Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The Anti-Muffins Club [CLOSED]
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 11:16:51 13/12/2013 | Topic Creator
So, a little backstory...

Back when I was in college, right before Harry Potter got *huge* (about two months before the fourth book came out), I had heard a little about them and thought I'd give 'em a read. I really enjoyed them and I was finishing up the third one in the college library when a young lady from one of my classes sat near me and noticed I was reading Harry Potter. She considered herself a huge fan and we started talking about the fourth book (I knew nothing about it, except that it was due out) and other favorite books of ours.

Two of my all-time favorite books have always been Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Peter and Wendy. She asked about "A Wrinkle in Time". I'd never heard of it... she was shocked - apparently, this book was like required reading in school when she was younger. Since I was at the end of the book I was in now (and there was a month to go before the next one was to be released), she *insisted* that I read "A Wrinkle In Time."

I did. And I LOVED it. It is seriously an amazing book.

Anywhoo - fast forward a few month later and I was browsing book at Target when I saw another book ("Dragons in the Waters") by the same author (The spectacularly wonderful Madeline L'Engle). I picked it up and read through it... at some point while reading it, I realized "Hey... these are the kids of Meg and Calvin!" (which are two of the main characters in "A Wrinkle In Time", for those who haven't read it). I thought this was neat, so I figured I'd see what else she had written. Now, some of the younger folks on here might not be able to really grasp this idea, but back in just 2000, less than 50% of all homes had any kind of internet access. Back then, you didn't have smartphones, or even cell phones, for the most part. I did have a computer at home (we got our first "real" computer in '95) so between home and the college library (which didn't even have a full-fledged general-usage computer lab the first year I was there!), so I was able to search (we didn't "Google" things back then. Infoseek was my search engine of choice), but finding good sources of information was hard to do (no Wikipeida either. Who remembers the various Encyclopedias on CD, with cool 360-Degree Photo that you could pan and zoom to see various famous buildings and such?). Anyway, I eventually discovered that L'Engle wrote TONS of books. And I had to read them ALL! (Even Ilsa, which remains one of my favorite books to this day and I do so wish I could find a good, affordable copy of it!).

With all of that said, there's the Anti-Muffins. In L'Engle's Austin Family series of books, some of the kids get together and create a "club" of anti-muffins - folks who are against snobbery and conformity and overall jerkishness. "Muffins" being folks who all look the same on the outside and are dry on the inside. This was pretty controversial at the time and the chapter that dealt with this was actually removed from the initial printings of the book it was in.

So, don't be a muffin!
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7763
#2 Posted: 11:43:59 13/12/2013
tl;dr
y do u hate muffins
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#3 Posted: 13:21:00 13/12/2013
You already are a guy who gets no muffin baskets.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#4 Posted: 14:45:01 13/12/2013
[User Posted Image]
Why don't you like muffins? - Derpy Hooves
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#5 Posted: 14:49:03 13/12/2013
racism towards muffins
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#6 Posted: 17:08:19 13/12/2013
*throws muffins*
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6093
#7 Posted: 17:39:40 13/12/2013
So muffins are boring people? (Yes, i actually read that wall of text)

Well, good thing I'm on the list of no muffins.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#8 Posted: 19:08:14 13/12/2013
for a moment i thought it saidthe anti muslim club
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:12:43 13/12/2013 by aran
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#9 Posted: 19:32:42 13/12/2013 | Topic Creator
lol... That would bring the topic in the complete wrong direction.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me