Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Check this out: SSA Crystal Whirlwind [CLOSED]
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#1 Posted: 01:38:29 04/11/2013 | Topic Creator
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com...Id=321242211345

I wonder where this came from.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
portalflip Blue Sparx Gems: 728
#2 Posted: 01:44:29 04/11/2013
Shipping from Los Angeles which i where Activision HQ is located. It's very possible it was produced in extremely small number and given out only to higher ups there. If it's a fake it's a well produced one.
Kung Fu Man Gold Sparx Gems: 2120
#3 Posted: 01:53:14 04/11/2013
Probably was meant to be part of the 'second' crystal trinity alongside Prism Break and Stump Smash.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:03:11 04/11/2013 by Kung Fu Man
#4 Posted: 02:17:43 04/11/2013
Well we'll find out if it's fake or not soon...and Legendary Night Shift/Zoo Lou are going to wait for awhile.

...what? It was right *there*.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#5 Posted: 14:09:44 04/11/2013
I'm flabbergasted that the guy didn't put it for bidding.. smilie
He could've sold it for MUCH, MUCH more.

This is amazing. I really want one. Could it be a Japan exclusive?
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
largemarge133 Green Sparx Gems: 252
#6 Posted: 14:22:47 04/11/2013
Wow that's cool...
cbunny84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1403
#7 Posted: 14:27:17 04/11/2013
*eyes sparkle* ooooooh. Me want. She looks like an ice sculpture.
---
new edition: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#8 Posted: 14:41:49 04/11/2013
By the way; I was the one who bought it. smilie

Kidding, but I totally would've. For that price, even. But, as always, it was posted at a bad time. Darn it, school. smilie

Can someone post the actual photos? They don't come up on my browser.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:45:41 04/11/2013 by Matteomax
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#9 Posted: 14:45:50 04/11/2013
If it was a Japan exclusive, wouldn't it have Japanese writing instead of English writing?
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#10 Posted: 14:49:58 04/11/2013
Quote: BahamutBreaker
If it was a Japan exclusive, wouldn't it have Japanese writing instead of English writing?

It could've been used as an example, I guess.

Either way, I don't think that this is a released figure. eBay would've had at least 3 or 4 more up.
---
#11 Posted: 14:58:17 04/11/2013
You're probably right about that. Maybe it was a test item that didn't "pass" when Activision released the "crystal" Wham-Shell, Stealth Elf, and Cynder?

Or maybe it's another one of those "employee exclusive" ones.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#12 Posted: 15:16:51 04/11/2013
You're probably right about that. Maybe it was a test item that didn't "pass" when Activision released the "crystal" Wham-Shell, Stealth Elf, and Cynder?

Same probably happened with Stump Smash and Prism Break.

I hope it's employee exclusive, or it shows up for that price again.

My limit would be about $300 for her, if it's one of a kind.
---
Sivadreamer Gold Sparx Gems: 2821
#13 Posted: 15:40:04 04/11/2013
With the (current) rarity of this figure, I'd be willing to bet its price would've been limitless. I'd personally have paid $500
---
How many crystals should I buy VS how many will I buy!?
#14 Posted: 15:42:29 04/11/2013
To each, his/her own ... but even though I really love Skylanders, I can not imagine paying $300 to $500 for a single Skylanders item, no matter how beautiful or rare it might be.
---
#15 Posted: 15:48:02 04/11/2013
To each, his/her own ... but even though I really love Skylanders, I can not imagine paying $300 to $500 for a single Skylanders item, no matter how beautiful or rare it might be.

There's always the chance of reselling it for a higher value.
---
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#16 Posted: 15:51:52 04/11/2013
I just hope it's in the hands of someone who actually will take care of it and enjoy it.

Huge idontknowwethertolaughorcry when we find out a scalper who had no intention besides reselling it bought it and puts it up for $400, and of course someone will actually buy it for that price.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:52:29 04/11/2013 by Arc of Archives
WhoAreYou007 Blue Sparx Gems: 546
#17 Posted: 16:02:58 04/11/2013
Quote: Matteomax

Fortunately for you, I would think there will be more of these popping up. My instinct tells me this is a re-release (of series 1 whirlwind) and this person is just the first to list it online.

An honest question here; has there ever been a "one of a kind" figure that was made for production (in packaging)? I know there have been a few prototype figures but they were not in the packaging. That is the main thing that makes me think you'll see more of these. We usually don't end up hearing about why they were made until a few go through ebay.

Hopefully I am right.
---
Have: Silver Dino-Rang (Loose)
Want: Pearl Hex, White Flocked Eruptor
PM Me
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#18 Posted: 16:09:27 04/11/2013
Quote: WhoAreYou007

Fortunately for you, I would think there will be more of these popping up. My instinct tells me this is a re-release (of series 1 whirlwind) and this person is just the first to list it online.

An honest question here; has there ever been a "one of a kind" figure that was made for production (in packaging)? I know there have been a few prototype figures but they were not in the packaging. That is the main thing that makes me think you'll see more of these. We usually don't end up hearing about why they were made until a few go through ebay.

Hopefully I am right.

Rather than speculating, which one of you is going to ask the seller the question???
#19 Posted: 16:53:01 04/11/2013 | Topic Creator
Why would they re-release an SSA figure in SSA packaging? And a crystal version at that?
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#20 Posted: 17:34:33 04/11/2013
Quote: czs716
Why would they re-release an SSA figure in SSA packaging? And a crystal version at that?

A re-release of a SSA figure is entirely plausible (Dino-Rang), but I agree that a crystal version would not be in the marketing plans for a wide release unless the company is in a desperate bind (maybe a little bit down the road when Skylanders really starts losing relevance).
jet-vac6000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1718
#21 Posted: 18:57:15 04/11/2013
Oh. I guess I'll put it next to my Gold Warnado and Series 2 Wicked Thumpback...
---
Eggs
#22 Posted: 19:20:14 04/11/2013
Quote: jet-vac6000
Oh. I guess I'll put it next to my Gold Warnado and Series 2 Wicked Thumpback...

Those were obviously fake; this could actually be real, y'know?
---
jet-vac6000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1718
#23 Posted: 19:27:05 04/11/2013
I'm gonna wait for Official Confirmation though...
BUT it does look pretty COOL
Geddit?
Cool-Because it looks like ic-*Shot*
---
Eggs
#24 Posted: 20:20:47 04/11/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: mastermc54

A re-release of a SSA figure is entirely plausible (Dino-Rang), but I agree that a crystal version would not be in the marketing plans for a wide release unless the company is in a desperate bind (maybe a little bit down the road when Skylanders really starts losing relevance).

I wasn't questioning the re-release specifically, I was questioning the packaging. Isn't Dino Rang being repackaged into SF packaging?
---
IWHBYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1274
#25 Posted: 20:23:19 04/11/2013
I would be willing to bet that it is a prototype that was resealed in a normal Whirlwinds packaging.
---
Latest Purchases: http://i.imgur.com/jD6ExG4.jpg
Owner of every Skylander released including variants all brand new in box.
#26 Posted: 20:37:05 04/11/2013

I wasn't questioning the re-release specifically, I was questioning the packaging. Isn't Dino Rang being repackaged into SF packaging?

No, he's just getting a normal re-release.
---
#27 Posted: 21:32:02 04/11/2013
Sent the guy a few questions about it, just waiting for him to ship it. Seriously none of you figured that out by my post above?
Shroomy_Boomy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1143
#28 Posted: 21:41:43 04/11/2013
WOW this variant is amazing, I would loove to know more official info about this variant for sure!! smilie
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
#29 Posted: 21:47:11 04/11/2013 | Topic Creator

---
#30 Posted: 21:52:54 04/11/2013
Quote: Kung Fu Man
Sent the guy a few questions about it, just waiting for him to ship it. Seriously none of you figured that out by my post above?

Darn you!!!
---
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#31 Posted: 01:48:12 05/11/2013
I wonder if that whirlwind functions in game?
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#32 Posted: 02:01:41 05/11/2013
Looks very cool. When i looked at it this morning before i went to work. It had closed by the time i clicked on the link, hate tiny pic's so i had to blow it up to see it better. I saved the zoomed in image of it, and uploaded to my Photobucket...lol
I like it....here so yal that didn't get to see the larger picture, you can see the zoomed in one i saved.
[User Posted Image]
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
#33 Posted: 02:29:06 05/11/2013
Quote: Failinhearts

If it doesn't someone's got some 'splainin to do. Bugs me a little I can't see but a bit of the green base...if the base is intact and it shows up with the level/gold then we're all good.

You guys might be waiting for awhile, this fellow does appear to take some time to ship things out from what I read. Once it gets here I'll take some pics with Crystal Stump for comparison.
#34 Posted: 02:33:10 05/11/2013
Quote: Failinhearts

If it doesn't someone's got some 'splainin to do. Bugs me a little I can't see but a bit of the green base...if the base is intact and it shows up with the level/gold then we're all good.

You guys might be waiting for awhile, this fellow does appear to take some time to ship things out from what I read. Once it gets here I'll take some pics with Crystal Stump for comparison.

Just out of curiosity why did you buy it? Do you believe it to be an actual legit sealed super rare figure? Did you have ask any questions about the item before you bought it?
---
#35 Posted: 02:43:34 05/11/2013
To be honest because at some point I plan to have a complete collection of Spryo's Adventure and Giants figures on display. With Swap Force killing my drive for new stuff I've mainly turned my attention to finishing up what I missed out on in terms of variants to be able to finally say I 'got em all'.

The chance it's a legit super-rare figure is enough to chance it; I know how eBay works, and read the description thoroughly: it's being advertised as an actual released chase figure mint in package, meaning nothing should be wrong with it. No broken off base or any of that. If I'm wrong, well hey I go through eBay's channels and get my money back. If I'm right, I have a super-rare piece that will indeed be worth the cost to anyone looking to achieve the same thing I am.

The other chase variants? They'll go down eventually. This'll be one of those things that'll become the real unicorn of someone's collection if it's good.
#36 Posted: 02:59:08 05/11/2013
I have no doubt that it is real in the sense that it is a prototype / scrapped figure. But I also believe that it has simply been repackaged in a standard Whirlwinds packaging. How do you plan on validating its authenticity? Also if / when you figure out that it has been repackaged but it is a prototype figure will you want to keep it or return it?
---
#37 Posted: 03:06:17 05/11/2013
Hard to know honestly til I have it in hand. Just knew it was worth trying to get it rather than waiting...the latter being why I have only Crystal Stump and not Clear Prism Break to go with him smilie
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#38 Posted: 04:37:26 05/11/2013
I would like to have a crystal clear...but alas i never found any smilie ....and i don't have $100's of bucks to spend on one skylander. smilie ....but congradz on getting it Kung Fu Man. smilie
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#39 Posted: 05:05:15 05/11/2013

No it seems it will still be in the old packaging.
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
#40 Posted: 11:39:28 05/11/2013
To be honest because at some point I plan to have a complete collection of Spryo's Adventure and Giants figures on display. With Swap Force killing my drive for new stuff I've mainly turned my attention to finishing up what I missed out on in terms of variants to be able to finally say I 'got em all'.

The chance it's a legit super-rare figure is enough to chance it; I know how eBay works, and read the description thoroughly: it's being advertised as an actual released chase figure mint in package, meaning nothing should be wrong with it. No broken off base or any of that. If I'm wrong, well hey I go through eBay's channels and get my money back. If I'm right, I have a super-rare piece that will indeed be worth the cost to anyone looking to achieve the same thing I am.

The other chase variants? They'll go down eventually. This'll be one of those things that'll become the real unicorn of someone's collection if it's good.

I like the way you think!! smilie The only SSA clear chase I have right now is Cynder, but I am also not buying anything Swap Force and am completing my SSA/Giants chase variant collection instead!! (I have invested in Disney Infinity and am SOOOOO loving it way more than Skylanders... the online gameplay and Toybox adds sooo much more replay-ability to the game, I don't regret making the switch at all!!) I like the way you think buddy...!! smilie I'm anxious to see if he has the legit gold/level when you get him, how exciting!!!
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
DluA Gold Sparx Gems: 2392
#41 Posted: 15:54:23 05/11/2013
Hard to know honestly til I have it in hand. Just knew it was worth trying to get it rather than waiting...the latter being why I have only Crystal Stump and not Clear Prism Break to go with him smilie

VERY COOL that you picked this up! Congrats! Guess it goes to show that you never know what unseen figure may still be lurking out there?!

Looks like you simply need a clear PB to complete a clear prototype set. Hmmmm, I wonder where you'd find one of those? smilie
---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
#42 Posted: 16:50:22 05/11/2013
Quote: DluA

VERY COOL that you picked this up! Congrats! Guess it goes to show that you never know what unseen figure may still be lurking out there?!

Looks like you simply need a clear PB to complete a clear prototype set. Hmmmm, I wonder where you'd find one of those? smilie

.....Please tell me more.
---
FloppyKing Green Sparx Gems: 214
#43 Posted: 17:50:50 05/11/2013

There's always the chance of reselling it for a higher value.

Said every beanie baby collector in the 90's... Just can't wait to long for the value to go up before reselling if that's the plan. Skylanders will be just like beanie babies in the fact that a decade from now you'll be able to buy these hunks of plastic for a 50 cents a piece at every local garage sale.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:52:50 05/11/2013 by FloppyKing
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#44 Posted: 18:16:00 05/11/2013
Hey, congrats on getting her! smilie The Ice figures are the coolest variants. Whirlwind would look great. Have fun with her.
#45 Posted: 23:16:10 05/11/2013
I'm not buying that this is real, no matter now much I want it. We would've seen at least 7 or 8 more by now.
---
Sivadreamer Gold Sparx Gems: 2821
#46 Posted: 00:29:31 06/11/2013
Is it possible someone made a mold of the real Whirlwind, then molded this in plastic or glass? I haven't opened my clear figures, but they are plastic right?
---
How many crystals should I buy VS how many will I buy!?
j32bass Yellow Sparx Gems: 1842
#47 Posted: 01:17:22 06/11/2013
Quote: Sivadreamer
Is it possible someone made a mold of the real Whirlwind, then molded this in plastic or glass? I haven't opened my clear figures, but they are plastic right?

This was my first thought. I think I can make one of these and package it if I put a little time into it. At a hobby shop a while back I bought this clear resin and molding kit that hardened like glass or plastic. I made a mold of my one-year-old son's hand when he was sleeping with the kit, then poured the resin in the mold, let it harden, and voila! I had an exact replica of the baby's hand as a Mother's day gift. It looked like glass or clear plastic. I could put a Whirlwind figure in a mold easier than a one-year-olds' hand, and packaging is easy enough if you can find an older one already coming apart and put it in the freezer. It may take a couple tries, but it can be done.
---
Thinkin' 'bout droppin' out.
largemarge133 Green Sparx Gems: 252
#48 Posted: 03:35:20 06/11/2013
I'm a CNC machinist.... I could make these....I have thought about making a aluminum Tree Rex...already talked to Activision about it....they said it would be fine just couldn't sell them...so if he did mold or make him....Activision wouldn't be happy...he would have to list it as a custom figure....or not lol...8-D
DluA Gold Sparx Gems: 2392
#49 Posted: 04:52:11 06/11/2013
I'm not buying that this is real, no matter now much I want it. We would've seen at least 7 or 8 more by now.

While the speculation on whether this is real or not is entertaining to read, does Chris @ TFB still authenticate variants and prototypes such as this? I think it would be quite helpful to contact him if no one has already done so?
---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
#50 Posted: 05:52:07 06/11/2013
Quote: DluA

While the speculation on whether this is real or not is entertaining to read, does Chris @ TFB still authenticate variants and prototypes such as this? I think it would be quite helpful to contact him if no one has already done so?

I think this is a great idea, DluA!! Maybe he will read this topic or someone could PM him to find out?! smilie
---

Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me