darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Upgrading from Wii version of SG to Wii U version. Convert the old save?
Page 1 of 1
Upgrading from Wii version of SG to Wii U version. Convert the old save? [CLOSED]
DarthW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1951
#1 Posted: 15:09:15 21/10/2013 | Topic Creator
I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is a solid "no", but I thought it worth answering, since I could not find the answer elsewhere.

We just got a Wii U and SSF, so I was thinking of picking up a SG Wii U disc only from eBay so that we could play Giants in HD and enjoy the old adventure packs that way. Plus we can take our Wii copy and portal over to grandma's house for use on the Wii there. smilie

I'm still kind of ticked about the developers not keeping content for the old adventure packs in SSF. They could have at least made them unlock something like a unique hat, or heroic challenge, or... SOMETHING... but I digress.

Anyhoo - is there any way to convert or import our Wii version of the save game into the Wii U version or do we just have to go through and unlock all of the hats and winged sapphires, etc, again in the Wii U version?
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#2 Posted: 15:52:03 21/10/2013
I believe there is a way, but I don't know for sure.
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#3 Posted: 19:33:45 21/10/2013
If I had the two versions and consoles I think there's some things I could check... I would look into any way to use the Wii to backup the save game file, back it up to a USB key, then see if I could get the Wii U to restore that save game. The way stuff works on the XBox I've been able to do most of this, so the question is, how hard is it to back up data from the Wii?

Then again, doesn't this kind of increase the replayability? Give you reason to play again, give you a goal to achieve again? smilie
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#4 Posted: 20:49:53 21/10/2013 | Topic Creator
I might need to clarify something.

I already know how to copy a save from one Wii to another or from a Wii to a Wii U via the SD card. If we were going to use the Wii version on the Wii U (which is basically the Wii U running in a Wii compatibility mode), then it would be very simple.

What I'm wanting to know is, if I have a Wii (NOT Wii U) save on the SD card in a Wii U console, is there a way to convert that save so that I can use the never before played Wii U version of Giants and already have all of the in-game content and levels unlocked.

I really don't MIND the idea of having to play through again. I was mostly just curious...
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#5 Posted: 00:03:31 22/10/2013
I understood you well enough. smilie I'm just not sure if the Wii U version of the game can understand the Wii's save game. Another thing I would do is save a game on the Wii U, then use something (a computer if possible) to compare them - in size, filename, and whatever else.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
#6 Posted: 00:19:36 22/10/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: niceguy1
I understood you well enough. smilie

Cool. I guess I just misunderstood your reply. I'll get around to testing this when I find a good deal on a copy of Giants for Wii U. Not in a big hurry, as I am sure that there will be copies around for Eons. (ba-dum).
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#7 Posted: 01:06:27 22/10/2013
You can't do it. They are in no way compatible.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#8 Posted: 14:58:05 22/10/2013 | Topic Creator
That's what I expect to be the case. Thanks. smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me