Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > I refuse to join the bandwagon, but I offer you an alternative.
Page 1 of 1
I refuse to join the bandwagon, but I offer you an alternative. [CLOSED]
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#1 Posted: 21:51:33 17/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Believe it or not, even I have noticed the abundance of "what do you think about me"-topics lately, and so far I've restrained myself from hopping on the bandwagon.

Instead, I will now do something else. I will take the time to tell you about myself, and ask nothing in return. There is no less self-interest involved with this choice, so I'd rather give you something to read which you might learn from.

If you're not interested, that's completely fine. You don't need to waste your time by saying it to me, because I sure as hell won't waste my time by replying to posts like that.

---

A lot of people already know the simple stuff: I'm 21 years old and I live in Finland. I recently went through a year of compulsory military conscription and reached the rank of Corporal. Nowadays I'm trying to get a place in a police academy here in Finland this year. I enjoy science, debating and videogames, and one of my favorite hobbies is weightlifting. I daresay I'm also in pretty good shape because of that.
That's my life's story in a really tiny nutshell, and that's all I will say about that. I'm really not here to write a biography, but to tell you more about what I believe in and how I think.

People usually describe me as a calm, nice guy. They often share the mental image that I'm wise, but I think that's just a lable we give to a person who knows things. They're not entirely wrong to think that.

It's true that I don't usually get angry, but the sole reason for that is that I often don't see a reason to do so. If such valid reasons were to present themselves, I'd have no qualms about getting angry and I'd consider it completely justified.
I am also usually not rude. I like being social and being in good standing with others is very important to me. Making someone hurt/insulted goes against my upbringing, and being rude for no reason at all is also entirely illogical.

I am an atheist, which basically means complete lack of faith and belief in divinity, or any supernatural phenomena. I cannot completely prove the inexistence of any god, but that does not make me an agnostic.
By default I do not respect any religions, I admit. This does not mean I disrespect them though.
At their best, I view religions as old, failed sciences that people cling on to as a form of tradition, and as common viewpoints that teach a group of people how to live in harmony.
At their worst, I view religions as irrational dogmas that not only lead people away from reality, but also encourage them to do harm to those who do not agree with their religious views.

I believe that anything supernatural, by definition, cannot exist. Otherwise they'd simply be considered natural, unexplained things.
I do not believe in the existence of good and evil as anything more than fluid ideas which we use to describe things we agree with or don't agree with.
I also don't believe in the existense of "souls" as a concrete entity. I think "soul" is simply a term we use to describe our social consciousness.

I think logically and rationally; I base my decisions on rationality, upon logic, and upon evidence. This does not mean that I base all my assumptions on logic and evidence, however. Saying that you believe something to be true, without any evidence to support your statement is a completely valid statement; Your belief, however, does not prove the subject of your belief to be true.

I believe very strongly that there is a physical reality that my perception does not change. To me, the world is not merely a manifestation of how I sense things around me, but it's an entity completely separate from me, and I may not simply sense it to it's fullest extent.

I believe that constructs like language, rights, equality and fairness are tools that can be employed and maintained, but in themselves are never the purpose or the center of motivation for any courses of action. For this reason I often hold opinions that many people do not agree with.
For example, I do not believe that all humans are equal. This is simply because I "value" different things/aspects of people in different situations, so it all depends on context. This does not mean I disrespect anybody without a valid reason though.

However, despite many of my tendencies to think like one, I am not a machine. I am human, just like all of you. My mood may vary due to the physical condition of my brain and my state of nourisment. I can feel anything for different reasons that are valid for me but might not apply to you. My feelings can affect my standings and choices of action even if I often try to ignore them. I am not perfect, and I can make mistakes.

I think that's about it. Ask me stuff if there's something you didn't get an answer to.

TL: DR - Sorry, you're just going to have to read if you were interested.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:31:22 17/03/2014 by Samius
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#2 Posted: 22:05:28 17/03/2014
Quote: Samius
I do not believe in the existence of good and evil as anything more than fluid ideas which we use to describe things we agree with or don't agree with.

This so much.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#3 Posted: 22:17:36 17/03/2014
I don't really have much to say or anything I feel needs asking, but that was an interesting read.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#4 Posted: 22:28:08 17/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I don't really have much to say or anything I feel needs asking, but that was an interesting read.

Thanks, that's all I could've hoped for.
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#5 Posted: 23:32:13 17/03/2014
This was very interesting to read. I really don't have any questions to ask. As always, I did learn quite a bit about you.
The best of luck to you in getting into the Police Academy. ^.^
#6 Posted: 23:38:43 17/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: thumper
This was very interesting to read. I really don't have any questions to ask. As always, I did learn quite a bit about you.

Thanks.

I wish more people did topics like this, instead of just asking others what they think about them. Reading them could be interesting.
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#7 Posted: 23:57:08 17/03/2014

Thanks.

I wish more people did topics like this, instead of just asking others what they think about them. Reading them could be interesting.

Time for a new bandwagon!
#8 Posted: 00:08:48 18/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CommanderGame
Time for a new bandwagon!

This one could actually be good.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#9 Posted: 00:11:20 18/03/2014

Thanks.

I considered doing one as soon as I read this, but I realised I wouldn't have much to say without getting tangential about things nobody cares about. Plus, I don't have much presence (which is largely why I feel many people don't seriously make one like you did).
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#10 Posted: 00:21:39 18/03/2014 | Topic Creator
I considered doing one as soon as I read this, but I realised I wouldn't have much to say without getting tangential about things nobody cares about. Plus, I don't have much presence (which is largely why I feel many people don't seriously make one like you did).

When I wrote this one I honestly thought that the first and only response I'd get would've been just "TL: DR" or "Cool story bro".
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#11 Posted: 00:23:35 18/03/2014

Thanks.

That's what I think as well.
Except that last thing. I would say I have a decent presence around here.
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#12 Posted: 00:40:41 18/03/2014
Quote: wspyro

Thanks.

I'd love to see one about you wspyro.
Because you've always been like that kind of "Press select for a hint!" Guy.
So "Press wspyro for a how-to!"
SO DO ET.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#13 Posted: 00:49:07 18/03/2014

When I wrote this one I honestly thought that the first and only response I'd get would've been just "TL: DR" or "Cool story bro".

The expectation we get!

Quote: CommanderGame
Quote: wspyro

I'd love to see one about you wspyro.
Because you've always been like that kind of "Press select for a hint!" Guy.
So "Press wspyro for a how-to!"
SO DO ET.

O! Never heard that before! smilie
Hmm, maybe I'll try. If this headache gets away, I'll open up Word and try Samuel's suggestion.
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#14 Posted: 03:11:46 18/03/2014

This.

~

As for the topic, I may not agree on everything (I agreed with most of it though) and I probably could make an argument about religion, but I don't wanna start a religion war.
---
#hu
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:12:18 18/03/2014 by Rickorio
#15 Posted: 11:02:47 18/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Rickorio
This.

~

As for the topic, I may not agree on everything (I agreed with most of it though) and I probably could make an argument about religion, but I don't wanna start a religion war.

Oh no no, don't think about it that way. There has never been a "religion war" here on this forum. What we've had are debates, debates about religion.

People in this forum normally don't like debates, because not many people here want to inspect arguments objectively, instead of starting to simply insult the person arguing against them.
So, someone started to use the term "religion war" to place a stigma upon all religious debates. It's a stupid term too, it gives an entirely different meaning to the thing it's supposed to describe.

So ignore that feeling, it's flawed. Sure, the idea of starting a "war" feels bad, but you wouldn't be starting a war, the term is simply lying to you.

Ask away, learn something new, present your ideas. We can debate like civilized, mature human beings, without insulting each other or taking offense from each other's arguments.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me