darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Swap Force Prices vs. Infinity Prices
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Swap Force Prices vs. Infinity Prices [CLOSED]
PokeLink09 Blue Sparx Gems: 946
#1 Posted: 18:56:02 23/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Disney Infinity is coming closer to us, so the prices for each of the products have been revealed. They are:
Starter Pack=$75
Single Figure=$13
Triple Pack=$30
Playset=$36.

Many people are comparing Infinity to Swap Force due to the fact you use toys to play in the game. Activision wants Swap Force to do well in a time were a similar game is being released, so we can take a guess on how the swap force products will be priced. My guess is that:

Starter Pack=$75
S3 Figures=$10
Triple Packs=$25
Adventure Packs=$25
Swap Force Figures=$12
Swap Force Triple Pack=$30

Most of the prices I guessed are the standard for every skylanders game, but the new Swap Force characters have different prices. I think they will cost $12 because they need to spend more money to put the magnets on the figures, but Activision doesn't want people to think they are overpricing their products in comparison to the Infinity Figures. I also guessed $30 for a Swap Force Triple Pack because that matched up to the Lightcore Triple Packs. What do you think? Please leave a comment expressing your thoughts and please, DON'T ARGUE ABOUT IF INFINITY OR SWAP FORCE IS BETTER.
Pieman87 Green Sparx Gems: 430
#2 Posted: 18:59:21 23/07/2013
^ Swap Force are $15, confirmed, and they don't have Swap Triples, they have Swap Doubles, likely to be $25.

And Disney Infinity singles are $14, not $13.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#3 Posted: 19:51:35 23/07/2013
have you got the prices in £?
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#4 Posted: 00:11:38 24/07/2013
Scuze me, but they announced Double Packs for swappers, not triple packs.
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#5 Posted: 00:14:12 24/07/2013
Yeah, swappers are $15 and LC's are $12, well technically, the prices are $14.99 and $11.99.
---
#hu
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#6 Posted: 00:18:38 24/07/2013
Skylanders for me only. Forget about all that Disney trash.
#7 Posted: 00:28:07 24/07/2013
Yup, too expensive for me, and that's not the only reason I'm not getting it.
---
#hu
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#8 Posted: 01:04:01 24/07/2013
Ugh...seriously considering leaving this forum because of all you people saying "Skylanders is better, Infinity sucks" and also Play Sets are $35.
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
#9 Posted: 01:11:24 24/07/2013
I'm not saying it sucks, I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to me.
---
#hu
Takadox360 Gold Sparx Gems: 2852
#10 Posted: 01:14:16 24/07/2013
Btw.....when is the release of DI??
---
i am trash
#11 Posted: 01:16:14 24/07/2013
August or September. Probably August though
---
nyeheheheheh

Will171717 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1208
#12 Posted: 01:17:08 24/07/2013
I'm not getting infinity for three reasons 1 I hate Disney 2 it is more pricey than skylanders 3 it doesn't appeal to me
---
henlo
#13 Posted: 01:19:04 24/07/2013
Quote: hardcoreignitor
August or September. Probably August though

I already herd that it is in August,but does someone know the exact date.

Btw,am I the only one who thinks that the toys look cheap?
---
i am trash
Pieman87 Green Sparx Gems: 430
#14 Posted: 01:24:42 24/07/2013
^ August 18.
#15 Posted: 01:29:51 24/07/2013
^ Thanks
---
i am trash
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:26:00 24/07/2013 by Takadox360
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#16 Posted: 02:03:16 24/07/2013
Quote: Takadox360
^ Tahnks

I sense Activision will have a lump in their throat. Hope they brought more than hi-def, local play and 12 chapters.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:03:44 24/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
#17 Posted: 03:21:22 24/07/2013
Quote: Rickorio
I'm not saying it sucks, I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to me.

I wasn't targeting you specifically (sorry that it seemed that way). And also it's about as expensive as Skylanders and you get WAY more gameplay.
---
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#18 Posted: 03:40:14 24/07/2013
So, let's see the value here.

Skylanders single pack: 10 bucks

You get a figure that can level to 20, choose between 2 upgrade paths, receive permanent stat boosts, and play in EVERY level of the game. Some figures will unlock Heroic Challenges in SSA or Giants.

Disney Infinity single pack: 14 bucks

You get a Disney branded character that can only play in their respective world, unless you waste your life building a level for them to play in with other Disney branded characters. No leveling. No permanent upgrades. No permanent stat boosts.

I guess it's a case of less is actually more.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#19 Posted: 03:47:55 24/07/2013
Oh, and this is true value here *sarcasm*

I hear Infinity will release characters that can only play in Toy Box Mode, because they don't have a playset to go with. 13 bucks for a figure that can only play in one mode of the game. Talk about giving people a good ripping.
---
#20 Posted: 03:51:02 24/07/2013
Quote: GameMaster78

You get a figure that can level to 20, choose between 2 upgrade paths, receive permanent stat boosts, and play in EVERY level of the game. Some figures will unlock Heroic Challenges in SSA or Giants.

You get a Disney branded character that can only play in their respective world, unless you waste your life building a level for them to play in with other Disney branded characters. No leveling. No permanent upgrades. No permanent stat boosts.

Thats exactly what I think.,To expensive for less stuff. They also look very cheap too. They should cost about 5-7 dollars.
I'm sorry for the parents which kids want all figures.
---
i am trash
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#21 Posted: 06:06:36 24/07/2013
Overall I feel Skylanders will be alright and only a couple of people will like Disney Infinity. As everyone is saying and myself included, the gameplay in Disney is high, but the individual characters seem limited in diversity and uniqueness so in the end, Disney Infinity feels too much of an investment for a single new world with only a few characters to choose from. Not to mention that I can easily see the replay value becoming way more repetitive and boring in Infinity where Skylanders Swap Force will feel a lot more entertaining in replay value as you can use so many characters and play in different ways.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#22 Posted: 06:20:21 24/07/2013

I hear Infinity will release characters that can only play in Toy Box Mode, because they don't have a playset to go with. 13 bucks for a figure that can only play in one mode of the game. Talk about giving people a good ripping.

You know that already sounds like a serious recipe for disaster. What if the rumored sorcerer Mickey or dare I say all of the cartoon animated characters from classic Disney films are the characters that only work in Toy Box Mode? That would so betray the fans as they make no worlds for the Disney classics or even their own mascot.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#23 Posted: 08:27:49 24/07/2013
Quote: yelvy
have you got the prices in £?

Yeah we want prices in pounds!
---
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#24 Posted: 10:06:01 24/07/2013
disney are to greedy and have set the prices to high. the quality just ain't there when it comes to the disney infinity figurines and the game looks so boring. i give it six months and then you will find this disney infinity fail in the bargain bin of not want.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#25 Posted: 10:59:18 24/07/2013

Well, you don't have to buy those characters. I could be wrong, but some of those characters are prerelease of characters that will be part of future sets.

By the same token, is it a value to bring an in game variant, lightcore figs with no wow pow?

Quote: GhostRoaster617
Overall I feel Skylanders will be alright and only a couple of people will like Disney Infinity. As everyone is saying and myself included, the gameplay in Disney is high, but the individual characters seem limited in diversity and uniqueness so in the end, Disney Infinity feels too much of an investment for a single new world with only a few characters to choose from. Not to mention that I can easily see the replay value becoming way more repetitive and boring in Infinity where Skylanders Swap Force will feel a lot more entertaining in replay value as you can use so many characters and play in different ways.

I think a couple is a bit of an underestimate lol.

So, you enjoy playing the same levels with the same enemy configuration over, and over, and over and over? While you can argue Skylander figures have more "abilities" to them, there's way more creativity offered in Toy Box mode to make up for it. And, oh yeah...online makes it very dynamic.

Keep putting your heads in the sand. I'm rooting for Disney's arrival in the toys to life market. Maybe Activision will get off their rump and really do something now.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 11:08:21 24/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#26 Posted: 12:18:37 24/07/2013
Quote: kappapopm
disney are to greedy and have set the prices to high. the quality just ain't there when it comes to the disney infinity figurines and the game looks so boring. i give it six months and then you will find this disney infinity fail in the bargain bin of not want.

This so much. I could see the price justified if they looked exactly like they did in the movies. For example Jack Sparrow looking like his action figure NOT a watered down cartoon version. While i give Disney props for creativity their characters designs are just too basic to justify $13 per figure. There is a lot of detail that goes into skylanders figures and the detail has only increased from the first game to the second. Just compare a figure like Mr.Incredible to even one of the more basic skylanders like Eruptor (just off the top of my head) Mr.Incredible is basically just a figure of a guy with the details of his suit painted on. Eruptor while still having a basic design still has the details etched into his figure from his teeth to the volcanic cracks around his body. (I could have picked a better example from infinity but i am too tired at the moment)

I'd be more than willing to try the game if it didnt cost so much. I like the idea of playing as some of my favorite Disney characters but unless i see a drop in price or a rise in quality i will not be picking the game up
---
Praise Helix!!!
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#27 Posted: 13:03:40 24/07/2013
IF YOU ARE ON DISNEY INFINTY FANS DO NOT SAY SKYLANDERS IS BETTER! YOU WILL WILL GET BAN GUN!
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#28 Posted: 13:47:09 24/07/2013
Well, the rumors currently, are that Jack Skelington, Wreck-it-Ralph, Venellope (sp), Phineas, Ferb, and Agent P are Toy Box only characters.

That would totally suck, because a NBC playset would be cool. Then again, so would a WIR and Phineas and Ferb playset.

Another disaster in the making - and this comes from doing some research last night on this Infinityfans website - is that there are 10 exclusive Power Discs. The worst thing about this, is the store supposedly carrying them hasn't even announced how to get them. Once one knows how to get them, I bet it's near impossible for everyone who wants a complete set to get them, because they will be limited.

See, with Skylanders, at least you have the ability to get what you want, if you buy on the day they come out (ie ingame variants like Granite, Scarlet, Polar).
---
#29 Posted: 16:37:02 24/07/2013

Actually the characters can level up (up to 15), they each have a 20 minute mission in the toy box. And the reason to not allow for example Sulley into another world like Pirates of the Caribbean was to hold some continuity between franchises, it was also the decision of the different filmmakers to do this.
---
mo1134 Blue Sparx Gems: 561
#30 Posted: 16:51:59 24/07/2013
The prices I keep seeing for DI differ from a dollar and I found out that MSRP on DI figures is the lower # and the one dollar more expensive price is what gamestop is selling at. Why the heck does Gamestop raise the price over MSRP, are they that confident that people will go there instead of anywhere else, without any regard to paying more?
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#31 Posted: 17:10:02 24/07/2013
Quote: JetVac96

Actually the characters can level up (up to 15), they each have a 20 minute mission in the toy box. And the reason to not allow for example Sulley into another world like Pirates of the Caribbean was to hold some continuity between franchises, it was also the decision of the different filmmakers to do this.

No one really does give a poo about continuity of films in video games. Honestly, this is a bad move for DI to only make characters play in their respective world.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#32 Posted: 09:46:11 25/07/2013
Not to mention they'd need ramps for Cars characters.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
SkyDaddy Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#33 Posted: 00:04:58 26/07/2013
Wow! We sure are getting a little defensive when it comes to Disney Infinity but sadly they are for the wrong reasons.

During the San Diego comic con I was able to get a chance to experience this game first hand (and even got a chance to take home a sealed figure as part of a pre-order). Now I am a hardcore Skylanders fan I think the game is truly different from Skylander BUT it does have features that is a sure win for Disney and a good reason for me to buy and "collect them all". The sad truth is the Disney is positioned to pull a "hat trick" on Skylanders Swap Force and product pricing should be the least of our concerns.

Some things that will be key to Disney Infinity's success and I am telling this so maybe Activision can understand why I might not be buying the 3rd game.

1. Online connectivity - As I stated a long time ago this was a feature that I was looking for in the 3rd game of Skylanders. Unfortunately this was still not available in the upcoming game which is very disappointing. Not only is Disney allowing a 2 player network co-op but a 4 player co-op will be available meaning 4 times the fun. I know for a fact that this is supported in the Toy Box mode. I did forget to ask is if this is available in the actual playset worlds or if this is available across an internet connection. The sad part is that we have 3 Skylanders game and Activision thinks that interaction between players (and fans across a network) inside the actual game is not important. Disney is doing it on the their first game which shows how much Disney values this feature and Activision should pay attention. Bottom line is that any game that supports online or network co-op or gameplay is an essential element to a successful game. Activision should know. They own COD and other titles that thrive on this feature and yet they have a multi-million dollar franchise that does not incorporate it even after 2 game releases.

Also the DI network co-op is seamless meaning you can drop in/out of someone's toy box without any intrusion to the current toy box owner or other players currently connected to the toy box.

2. Toy Box mode - this IMHO opinion is the game's best feature. It is basically the Disney version of Minecraft. Not only did I saw tons of items you can use but each item has a programmable component associated with it. Meaning almost every object can be linked to a sort of trigger object that will activate specific actions of another object. I actually saw my daughter quickly setup a finish line that would trigger fireworks beside the finish line area as her car went past it. The interactions are also numerous meaning one object could trigger a sequence of unique actions giving the player "infinite" possibilities when creating their worlds. Another thing I was told was "worlds" will be downloadable and players will have the ability to share their worlds. This is a huge thing because Disney is actually helping fans connect with other fans which is something to be desired with Skylanders.

The toy box feature is also guaranteed hours and hours of gameplay that is non-repetitive like leveling up Skylanders which you can only do so much. IMHO opinion the playsets worlds are really secondary and this is what the game is truly all about.

This feature has also been tried and tested by Disney. I was informed that the original concept of the toy box was very popular from a previous game or some game that they came up that people did not want to leave their worlds.

3. Characters are well established and have a fanbase around them - regardless of what you say this is one key aspect of DI that Activision is going to struggle with. The fact that all characters are established is a big help when it comes to pushing this game. The characters have a huge draw to them meaning any person who plays video games and watches the character's movie or show is going to most likely get DI or at least their DI figures. The fact that it is a Disney collectible might be even enough to get people to simply buy and collect the figures. With the potential to do a movie tie-in for any character for this game then again pushing this product is a lot easier for Disney.

4. Marketing - Activision sucks when it comes to marketing the upcoming Skylanders game. At this point they should be pulling all the stops and giving us fans more to buzz about. Sadly that is not the case.

On the other hand I was very impressed that Disney was giving out the actual toys for the game ahead of the release while Activision has only been giving out access to the toys to special media channels. Giving the toys out to fans early was a hug risk but is likely to pay off since it gives the fans something physical to buzz about rather than reading rumors or bits of information about an upcoming game. Disney also had the DI game in the XBox lounge of comic con aside from the their own Disney Infinity room off site from the convention which was pretty cool. Skylanders at comic con...I don't think Activision knows how much buzz the San Diego comic con can generate for their game. The San Deigo Comic con is a big pop culture convention. If you want to get a word out about something or create a buzz then you do it at the San Deigo comic con. Toy companies like Hasbro, Mattel, Lego and some brands like Nickolodeon have been using SD comic con get the buzz out on their products. Again Activision needs to step up their game if they want Skylanders to succeed.

Disney is also having a big reveal at their D23 Expo in Anaheim, CA next month just a couple of days before the DI release. Rumors have been flying about the first ever exclusive to be given out and I'm curious to know how much the exclusives will be on ebay which should give everyone an idea how potentially popular the game will be. Also Disney has all the necessary channels in place to push their product. Just having Disneyland and the Disney channel is enough to cover an even wider audience.

Also the Disney Planes movie is coming out almost the same time as the DI reveal @ D23 Expo. We might be seeing the first of many instances where Disney will use their movies to promote their game and vice-versa. A sure win-win strategy if Disney does decide to do it.

5. Timing - the timing of the release of the game is very risky but you have to understand that the August release will allow Disney some wiggle room to make adjustments to their marketing, advertising and product strategies. The proximity of the DI release to the Skylanders release is also guaranteed to take away some profit from Skylanders as owning both games and their figures will be too expensive. At one point players and collectors will have to decide and I won't be surprised to see Skylanders fans buying into the the DI game.

Bottom line is Activision needs to step up and gives us more info for the upcoming Skylanders swap force. They need to give us more to be excited about their game.
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#34 Posted: 00:14:11 26/07/2013
Thank you, you have just proven why Activision is blind to us fans... I mean is a slow trickle of info to much to ask?
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#35 Posted: 01:00:31 26/07/2013
Quote: SkyDaddy

1. Online connectivity

2. Toy Box mode

3. Characters are well established and have a fanbase around them

4. Marketing - Activision sucks when it comes to marketing the upcoming Skylanders game. At this point they should be pulling all the stops and giving us fans more to buzz about. Sadly that is not the case.

The San Deigo Comic con is a big pop culture convention. If you want to get a word out about something or create a buzz then you do it at the San Deigo comic con. Toy companies like Hasbro, Mattel, Lego and some brands like Nickolodeon have been using SD comic con get the buzz out on their products. Again Activision needs to step up their game if they want Skylanders to succeed.

5. Timing

1. Granted. Activision’s reason for leaving it out (online play is hard for kids and/or kids might not be safe online) are wrong and old fashioned respectively.

2. Granted. Although Minecraft has is a goal, it has an attached game and it has inherent danger within the world. People often refer to it as digital lego, but it wouldn’t be anything near as popular without survival mode… We know this because block building games aren’t new.
It’ll be interesting to see what people do with it, but it might not help sell toys.

3. This is the one spot where I totally disagree.
If Skylanders was still a unknown franchise you might have a point, because then it would be well loved characters versus some guys no one has ever heard of. But Skylanders is now a major thing, and it’s a major thing that already exists in the console space, not in the film space.

Given the new environment,I think the exposure of Disney IP might actual be a subtle downside – because what I’m seeing is that new Skylanders are new and exciting while the Disney toys are just the same characters that they’ve had for years now. Monsters Inc is a little bit more in vogue due to the movie, but the epic disinterest around the Incredibles and cars is… epic.
My nieces have had Incredibles and Monsters Inc toys for a long time… and they don’t seem too enthusiastic about getting more for their console. But those new Skylanders – exciting.

And as an adult I definitely have a maximum saturation point for Disney characters.

4. Well, Activision might have missed an opportunity to market to you, but Activision has been pretty consistent at targeting a specific demographic and they will keep wailing away at that. I’m not sure if that’s the ‘right’ move, but it’s worked for them so far.

It kind of makes sense that Disney would come out swinging there, as they already have a presence with their movies and shows, but it’s more of a stretch for Activision to make waves.
Plus, it might be worth noting that over here Comic Con is a non-thing, particularly in regards to gaming. E3 coverage quickly gets disseminated around the globe, but movies/TV own Comic Con.
Which brings me to:
Quote:
Bottom line is Activision needs to step up and gives us more info for the upcoming Skylanders swap force. They need to give us more to be excited about their game.

But as you pointed out already, Disney can leverage their TV/Movie business to promote their game – and they can do this via their already funded movie promotion platform. Any place a Disney movie is already paying to be promoted can also promote DI for very little extra cost. For example, if Disney were already paying big bucks at Comic Con to promote their content, just popping DI on the end of that would have cost little extra ; whereas Activision would have had to pay (comparatively) a lot more to get a fair presence. Hell, Disney even have their own channel that can bang the drum.

What I’m getting at is that Activision need to be smarter about how and when they market their IP. Anything they did at Comic-con would likely be drowned out by other comic/movie promotion (promotion that Disney basically own) and they would look half-hearted compared to Disney’s massive presence.
Plus, they can’t risk getting people hyped now, only to have the hype fade away between now and release – which is certainly a risk, because they aren’t marketing to us, they are marketing to kids. And any other big tend could wipe away the Skylander hype between now and go day.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:01:07 26/07/2013 by Tel Prydain
#36 Posted: 02:02:02 26/07/2013
Quote: SkyDaddy
Wow! We sure are getting a little defensive when it comes to Disney Infinity but sadly they are for the wrong reasons.

Your explanation was fantastic and I hope the users on this forum will take the time to read it. I am actually considering not getting the next game as well now but I probably still will.
---
cbunny84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1403
#37 Posted: 02:16:49 26/07/2013
That would be stupid to have double instead of triple packs. 25 bucks for 2? You'd only be saving a dollar if that.
---
new edition: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#38 Posted: 02:21:17 26/07/2013
Quote: cbunny84
That would be stupid to have double instead of triple packs. 25 bucks for 2? You'd only be saving a dollar if that.

I think you misread. For Swap Force there will still be triple packs for corelanders. (saves approx $5 as each figure costs $10)

There will ALSO be double packs for Swappable figures also at $25. (each Swaplander is approx $15 so you save $5 buy buying a double pack.)
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
#39 Posted: 04:00:29 26/07/2013
Online in any game can be a bad thing. Most of the time you play with team killer playing trolls. What's to say you don't get in an online Skylanders game with some troll who wants to stand still, just to keep you from moving?

I see it happen with adults playing Halo all the time. I will get teammates who kill me for the fun of it. They don't care about getting booted or banned. To them, it's fun. Now imagine it happening in Skylanders or Infinity.

Toy Box Mode isn't going to be for people who have lives. Not everyone can spend hours upon hours making levels, when they need to make a living. As I said before, being a screenwriter means I get to create things, but that creation can land me hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.

My son has been so addicted to Minecraft lately, but after beating the Ender Dragon and building numerous worlds, he finally said about just 2 months, "it's getting boring." Lots of people will drop Toy Box like a bad habit. Don't forget, we live in a world where 5 game systems (7 by the end of the year) will co-exist. Some may ditch Toy Box for the new Skylanders, some may ditch it to play the next Call of Duty. Some may ditch it for Killer Instinct, some will ditch it for Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Why else do you see brand new games popped up in the used sections of Gamestop as soon as the day after release sometimes? Too many games release, which means little time to invest in last weeks games.

I don't think Activision has anything to worry about. Disney literally did nothing unique with Infinity. Everything was borrowed from another game. Toys to Life? Skylanders. Toy Box Mode? Little Big Planet, RPG Maker, Fighter Maker, Mincraft, etc. Bootleg Metal Gear Solid (ie Monster's University Playset)? Metal Gear Solid. Cars Playset? Cars, Cars 2, Mario Kart, Burnout. Lone Ranger Playset? Red Dead Redemption. Incredibles Playset? Crackdown, Prototype.

When Skylanders first came along, it was new. Infinity is just sloppy seconds in my opinion. This is coming from someone who will buy it, as a novelty.

Skylanders will be fine. People will play Toy Box for a couple of months at best and either trade it in (if stores take trades on it) or put it away because GTA V, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Xillia, Rayman Legends, Batman: Arkham Origins, Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, DKC: TF, Wind Waker HD, Assassin's Creed IV, or any of the other ten million games coming out in the fall will be coming out.

Same goes for Skylanders, of course.

As for marketing. I saw Skylanders displays at my local TRU's, with the first 3 Legendaries on display, when I first came back from Las Vegas in July 2011. That was 3 months before the game even came out. Ever since, there has been a Skylanders presense everywhere.

However, we are not even a month from release of Infinity, and I see no bought shelf space for figures. No displays. I do see preorder cards, but you have to really look at the preorder cards for all games to see them. Skylanders preorder cards are right next to them, though.

I don't think Infinity is doing well at all with marketing. Only new info I see, is the info I have to look up myself by going to Youtube or Infinity fan-sites. Nothing at stores telling us to watch this space for Infinity figures, and we're just 24 days from release.
---
eruptor1999 Green Sparx Gems: 219
#40 Posted: 18:52:49 31/07/2013
swap force for the win!!! smilie
#41 Posted: 20:54:12 31/07/2013
Wowzers....I want Infintity now...
---
nyeheheheheh

SkylandFollower Green Sparx Gems: 151
#42 Posted: 23:02:13 31/07/2013
Agreed Post #33. For some time now, I have been wondering why I'm even going to bother playing through Swap Force. I played through Giants and I played through Spyro's Adventure. And they're both great games, but they're far too similar... And too short for the cost. Frigging mind-numbingly repetitive. It's not just in gameplay, Giants felt phoned in as a rushed, mostly inferior sequel altogether: the plot and writing were mediocre, the characters were uninteresting, the level design felt lazy, and they focused wayyyyyy too much on adding new toys without giving more content for them. I have ranted about why I dislike the way the franchise is going before, that's just the simple version. I could normally excuse this, but Skylanders is also very expensive, along with its repetition and overfamiliarty and lack of challenge.

And I feel like Activision want nothing but my money... I have not had new stock in my area for a long time... And I'm missing out on many new figures that they never release here, or have to spend a new starter pack worth to get... Getting new figures is a CHORE. And they never update the fans with news. Infinity may end up the same- but so far, Disney have kept in touch with their fans more, and I think that they will heed the mistakes of Skylanders and prepare better stock(which- frankly, they have more cash to burn on doing). I don't care, either, that Infinity costs more if it gives me a proportionally better experience(and even if it doesn't, Infinity's figures look much more detailed).

And I'll be honest here, Swap Force does not excite me in any aspect, from what I've seen, and it's honestly the last chance I'm going to give this franchise at all unless they do something mindblowing- as a whole, not just by this franchise's standards- in a future instalment. Skylanders never had much special going for it besides the toys, and the magic of that has already worn off since the games don't make you feel like a Portal Master any more, it's time that they focused on gameplay... That's why I like Infinity, it focuses more on gameplay, I don't care if it's "innovative"- it just looks more fun. Heck, Skylanders was fun in the first place because it was nostalgic, which is basically the opposite of innovation.

Quote:
Online in any game can be a bad thing.

And? It's optional. The option is there. Skylanders doesn't even give you the option, when the game
They can easily block kids from trolling you online. Keep removing their Skylander? Boot them off. They stand still? Boot them off. They pause the game for too long? Boot them off. And parents should be teaching their kids proper manners- don't blame the devs for having online, with sucky players.
Skylanders could greatly benefit from online allowing you to fight with and against other players, using other strategies, instead of fighting the same enemies with the same poorly-designed AI. And after three games we still don't have it. It isn't a difficult thing to add, it shouldn't take this long, and the players have been asking for it. They said the most requested feature was jumping but from what I've seen, I think it's online multiplayer.
There is nothing stopping you from going online and talking to nicer people anyway, setting up battles with them. Talk to friends and play with them. Anything CAN be bad, but anything CAN be great as well, online is not just a bad thing in itself, and it isn't mandatory here, it's just an option that's there for people who want to play with one another. If someone is griefing just stop playing with them, Infinity doesn't have random matchups. By the way... Playing games can be bad for your health!

Quote:
Toy Box Mode isn't going to be for people who have lives. Not everyone can spend hours upon hours making levels, when they need to make a living. As I said before, being a screenwriter means I get to create things, but that creation can land me hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.

Hey, I have a great idea: how about instead of playing Skylanders, we quit playing games for fun time-wasting, and instead, we go beta test games and make a wage from that? We're wasting time enjoying things! Not all people want to make huge epic worlds. Yes, to some people, the best experience of the game will be the satisfaction of finishing that huge platforming experience you've been working on for months, but some people just find it awesome that they can race Dash with Lightning McQueen around the pre-built toy boxes or quickly make a soccer game to play with their friends. Doing this is not NEARLY as painstaking as designing, coding, and playtesting a whole game.

Quote:
When Skylanders first came along, it was new. Infinity is just sloppy seconds in my opinion. This is coming from someone who will buy it, as a novelty.

I got bored of Skylanders within the first month and a half(slightly longer in SA, thanks to APs, and being a generally better game). At least with Infinity, you aren't doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over before you do get bored of it. You get the option to play Pirates, Incredibles, Monsters, or Toy Box with just the starter pack. Those play sets are also supposed to last around 6 hours each to beat(so about 18 hours, just for the standard three). With Swap Force you get three characters and a few hours worth of fighting over and over. Only turbo zones break the mold- and even those are inaccessible to many of the Skylanders. Skylanders have different gameplay types, but the game feels so samey all of the time.
And Skylanders has been done before. Dungeon crawler? Gauntlet, Diablo, World of Warcraft... Toys to life? UB Funkeys.

Quote:
I don't think Infinity is doing well at all with marketing. Only new info I see, is the info I have to look up myself by going to Youtube or Infinity fan-sites. Nothing at stores telling us to watch this space for Infinity figures, and we're just 24 days from release.

-At least it's better than Acti's complete and utter lack of information. You keep saying "they don't feed us after announcement till E3 and then steadily up to game release", whereas Infinity release new information all the time, wether or not you see it. It isn't hard to sub their YouTube channel. And you need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for Skylanders news.
-My store already has a big Infinity poster, while I have not even seen tiny niche flyers for Swap Force yet. Skylanders has been out for years and both stock and marketing are pathetic where I live. We only have wave one stock, with dabbles of SA stock, and if you're lucky, maybe some stock from wave four or five. If Infinity ends up being a critical success Disney are rich enough to advertise it then, they aren't fools, they want to see wether people buy and enjoy the game. Skylanders did the same- it used Spyro himself as a backup marketing tool back in SA.
-Also, please look at the Skylanders Facebook page, and then the Infinity Facebook page, and around the net in general. Infinity pretty much already has a following as big as Skylanders, which has been going on for two and a half years, and the first game isn't even out yet.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:07:44 31/07/2013 by SkylandFollower
#43 Posted: 02:36:34 01/08/2013
Dude, just because DI has a few extra features than SWAP Force, doesn't mean that it will sell any less the SSA or Giants did, because there will aleays be people knew to the franchise, and trust me, there were A LOT of newcomers to skylanders who joind the world of skylands during Giants.

Though, I do agree that they need to add new features, like online play, even if it is only battle mode, they need to add it. Because, like in every game (I'm guessing, I don't have a console tht has online play) there is always a way to block people from playing with kids. Plus, what are they scared of? Even if one game was a flop, they will always have their diehard skylanders fans, and the new ones that always join each year. And about DI. IMO the only things going for it is the fact it was made by Disney, has online multiplayer, and that there is hours of play that cones with just the starter pack. I mean seriously, who would want to spend hours of time building levels for other people to play, with bothing coming to then in return, where they could be out playing, or spending time with their family. And the only reason I'm buying it is because I have $100 to spend at a Disney store.

And the length of gameplay is a completely different story. I do believe that the game beeds to be longer, and if things are correct with the time it takes for a chapter in SWAP Force, than it should be about the length of one Infinity play set, and I really do think they will lose some buyers if they don't increase the gameplay.

Anyway, some people are really looking forward to this game, and DI, so just stop talking about the downsides of these games, and talk about the good parts of the game.
---
#hu
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#44 Posted: 02:46:47 01/08/2013
Even if Skylanders are worth more than Disney Infinity, I still would buy anything that is not made by Disney.
#45 Posted: 03:03:57 01/08/2013
Dude, just because it Disney doesn't mean it's bad, because we don't even know what the gameplay is like.
---
#hu
#46 Posted: 22:05:42 02/08/2013
Quote: Rickorio
Dude, just because it Disney doesn't mean it's bad, because we don't even know what the gameplay is like.

I don't understand what you're saying, there are plenty of gameplay videos of Disney Infinity...
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#47 Posted: 00:13:50 03/08/2013
Ok, I'm just going to say this. We asked for jumping, we got jumping. Now we are asking for multiplayer, and will probably get it, in the fourth game. The game was already in development by almost a year. How can you expect to have a thing asked that late? Just be patient...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
AtticusMom1313 Red Sparx Gems: 83
#48 Posted: 01:26:57 03/08/2013
I personally don't want online games. We don't have Internet access at home. I access the Net with my iPhone or at the library.
#49 Posted: 01:50:20 03/08/2013
Atticus, I respect your descision, but alas, you are in the small minority.
---
nyeheheheheh

#50 Posted: 03:27:24 03/08/2013
Yup, who do you think they are going to listen two? The over thousands of people askin for online, or the seldom few who don't what it? Not trying to be mean, but, just saying.
---
#hu
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me