Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > How to prove to people that you're not as mean spirited as you seem (IRL)?
Page 1 of 1
How to prove to people that you're not as mean spirited as you seem (IRL)? [CLOSED]
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#1 Posted: 23:38:48 22/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Since it has been evidenced to me, by certain people (whom I have to work with often), that they have a pretty bad impression of me, and have misinterpreted greatly, I would like to know, how would you prove or get people convinced that you're not as bad as you seem?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:44:35 22/12/2013 by Mrmorrises
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#2 Posted: 23:39:42 22/12/2013
Do not try to shower them with gifts of any kind, they will think you are just trying to buy them back.
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
#3 Posted: 23:40:34 22/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: hardcoreignitor
Do not try to shower them with gifts of any kind, they will think you are just trying to buy them back.

I kinda knew that doesn't work.
Sky Airglow Yellow Sparx Gems: 1136
#4 Posted: 23:41:48 22/12/2013
Do something kind or help another person. smilie

IDK...? People don't see me as mean-spirited, so I'm not sure how to help...
Ash Starkindle Gold Sparx Gems: 2625
#5 Posted: 23:49:55 22/12/2013
Hm.... There are many ways. Just a few*:

• Random acts of kindness.
• Help younger people with some shiz.
• Offer schoolwork/homework help to anyone who needs it.
Bottom line: Just be really really REALLY nice.

These could work, and the people could change their opinions of you.
Before you say anything, eventually word will spread to said people and they could be like, "Wow. *insertnamehere* is nicer than we thought."

* Note: This is sixth-grader knowledge. It probably won't always work with older grades. I've tried these, and they've all worked. Many peeps changed their opinion of me because of these.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#6 Posted: 23:54:46 22/12/2013
Simply don't listen to them. Many people make, either on purpose or unintentionally, inaccurate impressions on other people. Eh. Plus, nobody's perfect, they will have their days when they have a mean spirit themselves.

As long as the people who mean to you know who you really are, that's all that matters, I guess. Or do those people mean to you?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:56:00 22/12/2013 by DummyZ
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8480
#7 Posted: 23:59:55 22/12/2013
I donate to Toys For Tots.
#8 Posted: 00:04:03 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Ash Starkindle
Hm.... There are many ways. Just a few*:

• Random acts of kindness.
• Help younger people with some shiz.
• Offer schoolwork/homework help to anyone who needs it.
Bottom line: Just be really really REALLY nice.

These could work, and the people could change their opinions of you.
Before you say anything, eventually word will spread to said people and they could be like, "Wow. *insertnamehere* is nicer than we thought."

* Note: This is sixth-grader knowledge. It probably won't always work with older grades. I've tried these, and they've all worked. Many peeps changed their opinion of me because of these.

I like your advice, Ash, except here I'm a bit hesitant to start randomly acting kind to someone (if I can even think of what to do) because of how it might come off to them. Maybe they'd just be creeped out. The most I've done is hold doors open for some of them.

Quote: DummyZ
Simply don't listen to them. Many people make, either on purpose or unintentionally, inaccurate impressions on other people. Eh. Plus, nobody's perfect, they will have their days when they have a mean spirit themselves.

As long as the people who mean to you know who you really are, that's all that matters, I guess. Or do those people mean to you?

Well, kind of. They're some of the people at our school's theater company. I'm not working with them now, but in the future I'll probably be working with them on a weekly basis. Some of them really like me, and believe that those who think I'm an asshole are misinterpreting me. Some just seem to be a bit appalled by me. One douchebag was telling me that I offend the **** out of everyone, and that I am horribly ignorant and have no empathy. But yes, these people do mean something to me considering I will be working with them very often in the future.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#9 Posted: 00:14:42 23/12/2013
Quote: Mrmorrises
Well, kind of. They're some of the people at our school's theater company. I'm not working with them now, but in the future I'll probably be working with them on a weekly basis. Some of them really like me, and believe that those who think I'm an asshole are misinterpreting me. Some just seem to be a bit appalled by me. One douchebag was telling me that I offend the **** out of everyone, and that I am horribly ignorant and have no empathy. But yes, these people do mean something to me considering I will be working with them very often in the future.

Just because you're gonna work with them doesn't necessarily mean they will mean something to you. *shrug* But hey, If they actually do, I'm not gonna be a stick in the mud.

I believe one can't just change a person's own self just like that. If you are being yourself, you must stay that way. They must not be the ones to change you. They are only seeing something different through their own eyes. I'd say you just keep the same until they realize they were wrong. Though if you find a way that can help improve the situation, feel free to use it.
Ash Starkindle Gold Sparx Gems: 2625
#10 Posted: 00:17:00 23/12/2013
Ah, okay. Well, that's a good start. When doing random acts of kindness, don't do anything MAJOR. Just helping out a little bit without expecting anything in return can count too. Like, if anyone needs help with anything. Eventually word will spread, and the peeps are likely to change their opinion of you. The chances of opinions changing could be more likely if you're really nice to everyone, not just said people.
#11 Posted: 00:26:23 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: DummyZ

Just because you're gonna work with them doesn't necessarily mean they will mean something to you. *shrug* But hey, If they actually do, I'm not gonna be a stick in the mud.

I believe one can't just change a person's own self just like that. If you are being yourself, you must stay that way. They must not be the ones to change you. They are only seeing something different through their own eyes. I'd say you just keep the same until they realize they were wrong. Though if you find a way that can help improve the situation, feel free to use it.

I guess I know what you mean, people have co-workers that they don't get along with. At our school, however, our theater company and casts are supposed to, and are cracked up to be like a "family" in which everyone loves each other and gets along, united by our common interest in theater. There were a few anticlimaxes in which people were offended by me, and a few started falsely thinking that I was a bit of douchebag. I want theater experience to be a positive memory, rather than a bad one, so I'd like to start by getting people to realize I'm not so bad after all.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#12 Posted: 00:34:05 23/12/2013
Smile, a lot. A LEGIT smile too.

harvest moon lied to me? ;A;
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#13 Posted: 00:40:08 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: parisruelz12

That's actually some very good advice, Paris smilie I try doing it when I talk to people a lot,(shows cheerfulness) although there are some times when doing it might come off as awkward, like when walking down the hallways, or standing alone.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#14 Posted: 02:25:01 23/12/2013

That's actually some very good advice, Paris smilie I try doing it when I talk to people a lot,(shows cheerfulness) although there are some times when doing it might come off as awkward, like when walking down the hallways, or standing alone.

If people think you're in a good mood, they'll approach you.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#15 Posted: 02:32:56 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator

If people think you're in a good mood, they'll approach you.

Usually. Although sometimes they can just find it awkward.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#16 Posted: 04:00:43 23/12/2013
Since it has been evidenced to me, by certain people (whom I have to work with often), that they have a pretty bad impression of me, and have misinterpreted greatly, I would like to know, how would you prove or get people convinced that you're not as bad as you seem?

Invite them to a meal or something and try to strike up some sort of casual conversation? Alternatively, prove to them you're kindhearted with some sort of act of charity. The other option (and probably the unhealthy one) would be to just stop speaking up around them and keep to yourself. That way, you don't run the risk of saying anything that can be interpreted as "mean-spirited."

As a general rule of thumb, try to do/use less of all of the following:
-Sarcasm
-Snarky responses
-Passive-aggressive comments
-Condescension
-Whining or complaining
-Talking about coworkers behind their backs, even if others do
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#17 Posted: 05:28:49 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR

Invite them to a meal or something and try to strike up some sort of casual conversation? Alternatively, prove to them you're kindhearted with some sort of act of charity. The other option (and probably the unhealthy one) would be to just stop speaking up around them and keep to yourself. That way, you don't run the risk of saying anything that can be interpreted as "mean-spirited."

As a general rule of thumb, try to do/use less of all of the following:
-Sarcasm
-Snarky responses
-Passive-aggressive comments
-Condescension
-Whining or complaining
-Talking about coworkers behind their backs, even if others do

Inviting them to a meal sounds a little bit far, in that 1. They might get confused at first 2. They might misinterpret it and think that I'm asking them out or something like that 3. They might get creeped out ("Why are they suddenly inviting me to a meal?" Starting conversations more often sounds like some good advice, I'll try to do that more often. The only thing you listed to avoid that I do often is sarcasm, which could be hard to cut down on, because sarcasm pretty much runs through my veins IRL, but I'll try.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#18 Posted: 10:43:12 23/12/2013
Well I'm definitely not "mean-spirited" in real life.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#19 Posted: 15:27:46 23/12/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Well I'm definitely not "mean-spirited" in real life.

I'm not either, people just misinterpret me all the time.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me