Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > The All Purpose Metroid topic!
Page 1 of 1
The All Purpose Metroid topic! [CLOSED]
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#1 Posted: 06:27:17 19/06/2015 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]
Here's the place to discuss Nintendo's other intergalactic series not having to do with Foxes or Falcon Punches, Metroid!

LIST OF METROID GAMES

• Metroid, NES, 1986
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus, Gameboy, 1991
  • Super Metroid, SNES, 1994
  • Metroid Fusion, GBA, 2002
  • Metroid Prime, GCN, 2002
  • Metroid: Zero Mission, GBA, 2004
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echos, GCN, 2004
  • Metroid Prime Pinball, DS, 2005
  • Metroid Prime Hunters, DS, 2006
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Wii, 2007
  • Metroid Prime: Trilogy, Wii, 2009
  • Metroid: Other M, Wii, 2010
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force, 3DS, 2016

• Feel free to suggest anything that could make this OP better!

[User Posted Image][User Posted Image][User Posted Image]
    Edited 4 times - Last edited at 23:04:57 27/05/2017 by LunarDistortion
    spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
    #2 Posted: 12:10:01 19/06/2015
    Ridley best antagonist all year every year.

Also, I agree with JMAN. It doesn't look like a bad game, it just also doesn't look like a Metroid game.
    ---
    The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
    #3 Posted: 20:58:19 19/06/2015 | Topic Creator
    Interesting insider leak that seems legit about FF if anyone's interested.

[User Posted Image]

Quote: Kropotki on Reddit
    tl;dr.

Person claiming to be insider (likely Brad Maxim, Level Designer for Next Level Games as he quickly pulled his Linkdin page minutes after being called out on 4chan) started leaking Federation Force information that lined up with what we later saw at Treehouse and heard in interviews today.

• Game had Metroid Prime slapped on it at the last minute; was named "Metroid: Federation Force".

• Was thrown in the direct last minute as filler since they wanted Metroid anything in it.

• Samus based 3DS game in development, uses similar Chibi style and this game acts as a sort of companion too it.

• Samus based Metroid Game is not being made first party, but second party developer.

• Federation Force features different guns, some you choose at the start of missions, others you find through the battlefield. Shotgun, Heavy Machine Gun, Semi Auto.

• Samus shows up several times in Federation Force but doesn't really have much bearing on anything.

• Game has lockon system similar to Prime

• Samus is taller than the Feds

• Single player has bots take control of the other characters.

• Game is far more expansive than the trailer shows, though it's a level based game and has very little exploration.

• Mecha Ridley is in the game.

• Blastball may be sold standalone as well on the Eshop

• Blastball is just a minigame, nothing big. He doesn't know why Nintendo is pushing it so hard.

• Missions are the worst part, Campaign is fun.

• You can choose skills based on how you play to customize yourself. (Shield if you want to tank for example)

• https://archive.moe/v/thread/298802304/#298802891 Link to entire thread
    IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
    #4 Posted: 02:25:10 21/06/2015
    this topic is now property of isis the storm dragon and i approve of its existence

*clears throat*

In all seriousness I'm kinda not really sure what to think of Federation Force. On one hand, I'm really disappointed that this is what they have to show when the last game in the series was the very, very polarizing Other M (dfgndgh that game) and thus this really does nothing to restore any lost faith, but yet the fandom's reaction is just oh my god (that freaking petition should be nuked from orbit).

Some of the articles I have read following the announcement do restore some hope, but I'm still really disappointed. This game looks decent and all, but I guess I wish it was announced alongside another Metroid title? Like here's a spinoff title and a main entry kind of deal? Bah, too tired to really word it well...

That 'insider leak' is interesting, though.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:27:36 21/06/2015 by IsisStormDragon
    #5 Posted: 23:39:40 08/09/2015
    I apologize for the double post and all, but I want to talk Metroids and don't see a reason to make a whole new topic..

Anywho...

*insert long post about why Other M is skfgbfgkhkfghn and gets that over with so the topic has had its 'dfgjnfkghn Other M' quota filled*

...Oops.

Well.

As it happens, Other M is what I wanted to ramble about, but I'm not interested in doing the usual 'omg other m is trash/sexist' rant that's been done a thousand times already.

What I was thinking, as I started playing the game after watching a playthrough of it, was that it had some genuinely good ideas that were hurt by, well, the rest of the game. And I'm going to try to catch all these thoughts and explain them.

First: The idea of 'bridging the gap' between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion is not a bad idea on its own, and indeed I'd kinda like to see that done right. The problem with Other M is that, in trying to follow-up from Super and set up Fusion, it basically rips off both games and what little identity of its own is choked as a result. Like, really, what was the point of Nightmare in this game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're given no further info on him than what Fusion had, making his inclusion rather pointless. And the 'Oh noes Federation is breeding Metroids!111!11' just cheapens Fusion's own twist. Because as far as Fusion is concerned... Why should Samus be surprised? If Other M is canon, then the Federation has already done this before.

For that matter, the difference between Other M!Adam and Fusion!Adam makes me cringe. And the circumstances of Adam's death in Other M create a giant plot hole. The plot of Fusion strongly implies, if not outright states, this computer is the real Adam. So, how can that be if he got blown to pieces in Other M? Maybe I have an imperfect understanding of 'upload brain/personality to computer' stories, but I kinda feel like Adam needs to be in one piece to do that.

I've seen some people say something like computer Adam is merely based on real Adam, but I feel that really hurts Fusion's reveal about the computer's identity. Maybe I need to replay Fusion again to truly 'get' it, but even with that aside, I have a hard time swallowing the portrayal of Adam in Other M vs. how he was depicted in Fusion.

"Did this Adam care for you? Would he sit in a safe command room and order you to die?"

...Well, if Other M is any indication (oh god the super-heated room)... YES. Yes he would.

The inclusion of elements from Super seem to be mostly done with the thought of 'Heeeey remember that cool thing in Super? Have it again!' and... That's it, really. I really don't feel Other M uses anything from Super in a way that's actually meaningful (Samus' grief over the baby Metroid could have been interesting if handled right, but as it is it's become Star Wars prequel-tier and is absolutely ridiculous).

At least that opening cutscene made Mother Brain look terrifying. I'm gonna have nightmares about her now.

Also, unfreezable Metroids! ...That can still be frozen for some reason.

No Metroid-filled sector for you. But at least you get to fight a Queen! ...You know, like Metroid II? But this time, in Three Dee!

As for the gameplay itself... Well, I'd honestly enjoy it... If it had more polish, like a better control scheme and more interesting environments to explore. As it is, it has the potential to be really good, but is really hurt by that damn 'Wiimote only' control scheme and the uninspired level design.

As it happens, I feel this type of gameplay is better suited to the Fusion Suit than Samus' 'classic' armour. It just seems a bit too fast-paced and fluid for the usual Power/Varia Suit.

Maybe I'm too used to how Samus moves in the Prime games, but...

I'll stop now. I'm hungry. *runs off*
    #6 Posted: 00:54:13 04/03/2016 | Topic Creator
    After about a year of waiting for any kind of news, Nintendo finally brought back up the elephant in the room in the latest Nintendo Direct.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force is still coming, and from the footage released, it's looking seemingly better than it has in the past!

Also, I'll try and update the look of this topic soon. It won't take too long.
    kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
    #7 Posted: 03:50:18 04/03/2016
    I just recently got into the metroid series, (like, two months ago) starting with the metroid prime trilogy on eShop. I have to say this is now one of my favourite nintendo titles, if not series as a whole. I've only finished Metroid Prime, and hunters, and both were really good. I loved how there's a really big story in Prime, but it's all sitting in the background, waiting to be picked up by scanners. The feel that I was alone, without anyone to tell me what to do, and without anyone to really save, was almost liberating, I felt free, without burdens, heck, even the final goal of gathering the artifacts takes a back seat to just exploring the expansive map.

My only problem with the game is it's boss battles. With the exception of meta ridley and the first form of metroid prime, they all felt boring and just took way too long to defeat, and only the metroid prime and the omega pirate were difficult, the omega pirate for all the wrong reasons >>>>>.>>>>>

Shameless plug
    I actually recorded me playing metroid prime on my YT channel

On the topic of federation force, I don't see what's wrong with it. I'm essentially treating it like the "tri-force heroes" of metroid. Not a main series game, just something different to hold out for the next instalment, which is fine.
    ---
    I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
    #8 Posted: 02:36:06 20/08/2016
    *internal screaming*

This. Is. AMAZING

HYPE BEYOND HYPE

SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY
    ---
    #9 Posted: 00:51:53 22/08/2016
    Federation Force is pretty okay. Just announced and released at the worst possible time.

That ending tho
    #10 Posted: 02:58:43 08/02/2017
    Bumping this back from the dead, but is it worth playing Other: M? Like, all I really hear about it is negative, but is it true? Or just fans overreacting?
    ---
    #11 Posted: 07:24:38 09/02/2017
    Eh, depends. The story is pretty much as bad as everyone says, buuuut the gameplay is hit or miss. There's some good ideas in there, but IMO the controls are honestly uncomfortable (I don't like using the D-Pad for games like this because it hurts after awhile and activating the Morph Ball and Concentration ability are frustrating as hell).

The game's atmosphere is on point, at least, although something about the level design seems a bit... bland?

Really, if you can get past the controls and don't mind the unskippable cutscenes, you'll probably find something to enjoy here. My suggestion is to try to get the game cheap, though, just in case.
    #12 Posted: 14:51:39 09/02/2017
    Hmmm, alright. I'll see if I can borrow my cousins copy then instead of buying on virtual console.
    ---
    #13 Posted: 01:14:43 10/02/2017
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Hope you find something to enjoy at any rate.

While I'm here...

Probably my favorite remix for this game.
    #14 Posted: 01:53:08 10/02/2017

Speaking of Prime 3 remixes.... I am crazy in love with this track.
    ---
    #15 Posted: 03:52:14 28/04/2017
    So double post, but I don't think they count if its been over two months.

I managed to get my hands on a copy of other:M and gave it a whirl, and it's not that bad. It's not great, but I'd go far enough to say its good, most of the time. Without going into spoilers I'll say that the game has some issues with being incredibly cryptic and also fairly difficult. Personally I felt the game was a bit too linear, always pushing you from one save point to the next, with no chance to simply explore. I found most of the bosses fairly enjoyable with the exception of a specific one. At the beginning of the game I thought I'd never get used to the control scheme, but it really grew on me honestly. The constant switching between first person and third person was actually pretty cool.

Where to even begin... Well I'm just gonna flat out say it, I didn't mind Samus' character in this game. Aside from THE DAMNED BABY. The whole restricting functions was a roller coaster of emotions. First off, I hated it, being told no, you can't blow that guys face off, or "please burn in lava even though you can be immune" but when I got to the point where the story starts implying that Adam is the villain, then I thought "hey, that makes sense, of course the villain would restrict the hero's abilities, that works!" And I was really content with the idea. Until of course, it's revealed he isn't the villain, and instead a hero. (is he actually? he still doesn't seem like it, we never actually see the part of the ship blow up, all we know he just escaped with all those metroids laughing his way to the bank)

Anyway I liked the mystery vibe the game had going for it for the first 3/4. Samus thinks there's some sort of traitor out of the Fed squad, who is eliminating everyone. The issue is that this is never resolved. "The Deleter" as she put it, is completely dropped once Samus thinks that it's Adam. But wait, we not only watched the deleter toss another fed into lava, but also attacked us with heavy machinery. WHO WAS THIS? We get no answer, none, zip, zero. Y'know, it probably is Adam, it explains why he ****ing shoots Samus for trying to kill a metroid.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I need to address one last thing, what the hell kind of final boss is that? I literally had to look up how to do the "finishing blow" to the damn thing. You just suddenly have power bombs, with no ****ing explanation, and just expecting to remember how to use it from the tutorial that was oh, idk, over 15 hours of gameplay ago. Oh but the last scene more than makes up for it, even though it was a "wtf do I do" sort of thing trying to kill all those monsters until you decide to just flat out shoot MB dead. It was great.

Oh, actually one last thing, what the hell was that "bonus boss" in the post game? Was that mother brain? It sorta looked like it...
    ---
    Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9930
    #16 Posted: 11:37:46 28/04/2017
    The bonus boss is from Super Metroid, it's

Phantoom.
    ---
    SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
    (What I need is never what I want)
    #17 Posted: 17:10:08 13/06/2017
    You have been summomed to June, dead All Purpose thread!

That reveal was the equivalent of a mic drop. I can't believe Vinny Vinesauce managed to summon 3 revivals by streaming their games around E3. Metroid hasn't been forgotten yet.
    ---
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:10:31 13/06/2017 by Bifrost
    #18 Posted: 17:14:13 13/06/2017
    Wtf, really? Now's not a good time to not have the Wifi for the Treehouse stream ;___;
    ---
    #19 Posted: 07:47:55 27/06/2017
    I've been so excited about the announcement I'm surprised I haven't posted in this thread yet. So let me get the first thing out of the way...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ahem. I am so excited there are no words kfnfkghnkfh

Two Metroid games in one day? It's Christmas in June!

Really curious to know what Retro's current project is, though, now that we know it's not Metroid Prime 4. This also makes me wonder what Prime 4 will be like, since it'll have a new devteam and all. While I don't dislike either game, Hunters and Federation Force just didn't quite have the 'magic' of the Trilogy.

Also, since LunarDistortion doesn't seem to visit dS anymore... Think someone should remake this thread? Because I might if anyone wants that.
    #20 Posted: 12:53:54 28/06/2017
    So fed force was cheap at my local walmart, so I decided to pick it up. It was actually pretty fun to play, and I managed to beat the whole game just in single player, even though some parts are clearly tailored for mulitplayer. There are some problems however, the game is kinda short, with only around 30 missions, so I think my play time ended at around 10 hours, and uh, of course...

Going in I knew the spoiler that Samus was the last boss, this probably didn't help as I assumed it meant the Federation was fighting Samus over something important and there was gonna be a huge epic battle where you'll be contemplating if what you're doing is right. But no, she's just controlled by space pirates and shows up out of nowhere, oh yay, a plotless final boss. Even worse is that the entire boss fight has Samus in morph ball. ALL OF IT. This is disappointing beyond any words.

I mainly bought the game so I could see the end sequence teasing prime 4 again. I didn't end up finding it in-game so I just watched it on youtube again lol, but after playing Other: M, I'm realizing that this ending means a lot more than I first realized. We see Sylux sneak into a Federation base, find a metroid egg, and witness it hatch, that's it. At first it doesn't seem like a lot, but a crucial point that Other: M brought up is that metroids imprint on the first thing they see after hatching, in this case, Sylux. It's reason to believe that Sylux would now have close to total control over this new metroid, which has the potential to even grow into a queen and hatch more metroids for him to control. A scary thought...

But uh, I'd probably give FedForce a 6/10 It was pretty fun to play, but was kinda short and some of the bosses were severely lacking.
    ---
    StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
    #21 Posted: 23:58:21 29/06/2017
    Say IF Samus ever speaks again, I hope it's done by a western development team and not the likes of Yoshio Sakamoto.

I mean Jennifer Hale was so perfect. I know she just did grunts but her performance as Commander Shepard. You could place her voice clips over Samus in Other M and would be a completely difference experience (as least for certain cutscenes where Samus isn't displaying the body language of crapping her pants or looking submissive).

It'll probably never happen but can't be consider a horrible idea. Samus is brave but not heartless.
    ---
    Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
    #22 Posted: 16:53:25 04/07/2017 | Topic Creator
    Hey guys, thanks for keeping this topic alive for so long! I've agreed to hand over the helm of this topic to IsisStormDragon so head over and support her updated and improved All Purpose Metroid topic!
    Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me