Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
The Irony [CLOSED]
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#1 Posted: 02:43:00 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Most of the users here on darkSpyro are, let's face it, social outcasts. (I include myself with that crowd) It wasn't our love of video games that built us this utopia, but rather our desire to create a society of our own, where we can be accepted and don't have the conform to society's cruel expectations.

But that's where the irony comes in. We all wish for a place where anyone can be accepted with no conformation necessary, but here on darkSpyro, you all expect someone to CONFORM. You expect people to always respect opinions without opposition, to not discuss personal beliefs, and all that other crap, simply for the fear of offending someone. A prime example of this is yesterday with that "Gooby" character (false alarm but a wake-up call). If that's not social conformation, I don't know what is.

Don't you see? We've become the very thing we set out to escape from, just like the Puritans. Think about this for a moment before replying to this topic.

(And before anyone gets butthurt, notice that I said MOST and not all)
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8495
#2 Posted: 02:46:49 02/01/2014
This place is also filled selfish people who want attention.
wakapro77 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#3 Posted: 02:47:57 02/01/2014
i am a talking dog
---
hence, the yiffening shall come

I submit my art on my tumblr. PM me for the link.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#4 Posted: 02:49:38 02/01/2014
hello i stopped playing vidya just to tell you to stop crawling in your skin and shut up
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#5 Posted: 02:51:30 02/01/2014
HES IN TOO DEEP
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#6 Posted: 02:51:38 02/01/2014
social anything often eventually becomes cliquey, human behaviour. it's hard to avoid and even harder to fix, but making the impact less is another option that barely anyone thinks about.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:52:17 02/01/2014 by Wild
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6632
#7 Posted: 02:52:54 02/01/2014
But I like it better here than being social D:
---
Gay 4 GARcher
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#8 Posted: 02:53:08 02/01/2014
Quote: wakapro77
i am a talking dog

omg then I must be a meowing cat.

*runs away*
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#9 Posted: 02:54:27 02/01/2014
[User Posted Image]

the more you know
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#10 Posted: 02:56:18 02/01/2014
I understand what you're saying, but there is not much much anyone can do about it. We're all humans (I'll use the term loosely), and humans have one flaw that no other animal has, being emotional. Animals don't feel hatred towards others or feel sad when someone they know dies, the ones that "kill" do so for simple reasons, and they never had wars. Because we have emotions, is what sets us apart from them. Albeit for the worse. We feel, and that is why there can never, truly, be peace within humanity, much less even on a website.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#11 Posted: 02:56:40 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: DragonCamo

Don't you see? This IS being social. Honestly, however, this is even worse than being in one of those cliquey groups because we don't even SEE people and yet we still judge them.
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6632
#12 Posted: 02:59:55 02/01/2014
Quote: Metallo

Don't you see? This IS being social. Honestly, however, this is even worse than being in one of those cliquey groups because we don't even SEE people and yet we still judge them.

True.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#13 Posted: 03:01:06 02/01/2014

i am a TALKING DOG
---

wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#14 Posted: 03:04:54 02/01/2014

i am a TALKING DOG

No you're not!
Dogs can't type!
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#15 Posted: 03:07:48 02/01/2014
Quote: kardonis
I understand what you're saying, but there is not much much anyone can do about it. We're all humans (I'll use the term loosely), and humans have one flaw that no other animal has, being emotional. Animals don't feel hatred towards others or feel sad when someone they know dies, the ones that "kill" do so for simple reasons, and they never had wars. Because we have emotions, is what sets us apart from them. Albeit for the worse. We feel, and that is why there can never, truly, be peace within humanity, much less even on a website.

I'm going to guess that you never had a dog before.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#16 Posted: 03:08:40 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pixilism
We're all humans (I'll use the term loosely), and humans have one flaw that no other animal has, being emotional. Animals don't feel hatred towards others or feel sad when someone they know dies, the ones that "kill" do so for simple reasons, and they never had wars. Because we have emotions, is what sets us apart from them.

are you stupid

This.

Animals also masturbate out of pure boredom.
#17 Posted: 03:13:16 02/01/2014

We all wish for a place where anyone can be accepted with no conformation necessary, but here on darkSpyro, you all expect someone to CONFORM. You expect people to always respect opinions without opposition, to not discuss personal beliefs, and all that other crap, simply for the fear of offending someone.

What? Oh, that's right, you can complain that people don't respect opinions when you, and everyone else, is guilty of doing THE VERY SAME. That's the irony people.
---
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 8963
#18 Posted: 03:16:22 02/01/2014
*sits in the corner eating Hot Pockets*
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
#19 Posted: 03:16:36 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator

We all wish for a place where anyone can be accepted with no conformation necessary, but here on darkSpyro, you all expect someone to CONFORM. You expect people to always respect opinions without opposition, to not discuss personal beliefs, and all that other crap, simply for the fear of offending someone.

What? Oh, that's right, you can complain that people don't respect opinions when you, and everyone else, is guilty of doing THE VERY SAME. That's the irony people.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm guilty, too, I'm not perfect.

But saying that animals don't have emotions is not even an opinion, you're just going against a fact.
#20 Posted: 03:22:06 02/01/2014
Aha, but if it's my opinion that animals have no emotions then it doesn't matter whether I'm right or wrong. But I'll have you know that I just wrote that to see how many people would come back with hateful responses, and so I could essentially prove your point.
---
#21 Posted: 03:29:22 02/01/2014
Aha, but if it's my opinion that animals have no emotions then it doesn't matter whether I'm right or wrong. But I'll have you know that I just wrote that to see how many people would come back with hateful responses, and so I could essentially prove your point.

Well no one is prefect. But you have to be careful on how you say and what you're talking. People can take it really really hard. Not everyone is the same with the "Oh okay that's your thought on that." on that subject. It's just common sense to be careful on what you say and how you say it.

(Edit note: me and my typing errors e.e)
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:43:05 02/01/2014 by Trix Master 100
#22 Posted: 03:33:22 02/01/2014
Yeah, I get that, as I said before, I was just using that "opinion" to state a point. I don't actually think that, and if anyone took offence to me writing that then I'm sorry.
---
#23 Posted: 03:35:57 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator

But it's NOT an opinion; it's an incorrect fact. It's been scientifically proven that animals DO have emotions, so you saying that is like saying that the Sun revolves around the Earth.
#24 Posted: 03:39:11 02/01/2014
i am a talking dog
---

Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#25 Posted: 03:40:13 02/01/2014
i am a TALKING DOG

i can smell you
#26 Posted: 03:52:18 02/01/2014
Quote: Kitty
i am a TALKING DOG

i can smell you

hi c:
---

cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#27 Posted: 03:58:01 02/01/2014

(Bold) Actually, that is false.
We had two dogs before, one of them died, and ever since then our youngest dog has been very depressed about it.
She's gotten over it mostly, but we can tell she still misses our old dog very much.....
------
This topic makes a good point.
I don't have much to add, except that people need to stop acting like the very society they seek to escape...
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#28 Posted: 04:47:16 02/01/2014
I'm not sure if I got your post right, but I'll bite.
I guess I'm not "most people", since I pretty much was yelling the living daylight out of Gooby, so, um, yeah.
Also, I did join for Skylanders, and even though I frequent darkSpyro Utopia, I still have a social life and friends ._____________.
(imayhavegottenyourpostwrongsorry)
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#29 Posted: 04:58:49 02/01/2014
Preach!
---
#hu
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#30 Posted: 05:00:25 02/01/2014

have you ever stepped on a cat's tail
#31 Posted: 05:03:56 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Big Green

have you ever stepped on a cat's tail

Until you've stepped on a cat's tail, you do not know anger....
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7752
#32 Posted: 05:19:35 02/01/2014
Quote: wspyro

i am a TALKING DOG

No you're not!
Dogs can't type!

Talking dogs can you ding dong
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#33 Posted: 06:31:36 02/01/2014
Yeah, I get that, as I said before, I was just using that "opinion" to state a point. I don't actually think that, and if anyone took offence to me writing that then I'm sorry.

here's a picture of a cow crying.

[User Posted Image]

animals don't have emotions obviously.

And apology accepted.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:32:18 02/01/2014 by MoonHorizons
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#34 Posted: 16:02:53 02/01/2014
Better here than in real life.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#35 Posted: 16:06:44 02/01/2014
Quote: DummyZ
Better here than in real life.

- - -
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#36 Posted: 16:28:54 02/01/2014
Sounds exactly right.
SoulFly Emerald Sparx Gems: 4660
#37 Posted: 16:52:33 02/01/2014
Opinion based on true information is a acceptable opinion. Opinions that are different fill missing information with their own beliefs.
As example, some believe cosmos is infinite, while others believe it is looping or there is an end to it.
If I am wrong, please inform me. So I may fix my opinion.
---
Ligi
#38 Posted: 17:46:26 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: SoulFly
Opinion based on true information is a acceptable opinion. Opinions that are different fill missing information with their own beliefs.
As example, some believe cosmos is infinite, while others believe it is looping or there is an end to it.

Fact: Can be scientifically or methodically proven to be true or false.
Examples: Apples can be red. Dogs and wolves are related. The Earth revolves around the Sun.

Opinion: Someone's personal view on something.
Examples: Apples taste good. Dogs and wolves are scary. The Sun is pretty.

Saying something like "Animals don't have emotions" is not an opinion, because it assumes a solid characteristic of a general category, and it denies absolute fact. Opinions don't assume characteristics, they just take a personal view on an object. Therefore, it's not even an opinion anymore, it's just an incorrect fact.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:47:23 02/01/2014 by Metallo
#39 Posted: 17:50:03 02/01/2014

Examples: Apples can be red. Dogs and wolves are related. The Earth revolves around the Sun.

Saying something like "Animals don't have emotions" is not an opinion, because it assumes a solid characteristic of a general category, and it denies absolute fact. Opinions don't assume characteristics, they just take a personal view on an object. Therefore, it's not even an opinion anymore, it's just an incorrect fact.

what are you even talking about.

incorrect fact???

what???

Do you even know how to string words together and use them?
---

#40 Posted: 17:56:14 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator

incorrect fact???

what???

The definition of fact means it can be proven to be true OR false. So even if something is false, it's still technically a fact. I know I used an oxymoron there, but just bear with me, I cannot brain today.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#41 Posted: 21:58:37 02/01/2014
You're basically assuming things now. It seems highly unlikely that most of the users here joined the site to seek an escape from social expectations. This place isn't an outlet for anxiety, and it's never been commonly treated as such.

Also, most of the active users here are about 13 or younger, so I'm not sure if the term "social outcast" can apply here. Kids don't really socialize like teens/young adults do.

I think most of us joined darkSpyro because we simply wanted to be a visible part of the fandom instead of lurking. I know that's why I joined.
#42 Posted: 22:11:40 02/01/2014

incorrect fact???

what???

The definition of fact means it can be proven to be true OR false. So even if something is false, it's still technically a fact. I know I used an oxymoron there, but just bear with me, I cannot brain today.

Fact means it's been proven to be true. Theory means it's not been proven and there for can be either True OR False.

Allow to give examples.

Fact: Sonic is a blue hedgehog who's fast.

Fact: Sonic is both a Video game character and a Comic book character.

Theory: Anti-verse characters are basically the same as the Prime characters there for they are not characters?

Theory: Shadow is the father of Silver

Basically Theory is **** people think and make up without any canon evidence. Fact is things that are true, have plenty of evidence, and are never incorrect.
---
icon from Empoh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:22:39 02/01/2014 by Trix Master 100
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#43 Posted: 22:17:47 02/01/2014
When you get a group of people together they will form some sort of standard or general consensus on some subjects or matter. The same applies to "social rejects" getting together. Many of them will hold similar thoughts and treat other thoughts as unknown or even unacceptable. Over time this does end up seeming like a clique, and as if to be a part of the clique you must conform to particular thoughts or opinions, or else be shunned.

Metallo isn't completely wrong. dS members (including myself) do have a problem with this. We have a nasty habit of shunning or looking down on new members, or anybody that may disagree with what we generally believe. The biggest example I can think of is how a majority of us on this site would be considered liberals, and we often have a habit of not simply disagreeing but even laughing or getting angry at ideals that come from the opposite side of the spectrum. We get bothered when someone supports a Republican, or when they don't agree with gay marriage or abortion. Hell, the moment religion is mentioned some of us have a habit of treating it like a crime. This is not exclusive to dS and of course we've all had experience of this sort of thing happening elsewhere.

And while many of us may have joined dS to talk about Spyro/Skylanders, a big reason why we stay (or come back) is to interact with the people on here. You develop a bond with some users that make it difficult to just go away.

HOWEVER

1. Metallo is wrong for assuming that everybody on this site is a social outcast. Just because we go on the computer doesn't mean we can never spend our time elsewhere.

2. "Incorrect fact" is an oxymoron and doesn't exist. And admitting it's an oxymoron doesn't make it any less of an oxymoron you oxy-moron.

3. Animals do have emotion. The question is to what extent and how they express it.

Excuse me for getting derailed at any point.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#44 Posted: 22:55:18 02/01/2014
Most of the users here on darkSpyro are, let's face it, social outcasts.

Speak for yourself.

It wasn't our love of video games that built us this utopia, but rather our desire to create a society of our own, where we can be accepted and don't have the conform to society's cruel expectations.

But that's where the irony comes in. We all wish for a place where anyone can be accepted with no conformation necessary, but here on darkSpyro, you all expect someone to CONFORM. You expect people to always respect opinions without opposition, to not discuss personal beliefs, and all that other crap, simply for the fear of offending someone. A prime example of this is yesterday with that "Gooby" character (false alarm but a wake-up call). If that's not social conformation, I don't know what is.

Don't you see? We've become the very thing we set out to escape from, just like the Puritans. Think about this for a moment before replying to this topic.

(And before anyone gets butthurt, notice that I said MOST and not all)

Okay... There's a very simple thing to take from this. You are thinking far too much into it. People come on here not to "create a society of our own", but because we are people who share (for the most part) common ground being fans of a particular series. That's it. We all have a common interest, we all like to talk about it with other people who share that common interest. Simple as that.
#45 Posted: 22:58:50 02/01/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CAV
1. Metallo is wrong for assuming that everybody on this site is a social outcast. Just because we go on the computer doesn't mean we can never spend our time elsewhere.

I didn't say everybody. I said MOST.

Don't call me an oxy-moron, I bathe in Oxi-Clean. It removes the Oxy-Mornity.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#46 Posted: 23:28:04 02/01/2014
Quote: bionicle2809
Okay... There's a very simple thing to take from this. You are thinking far too much into it. People come on here not to "create a society of our own", but because we are people who share (for the most part) common ground being fans of a particular series. That's it. We all have a common interest, we all like to talk about it with other people who share that common interest. Simple as that.

That's how it starts, yes. But after a while you will have discussed just about everything you could have about the main subject and you can leave and go on your merry way to somewhere else. There are several people here that aren't here for Spyro or Skylanders much anymore, but stay here for the friends they've made. Nobody came in with the desire of creating a new form of society, but you can't really deny that this site and the members in it are a community of people that came here with similar interests but stick around for so much more.

And with that in mind I think it's perfectly fine for someone to make observations about the community. It's not thinking too far into it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:29:03 02/01/2014 by CAV
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me