Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > I Feel Like This Fandom Is Dying
Page 1 of 1
I Feel Like This Fandom Is Dying [CLOSED]
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#1 Posted: 10:13:38 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I don't know why, I just do.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#2 Posted: 18:12:30 29/07/2014
It's been dying/dead since 2009, you just gotta deal with it. The big contributors like myself have moved on and are just lurkers to see if anything worthwhile or interesting comes up. So far, nothing really has.
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#3 Posted: 18:42:43 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Razz
It's been dying/dead since 2009, you just gotta deal with it. The big contributors like myself have moved on and are just lurkers to see if anything worthwhile or interesting comes up. So far, nothing really has.

And then I tried to revive it with an ultimate idea, but I've given up on that idea.

This is such a cruel world...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:17:12 29/07/2014 by gillgrunt987
#4 Posted: 20:17:00 29/07/2014
No one person can bring a community back to life. That's not how it works. Like I said elsewhere, the right fan comic might stir up some interest, or a new non-Skylanders game, but the old days are gone and this fandom is never going to be what it was. That's just not how reality or the progress of time works.
TheReptileGirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1197
#5 Posted: 23:32:53 15/08/2014
I loved this fandom to pieces, and it is an awful shame that it is burning out like an open candle flame in the wind. I love Spyro as much as to the next guy, and Skylanders pretty much killed him. Yes, Razz, you are indeed right, it is very hard to bring a community back to life, and I get that a lot. It takes a lot of publicity, advertising, supportive fans and what not. Some people are here to thankfully keep this fandom alive, and I am super grateful a guy made a site just for our purple hero. In the real world, people can hardly remember the name Spyro, or think of Skylanders and say "He's just a character", but in our hearts, Spyro will never die, he will always give us courage, our happiness and that feeling to belong and fit in in a such an odd and unique world with different people.

To me, Spyro will never die, and he shall live on until times end.
---
It's a no from me.
#6 Posted: 03:06:52 16/08/2014
Honestly, I think what made the old fandom great was its small size. In general, small fandoms seem to be nicer. It's when they get big that they become insufferable (MLP, Sonic, Ava's Demon...). Even in big fandoms you can still find good parts, but that sort of requires something as big as Homestuck fandom, and Spyro/Skylanders fandom is nowhere near that size.
#7 Posted: 03:26:30 16/08/2014
The skylanders fandom consists of little kids and adult collectors, the Spyro fandom used to be big, but with the newer era it over grew and practically went over board. It is honestly a shame where this fandom went, really.
---
It's a no from me.
#8 Posted: 04:19:19 16/08/2014
Yeah, the Spyro fandom sort of exploded when DotD came out...exploded with really creepy Cynder fans. D: Skylanders fandom on the whole just reminds me of any other somewhat large fandom, at least on these boards; not very fun but sort of a good way to get info on the object of fan obsession itself, if nothing else (and there is nothing else I've seen).
#9 Posted: 05:17:23 16/08/2014
It's a shame though, DotD was an excellent and visually stunning game at it's time, but it was sadly too short, but very enjoyable. I loved the new designs they did on the characters as well, still looked cartoony, but had a sense of realism as well. And yeah, the Cynder fans were a tad bit too much, I think she stole the game tbh.

I KNOW, it's a bunch of kiddies that practically run this website now. Pretty sad, but what can you say?
---
It's a no from me.
#10 Posted: 07:42:49 16/08/2014
Alas, the critics and many fans would disagree with you on all of that. Ico came out years before DotD and had a much more unique visual style. Same with the Jak and Daxter games, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank... DotD didn't do anything that hadn't been done before in any regard. It also gave me a headache; that bloom effect was waaaay overdone. D:

Yeah, Cynder kind of took Sparx out of the picture, and that was a pretty damaging blow to the story. I honestly was more or less okay with the game up to that point, but I hate everything that came after it.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 10:07:40 16/08/2014
It's funny I'm seeing this topic here now; it's actually one I wanted to make before I made this account, though then I saw there was still some discussion and decided not to. I still had a feeling you would, Loco.

Without a rumours of/a new game, I doubt it'll become active again. Many people were probably hoping for and talked about the possibility of a new Spyro game or things in the old ones, and eventually got tired of doing that because they felt there wasn't enough left to base discussion on, especially with no actual new game arriving. Plus, some people will leave because they dislike how inactive it is now.

As I see it, there are two options:
1. Stop participating in the fandom due to getting bored of it, or
2. Continue to talk/create art for it even with the reduced activity.
#12 Posted: 16:11:56 16/08/2014
You are probably thinking of the PS2 version, yeah, that one was very very bad. And what I meant by visually stunning, is that they did a complete style change, and I really really enjoyed it.

I personally enjoyed TLoS series, but it still needed more work, the first game was repetitive, the second was too hard, and the third was too short. I liked he story line at least.

It's very un-likely there will be another game, as Skylanders is slowly pushing Spyro out in case if you hadn't noticed, they made him a side kick, and I have a feeling this will be the last game he may star in.

I stayed in this fandom because it had helped me improve on my art, that and in my younger years I was obsessed with Spyro. I hope this fandom stays alive for a little while longer, or else it will parish like Jak and Daxter fandom.
---
It's a no from me.
#13 Posted: 19:06:17 16/08/2014
AoA: I seem to recall that we were all pretty confident DotD would be the last Spyro game back in the day and it was a shock to most folks that Skylanders was announced, but I could be misremembering those times. The art/writing side of the fandom has dwindled somewhat thanks to very bad fans attacking creative contributors. I still draw for the fandom once in a very great while, but I keep it where it's not so easy to find.

TRG: That makes sense and is perfectly fine. :) I liked the character styles in the game proper myself, but I loathe the official art and the cutscene designs. As an artist, the broken anatomy of both DotD Spyro and Cynder makes me cringe every time I see it. D:

I enjoy LoS for all the reasons LoS fans can't stand me, in general. :D It makes a much better accidental comedy for me. :D

It's hard to say. People have been saying Spyro would be phased out of Skylanders since SSA came out and he's still there (as a mini and as an elite both). I'm not going to make any judgements or presumptions and I don't really care one way or the other anyway. I'm just waiting for Elora to come back. :D

Oh man, I miss the JnD fandom! Those were some good times. :) Most of my friends from there moved on to Mass Effect and being title card artists for Todd in the Shadows. We still reminisce from time to time, though. :) I don't know if Spyro fandom can ever be that way, though. Unlike JnD fandom, it didn't just fade, it got vicious and nasty and actively worked to drive out most of its biggest content creators (me, ShaloneSK, Mischef, Ookani...tons of good people I can't remember off the top of my head). Those creators either migrated to Skylanders fandom or just up and left completely.
rasigar_dragon2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#14 Posted: 14:51:04 02/09/2014
Hate to say it but yes. It's dying. In a bad way.

I enjoy most spyro until dotd. (Mostly TloS trilogy. That have a good impact on me ) I enjoyed Skylanders but when Giants announced I'm hyped but due to the game literally is expensive and now it's being released yearly. I can see that spyro is like CoD. Yearly releases and a money milking franchise by Activision.

Its sad that spyro is now a minor side character.
---
[RYUSEI: My reflexes are honed by years of gaming!]
Tikikata Blue Sparx Gems: 506
#15 Posted: 17:56:46 05/09/2014
I love classic Spyro and Legend of Spyro and Skylanders Spyro for all different reasons. While I loved the concept of collect-a-thon Spyro in the classics, I still think the story of Legend of Spyro was pretty okay and Skylanders Spyro has a little attitude like his classic generation cousin. I feel like the fandom is still around; it's just not as pronounced as it used to be.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#16 Posted: 18:57:52 05/09/2014
I don't know about dying, but it has definiteyl decreased over the years, drastically...
The thought of this fandom/Spyro in general being completely forgotten/dead as the years go on does come to mind occasionally though.
I just hope it's not completely forgotten in the years to come. ._.
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6442
#17 Posted: 00:31:36 08/10/2015
Dont't worry I am a spyro fan from the legend era and I am stil here but cant't do anything sadly.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#18 Posted: 12:29:05 08/10/2015
Holy necromancy,batman.

The fandom's hostility seems to have been what pushed people away more than anything. There still are some big artists out there still doing art for oldschool Spyro,but most got bullied or scared out of it by the fanboys and fangirls attacking over little things; some of them even still work near the style and with dragons but will refuse to do Spyro art exacty because of it. Or their art might be good but they're not popular because no one wants to hear someone whine that they want oldschool Spyro and want it now all the time,as I've seen on tumblr.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:30:20 08/10/2015 by Bifrost
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#19 Posted: 00:38:10 10/10/2015
Quote: Bifrost
The fandom's hostility seems to have been what pushed people away more than anything.

That's true.

Most people are trying to be stay away from it, especially in the Classic and Legend Fanbases beacuse of all those fanboys/girls. Most of them are so annoying.
#20 Posted: 00:46:07 10/10/2015
Skylanders unfortunately isn't being too different as the fans start growing "up". And of course, with the infighting,there aren't really many places you can talk about all series aside from here(and even DS has its moments) without someone deciding to be hateful. And of course,add that to unmoderated places like Youtube and DeviantART and possibly Tumblr, and you cut the roots of the fanworks.
---
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#21 Posted: 03:09:53 10/10/2015
Personally, I feel that the Spyro fandom is dying because the fans are refusing to move on. The Skylanders community certainly isn't going anywhere, and probably won't be for awhile. And sure, it might be hard to accept that SPyro is well and truly dead, but you guys have been mourning it for 7 years.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#22 Posted: 03:51:37 10/10/2015
It's not even just the mourning thing, there were amazing artists and fanfic writers that might have had 'too bad that Skylanders exists I hate it' stuffed down their throats instead of actual incentive. A temper tantrum is no different if it's one person or hundreds; Acti won't take pity on whining and spoil us with whatever we want if we yell loud enough.

What keeps a fandom alive is making people interested in the community; do art, fangames,fanfics, do projects, invite for online play if the series has it,create discussion, keep things in motion.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:53:48 10/10/2015 by Bifrost
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#23 Posted: 04:06:42 10/10/2015
Another reason it's beacuse of Skylanders.

The Skylanders Fandom is normally ok...well outside of darkSpyro. As for the Spyro Fandom it's terrible everywhere...
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#24 Posted: 04:20:52 10/10/2015
Yeah i have had some complaining....but i'm making my Cards anyways and posting for those that want them for there collection..... nay say'ers never bothered.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:21:37 10/10/2015 by Phoenix_Lord
Fryno Forever Yellow Sparx Gems: 1071
#25 Posted: 20:30:33 10/10/2015
I'm posting my fan-game, All-Stars (the first one) to get my ideas out there. I hope somehow it can contribute in some small way to a fandom revival. I'm allowed to dream...
---
Back and Better Than Ever!
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6442
#26 Posted: 20:52:00 10/10/2015
I hope one day someone can complete some fangames or movies because even if I'm a huge spyro fan I no longer know if there still a reason to stay here.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#27 Posted: 21:14:45 10/10/2015
Everyone always leaves the project or disbands, kinda sad. I've seen some personal ones go far,but as a one-man team it's bound to take forever and people end up losing interest over time. Fanart,fanfics and fangame ideas are easy to do and complete because you just need to put it down on paper once; not so much about animations and games.
---
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#28 Posted: 00:41:16 11/10/2015
There used to be tons of stuff and now its gone ;-;
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#29 Posted: 04:17:05 12/10/2015
I personally move from fandom to fandom, but you know what? The Spyro fandom is always what I end up coming back to. It's always there in the back of my mind and I don't think it'll ever go away. I grew up with it, and for my whole life I've lived and breathed it and sketched it at school. There is still a community out there if you know where to look, but there is no denying that it is not what it used to be like. Honestly though? I like it better now that what it was years ago. Things have cooled down now and everyone seems more settled. There are not as many arguments as there used to be (original vs legend vs skylanders, shipping wars just to name a couple of the major ones) and people have just seemed to accept things better and are more open to ideas? I don't know if this is what it's like in the fandom as a whole, but this is what it's like in my part of the community anyway. But yeah, I think that the conflict back then is what drove most people away. Drove me away for awhile... but here I am again. And I think I'll always be here.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#30 Posted: 03:14:47 13/10/2015
If the hordes of entitled Cynder fans couldn't drive me away, nothing will. :D As a long term contributor to the content side of this fandom, though, I admit that there's not really any drive for me to make new stuff these days. I try every now and again, get yelled at for not writing SxC or whatever, then I wander off. Because of that, anything I'm going to make that's Spyro-related has to be something I myself really enjoy and there's not much time in my life for that much work/energy. The fandom used to keep me going, but it's not there anymore (which is just the cycle of fandom) and I'm too busy to produce ideas all on my own with no guarantee of much gain. I've got a couple ideas I would like to get out of my head, of course (that old Elora comic, a sequel to "Heart of the World", and maybe an original version of my old Gaul comic) but none of this is at the top of my priorities list.

These days I'm just sort of an old staple that lurks to see what folks are talking about. XD
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me