you pay $200 or more for a game, at least we should expect they finished it before they release it. this is after all an aaa game and not some mobile indie game.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#18 Posted: 16:19:37 29/06/2016
Eh, it's hard to decide. SF is one of my favourite games, but SC is one of my least favourites. While I enjoy what TFB did for SSA, I feel like it could have been much better. Giants (to me, anyway) was the worst in the series and I haven't played TT, so I can't judge that.

Imaginators looks promising but I fear that the overall 'feeling' of the game won't be right to me. I'm liking the characters so far, just hoping we get levels similar to SF (less industrial, longer, etc.).

In the end, VV comes out on top, though it's very close. Imaginators will be the deciding vote in which is my favourite! smilie
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#19 Posted: 19:49:07 29/06/2016
Toys For Bob forever. I like their levels, characters, and stories. I've never really cared for how good graphics are, I just see it as a bonus. It's not just because of the nostalgia, but I just love what Toys For Bob do.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8246
#20 Posted: 20:57:47 29/06/2016
It really is an internal debate for me for who I prefer. Both have thier pros and cons. I have always seen them both as more or less equals when it comes to level and character design but prefer VV'S story telling after SSC came in and the fact that I flat out disliked TT's story. They both have come to know the seires well and I consider them both the parents of it. I feel like VV has a better idea of where to take the series, while TfB has an idea of what should stay (wither it should stay or not). They still need to find that balance and Imaginators very well could be it or at least close to it. Imaginators seems to have a very very heavy VV influence this time around and thats very good. All I ask now is open world or something close to it and a control able camera and I'll be satisfied as hell.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#21 Posted: 00:31:03 30/06/2016
Toys for Bob has the best gimmicks while Vicarious Visions has the best gameplay and puts more work in their games (i mean more finished and stuff, giants was just build from SSA and Trap team was glitchy and a bit broken but the TFB games feel more Skylander-ish)
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
bluerosedruid Gold Sparx Gems: 2991
#22 Posted: 02:59:31 30/06/2016
TFB all the way here.

VV games feel so interrupted in game play, the levels are long and the gimmicks are forced. I give you better graphics and story, but if your game play interrupts the enjoyment of those two things thhier superiority becomes moot. Trap team levels were too long and loaded with clunky puzzles, and super chargers is just a turd that has not even been polished by all the necessary updates needed to fix all the bugs. Oh and that cash grab in game purchase expansion is a complete joke in a game focused at children.
---
Imagination is the power ? Hell yeah!!! save the franchise TFB
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#23 Posted: 03:05:59 30/06/2016
Quote: bluerosedruid
VV games feel so interrupted in game play, the levels are long and the gimmicks are forced. (...) Trap team levels were too long and loaded with clunky puzzles

Uhh, you mean Swap-Force?
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:06:12 30/06/2016 by Nightmoon
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#24 Posted: 16:07:09 30/06/2016
TFB. I despise SF and SC. TFB hasn't made a bad game yet, in my opinion
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
blastermindROB Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#25 Posted: 16:50:46 02/07/2016
Toys For Bob
vv made Superchargers (i hate it)
---
"Kaigan: Grimm! (Door creaking open) Kokoro no door! Hiraku dōwa! (Suspenseful music; pages flapping)"
Icebrrrg Green Sparx Gems: 327
#26 Posted: 16:55:43 02/07/2016
Toys For Bob

TFB knows how to deliver everything a SKYLANDERS game should be.

While VV has implemented some much needed changes, such as jumping, after Superchargers, there is no forgiving VV.
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#27 Posted: 19:40:08 02/07/2016
VV for sure. If they hadn't made SSA3DS I would not have gotten Giants. If they hadn't made Swap Force I would have quit the series entirely after Giants. TFB's gameplay is just... not interesting to me.

However, I do not like VV's character designs, and prefer TFB's. Especially the dragons and other quadrupeds. So TFB's not all bad.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Bitmap Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#28 Posted: 21:29:48 02/07/2016
Vicarious Visions for sure. They've been with the Franchise the longest... Yes the GBA version of Crash Nitro Kart counts as Spyro was in that.

Vicarious Visions has better artists and animators, and so far I've really enjoyed their Skylanders games. Their characters are overall better, and it's a shame I've noticed the characters they've made aren't in promotional material as much as TfB's unappealing characters.
#29 Posted: 21:31:55 02/07/2016
You haven't seen the oceans of Swap Force merch then.
They also are very underdeveloped in personality all around. David Rodriguez is a VV writer for the comics, and even he doesn't use his team's characters often because they're heroic and brave... That's it, according to their own character annuals.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:32:08 02/07/2016 by Bifrost
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#30 Posted: 21:39:50 02/07/2016
...Why can't he give them more personality? Is he not allowed to?
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#31 Posted: 21:48:14 02/07/2016
That's something we should've asked in the Malefor Q&A, since Wallop was pretty much a filler character while the other three got all the attention. The only Swap Force character he actually develops in any way in the comic series is Night Shift,the others are support at best and cameo at worst. SC gets plenty of development, but those were 6 short comics and no time to actually see everyone.
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#32 Posted: 21:58:52 02/07/2016
Quote: Bitmap
Vicarious Visions for sure. They've been with the Franchise the longest... Yes the GBA version of Crash Nitro Kart counts as Spyro was in there.

Except this isn't the Spyro franchise.

It's Skylanders, which indeed has Spyro in it, and was created by TfB.
This kinda makes them the team who's been with the franchise the longest.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#33 Posted: 23:17:31 02/07/2016
What I like about VV is that they take risks and try new things...toys for bob makes great charcter designs.
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#34 Posted: 23:52:05 02/07/2016
VV just makes way bigger feeling worlds, more polished gameplay, and while SSC felt very gimmicky level-to-level, each of their levels feel like they have a lot more story due to they way NPCs interact. Also they have way better levels, in addition to a way better engine. Their whole games feel like full experiences.
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#35 Posted: 01:43:21 03/07/2016
I guess I prefer Toys for Bob, but I'm not saying VV is all bad. TfB creates a central idea and gets the good sales, and VV takes that idea and moves it forward while experimenting with new ideas. It's a good teamwork strategy but it could be better; VV seems a little TOO obsessed with new feels sometimes and TfB seems a bit too nostalgic, constantly trying to go back to the old; they seem to have vastly improved on that shortcoming with Imaginators though, so props to them! The one part I DO hate about VV is the character design. Almost every character is a generic bipedal heroic male stereotype. TfB has so many types of designs and doesn't seem to have any limits with character design! With Imaginators it seems like we are getting closer and closer to a game made by both TfB and VV. If they work together directly their ideas could blend perfectly! Imagine... TfB's character design mixed with VV's graphics and physics, with both of them balancing out a gimmick (not quite Giants 4, but not overly concentrated on VEHICLES SPORTS NEW) and deciding on level length and flow.
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#36 Posted: 10:51:48 03/07/2016
Vicarious Visions because Swap Force is beautiful and nothing can top it. SuperChargers was disappointing compared to Swap Force. I still thought it was better than Trap Team and Giants, though. I mostly care for gameplay and content. Vicarious Visions nails both of those. Gameplay in Toys For Bob is worse and content is a lot worse too. Sure they might have better characters, but I care for the gameplay of the character more than the personality.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:57:36 03/07/2016 by wreckingballbob
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me