Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > I'm Really Starting to Hate My High-Functioning Autism
Page 1 of 1
I'm Really Starting to Hate My High-Functioning Autism [CLOSED]
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8554
#1 Posted: 09:14:30 19/08/2013 | Topic Creator
I'm starting to spasm a lot more recently, and it's starting to become really annoying. It seems like I cant go through one episode of Hell's Kitchen anymore without spasms at least once. BTW my spasms are caused by over-stimulation. I'm really starting to hate this.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Blayze Gold Sparx Gems: 2299
#2 Posted: 09:17:52 19/08/2013
Aww, i really wanna reach through this screen and give you a great big hug.
---
I'm wearing lots of belts..... for no reason at all ~Jinx
#3 Posted: 09:28:13 19/08/2013 | Topic Creator
SiA I try to listen to calming music, and that kinda works. I also play video games which helps me, but it's starting to go past that.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#4 Posted: 09:32:38 19/08/2013
Try making up stories while laying down. Or just lay down and pretend to sleep.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#5 Posted: 09:55:35 19/08/2013
Quote: Trix Master 100

Pretend to sleep? You may as well just sleep.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#6 Posted: 09:56:51 19/08/2013
What is Autism?
---
#7 Posted: 10:03:55 19/08/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Quote: Trix Master 100

Pretend to sleep? You may as well just sleep.

That works too.

Quote: wreckingballbob
What is Autism?

It's a disorder. http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism Plus how is that related to JCW's problem?
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:05:32 19/08/2013 by Trix Master 100
#8 Posted: 10:13:17 19/08/2013 | Topic Creator
To clarify what high-functioning autism is, is that I don't exhibit some of the classic signs of autism, but I do exhibit others. What I do is that I'm not able to handle excitement like "normal" people can, so I spasm. I also can't do things like long-term projects as good as "normal" people do, among a myriad of other things.
---
#9 Posted: 10:23:08 19/08/2013
Oh okay.
---
icon from Empoh
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#10 Posted: 12:59:12 19/08/2013
What's a spasm?
wakapro77 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#11 Posted: 13:03:35 19/08/2013
Aw hun :c Do you have a simulation toy? Something to calm your nerves? Some of the other people I knew who had the same thing always carried around a simulation toy to lessen the spasms they were having. It could be anything, I remember one person had a bath sponge as one.

Just try to find something you can hold in your hand that will calm your nerves.
---
hence, the yiffening shall come

I submit my art on my tumblr. PM me for the link.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#12 Posted: 13:33:47 19/08/2013
Aww.. smilie

If there's anything I can say: Get a stress ball, or some sort of soft toy, like a plush. That'll help.

(I wish they sold Gordon Ramsey plushies!)
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#13 Posted: 14:30:33 19/08/2013

it's time
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#14 Posted: 14:43:40 19/08/2013
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf

it's time

marry me
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#15 Posted: 14:54:30 19/08/2013
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxr2etrfKc&feature=g-like[/y outube]

it's time

rejoice rejoice
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#16 Posted: 15:35:17 19/08/2013
What is Autism?

The reason why my sister will never talk anymore T_T
Ash Starkindle Gold Sparx Gems: 2625
#17 Posted: 16:12:59 19/08/2013
What is Autism?

It's a type of disorder. Many people have it. There are many forms of Autism, such as Aspergers. I know a lot about Autism, as in 4th grade I helped a class that had only kids with Autism, and my cousin has Aspergers. It is hard to tell with some kids; as it isn't as obvious as others. Like my cousin, it can be difficult to tell. Everyone who has it acts different from each other. For example, one person won't talk, and another person could take things literally. Also, people who have it can be excited, but take it differently than people without Autism. With my cousin, it's extremely difficult to tell, like others. Hope that clears things up for you. If not, just ask me or Google Autism for more information.
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#18 Posted: 16:27:57 19/08/2013
Quote: JCW555
To clarify what high-functioning autism is, is that I don't exhibit some of the classic signs of autism, but I do exhibit others. What I do is that I'm not able to handle excitement like "normal" people can, so I spasm. I also can't do things like long-term projects as good as "normal" people do, among a myriad of other things.

I'm reading this as you get to over stimulated, correct? If this is happening, first walk away from what is doing this to you. Go to a quiet area and calm down. Just sit in quiet until it passes. You yourself can control this.
With the long term projects, take a break every so often. Eventually, you will get the project completed.
I don't quite understand why you would think you're not *normal* that's really putting yourself down. Actually you are normal, you just need to find a way to help yourself control these spasms. Try the *quiet time* . Relax with music, not head banging music either. Take a walk, just get away from the cause of your spasms, at least try these methods, alright?
Good luck to you. ^.^
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#19 Posted: 18:05:55 19/08/2013
Quote: Ash Starkindle
What is Autism?

It's a type of disorder. Many people have it. There are many forms of Autism, such as Aspergers. I know a lot about Autism, as in 4th grade I helped a class that had only kids with Autism, and my cousin has Aspergers. It is hard to tell with some kids; as it isn't as obvious as others. Like my cousin, it can be difficult to tell. Everyone who has it acts different from each other. For example, one person won't talk, and another person could take things literally. Also, people who have it can be excited, but take it differently than people without Autism. With my cousin, it's extremely difficult to tell, like others. Hope that clears things up for you. If not, just ask me or Google Autism for more information.

Thing is, my sister's autism makes her "mentally crazy". She's 12 and can't talk, read or write anything. Plus she acts, more or less, like a baby. And I mean it literally because she screams a and eats a lot, for example.

Why am I telling this? Well, I'm hoping, do you know what this kind of autism is called?
Ash Starkindle Gold Sparx Gems: 2625
#20 Posted: 18:18:18 19/08/2013
Hm... Sorry. I'm not exactly sure. I know a lot about Autism forms, but the only ones I know by name are Aspergers and Down syndrome. I'll see what I can find out.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#21 Posted: 18:51:33 19/08/2013
[User Posted Image]
-----
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#22 Posted: 18:56:52 19/08/2013
What is Autism?

The short answer is that Autism is multiple disorders that can diminish a person's communication and verbal abilities.

As to your issue, JCW, it's most likely that you are being overstimulated, as someone else mentioned. There's too much happening in the room at once and so your brain is firing off too many electrical impulses. One of them can easily misfire and thus you spasm. The recommendation is to decrease the level of stimulation. Leave the area if you can. Otherwise, lower the volume on any electronic devices, dim the lights (or turn them off), lie down, and put some ice on your head if necessary. The cold temperature should slow things down a bit. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#23 Posted: 20:45:02 19/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Thank you guys for the support, and I'll take every suggestion to heart. I've lived with this for 17 years, but it's starting to be hard.
---
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#24 Posted: 22:18:45 19/08/2013
I have autism I hug my Spyro plush.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#25 Posted: 22:21:46 19/08/2013
I'm starting to spasm a lot more recently, and it's starting to become really annoying. It seems like I cant go through one episode of Hell's Kitchen anymore without spasms at least once. BTW my spasms are caused by over-stimulation. I'm really starting to hate this.

i also hate having autism :/
#26 Posted: 22:26:50 19/08/2013
*re reads title* oh.
---
icon from Empoh
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#27 Posted: 22:56:49 19/08/2013

I'm the opposite of you as far as excitement is concerned. I too have High-Functioning Autism (Aspergers Syndrome). I can handle excitement like "normal" people can half the time.

Unlike a vast majority of people with autism, I have no problem or trouble controlling it at all. However, when I was little... I couldn't, but I had tons of help. Now, it's one of my greatest assets.

I remember my mother telling me a few times in the past I may be able to help others with the disability, aside from myself since again, I don't have any problems controlling it for the most part.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 23:10:10 19/08/2013 by Iblistech
#28 Posted: 01:58:31 20/08/2013
Quote: SPARXisAWESOME
I have a mild case Aspergers Syndrome. I'm usually alright until I see other people who aren't my family members, then I get all stressed and freak out and I shiver a lot.. That's why I like talking to people on the internet, as I don't get so scared. I don't have to look into their eyes or speak directly to them. According to my parents I did a lot of weird stuff as a young child.. apparently I still do.

I just flat-out had either little or no control whatsoever over my autism when I was a child. As for talking to other people who aren't in my family, I don't have any trouble with that half of the time.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 02:01:35 20/08/2013 by Iblistech
#29 Posted: 02:11:15 20/08/2013
Quote: Iblistech
I have a mild case Aspergers Syndrome. I'm usually alright until I see other people who aren't my family members, then I get all stressed and freak out and I shiver a lot.. That's why I like talking to people on the internet, as I don't get so scared. I don't have to look into their eyes or speak directly to them. According to my parents I did a lot of weird stuff as a young child.. apparently I still do.

I just flat-out had absolutely NO control over mine when I was a child whatsoever... I was something of a monster, but not entirely. As for talking to other people who aren't in my family, I don't have any trouble with that half of the time.

I'm told that I used to sit on the floor rubbing the edge of my blanket between my fingers, stare at the wall for a ages and just ignore everyone. Unfortunately due to my anti-social behavior I never actually had any chums to spend time with during my childhood :I

Sorry to hear that. smilie You've got friends here who like you for you are, myself included. In the midst of struggling to control mine, I managed to make lots of friends who cared about me and helped me get through that storm.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:11:44 20/08/2013 by Iblistech
#30 Posted: 02:28:00 20/08/2013
Quote: Iblistech

I'm told that I used to sit on the floor rubbing the edge of my blanket between my fingers, stare at the wall for a ages and just ignore everyone. Unfortunately due to my anti-social behavior I never actually had any chums to spend time with during my childhood :I

Sorry to hear that. smilie You've got friends here who like you for you are, myself included. In the midst of struggling to control mine, I managed to make lots of friends who cared about me and helped me get through that storm.

Thank you. You are all the best friends I could ever have. smilie

You're welcome, and I feel the same way. I always look out for my friends and comfort them when they need it. I'm pretty much guardian-like natured.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:29:41 20/08/2013 by Iblistech
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me