Page 1 of 1
THIS Bouncer is always Right! [CLOSED]
GaelicWolf Green Sparx Gems: 110
#1 Posted: 23:29:27 19/09/2013 | Topic Creator
So i was recently at my local Target and came across this guy.

https://db.tt/mrQlvEAm

I can't decide if this is a collectors item of a mistake or just an error. What are anyone's thoughts?

The photos are from my dropbox as i am going from my phone and had a devil of a time getting them to work.
---
Own: (smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#2 Posted: 02:54:18 20/09/2013
So basically both of his hands look like a right hand? It's a funny mistake, but I'd be surprised if someone would pay a lot for that kind of thing.

Thanks for sharing, though. Definitely amusing.
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#3 Posted: 03:52:12 20/09/2013
Ummm, this is EXACTLY the kind of production error that skyrockets the value. Not something so minor it could just be personal perception, or slight differences between factories. This is a real, undeniable error.

"if this is a collectors item of a mistake or just an error" - This kind of error is what MAKES it a collector's item. smilie

Stuff that gets messed up usually gets pulled and/or fixed, meaning there's always few of them. I'm reminded of an episode of Big Bang Theory where Leonard was getting rid of his collection, and he referenced a "Geordi LaForge WITHOUT his visor" and everybody else gasped. Similar kind of production/packaging error.

Oh, and kudos on the thread subject, nice! LOL!

Here's an article about some production error coins:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ated-coins.html
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:02:13 20/09/2013 by niceguy1
MegaDozer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1887
#4 Posted: 04:24:41 20/09/2013
his hands shoot off like that in game so Id say its more accurate.
#5 Posted: 11:56:23 20/09/2013
I have dealt with currency collecting before, and I think it's a bit different in that there is history involved in it. The error coins really spark the imaginations of history buffs who'll get to talking about how the coins were struck. I mean, they even grade coins professionally to where a brand new coin can get a lower than perfect rating just because of issues with the striking. There are people who make a living grading currency for collectors! It's kind of insane how worked up people get over coins and paper money. I think currency collecting is on a whole other level.

The value of an error Skylander kind of depends on how interested people are in that sort of factory mistake for a toy, but considering we don't have professional graders for Skylanders yet, I don't know... I mean we don't even know how rare these mistakes are.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 12:27:42 20/09/2013 by Friendzie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 14:04:48 20/09/2013
^There are professional toy graders in regards to packaging condition etc; but the value is intrinsic to the person not the grade.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#7 Posted: 16:41:58 20/09/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster
^There are professional toy graders in regards to packaging condition etc; but the value is intrinsic to the person not the grade.

Well the professionals I'm speaking of are called numismatists and they're so integral to the currency trading hobby that it's incredibly difficult to even sell currency at all without having a professional grade it, preferably a renowned organization like the Paper Money Guaranty or Professional Coin Grading Service. Where possible, they actually have a registry of every known coin and bill so they have a pretty good idea how rare a variation on a coin would be.

On the other hand, it's hard to say how rare a Skylander with a factory defect is because we don't have this kind of data on them. It could be the case that a whole case of Bouncers with two right hands shipped out and we wouldn't know about it right now. So I guess it depends on if there is someone in the community who values weird Skylanders.

By the way, my points about currency grading were just in response to the idea that a defect coin or some such thing could be compared to a Skylander. I'm saying that it's a little different due to the historical nature of those items and the long tradition of numismatics.

EDIT: Does anyone know of someone in this community who DOES collect these sorts of defect Skylanders, because if so we should make sure that person sees this Bouncer. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:45:42 20/09/2013 by Friendzie
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#8 Posted: 05:37:47 24/09/2013
Well, obviously collecting coins is a whole other level of collecting to Skylanders. smilie It was just the first example I could find of something being more valuable because of an error.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me