Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
So, Tuesday? [CLOSED]
Excelsior Yellow Sparx Gems: 1170
#51 Posted: 22:47:18 10/09/2013
Thanks Charred.

I have been noticing aberrations for instance in the past few days there has been life followed by water followed by something Incan not remember then magic yesterday, now life and tomorrow is water again. I used to chart a long time ago but there seemed to be no recognisable pattern.

Obidawn I was wondering the exact same thing about life. Gigantus and Treerex's number one fan Dom change the picture as does Hot Dog's number one fan.
---
banksia123
Pico Blue Sparx Gems: 576
#52 Posted: 22:47:46 10/09/2013
I asked in another thread but do you need to hand collect crops to get the elemental bonus? I thought I read people had problems last Tuesday on double energy day.
Qanai Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#53 Posted: 02:06:00 11/09/2013
Quote: Woz
Crop efficiency isn't the only reason to choose shrines. The two skylanders who generate the best payouts in the game are Tree Rex and Gnarly Tree Rex. Add No 1 fan (which works for both), Gigantus (which works for both), and it really adds up. I now use these two characters to do almost everything.

If you buy life shrines, then save all your gold chests till a life element of the day, the payouts are phenomenal.

A tip on saving the chests: you can assign the skylander at any time to clear the chests. Just don't collect the chests until the right element of the day. The element of the day bonus applies when you collect it.

This works well if you consistently use the same skylander or same element to clear (tree Rex/gnarly). The same can be applied to sheep, trolls, and chompies, but the spawn limit and quests sometimes necessitates collecting these.

EDIT: Woz, you might have been implying this, but I thought I'd mention it in detail.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:08:18 11/09/2013 by Qanai
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#54 Posted: 02:46:23 11/09/2013
But that would only work if you're sending your Skylanders the night before and plan on cashing in the next day. I wouldn't see a reason to keep your Skylanders on chests, adventures, etc for days at a time when you can be using them elsewhere.
Woz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1343
#55 Posted: 03:12:42 11/09/2013
Qanai, that is an excellent tip - it didn't even occur to me to "pre-clear" but postpone collecting items since I'm simply not disciplined enough to take advantage of it. I'm very much "see balloon, click balloon". I don't think I could successfully stop myself from clicking and collecting even if I was trying to.

I've got to add, I'm REALLY enjoying Cape Girl. Being able to clear trolls, sheep and chompy's instantly has more than halved the amount of micro management I tended to fuss with. I no longer need to worry about juggling the six, ten or even 15 minute wait for skylanders to clear items and still have enough skylanders free to ensure unfettered totem collection.
#56 Posted: 03:36:55 11/09/2013
I agree. Cape Girl has been a great asset. I wasn't planning on buying her, especially after everyone complained about her and because I was saving up to get an alt house (hoping for a shrine quest), but my 5 yo accidentally hit the "buy" button. He was upset about it so I forgave him smilie She's become a huge asset, though, so I was glad I got her (too bad it was the night before companions went 50% off, though smilie ). I've been trying to keep a few troll camps and sheep mobs around. It seems to work as I usually have a lot around. So using her to clear one or two here and there comes in handy, especially to get a quick hero point boost on a Skylander close to leveling or to do a quest involving trolls/sheep. I also get to use my sidekicks to quickly clear active pods before they go empty since I only have 2 sidekicks. I missed her timed quest, though. I was close but decided to do some time travel and ended up accidentally jumping ahead without realizing it would go past the expiration of her quest and it cleared it out. Oh well.

As for my shrine question, I must decide now, I guess. I was leaning towards earth and fire, but I may end up getting life and fire. I know I never use life crops so I'll lose that bonus, but I typically only use earth crops twice a day, anyway, as I tend to check in more often. I guess I could still plant earth crops and just not harvest everytime I login, but the 4 hour time period doesn't always work with my time management. Having an extra boost for the Tree Rexes, though, would be nice.
#57 Posted: 04:16:21 11/09/2013
Quote: obidawsn
As for my shrine question, I must decide now, I guess.

Ultimately, both decisions aren't all THAT important. You're basically talking about gold here, and there WILL come a point in the game where you'll have more than you can use. The game is won or lost (if terms like that even have any meaning) in wishstones and gems.

And since shrines don't help with gems, your question is this: since nobody likes to check in EVERY hour to pick up a single wishstone, would you be better getting two of the same shrine (say two fires), and make a more concerted effort to check in on a fire day when it's giving you TWO stones each hour?

Personally, when buying shrines, I max out one element so that after that, if I'm then lucky enough to win one at the well, it counts as an extra unpurchasable shrine.
bjornolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1144
#58 Posted: 10:06:02 11/09/2013
I agree. Cape Girl has been a great asset. I wasn't planning on buying her, especially after everyone complained about her and because I was saving up to get an alt house (hoping for a shrine quest), but my 5 yo accidentally hit the "buy" button. He was upset about it so I forgave him smilie She's become a huge asset, though, so I was glad I got her (too bad it was the night before companions went 50% off, though smilie ). I've been trying to keep a few troll camps and sheep mobs around. It seems to work as I usually have a lot around. So using her to clear one or two here and there comes in handy, especially to get a quick hero point boost on a Skylander close to leveling or to do a quest involving trolls/sheep. I also get to use my sidekicks to quickly clear active pods before they go empty since I only have 2 sidekicks. I missed her timed quest, though. I was close but decided to do some time travel and ended up accidentally jumping ahead without realizing it would go past the expiration of her quest and it cleared it out. Oh well.

As for my shrine question, I must decide now, I guess. I was leaning towards earth and fire, but I may end up getting life and fire. I know I never use life crops so I'll lose that bonus, but I typically only use earth crops twice a day, anyway, as I tend to check in more often. I guess I could still plant earth crops and just not harvest everytime I login, but the 4 hour time period doesn't always work with my time management. Having an extra boost for the Tree Rexes, though, would be nice.

If only she had a friend with a skeleton key for chests!
Pico Blue Sparx Gems: 576
#59 Posted: 10:34:36 11/09/2013
Cape girl is top 3 favorite adds to the game. All around golf clap for that addition.

I'm the opposite of Woz, I'd rather check in hourly for one stone than get the same number every two days. In the end we both end up with the same number, we just took two different paths.
#60 Posted: 12:41:20 11/09/2013
I like the idea of spreading the shrines out. Only having 2 shrines, I was always bummed when they would land on days when I didn't get to play as much. Having them spread out gives me a better opportunity to get the stones. BTW, I settled on the life shrine instead of the earth shrine to get the extra gold from Tree Rex. I realized I had over 600,000 energy because I haven't been using my sanctuaries as much. So I really wasn't worried about the energy boost, right now.
Charred Blue Sparx Gems: 536
#61 Posted: 12:57:30 11/09/2013 | Topic Creator
Have you figured out how much gold you gain openning a chest with TreeRex vs putting him in a sanctuary?

Do you have both TreeRex? And the house? When you do open a chest with him, which do you skip doing: his house or the sanctuary? Today I openned a chest with TRex, the other TRex in his house but then had to use a regular life skylander in the sanctuary. I think that was non-ideal and a mistake.

I am still struggling with the ideal character to use for clearing gold chests. I usually use Ninji, put the other Ninji in the house and then use Dark Spyro (10% bonus + 25% #1 fan) in the sanctuary.
---
Activate name: Charred
#62 Posted: 22:53:55 11/09/2013
But that would only work if you're sending your Skylanders the night before and plan on cashing in the next day. I wouldn't see a reason to keep your Skylanders on chests, adventures, etc for days at a time when you can be using them elsewhere.

When the time to clear a chest is done (in other words, it has a gold coin above it) the skylander that cleared it is free to do other things. The same goes for adventures and houses, though I don't really see much advantage to not collect on a house because of element of the day.

Also, for all the people who save trolls, sheep, and chompies for the usual weekly quest of clearing them, you can clear the mobs but wait on collecting until the quest (kinda pointless if you have cape girl, but works great if you don't). The act of collecting the gold is what counts against the quest, not waiting for the skylander to convert it to gold.

The same can be done for totems. You can clear all the totem blocks, but leave the stones on the ground. If a double stone day comes along, collect the stones on that day and they're doubled. This one obviously requires lots of cleared space on the islands, so its usefulness is somewhat limited.
#63 Posted: 23:10:20 11/09/2013
Quote: Charred
Have you figured out how much gold you gain openning a chest with TreeRex vs putting him in a sanctuary?

Do you have both TreeRex? And the house? When you do open a chest with him, which do you skip doing: his house or the sanctuary? Today I openned a chest with TRex, the other TRex in his house but then had to use a regular life skylander in the sanctuary. I think that was non-ideal and a mistake.

I am still struggling with the ideal character to use for clearing gold chests. I usually use Ninji, put the other Ninji in the house and then use Dark Spyro (10% bonus + 25% #1 fan) in the sanctuary.

For the most part, I was referring to silver chests because they only take ten minutes to clear. This doesn't interfere with sanctuary as long as I do it when I am able to go back and load the sanctuary afterward. As someone pointed out before, the chests aren't going anywhere and I haven't hit a limit with having 15-20 at one time before.

As for the gold chests, I generally keep tree Rex in the sanctuary (the gold payout is higher, so the bonus % is worth more), and i use either ninjini or crusher on the chests. The tough part is when collecting to make sure not to collect gold chests on life days.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:11:31 11/09/2013 by Qanai
sklndrmommy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1508
#64 Posted: 01:57:23 12/09/2013
I haven't tried with a gold chest but with the silver chests I checked yesterday and today and I did not get an elemental bonus. Are others getting the leaves or elemental symbol to get the bonus or is just the amount of gold in the chest increased? The only bonus I noticed was the #1 fan bonus.
---
Trying to keep an updated code trading list in my guestbook for Lost Islands.
Mommy to player JacksonTreeRex.
#65 Posted: 03:44:46 12/09/2013
Sorry, I was mistaken there. No elemental bonus on silver chests, just #1 fan and gigantus for tree Rex. I would think the same applies to gold chests. I decided to run tree Rex on a gold chest and double check the numbers - it's been a while since I've added it up for him.
#66 Posted: 12:15:24 12/09/2013
I ran a test of one tree Rex in the sanctuary and one on a gold chest. The gold chest is the better choice. Tree Rex gets 30,000 (24k + 6k for giant bonus), 6k gigantus, 6k fan, and 4800 white claw for a total of 46,800. For the sanctuary, a lvl 12 tree Rex got 27450 base, plus 5490 each for fan and gigantus, totaling 38430. Even adding the element bonus, the sanctuary wouldn't be better than the chest.
#67 Posted: 14:00:40 12/09/2013 | Topic Creator
They key question would be when TreeRex is on the chest, who is in the sanctuary? And did his house get used?

And ultimately which combo is best assuming you have all characters and houses.

It probably comes down to TreeRex(chest), TreeRex(house) and ??? Sanctuary VS Ninji (chest), Ninji (House) and Dark Spyro (Sanctuary).

TreeRex will beat Ninji on the chest by 6k gold from the lost of the #1 fan. But if you have all the other Life characters in houses, your only choice in the sanctuary becomes a regular skylander. Dark spyro will beat a regular life character in the sanctuary by ~7k. This makes TreeRex better by around 1k. Kind of a wash smilie

Crusher is also a good combo since we can use Terrabite in the sanctuary and still keep the other crusher in his house. Unless they add a terrabite house.

Now we are getting really geeky smilie
---
midas73 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1379
#68 Posted: 14:29:28 12/09/2013
NOW we're getting geeky?!?! smilie
---
Activate username: "midas73". I am on a gifting hiatus so be warned...
#69 Posted: 16:08:27 12/09/2013 | Topic Creator
LOL....

Yea but I think I took it too far. And I am actively resisting the urge to break out Minitab and start figuring the average payout from the Houses...

Its like when people try to figure out the most powerful Skylander while some 6 year old probably beat the game playing kamikazye with Eruptor. smilie
---
#70 Posted: 16:27:16 12/09/2013
Quote: Qanai

When the time to clear a chest is done (in other words, it has a gold coin above it) the skylander that cleared it is free to do other things. The same goes for adventures and houses, though I don't really see much advantage to not collect on a house because of element of the day.

Also, for all the people who save trolls, sheep, and chompies for the usual weekly quest of clearing them, you can clear the mobs but wait on collecting until the quest (kinda pointless if you have cape girl, but works great if you don't). The act of collecting the gold is what counts against the quest, not waiting for the skylander to convert it to gold.

The same can be done for totems. You can clear all the totem blocks, but leave the stones on the ground. If a double stone day comes along, collect the stones on that day and they're doubled. This one obviously requires lots of cleared space on the islands, so its usefulness is somewhat limited.

Now I see what you're saying. I didn't think about them being clear before you collected as a lot of times it shows them as in use until I collect. I was thinking it was all the time with chests. It does it sometimes with adventures. But if you don't get an elemental bonus then it doesn't matter.

As for the totems, are you sure you can keep the stones? I'm pretty sure I've seen them disappear if I didn't collect them. I remember one time where I did the totem and forgot to get the wish stone. A little later, I noticed the little "explosion" that normally happens when the totem disappears and the wish stone was gone.
#71 Posted: 05:45:38 13/09/2013
Now I see what you're saying. I didn't think about them being clear before you collected as a lot of times it shows them as in use until I collect. I was thinking it was all the time with chests. It does it sometimes with adventures. But if you don't get an elemental bonus then it doesn't matter.

In my experience, a chest/sheep/troll/chompie/house/balloon will hold onto a skylander after its processing time has completed only until the item status is updated by your device (comes onto your device display or close to the edge - this is why you can always see the flash from disappearing totems). If the item is too far off your screen, it doesn't get updated, so a skylander could still be seen as busy even though the time to complete is long past.

As for the totems, are you sure you can keep the stones? I'm pretty sure I've seen them disappear if I didn't collect them. I remember one time where I did the totem and forgot to get the wish stone. A little later, I noticed the little "explosion" that normally happens when the totem disappears and the wish stone was gone.

I've only done this for a period over a few days leading up to the recent wishing weekend. I did not lose any stones.
snowknife Green Sparx Gems: 372
#72 Posted: 16:10:46 16/09/2013
Super Tuesday - Sept 17th
- 2 x Gold
- airship sale 75% off = 100 gems
#73 Posted: 16:36:34 16/09/2013
Thanks for the scoop! I just sent a bunch of skylanders on 16 and 22 hour adventures to rack up the big coins tomorrow morning.
---
#74 Posted: 16:45:03 16/09/2013
Quote: snowknife
- 2 x Gold

Surely that's not all for Super Tuesday? No new quests, no new companions, no new skylanders, no new buildings - nothing new at all?

Btw, I'm still trying to figure out how Flynn WALKED to the floating Cloudbreak Islands.
#75 Posted: 17:09:05 16/09/2013
- 2 x Gold

Surely that's not all for Super Tuesday? No new quests, no new companions, no new skylanders, no new buildings - nothing new at all?

Btw, I'm still trying to figure out how Flynn WALKED to the floating Cloudbreak Islands.

There hasn't seemed to be an update, today, which is usually when the new quests, companions, etc. appear. I was half expecting an Eye Small quest since he was introduced last week. Although I still haven't gotten mine in the mail so maybe it's a good thing.

As for Flynn, whatever happened to his balloon in SSA? Or maybe he has a new ship in Swap Force.
#76 Posted: 17:12:41 16/09/2013 | Topic Creator
The Monday update, if it happens, might change things...

They have released a new sidekick for the past 6 Monday's in a row...
---
#77 Posted: 20:58:55 16/09/2013
- 2 x Gold

There hasn't seemed to be an update, today, which is usually when the new quests, companions, etc. appear. I was half expecting an Eye Small quest since he was introduced last week. Although I still haven't gotten mine in the mail so maybe it's a good thing.

As for Flynn, whatever happened to his balloon in SSA? Or maybe he has a new ship in Swap Force.

Oh there's more all right. This week is the "Week of the Dragon", in which all dragons get an extra 25% gold bonus. The Dragons are: Bash, Camo, Cynder, Dark Spyro, Drobot, Flashwing, Jade Flashwing, Legendary Spyro, Legendary Bash, Polar Whirlwind, Spyro, Sunburn, Whirlwind and Zap.

The dragons are generally my favorites (since my daughter loves them) so this is cool.
---
Mariojedi Green Sparx Gems: 471
#78 Posted: 21:04:34 16/09/2013
Don't forget a new Dragon house that can be used by any dragon.....downside of course it costs 1200 gems!!!!! There better be one heck of a quest for that thing at that price.
#79 Posted: 12:01:37 17/09/2013
Too bad I only have regular Spyro instead of Legendary and Dark Spyro. The 25% bonus for Dragon Week on top of the 25% bonus for Spyro's fan, plus the double gold for Super Tuesday makes for a good haul if you had all of them. Right now, to get the most out of 2x gold, to use special Spyros, then Tree Rex (Tree Rex takes the advantage with Gigantus) and regular Spyro. Then Zap (if you have #1 fan). Then specials of the dragons (Jade Flashwing, Legendary Bash, Polar Whirlwind). After that use the other dragons, giants or sidekicks. Too bad it's not earth day, or we could use Bash, Legendary Bash, Flashwing and Jade Flashwing to get the element of the day bonus as well. Right now, I can only use Whirlwind (I don't have Polar Whirlwind).
#80 Posted: 12:41:01 17/09/2013 | Topic Creator
I built every ballon possible and I'm running everybody I can. I like days like today because they make you think.

I finished gathering all the skylanders last week so now its time to collect houses. I'll finally have a boathouse by the end of the day smilie
---
#81 Posted: 13:00:13 17/09/2013
I'm debating on buying an adventure balloon. I have 145 gems, so I have enough to get one. Today would be a good day to have one, though.
#82 Posted: 14:26:40 17/09/2013
I'd save gems for houses, unless you have them all...
---
Excelsior Yellow Sparx Gems: 1170
#83 Posted: 14:28:28 23/09/2013
33% off shrines and a gem an hour from Orville.
---
banksia123
#84 Posted: 14:56:25 23/09/2013
Thanks! Orville gems are nice, of course. 33% off shrines is not worth it.
---
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me