Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Real Effects of "Gamer towards Developer" Harassment
Page 1 of 1
Real Effects of "Gamer towards Developer" Harassment [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#1 Posted: 22:59:24 22/08/2013 | Topic Creator
I felt this article was worth posting here, as I've definitely seen examples of this kind of behaviour on this site.

Maybe I am overestimating the importance of this in relation to this website, but as someone who is soon starting a college course in Computer Games Design, and is hoping to get deeper into the industry, I felt I needed to spread this article around. Even if I myself am an emotionally hardened person, this issue is still really relevant and if you are passionate about games in any way, this article may be worth your time.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/...-support-groups
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#2 Posted: 23:01:50 22/08/2013
I think there is a fraction of gamers out there who have developed a serious sense of entitlement. Which is extremely unusual, but I'm sure there's a psychological explanation as to why. It's a bit saddening, but I feel like trying to reason with some of those people would prove fruitless. <.>

Thanks for sharing!
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#3 Posted: 23:14:12 22/08/2013
Wow....
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#4 Posted: 23:41:38 22/08/2013
I am now officially a hater of Call of Duty fans. Why, because of hat article. If people, will seriously get that angry just for a little tweak, that crosses the line. Another thing. I am quite happy I am a casual gamer not hardcore. I play a lot, but not enough to be considered hardcore. I don't even like games like Call of Duty, except for Team Fortress 2, but that is about it. If people really want to kill game developers, and I saw that topic(and I was willing to post), I would say "Fine, do it. But your favorite games will go away cause of YOU.". Yep, that is exactly what I would say.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8480
#5 Posted: 23:54:33 22/08/2013
Can someone explain?
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#6 Posted: 00:07:21 23/08/2013
Quote: zookinator
I am now officially a hater of Call of Duty fans. Why, because of hat article. If people, will seriously get that angry just for a little tweak, that crosses the line. Another thing. I am quite happy I am a casual gamer not hardcore. I play a lot, but not enough to be considered hardcore. I don't even like games like Call of Duty, except for Team Fortress 2, but that is about it. If people really want to kill game developers, and I saw that topic(and I was willing to post), I would say "Fine, do it. But your favorite games will go away cause of YOU.". Yep, that is exactly what I would say.

the guys that like to play like men and rush dont complain about the tweaks... its only these camping fairies in the corners that complain about the tweak... so its not all cod games, just saying.
Shroomy Green Sparx Gems: 185
#7 Posted: 01:09:20 23/08/2013
I agree, I think this is important, and yes I have seen people in this very forum bash the developers.

(Especially the fans that hate Skylanders Spyro...)
---
--Long Time Lurker--
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:09:46 23/08/2013 by Shroomy
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#8 Posted: 01:20:48 23/08/2013
Was thinking about making a topic for this, myself. But I see you've beat me to it.

Quote: HIR
I think there is a fraction of gamers out there who have developed a serious sense of entitlement. Which is extremely unusual, but I'm sure there's a psychological explanation as to why. It's a bit saddening, but I feel like trying to reason with some of those people would prove fruitless. <.>

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, pretty much this, but I still wish there was something that could be done about this. Maybe there is and we haven't found it yet, but it seems both ignoring and trying to reason with these people does no good...
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#9 Posted: 07:55:43 23/08/2013
I don't mind Call of Duty 2: Big Red One, that's about it. lol
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#10 Posted: 12:30:10 23/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: IsisStormDragon
Was thinking about making a topic for this, myself. But I see you've beat me to it.

Quote: HIR

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, pretty much this, but I still wish there was something that could be done about this. Maybe there is and we haven't found it yet, but it seems both ignoring and trying to reason with these people does no good...

The best thing that can be done is to continue to praise and respect our favourite developers, and if they do make decisions we don't agree with, respectfully and calmly disagree, as well as give critique to help the developers make a more appealing product for their intended market. Most developers appreciate constructive and respectful criticism, because it feels less like you're trying to bring them down and more like you're trying to bring them up higher from where they already were.

So basically, for every death threat or disgusting hate post you see against an honest, hard working developer, send them words of praise or encouragement.

At the end of the day, gamers need to realise that they are consumers of a product. If your favourite franchise is going in a direction you do not favour, you have no right to demand your perfect vision, nor is anyone forcing you to keep buying the games. If you are so disatisfied with a franchise's current plot to the point you would send death threats to the developers, then you should exert your anger more productively and write a fanfiction or comic. Disatisfied with a franchise's current art direction? Make some fanart in your ideal style. Disatisfied with the musical direction? Compose some songs and play them over the game's soundtrack. Disastisfied with the current overall game mechanics of a franchise? Make a fan game.

It just boggles my mind that we live in an age of gaming where you can easily work on your own content if you just put your mind to it, yet many gamers neglect to do that, in favour of threatening developers and overall, just being negative.
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#11 Posted: 16:35:59 23/08/2013
Exactly, I can never say anything bad about developers because I know I lack the talent to do their work and the willpower to try and learn. I mean, even though I bash on games like DotD and Sonic 2006, I always realize that I'll never be able to put together anything like that. Which is why I don't wish ill toward any developer. ^.^;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Xerxxees Blue Sparx Gems: 839
#12 Posted: 18:52:21 23/08/2013
I've been a software developer for almost 20 years now. Even though that article was about game developers it often goes towards all aspects of software development. Whenever you post something you have to realize that there is a person, just like you, on the other end that might read it. It's not always just 'a company'. When you say you hate something Activision did for Skylanders, it wasn't the company really that did it. It was a person, or group of persons that sat around a table and decided that was the way to go.

In many situations, software developers, truly live the code/product they're working on, it's not just a job. It's personal. So when you bash it (not constructive criticism) it hurts.

In the same way that if someone walked into your office/store and ripped you a new one because you didn't stock the shelves, or write that report, or whatever else. Imagine, just imagine, if because your shelf wasn't stocked right someone threatened to kill your whole family.

Show Devs the love.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#13 Posted: 20:33:39 23/08/2013
ewwwwww people are actually defending phil fish?????

K-Tech Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#14 Posted: 04:56:06 25/08/2013
A tiny group of people do not affect the full outcome of the sales of a product just because of simple tweaks nor they should become so cold and bitter about it. Decisions are made by people in both as a business and as an artistic approach. Suits and art will fight it out but there will be a compromise and people will not like it. That is the world we live in.

If you overreact and make threats then there is something wrong with you and accepting it is wrong from them.

Being a little skeptic over a change like from Spyro's change from dev and publisher to another dev and publisher. They made changes to fit inside their demographic. This is business. A few dozen people that bicker on the internet isn't going to change that in sales and revenue. You make money by spending it for things that may or may not work. But they thought in research this would work for anything.

I'm graduating in animation. I used to have no art talent at all. I now have skills and a cute/cool art style that people around me love and I enjoy taking criticism so I can learn to be the best. The industry whether game/cartoon/film is so harsh you will fall to your knees and cry. I won't because I will always get better and I can take it like a man. And to see random people making threats over a choice me and many others superior in the rank of duty in the business decided if a change will be made....

Oh yeah one more thing.... I and the rest of the industry will have ludicrous hours (IE EA games 100 hours a week) to make these games so people can play them.

And if the world, and by that a few stupid internet dweebs, gets mad over minimal changes... "go play something else you twit!"
---
I'm k-tech... and I approve this message.
#15 Posted: 11:01:23 25/08/2013 | Topic Creator
This may be kind of out of left field, but reading this article did remind me of something. The Rayman Legends delay.

People are deciding to boycott the game and only buy it used, because they feel Ubisoft won't learn anything if it sells well. This is especially the case with Wii U owners.

While I understand being bitter over a huge delay, especially considering the reason, I think this is an incredibly bratty attitude to have.

For one thing, Ubisoft have stated that they are only interested in games that they can sell as franchises. While that may seem greedy, it actually makes a lot of sense to take up that philosophy, because the cost of making games is really high in this day and age. It's their way of making sure they stay alive as a company.

So by boycotting Rayman Legends, all you are doing is increasing the chances of the Rayman franchise being left to rot. Why would they keep making the games if nobody seemed to want to buy them new?

The developers of the game did actually join fans in a campaign to get the Wii U version released as scheduled. But it didn't work out. Which is why I feel so annoyed that people are betraying them like this. Since the delay, the developers have added so much content to the game that wouldn't be there otherwise, and are even considering adding even more through DLC. Yet people still take this attitude towards the game.

It just really sickens me, especially since this game is being released at a budget price to begin with. It's fine if people now want other games over Rayman Legends (that was an inherrent risk of the delay), or just don't have the money to spend on this game. Don't disguise it as you doing the industry a favour though. Killing the Rayman franchise is far from doing anyone a favour. Heck, getting any franchise killed off is a sad, in my eyes, even if I don't care about, or even greatly dislike said franchise.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me