darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Anything to watch out for switching back and forth 3DS to console?
Page 1 of 1
Anything to watch out for switching back and forth 3DS to console? [CLOSED]
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#1 Posted: 12:33:30 08/09/2013 | Topic Creator
I am new to Skylanders and I am trying to play all the games before Swap Force comes out. Is there anything I need to be wary of when switching characters back and forth between playing the console versions and 3DS versions? The 3DS versions will save your character data when you load them up again. If I load Bash into the 3DS, then take him and level him up on the console, when I bring him back over to the 3DS is there any way the game does anything like leveling him back down, forgetting his skills, saving an older version, etc? Any known issues with this sort of thing? Since the 3DS seems to base skills on something different from what the console does, I would assume it's not an issue, but I am nervous...
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#2 Posted: 12:34:34 08/09/2013
You keep the same level and money.
---
#3 Posted: 13:08:23 08/09/2013 | Topic Creator
It does seem to work just fine... I accidentally just tested it. :-P

I had Double Trouble who I'd played on Giants 3DS at level 6, leveled him to 10 on Spyro's Adventure Wii, then put him back in the 3DS one and the 3DS one seemed to know to keep his level at 10 instead of saving him again at level 6. If you guys are following what I'm saying: it just made me nervous since the 3DS version will only save the character again when you load it up again, so I thought it might "save" the old version. Thankfully this doesn't seem to be the case.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:08:48 08/09/2013 by Friendzie
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#4 Posted: 16:00:02 08/09/2013
NO, smilie bob game the wrong answer

for example: you level up a s2 stealth elf in 3ds up to lv 5 , wen you put her on the console, she'll be lv 1 NO MONEY

you upgrade her up to 3 upgrades in console, with um...4466 money, and put her back in the 3ds

money wont make a difference, since there is no money in 3ds
she'll be upgraded with one attack, and will be placed back at lv1

got it?
#5 Posted: 12:06:57 09/09/2013 | Topic Creator
There is no money in the 3DS version, that's true. I have played the 3DS versions and the level does transfer over and in my test it seemed to update it just fine. I'm going to assume that the 3DS version does do a check to see if the character had been played on another version before deciding whether to replace the save data for the character or simply update it. THe 3DS version really only uses the level of the character so I'm not worried about money or skills being overwritten. I'm sure it would not write over that.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#6 Posted: 12:59:28 09/09/2013
Here's how it goes. Say you have a level 7 Spyro. When you update the figure, and put him in the console game, he will appear with no upgrades and no money, but he will be level 7. If you level him up to level 10 and buy to upgrades, and you get him 1000 coins, he will appear in the 3ds version with him having 10 levels. Nothing more.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#7 Posted: 07:37:49 10/09/2013
Ahhh, but that isn't the question at hand... The QUESTION is what if you progress the figure in the 3DS version, then without updating the figure with the new level use him and upgrade him in the console version? I don't have a 3DS so I dunno.

So, Level 1 Stealth Elf. "Scan" her into 3DS, bring her up to Level 3. DON'T update the figure. Use her in the console, of course she's still Level 1. Get her up to Level 5. So 3DS wants to make her Level 3, but she's already Level 5. IS it smart enough to leave her at Level 5?

I suspect yes, it sounds like yes, but it sounds like most people aren't addressing this specific question. smilie
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#8 Posted: 08:11:42 10/09/2013
Wait, if I use a figure in both the 3DS and console versions, when put back on the console, that figure loses all data? O.o if that's so, maybe I won't go get them...
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#9 Posted: 14:37:51 10/09/2013
That's not the case at all, Doomslicer. You can use the figures both with the 3DS and console versions with no problem. In the 3DS version, there's no money, so you won't gain any money on it to use on the console versions, but nor will you use it if you've been using your Skylander on a console then on a 3DS.

If you level the character up on the 3DS, as long as you save the data back to the figure, it will be that level on the console version.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#10 Posted: 15:10:01 10/09/2013
Quote: niceguy1
Ahhh, but that isn't the question at hand... The QUESTION is what if you progress the figure in the 3DS version, then without updating the figure with the new level use him and upgrade him in the console version? I don't have a 3DS so I dunno.

So, Level 1 Stealth Elf. "Scan" her into 3DS, bring her up to Level 3. DON'T update the figure. Use her in the console, of course she's still Level 1. Get her up to Level 5. So 3DS wants to make her Level 3, but she's already Level 5. IS it smart enough to leave her at Level 5?

I suspect yes, it sounds like yes, but it sounds like most people aren't addressing this specific question. smilie

*sigh* i tryed to tell this
niceguy1 Blue Sparx Gems: 532
#11 Posted: 08:54:20 11/09/2013
Quote: Doomslicer
Wait, if I use a figure in both the 3DS and console versions, when put back on the console, that figure loses all data? O.o if that's so, maybe I won't go get them...

Without a 3DS I don't know much, but I've picked up enough to answer this. smilie

The difference is that the 3DS doesn't continue communicating with the figure. So what you do - the levels you gain - doesn't get written to the figure until you have the game scan the figure again, manually perform a "Save", really. No, it doesn't lose the data, (which is closely related to the thread's original question), but if you use it on the console without updating it, the figure won't know about what you've done on the 3DS until you run an update to the figure.

If I had a 3DS, I would simply make sure to do a save every time I stop playing (and probably many times in between, as it allows), then problem solved.
---
SSA- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SG- smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieLCsmilie
AWal Blue Sparx Gems: 640
#12 Posted: 18:17:20 25/09/2013
Although I haven't had much experience with how the portal and character updates work on the 3DS version of Giants, I did have a lot of playtime on the 3DS version of SSA, given I was usually using that version of the game to grind levels (as being able to rush through certain stages really, really helped get characters up to level 10 very, very quickly).

I'd talk to Wendel and get the right pair of Skylanders set up in-game. If I had played the console version with either of the characters since they were last placed on the portal, they appeared to combine the experience earned elsewhere with what was earned on the 3DS version.

I seem to vaguely remember having my series 1 Whirlwind at level 7 in the 3DS version, then 'syncing' (as in tossing Whirlwind's character on the 3DS version into the crystal activator, only to get the exact same character back) the character back to it's toy, only to discover that it was now max level. To used the toy with the current 3DS level you have to 'sync' a character like that, unlike the console versions that just toss and update on the character about once a minute or so.

It was strange how they'd update on the 3DS version, but if the toy was used elsewhere and gained experience, it always seemed to know what to combine (probably remembers the last update number from the toy, since they have two update spots, then compares that to the latest update number and how much experience has increased).
---
NinNetID: Its.AWal || 3DS FC: 5241-1904-9333 || SSA: 37/37 +3 17/17
SG: 63/63 +4 8/8 || SSF: 75/75 +1 9/9 || STT: 42/72 18/60 8/8 || SEE: 8/8
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#13 Posted: 20:05:58 25/09/2013
3DS version of SSA's leveling switchamadoodles are strange. I heard that it requires different amounts of EXP than the console versions, and that's a nightmare and so on. However, from what I hear, if the level does spaz out it usually goes higher rather than lower. I never had issues since I always got my figures to Level 10 with just one version, though.

They fixed this issue in Giants so now the levels are synced correctly, iirc. If SSA 3DS did simply add experience on, that's gone in the sequel.

3DS games scan the figure and store the character's level on the cart, and that level and experience will be written to the figure when updated.
If you levelled it further in the console version than whatever level is stored on the cart, then you just made playing the 3DS version pointless, as leveling and resetting a figure are prioritized home console > 3DS, and the extra experience accounts for nothing.

I kind of wish that Giants just kept track of what experience you got since the last update to the figure and then added it on when you updated it again. Usually completing quests, heroics etc already gets me to about Level 11 or so, so it's just easier to fill in the rest of the levels on console. I'd have an excuse to play the handheld games during spare time again.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me