Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Why America sucks at education [CLOSED]
wakapro77 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#51 Posted: 23:28:27 29/01/2014
Quote: Metallo
Quote: hardcoreignitor
Sorry, but when you mess with Canada, you mess with me.

You won't say that when Taiwan is laying the smackdown on you.

(sorry waka just couldn't resist)

so are yer chinese or JAPANESE?
---
hence, the yiffening shall come

I submit my art on my tumblr. PM me for the link.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#52 Posted: 23:29:35 29/01/2014
Sorry, but when you mess with Canada, you mess with me.

That's the same attitude that Americans have that gives Americans the bad reputation it has today.
If you want to prove yourself better, don't stoop to the same level.

Quote: HIR
^Consider that my "nice" warning. If you try to keep shoehorning Canada into topics, I will replace it with "Fluffy Bunnies." >.>

Wouldn't that be abuse of power?
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#53 Posted: 23:56:25 29/01/2014
If you came and lived in my district for a day, you'd understand why I hate public school is because of most of the teachers. But that's just me, I guess.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#54 Posted: 00:00:40 30/01/2014
Hey look a kid trying to understand politics.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#55 Posted: 00:05:08 30/01/2014
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356

canada is only 10th
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#56 Posted: 00:32:46 30/01/2014
Quote: CAV
Quote: HIR
^Consider that my "nice" warning. If you try to keep shoehorning Canada into topics, I will replace it with "Fluffy Bunnies." >.>

Wouldn't that be abuse of power?

I honestly thought the "fluffy bunnies" was a dead giveaway I was joking. <.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sniper52 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1306
#57 Posted: 01:03:44 30/01/2014
I wish I lived in UK or Australia instead of USA.
---
HAISHFTAYADGHpenisHDGNADGITUGDUAHD
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#58 Posted: 01:38:51 30/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: sniper52

In terms of economics, the UK is doing FAR worse than we are.
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#59 Posted: 06:15:46 30/01/2014
I don't really know much about the American school system, but from what I understand you are all required to take at least maths and english, (and maybe the sciences??) all throughout high school, regardless of your career path or strengths. Which is kinda ****ty. New Zealand doesn't have that. You can drop maths after year 11 and english after year 12 and still get into university, because the system is based around achieving well in whatever subject, not strictly academics.

Like it's kinda dumb that you guys force people to take say maths all through high school if they're terrible at it and will have no use for it in their life. A lot of people do still take maths and english, but no one's forced to do it.

I mean yeah there are still ****ty kids who don't want to do **** and **** around, especially in junior school, but at least people taking the more academic subjects actually want to be there.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#60 Posted: 06:26:52 30/01/2014
Thanks for the Sympathy Dragons-go-hrr. Math is evil....Well most of the time.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#61 Posted: 06:33:34 30/01/2014
Quote: Dragons-go-hrr
I don't really know much about the American school system, but from what I understand you are all required to take at least maths and english, (and maybe the sciences??) all throughout high school, regardless of your career path or strengths. Which is kinda ****ty. New Zealand doesn't have that. You can drop maths after year 11 and english after year 12 and still get into university, because the system is based around achieving well in whatever subject, not strictly academics.

Like it's kinda dumb that you guys force people to take say maths all through high school if they're terrible at it and will have no use for it in their life. A lot of people do still take maths and english, but no one's forced to do it.

I mean yeah there are still ****ty kids who don't want to do **** and **** around, especially in junior school, but at least people taking the more academic subjects actually want to be there.

Washington State puts a big emphasis on STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) because it's Microsoft and Boeing's home state. So we, at least in our district, have very high standards as far as public schools go. -___-' (the career choice i want has nothing to do with math/ science.)
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#62 Posted: 06:35:48 30/01/2014
Quote: Spyrobaro

Wait....you guys don't have to take math throughout your entire school career?

Nope. There are three years of examination that actually count for stuff, and you only have to take maths for the first one. And level 1 maths is pretty easy. You can stop taking it when you're around 15/16 years old.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#63 Posted: 07:07:13 30/01/2014
I am glad I know not everyone over 18 has a gun.
---
ReshiramForever Platinum Sparx Gems: 5142
#64 Posted: 07:46:17 30/01/2014
Quote: CommanderGame

Don't get a big head, Canada. I've got the President of India on speed dial.

Sorry, i can't heart you over my FREE HEALTHCARE

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my being THIRD MOST LIVABLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

Sorry, I can't hear you over my FREE HEALTHCARE and SECOND MOST LIVEABLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.
---
self professed austGAYlian
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#65 Posted: 09:31:18 30/01/2014
Quote: sniper52

In terms of economics, the UK is doing FAR worse than we are.

it's still the 6th biggest economy in the world
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#66 Posted: 10:27:43 30/01/2014
fun fact- America isn't the only place with ****ty education
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#67 Posted: 15:50:56 30/01/2014
The thing about America is that education is widely seen as a "States rights" issue. Yeah, we have the federal Department of Education, but most states choose to set their own regulations. For example, to graduate high school in Montana, I needed 4 years of math, sciences (including biology, chemistry, and physics), and English, but only 3 years of history (including 1 year of American history). I know those numbers are different for other states. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
LegendaryFlames Emerald Sparx Gems: 3791
#68 Posted: 15:58:08 30/01/2014
Quote: Sesshomaru75
**** Canada.

Damn you!

STOP GOING ON ABOUT HOW CANADA IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE, IT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL.
---
smilie@Jetbytes everywhere elsesmilie
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#69 Posted: 23:49:35 30/01/2014
That feel when your country has the best educational system in the world.
That feel when it's also completely free (minus the taxation, of course).

Keep hammering those ancient superstitions into your children's heads, America.
paddyfitz Gold Sparx Gems: 2242
#70 Posted: 00:20:36 31/01/2014
Quote: CommanderGame

Don't get a big head, Canada. I've got the President of India on speed dial.

Sorry, i can't heart you over my FREE HEALTHCARE

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my being THIRD MOST LIVABLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

Sorry, I can't hear you over my TEA AND CRUMPETS
---
Black lives matter, love is love, trans men are men and trans women are women!!!
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#71 Posted: 01:34:48 31/01/2014
*insert witty comment here*
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#72 Posted: 01:35:55 31/01/2014
Quote: AvatariDragon

dat wit :0
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#73 Posted: 01:42:40 31/01/2014
Quote: AvatariDragon

dat wit :0

Another joke stolen.
#74 Posted: 06:08:15 01/02/2014 | Topic Creator

But if you only do what you're good at, what comes easily to you, and you never challenge yourself, then how do you expect to succeed in the real world?

It's not about whether you're going to use it or not. It's about overcoming your weaknesses and learning to not give up.
#75 Posted: 06:25:38 01/02/2014

But if you only do what you're good at, what comes easily to you, and you never challenge yourself, then how do you expect to succeed in the real world?

It's not about whether you're going to use it or not. It's about overcoming your weaknesses and learning to not give up.

It's not about just doing what comes easily to you tho. It's about challenging yourself in things you want to challenge yourself in. Everyone has weaknesses in their own respective fields of expertise, and surely it would make more sense for an aspiring artist to challenge themselves to improve say their human anatomy than to challenge them to solve a quadratic equation.

The non academic subjects are just as challenging in the system as the academic ones. That's literally the whole point of having the system in the first place. If you say that you take visual art here, you don't get the typical "ow wow that must be an easy subject" remarks, you get "oh god that's so much work do you have no life?" For some people subjects like maths come easily to them, so are you saying that them taking maths means they're never challenging themselves? With your logic they should be taking art subjects because they aren't challenging themselves.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
#76 Posted: 14:13:22 01/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Ah, I see. Nevermind then.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me